Updates on Brashear, Morrisonn and ESPN

Caps GM George McPhee and Donald Brashear have declined to comment on the six-game suspension that was handed down earlier today.

Also, regarding the alleged Shaone Morrisonn biting incident, I'm told by a Capitals source that the league looked into it, but that no disciplinary action is expected to come as a result of the review.

And finally, remember this morning when ESPN erroneously said that The Washington Post was reporting that Mike Green and Donald Brashear had each been suspended one game? Well, I did a little digging on that, too. And apparently, as I'm told, someone called ESPN and said they were a reporter for The Post and gave them the false information.

Anyway, here is the statement that ESPN just sent me: "Our news desk received a call from someone representing themselves as from the Washington Post. We did not follow our own fact-checking procedures and mistakenly reported the story. When we did the proper reporting we amended it. We apologize for the error."

By Tarik El-Bashir  |  April 27, 2009; 5:58 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Brashear Suspended for 6 Games
Next: Brashear: 'I'm Just Disappointed'

Comments

That person who identified himself as the Post reporter must be jk or rangersin5. LOLOLOL!!!

Posted by: tempusfugitrgv | April 27, 2009 6:01 PM | Report abuse

JK and RangerFan,

I am not supporting Brashes hit, however, I do support it if the NHL did nothing about Orr's hit on Semin, Dubi's hit on Green, or Avery's swing at Jurcina... what does it take, for someone to get injured like Betts? This all could have been prevented with the suspension of guys that are taking runs at other players. Don't blame Brash, that's his job if the NHL does nothing about it. But, you are right, losing Brash is not as bad as losing Betts. I'm just saying, the NHL could have prevented this had they taken action. The only action they took was when someone got injured.

Posted by: _828 | April 27, 2009 6:02 PM | Report abuse

ESPN = weak. Won't run anything about hockey unless it's bad. It's a shame.

My thoughts on Brash:
I've never been a fan of goonery. If you're gonna start stuff, or you need to do something retaliatory, keep it in the game. The hit: borderline at best, but he should have known the risk and that he was under the same scrutiny as Avery.
The suspension: harsh, but if the league wants to send a message and it just so happened to have fallen on Brash, than so be it.

Posted by: snakegriffin | April 27, 2009 6:04 PM | Report abuse

wonder if brash will twitter about this tonight :) sorry, im as pissed as most of you about this, but i do find it funny picturing brash on twitter...

with all this drama i'm really looking forward to tomorrow's game. i'm hoping so hard that our boys will prove that all this nitpicking and whining doesn't matter. i'm hoping that they show the rags they can play the game better no matter what torts or campbell throw at them. i hope...

Posted by: mrszilla | April 27, 2009 6:05 PM | Report abuse

This is total crap!! If the cheap shot on Green did not lead to a suspension, then why this Answer: the Ranger got busted up! The bum—Campbell—who calls these decisions got his job because of his nepotistic father. This is wildly excessive. As far as I am concerned, the NHL declared war on the Caps and we should treat it as such. No hold barred!! Abuse these officiating bums from the first whistle. Ignore the NHL official apologists/parasites like Bill Clements and his ilk!

Oh by the way, where is the 6 gamer for Avery??

Posted by: bardo2 | April 27, 2009 6:06 PM | Report abuse

"Oh by the way, where is the 6 gamer for Avery??"

If you don't hurt anyone, you do not get a suspension...

Posted by: _828 | April 27, 2009 6:09 PM | Report abuse

azzy60: Blog- To write entries in, add material to, or maintain a weblog.

Good job though, trying to make yourself actually sound intelligent. Trying to make other people sound dumb instead you sound like a fool.

Posted by: rachel216 | April 27, 2009 6:09 PM | Report abuse

The four-letter is a joke.

Posted by: jpalexa1 | April 27, 2009 6:10 PM | Report abuse

Funny how it says: Search This Blog ... Be the first to know when there's a new installment of Capitals Insider! ...

Posted by: rachel216 | April 27, 2009 6:10 PM | Report abuse

That's interesting how ESPN works--some random guy calls to tell them something and they report it, no questions asked--even though anyone who knew anything about yesterday's game would know that there was no reason Mike Green would have been suspended. Nice.

