Updates on Huet and Green (Updated)

I'm sure by now you've read the update on Brooks Laich. If you haven't check it out here.

I'm still in the process of gathering info on the status of the Caps' other pending free agents. But I thought I would share what I know as of right now:

According to league sources, Cristobal Huet and Mike Green remain the Caps' top priorities and the consensus is that both will be in Washington next season.

Huet and the Caps, in fact, aren't that far apart, I'm told. But, as you know, a deal isn't a deal until it's signed. If one is struck, look for it to be three-years, as previously reported, in the neighborhood of $5 million per. That's a lot of money, but the Caps are comfortable with Huet and vice versa.

Green, meantime, has been presented with multiple scenarios, including both long and short-term offers, and his camp is mulling them. The sides aren't all that close, but the talks are ongoing and remain friendly.

As far as the possibility of Green signing an offer sheet, General Manager George McPhee has said publicly that he would match it. That doesn't mean he won't get one, but the pool of teams with the draft picks and money to make such an offer is small (and shrinking).

Anyway, I'm expecting to hear from more people throughout the day and I'll pass along anything interesting.

Update:No signings to report. But I did forget to mention Sergei Fedorov's status earlier. The Caps are still very much interested in signing the 38-year-old forward, but some compromise will be needed to get a deal done, a source told me. It's believed that Fedorov is seeking around $4 million per year, which is about $2 million more than the Caps are comfortable offering. There could be some bonuses involved (one a year deal) in order to close some of the gap.

By Tarik El-Bashir  |  June 30, 2008; 1:11 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Laich's Agent: 'We're talking' (Updated)
Next: Pothier: 'For eight days I was in bed'

Comments

(from previous)
DevilsCapsGal,

I am confused - what is there to discuss? Ovechkin is the best hockey player in the world, but does not act like it. He is the face of the nhl and the core of the Washington Capitals. He does not take any shifts off and he is always trying to get better. Who would get upset with him being signed - besides the fans in Montreal.

Just because Alex got a paycheck... does not mean the rest of them deserve a paycheck.

Posted by: 828 | June 30, 2008 1:41 PM | Report abuse

Thanks Tarik, Do you get the feeling that one, if not both, of these guys will sign by the end of today?

Tarik,

I know the other guys are kind of on the back burner right now but have you heard anything about Feds and Mo? As the fan base we are most concerned about Huet and Green but while you have been calling around today have you heard anything about Federov and Mo?

Posted by: Phil9 | June 30, 2008 1:41 PM | Report abuse

Excuse me... Fedorov

Posted by: Phil9 | June 30, 2008 1:42 PM | Report abuse

What about Clark's groin? How are those negotiations doing?

Posted by: JSchon | June 30, 2008 1:42 PM | Report abuse

Tarik, do you think Fehr and Gordon will accept their QOs? I can't imagine either is looking for more money, but I guess either/both could want more years. Any word on them?

Posted by: Brad | June 30, 2008 1:45 PM | Report abuse

Sombrero Guy,

Scratch my first post - Sombrero explained the devil lady... Yes, we would all be freaking out if Ovechkin was not signed my now... talk about hell!

Posted by: 828 | June 30, 2008 1:45 PM | Report abuse

@828 -

I totally agree with your comments about Ovechkin - the only purpose of my comment was to point out how high our collective angst would be if Ovie's status was also as an RFA now...so we should be grateful that he was locked up so early as it is less stress on our collective psyche.

I was trying to be funny but I guess, as my husband regularly tells me, I shouldn't try as I'm just not...funny.

Posted by: DevilsCapsGal | June 30, 2008 1:48 PM | Report abuse

We'd better watch out for Fed-O-rov. He'll put it in his contract that if the fans on C.I. can't spell his name right, he'll walk.

Posted by: Greg S. | June 30, 2008 1:49 PM | Report abuse

Tarik -

How do you think the short-term versus long-term offers look for Green?

I'd imagine they're offering more average salary for the shorter term (say 3 years, $14 million) and less per year for the longer term (5 years, $20 million-ish?).

Posted by: Ben | June 30, 2008 1:49 PM | Report abuse

@828
I think that DCG was writing about how upset Caps fans would be if GMGM had not signed him to an extension and he was a RFA (or UFA?) this summer. We'd be sweating bullets and not just due to the humidity! Instead, we are worrying about Laich, Green, and Huet -- only the last of those three will make or break the season. No OV, no chance for a cup; no Huet, no chance for a Cup (sorry Johnson ain't a starter). Green is good, but not THAT important; Laich may prove to be good, but he may be a Pettinger, too. I'm glad that only one signing is truly critical. The others are important, but not critical, ne pas?

