Update: Caps Interested in Winter Classic

I'm told the Caps have indeed expressed interest in participating in The Winter Classic. But as of this afternoon, according to team sources, the league had not communicated to the Caps whether they are, in fact, a finalist or even being considered for next year's game.

A league official told me that the location will be announced first and that the teams will be selected after the playoffs. But since it appears the location has leaked out early, it's possible that the teams involved will, too.

It would make a lot of sense for the Caps -- who have the game's biggest star in Alex Ovechkin and are arguably the league's most entertaining team -- to be involved in the event. It would make even more sense if the Caps and Bruins were to meet in the Eastern Conference finals.

Stay tuned on this one.

By Tarik El-Bashir  |  April 9, 2009; 2:46 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Caps to Play in Winter Classic?
Next: Tonight's Lineup: Caps at Lightning

Comments

FIRST. Don't jinx us Tarik!

Posted by: gtowncapsfan | April 9, 2009 2:51 PM | Report abuse

According to the comments left on the Boston site, they want either the Habs, Rags or Flyers. Some say there's not enough history with us. Most of them also say "original 6", etc. IMHO, they did that last year. Time for us younguns

Posted by: Greg S. | April 9, 2009 2:52 PM | Report abuse

I would like to see Semin flip a wrist shot over the Green Monster.

Posted by: SA-Town | April 9, 2009 2:54 PM | Report abuse

That would be great. Its also a no brainer. Tee Pens were already in (and dont tell me that Crosby wasn't the reason) so the Caps should get their due as well.

Posted by: oo7 | April 9, 2009 2:55 PM | Report abuse

yeah lets not jinx us here. Cup or Classic? I'll take the cup.

Posted by: cappies | April 9, 2009 3:10 PM | Report abuse

YEAHHH! :D

Posted by: rachel216 | April 9, 2009 3:10 PM | Report abuse

I would like to see Semin flip a wrist shot over the Green Monster.

Posted by: SA-Town
------------------------------------------

2 minutes delay of game!

Posted by: Redwolf1 | April 9, 2009 3:12 PM | Report abuse

What the folks in Beantown want is irrelevant... this is about national exposure for the NHL. And who's the biggest star in the league? (not the tallest) OV... you can make the argument for Cindy but they just had their shot. Putting the Caps in the game is a no-brainer... even for Bettman.

Posted by: Dave_in_Alexandria | April 9, 2009 3:13 PM | Report abuse

I think I remember reading a while back that the NHL would love a game at Yankee Stadium so that may rule out the Rags from playing in Beantown next Jan. 1. Caps/Bees would be sweet both there and in the Eastern finals this year.

Posted by: pacapsfan | April 9, 2009 3:19 PM | Report abuse

Sure it makes sense, but that's why they won't do it.

I agree with Greg S. We had Original Six last year. Time for someone different.

My guess is that who gets it depends on the outcome of the playoffs.

Posted by: kittypawz | April 9, 2009 3:25 PM | Report abuse

I'm not convinced that it would be a great idea for the Caps (and Ovi) to play in that game. Why? Because whenever we play Boston, Chara is glued to Ovi and smothers him all the time.

Instead of Ovi flying around and doing fancy and entertaining things and scoring, he'd be molested all game and probably not do much against Chara.

I'd love to see him pwn Chara tho, but Chara really smothers Ovi most of the time...

Posted by: sargeantmofo | April 9, 2009 3:27 PM | Report abuse

Is it game time yet? Can the clock move any slower?

Posted by: saintex | April 9, 2009 3:30 PM | Report abuse

Either way we're going to have to play Boston in the regular season and Chara will be on Ovie... so it doesn't make a difference if we were to play it outside.

Posted by: rachel216 | April 9, 2009 3:33 PM | Report abuse

If we win it'll be 11 in a row over the Lightning!

Posted by: rachel216 | April 9, 2009 3:34 PM | Report abuse

oops I just jinxed us, maybe I shouldn't of said that..

Posted by: rachel216 | April 9, 2009 3:35 PM | Report abuse

question: when the caps get at least one point tonight and secure 2 in the east, do they rest guys on saturday? how would the rags feel about that if the caps mailed it in vs. fla. and the game meant something? what if ovie is close to malkin for the scoring title, do you sit him???

