Tuesday Morning Update

As you probably know by now, there was no practice today. The Caps are in the midst of an incredibly busy stretch and, at this point, practice might do more harm that good.

Anyway, as far injuries go, Shaone Morrisonn and Sergei Fedorov both skated today but it doesn't look like either will be making the trip to Raleigh for tomorrow's game, which is for first place in the Southeast Division.

Viktor Kozlov, however, is traveling. He missed last night's game with an undisclosed injury but he skated hard this morning and looked pretty good to me. Though the team won't say what's wrong with him, he's still wearing a brace on the knee he sprained earlier this season. If he's not sore in the morning, he might play, which would force Coach Bruce Boudreau to take someone out of the lineup.

As for tomorrow's goalie, Boudreau wouldn't say who is going to get the nod. But I can't imagine it will be anyone but Brent Johnson, who has been super as of late, going 3-0-1 in the past four games with a .951 save percentage.

You can't ask much more than that from a goalie who started the season as the backup. That said, don't be surprised if Jose Theodore gets a start on the weekend. It still sounds to me like the Caps are hopeful that Theodore will turn things around and become the No. 1 sooner rather than later. But for right now, Johnson is the man.

"I think its confidence," Boudreau said of Johnson. "He's in the last year of his deal. He loves the area. He loves being a Capital. He knows he's got a great chance and a great opportunity. A new guy has come in, and granted, he's probably going to be the No. 1 guy when it's all said and done. But it's not like Olie, where you knew he was always going to be the guy. So Johnson kind of has that spring in his step."

"I want to get Jose back in there, but it's tough to take [Johnson] out when he's playing that well," he added.

By Tarik El-Bashir  |  November 11, 2008; 12:11 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Morning Reading List
Next: Morning Reading List

Comments

Many thanks for all of the great info Tarik.

Posted by: _Mark | November 11, 2008 12:20 PM | Report abuse

Do we know what is Fedorov's injury?

Posted by: uncatim | November 11, 2008 12:20 PM | Report abuse

Rushed that last comment to stop someone from using the "F" word.

Between Tarik and Katie keeping us informed, we have got it pretty good. Keep it up.

Posted by: _Mark | November 11, 2008 12:23 PM | Report abuse

I second/third the motion to applaud the good work of Tarik and Katie, keep these updates coming. They're like crack. Seriously.

As i sit here trying to convince myself Brent Johnson can take us all the way, I'm starting to realize what was meant when various Avs fans told me with smirking evil faces: "Enjoy the Theodore era. BWAHAHAHAHAHHA"

Posted by: ThisGuy | November 11, 2008 12:28 PM | Report abuse

If Kozlov is back in, please don't take out Fehr. Clark is higher on my scartch list (for what it's worth). Bradly and Gordo have been buzzing, so not either of them.

Posted by: JIMALLCAPS | November 11, 2008 12:30 PM | Report abuse

I really don't understand why we couldn't just name Johnny to be our #1 goalie. Guaranteeing that JT is our goalie no matter what is just absurd.

I thought we are suppose to decide who's #1 based on the way they play, not how much they get paid.

Posted by: DannyBoy1975 | November 11, 2008 12:47 PM | Report abuse

Tarik,

What's your love affair with Eminger? Obviously a few GMs are not thrilled with him or he wouldn't be on his third team in 6 months.

Posted by: lylewimbledon | November 11, 2008 12:52 PM | Report abuse

Don't know if you already saw this - but here is more of that interview with Semin, providing quite a few more quotables. It's as though he saved it all up during the past few years of relative silence.

Posted by: Ames00 | November 11, 2008 1:08 PM | Report abuse

You always go with the goalie that is winning. You cant let the hot hand go.

Theo will get his game in vs. New Jersey, and probably the LA game. Until Johnson strings out 3 or 4 bad games in a row, you stay with what you got, without making Johnny play every night.

Posted by: SA-Town | November 11, 2008 1:19 PM | Report abuse

Tarik,
Is Poti ok, he took a hard hit late in the third period and looked woozy after it.

Omar

Posted by: ohaque23 | November 11, 2008 1:25 PM | Report abuse

Tarik,

Any idea if Olie was PO'd after Ovie's shot hit him in the mask? I know there was joking before the game from both of them about guys shooting high on Kolzig and what would happen if it occurred last night. Given Olie's temper, I wouldn't be surprised if he got upset.