Posted by: JIM | June 30, 2008 1:52 PM | Report abuse

I hurt

Posted by: Clark's Groin | June 30, 2008 1:52 PM | Report abuse

I hurt worse than Clarkes groin

Posted by: Pothiers Head | June 30, 2008 1:53 PM | Report abuse

@JSchon

Clarks Groin is no where near signing to play next year. Talks are friendly at this point.

Posted by: Dr. Groin | June 30, 2008 1:53 PM | Report abuse

I will be on Leno tonight though

Posted by: Clark's Groin | June 30, 2008 1:55 PM | Report abuse

DevilsCapsGal,

No no, you were funny - I just didn't read it right. :) Although, the thought of Alex not being signed by now is not funny at all. However, if Alex was not signed by now, then Ted would not have received all of those season ticket renewals and purchases.

joke away DevilsCapsGal!!!

Posted by: 828 | June 30, 2008 1:55 PM | Report abuse

@828-

Thanks for your support! Now if I could only be funny to my husband.

Posted by: DevilsCapsGal | June 30, 2008 1:58 PM | Report abuse

All you got to do is watch his fav movies and start quoting them... well, the funny lines. That may work - he might get a lil chuckle from the effort as well!

Posted by: 828 | June 30, 2008 2:00 PM | Report abuse

@ Phil9 - Don't see how either will sign today. If Green and the Caps aren't close, it'll take more than a few hours to meet somewhere in the middle.

As for Huet, if you read Corey (sorry Tarik) you will know his agent said nothing's happening today.

Posted by: Jill | June 30, 2008 2:00 PM | Report abuse

Green, Huet, and Laich will be signed, Would love to see Cooke signed though. The moves he made in just a short time with the team was awesome.

Posted by: Super | June 30, 2008 2:04 PM | Report abuse

@Jill

Where is Corey located?

Posted by: Phil9 | June 30, 2008 2:12 PM | Report abuse

re-posting...

John Michael Liles got 4 years, 4.2 million per season from the Avs. Any one thinking Green will settle for 3.5 million should look at Lile's stats from the past 4 seasons. http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/players/stats?playerId=2283

Liles has been consistent, but Green has a higher ceiling.

Posted by: Sombrero Guy | June 30, 2008 2:13 PM | Report abuse

I totally agree with Tarik's assessment of the pool of options for the RFA's. There just isn't much cap room for most of these teams to work in. To come up with the draft pics to steal a Green away could really come back to haunt a GM.

With Calgary's recent signing of Langkow, Conroy, Nystrom, and McElhenny, they don't have a lot of room to work in.

TB picked up both Malone and Roberts (Roberts signed today for a year). Rangers are out of play as they need the money for JJ.

Philly doesn't have the pics or the cap room. Toronto needs their pics for rebuilding. Montreal doesn't have the cap space. Edmonton doesn't either, specially after picking up Visnevsky and his 7M a year.

Seems like a waste of time...

Posted by: Greg S. | June 30, 2008 2:32 PM | Report abuse

he only difference that I see (besides position) between Laich and Green is that Laich isn't a defensive liability. Why does everyone want to throw money at Green?

Posted by: thag | June 30, 2008 2:33 PM | Report abuse

@Clark's Groin & Pothier's Head-

Hey guys, don't forget about me.

Posted by: Pothier's Thumb | June 30, 2008 2:34 PM | Report abuse

@Phil9 - I wouldn't feel right about linking to Corey's blog here on Tarik's. Corey covers the Caps for the Times. I don't read it regularly, but saw a link to a post today about Huet and checked it out.

Posted by: Jill | June 30, 2008 2:37 PM | Report abuse

I wish I was still a Capital!

Posted by: Olie's 5 Hole | June 30, 2008 2:39 PM | Report abuse

And why am I always left out of the conversation?

Posted by: Nylander's shoulder | June 30, 2008 2:41 PM | Report abuse

point well taken, thag. are the Caps throwing money at Green for his defensive prowess, or because Green thinks he is a forward??? i don't think Green knows. exhibit 1: Green standing behind the net against Philly as a game winning goal is score. i always thought d-men were supposed to be positioned in FRONT of the net.

