Game 1 of the Gaetan Duchesne Cup (Updated)

The teams are on the ice at Kettler, warming up for the opening game of the Duchesne Cup tournament. Looks like it's going to be Brent Johnson in net for Team C and Jose Theodore for Team B.

Coach Bruce Boudreau said the format will be as follows: 30 minutes running clock, clear ice, 20 minutes running clock, clear ice, 10 minutes with stoppages.

I'll have details later.

On another subject, Nicklas Backstrom (sprained right ankle) particpated for the entire morning session. He was not assigned to a line and did not appear to be going 100-percent, but he does appear to be making significant progress.

Update:At the end of the "first" period, Team B has a 1-0 lead on a goal by Sergei Fedorov, who cut to the slot on a rush, took a pass from Alexander Semin and beat Johnson between the pads. In case you're wondering, Fedorov and Semin are skating with Brooks Laich (the presumed second line this season).

Update:At the end of 50 minutes, Team B has a 2-0 lead. Alexandre Giroux scored, knocking his own rebound past Daren Machesney.

Update:Team B hangs on for a 3-1 victory. Goaltending prospect Braden Holtby stopped Chris Clark (6-on-5) in the final minute and Eric Fehr scored into an empty net to clinch the win. Tomas Fleischmann scored the goal for Team C and was singled out for some praise by Boudreau afterward.

"I thought the last eight minutes, Flash was in control of the game," Boudreau said. "It looked like he said 'I'm going and you follow me'. That was a great goal he scored."

Here are some other observations:

*Clark, who had an assist, continued to look comfortable out there, showing no ill-effects from the groin injury. "That was the second test," he said. "It's an ongoing process, but these are the days I've been looking forward to, to make sure everything is going well."

*The Laich-Fedorov-Semin line was as dominant as one would expect it to be in a scrimmage that included a lot of players who won't be here next week.

*Michael Nylander, who appears to be completely healed from his shoulder injury, was impressive centering the second best line, which had Clark and Fleischmann on the wings. On a side note, Nylander has also started wearing a visor, which is slightly tinted a la Marian Hossa and Fedorov. Viktor Kozlov also has started wearing a visor, while David Steckel has removed his.

*Mike Green might have had the highlight of the game when he skated the puck end-to-end in the first period. He raced into the offensive zone and dished a beautiful backhanded pass to a streaking Brett Leffler, who, unfortunately, whiffed on it. (The puck was bouncing a bit, so perhaps Leffler deserves a pass.)

*The Duchesne Cup standings are as follows: Team B is 1-0; Team C is 0-1 and Team A is 0-0. Team A can eliminate Team C tomorrow at noon.

By Tarik El-Bashir  |  September 21, 2008; 11:39 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: The Gaetan Duchesne Cup
Next: Team A Looks to Eliminate Team C

Comments

first?

Posted by: Anonymous | September 21, 2008 12:16 PM | Report abuse

I would rather see the camps inter squad scrimmage than watch any of the NFL games on tap........ho hum

Posted by: capsfannmiss | September 21, 2008 12:27 PM | Report abuse

Go Team C!

Posted by: KK | September 21, 2008 12:32 PM | Report abuse

So, Fleischmann did not get an assist on that play?

:P

Posted by: Slava | September 21, 2008 1:03 PM | Report abuse

Go Team B!

Posted by: b | September 21, 2008 1:06 PM | Report abuse

I meant Brooks Laich, not Tomas Fleischmann. Fleischmann is skating on the left side of Nylander and Clark.

Posted by: Tarik | September 21, 2008 1:07 PM | Report abuse

Flash is presumed to be on the 2nd line this season? This is the first I've heard of this. I thought Laich was slated to be on that line. A Laich/Nylander/Clark line doesn't sound right to me.

Posted by: jon | September 21, 2008 1:08 PM | Report abuse

I laich, fedorov and semin.

Posted by: Slava | September 21, 2008 1:19 PM | Report abuse

@Jon
Definitely not Laich and Clark are the same style of player having them on the same line doesn't make any sense. You only need on guy screening the goalie. I'm really happy to hear how the lines did shake out though, the first three at least not sure whose on the fourth are exactly who I envisioned.

Posted by: DC FURY | September 21, 2008 1:20 PM | Report abuse

I think team b is better than team a. Semin's line will be as explosive as OV's line this season, if not more.

Posted by: wanggo | September 21, 2008 1:43 PM | Report abuse

Tarik, who scored for team C?