He made it sound like when they were teammates, he "couldn't do anything", but I swear I remember past reports of him getting p!ssed in practice about getting hit up high and having words with some of the guys. Did cooler heads prevail last night? Any words on/off ice during/after the game?

In Ovie's defense, on that particular play, I remember the puck coming to him sort of from behind. I don't recall if it was a pass, deflection, or simple loose puck. But the way he had to collect it...reaching back behind him...in order for him to get any mustard on the shot, it seems that shooting high was the only option.

Posted by: PothiersThumb | November 11, 2008 1:25 PM | Report abuse

don't pull johnny

Posted by: marklee15 | November 11, 2008 1:26 PM | Report abuse

Johnny played GREAT last night. Gotta love these contract years.

Fehr needs to keep playing. Sit someone else.

Very pleasing win at home. Now we need to spank a divisional foe on the raod.

Posted by: Leeguru | November 11, 2008 1:32 PM | Report abuse

Giving Johnny a rest is not pulling him IMO. It's not benching him. I don't want to see Johnny get worn out. I say, start him tomorrow (HUGE game), but definately rest him at one of the games VS NJ.

Posted by: GoCaps08 | November 11, 2008 1:41 PM | Report abuse

Why is Josie #1? Why, Why, Why do you "want to get Jose back in there"? Josie has never shown a propensity to improve, he starts hot and stays hot or he starts bad and melts down. Well fans what we have here is a BAD start and we are about to see the melt down, especially with Johnny playing so well. Josie will explode under this kind of pressure, he always has in the past. So why is he number 1 when he plays like number 2 (pun intended) and why put him in except to give Johnny the real #1 goalie a break?

Posted by: majiksea | November 11, 2008 1:48 PM | Report abuse

@majiksea

Just because we dont call Johnny #1 doesnt mean he isnt. Who cares anyway. We all know our #1 is the guy who has started the last 4 games. The guy who lost his last game 5-0 is #2.

Bruce is just saying that we have two goalies right now, and we will go with the hot hand.

Posted by: SA-Town | November 11, 2008 1:55 PM | Report abuse

Johnny should definitely start tomorrow night against Carolina.

But I'm cool with JT starting one game over the weekend during a home-and-away with the Devils. Like it or not, we'll need JT playing better at some point.

Posted by: Cerealman | November 11, 2008 1:57 PM | Report abuse

I agree -- two good goalies is a lot better than a stud and a dog (what the Caps have now). Johnson is playing great right now, but Jose playing better would help the Caps, even if they want to trade him and call up either Cheesy or Varmalov

Posted by: JIMALLCAPS | November 11, 2008 2:12 PM | Report abuse

I would start Jose 2 out of the next 5 games.

NJ at home on Friday
@ L.A the night after the Ducks game.

Johnny in net tomorrow.

Posted by: SA-Town | November 11, 2008 2:19 PM | Report abuse

Maybe if the Caps sweep NJ and JT plays well in one game, then the Caps can trade him to the Devils, being without Brodeur for a few months. Weirder things have happened.

Posted by: JIMALLCAPS | November 11, 2008 2:25 PM | Report abuse

If you have to play Josie, play him away, I hate losing at home. I had high hopes for him at the start of the season, but that start has come and gone. Josie needs to start from square one now, not a presumption of being our #1.

Posted by: majiksea | November 11, 2008 2:30 PM | Report abuse

@JIM

Are you thinking JT for Weekes? Or are you looking to pick up something else in that trade?

Posted by: _jordan | November 11, 2008 2:31 PM | Report abuse

It looked like JT was playing for Tampa last night first shot...GOAL. Maybe we can trade JT for Olie. An even swap IMO.

Posted by: washingtoncapitals | November 11, 2008 2:37 PM | Report abuse

probably picks. Tis the season for trades...

I'd like JT to get it going, but if he's going to be a faucet running hot then cold, we don't need it. I'm just not used to having BJ as the #1 and someone else as his backup like a Varlamov or Machesney or someone.

Ideally, it's far better to have two #1's than a #1 and a #2. You have solid options. If one is sick or hurt you have another #1 available. As the season goes on they'll both be more rested at the end of the season.