Posted by: doughless | June 30, 2008 2:43 PM | Report abuse

People get a little crazy calling Mike Green a defensive liability.. it's not like he's John Erskine or Milan Jurcina back there.

Posted by: Jordan | June 30, 2008 2:43 PM | Report abuse

because no one can talk to you. unlike me, you are like talking to a brick wall.

Posted by: Olie's 5 Hole | June 30, 2008 2:44 PM | Report abuse

pulled groin, bad shoulder...mere boo boos compared to me...

Posted by: zed's jugular | June 30, 2008 2:50 PM | Report abuse

Damn...I barely heard a negative word about Green all season long. Now that he's not rolling over for the Caps the naysayers are coming out and criticizing his play.

Maybe Mike is dragging out discussions because he's bored. If you saw Caps Cribs and the various interviews, etc. throught the seaosn then you know that he started playing hockey because he was bored...started playing guitar because he was bored...spends hours at home on Facebook because he's bored...was happy to get out and do the Segway tour of DC because he was bored...seriously, this is one bored dude. Dragging out negotiations can prevent boredom for a few days.

Once he's signed...Game Over.

Posted by: Jill | June 30, 2008 2:51 PM | Report abuse

I havn't been bored for years! So much action, until now :(

Posted by: Olie's 5 Hole | June 30, 2008 2:54 PM | Report abuse

Grumble, grumble, grumble....

Posted by: Gabby's Gut | June 30, 2008 2:55 PM | Report abuse

@Jill

I completely understand that. I like the information that Tarik gives so this is why I have never heard of Coreys. I have never had a need to search any where else.

Just another chance to thank TARIK for his great reporting.

Posted by: Phil9 | June 30, 2008 2:59 PM | Report abuse

That horrible smell is back again!

Posted by: Olie's 5 Hole | June 30, 2008 3:01 PM | Report abuse

Um ... is it safe to say that the suspense has pushed all of the aforementioned body parts right over the edge?!? Keep it together, people ... less than 24 hours to go! ;-)

Posted by: Boo! | June 30, 2008 3:04 PM | Report abuse

Huet will sign tonight. Green on Thursday.

Posted by: Greg S. | June 30, 2008 3:05 PM | Report abuse

The way I see it is that GMGM will always do the opposite of what he's claiming......for a few recent examples:

1) He led everyone to think we would take Cherepanov last year so that people would not trade up to get Alzner;

2) He made it sound like we would stand pat at last season's trade deadline...we didn't;

3) He publically made it sound as if the Caps were not thrilled at all by Gus' son, yet we moved up to get him; and,

4) He said that he'd match any qualifying offer, practicially "warning" rival GMs not to bother...............With this one, the way I take it is that the Caps will ONLY match a QO that is reasonable, and will take the picks if it doesn't make sense. If somone offers more than 5 million for Green, say goodbye. If Green signs for 5 million or more, then the Caps will likely have to mull over whether they want to keep Semin or Backstrom in 2 years time. Other salaries will come off the books by then, but it will be tight.......the Young Guns poster only has room for 3 of them long-term, and one of the will be Ovechkin for sure.

Posted by: Old Bob's Little Boy | June 30, 2008 3:05 PM | Report abuse

that prediction is based upon hard solid facts and planetary alignments.

Posted by: Greg S. | June 30, 2008 3:07 PM | Report abuse

@Jill

I was pretty quick to point out Green's mistakes earlier in the season.

I was seriously thinking Bruce was gonna elevate him to a forward at some point and give him a test run. :)

He's playing with a lot of heart and that goes a long way but the thing he does best in the defensive zone right now is start his breakaway.

Posted by: keef | June 30, 2008 3:07 PM | Report abuse

old bob has hit the nail on the head with point #4. what to do: sign Huet!

Posted by: doughless | June 30, 2008 3:09 PM | Report abuse

@Super
"Would love to see Cooke signed though. The moves he made in just a short time with the team was awesome"

Agreed. I really liked what Fedorov brought to this team, but I feel the same about Cooke and while he doesnt have Feds' skill - he's a lot younger, not to mention he'd most likely be more affordable.

Posted by: captnclark | June 30, 2008 3:12 PM | Report abuse

@Jill
wrong... everybody was enthusiastic about Green because, out of the blue, he was scoring and creating chances. All of a sudden we had a D-man with great skating abilities. Nobody is going to complaining about that.