Posted by: Gavlegirl | September 21, 2008 1:53 PM | Report abuse

I love what Boudreau is doing with camp. Have fun, work your tail off and honor one of the most underrated players in the league during his time. Bruce won the Jack Adams award last season because he is a real mans coach and will do what it takes to motivate, inspire and push his players beyond their potential. When Bruce was called upon last Thanksgiving a lot of us, me included, had our doubts about what he would be able to do. While his road to coaching in the NHL was a fairy tale story, so was the rebound the Caps made last year to win the Southeast. I think the team this year is going to be more potent, aggressive and creative then ever before. Everyone on the team knows what Bruce wants and I think starting the season off fresh with him instead of mid-season is exactly what this team needs.

Tampa might have spent high dollars to fill out their roster...including Loaf-of-Bread Kolzig, but money will not and cannot buy you a winning squad. Bruce has what he needs and knows how to make his team work. So I say to the Southeast division and the rest of the NHL...watch out, cause the Caps are going to Rock the Red all over your candy butts!!!!!!

Posted by: Mitch | September 21, 2008 2:02 PM | Report abuse

Good to know that Team C didn't just lay down and die.

Posted by: Slava | September 21, 2008 2:19 PM | Report abuse

Flash is with Clark and Nylander, laich is with Semin and Feds. Flash is in, as Boudreau loves him, and he seems to be doing real well. I hope he carries it through to the regular season.

Posted by: Fashi13 | September 21, 2008 3:29 PM | Report abuse

The Caps need to put these up on their nhl.tv page like the Pens have with their team scrimmage(s)...

Posted by: rh71 | September 21, 2008 3:48 PM | Report abuse

I'm sorry but Steckel looks horrible out there. A bunch of players look fast, a bunch look strong, a bunch look like they need a bit more time at with the Bears, but Steckel looks slow and lost, like he does not have a clue what he should be doing or where he should be going. He stood out today, but that sure was not a good thing.

Posted by: Bob | September 21, 2008 4:00 PM | Report abuse

For anyone who missed it, the rookie game is now available on www.nhl.tv (use 'jump to' on the top of the landing page to get to the Caps page).

Greenie:
We just may be able to work that out! I think the game that we were looking at is in March. I'll let you know as we get closer if I am going to make the trip.

Posted by: Boo! | September 21, 2008 5:34 PM | Report abuse

BTW, I love BB but I don't get his fascination with Flash. Unless he blossomed this summer, there are still other guys that I would rather see on the team than him.

Posted by: Boo! | September 21, 2008 5:38 PM | Report abuse

If BB thinks Flash is the realdeal, then I say believe the coach that shook up a losing team and took them pretty darn far considering. Flash did have 10 goals last season, so he could have a breakout year. If Flash learns to effectively back-check and can work off checks, his stick, skating, and shooting skills may make him very valuable. More scoring threats = more goals & more wins.

Posted by: JIM | September 21, 2008 7:22 PM | Report abuse

Jim:
Please don't misunderstand what I'm saying - I have nothing but the utmost faith in our dear coach. I just don't 'get it' with Flash. Trust me, I hope he proves me wrong (won't be the first time! ;-)).

Posted by: Boo! | September 21, 2008 7:42 PM | Report abuse

Hey Boo!, I also have my doubts about Flash (back-checking and fighting off checks), but BB seems to maximize young players talents. I also see that the leadership improving with Clark, Nylander, and Federov all in the lockerroom at the same time. I think these guys along with BB will help Flash, Fehr, Semin, and Laich take their game to the next level. Up front the Caps suffer from an abundance of good players. I worry a bit more about the defense without many veterans. I'm hoping that Poti can play much better than last year given his healing shoulder. If he can play better, he may be able to help out Alzner, Green, Schultz, and Morrison mature. It bums me that Pothier will most likely not play this year (if ever again) for both the sake of missing a good veteran and his career -- it's gotta kill him not to skate as he must love the game. Peace out, Jim

Posted by: JIM | September 21, 2008 7:57 PM | Report abuse

Guys, Flash looked GOOD today. He was the player on the ice you noticed in the final 10 minutes. He almost put team C on his back and you could tell he was trying to. I tend to agree in many ways with you Boo about the way he played last year, but perhaps the Flash that BB knows was showing up today. I believe he could show up this year. Interesting that Mink is back in the fold via BB as well.

Posted by: Bob | September 21, 2008 8:37 PM | Report abuse

Hey Jim:
No doubt - even if Flash does not pan out (that was almost a pun), we have enough talent upfront to carry the offense. However, we are lacking a little on the defensive side. I think most folks agree that we could use a solid S@H (i.e. vet) d-man. It does not look like it will happen this season but, who knows, maybe next season. Not to get ahead of ourselves, but I can only assume that Fed won't come back in 09/10 - if so, that will free up some $$ for a d-man. But, then again, he may stick around. Only time will tell ...