Posted by: TheFingerman | April 27, 2009 6:12 PM | Report abuse

Wow! Didn't see that coming. This will hurt but we need Clark or Aucoin to come in and play an agitator role. Both Clark and Aucoin have more scoring ability so that will help as well. We started winning when he got in the lineup so don't tell me he isn't a factor.

Posted by: pokerface1208 | April 27, 2009 6:12 PM | Report abuse

I agree. Brash is out in Game 7. Let's cut the crap and get to work. I think it would be great to see Aucoin.

And let's ignore the trolls, OK?

Posted by: Sonyask | April 27, 2009 6:16 PM | Report abuse

I'll buy a beer for the first person to call ESPN as the NY Times to report that Avery has finally come out of the closet and plans to quit hockey after game 7 to persue his passion for women's fashion.

Posted by: mrszilla | April 27, 2009 6:18 PM | Report abuse

I disagree with the length of the suspension for a number of reasons, not the least of which is that Brad May was suspended in 2007 for three games for sucker-punching Kim Johnsson, a guy who's been in probably two fights, and pile-driving him into the ice.
Brash got a raw deal. I can see two games (one for each incident) but six is excessive.

Posted by: ComoPark | April 27, 2009 6:20 PM | Report abuse

The circus continues....I really might stay away from the blog tomorrow as I am getting tired of it.

I just hope we can get down to hockey and settle this thing. I expect the Rangers to play way back and try for a 2-1 type victory. They wont want to run with us on home ice...We will have to create traffic again...

See you all at the booth..be loud and proud...ROCK THE RED!

Posted by: SA-Town | April 27, 2009 6:24 PM | Report abuse

On the Mo thing, I still think that absent clear tape and a "He said, she said" case(Mo is the he, by the way...) the league can't do much.

The more I watch the Brash tape the more the 5 games bugs me. (I'll concede the 1 game for the pre-game stuff was pretty much automatic.) That is entirely too much in the playoffs, especially for an open ice hit that didn't involve a knee.

But, like it or not, Brash is a repeat offender and generally regarded by the league (IMHO) as a one dimensional player. Clearly repeat offenders (Simon being one of the best examples over the years) get treated differently. Repeat offenders perceived as talented (like Pronger, and unfortuntely Avery) get their own suspension list. They still get suspended when they do stupid stuff, but not as long. If Brashear had made comments about his ex-girlfriend in the media he might have been deported to Canada.

Posted by: oldtimehockey | April 27, 2009 6:25 PM | Report abuse

The one game suspension for the bump at center ice is a joke. What about suspending the guy (not sure who it was) who was standing at center ice taunting our guys. What a joke this is! The NHL really needs to get a grip and start evaluating incidents as a whole instead of an "infraction". It makes everybody look idiotic.

Posted by: pokerface1208 | April 27, 2009 6:26 PM | Report abuse

I agree, SA; this is a little frustrating around here right now.

Can't wait to get in the seat tomorrow. Rock the Red!!!

Posted by: Sonyask | April 27, 2009 6:26 PM | Report abuse

I saw that some ranger fan idiot noted that Olczyk wasn't biased towards the Rangers as a former Pens coach, blah blah blah. Nitwit. THe guy won the cup with the rags in 94. THey even said that during the game. we're drawing all the tools out. Stoop talking to trolls people, you only encourage them. We have a lot of games left and by the end of it, at this rate, this place is gonna be full of morons.

Posted by: oo7 | April 27, 2009 6:34 PM | Report abuse

Who does ESPN have covering the NHL these days? Brain dead interns? They just print whatever some random caller tells them? Great reporting!

Posted by: ranndino | April 27, 2009 6:36 PM | Report abuse

I can understand some action against Donald, head injuries can be very dangerous, ask Pothier. I think 5 games is a bit much but remember that the Rangers have a bigger market than the Caps, you *know* that the NHL is aware of this. I think there should have been some sort of action on Orr for his foul on Semin but Semin wasn't injured and fines aren't announced so who knows. Same thing with Avery's low rent hit on Jurcina. Jeeze these Rangers whine a lot!

Posted by: coryvreckan | April 27, 2009 6:40 PM | Report abuse

Also, on the whole biting incident... Where do they come up with this crap? Did we whine or make stuff up after we lost? No and we had plenty of reasons.

