Updates from practice: Semin hurt

Tarik's running to talk to GMGM, so here are a few updates via Twitter:

* Jose Theodore is on the ice for practice after missing yesterday's game for family reasons.

* Many players are taking their option not to skate today, including Alexander Semin, who missed last night's game with a wrist injury.

* No update on Alexander Semin's status yet. Hope to have one soon. He just walked back into KCI, presumably from doctor's office.

* Coach Bruce Boudreau said Sean Avery talked trash to him for the entire warmup last night at MSG. The comments were mostly about BB's book.

* Defenseman Milan Jurcina (lower body) skated on his own this morning. So he's making progress.

* Quintin Laing had plates inserted into his jaw last night in NYC. Bruce Boudreau hopes he'll be back sooner than expected.

* Chris Clark on Quintin Laing: "It's like he plays the game with someone else's body."

* Alexander Semin has been spotted wearing a brace (the kind with velcro straps) on his right wrist.

By Lindsay Applebaum  |  November 18, 2009; 12:52 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Morning roundup: Bradley steals the spotlight
Next: Updates on Semin, Laing and Theodore

Comments

The only problem is the Caps can't "cover" Nylander's contract. I guess they can if they bring him through re-entry waivers and a team picks him up, thus the Caps are stuck with 1/2 his salary. Again, remember, Nylander has to approve a move, because it seems he will not just to go any team willing to have him. Well, the Caps made their bed, and they'll have to live it. It would just be nice to have some Cap space to make any necessary defensive additions for the playoffs. Appears we are set offensively, even when resorting to call-ups. Last year's defensive call-ups did well too and Alzner and Carlson are probably up to the task if needed.

BTW, I didn't notice ShaMo the last 1/2 of the game, and it wasn't mentioned during the broadcast. A look back at his minutes and he logged just over 10, and Erkine, who normally logs 10 or so was at 18. Was he injured or benched?

Posted by: fanohock1 | November 18, 2009 12:56 PM | Report abuse

Why doesnt the Post have a Caps Chat every week??? The only wining team in the Area...and we have nothing...

Posted by: OVIHtrick8 | November 18, 2009 1:01 PM | Report abuse

because the Caps haven't been around forever like the Skins and there are actually fans out there who still think they can win out and make the playoffs this year... LOL just heard from one of those people on the radio... says they're going to the superbowl!!!

Posted by: joek443 | November 18, 2009 1:05 PM | Report abuse

"Coach Bruce Boudreau said Sean Avery talked trash to him for the entire warmup last night at MSG. The comments were mostly about BB's book."

So Sean Avery thinks anyone would believe he actually read a book that wasn't about himself???

Posted by: greggwiggins | November 18, 2009 1:07 PM | Report abuse

"So Sean Avery thinks anyone would believe he can actually read."

That's more like it.

Posted by: southside721 | November 18, 2009 1:11 PM | Report abuse

@Sean Avery: I know its his job to agitate and be a pest but doesnt he get tired of players and teams making him eat his words?

Oh and thanks for that power play chance that Ov cashed in on. You are atrue credit to your team.

Posted by: BLUELINER34 | November 18, 2009 1:11 PM | Report abuse

Sean Avery can read?

Posted by: cadlecreek1 | November 18, 2009 1:12 PM | Report abuse

The last book Avery read was "LA Candy" by Lauren Conrad.

Posted by: capsfansince74 | November 18, 2009 1:12 PM | Report abuse

I love Avery - he gives us games on a plate even in the playoffs...Sean, keep up the stupidity!

Posted by: lylewimbledon | November 18, 2009 1:14 PM | Report abuse

I know its not cool to wish bodily harm to someone but Avery must be the best at his job of any pest in recent times. I cant remember a player that gets me screaming at my tv more than him.

Posted by: BLUELINER34 | November 18, 2009 1:14 PM | Report abuse

Hope Laing comes back soon, but what a great idea he had having a plate installed. Now he can block more pucks with his face and get right back up. Awesome Q.

Posted by: washingtoncapitals | November 18, 2009 1:19 PM | Report abuse

Brought over from previous post:

@Phil

Easy answer - Laing plays everynight in pain and sacrifices his body despite that...Fehr gets a hip chck and is out for 2 weeks.

Posted by: lylewimbledon | November 18, 2009 1:05 PM | Report abuse

Lyle,
So you are saying that Fehr wasn't playing in pain every game last season with two torn labrums....get a grip man, you just have something against Fehr and are blindly trashing him at every turn. Like to see you try and just walk around daily with two torn labrums less more try and play a professional sport.