Posted by: Boo! | September 21, 2008 8:45 PM | Report abuse

Bob:
I hope you're right. I was less than impressed (and frankly often frustrated) by Flash's play last season. I would be THRILLED if he was all that this season. I wish I could have seen him today ... hrmpf.

Posted by: Boo! | September 21, 2008 8:48 PM | Report abuse

still pictures from today's practice and scrimmage

Posted by: KCK | September 21, 2008 8:52 PM | Report abuse

Today was a scrimmage, about a third of the players are NHL players (I do think some off our Hershey guys would be playing on other teams)so you take it for what it is worth, but Flash was a force for 10 minutes. Hopefully BB can convince him to be that force for 60. I do think we have talent to spare at the next level and would not be suprised to see one of those guys stand out in the next 2 weeks. I did see some complacency on the ice today and that does bother me.

Posted by: Bob | September 21, 2008 9:10 PM | Report abuse

Thanks, KCK! I don't remember names/#s being on the back of practice jerseys - is that new this season?

Posted by: Boo! | September 21, 2008 9:11 PM | Report abuse

Bob:
"Hopefully BB can convince him to be that force for 60." I don't know why that struck me as funny, but it did! :-)

Posted by: Boo! | September 21, 2008 9:12 PM | Report abuse

May the force be with you Boo

Posted by: Bob | September 21, 2008 9:18 PM | Report abuse

I'm rooting for Team C. I want Clark, Nyles, Green, and Alzner to do well.

Posted by: Madflava | September 21, 2008 9:24 PM | Report abuse

If Boyd Gordon was on the ice today, I missed him. Odd that Steckel and B Gordon would disappear in the first scrimmage. Maybe they need time to get going.

Posted by: Bob | September 21, 2008 9:28 PM | Report abuse

Hello sports lovers, I would like to invite you to join my friends circle at a sports lover club [___"interracialchatting.com"___] where we can meet black and white singles to discuss sports, love, relationship, dating, life and so on.

Posted by: jerry | September 21, 2008 9:37 PM | Report abuse

during the practices, the player's name are attached with velcro.

As far as I remember they had jersey's with names/numbers during scrimmages at last year's camp (but I could be wrong on that one)

Boyd Gordon was on the ice during the scrimmage...I think he is one of the odd men out this year and needs to step up his game.

Posted by: KCK | September 21, 2008 9:39 PM | Report abuse

KCK, I know he was skating, he was just invisible, as in he did nothing. If he needs to step up, he did not, in fact he may have stepped down and out.

Posted by: Bob | September 21, 2008 10:17 PM | Report abuse

@KCK

wow! cool pics!...more please.

Posted by: fullright | September 21, 2008 11:24 PM | Report abuse

@Boo!

The nameplates are for camp.

Posted by: keef | September 22, 2008 7:45 AM | Report abuse

Steckel is a lock to be the 4th line center...

What line didnt change at all last season?

Brash/Steckel/Bradley

They were not good, they were great as a 4th line. Steckel is the "Best" face guy we have... Better than Gordon... Better than Fedorov... Way better than Backstrom and Laich...

He is the #2 PK guy on our team... And most importantly he is a BB favorite.

Posted by: JSchon | September 22, 2008 8:06 AM | Report abuse

Bob:
And you! :-)

Keef/KCK:
I know the nameplates are for camp, I just don't remember them being used in previous camps (in fact, I remember trying to figure out who was who at previous camps, since there were not names/#s ... without that, from a distance some of them look alike! :-)). Is it me? Am I losing my mind? Certainly would not be the first time ... ;-)

Posted by: Boo! | September 22, 2008 8:08 AM | Report abuse

The velcro name plates are new this year. They made their debut at the rookie camp and have been continued. It seems that A, B, and C teams all have jerseys with permanent names sewn on, but the "practice jerseys" just have velcro strips so that the coach can switch the lines around during practice. In practice yesterday he had sets of forwards in seperate colors, like 3 red, 3 green, etc and the d in dark blue or black. I think with 60+ skaters in camp, even the coaches need names. I am also happy at the prospect of seeing stray jerseys from the "teams" show up at the sale next summer.

Posted by: Bob | September 22, 2008 8:24 AM | Report abuse

@ Boo!