I had no negative feelings towards the Rags prior to this series, but the garbage they've been pulling along with their completely idiotic fans (including one who is... or was one of my best friends) has been insufferable.

Every time they lose it's whine, whine, and whine some more. Unbelievable!

I guess they have to talk about something other than the fact that their team... and I'm gonna quote 2 of my Bruins friends... "can't hold a candle to the Caps" and "looked like a JV squad vs. an NHL team in game 6".

Posted by: ranndino | April 27, 2009 6:41 PM | Report abuse

The NHL sent a very powerful message today - if you are going to play dirty, you better make sure no one gets hurt.

Posted by: VTDuffman | April 27, 2009 6:45 PM | Report abuse

Brash deserves what he got....head shots are cheap shots...way worse that spraying water...fortunately we do not need him to be successful in the playoffs or next year
bye Donald your time has come

Posted by: wendel2 | April 27, 2009 6:45 PM | Report abuse

@ coryvreckan

Suspending someone 5 games in the playoffs is = to suspending someone for 20 games in the regular season.

For example, Chris Pronger, a repeat, repeat, repeat offender has never been suspended for that many playoff games.

Brashear's hit was a tad late, but a shoulder check to a player who was much shorter than him and crouched. I feel sorry for Betts getting hurt, but it was not really an illegal hit.

It sucks that the NHL based its suspension on how badly Betts was hurt rather than on what actually happened.

For example, the only difference between this hit and Kunitz's blind side annihilation of the Flyers D Timonen was that whike Betts got hurt Timonen got right up and continued to play (so much for a wussy Euro). Kunitz didn't get a penalty or suspension of any kind and was praised for a great hit by most pundits.

Posted by: ranndino | April 27, 2009 6:46 PM | Report abuse

I think the suspension is about right. I realize it's the playoffs, but that seemed pretty late to me, and I think the type of player Brashear is factored into it. I do wonder though what the suspension would be if either a) Betts didn't have a fracture and was ok for tomorrow, or b) Brashear had been penalized during the game.

Posted by: admorguy | April 27, 2009 6:51 PM | Report abuse

JK and rf44:
it would seem that your stance is that brash intented to hurt betts (rf44 - you have stated that avery does not intent to injure) yet decline to acknowledge the dangerous plays of orr and avery. i would contend that brash did not intend to injure betts - but the byproduct of having to let the rangers know that they are not the only skaters on the ice willing to dish out a hit. brash have hit an unsuspecting betts which resulted in his orbital bone break (either his shoulder or the ice). you have stated multiple times that it is the result of the play and not the play itself. i do not have a problem with the suspension, but i do have a problem with the 'wait until someone gets hurt' attitude before taking any action. that attitude be yours and the nhl offices. i truly believe the blatant clothesline of semin (and lack of official response) lead directly to brash taking the first chance he had at a hard check on a ranger player. you've also indicated that brash new who he was hitting - if you recall brash had just been checked himself and skated directly toward the ranger player that had the puck - you are completely wrong on that point. if you are the hockey fans you say you are, then you would understand that the enforcer of a team is to let the opponent know - we are still out here. i feel bad for betts and hope he has a quick and complete recovery - but your assessment that we caps fans do know (or won't see) what we are talking about is absurd. i do agree that i would not like for that to happen to any of our players - h*ll - i wouldn't even want that to happen to a pen or flyer either.

Posted by: Capt_Kirk_in_AZ | April 27, 2009 7:00 PM | Report abuse

Noticed a reply to me on one of the previous posts... Replied there and reposting it here also.

@ Capt_Kirk_in_AZ

If I were wrong in yet another prediction (that Caps will win game 7) I will eat the fish dish during one of my video replies to Mike Wise. How's that?

BTW, as I've mentioned numerous times I don't hate any of the Caps players and I'm entitled to criticize performance of players who aren't playing well. It's easy for them to stop getting criticized by me. They just need to perform at a good level. For example, when Theo had a good stretch I gave him credit. Like I said, I do not have any agenda and simply evaluate as objectively as I can based on having watched hockey for 20 years.

As a Caps fan you should be happy that I'm predicting us winning game 7 since I've been right every time so far (about replacing Theo with Varly and us coming back from 1-3 down).

