Updates on Fehr, Boumedienne

While I was in Hershey for last night's blowout loss, I asked around about prospect Eric Fehr, who hasn't played or practiced at full speed since going down with what was thought to be an injured back in February.

Well, turns out it's not his back. It's his hip and it hasn't responded well to treatment. He's scheduled to see a specialist in Seattle next week. Stay tuned.

Also, according to a Finnish newspaper (thanks to japersrink and onfrozenblog for pointing me to this), former Caps defenseman Josef Boumedienne has signed up for a second stint in Washington. I'll wait for official word before commenting more on this. Getting confirmation may be difficult with GM George McPhee in T.O. for the draft combine. I'm going to try to get him on the phone today or tomorrow for the Bears story I'm working on for Monday's paper.

By Tarik El-Bashir  |  June 2, 2007; 11:04 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Caps Sign Goalie Neuvirth
Next: Pronger Suspended for Game 4

Comments

Tariq,
That's lousy news about Fehr, but at least we know the real deal behind the injury - thanks for the update. I sincerely hope he gets better fast, he's the type of player the Caps need to have healthy.

The Coumeddienne coming back for another season - with McPhee - that's not surprising. The more things change, the more they stay around Capsland.

For shame.

Posted by: Northern Dancer | June 2, 2007 12:05 PM | Report abuse

Coulda, woulda, shoulda....Getzlaf would look real good in a Caps jersey.

Posted by: zednik27 | June 2, 2007 6:33 PM | Report abuse

What a lousy performance by Hershey last night. We came up from Frederick, and between the thunderstorm, the game delay, and miserable playing by the Bears, it was a poor experience. Hopefully they'll get their act together tonight, and the rest of the series.

Posted by: kenhockey | June 2, 2007 9:09 PM | Report abuse

Bears win!! 4-2

Posted by: :) | June 2, 2007 10:00 PM | Report abuse

Actually, the Boumedienne move would be a stroke of genius. They need someone to help acclimate Backstrom and they don't have any swedish vets. Boumedienne will probably be the seventh defensemen and be scratched most of the time. But he'll be valuable behind the seasons as Backstrom gets use to a new culture, language, etc. Good move McPhee

Posted by: Jim | June 3, 2007 10:24 AM | Report abuse

That should be behind the scenes. I forgot to add that Bou has been here before. All of which adds to his ability to help with Backstrom.

Posted by: Jim | June 3, 2007 10:25 AM | Report abuse

I think it is hard to determine how much or for that matter, how little Boumedienne will play. He has been gone for three years and may be a better player. What is he now, 27, 28? That is a time when many Defensemen really impove. That said, he wasn't playing in the NHL, so who really knows.

Unless he has really turned into a slug, he will get an opportunity. The long season, poor or inconsistent play by others, power play deficiencies and injuries will just about insure it.

I'm hoping for Hannan.

Posted by: Old Bob | June 3, 2007 11:44 AM | Report abuse

I'm with Old Bob.. looks like Hannan is the best D available this summer.

Oneal

Posted by: Oneal | June 3, 2007 10:47 PM | Report abuse

Good move by GM. Aside from helping Backstrom adjust, I recall Boumedienne was above average as a PP specialist, particularly at being able to take a one-timer and get it on net. No he is not Gonchar or Souray on the PP, but the bottom line is that the Caps need a fierce defensive defenseman, a quality center, a PP quarterback and probably a veteran scoring RW. They cannot get all of those in one summer. By getting Boumedienne to fill in the PP point man slot, they can focus more on getting a top-flight defensive defenseman who can play a lot of minutes and the other needs. In addition, this gives Mike Green another year to develop into the PP pointman role slowly, and to see if he can handle it. Finally, it gets Semin off the PP point next to Ovechkin. I thought AO and AS were too close together on the PP and made it too easy to defend. Now they can move AO or AS into the slot on the PP, or move AS over to the other point.

Posted by: Monty | June 4, 2007 10:59 AM | Report abuse

Boumer's contract is a one-way deal worth about $500k.

Posted by: Ferris | June 4, 2007 12:26 PM | Report abuse

Hmmmm $500K one year deal sounds about right for a PP specialst...BWAAAAAHAAAAAA!

Monty must be a hockey know it all...he's got it all figured out.

Posted by: Hotdoggy | June 4, 2007 3:14 PM | Report abuse

If, and I do say, "If," the main reason for signing Boumedienne is for him to baby sit Backstrom, then IMHO, that's ridiculous, and certainly not the way to build a championship calibre team.
For starters, the kid's parents are supposedly going to be with him for the first couple of months ( Or so ) of the season. Secondly, he'll have 20 + team mates to help him along as well. And, lets not forget management. They'll most assuredly not leave a stone unturned as far as assisting him is concerned.
I'm a firm believer that roster spots be determined by one's performance on the ice. Certainly, not by any such lame excuse as what's being offered as justification for Boumer making the team.
Quite frankly, that kind of thinking is nothing less than A LOSER'S MENTALITY. Sad, it's for just that reason, I'm prone to believe there's plenty of fire where this smoke is coming from. GMGM has made virtually every wrong move in the book, thusfar. Why should I believe that he'll suddenly change course at this late date?

Posted by: Puckguru | June 4, 2007 7:07 PM | Report abuse

Quite frankly, that kind of thinking is nothing less than A LOSER'S MENTALITY. Sadly, it's for just that reason, I'm prone to believe there's plenty of fire where this smoke is coming from. GMGM has made virtually every wrong move in the book, thusfar. Why should I believe that he'll suddenly change course at this late date?

Posted by: Puckguru | June 4, 2007 7:07 PM | Report abuse

And what of Pothier? He ( And his 2.5 mil / year contract )was hailed as the answer to the PP problems. REMEMBER? The way they built him up, you'd have thought he was going to be the 2nd. coming of Bobby orr. Yea, right. He was hailed as "The rock of the defense3. The one who was qualified to play 30 minutes a game. We all saw how long THAT lasted. Just another in an endless stream of GMGM gaffes. He and his so - called "Scouting dept." are the jokes of the entire league. What I'll never understand, is why Leonsis has been willing to give the guy a pass, year, after lousy year, after lousy year. Oh, yeah. I forgot. They're "Rebuilding." Hahaha. I ask, "Rebuilding from WHAT?" The Chicago Bulls are rebuilding. They can legitimately make that claim. THEY WON 5 or 6 championships!! What have the Caps EVER WON? I'm talking about in their entire sorry history. Ron Wilson took them to the Finals ( That's the team that GMGM inherited )where they were summarily SWEPT. That's it! If you want to call that "Success," be my guest. In 33 years they've won a grand total of Z E R O Stanley Cup Finals games. But, heck, most years they lost in the very first round, right. So, I guess I should be "Grateful" that they made it far enough to have a doughnut pasted on them, huh? People, PLEASE!! .
My bottom line is, they'll not get another single, solitary cent of my money, until I'm convinced that there's someone at the controls who at least can tell the difference between a hockey player and a tree. And, in my opinion, GMGM has done nothing to convince me that he's that man. Period! End of story....

Posted by: Puckguru | June 4, 2007 7:31 PM | Report abuse