Updates From Caps Camp

Here are a few morning updates from @TarikElBashir, who is hard at work on our season preview but has promised to keep us in the loop:

* Chris Bourque, who got hit hard by Patrick Kaleta in the third, said he got his "bell rung" and isn't sure if he'll practice today.

* Nats players Pete Orr and Ross Detwiler are in the house at KCI. I'll have to ask why.

* Chris Bourque is not practicing. So it looks like there is some concern about his head after the hard open-ice hit he took last night.

* Alexander Semin just left the ice favoring his left leg. Looks like he might have injured an ankle. Will have an update soon hopefully.

* Good news for the Caps: Semin is walking around and the injury does not appear to be serious. Boudreau will speak in a minute.

* Just spoke to Semin briefly. He says he will be fine after he ran into Beagle and twisted his leg awkwardly.

* Boudreau on Semin: "I don't think this is an injury. I think this is a tweak."

* Boudreau: Bourque is day-to-day; Varlamov will start tomorrow.

* Caps will announce cuts momentarily. Stay tuned.

By Lindsay Applebaum  |  September 22, 2009; 10:33 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Sabres 2, Caps 1
Next: Caps Make More Cuts

Comments

Stupid twitter.

Posted by: jincargo | September 22, 2009 10:44 AM | Report abuse

hey at least they are putting the twitter updates on the more work user friendly blog.

Posted by: caps512 | September 22, 2009 10:47 AM | Report abuse

unless they actually copy/paste the text into a post, it's still blocked by my company...which is worse, because I can see that there are updates, but it's all white space. it's a tease.

Posted by: DCTexan90 | September 22, 2009 10:51 AM | Report abuse

I can't get it at work either!

Posted by: NatyBG | September 22, 2009 11:04 AM | Report abuse

I really dislike this twitter fad.

Posted by: ejohnsto | September 22, 2009 11:06 AM | Report abuse

I'll update it manually, even though nobody asked nicely!

Posted by: Lindsay_Applebaum | September 22, 2009 11:18 AM | Report abuse

Stupid twitter.

Posted by: jincargo | September 22, 2009 10:44 AM | Report abuse

Amen bruddah

Posted by: Sonyask | September 22, 2009 11:25 AM | Report abuse

Thanks Lindsay!! Twitter seems to run afoul of my work censors as well, but I just pull out the ol' cell phone and check it out. Lucky I have that option.

Posted by: _Mark | September 22, 2009 11:27 AM | Report abuse

Tarik better go back to basic journalism and forget about the twitter krap and video postings. What a royal pain. I'm gonna find my info somewhere else if this keeps up.

Cordially,
RBlatch

Posted by: rblatch45 | September 22, 2009 11:32 AM | Report abuse

thank you, Lindsay, you're the best sports editor in America!

Posted by: RedBirdie | September 22, 2009 11:33 AM | Report abuse

lol Thank you Lindsay :)

Posted by: honed | September 22, 2009 11:34 AM | Report abuse

RedBirdie,

Can you clean up the sarcasm and then send that to my boss?! Thanks.

Posted by: Lindsay_Applebaum | September 22, 2009 11:42 AM | Report abuse

is it really that much harder to put up a blog post than a twitter post? why create a post saying "hey, check out my post over here". why not just post in one place?! this is highly inefficient, and a waste of resources!!

Posted by: sargeantmofo | September 22, 2009 11:53 AM | Report abuse

Lindsay, I won't use sarcasm when I say you're among the best in America when it comes to using this newer technology to commit journalism. (But I'm also among the crowd who'd like to lose Twitter.)

I can't speak about Ross Detwiler but since Pete Orr's uncle is named Bobby (yes, THAT Bobby Orr) I'd be willing to wager diamonds to donuts that Pete's spent some time on the ice in his younger years.

Posted by: greggwiggins | September 22, 2009 11:54 AM | Report abuse

Cordially,
RBlatch

Posted by: rblatch45 | September 22, 2009 11:32 AM | Report abuse

See ya! Dont let the door hit you on the way out.

Posted by: Capsfannmiss | September 22, 2009 11:59 AM | Report abuse

You can tell the technologically impaired/over 35 crowd based on their hate of twitter ;)

Posted by: Bagher | September 22, 2009 12:00 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: alexanderperlmutter | September 22, 2009 12:05 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: alexanderperlmutter | September 22, 2009 12:07 PM | Report abuse

Check my twitter page to see my comment:

Posted by: SlavaKM | September 22, 2009 12:23 PM | Report abuse

"Here are a few morning updates from @TarikElBashir, who is hard at work on our season preview ..."