Posted by: PhilR | November 18, 2009 1:16 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: PhilR | November 18, 2009 1:19 PM | Report abuse

Avery is like Esa Tikkanen without the talent

Posted by: joek443 | November 18, 2009 1:20 PM | Report abuse

[sarcasm]
@BLUELINER34: Oh come on. It's perfectly legal to punch an unsuspecting goalie in the head as you poass by. How could that make you mad?
[/sarcasm]

Posted by: BigRed8 | November 18, 2009 1:22 PM | Report abuse

i think avery is a very talented player. when he puts his mind to it and cuts the cr@p he is very effective. i think if he dialed back a bit of the shenanigans he would be even more effective. if he would stop w/ the goalie head punches and pretending he never does anything wrong he'd be better off in the long run. refs are on to his act and he's not going to get the benefit of the doubt (except for last night). he can still play with an edge without that nonsense.

Posted by: dcsportsfan1 | November 18, 2009 1:25 PM | Report abuse

@Phil

I haven't bashed Fehr for a while, but will be happy to do so...BB basically called him out after his last injury and said he better play instead of sitting on the sidelines. I don't like Fehr because he is unrealized talent that is taking up roster and cap space that could be better served to someone that will contribute and play more than a quarter of a season.

Posted by: lylewimbledon | November 18, 2009 1:26 PM | Report abuse

The last book Avery read was "LA Candy" by Lauren Conrad.

Posted by: capsfansince74
_________________________________________

This made me laugh...thank you! I thought he only read fashion magazine, since he and Henrick were tagged as "slaves to fashion" by NHL.com! I thought hockey was a real man's sport, but they are proving me wrong!

Posted by: NatyBG | November 18, 2009 1:32 PM | Report abuse

Way to ask for an update on Nyls Tarik.

So diligent.

Posted by: CapsandRavens | November 18, 2009 1:39 PM | Report abuse

Say what you want about Sean Avery, love him or hate him, you will watch him play. He's the most intriguing guy on the ice when he's out there (#8 notwithstanding). I'm not praising what he does, but when he's out there, I'm focused on him alone- just to see what he's going to do next.

In a related story- I love Howard Stern.

Posted by: Fro_ | November 18, 2009 1:42 PM | Report abuse

cant everyone just let the Nyls things go?? screw Avery, Brads is the real deal.

Posted by: doughless | November 18, 2009 1:52 PM | Report abuse

People love to watch Avery the way they love to watch a train wreck.

He gives the game a very bad name, when yes, as mentioned above, he has talent and could play to his potential.

The NHL purged itself of Matthew Barnaby and his psychosis, the way it will purge itself of Avery (soon enough).

Posted by: netminder71 | November 18, 2009 1:54 PM | Report abuse

I'll also give Avery credit, if for no other reason that he can get in your head and gets people to watch. He's fun to hate because he loves being hated. The look on his face was priceless when he got cross checked by Erskine, and then the replay shows him punching Varly in the head. What other DBag can get away with that type of acting? I'll admit that when he was a healthy scratch during the playoffs last year I missed him a little, though I'm sure the Rangers didn't.

Posted by: Rainier1 | November 18, 2009 1:58 PM | Report abuse

Avery is a classless idiot. Why the NHL ever let him back into the league is beyond me. He might be entertaining to some people, but 99% of the time he is a detriment to the league and his team, and is always a very poor role model. All I have to say to Avery is 4 to 2…thats what all your antics got you during this game…4 to 2…

Posted by: joe2856 | November 18, 2009 2:01 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: netminder71 | November 18, 2009 1:54 PM

That's what I want to happen - I personally can't stand to watch him on the ice, to see him do cheap things like punch Varly in the head (and remember his cheap shot to Tim Thomas last season) and get away with it by refs who either don't see it or don't want to see it. And how low does he have to be to trash talk Boudreau during warm ups? I'm glad Bruce wrote about his antics in his book.

Posted by: DevilsCapsGal | November 18, 2009 2:01 PM | Report abuse

give Avery credit...he gives us games everytime he plays - thanks, Sean, for the PP goal last night!

Posted by: lylewimbledon | November 18, 2009 2:07 PM | Report abuse

Does anyone know what the story is with S. Morrison? Is he hurt or did he just get benched? He only played about 1/2 as many shifts as the other D-men and I didn't see him at all in the third period.

Posted by: evco94 | November 18, 2009 2:08 PM | Report abuse

I don't mind Avery, pests are pests.

I just think that he should be endlessly checked into the boards for all the things he does against other team's goalies. Even idiots can get an NHL contract.

