Tuesday Morning Update

Practice at Verizon Center just got underway, so here's a quick update:

Forwards:
Ovechkin-Backstrom-Semin
Laich-Morrison-Knuble
Bourque-Steckel-Clark
Laing-Gordon-Bradley

Extras:
Nylander, Fehr

Defense:
Erskine, Sloan, Pothier, Morrison, Green, Schultz, Poti, Jurcina.

A few more notes/observations:

*Poti and Knuble wore the alternate captain 'A's on their jerseys for the team photo.

*Michal Neuvirth has rejoined the team after missing four days with an undisclosed injury. He spent the first 30 minutes on the ice practicing along with Jose Theodore and Semyon Varlamov, but just left the ice early. Hopefully, Coach Bruce Boudreau will shed some light on the goaltending battle later, though it seems like Neuvirth's injury may have settled it -- for now.

*While many people expect the team to open with Knuble on the first line, he's on the second line right now.

*Boudreau said on Sunday afternoon that he anticipated a resolution to the Nylander situation by today, yet he's on the ice and took the team photo.

I'll have more later.

By Tarik El-Bashir  |  September 29, 2009; 10:41 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Morning Links: Bourque Gets His Break
Next: Bourque Put on Waivers

Comments

I think the suspense has officially killed me.

Posted by: superpaqman | September 29, 2009 10:52 AM | Report abuse

Does this mean OV/Back/ Semin is the Number # 1 line?

Posted by: StanleyCup1907 | September 29, 2009 10:56 AM | Report abuse

Nylander is staying put. He has played his hand in accordance with his contract. If the Caps don't want to play him he's willing to do that for $4.6 million. I'm sure he had a big smile in the team picture.

Wish I had his job! Skate your ass off at practices and watch the games. If he goes anywhere this year, it will be at the trading deadline to a cup contender to his liking.

End of story.

Posted by: puckman | September 29, 2009 10:59 AM | Report abuse

Jakopz - I appreciate the Euro insight so thank you. Any updates you can provide are certainly appreciated.

Nyls - so I lost sleep last night for nothing? Again? Sheesh!

Posted by: pokerfaceI208 | September 29, 2009 10:59 AM | Report abuse

I think Nyls is like Jason Vorhees on Friday the 13th, he just keeps comin back. It's to the point where you know he isn't gonna die so you're not scared anymore. You're like, here comes the scarey part, BOO there he is in skates! Hell put an "A" on em and let em play. You know you can't get rid of him!

Posted by: pokerfaceI208 | September 29, 2009 11:01 AM | Report abuse

Morning. No news at all in the Swedish media except for a one liner regarding Nyls, saying that Caps have no takers.

Posted by: jakopz | September 29, 2009 11:07 AM | Report abuse

Team looks solid!!

Now if only DirecTV and Versus could settle their dispute, I could actually watch the game at home Thursday night.

Posted by: adamkatzen | September 29, 2009 11:07 AM | Report abuse

Not the team photo. . . .

I like Nyls. I don't like him earning millions to sit on the bench and count against the cap. Please move along.

Posted by: Sonyask | September 29, 2009 11:10 AM | Report abuse

THIS JUST IN!-NYLANDER GOES TO SWEDEN AND CAPS SIGN FORSBERG! ...a man can dream cant he!! GO CAPS

Posted by: gratefuldid | September 29, 2009 11:10 AM | Report abuse

*FACEPALM*

Posted by: sargeantmofo | September 29, 2009 11:11 AM | Report abuse

Yes, this VS-DirecTV thing needs to get fixed pronto.

Has anyone seen any action or remarks by Ted on this?

Posted by: AnnandaleAnnie | September 29, 2009 11:12 AM | Report abuse

ideas on the best place to watch thursday in Fairfax???

Posted by: carsonspence | September 29, 2009 11:15 AM | Report abuse

Obviously there are those who don't care for Nylander as well as other players(we all have our favorites), but in reality, he has nothing to merit so much attention. Until the front office figures out a solution, he is living up to his end of the contract and deserves respect. Other players boycott practice, refuse phone calls, etc... Nylander has proven better than that. Time has proven that he might not "fit" as the team has evolved, but I guarantee he does not want to be out of the lineup, chuckling as he rakes in his millions. The guy has character.

Posted by: gonchpup | September 29, 2009 11:17 AM | Report abuse

Nylander is a good guy [he's helped coach my friend's youth team in the past] and IMO has some good hockey left in him - I really hope his situation gets resolved amicably.

Posted by: govtimbo | September 29, 2009 11:18 AM | Report abuse

any news if aucoin and giroux made it through waivers? i hope so but at the same time they do deserve a shot at the nhl.good luck to both of them.

Posted by: gratefuldid | September 29, 2009 11:18 AM | Report abuse

It is hard to tell from Tarik's lineup whether the defenseman are listed randomly or whether he listed them by pairings. If by pairings it would seem that Sloan and Erskine may be the scratches Thursday night. Interesting.

Posted by: 4capitals | September 29, 2009 11:19 AM | Report abuse

gonchpup:

Well said. He's done nothing wrong. The team is making life difficult for him as a tactic to move him.

Posted by: Sonyask | September 29, 2009 11:19 AM | Report abuse

Does this mean OV/Back/ Semin is the Number # 1 line?

Posted by: StanleyCup1907 | September 29, 2009 10:56 AM
-----------------------
It means nothing. Bruce likes to play with the lines. He'll probably change them again between now and Thursday.

But I have to say I like having Bourque and Steckel on the same line. They seem to work well together.

Posted by: tess2201 | September 29, 2009 11:20 AM | Report abuse

I hate to say this, but i cringe a little when i see 8, 28, & 19 on the same line. During the powerplay and on occasions is fine, but i get tired of seeing "Boudreau thought the line was playing too cute". Nothing against the players, but 8 & 28 shoot more when not together. Personally, another reason i want 22 up with 8 & 19 is to get all Ovi's rebounds!! Only 2 days guys! Are you ready?!?