Plus, at this point I don't even wanna argue with Caps fans. I've had enough of arguing with a boatload of completely irrational Rags fans.

Posted by: ranndino | April 27, 2009 7:03 PM | Report abuse

The NHL has always had differential suspensions. Ask Fedorov. When Chara was playing for the Islanders and Fedorov for the Wings there was a game ten years ago in which the officials turned a blind eye toward the former mugging the latter all afternoon long. Finally Sergei had had enough of it and from a prone position on the ice whacked Chara upside the head with his stick. Brian Burke who is and was a real (fill in your favorite expletive used as a noun) had Campbell's present position at that time and levied a five game suspension on Fedorov. It was absurd. Nothing the NHL does with regard to suspensions has ever surprised me after that. Remember also that it was Burke who traded Fedorov from the Mighty Ducks to Columbus when he became the GM of the Anaheim franchise so I guess Cap fans should be happy for their animosity. It's funny how things work out isn't it?

Posted by: dwollkind | April 27, 2009 7:06 PM | Report abuse

Normally when I write full articles for Bleacher Report I'm far less abrasive than I can be when I just post comments, but this time I was a bit angry after reading posts by Rangers fans all over the internet, so this one was clearly meant to get under their skin, to say the least.

Hope you enjoy it. Feel free to vote in the poll or make comments.

Posted by: ranndino | April 27, 2009 7:07 PM | Report abuse

This suspension is clearly based on injury. It's a shame. 1-2 games, but 6? What a joke.

Brash is a liability more on the ice anyway, so it is a blessing in disguise.

Posted by: richmondphil | April 27, 2009 7:10 PM | Report abuse

I'm fine with the Brashear suspension (the NHL needs to crackdown on these cheap hits, esp to the head), as long as Avery gets punished for his cheap hits also.

Unfortunately for Betts, he may have paid the price for Avery's sins.

Posted by: Cerealman | April 27, 2009 7:11 PM | Report abuse

Note: Colton Orr got a 5-game suspension a couple years ago when he came off the bench (after Brash had been ejected for sucker-punching Ward) and skated directly over and cross-checked Ovechkin across the face.

I thought that was the right call too.

Posted by: Cerealman | April 27, 2009 7:13 PM | Report abuse

Now that Brash is suspended, will Clark be back? The doctors were thinking Clark would be ready for this round and, so far, we haven't seen him. If Clark's able to go, I would put him back in, probably on the 4th line. At least, he can add grit and be an enforcer, if needed.

Brash probably deserved a suspension but I would have assumed a 1 or 2 game suspension, not 6 games. That seems to be overkill. Frankly, some of the Rangers guys deserve a suspension as much as Brash.

It's amazing how much the Rangers keep whining about how dirty our guys are, yet they are the ones who keep getting game misconduct penalties; Avery, Orr, Dubinsky. While we have our one token enforcer; i.e. Brash. (They seem to have goons in reserve.)

It seemed like we were fine for the end of the season sans Brash. Frankly, I think it's the end of the line for Brash with the Caps and I was saying this before the playoffs.

Posted by: CapsFan75 | April 27, 2009 7:17 PM | Report abuse

@rantndino :)
ok - fish it is
maybe i'm overly sensitive - but the caps obviously have players with a wide range of skills - at times it irks me to see our players bashed when they have a poor game. i tend to think of sports in the terms that the oppenent is trying to 'make you look bad'. not every player will have their A game 82 times a year. you are entitled to have and express your opinion here and anywhere you would like. i have (had) been a theo backer since the ranger game meltdown in dec - as his stats from that point got him to mediocre - i'm glad BB brought in valry (yes - you were right) for game two and hope that it was not one game too late.
60 minutes of focused hockey and i like the caps chances.

Posted by: Capt_Kirk_in_AZ | April 27, 2009 7:17 PM | Report abuse

Brash, If you are reading this I thought it was an AWESOME hit. Don't let it get you down. Your intensity is a bit part of the Caps success. Please Please keep playing for the Caps!

Posted by: 08Obama08 | April 27, 2009 7:23 PM | Report abuse

Oh, this is so unfair! if this nation can approve of "legalized torture", why can't they just overlook a few friendly bites. After all, all that matters is WINNING. Honorable sportsmanship went out with the last winning puck in the net, didn't it.