Posted by: Greg S. | November 11, 2008 2:40 PM | Report abuse

@ _jordan -- picks, prospects, blueliner -- I don't care, as long as the Caps can move JT's salary so Alzner can move up and Varmolov or Cheesy can jump into the bigs, I'm happy.

Posted by: JIMALLCAPS | November 11, 2008 2:54 PM | Report abuse

Yeah, except none of them are ready for the move up.

Posted by: Greg S. | November 11, 2008 2:58 PM | Report abuse

@ Greg S,

Bingo.

Posted by: _jordan | November 11, 2008 3:01 PM | Report abuse

The NJD's have lost 3 of 4 since Brodeur went down and their back up to Weekes is an 8th rounder (Clemmensen -- whoever that is?). Marti's gonna be out for a few months, so they may want to make a deal.

Posted by: JIMALLCAPS | November 11, 2008 3:02 PM | Report abuse

Jose is getting way to much opportunity to start just because of his contract. It was clear even in the preseason that johnny was playing much better. He shouldve been #1 from the start. Also anyone notice the parallel to last year. The "starter" is struggling and loses a game 5-0. Then the "backup" comes in hot and starts a streak. Good thing this year its happening in the beginning.

Posted by: JSeagull1 | November 11, 2008 3:07 PM | Report abuse

It's not like Marty's out for the rest of the season. The Devils don't really need to trade for a goalie, especially not an expensive goalie that they'll need to cut once Brodeur returns.

Posted by: koalatek | November 11, 2008 3:08 PM | Report abuse

Alzner 15gp, 2g, 5a, 7pts., +8, 2 pm. Looks pretty good to me. Either Cheesy or Varmalov would be an improvement on JT considering how much he costs to play that poorly.

Posted by: JIMALLCAPS | November 11, 2008 3:08 PM | Report abuse

@JIMALLCAPS
Get a clue, please. Have you even seen a Bears game this year??? Machesney will never be NHL material, and Varlamov will be good someday, but not if he spends his year sitting on the bench behind Johnny.

Posted by: tess2201 | November 11, 2008 3:11 PM | Report abuse

Broduer's out at least until the allstar break. He ripped out his bicep on his cacthing glove arm. It'll take a good amount of time to heal and work properly and MB to have confidence in his arm.

Posted by: JIMALLCAPS | November 11, 2008 3:13 PM | Report abuse

Sami I think is the better choice on D if you're going to bring somebody up mid-season to stick with the club through the stretch.

Posted by: _jordan | November 11, 2008 3:13 PM | Report abuse

Sami's #'s gp15, g2 a7 pts.9 +8 pm22.00, very comparable to Alzner, except for the penalty minutes.

Respecting goalies, Varmalov and McChesney would be as good as Jose at a lot less money freeing up cap space. Also Neuvirth could move up from the ECHL. My choice would be Varmalov as his upside is huge. He can learn a lot practicing with the Caps and starting every 4th-5th game. Jose is a huge bust

Posted by: JIMALLCAPS | November 11, 2008 3:19 PM | Report abuse

I think Johnny is playing very well right now and I hope it continues. As long as he does well he should play the larger share of games.
However, Johnny has had some consistancy issues in the past as well as injuries that have caused him to miss games (a week here, a week there). Maybe that was from lack of playing on a nightly basis, but might be kind of scary to have him out for a month with and back-up with no NHL experience.
JT will hopefully get things going. He's got some serious pressure now from Johnny - either he will step up or he wont. Its too early to tell.

Posted by: Grape8 | November 11, 2008 3:20 PM | Report abuse

Varlamov is not ready. Alzner and Sami could probably get by but I'd rather them get 22 minutes a night in the "A" than be third pairing guys up with the Caps. No need to rush them. Like it or not, we need Jose to step up rather than dump him and hope an unproven AHLer will fill in.

Posted by: SombreroGuy | November 11, 2008 3:29 PM | Report abuse

sorry, but the devils aint taking jose off our hands. not for the money and not to be an EXPENSIVE backup to marty for the second year of his deal. if needed, they will find a suitable goalie in the final year of a contract and plug him in. (or maybe see if hasek is doing anything right now). or bring up a young guy to get some work cause marty aint getting any younger. they are good enough to stay in the playoff mix w/out him and then make a run when he comes back. sorry to be a downer, but jose is ours for at least one more year...

