Updates on Green, Schultz and Morrisonn

Mike Green suffered an upper-body injury in the first period and did not return. He told me on the way to the team bus that he hopes to play Saturday, but won't know whether he'll be able to until tomorrow morning.

Jeff Schultz sustained a lower-body injury in the second period and also did not return. He was spotted limping out of the visitors' dressing room here at BankAtlantic Center, and his status for Saturday is also unclear.

Finally, Coach Bruce Boudreau was concerned that defenseman Shaone Morrisonn might face a suspension for boarding Kenndal McArdle late in the third period. Morrisonn received five minutes and a game misconduct, but Boudreau revealed that Morrisonn was put on probation at the end of last season and couldn't receive a major penalty in the Capitals' first 15 or 20 games. Boudreau couldn't remember which it was, but obviously that will be key. Morrisonn said he was not aware of the situation.

I'll have a little more later.

By Tarik El-Bashir  |  November 6, 2009; 10:32 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Schultz injured, too
Next: Caps 4, Panthers 1

Comments

You *might* want to tell a player that he is on probation and faces suspension if he commits a major penalty.

Just a thought...

Posted by: CapsChick | November 6, 2009 10:46 PM | Report abuse

Morrisonn should be gone for a game. That was just uncalled for, especially when your team is leading that late in the period.

Overall pretty good game. I am happy with the PK(even thought 5 mins sucked), sloan is a bargain, and I look forward to seeing floridas answer tom.

Posted by: trunkenmath | November 6, 2009 10:47 PM | Report abuse

@CapsFan75 - From last thread. Re: McCreary - I can't stand that jerk. He is one of the hardest referees when on the ice with the Caps that the NHLOA has to offer. I KNEW not seeing him for October was too good to be true. :-p

Still, apart from overcalling that boarding, looks like he was letting them play?

Posted by: irockthered | November 6, 2009 10:47 PM | Report abuse

Double secret probation?

Posted by: lornemyoung | November 6, 2009 10:49 PM | Report abuse

I know this is off the subject but I can't believe Cam Neely is in the hall of fame...

I was looking at the espn piece on next year's HOF voting and if Neely is in then Eric Lindros should be in... I didn't think Lindros was HOF worthy but he was better and played longer than Neely

I think their standard is too low, certainly much lower than baseball HOF

Posted by: joek443 | November 6, 2009 10:51 PM | Report abuse

@trunkenmath - It did not look like your usual hit-from-behind boarding major to me. Just looked awkward. I think McCreary called it too hard. He usually does, when he's calling a game and the Caps are involved. In fact, I am amazed that the Caps did not have to face a 2:1 penalty kill ratio, as they did in almost every game McCreary called for them last year. Oh - and he called the Penguins really light during the playoffs, too. They went 8-1 when he was on the ice, W-L... should'a called him for "too many men on the ice" and sent his zebra butt off to the sin bin!

Posted by: irockthered | November 6, 2009 10:52 PM | Report abuse

Another nice assist from Perrault. With all the sudden injuries, he may get to stay a while.

Posted by: rjma1 | November 6, 2009 10:55 PM | Report abuse

It looked like he felt like hitting somebody, and rolled over to get some action. It was weird, but still dirty.

Posted by: trunkenmath | November 6, 2009 10:56 PM | Report abuse

Did McCreary ref the Pens-Wings game in the SC finals last year when the Pens were not called for an extra man on the ice that lasted for about a minute? That was one of those situations that really made me wonder.

Posted by: zmega | November 6, 2009 11:06 PM | Report abuse

I'm just gonna go ahead and say it... I officially have a full-on woody for Mathieu Perreault. the kid has shown me a LOT of good stuff, and I hope to see him get a lot more time w/ the big squad.

Posted by: sargeantmofo | November 6, 2009 11:07 PM | Report abuse

McCreary, Kerry Fraser... they're all fossils

they should follow Don "have another donut" Koharski and retire

Posted by: joek443 | November 6, 2009 11:10 PM | Report abuse

I'm sorry I have to respond to peabody2 stating that rblatch obviously knows more about hockey then me. I obviously have no idea what everyone else's exposure to hockey has been but mine started back in 1972 cheering for the Blackhawks and Cougars (WHA) in Chicago when I was 6. That turned into years of travel youth hockey and now into coaching at the Midget travel and High School level. Am I an expert, heck no, but I know the game.