What I am very skeptical about is the fact that he seems to think that he belongs to the Lidstrom league, thus deserving 5-6-7M / year.

I would not pay him that kind of money to repeat the season he had. Yes, I would pay him that much to be a top D-man, especially in the playoffs. However... can we honestly say he showed the potential to be a top-D?

Poor dead horse haha :D

Posted by: mauree | June 30, 2008 3:12 PM | Report abuse

"that prediction is based upon hard solid facts and planetary alignments."
Posted by: Greg S. | June 30, 2008 3:07 PM

... and Greg is an Aries who was born under a Gemini sun ...

Posted by: Boo! | June 30, 2008 3:13 PM | Report abuse

mauree:
Dead horse?!? I'm sorry, but Green's horse LONG ago turned to glue ... ;-)

Posted by: Boo! | June 30, 2008 3:15 PM | Report abuse

It's dark in this box. Cant wait until the season starts so I can go back on Joe's head.

Posted by: joe benninati's hair piece | June 30, 2008 3:15 PM | Report abuse

haha hey Jill digged the carcass *erm* glue up

Posted by: mauree | June 30, 2008 3:17 PM | Report abuse

mauree - So what was I wrong about?

Posted by: Jill | June 30, 2008 3:17 PM | Report abuse

Not really...I was directly responding to comments upthread about Green.

Posted by: Jill | June 30, 2008 3:18 PM | Report abuse

Old Bob,

Problem with that philosophy though is that at some point, the other GM's will start realizing he is always going the opposite of what he says and will play that angle instead. GMGM needs to shake things up a bit and follow through on his statements instead of going the opposite direction.

Posted by: CT Caps Fan | June 30, 2008 3:26 PM | Report abuse

@ joe benninati's hair piece

Could I borrow you for awhile? Have a bit of a solar panel issue going on.

Posted by: Al Koken's Scalp | June 30, 2008 3:27 PM | Report abuse

-@Al koken's scalp

If you want to borrow some clippings for a cut and paste job, let me know.

Posted by: Locker's mullet | June 30, 2008 3:35 PM | Report abuse

Midnight can't come soon enough. I may have to go down to the basement and hop online to see what's going on. And i'm usually asleep by then!

Posted by: Leeguru | June 30, 2008 3:37 PM | Report abuse

@Lee...I dont think signings start until noon this year. so you can sleep through the night.

Posted by: Pat | June 30, 2008 3:40 PM | Report abuse

@ Joe Bs hair

We'll go out for a beer when you get outta that box

Posted by: Clark's Groin | June 30, 2008 3:40 PM | Report abuse

Leeguru:
I thought it was noon - is it midnight?

Posted by: Boo! | June 30, 2008 3:40 PM | Report abuse

NOON! Oh goodie! an old man like me can't make it much past the Daily SHow...

Posted by: Leeguru | June 30, 2008 3:42 PM | Report abuse

It's Mass Hysteria in DC right now!!!!

LET'S GO CAPS!!!

:-)

Posted by: Puddin_an_Semin | June 30, 2008 3:43 PM | Report abuse

Leeguru:
LOL!! :-) Yup, I just confirmed - it is noon:

And it will be televised on the NHL Network:

"for us, hockey-starved Yanks wlll be able to enjoy TSN's Free Agent Frenzy on July 1 when the NHL Network snags it off a satellite and distributes it to customers in the U.S. The show airs live from 5-6 p.m. EDT and again from 7-8 p.m. EDT."

Granted, we will have read it all by then, but it will still be interesting to hear the commentary!

Posted by: Boo! | June 30, 2008 3:47 PM | Report abuse

Now that we have solved all of the CAPS problems and case scenarios - we just sit and wait because we are no further along then we were yesterday! This is the first time in a long time we have had any roar on this board during July - It's gonna be a great 2008-2009 season. If some young guys go then they go, maybe we will get something good in return, I have to believe that GMGM knows what to do, maybe not what we want, but honestly we have no control so sit back and enjoy the ride! You know right now the most important thing is to get Huet, the rest will fall into place no matter who is left. Some of these guys are going to get injured or bust, they will not all play great for us, let's just see what happens! Thanks Tarik you always do a great job getting information.

Posted by: Greenie | June 30, 2008 3:48 PM | Report abuse

I heard from some friends in Canada that Mike Green is considering moving back to Canada. It's Canada Day tomorow and I heard he's feeling homesick and doesn't like how the Russians are a clique, who talk Russian and go out for vodka together vs. a beer and some smokes.