Posted by: cms1 | April 27, 2009 7:26 PM | Report abuse

Way to much "rabble, rabble, rabble" posts in here. Someone's favorite egoist is here.

Posted by: richmondphil | April 27, 2009 7:27 PM | Report abuse

I must have missed something then in the Chicago - Calgary series where it's sheer lawlessness on ice.

Hopefully Caps finish up like last game so they can spend the third helping Avery off the ice.

Posted by: tslats | April 27, 2009 7:30 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: _828 | April 27, 2009 6:02 PM |

And everything that needs to be said is said in the second post. League looking like a joke again by basing suspensions off injury.

Rags lose their best killer and faceoff man? Too bad, blame it on the constant runs via Avery and Orr.

Posted by: richmondphil | April 27, 2009 7:30 PM | Report abuse

I think I saw the hit that got Brashear suspended. It didn't look anywhere near as bad as what happened to Semin, but the guy was hurt pretty bad so that should be discouraged. But I don't understand what is inherently wrong with a blindside hit. I thought that was why you were supposed to "keep your head up". Bring up Perault.

Posted by: rjma1 | April 27, 2009 7:50 PM | Report abuse

wow, i'm a legend on here, lol

hey, i'm just playing with you guys and no, i would never call espn and do that...I'd call and say ovie was suspended

a lot of people are upset because they believe that the league should not wait until a player is injured before doling out discipline but that is a very slippery slope. Would you really trust the league to make a subjective determination of what a player's intention was on a play? Where is the line between "playing the game hard" and intending to injure? You think you hate the league offices now, just you wait.

Look, if it was Green who did that yesterday, I might believe a little more that it was an accident or whatever, but Brashear has a role, same as Orr. Most of the time, all that stuff is sorted out on the ice. I have no problem if the Caps take exception to Orr targeting their skill guys in Game 5 and send Brashear out there. I also have no problem if Orr hurts a guy with a dirty hit if the league sits him down. Nothing Orr or Avery have done warrants suspensions...did they warrant penalties and 10 minute misconducts? no question. When you hit a guy who is defenseless, from an angle in which he can't see you, up high, with probably an elbow but maybe a shoulder, when he has given up the puck and is moving off the ice for a line change and because of that hit, he breaks his orbital bone, you're going to be suspended.

Look, in 92, Adam Graves gives a little slash to Lemieux as Lemieux is breaking down the ice and fractures a bone in his hand. Graves has to sit for 3 games. Rangers fans were upset because we knew that without the broken bone, there's no suspension, but you have to suffer the consequences of your actions. Now remember, the nhl of 2009 is a little different than 1992 so 5 games for a goon is a gift compared to 3 games for your best goal scorer during the dirty days of the nhl.

Posted by: JK111 | April 27, 2009 7:58 PM | Report abuse

08Obama08, I second that!

Posted by: capsfan01 | April 27, 2009 7:59 PM | Report abuse

Suspension = a bit heavy-handed. Good news for the Caps, ref's will call the game very close tomorrow with a tip in favor of the Caps. Avery better behave, or they will throw the book at him. Go Caps!

Posted by: washingtonpost31 | April 27, 2009 8:14 PM | Report abuse

JK111:
so i guess your stance is still that orr and avery are "playing the game hard" and brash was intending to injure. can you honestly say that the icing play with avery and jurcina was playing the game hard by avery. go back and watch the replay - avery attempts to use his forearm, up high, as he can't make a check. as he turns around he brings his right arm (and stick) up high and extends his arm. it is obvious that he can not be sure he will even make contact with jurcina - but the intent is to hit him high (about the head) with either his backhand or the butt of the stick. if you deny this then you are just a bias rags fan. orr actualy grabbed semin as he went across the ice and could have just as easily landed on his head (much like betts) and been hurt. if the league officials can't even give a verbal warning to this type of dangerous play - then you will get your brashes laying out hits like he did. i'm not happy the betts got hurt and not disappointed that brash got a suspension. if your opinion is that brash intended to break his orbital bone - then you should just go back to the rag blogs/posts and keep your infinite hockey knowledge where more sophisticated fans can appreciate it.