For those of us with DirecTV, we have online as an option. Sites such as www.zomse.com; www.atdhe.net; and www.justin.tv

It may not be the best quality, but its better than not seeing it at all. GO CAPS!

Posted by: OviFan08 | September 29, 2009 11:20 AM | Report abuse

The waiver time on Aucoin and Giroux expires at noon today.

Posted by: tess2201 | September 29, 2009 11:22 AM | Report abuse

@carsonspence
Personally, I'm going with my basement (thanks, FiOS!)

Posted by: jburksva | September 29, 2009 11:22 AM | Report abuse

Versus and DirecTV will probably strike a deal at 4pm on Thursday. have faith! (or a friend down the street with FiOS tv! lol)

Posted by: sargeantmofo | September 29, 2009 11:23 AM | Report abuse

I agree, gonchup - Nylander's a good hockey player and a good person, and he's lived up to his end of the deal.

Posted by: govtimbo | September 29, 2009 11:23 AM | Report abuse

So glad I switched to Dish Network!!

Posted by: PhilR | September 29, 2009 11:25 AM | Report abuse

You people that want Forsberg here need to have your heads examined... do you even remember his whole ankel situation with the Flyers a couple years ago? Why would a guy who hasn't played in 3 years be ANY kind of improvement over Nylander? If you asked me 7 years ago if I would want Forsberg here--I'd have said yes in a second--now...for your answer...you can meet me on the corner of Kissmyass Drive and No Frickin' Way...

Posted by: R617 | September 29, 2009 11:30 AM | Report abuse

No problem on RCN.

Semin Backstrom & Ovi will get plenty of PP time together.

It's fine to see from time to time but it's never gelled so far.

Posted by: Sonyask | September 29, 2009 11:30 AM | Report abuse

Bruce playing with his lines is the one thing that really irks me about his coaching style...but, obviously, he has had success with it
maybe he should do something like ken hitchcock and john stevens (f* philly) do where he just keeps two players together always and mixes and matches the third players, so, for arguments sake:
ov/backs
semin/laich
stecks/bradley

of course, i still just havent seen much from morrison and think he is the most curious player on the team, cause if he works out, i like our centers, but if not, then we really need to move nyls and get some beef in the middle...

Posted by: cotelloer | September 29, 2009 11:30 AM | Report abuse

Didn't mean to sound like a jerk...I just thought that was a funny line I heard on TV once...apologies if I offended...

Posted by: R617 | September 29, 2009 11:31 AM | Report abuse

So glad I switched to Dish Network!!

Posted by: PhilR

I actually switched from Dish Network because they took Versus and NFL Network and moved it to the highest package....seemed like a good choice at the time. I hope DirecTV gets this resolved soon.

Posted by: OviFan08 | September 29, 2009 11:33 AM | Report abuse

Also
wouldnt it make sense to have a russian/european guy with an "A" on the team...i mean, the caps are pretty diverse...or does Ovi still have his A
im sort of confused by that...or are we going to have a team like the Bruins back in the 90s where like 6-7 guys had an "a" on their sweaters...

Posted by: cotelloer | September 29, 2009 11:33 AM | Report abuse

Well said gonchup.

Posted by: hock1 | September 29, 2009 11:38 AM | Report abuse

R617 - I agree per Forsberg. Not only do I doubt his durability, I think he would interfere with the chemistry on the team. And anyhow the salary cap would be an obstacle.

Posted by: dezlboy1 | September 29, 2009 11:39 AM | Report abuse

Lets hope the BB doesn't start playing with Semin's head by constantly giving him new line mates and then blame him for their errors.

Posted by: hock1 | September 29, 2009 11:41 AM | Report abuse

I think the Caps promo team is going to be at Hard Times in Springfield. I'm going to be at ESPNZone in DC to watch the game - I can get it at home but I'm feeling more social than that.

Posted by: kittypawz | September 29, 2009 11:41 AM | Report abuse

R617, it is you that needs to get his/her head examined. GMGM wouldn't bring Forsberg in for Nylander money, he would bring him in for the veteran minimum plus incentives. The talent level and defensive responsibility instantly goes up two levels (as well as leadership). A somewhat healthy Forsberg allows Bmo to be well rested for the stretch run and playoffs. During playoffs, you have three very good offensive and DEFENSIVE centers. Nyls may still have some offense left in him if put in the right situation, but he never played defense, and now he is just plain awful. If the deal somehow gets done it also would free up enough cap money to bring up Alzner during the season, and the caps won't be hamstrung come trade deadline time. It makes sense to give it a shot on every level. What part of this do you not get? The debacle in Philly still saw Forsberg average over a point a game and provide solid leadership. Think he's not a god to Backstrom? If GMGM can get it done, it will be worth the risk. If not, just get rid of Nyls for the cap hit.

Posted by: bestpilotonearth | September 29, 2009 11:45 AM | Report abuse

Michael Nylander has been a professional. From blog reports he knew he was a 5th wheel but showed up very fit and has worked extremely hard in practice. That is not what a player does who just wants to sit in the press box and collect his check. That is what a prefessional who wants to play would do.

If Michael decides not to waive his no movement clause, the Capitals now deserve to eat his cap hit. They made no effort to showcase him during pre-season to give him a shot at being moved to another NHL team. In fact, they made a conscious effort to leave him out. This clearly sends a very strange signal to all other teams. They are obviously trying to force his hand to go to Europe.

I would have respected the organization a lot more if they had treated him fairly and showcased him for a few games. Then, if he didn't perform, he would have to love with the consequences and choices.

Now he is faced with limited choices, none of which are great for hima nd his family.

Posted by: CapsRockTheRed | September 29, 2009 11:47 AM | Report abuse

still think Steckel is the best center for Brads and Laing. Gordo has no chemistry with Bradley when he plays. They play totally different styles. But then do you make them the 3rd line and bump Gordo between Clark and Bourque as a 4th line? And Semin hopefully spends most of the season on a line other than Ovechkin-Backs.