Peabody2 also threw his/her season tickets in my grill stating that if I saw Green play live I would see his glaring mistakes. I'm a STH too bud, and not just blowing smoke, if anyone needs a voucher as tominfl he checked out a game from my seats when he was in town.

It just get difficult to read bogus info put out by "fans." Fans like sinkingship who stated Green's numbers went down after he signed the big contract. Um, he signed the big contract PRIOR to last season. He signed it the summer of 2008. http://www.csnwashington.com/pages/landing?Capitals-Sign-Defenseman-Mike-Green-To-F=1&blockID=9439&tagID=59

Posted by: fanohock1 | November 6, 2009 11:12 PM | Report abuse

@sargeantmofo

Don't worry. Perrault is up for a while. None of our injured look like they'll be back anytime soon.

And sorry to harp on the same subject over again but someone (BG) should go on LTIR so we can call someone up to play forward. The Caps are the greatest procrastinators when it comes to putting people on LTIR.

So much for having more defensemen than we know what to do with. 2 down with injuries (and iffy for tomorrow). And one possibly suspended.

Posted by: CapsFan75 | November 6, 2009 11:23 PM | Report abuse

@joek, interesting complaint given that the four + 1 going in to the HHOF tomorrow are all super worthy. #3 all time goals, best LW ever (so far), a long serving centerman and a multiple Norris winner. Hard to complain.

Posted by: oldtimehockey | November 6, 2009 11:27 PM | Report abuse

@trunkenmath

We don't have the luxury of making Morrisonn a healthy scratch. We don't even have enough healthy players to dress a full team. 11 forwards and 6 d-men, including Morrisonn and that's assuming Green and Schultz can't go.

(Well, if Ovi goes on LTIR, then we can call all the people from Hershey we want and not have to worry about cap space. I personally think Ovi will be back before it's LTIR time but you never know.)

Posted by: CapsFan75 | November 6, 2009 11:28 PM | Report abuse

Oh well..the penguins sucked all of 5 months of the season last year...never forget...NEVER FORGET...champions suck 65% of the year..

Posted by: SA-Town | November 6, 2009 11:28 PM | Report abuse

@ oldtimehockey

the ones going in tomorrow are all HOF worthy but Cam Neely.. are they kidding??

he was a great player and a dominant player... if he played about 1000 games and I wouldn't have ANY problem him being in but he only played 726 games.. that's just NOT enough games

Terrell Davis is NEVER gonna go in the football HOF even though he was just as dominant in football as Neely was in hockey.. Davis only played 8 years due to injuries

only players like Sandy Koufax, Jim Brown, Bobby Orr and Mario Lemieux deserve that kinda honor IMO.. Neely doesn't belong in that group

Posted by: joek443 | November 6, 2009 11:33 PM | Report abuse

Will Ovi be back Wednesday? If so, the expected new lines:

Line 1: Ovi/Backstrom/Flash
Line 2: Laich/Morrison/Knuble
Line 3: Semin/Perrault/Fehr
Line 4: Bradley/Steckel/Laing

Posted by: CapsFan75 | November 7, 2009 12:02 AM | Report abuse

Did anyone see Shultz' Howitzer....oh wait that was just his NHL shot...

Posted by: Wagnerchristopher | November 7, 2009 12:08 AM | Report abuse

Wagnerchristopher:
that shot was so funny, i had to rewind and watch it again in slo-mo

Posted by: Capt_Kirk_in_AZ | November 7, 2009 12:19 AM | Report abuse

Green's BEST game all year! 4 shifts and no turnovers! And hey, look at that...the caps put together a nice win...

Posted by: SinkingCaps | November 7, 2009 8:52 AM | Report abuse

once you start feeling good after a player on the team that you supposedly cheer for gets hurt, you had better think about cheering for another team

Posted by: joek443 | November 7, 2009 8:58 AM | Report abuse

or maybe your life is so pathetic that you rejoice in the misfortune of others

Posted by: joek443 | November 7, 2009 9:00 AM | Report abuse

I would not tell a player he is on probation. Might make him timid and not want to hit at all.

As far as the hit is concerned, If you look at the replay his eyes were on the puck the whole time and the player he hit was coming down and then turned. It still deserved a 5 minute but I do not think it was one of them "classic" hit from behinds.

Posted by: Capsfannmiss | November 7, 2009 9:34 AM | Report abuse

Maybe they should dress Nylander for tonights game. Looks like he is back from Grand Rapids and on the roster again. May be his chance to help this team and make a go of it.

Posted by: kjohnskipc | November 7, 2009 10:43 AM | Report abuse