Posted by: Capt_Kirk_in_AZ | April 27, 2009 8:14 PM | Report abuse

Frankly, we can do without Brashear and the rest of the goons in the NHL. As a 20+ years Caps fan, I have to say that I am embarrassed to have Dale Hunter's jersey hanging in Verizon. He was a good, fiery player, and somewhat skilled, but he was mostly dirty. What he did to Pierre Turgeon of the Islanders was inexcusable, and he did a similar thing to Craig Janney of the Bruins about a year before, fortunately without seriously injuring him. We are a better team without Brashear, just as the Rangers are better off without Avery.

LET'S GO CAPS!

Posted by: chevychase10 | April 27, 2009 8:14 PM | Report abuse

I live on Long Island and I'm rooting for the Caps.

The Rangers announcers are the worst. They rave about Avery's every move and once the table is turn on the Ranger players, they cry foul.

Sean Avery should have been suspended for belting one of the Caps in the face, and he also sucker punched the rookie goalie.

Why haven't the NHL addressed Avery's actions towards the Caps?

It almost seems like most of the calls are going against the Caps? I guess the NHL would rather see a NY team in the playoffs rather than Ovechkin and his Caps?

Let's Go CAPS!!

-NY Islanders

Posted by: reggiesaintil61 | April 27, 2009 8:16 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: 08Obama08 | April 27, 2009 7:23 PM

Brash is important part of this team. I think they are upset. I like him a lot.

Posted by: Randolph2 | April 27, 2009 8:32 PM | Report abuse

By not severely penalizing players for these types of actions is simply the NHL's answer to equalizing sub par players when they come up against skilled team players.

How else can you defend the ability to make money off the playoffs that include practically an entire league. The only way most of these thugs can keep up with speedy skilled players like an Ovechkin, a Hull or a Lemieux, is to hook and then hold on for dear life until the officials have to call a penalty.

The NHL can't figure out that it would make the game more exciting to see skilled players racing up and down the ice with deft puck handling and pinpoint passes.

Could you guess why soccer hasn't caught on in the United States. It's become a boring scoreless game until someone causes a penalty kick right in front of the net to win.

Posted by: helloisanyoneoutthere | April 27, 2009 8:44 PM | Report abuse

Kirk, the difference between the hits is the outcome. Yes, my stance is that i'm not going to inject my subjective opinion, as a rangers fan, into what i believe each player means to do. Was Avery's penalty deserved? Yes. Do I wish he didn't do it? Yes But you're comparing apples and oranges. This series has been chippy on both sides, Poti took a viscious wack at Zherdov's foot in Game 2 that could have broken his foot. Every Cap has basically taken turns crosschecking Avery...you all miss the fact that Avery's penalties, with the exception of the icing with Jurcina have been retaliatory. He ended up in the crease with Varly in Game 3 because of a nasty cross check from Erskine. I'm not justifying Avery's action because he should just skate away and do what he does best, which is draw penalties but this idea that the Capitals are angels who were provoked is just silly. There have been dirty hits all over the place in this series.

I also don't want to hear that Betts' injury is the fault of anyone but Brashear. Not Orr, not Avery, not anyone on the caps. Brashear made the decision to plow him up high without Betts seeing it coming. If Orr did that to anyone on the caps, you would hear me just as vociferously attacking Orr (maybe i'd be saying it on the Rangers boards to anyone defending him there) and every single person on this board would be outraged at the hit. Just because you're a fan doesn't mean your morals and values should change. Someone got their face broken in yesterday's game, even if he's not on your team, he's still a human being.

Posted by: JK111 | April 27, 2009 8:52 PM | Report abuse

I've got nothing against hockey fights or hockey hardmen. But there are clean, honest hardmen and there are dirty, sneaky ones, and Brashear has always belonged in the second category.
I well remember Brashear from Vancouver, and the hit on Betts was classic Brashear.

Posted by: kevrobb | April 27, 2009 9:28 PM | Report abuse

Ranndine calls the hit "a tad late". If it had been any later, it would have been in Game 7.