Posted by: Dat Dude | June 30, 2008 3:48 PM | Report abuse

Of course, nothing is gonna happen at noon tomorrow....

Posted by: Leeguru | June 30, 2008 3:51 PM | Report abuse

A Gemini sun? Hmmm...you have the Aries part right.

What ever Boo! says, I'm all over it.

BTW, that pun you did on the last post? That was a stinker. Of course you know that 2/3rds of a pun is PU...

My 2 fave shows ever are Rocky & Bullwinkle, and Mythbusters. The latter for the announcer dude and his puns.

Posted by: Greg S. | June 30, 2008 3:52 PM | Report abuse

HUET JUST SIGNED!!!!!

...his credit card receipt.

Posted by: keef | June 30, 2008 3:53 PM | Report abuse

The Red Green show, too.

"Keep your stick on the ice!", and the man's prayer. classic stuff.

Posted by: Greg S. | June 30, 2008 3:54 PM | Report abuse

I heard from some friends in Haiti that Mike Green likes playing in warm weather where he can hang out on the beach on off days so he will be signing with a "C" league team there.

Keep em coming people!

Posted by: CT Caps Fan | June 30, 2008 3:56 PM | Report abuse

Tarik

Any word about teams making a pitch for Kolzig vice-versa or if he's closer to considering retirement?

Posted by: Charles | June 30, 2008 4:00 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: keef | June 30, 2008 4:05 PM | Report abuse

I reached out to Kolzig yesterday. Still waiting to hear back.

Posted by: Tarik | June 30, 2008 4:07 PM | Report abuse

Keef,

I hope he's one the ice against us, that'll help OV win the scoring title again.

Posted by: Steve R | June 30, 2008 4:11 PM | Report abuse

God I hope we get just one signing done today. Personally I'd rather wait on Green, I don't think he'll get an offer and when he doesn't we might be able to get him cheaper. I just hope we ink, someone even if it's a relatively small deal we all knew was coming like ShoMo.

Posted by: DC FURY | June 30, 2008 4:13 PM | Report abuse

Tampa's D will stink next year, they will go young. If Boyle waives his no trade clause he will be dealt. Barry wants to play run n gun hockey.

Posted by: Pat | June 30, 2008 4:13 PM | Report abuse

My 2 cents:

Huet at $5 million per year for three years is overpaid. I like him but he can't be counted on to play 60 games.

Green is the real deal. Sign him long term 6 years at $6 million per season. It will be considered a bargain in 2 years.

Pleaseeeee... GMGM make a pitch at Brooks Orpik. I'd love to see him in Caps red.

Posted by: billy barule | June 30, 2008 4:16 PM | Report abuse

Olie is going to Haiti with Green.

Too much tension on this board.

Posted by: CT Caps Fan | June 30, 2008 4:17 PM | Report abuse

smokin' al's scalp, sorry bud, i dont think i'd fit on that big coconut of yours. i might suggest you speak to al's back hair about a super comb forward.

clark's groin, a beer sounds good. i'm tired of tasting all this hair gel. but if you think i'm paying, you're nuts!!!

Posted by: joe benninati's hair piece | June 30, 2008 4:20 PM | Report abuse

I'm not convinced Brooks Orpik is an upgrade over John Erskine, to be honest.

Posted by: Eric | June 30, 2008 4:20 PM | Report abuse

Leeguru:
Nothing will happen at noon?!? Wanna bet? :-)

Greg:
Are you starting to believe that I am omniscient? BTW, those shows that you like - I knew that ... ;-)
Oh, and it WAS punny!! HA!! :-D

Posted by: Boo! | June 30, 2008 4:21 PM | Report abuse

Boo, Nothing is going to happen until after 10 pm EST IMO. just a thought....

Posted by: Leeguru | June 30, 2008 4:23 PM | Report abuse

Eric,

You are kidding right? I mean, my 5 year old could skate around Erskine. At least Orpik can stop a play and knock someone on their fanny without taking a penalty.

Posted by: CT Caps Fan | June 30, 2008 4:23 PM | Report abuse

@CT,

I didn't say Erskine was good. I just said I don't think Orpik's any good either. :)

Posted by: Eric | June 30, 2008 4:26 PM | Report abuse

@Leeguru -

Maybe nothing will happen on the Caps front right off the bat, but if history is any indicator somebody somewhere is getting signed by 12:15 p.m.