Posted by: cstanton1 | September 29, 2009 11:47 AM | Report abuse

Messier was tough, he was also a nasty cheapshot artist who threw more elbows than any other player not named Tocchet. I laugh at some of the hysterical newer fans who think that current day cheap shots are so terrible. Guys like Messier would do that every other game. He broke players' jaws with sucker punches, he used his stick liberally and he elbowed anyone that tried to hit him. He was ALSO a great player.

Posted by: cstanton1 | September 28, 2009 8:32 PM

@cstanton:

"More elbows than any other player not named Tocchet..."

You slay me, dude. XD (Well said)

Posted by: Rhino40 | September 29, 2009 11:51 AM | Report abuse

@bestpilot...money is not the issue...it's the likelyhood that he will get hurt once again, whether it's the ankle that caused so many problems, or just the fact that it's going to take him several months to get into decent game shape...I LOVED him when he played in COL...but the game has passed him by--we have plenty of leaders on this team--another overpaid, washed up, injury-prone guy is NOT what we need...but, I'd guarentee Forsberg will want in the neighborhood of $2mil...

Posted by: R617 | September 29, 2009 11:53 AM | Report abuse

@R617

He's already hurt again. Stress fracture in his bad foot.

Posted by: tmac2yao | September 29, 2009 11:58 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: tmac2yao | September 29, 2009 11:59 AM | Report abuse

Other Thoughts:

1) Good to see CB make the big club for opening night--I've always liked seeing the "Rudy" 's pf the workd do well. Just one question: If Ray is The Father and Chris is The Son, then who is The Holy Spirit?

2) No one can dispute the Peter Forsberg was a big difference-maker in his day. The problem is is his health makes him (IMHO) an unacceptable liability.

Since a) it is pretty much a given that Nylander will not waive his NMC to allow a trade, and b) he is in his best health/conditioning in the last 3 seasons, I say PLAY HIM. I'd rather have a healthy Nylander skating circles (and keeping th puck away from the opposition) for 10-15 min/game than a used-up Forsberg limping along for (maybe) 4/6 min/game. I've said it before: benching a healthy, skilled player who earns $4.5M/year is tantamount to cutting off your own nose to spite your face.

Posted by: Rhino40 | September 29, 2009 11:59 AM | Report abuse

so no A for ovie???

Posted by: dcsportsfan1 | September 29, 2009 11:59 AM | Report abuse

Well, TSN, NHL.com, and the Washington Capitals websites haven't mentioned anything about Giroux or Aucoin being picked up off the waiver wire. Although I don't think Giroux earned a spot on the team he reminds me a LOT of Jason Allison. We just couldn't get the guy to produce for us. Then he went on to be just about a point a game guy for Boston and LA before injuries starting tearing him up. I just have this gut feeling the Giroux will be productive in the NHL soon, and I would for it to be with the Caps, or as a tradeable asset rather than a waiver loss.

Posted by: fanohock1 | September 29, 2009 12:01 PM | Report abuse

Does anyone know if the game on Thurday will be BLACKED out on Center Ice with it being a Versus game. DirectTV is offering $50 off Center Ice and if you have never had center ice they are offering 50% off because of the Versus deal. But affaid to pay the $80 and it be blacked out.

Posted by: maryjane2 | September 29, 2009 12:01 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: fanohock1 | September 29, 2009 12:01 PM | Report abuse

good point on Jason Allison but for every Allison and Andrew Brunette (bad skaters) who make it, there are a dozen or more Girouxs who don't make it. I don't have a problem with Giroux in our lineup per se. He's got size, he likes to drive the net, he finished all his checks when he played with us briefly, he has size etc. I know the Rangers gave up on Giroux because he wasn't consistent. He'd play like a power forward one game and then fade out the next. He doesn't seem as motivated as some of the other prospects to try and make it.

Posted by: cstanton1 | September 29, 2009 12:07 PM | Report abuse

@maryjane2: I believe the Versus opening night thing is an exclusive deal, so yes, I'd expect it to be blacked out on Center Ice. Go find somewhere to hang out and watch; Hard Times Cafe is kid-friendly.

Posted by: kittypawz | September 29, 2009 12:08 PM | Report abuse

Forsberg.

A.) He is a crippled has-been...we would have to get rid of Nylander's contract- a healthy body who does not play...why would we want to replace him with a center that will get paid for not being healthy to play? Crazy.

B.) Forsberg's is not a second line center anymore - great in his day, but his days are over because of massive bad injuries - hell, he is hurt already with a stress fracture in his foot. Let other fools waste money and a roster spot on him...don't touch it.

Posted by: lylewimbledon | September 29, 2009 12:08 PM | Report abuse

Bourgue over Fehr all year.

Posted by: lylewimbledon | September 29, 2009 10:29 AM | Report abuse

I'd like to see how Fehr plays given ONE more chance at least. Pretty hard to play his kind of game with 2 bad shoulders. Let the kid get healthy, and lets see how hungry he plays knowing this is his last real shot with us. Plus...its already killing me we didn't draft Getzlaf or Mark Stuart at the time not to mention Mike Richards and Corey Perry...we have to give Fehr every shot to help us salvage what really was a terrible decision.

Posted by: cstanton1 | September 29, 2009 12:11 PM | Report abuse

Thanks kittypawz!! That is what i figured.

Posted by: maryjane2 | September 29, 2009 12:13 PM | Report abuse

forgot about Kesler too, he went pretty soon after Fehr. I guess they thought Sutherby would work out which is why we ignored the center position for so long in the draft.

Posted by: cstanton1 | September 29, 2009 12:13 PM | Report abuse

@cstanton,

I'm willing to give Fehr a short-leash, but how many games are we going to wait for this kid to realize his potential? He has flashes of grit and scoring touch, but is extremely inconsistant. Flashes of using his size to his advantage, but that's pretty rare too...how agressive will he be with two lame shoulders as a winger? I'd rather have a 5'8" pit bull with no fear. Getzlaf, Getzlaf, Getzlaf...ugh.

Posted by: lylewimbledon | September 29, 2009 12:20 PM | Report abuse

R617, No offence here...I laughed, even though I don't express myself that way; I didn't think it crossed the line.