Posted by: dcsportsfan1 | November 11, 2008 3:32 PM | Report abuse

For goodness sakes, when's the last time the Caps had a goalie in the top 5 in any positive stat category? Johnny is 4th in the league in save percentage right now...

Boudreau would be nuts to pull a goalie with his numbers. Boudreau, from what I've seen, isn't nuts - it's Johnny's job to lose.

Posted by: Raber | November 11, 2008 3:40 PM | Report abuse

@SombreroGuy

100 percent agree. Thanks for your wisdom.

However, I'm curious ... if one of the goalies sustained an injury (knock on wood), who gets the call-up?

Posted by: Cerealman | November 11, 2008 3:55 PM | Report abuse

First. A big THANKS to Ames00 for posting that link to Semins interview. This is one guy that for the last few years have been maligned by the so called washington hockey fans, partly because of his communication skills in English. The more I hear him talk the more impress I am with his attitude and his smarts.
Second, regarding who is the number one goalie. Who cares? As long as they keep on playing Johnson; this is another guy that no matter how well he does he can not get accepted, well, I think he is making people believe now. Good for him, I have been saying he should have been our goalie for the last couple of years.

Posted by: x1232 | November 11, 2008 4:03 PM | Report abuse

Food for Thought on Kolzig

Before Huet, Kolzig was the #1 goalie. Brent was the back-up. I remember in the beginning of last season where comments were made that Johnny would be getting more starts in goal. I liked that idea as Olie started developing the habit of giving up the soft goal over the past couple of years. But I remember him getting irritated from his comments to the media of the thought of playing less games. You never heard Johnny complain about not getting more starts. Again, when Johnny was shelved at the end of the season, you did not hear any sour grapes.

Was the communication between McPhee and Kolzig near the end of the season as good as it should have been? Kolzig has said so and I would bet McPhee would give you the same answer.

Kolzig, like other past vets at the end of the career, fall into the black hole on not realizing that they can still play "but" not at the same level they once did. Their egos get in the way of evaluating their diminishing skills. Getting older sucks on the body. It aches more and takes longer to recuperate.

In a perfect world, Kolzig would have signed last summer with the Caps for less money and agreed to let Brent truly compete for the #1 job. Given the past and Olie's decision to sign with TB, it wasn't to happen.

Look at Chris Chelios, though older, he sucked up his pride from being scratched during the Stanley Cup Final and resigned for the minimum with Detroit this year. This guy is a legitimate HOF candidate.

Now given that hindsight is 20/20 and he's a back-up to Mike Smith, I'm sure he would rather be still in a Cap uniform and backing up his good younger friend Brent Johnson.

Just Food For Thought!!!

Posted by: puckman | November 11, 2008 4:13 PM | Report abuse

@Tarik

Can we earn you a raise if we click all over the advertisement's on your blog?

Let us know, and we can rig the system. Keep up the good work.

Posted by: SA-Town | November 11, 2008 4:16 PM | Report abuse

I agree with much that has been said here, including the sad fact that we are stuck with Josie. I would however love it if someone could point out a year or even a time where Josie was a bad as he has been for us and turned things around. If it happened I don't think it was in the NHL and I expect him to do what he has usually done in years past, melt down and PARTY HARD! He has a young daughter now so perhaps his party days are over, but he can still melt down with the best of them, I bet.

Posted by: majiksea | November 11, 2008 4:41 PM | Report abuse

The only thing I worry about is that BB stays will ride a hot goalie maybe into the ground. Huet's run was incredible last year, but that was an awful lot of games to play in a row.

I don't want to to see a burned out goalie by the end of the year when you have to buckle down and try and make the play-offs.

Posted by: FusilliJerry1 | November 11, 2008 4:42 PM | Report abuse

@Cerealman a.k.a. Caps Fan in TN -

My guess is that if the injury was a short term one, like only a couple weeks then whoever the caps call up would just ride the pine like Cassivi did last season. If its a long term injury like what happened to MB, then my hunch is they would go with the more experienced Machesney even though his GAA and Save % are similar to the much maligned Jose Theodore.