I agree that a veteran S@H defender would be a very nice addition, but the price would probably be too high with the Caps cap situation (as you addressed with Feds salary). I hope that Alzner, Morrison, and Schultz (big ? here and maybe even Jurnica, Cutta, or Godfrey if the hockey gods are truly kind) may all improve in this respect so this becomes a moot point. The Caps have some trade bait with so many young talented forwards, but not anyone who would take enough salary away to make a trade possible to fit under the cap. I see a couple trades for picks this year, however, with guys who can't crack the NHL lineup.

Posted by: JIM | September 22, 2008 9:01 AM | Report abuse

Boo -

Sorry I misunderstood the question. As Bob indicated (and confirmed) you aren't crazy, the velcro nameplates are new!!

Posted by: KCK | September 22, 2008 9:16 AM | Report abuse

I honestly think our Defense will be fine this year. The younger guys were much improved in the second half of the season and according to some statistical analysis they were among the best in the Eastern Conference. Would I prefer that we have a bit more physical presence on our blue line? Absolutely, but if they can play solid positioning and keep the puck out of the net then I'll be happy.

Posted by: Sombrero Guy | September 22, 2008 10:00 AM | Report abuse

So,

Gordo is this year's Brian Sutherby/ 5th line center/ press box viewer?

Posted by: old time hockey | September 22, 2008 10:15 AM | Report abuse

I think Gordo may be trade bait like Suds was last year, unless someone goes down or does not play well (Steckel or Bradley)

Posted by: JIM | September 22, 2008 10:33 AM | Report abuse

Cindy Crosby still living with Mario? Hummmmmmmm? Maybe its time for Mario to step out of the closet.

Posted by: wow | September 22, 2008 10:45 AM | Report abuse

Hey! What happened to all the speculation about the ice girls? I demand more aimless prognostication about our upcoming ice babes. Do they have a development camp we can get updates on?

Posted by: Tex | September 22, 2008 10:49 AM | Report abuse

My NHL scoreboard tracker on my sidebar shows games tonight!!!

Posted by: jmu_capsgirl | September 22, 2008 11:33 AM | Report abuse

My NHL scoreboard tracker on my sidebar shows games tonight!!!

Posted by: jmu_capsgirl | September 22, 2008 11:36 AM | Report abuse

Our defense is going to be awesome if Sami makes it, which he deserves to. They always say the Finn league is closest to the NHL, and he did good there. Then he did great in the American pros last year.. he won Finland a medal over the summer! He should be on this team!

I'm going to the Bears games on 10/10-11 in Norfolk! I'm friggin' excited! My first AHL games since the Bandits left Baltimore!

Posted by: Jordan | September 22, 2008 11:40 AM | Report abuse

As JSchon knows, Flash is not my favorite and too much inconsistency was my problem with him last year. So for me, he will have to prove himself. 10 minutes is not good enough for me unless that's all the ice time he gets!!! I expect if he is not injured, he plays 60 minutes of hockey or no hockey - mediocre is not good enough for me any more. I agree with BB - Good, but Not Good Enough Yet!!!! I want Lord Stanley in DC - it is coming, I can feel it - and I can't wait!!!
@Boo - keep me posted on the tickets!!

Posted by: Greenie | September 22, 2008 11:41 AM | Report abuse

I'm live from Kettler, waiting for Team A and Team C to take the ice. There aren't as many people as, say, the rookie game here but, there's plenty of fans waiting. I can see Joe Beninatti here talking to a couple fans about something, but otherwise not too many media types yet.

If anyone is here and also on their laptop, feel free to say hi. I'm the young dude with the flashy laptop in the stands facing the away bench. On person actually sitting in the stands with a laptop.

For whatever reason they're re-resurfacing the ice.

Posted by: CapsCorndog | September 22, 2008 11:58 AM | Report abuse

For whatever reason they're re-resurfacing the ice.

Posted by: CapsCorndog | September 22, 2008 12:01 PM | Report abuse

TEB. Quick question about caps ticket sales since single games went on sale to the public on sat., have you heard how many games are listed as sell outs so far? At least 3? Thanks

Posted by: Jay | September 22, 2008 12:01 PM | Report abuse

Sorry for the double post, the blog was slow!

The Zam is off the ice, the refs are standing ready, should be game on pretty soon!

Posted by: CapsCorndog | September 22, 2008 12:03 PM | Report abuse

@ Corndog,

Tell me how awesome Osala is. He's my fave forward not on the big club right now.

And Sami, tell me about him. haha. Earn your press pass!

Posted by: Jordan | September 22, 2008 12:54 PM | Report abuse

Jay --

My coworker ordered her single game tickets on Friday and she was told that there are at least 5 games that have sold out.

Posted by: Anonymous | September 22, 2008 12:54 PM | Report abuse