I like the idea of Steckel, Bradley, and Bourque. Clark is an interesting substitution, certainly I'll be watching that. Steckel and Bradley create so many opportunities and turnovers.

As for 22 with 8 and 28; in my oppinion, Coach loved what he saw, and doesn't want to where it out too soon. They looked so good imo, they were scary.

Posted by: Beltwayman2 | September 29, 2009 12:20 PM | Report abuse

I'm excited - things heating back up in here- I almost missed some of you!

Posted by: lylewimbledon | September 29, 2009 12:20 PM | Report abuse

This Nylander situation has more drama than Jon and Kate's messy divorce. Aarrghh...the suspense is brutal!

Posted by: Andoy | September 29, 2009 12:23 PM | Report abuse

If Nylander stays, Caps better play him. I don't buy that having a guy like Laing in the lineup is more useful. Rearrange the pieces however you want, but get him in there. Its a game of inches in the playoffs -- if 10% of your cap space is sitting on the bench, you're going to have a hell of a time trying to beat the elite stacked teams.

Posted by: VladG | September 29, 2009 12:23 PM | Report abuse

Lyle--I say let Fehr get healthy and if one of our bottom 6 forwards starts to flake out, put Fehr in and give him 5-8 games. If you don't see real potential there then you know you can cut him loose with more peace of mind.

And he doesn't have to score a goal in those games, but he does have to show he can keep up with the play better and that he can win some battles along the boards and in front of the net. Last year he seemed slow off the trigger. Was always behind the play. I remember the play where he hurt one of his shoulders. He went in to make a real hard check and ended up missing the player and hitting the glass hard. The other time he got hurt was when he had his head down and got ploughed over by I think Fedotenko.

Posted by: cstanton1 | September 29, 2009 12:24 PM | Report abuse

"I don't buy that having a guy like Laing in the lineup is more useful."

Laing has less skill with the puck. EVERYTHING ELSE he does better. He works the boards better, he creates energy, he blocks shots, he's a vastly better defensive player, he makes every line he plays on better (the Steck-Brads line got an instant boost when Laing played with them for just one game last year)

Posted by: cstanton1 | September 29, 2009 12:26 PM | Report abuse

@Tarik - The waiver time limit has passed; do we keep Giroux and Aucoin?????

Posted by: irockthered | September 29, 2009 12:28 PM | Report abuse

Yeah, getting Center Ice doesn't help if you have Directv (like me). To say the game will be blacked out is incorrect terminology. The fact is the ONLY channel with the rights to Thursday's Caps vs Bruins and Col vs SJ games IS Versus. NESN, ALT, CSN-SE, and whatever home channel the Sharks use do not have the rights to show the game.

Think of it in terms of having an antenna and a digital box at the house. It's not that CSN-DC is blacked out, you simply don't have access to the channel. Now when CSN-DC shows a game and it is on Versus too, the regional carrier will blackout the game so CSN-DC and it's sponsors get your eyes. So the station will be replaced with, well, a black screen, hence blacked out.

Posted by: fanohock1 | September 29, 2009 12:28 PM | Report abuse

Remember, if Aucoin or Giroux gets claimed, then it gives Trevor Bruess and Jake Hauswirth a chance to crack the Bears lineup instead of being reassigned to the Stingrays. Always a silver lining :)

Posted by: cstanton1 | September 29, 2009 12:29 PM | Report abuse

Also

Posted by: cotelloer

I could see them platooning the 2nd A but Ovie DEFINITELY gets one which makes the team picture they did today a little "interesting"

Posted by: pkendrick | September 29, 2009 12:29 PM | Report abuse

For once, cstanton1 and I are on the same page!

Somebody mark the historic occasion! ;-)

J/K!

Quintin Laing blocks shots like a big dawg. He's out there playing with defensive responsibility. He creates chances and energy; he improves the line he plays with, and he NEVER gives up.

I am VERY glad Laing is on the team for opening night!

Posted by: irockthered | September 29, 2009 12:30 PM | Report abuse

I really do not care for the way Nyls has been treated. Honestly, it sends a poor message to the team, that even if you come to camp/practice fit, work extremely hard and have talent - this doesnt mean you will play. Not even a chance given to him in pre-season??? Yet another player where no reason is given, just sits on the bench.

Posted by: Grape8 | September 29, 2009 12:30 PM | Report abuse

@VladG

Nyls situation is unfortunate - he doesn't fit in the system with his style of play. He hurts us more being in the the lineup- they just need to figure a way out that's best for both parties. He will not be a Cap for much longer...i.e. maybe today.

Posted by: lylewimbledon | September 29, 2009 12:30 PM | Report abuse

@cstan

I think they want Fehr in the line-up to give other teams a look for trade bait.

Posted by: lylewimbledon | September 29, 2009 12:33 PM | Report abuse

@cstanton1 - Touché! You do have a point there. Hauswirth did well in camp, as did Bruess (I can never spell his name right!) - but I really do love having Aucoin and Giroux on the Bears' lineup.

There is also the point that at SOME time this season, we will probably have to call up Giroux and/or Aucoin, at which point Bruess and Hauswirth will probably be called up to the Bears. Everything in its time. :-) The fact that the Caps' organization is plug-n-play top to bottom is a HUGE advantage.

Posted by: irockthered | September 29, 2009 12:33 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: ekays | September 29, 2009 12:36 PM | Report abuse

@lylewimbledon: I think letting something like that kill you is a bit extreme :) Stuff happens. How many teams passed on Mike Green and John Carlson again? You win some and you lose some in the draft, and agonizing over it is just silly.

That said - I don't know that Eric Fehr is such a slouch. Consider this Japers' Rink post from the summer, which is an analysis of which players contribute at 5-on-5 and which ones don't. You might be surprised where Eric Fehr ends up on this list, with limited ice time and lesser teammates to work with. For that matter, Schultz-haters might want to look at where he ends up, too. It's interesting.