Posted by: SombreroGuy | November 11, 2008 4:45 PM | Report abuse

Points accumulated now are just as important as points down the stretch at the end of the season.

I would like to think that the Caps will be in a position where IF the #1 goalie needs a game or two off at the end of the season they can afford to start the backup knowing the points are not "must haves".

Realistically, I think Theodore is going to get the chance to play a bunch of games throughout the season. Even if Johnson is "named" the #1 there are plenty of back-to-backs to play JT. Additionally, BB has shown that after a loss he will switch goalies. I really don't see a way where JT will start less than 30-40 games. Sorry folks.

Posted by: Jeff_ | November 11, 2008 5:00 PM | Report abuse

@SombreroGuy
I second that motion....or third that if someone Already second it!

Let the "kids " grow and learn where they are suppose to rather than rush them here where they will be under a microscope, not getting playing time, feeling the pressure. We are doing the "Oriole way" now! Well the way the orioles use to do it.

Posted by: Capsfannmiss | November 11, 2008 5:09 PM | Report abuse

I am personally OK with letting JT play once in a while to give Johnny a break. But you folks who are saying "he's never BEEN a #1 goalie before; are we sure he can handle it?" - he IS handling it, and brilliantly. He's been handling it since the first game of the season. Johnny worked his BUTT off in the off season, and it shows.

Go, go! Go Johnny, go! GO!

Posted by: irockthered | November 11, 2008 5:12 PM | Report abuse

Johnny was the #1 goalie for the Blues before he came to the Caps. Johnny getting back to #1 is no more or less of a stretch than having Josie get back to being a #1 after also being a backup. Frankly I'm confused there is a controversy at all or that BB is worried about one. Certainly I feel we need to give Johnny an occasional rest, send Josie in to give up a few soft goals and bring Johnny back the next game.

Posted by: majiksea | November 11, 2008 5:21 PM | Report abuse

I dont think Josie has been as bad as some of us are amking him out to be. He has had a couple bad games, the WHOLE team stunk in Buffalo. He held us in the games in Calgary and in Phoenix?? All in all he hasent been totally trotten. The season is young, BJ is going great, we are gonna need 2 goalies for the season. Lets stop gripping and starting rooting...for our team, and our players.

I think Bruce will start BJ on Wed. and Friday , and Josie gets the start in N.J. on Saturday.

Posted by: Capsfannmiss | November 11, 2008 5:21 PM | Report abuse

Has anything been discussed about the Caps shoring up our "weak" 'D' by aquiring an Ohlund? Then Feds could stay at center!! I think we COULD use a little veteran savy back there couldn't we? Of course at this point it's a cap space issue but I'm sure GMGM could think of SOMETHING! (C-ya Jose!)

Posted by: edmontoncapsfan | November 11, 2008 5:27 PM | Report abuse

Josie's stats speak for themselves, simply awful!

Posted by: majiksea | November 11, 2008 5:28 PM | Report abuse

You know...if you take out JT's games vs. Atlanta, Dallas, and Buffalo, his #'s look pretty good! Oy.

The bottom line is that JT, on any given night, CAN put up good numbers and look very good. The problem is that on any given night he can look absolutely brutal.

For the time being I think you ride Johnson except in very busy stretches which will get JT some opportunities to try to steal the spot back, just like Johnson has done the last week or two.

The hope here is that JT realizes he will have to perform to keep starting which will lead to solid performances when he gets the starting nod.

Posted by: Jeff_ | November 11, 2008 5:35 PM | Report abuse

I think we're all putting way too much heartache into this. Garbage in, garbage out -- if you put too much drama into it, you'll get too much drama out. Johnny starts against the Hurricanes, Jose gets one of the Devils games and maybe the King's game, and we go from there.

I think the question of where does our D go from here is a much more interesting one. Anybody else not miss ShaMo? I did miss Kozlov when he wasn't out there last night - Clark's first act at faceoff was to stare at the faceoff circle like an idiot with the puck sitting next to him. And of course Fedorov

Posted by: kittypawz | November 11, 2008 5:36 PM | Report abuse

Pah. I hate when I do that. Federov we miss of course. But ShaMo? Sloan's done well for himself on the big team, and pairing him with Poti has proven to be a smart move. I guess we have to send him back down when ShaMo comes back, but I won't lie, I'll be sorry to see him go.