Posted by: dcsportsfan1 | April 9, 2009 3:35 PM | Report abuse

The main guys should get less ice time. Your second question.. it all depends on what happens tonight. There are many big games and playoff implications tonight. After all the games we'll get a clearer view. If Montreal and New York both win tonight then the 8 playoff teams will be set. So the Rangers might not care if we mailed it in vs the Panthers. If Ovie is still in reach of Malkin for the scoring title, heck yes you play him!!!

Posted by: rachel216 | April 9, 2009 3:46 PM | Report abuse

Ok, so I have got to ask (if it hasn't been asked already) since teams always use retro uni's during the WC, what would the Caps wear? the original red/white/blue or the ones we adopted in 1996(ish)?

Posted by: superpaqman | April 9, 2009 3:48 PM | Report abuse

"The code" says we play our guys Saturday even if it doesnt mean anything.

I just wouldnt expect much hitting from our guys. If Florida comes out flying and hitting though, we might not have a choice.

Posted by: SA-Town | April 9, 2009 3:49 PM | Report abuse

It would be nice to see the Caps in the Winter Classic. If it doesn't work out, maybe they would try an alternative idea that I recently had.

Posted by: DAN-JR | April 9, 2009 3:50 PM | Report abuse

certainly if the rags win tonight then the game really is meaningless, other than ovie and the scoring title. does BB ask him to sit? also, i'm not sure about a code, but i'll bet mr bettman would want to ensure some competition particularly since the caps laying down would mean harm to the rags.

Posted by: dcsportsfan1 | April 9, 2009 3:52 PM | Report abuse

Sorry, I'll pass on schlepping over to Boston to watch the Caps against the Bruins in the cold. Now schlepping over to watch the Caps against the Bruins in the Mall in the cold? Different story all together. The view from the stands in last year's Winter Classic looked horrible. For the prices they charged, they'd better throw in some blankets and binoculars! Recreate the look and feel of our the Verizon Center outdoors, then count me in. =)

Posted by: LeftCoastCapsFan | April 9, 2009 3:54 PM | Report abuse

superpaqman, the Caps should wear the original red-white-blue with a fully-stitched logo, not the giant patch they're using on the replicas sold now.

Posted by: koalatek | April 9, 2009 3:55 PM | Report abuse

a while back, one of the Florida Panthers bloggers (or maybe it was the beat writer blogging) suggested Caps vs. Phlyers at Camden yards. That would be awesome.

Posted by: RedBirdie | April 9, 2009 4:04 PM | Report abuse

I would love to see the unis and pants with the stars down the arms and pants. Those were sick...

Posted by: numero94 | April 9, 2009 4:05 PM | Report abuse

In past Classics, the teams wore retros so i would assume that the Caps would also

Posted by: arcassells | April 9, 2009 4:10 PM | Report abuse

There's gotta be a westie in there somewhere. The first NYDay game was Edmonton v Montreal (I think). Then Sabers v Pens, then Det v Chi.

If this one is Boston, there has to be a west coast team involved. If it isn't the Boston game, then the NY one. I'd think they'd want to do a Boston v SJS to get the top teams of the 2 conferences to play against eachother. That would also draw western viewers.

Posted by: Greg S. | April 9, 2009 4:11 PM | Report abuse

At least our retro jerseys aren't nearly as hideous as the Habs' retro jerseys are! I mean, wow. They looked like a barber pole puked!

Posted by: irockthered | April 9, 2009 4:21 PM | Report abuse

irockthered, I take it you haven't seen pictures of the Caps' infamous white pants?

Posted by: koalatek | April 9, 2009 4:22 PM | Report abuse

I think the bigger question about the Boston article is why wasn't Washington even considered to host the Classic?

We've got the top star in the game. A hockey game on the lawn in front of the White House would be a pretty uplifting sign to alot of people in today's economy.

My concern with Fenway is the size of the stadium. Tickets to Wrigley were ridiculously and prohibitivly expensive this year. I live litterally 30 yards from Wrigley field and I didn't get to attend because stubhub tickets were running $500 a pop.

Regardless - if the Caps are in it - I'll be there. But hockey should be for everyone - especially these national type games.

Posted by: patrone | April 9, 2009 4:24 PM | Report abuse

George Mcphee will be on ESPN 980 shortly.. if anyone wanted to listen.

Posted by: rachel216 | April 9, 2009 4:27 PM | Report abuse

I would rather see the Caps and Flyers at Penn St.