Posted by: kittypawz | September 29, 2009 12:36 PM | Report abuse

grape8, my take on nyls is that it says if you arent able/willing to play within the system, you wont play. regardless of how much money you make or what your contract says. i think that is a better message to send vs. playing a guy who doesnt give you the best chance to win just because you feel sorry for him or he has a big salary.

i have a lot of respect for nyls and i think he is setting a very good, professional example in a very difficult situation. i hope he gets a chance to play anc contribute. it must be tough for him going to work everyday knowing he has a scarlet letter on his back. not sure how the caps could handle this tough situation any other way. they are not bad mouthing him publically nor excluding him from practice or the team picture, etc.

Posted by: dcsportsfan1 | September 29, 2009 12:36 PM | Report abuse

I think Fehr's inconsistency is because he is young. I think Knubs will be a huge impact on him (and Laich) and you will see his game step up.

How can you not LOVE Laing? He is a coaches dream because he will do whatever he is asked with no argument or attitude.

Posted by: pkendrick | September 29, 2009 12:37 PM | Report abuse

for once i agree with cstanton and irockthered............Laing is a very valuable asset. People who say he has no offensive upside do not understand the role of 3rd and 4th line players who get to play against the other teams top players every shift of every game

Posted by: wendel2 | September 29, 2009 12:37 PM | Report abuse

@CapsRockTheRed

Your summary of the Nyls situation is spot on. It's not an episode that reflects well on the front office (or bench boss).

Posted by: beeman | September 29, 2009 12:37 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: dcsportsfan1

BB even commented on him that he was one of the hardest workers at practice.

It sucks for Nyls but if he doesn't fit then he doesn't fit. Why would the Caps play him and risk him getting hurt? Then no one will want him.

Posted by: pkendrick | September 29, 2009 12:40 PM | Report abuse

Annandale- I emailed Ted specifically to get his thoughts on the Vs. / Directv deal and I'll just say this. He doesn't think it's going to be an issue. I respectfully disagreed with him as Directv is by far the largest satellite provider in the world and IMO hurts the NHL brand even more. Of course I have no idea what I'm talking about. I must also admit that in my previous emails with him he has a big liking for Comcast and was all excited when we signed a contract with Vs. after the lockout. I'm sure he gets frustrated at most of the emails he gets from fans, and I would probably classify them as idiotic as well but how the ONLY national broadcast of your brand can't be seen by the majority of people in this nation is beyond me. So ESPN being #1, never shows us for more than 15 seconds at the end of sportscenter and now your national broadcast can't be seen but any Directv subscribers. Yeah sorry but I think it's a major problem.

Posted by: pokerfaceI208 | September 29, 2009 12:44 PM | Report abuse

I'm gonna weigh in on the Nylander thing... there may be more going on behind the scenes that we don't know about. I'm not going to say the Caps threw him under the bus without the full picture.

Given what we know, yeah, it APPEARS that he's gotten a raw deal from the team. I haven't seen any interviews from him giving his opinion on the matter, though. (If anyone else has, please point me to them?)

Given that he's been coming to practice, skating hard, and even skating in a straight line, I'm very surprised that he didn't get to play at least one pre-season game, but there are other factors, too.

1) He left his family in Sweden. Does this mean that there's an Eliteserien (sp?) team that might be interested and keeping it under the radar?

2) At any time, Nylander could have chosen to waive his no movement clause instead of dangling it in the team's face with a "nyah-nyah-ne-nyaaaah-nyah" attitude. He knew at the end of last season that he wasn't going to be playing much as a Cap, and he had all summer to play "Let's Make a Deal."

3) I will grant, given how it appeared that the Caps ran Kolzig out of town, that this is a pattern that they use, and I can't say I'm fond of it, but since we don't have the whole picture, can we really be 100% sure that this is what's happening again?

I want to know what's going on as much as the next guy - believe me! - and moving Nylander's contract off the books would be excellent for cap space, if he isn't going to be on the ice. Sitting him in the press box seems to have caused a stubborn streak to come up, though, and that isn't productive at all. After all, he can dangle that no-movement clause and sing, "nyah-nyah-ne-nyaaah-nyah!" all day long, and there's not a damnthing the Caps can do about it.

He was a good player under Glen Hanlon's system; under Boudreau's, not so much. I'd like to see him fit in elsewhere in the league, or if not, go to Sweden or the KHL, where he can play a few more seasons before his career ends. Whatever happens, I wish him the absolute best, for what it's worth.

But the speculation is driving me batty.

Posted by: irockthered | September 29, 2009 12:45 PM | Report abuse

and by playing Nyls and he gets hurt would not neccessarily be a bad thing. LTIR ring a bell? LTIR + long term cap spae at the end of the year. Just saying

Posted by: RichC3 | September 29, 2009 12:48 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: RichC3 | September 29, 2009 12:48 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Beltwayman2 | September 29, 2009 12:49 PM | Report abuse

no official word but for anyone who cares, there is a fan who posted on the Hershey site that both Aucoin and Giroux cleared waivers today. Frankly I wouldve been surprised if they hadn't. At this time of the year, every team sends down players on their last cuts who they think are quality guys. Giroux and Aucoin are probably no better than many of the last cuts on other teams.

Posted by: cstanton1 | September 29, 2009 12:49 PM | Report abuse

And oh yeah JR, I don't think OV is jealous of anybody especially Malkin. I'm pretty sure he's living the life of a rock star with no regrets you "had been". I think you're jealous of OV! Just shut your blow hole and go into retirement like you should've years ago. Nice try to try and sandbag on to the best team on paper to try and win a Cup you punk. Way to pull the whole NBA player deal to coast your way to a Cup. I used to like you but your comments over the past few years have really run a lot of people tired of you and your act. Hang em up so you can just be a memory instead of a current event.

Posted by: pokerfaceI208 | September 29, 2009 12:49 PM | Report abuse

@cstan

Posted by: lylewimbledon | September 29, 2009 12:33 PM | Report abuse

could be..but if Fehr plays well then they could dangle Chris Clark as trade bait also. Fehr is cheaper and younger.