Posted by: richmondphil | November 18, 2009 2:13 PM | Report abuse

Avery is a sociopath. He can be effective when he is (somewhat) under control. It says something about the Rangers organization that they want him on their team. There will be a place in the NHL for players like him as long as the league tolerates that kind of crap. Good refereeing and appropriate rules could quickly run his kind out of the league. Nevertheless, it should be noted that the Caps brought in Matt Cooke 2 years ago to provide similar agitation, and it wouldn't be surprising if they brought in a similar player for the playoff run this year.

Posted by: zmega | November 18, 2009 2:16 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: FusilliJerry1 | November 18, 2009 2:21 PM | Report abuse

"...it should be noted that the Caps brought in Matt Cooke 2 years ago to provide similar agitation..."

Posted by: zmega | November 18, 2009 2:16 PM

Agreed- although his style of agitation was slightly less- agitating? I thought Cooke was a great fit at the time we got him. Unfortunately, he was a little too expensive and headed to Pitt. What can I say- it worked out for him.

I wouldn't mind having him (or someone very similar) back on the squad, however.

Posted by: Fro_ | November 18, 2009 2:23 PM | Report abuse

@Fusilli

I am assuming that was last night/the other game this year since #53 is there. Great pic!

Posted by: richmondphil | November 18, 2009 2:28 PM | Report abuse

I don't know about Shamo, but Poti had an amazingly------AWFUL game again.

Posted by: sidehillman | November 18, 2009 2:30 PM | Report abuse

Cooke was a total D&*# like Avery has always been. The Rangers coach, I tend to believe, hates him but has to put up with him because the GM brought him back to the team. Torts always has this "there he goes again, screwing us" look when Avery gets called for a penalty. There was an article somewhere yesterday or the day before where he has been used sparingly and when he is on the ice, it is almost as if he had been neutered.

Posted by: FusilliJerry1 | November 18, 2009 2:32 PM | Report abuse

@richmondphil

It was last nights game.

Posted by: FusilliJerry1 | November 18, 2009 2:34 PM | Report abuse

I'm probably in the minority, but I don't see anything wrong with Avery. Yeah he takes cheap shots at goalies, but he's certainly not the only one (see Chris Kunitz). Hockey players are always trying to get away with stuff when the refs aren't looking, even guys on our own team. As for calling BB fat, I'm sure other players have said much worse. It is apart of the game.

Posted by: ablake70 | November 18, 2009 2:41 PM | Report abuse

Yeah trash talk is part of the game. And Avery has a thing for goalies. BUT he needs to get nailed on it when he goes after our goalie. To that end-GREAT PIC-made my day.

And no I don't like Avery, but I'm not calling for him to get hurt. However, I think HE would happily hurt someone if he could get away with it. He is really a yucky kind of person, not just athlete. I'm not into his antics--just into neutralizing him.

Posted by: newbiecapsfan07 | November 18, 2009 2:49 PM | Report abuse

@FusilliJerry1

ty this is my new desktop...

Avery is a prototypical dbag. I know that smack talk will always be part of sports at almost any level but talking trash to BB seems like calling Santa Claus fat. Bruce looks like one of the nicest guys and after reading his book I have even more respect for him as a coach and a player.

There are alot of mean and dirty people in the world, its just a shame that Avery has been rewarded with million dollar contracts to be one.

Posted by: BLUELINER34 | November 18, 2009 3:00 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: evco94 | November 18, 2009 2:08 PM

BB started matching Poti against Gaborik in the 3rd, for better or for worse. It meant there were times when Green took a shift and Poti was on there with him.

Posted by: Raber | November 18, 2009 3:02 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: BLUELINER34 | November 18, 2009 3:00 PM

If Alex Semin read these and other blogs calling him a wuss or a woman and complained about it publicly, what would you think of him? Calling someone fat is tame by pro sports standards.

Posted by: ablake70 | November 18, 2009 3:14 PM | Report abuse

Esa Tikkanen was the biggest trash talker in hockey, so much so that he even had his own language.. TIKKANESE

the difference between him and Avery is that Tikkanen was a good player who produced... something Avery just isn't.

Posted by: joek443 | November 18, 2009 4:15 PM | Report abuse

Again, hit Avery where it hurts - burn his designer duds! Right at the top of his position description - D-Bag!

Posted by: LeftCoastCapsFan | November 18, 2009 4:56 PM | Report abuse

@joek443

I hate Avery like everyone else but to say that he isnt a decent hockey or points producer just isnt accurate.

Avery Games 436
Goals 75
Assists 121
Points 196
Pims 1199

Thats roughly a .5 pgp pace for his career.
Id call those fairly decent numbers for someone who is considered a grinder/pest.

Posted by: BLUELINER34 | November 18, 2009 9:33 PM | Report abuse