Posted by: kittypawz | November 11, 2008 5:38 PM | Report abuse

Agreed about Sloan. It makes me feel like it might be ok if Mo prices himself off the team at the end of the season.

Posted by: _jordan | November 11, 2008 6:10 PM | Report abuse

If you only count the games where they played well, every goalie in the league is an All Star!

Posted by: majiksea | November 11, 2008 6:37 PM | Report abuse

Why all this talk about bringing up an AHL goalie? It's not like these guys are pitching shut-outs every game in the AHL, they're playing well, but not NHL well. Even if we were ready to put all our faith in Johnny, and had an AHL guy who was not still in need of some seasoning, who would take Theodore? 4.5mil for an under performing goalie isn't exactly what you would call a GM's dream. Plus look at the teams in need of a goalie; Colorado=clearly not interested, New Jersey=two years on the contract, a big cap hit, and no need for him after four months, and after that pretty much every other team is all set goalie wise. Even if we had a perfect world where Johnny was ready based on more then just 4 starts (not trying to take away from what he's done but let's not get ahead of ourselves), and Varlamov or Machesney was ready for back-up duty no longer in need of seasoning, what would we do with JT? Like it or not this will most likely be our tandem for the rest of the 08-09 season.

Posted by: dcfury | November 11, 2008 6:45 PM | Report abuse

Why bring anyone up? Johnny is #1 now and Josie is the over priced backup. He has been an over priced backup before and Johnny has been a #1 before, so it all works out nicely. Oh and the kids get the experience they need in the minors (it may soon start to look like South Carolina is a cake walk for MN, but he will see pucks down there).

Posted by: majiksea | November 11, 2008 6:59 PM | Report abuse

with the weakening economy, drop in the value over the dollar over the last several years, and drops in the value of wages over the last several years, this is an interesting response:

i am really wondering which teams will take a large hit as the salary cap decreases rather than increases.

Posted by: am_jim | November 11, 2008 8:10 PM | Report abuse

Johnny was the #1 goalie for the Blues before he came to the Caps.

Posted by: majiksea | November 11, 2008 5:21 PM

Posted by: majiksea | November 11, 2008 6:59 PM
-------------------------------------------
Dude, he played more than 50 games. Once. Seven years ago.

Oh yeah, since it's been awhile...

Bench Green
Bench Schultz
Bench Clark
Drop Backstrom to the third line

Am I missing anything else?

Posted by: Section117 | November 11, 2008 8:31 PM | Report abuse

All of the teams at or near the cap. That would include the Caps. But only if the ceiling actually goes down.

A funny thing happens when the economy sours. People have a tendency to flock to entertainments to forget about their woes.

Posted by: Greg S. | November 11, 2008 8:34 PM | Report abuse

Section117,

Was there anything on Koz or Brash?

Posted by: Steve_R | November 11, 2008 8:36 PM | Report abuse

Section117,

Was there anything on Koz or Brash?

Posted by: Steve_R | November 11, 2008 8:36 PM
-------------------------------------------
Traded and/or cut, the both of them. Next.

Posted by: Section117 | November 11, 2008 8:52 PM | Report abuse

Any one else notice that Brent Johnson has a better GAA and Save % than Cristobal Huet, Olie, and Jose?

If Boudreau does not keep sending out Johnson we would have to question his logic.

In Hockey the Hot Hand is always the one that gets the Ice time.

Posted by: RongCapsFan | November 11, 2008 9:01 PM | Report abuse

wow, is anyone watching the pens/wings game??? it's incredibly intense!

Posted by: BlondeCapsFan | November 11, 2008 9:36 PM | Report abuse

Yes, what a fantastic game! wish the Red Wings would have won though but what a great game!

Posted by: rachel216 | November 11, 2008 9:46 PM | Report abuse

Red Wings just couldn't seem to clear the junk out of the front of the net tonight.

Posted by: _jordan | November 11, 2008 9:48 PM | Report abuse

Yea I was rooting for the Wings also, those damn pens came back with a vengeance... It was still a great game, but shoot, we can't buy a break with the pens!!