Posted by: cstanton1 | September 29, 2009 12:51 PM | Report abuse

IRTR: C'mon Kolzig wasn't run out of town. He was ticked that he was not the starter after Huet arrived, and he shouldn't have been. He headed to Tampa to compete and prove he was still capable of being the #1 goaltender. That didn't go so well for him, and he was injured. He went in the locker room and ripped his name off of his locker after 2008. It was probably momentary rage because Olie is a great team guy. If he would have done things differently, and he would have considered a back-up role he might have been here backing up Theo last season. It's done now though and were the Caps wrong in the assessment of where Olie's game had gone. Nope, they were right.

Posted by: fanohock1 | September 29, 2009 12:51 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: RichC3

Yes that would work but that's a bad thing to hope for when you play somebody. And until that happened (god forbid) he would be out there screwing up the team's system with his circles.

Posted by: pkendrick | September 29, 2009 12:53 PM | Report abuse

Nyls may be an extra part, but I think we can assume that he will show up for practice everyday and prepare to play. The guy's a professional in the true sense of the word. Give him a little credit. Eventually, someone will get hurt and he'll get a shot. Consider him Morrison's
backup.

As for a trade, the only way he gets moved is if they can package him with a younger player (like Bourque or anyone in Hershey), to a team that's rebuilding. That assumes Nyls says yes, which he might not.

Posted by: oldtimehockey | September 29, 2009 12:53 PM | Report abuse

@wendel2 and cstanton1 - This must be a sign of the Apocalypse! We're all in agreement, LOL! :-)

@pkendrick - I would agree that youth might be a factor for Fehr, but more likely this past season, it was the bilateral shoulder injuries that he had fixed over the summer. The injury he was dealing with (torn labrum, the cartilege in the socket of the ball-and-socket joint), is extremely painful. It causes the shoulder to "stick" when moved, not unlike a torn medial meniscus causes the knee to "stick" - it's hard to describe without visual aid - but the injury hurts like a biznatch, and I can see how it would make playing hockey very difficult. I'd like to see him play a season healthy, and then see where he stands.

Posted by: irockthered | September 29, 2009 12:54 PM | Report abuse

PLAY NYLS!

Posted by: Rhino40 | September 29, 2009 12:57 PM | Report abuse

Nylander = Tug Speedman

Posted by: SA-Town | September 29, 2009 12:58 PM | Report abuse

@irockthered - No argument here. That definitely contributed to Fehr's game. I am just excited to see how he and Laich can learn from Knubs. It's not just about crashing the net but also about reading the play and knowing where the puck is going to be. Look at Knubs' goal on Sunday. He wasn't right at the net. He read the shot and knew where the goalie would put the rebound and he was right there to slam it home.

Posted by: pkendrick | September 29, 2009 12:59 PM | Report abuse

In order to get rid of Nylander the Caps would have to offer an other team an incentive like they did with Jagr.

That means picking up the contract dollars and probably offering a draft pick or player off the roster as well - ie one that can play.

It's a tough road to hoe.

In some ways this appears to be a jinx on Washington for stepping in at the 11th hour when Nylander had a verbal deal with the Oilers.

Washington had to offer him that extra year in the contract and THAT is what is largely preventing him from being moved.

If the contract was just for 2009-2010 I think there might be a taker or two.

We shold h

Posted by: leopard09 | September 29, 2009 1:00 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: pokerfaceI208 | September 29, 2009 12:44 PM | Report abuse

they left ESPN in the 1980's and signed with SportsChannel America and 20 years later they make the same mistake with Versus.. when are these people gonna learn??? but then again if they were so smart and had a long term vision, the sport wouldn't be on par with the likes of WNBA

Posted by: joek443 | September 29, 2009 1:03 PM | Report abuse

IRTR--I had labrum surgery in April and what you describe is absolutely accurate, it does hurt like a biznatch as you put it. My shoulder was always locking up on me even doing the simplest things, can't imagine trying to play hockey. And the recovery from the surgery was no picnic either, couldn't imagine having both done at the same time like Fehr did, much tougher man than I am that is for sure, I couldn't sleep without knocking myself out with pain killers for two weeks after the surgery.

Posted by: PhilR | September 29, 2009 1:05 PM | Report abuse

Did Giroux and Aucoin clear waivers?

I didn't see it mentioned anywhere, so I was curious.

Posted by: jogabonito | September 29, 2009 1:06 PM | Report abuse

I believe the new CBC does not allow for a Jagr like contract between the Caps and Rangers. So the Caps are stuck with Nylander's contract, unless they can fudge a contract with a European club???

Posted by: JIMALLCAPS | September 29, 2009 1:07 PM | Report abuse

For those who missed JWH link above--yes, Aucoin and Giroux cleared and were assigned.

Posted by: ekays | September 29, 2009 1:09 PM | Report abuse

Forsberg.

Posted by: lylewimbledon | September 29, 2009 12:08 PM | Report abuse

you can add over-rated to that list also. he never scored more than 30 goals in a season and never won a Selke either. and some on here think he was better than Messier or Feds.. what a joke

Posted by: joek443 | September 29, 2009 1:11 PM | Report abuse

@PhilR - Ouch. I'm sure therapy was a pain, too; I saw plenty of folks going through shoulder therapy when I was going through knee therapy for my medial meniscus surgery last summer, and it looked REALLY painful. I mean, my knee therapy hurt, but shoulder therapy seemed worse somehow... and yeah, doing two at once? He would have needed help to do basic things like feeding himself and getting dressed in the morning!

Posted by: irockthered | September 29, 2009 1:12 PM | Report abuse

The European contract wouldn't have to be "fudged." It would be considered an assignment, and he'd be off the books as far as his cap hit is concerned.

I think you're right about the CBA, though.

-----

Posted by: JohninMpls | September 29, 2009 1:20 PM | Report abuse

Yep, thank god his wife is a nurse!! I am right handed and it was my right shoulder, man doing the simple things was hard just with my off arm but no arm use at all??!! And yes, therapy is extremely painful, I have a heck of a lot of respect for Fehr to put himself through that all at once so he would be ready close to the start of the season.

Posted by: PhilR | September 29, 2009 1:20 PM | Report abuse

I didn't doubt that Aucoin and Giroux would clear waivers going to Hershey.