Where does he work and what does he do?

Posted by: hock1 | September 22, 2009 12:49 PM | Report abuse

Semin injures his ankle? Never heard that one before.

Posted by: Raber | September 22, 2009 12:52 PM | Report abuse

For all of you who cannot see twitter "Alexander Semin just left the ice favoring his left leg. Looks like he might have injured an ankle. Will have an update soon hopefully"

Posted by: pkendrick | September 22, 2009 12:53 PM | Report abuse

Does anyone know what the deal is with Nylander? I know we cannot move him but...come on....is he just gonna sit and not play for 5mln per year!!?? @bovim

Posted by: bovim3 | September 22, 2009 1:03 PM | Report abuse

@Bagher - Actually, I'm 44 and use Twitter - but I cannot do so at work, nor can I receive Twitter updates on my Blackberry, as I can't have it in the office due to working in a secure facility. Don't use age-based generalizations; they will usually bite you hard.

@Lindsay - Thank you for manually updating the blog; see above. I think you'll find that many of us are professionals who are unable to access Twitter feeds at work, but can access the blog. Twitter is great for in-game updates, but not during the day.

Re: Bourque - Ouch. Dang, I knew he went down hard. Anybody closer see what actually happened? We thought, up in 429, it was a high stick, but they called it as interference...

Re: Semin - Gaah! Hope he's OK! That ain't cool.

Posted by: irockthered | September 22, 2009 1:05 PM | Report abuse

I sure hope Alexander Semin hit the weight room some this summer, to work on his durability & strength.

and thanks Lindsay, I see Tarik's tweets now over at Twitter, but I'm more used to checking for Caps' news, here.

Posted by: Max231 | September 22, 2009 1:28 PM | Report abuse

Could we be so lucky as to see Mike Green cut? Oh wishes...

Posted by: hackeynut | September 22, 2009 1:39 PM | Report abuse

lol, that's nutty, Nut!

Posted by: Max231 | September 22, 2009 1:43 PM | Report abuse

...It's not that I am not tech-savvy enough to use Twitter it's that the majority of the internet is blocked (ie webmail, games, social networking, personal sites, blogs, heck even Dump 'n Chase is blocked since it moved to the message boards), but Tarik's blog is connected to a National Newspaper, giving me one wonderful glimpse of my hockey fix at work.

Thanks for updating, Lindsay! You even get appreciation for spelling your name the proper way! ;) Coming from another Lindsay now living with all these "Lindsey"s in Texas.

Posted by: DCTexan90 | September 22, 2009 1:45 PM | Report abuse

"I see Tarik's tweets now over at Twitter, but I'm more used to checking for Caps' news, here."

I really don't want to see another man's "tweets."

Thank you.

Posted by: tominfl1 | September 22, 2009 1:55 PM | Report abuse

Man, big brother has got most of you in his grasp, I guess I'm one of the few lucky ones.

Posted by: Moose33 | September 22, 2009 1:56 PM | Report abuse

Thanks to Tarik and Lindsay for all they do. It increases my enjoyment of the Caps, and I'm sure many others too.

Posted by: zmega | September 22, 2009 1:56 PM | Report abuse

"Chris Bourque, who got hit hard by Patrick Kaleta in the third, said he got his "bell rung" and isn't sure if he'll practice today."

This is why Chris Bourque will have a hard time in the NHL. He already has 2 concussions in the minors. This is his 3rd and if he thinks Kaleta hits hard wait till he has to go into the corners against some big NHL defensemen. Bourque isn't a shifty player so a lot of his game will be in traffic. I just can't see him holding up and being durable over a full NHL season.

Posted by: cstanton1 | September 22, 2009 1:58 PM | Report abuse

Time to unload the Bourque's, Aucoins of the world. Too small for DC! We need big guys. When will GMGM make a move and unlease the Nylander??

Posted by: bovim3 | September 22, 2009 2:08 PM | Report abuse

(Repost from last thread)
Lumberjack's open ice hit last night was Phaneuf-esque.

Posted by: doughless | September 22, 2009 10:08 AM

@doughless:

You are correct.