Posted by: kevrobb | April 27, 2009 9:34 PM | Report abuse

Wheres an Avery Suspension for all his crap. 6 games is a joke for a hit. This is hockey Brasher gets 6 and every just gets benched is not enough. NHL once again whiffs on this one

Posted by: cjdwolfpack | April 27, 2009 9:37 PM | Report abuse

Hey Tarik,

Can we appeal the suspension? At best it's a three gamer.

Posted by: DCSPORTSFANATIC | April 27, 2009 9:47 PM | Report abuse

Six games is far too much in this case. There is no question that the 'new' NHL has it out for enforcers. Now I know how Flyers fans feel; not that I'm one of them (far from it) but I feel their pain as it seems like the NHL is out to get them too.

I don't believe there is a NY media bias here; if anything, the NHL is salivating at an Ovechkin/Crosby matchup down the line. However, it does concern me that Colton Orr is still around, even if the b@stard started talking trash with Brash before the little dustup at center ice. And, what was that? Gimme a break! Anybody remember Game 7 of the Caps/Flyers in 1988 and Hack-stall's bravado?

My fear is that the Caps are cruising along 4-1 in the 3rd and Torts/Schoeny send out Orr to head hunt, including Ovie. Not that Ovie can't take care of himiself, but an errant slew-foot could make for a very bad day.

Agree with those who say bring back Clark.

Posted by: wxdancer | April 27, 2009 9:56 PM | Report abuse

Did anyone else notice that when this story first broke under the byline of Lindsay Applebaum at 3:57 p.m., the photo attached was not Brashear but actually Georges Laraque? Nice work, Post -- way to prove that you are the biggest bandwagoners on the planet. I won't even go into the other implications.

Posted by: LucilleB | April 27, 2009 10:00 PM | Report abuse

can someone call hooters magazine and tell them i am new billionaire who enjoys hooters food and nice company?

Posted by: am_jim | April 27, 2009 10:21 PM | Report abuse

I think it was overkill for the hit. One game would've been enough.

As much as I like him though, I don't think his absence will have much of an effect. I'd rather have a scrappy player with some offensive ability who isn't a goon who takes bad penalties.

Posted by: sasha_206 | April 27, 2009 10:43 PM | Report abuse

If anyone here likes hockey goonery, I recommend you track down the CBC documentary on goons. It includes a minor league guy (OHL maybe?) going for the all-time record penalty minutes in a season.

If I remember rightly, about four-fifths of the way through the season, he breaks a knuckle. I forget what happens next but it was great TV.

Posted by: kevrobb | April 27, 2009 10:54 PM | Report abuse

the suspension is excessive, but in this case I think the NHL knows what it is doing. They realize that game 7 could be extremely combustible and they are trying to put the clamp down on any actions that could lead to serious injury.

If Brashear's actions garnered six games, now imagine what a Rangers cheap hit with the Caps up 4-0 would result in. At first I was stunned, but given the tenor of the series, and with the braintrust of Tortorella and supporting actors like Avery involved, this is a very smart move.

Posted by: diego_r | April 27, 2009 11:21 PM | Report abuse

I also think this game will be very tightly called.

No need to rush if you are the Caps, be patient and don't make any mistakes. If the Caps score first I believe the Rangers will implode and the series will be over.

Posted by: diego_r | April 27, 2009 11:24 PM | Report abuse

So I guess the first five games of next season will round out Brash's penalty.

Go Rangers!

Posted by: samellison | April 27, 2009 11:53 PM | Report abuse

Too many seem surprised by Brash's suspension and shouldn't be. I think it's an extremely harsh sentence but like most things "political", there is no surprise in it what so ever. Let's accept it for what it is, acknowledge that Brash was most likely doing what he felt he needed to for his teammates, and get on with the game. I, for one, am chomping at the bit to watch our boys inflict one final whooping on the Rags to end this garbage. At the same time, I do feel for Betts and am sorry for what he is dealing with. I respect him as a competitor and wish him well.

Posted by: gonchpup | April 28, 2009 12:10 AM | Report abuse

Folks not going to the game, come on out to Bungalow Billiards in Chantilly VA and join the red in rooting on our boys in game 7. Wear your jersey!!

Posted by: bhound69 | April 28, 2009 12:14 AM | Report abuse

World Wide Leader, my tuckus...

Posted by: MikeL-Caps91 | April 28, 2009 9:19 AM | Report abuse