It's coming back up that they probably won't. Coming back to DC they'll be half price. Snagging one of them (or both) would be a coup for the other team even if they don't pan out for the NHL. You'd be denying Hershey of their play, and giving your AHL team a shot in the arm if they didn't make it on the NHL level.

Posted by: Greg S. | September 29, 2009 1:21 PM | Report abuse

I didn't doubt that Aucoin and Giroux would clear waivers going to Hershey.

Posted by: Greg S.

Yeah my guess is that players like A. Gordon, Perreault, Beagle or Osala will get called up before Aucoin or Giroux now.

Posted by: pkendrick | September 29, 2009 1:27 PM | Report abuse

joek443: There you go again slamming the NHL. The NHL and WNBA on par with each other. That's a bonehead comment, and come out with junk like that all the time. The Washington WNBA franchise draws a good crowd by WNBA standards and a lot of their tickets are offered at a rediculously low rate to Caps season ticket holders, and probably Wizards season ticket holders too. I miss the NHL on ESPN too but your comparisons are way off target. There was a great article regarding the exposure of the NHL going down while on ESPN too because they had exclusive rights to a lot of games and just wouldn't show hockey some times. Additionally they didn't put games they had the rights to on ABC either. Enjoy your NASCAR disappearing just like pro Wrestling. Basically the same fan base, right?

Posted by: fanohock1 | September 29, 2009 1:31 PM | Report abuse

@Greg S. - You make a good point on Aucoin and Giroux. They may well be stuck in Hershey until after the trade deadline now... which is unfortunate, but what can ya do? I'd rather not lose them on re-entry waivers. It's a situation not unlike the reason we kept Laing down in Hershey until we did last season.

Posted by: irockthered | September 29, 2009 1:33 PM | Report abuse

Brooks got screwed - he should have an "A".

@leopard09 - unlike in the Jagr era, teams CANNOT pick up any part of the salary of a player they have traded away per the CBA!

Posted by: Varly | September 29, 2009 1:39 PM | Report abuse

HOLY SH**! The Caps put Chris Bourque on waivers, according to In The Room!!!

Posted by: irockthered | September 29, 2009 1:39 PM | Report abuse

joek443,

I think you are ignoring some issues with the league's relationship with ESPN. It was widely reported that at contract renewal time, ESPN gave them a Corleone offer: Nothing. Meaning, the reports were that the league wouldn't be paid for the carriage, but would get a percentage of ad revenue (which they would have to sell themselves.) This was immediately on the heels of announcing a deal with the WSOP to pay for broadcast rights.

Yeah, versus isn't up there in penetration, but its better than nothing. Among die hard fans, the Center Ice package does pretty well.

Posted by: oldtimehockey | September 29, 2009 1:39 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: irockthered | September 29, 2009 1:40 PM | Report abuse

WOW!!! Does this mean Fehr is back already? I wonder why that happened.

Tarik - info please

Posted by: pkendrick | September 29, 2009 1:43 PM | Report abuse

Man... that's gotta be painful for Bourque. He makes the big club, only to be waived so we can maybe pick up someone else? Ouch. And here we all were, looking forward to seeing him play in Boston. I can't imagine someone NOT picking him up off the waiver wire. :-(

Bummer.

Posted by: irockthered | September 29, 2009 1:45 PM | Report abuse

Fehr was cleared for contact, but he won't be ready to play for a couple of weeks, last I heard. :-(

I'm surprised by this, but not floored, if that makes sense?

Posted by: irockthered | September 29, 2009 1:46 PM | Report abuse

IRTR: Thanks for the link. pkendrick: the article states the Caps are looking at the waiver wire looking to see if something sparks their interest more than Bourque. Based on McPhee's comment in the article it is going to happen in a couple of weeks when Fehr returns. If the Caps don't see anything and Bourque also clears he will start with the team in Boston. Wow, I hope Bourque was in the loop on this.

Posted by: fanohock1 | September 29, 2009 1:47 PM | Report abuse

That's what I thought irockthered. My jaw hit the floor when I read this.

Posted by: pkendrick | September 29, 2009 1:48 PM | Report abuse

Interesting indeed. I got a few points out of this.

First, IRTR obsesses about the team to the point of having ulcers.

Second, it sounds like GMGM has his eyes on someone that may become available.

Third, CB isn't actually going anywhere. If he isn't claimed off waivers, he'll stay with the Caps and travel to Boston.

Fourth, he'll have to clear waivers yet again when Fehr and/or Flash return.

Posted by: Greg S. | September 29, 2009 1:48 PM | Report abuse

Wonder if this precedes a move involving Nylander.

Posted by: JohninMpls | September 29, 2009 1:49 PM | Report abuse

@fanohock1 - yeah my bad on that. I retardedly just responded without reading the link first.

Posted by: pkendrick | September 29, 2009 1:49 PM | Report abuse

Woah...didn't see that coming.

From Japer's/In the Room -

Caps Waive Bourque
"Just talked to general manager George McPhee, and he confirmed that Chris Bourque was put on waivers at noon today. McPhee said the reason is the Caps needed a roster spot / salary cap space in case any player who was put on waivers from another team was someone they wanted to claim." - In The Room

Posted by: Padrino12 | September 29, 2009 1:49 PM | Report abuse

Mega Blockbuster coming soon of Biblical Proportions...

Posted by: SA-Town | September 29, 2009 1:50 PM | Report abuse

LMAO @ fanohock1

I thnk you're confusing NASCAR with Indycar which gets about 300K viewers/race on Versus.

the NHL still should have taken that nothing offer from ESPN just as Indycar should make that kind of an offer to ABC/ESPN. when it's on a real network, you get a million and a half people watching it by accident. you know how much money Indycar gets from Versus? 6 million. no wonder they're going nowhere like the NHL.