But let's come up with a more easily-spoken adjective along the lines of "Datsyukian", shall we?

How about "Phaneufian", "Phaneufoid", or "Phan-tastic"?...or maybe even a new verb, e.g.:

"Did anyone see how the Lumberjack 'pfaneufed' that guy last night?"

I kid, of course. XD

Posted by: Rhino40 | September 22, 2009 2:15 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: bovim3 | September 22, 2009 2:08 PM

This horse has been pulverized. Just step away.

Posted by: Greg S. | September 22, 2009 2:16 PM | Report abuse

I'm a big Aucoin backer. I enjoyed seeing him on the ice last year when TB was in town. I figured he probably got a kick being on the ice with Martin St. Louis. Hey, St. Louis scored 80 points last year. Small can be beautiful, and AuCoin works his a** off.

Glad to see the tweets case in regular blog-speak above. Maybe I'm just old, but tweets seem pretty faddish and I'm just not interested enough in other people's ideas about what's important.

Posted by: Sonyask | September 22, 2009 2:37 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Bagher | September 22, 2009 12:00 PM | Report abuse

35? Really??? Turning 40 next week and happily following Tarik and that other Caps beat reporter on Twitter (their tweets are virtually identical).

My latest tweet: Bagher is clueless.

Posted by: CapsChick | September 22, 2009 2:37 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: bovim3 | September 22, 2009 2:08 PM

This horse has been pulverized. Just step away.

Posted by: Greg S. | September 22, 2009 2:16 PM

@Greg S.:

Too true. Not just pulverized: mummified. Fossilized , even.

Posted by: Rhino40 | September 22, 2009 2:37 PM | Report abuse

--Geez, guys are either too big or too small for this team. Who are we, Goldilocks?--

correction. Guys are either too small, or they play small even though they're big.

The only "small" player I like in our org is Perrault. He plays a very different style than Bourque and Aucoin because he's shifty and is able to skate around bigger guys instead of taking a lot of hits. Bourque isn't shifty, he's just a small straight ahead kind of player who gets swallowed up by bigger players. I think Perrault is ahead of both of them on the nhl track.

glad Andrew Gordon is finally getting his shot. He's been the most quietly improving young player at Hershey for the past 3 yrs.

Posted by: cstanton1 | September 22, 2009 2:43 PM | Report abuse

I'll add another vote to ditch twitter. It's a pointless site that cannot be accessed behind most corporate firewalls.

Posted by: brihobbs | September 22, 2009 2:53 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Bagher | September 22, 2009 12:00 PM | Report abuse

My latest tweet: Bagher is clueless.

Posted by: CapsChick | September 22, 2009 2:37 PM

@CapsChick:

You Go , Girl! I think maybe Bagher is suffering from hipper-than-thou syndrome, exemplified here:

And here...

Posted by: Rhino40 | September 22, 2009 2:54 PM | Report abuse

@Lindsay: I'll be happy to give your boss a good word on your account! What is his Twitter account? I'll Tweet him!

Posted by: majiksea | September 22, 2009 2:56 PM | Report abuse

Carllson cut.

Posted by: oldtimehockey | September 22, 2009 2:58 PM | Report abuse

Carllson cut.

Posted by: oldtimehockey | September 22, 2009 3:00 PM | Report abuse

Carllson cut.

Posted by: oldtimehockey | September 22, 2009 2:58 PM | Report abuse

Not a big surprise. Give him a good year to develop. Looking forward to a bright future for this guy with the Caps.

Posted by: Sonyask | September 22, 2009 3:00 PM | Report abuse

for those of use twitterless @ work
the 6 cuts

personally I thought Joudrey & Carlson played awesome last night

Posted by: capsgary | September 22, 2009 3:04 PM | Report abuse

Thanks so much for the nice comments, @greggwiggins, DCTexan90, zmega, majiksea (sadly, the boss does not have a Twitter account)

I'll make sure the "tweets" -- hate that word, by the way -- are posted in good, old-fashioned bloggy form from now on.

Posted by: Lindsay_Applebaum | September 22, 2009 4:16 PM | Report abuse

@rhino40 and Greg S: The horse is now Elmer's glue.

@hackeynut: cut Green? What are you smoking?

Posted by: dccitizen1 | September 23, 2009 7:42 AM | Report abuse