Posted by: rarcr | April 9, 2009 4:28 PM | Report abuse

patrone, weather in DC is too unpredicable to lay down ice, I think. You never know if you're going to have brutal cold, like during innauguration, or 65 and sunny, as has happened nearly every winter for a random few days.

Posted by: RedBirdie | April 9, 2009 4:29 PM | Report abuse

Because it's not cold enough here.

Posted by: rachel216 | April 9, 2009 4:31 PM | Report abuse

Given the DC area's frequently unpredictable winters, I don't know how well it would get pulled off down here.

Posted by: SombreroGuy | April 9, 2009 4:48 PM | Report abuse

I would like to see Semin flip a wrist shot over the Green Monster.

so would i - as long as he is not in the d zone when he does it

Posted by: Capt_Kirk_in_AZ | April 9, 2009 4:59 PM | Report abuse

@koalatek - definitely have to bring out the white pants when we are in the WC.

@Sombreroguy - they have played outdoor games in Las Vegas, I think they could pull it off in DC.

@Gregs - Might have been Habs, but the Rags stick in my mind.

Also, I think my 4 yr. old son has it right, the team from Philly is the Flowers.

Posted by: ds_kelly | April 9, 2009 5:00 PM | Report abuse

tarik, those things would make sense if the game was going to be held thing year. the nhl is always a step behind on stuff like this. remember the caps last upswing (bonzai, etc.) had few nationally televised games during a really exciting seaon (lots of long overtime games, etc). they didn't ramp up tv coverage til the next year. why was anahaiem getting nbc slots this year or pittsburgh (which sucked until just recently)?

Posted by: am_jim | April 9, 2009 5:02 PM | Report abuse

White pants - did they really wear that? Must have been the early away uniform with the red jerseys. Anyway, that's gotta be better than white skates (early California Golden Seals - maruk's first team)

Posted by: CAP-lanta | April 9, 2009 5:02 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: am_jim | April 9, 2009 5:02 PM

both of these teams make the NHL tons of money.

Posted by: richmondphil | April 9, 2009 5:07 PM | Report abuse

The Caps should absolutely play in next year's Winter Classic. While many of the other franchises are hurting due to the economic hardship the Capitals are growing. We have the highest selling jersey in the NHL. It makes perfect business sense to have the Caps play in the WC. I want to be there!!

Posted by: capsfan01 | April 9, 2009 5:10 PM | Report abuse

Yeah, the white pants in question can be seen on this page: http://www.nhluniforms.com/1970s/1970sIntro.html

Posted by: koalatek | April 9, 2009 5:13 PM | Report abuse

Must... reach... 7:30... can't wait... any... longer...

Posted by: GregAnnapolis | April 9, 2009 5:21 PM | Report abuse

Greg, watch the Bemidji State vs. Miami (Ohio) game on ESPN2.. it'll help make time fly. :)

Posted by: rachel216 | April 9, 2009 5:27 PM | Report abuse

@koalatek - White? PANTS?! Oh dear...

Posted by: irockthered | April 9, 2009 5:38 PM | Report abuse

@koalatek: Thanks for the history lesson. As a newish Capitals fan, it's very helpful for me to absorb all I can about the team and its' storied past. =)

Posted by: LeftCoastCapsFan | April 9, 2009 5:39 PM | Report abuse

rachel216: No TV at the office... guess I could have thought ahead and done some streaming for myself though.

Posted by: GregAnnapolis | April 9, 2009 5:40 PM | Report abuse

@LeftCoastCapsFan
If you want another story about the "storied" history of the Caps, go the NHL.com and search for the story of the Caps' first ever road win. Let's just say "signed garbage can" is a testament to how lousy that first season was.

Posted by: koalatek | April 9, 2009 5:46 PM | Report abuse

Greg S. @ kittypaws

I am now worried about the many turnovers and the TA/GA stats. I need some context to understand what they mean. I am especially stymied to understand why a player like Ovie, with his great skating and puck handling skills, should have so many turnovers.

How does this compare to other elite players, like Malkin or Crosby? And where do we stand as a team in comparison to others?

A high number of turnovers AND a high number of penalties are not a great combination.

Posted by: caraveli | April 9, 2009 5:53 PM | Report abuse

Hey Good Caps Fans -- Teddie L raised a great point about just this thing during last week's Chalk Talk. It's just one more thing to distract from winning the Cup. I'm not saying that I'm opposed, I'm just telling you what I heard him say. GO CAPS!!

Posted by: Caps16Fan | April 9, 2009 5:57 PM | Report abuse