Posted by: joek443 | September 29, 2009 1:51 PM | Report abuse

A few clarifications about Nyls...
He did not bring his family because GMGM told him that he would never again play in a Caps' uniform. He's a professional and he is honoring his contract. He understood that, in order to be moved, he had to do his part, by showing up in great shape and do everything that was asked of him. The Caps have to do their part too and find him a team. Hard though when your actions are telling everyone that you think that Nyls is a piece of dung; so, I disagree when some say that the Caps have not denigrated him in public; to the contrary.
As for his NMC, he was asked to waive it only once and that was to go to Pheonix. He said no because it is not where he felt his family needed to be. Who can blame him. There were a few markets he was willing to go to. By the end of the season, he was willing to accept to be moved to most markets. But, the process is that he can not waive his NMC unless there is an offer and none has been presented to him.
I seriously doubt that Nylander is happy just sitting here, away from his children even if he collects all that money; thinking otherwise is not knowing the guy at all. Contract set aside, this guy is a professional, a gentlemen, a family men. If he is ever called to be in the line up, he will be ready and do his best, knowing that there is about nothing he can do to erase the image that people have of him now. He just have to remain professional while he gets further humiliated.

Posted by: atybat | September 29, 2009 1:52 PM | Report abuse

Ok so what happens if he clears waivers but then stays with the Caps? Is there a timeline for how long he gets to play with the Caps before being moved? If he clears and stays now will he have to clear them again when Fehr comes back?

Last night I was searching and searching for waiver rules and even tried to read the CBA (don't unless you are a lawyer unless you want to stab your eyes out) but it was so hard to read and I didn't get anywhere.

Posted by: pkendrick | September 29, 2009 1:52 PM | Report abuse

@Greg S. - Naah. But it was a shot at folks who do!

Posted by: irockthered | September 29, 2009 1:53 PM | Report abuse

that should be "unless you are a lawyer OR you want to stab your eyes out"

Posted by: pkendrick | September 29, 2009 1:55 PM | Report abuse

They must have their eye on someone. Not sure they're sucking up for the fan base -- the sequence had a lot of folks pushing for Chris.

Posted by: Sonyask | September 29, 2009 1:55 PM | Report abuse

I just googled Chris Bourque and look at this link from 21 Sept. Doesn't look like a trade "per se" maybe more of an agreement if Bourque is picked up by Boston off the waiver wire. Additionally, BB asked if he had dinner plans later in the week, he didn't say he would be in Boston in a Caps jersey. If this guy called Bourque going to Boston I gotta get to know this dude because I never saw it coming.

Posted by: fanohock1 | September 29, 2009 1:56 PM | Report abuse

@atybat

What a sob story!

facts on Nylander -
- No one wants him for his price tag...He would of accepted a trade by now if they did.
- He just doesnt work with the Caps style..
- Getting him off our books could be the key to the cup, so it has to be clear that he is not going to play here. We will take the financial hit if we have too.
-Nylander is not being rejected by the Caps, he is being rejected by the NHL!

Posted by: SA-Town | September 29, 2009 1:56 PM | Report abuse

joke443: NASCAR/INDYCAR/Drag Racing. No one cares. I was talking about NASCAR, I will use your goofy LMAO phrase, because ESPN got some rights to that sinking ship.

Posted by: fanohock1 | September 29, 2009 1:59 PM | Report abuse

BTW Versus was getting millions of viewers during the Finals. Not 300K like Indy racing.

Posted by: fanohock1 | September 29, 2009 2:00 PM | Report abuse

@fanohock1 - HEY, don't be dissin' IndyCar here, LOL! I happen to LIKE IndyCar racing. Then again, when I was growing up in Indiana, my choices for professional sports were IndyCar and basketball, and I despise basketball! :-p

But I do like IndyCar. ;-)

Posted by: irockthered | September 29, 2009 2:01 PM | Report abuse

Giroux and Aucoin clear waivers

Posted by: F0X7 | September 29, 2009 2:01 PM | Report abuse

Mega Blockbuster coming soon of Biblical Proportions...

Posted by: SA-Town | September 29, 2009 1:50 PM | Report abuse

Somethings brewing. I don't think it's a blockbuster

Posted by: Sonyask | September 29, 2009 2:02 PM | Report abuse

@Sa-town
Although we are not saying the same thing, we are not disagreeing....just a different angle.
PS The sob epithet just reflects your emotional/mental maturity.

Posted by: atybat | September 29, 2009 2:03 PM | Report abuse

From Tariks Twitter page

TarikElBashir: Boudreau just said Chris Bourque was placed on waivers at noon today.

What the...?

Posted by: chasedano@gmail.com | September 29, 2009 2:07 PM | Report abuse

dale earnhardt jr. reportely makes $34 mil/year in NASCAR. some on here say NASCAR is sinking??? LMAO

Posted by: joek443 | September 29, 2009 2:07 PM | Report abuse

@atybat - He meant "sob story" as in "sobbing, to weep, to cry," not "sonofa..." :-p

Posted by: irockthered | September 29, 2009 2:08 PM | Report abuse

New thread.

Posted by: irockthered | September 29, 2009 2:08 PM | Report abuse

I am thinking like SA-Town & Sonyask, something has to be in the works. C'mon pipe dream of Nyls and Bourque for Phaneuf (like I said - pipe dream)

Posted by: pkendrick | September 29, 2009 2:09 PM | Report abuse

good move to put CB on waivers. McPhee's actually looking for some help..wonder at what position..

Posted by: cstanton1 | September 29, 2009 2:14 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: joek443 | September 29, 2009 2:22 PM | Report abuse

Then, I apologize.

Posted by: atybat | September 29, 2009 2:25 PM | Report abuse

@atybat

SOB as in Sob, cry, weap..

Not S.O.B as in son of a ####

I wouldnt be that harsh...

Posted by: SA-Town | September 29, 2009 2:35 PM | Report abuse

"Blockbuster of biblical proportions. Wow. So, we've brought Terry Sawchuk back from the dead and he's starting on Thursday?

Short of trading OV or possibly Green, no trade would be that interesting. I'm not even sure that something is happening.

Posted by: oldtimehockey | September 29, 2009 3:42 PM | Report abuse

Interesting that Knuble already has enough cache in the lockerroom to warrant the "A". Does that mean OV didn't get one?

Posted by: ouvan59 | September 29, 2009 4:51 PM | Report abuse