Posted by: BlondeCapsFan | November 11, 2008 9:58 PM | Report abuse

It was a great game between the Pens and the Wings. After watching these teams play at such a high level, I think the Caps still got a long way to go.

Watch and learn (yeah, that's you, Erskine, Juice, and Green).

Posted by: DannyBoy1975 | November 11, 2008 10:09 PM | Report abuse

@DannyBoy1975

In case you may have missed it - the Caps beat the Pens in Pittsburgh a few weeks ago...

Posted by: MReilly9 | November 11, 2008 11:26 PM | Report abuse

Wild one in LA too! Ribiero is a bleeding fart knocker.

Posted by: _jordan | November 12, 2008 1:24 AM | Report abuse

Was anyone here cheering for the Pens last night?!? :-) It was a great game - I changed the channel right after the score was tied 1-1 and tuned back in when the Wings were up 5-2 ... how quickly things change! I can't believe the Wings lost (I am guessing the Wings feel the same). They were playing like the Cup was on the line. Made me all the more excited to watch tonight's game - LET'S GO CAPS!!!

Posted by: Boo- | November 12, 2008 7:07 AM | Report abuse

Wings/Pens, great game? Intense? Guys it looked like PeeWee hockey, the Wings never hit anyone. We've shown when you hit Crysby and Malkin they stop playing. So where exactly was the intensity?

Posted by: majiksea | November 12, 2008 7:32 AM | Report abuse

Cheer for the Pens???!!! NEVER!!!!!

Posted by: PhilR | November 12, 2008 7:34 AM | Report abuse

I've curiously taken to cheering for Calgary when the Caps aren't playing. I like the way they play and I find them a fun team to watch, plus I like several of their players.

As for the question of the Caps having a long way to go ... I'm not so sure. When the Caps stop screwing around and put it all on the line, we can win against any team in this league. We've seen them do it. They took down the Rangers, they took down the Penguins. We can. Don't stop believing.

But don't get cocky, either. I know our boys read this stuff, so here it is. Tonight's a 4-point night. Don't be cute, don't be fancy, don't worry about who scores or how often, and don't worry about humiliating the 'Canes. In fact, the more you humiliate them, the better. Make them fear to play us. Get a little mind-game going. Bring it, and come home with the points.

Posted by: kittypawz | November 12, 2008 7:58 AM | Report abuse

PhilR:
I would never cheer for them, either - it's just funny that everyone here seems to feel the same way!! ;-)

majiksea:
It was not intense, it was just fun with all of the goals and a bit suspenseful at the end - dontcha think so?

Posted by: Boo- | November 12, 2008 8:22 AM | Report abuse

I hope the Caps don't miss Mo or Feds too much tonight. I also hope that Clark sits because benching Fehr, Gordon, or Steckel would not be fair at this juncture of the season. Keep starting Johnson!

Posted by: JIMALLCAPS | November 12, 2008 8:31 AM | Report abuse

Boo

Other than the Pens winning, yep it was fun hockey to watch, wide open, no hitting, no D, yep fun. But were you as annoyed as I was at the color commentator's constant adoration of the Amazing, Awsome, Greatest Team in the NHL, Pittsburg Penguins? I mean can't you pretend to be unbiased?

Posted by: majiksea | November 12, 2008 8:39 AM | Report abuse

majiksea:
Please - I turn the sound down when watching Pens games ... ;-)

Posted by: Boo- | November 12, 2008 8:44 AM | Report abuse

I'd like to see...

OV/Backstrom/Semin
Flash/Nylander/Fehr
Laich/Steckel/Clark
Brash/Gordo/Bradley

Green/Schultz
Poti/Sloan
Jurcina/Erskine

Johnny

Give Fehr 15 minutes tonight building on his agressive and impressive performance against the Ning...

Posted by: JSchon | November 12, 2008 8:53 AM | Report abuse

I try to never watch Pens feeds, but VS, they should not be a shill for the Pens!

Posted by: majiksea | November 12, 2008 9:07 AM | Report abuse

So Jschon, pretty much the same line up as the last game? Works for me. I assume you want to keep Kozlov out until he heals up, or do you just want him out?

Posted by: JIMALLCAPS | November 12, 2008 9:20 AM | Report abuse