Posted by: Sombroero Guy | June 30, 2008 4:26 PM | Report abuse

I'm just hoping not to get hit again.

Posted by: Erskine's Glass Jaw | June 30, 2008 4:28 PM | Report abuse

Eric:
Are you serious about Orpik v. Erskine? Don't get me wrong, I love the grit of Johnny the Bulldog, but Orpik is a better Dman. Wait a minute ... is this the same Eric who said that TB had "zero chance at signing" Malone? If so, nevermind!! ;-)

Posted by: Boo! | June 30, 2008 4:29 PM | Report abuse

Just when I think of Erskine, I think of Hermin Munster on skates. I think Orpik is a beast and will become a better beast since is he so young.

Posted by: CT Caps Fan | June 30, 2008 4:30 PM | Report abuse

Leeguru:
What?!? You are kidding, right?

Sombrero:
Heck yeah - paper will start flying before we can finish lunch!

Posted by: Boo! | June 30, 2008 4:30 PM | Report abuse

Boo, what is the bet?

Posted by: Leeguru | June 30, 2008 4:32 PM | Report abuse

on this Orpik thing: maybe i was watching the wrong Stanley Cup playoffs

Posted by: doughless | June 30, 2008 4:34 PM | Report abuse

@Boo!

Holy crap, that guy is not me. Maybe I need a new moniker...

It's just a feeling, looking at Orpik, that he's about to go on tilt. When I watch him, I see the soul of an "overcommit on this play" kind of guy lurking in there.

Just a feeling. Hey, could be worse - he could be Milan Jurcina saucering pucks to opposing forwards....

Posted by: Eric | June 30, 2008 4:37 PM | Report abuse

@erskines glass jaw

HAAAAHAAAAAAHAAAAAAAA

Posted by: Anonymous | June 30, 2008 4:46 PM | Report abuse

@Lee - I'll be you one overpriced Verizon Center beer.

Posted by: Sombrero Guy | June 30, 2008 4:47 PM | Report abuse

WAIT! Lee is betting beer?? What are the terms?

Posted by: Steve R | June 30, 2008 4:50 PM | Report abuse

And Sombrero, if there is a signing listed on the NHL website by 1215 pm, tomorrow, I will do the same

Posted by: Leeguru | June 30, 2008 4:53 PM | Report abuse

Leeguru:
Oh so tempting ... are you talking about across the league or just for the Caps?

Eric:
LOL!!! He was a lower-case "eric" ... for whatever that is worth. Anyway, I think Brooks is a solid Dman in the making. His points, +/- and PIMs have all improved over the past few seasons. He is more of a S@H guy (which is what we need) and he's a decent size. Besides, he was named after Herb Brooks, so he is destined for greatness!! ;-) BTW, thanks for the reminder about Juice - and I had just about gotten those images out of my mind ... :-P

Posted by: Boo! | June 30, 2008 4:54 PM | Report abuse

Steve, Beer is all I will bet! I'll even buy him a good beer, not the Budweiser I drink. Now what does Boo want to bet?

Posted by: Leeguru | June 30, 2008 4:54 PM | Report abuse

Boo, I'll bet for you a Caps signing will not happen before 10PM est.

Posted by: Leeguru | June 30, 2008 4:55 PM | Report abuse

Leeguru:
You are betting beer over a VC soft-serve ice cream cone?!?

Posted by: Boo! | June 30, 2008 4:57 PM | Report abuse

Lee & Sombrero,

Can I get in on this? What are we betting on (understanding beer is the pay out)?

Posted by: Steve R | June 30, 2008 4:59 PM | Report abuse

I will take the ice cream cone if it is in the waffle cone.

Posted by: CT Caps Fan | June 30, 2008 4:59 PM | Report abuse

Steve:
So you don't care what it is, as long as you can get a beer? Man, I should have sent a six-pack with bobblehead Ovie!! ;-)

Posted by: Boo! | June 30, 2008 5:00 PM | Report abuse

haha

@Steve R - The bet is that by 12:15 PM a free agency signing will be announced on nhl.com

Posted by: Sombrero Guy | June 30, 2008 5:04 PM | Report abuse

Boo,

Depends on what kind of 6 pack ;)

Posted by: Steve R | June 30, 2008 5:04 PM | Report abuse

Steve, I buy you an ice cream cone every time we go! And I would certanly buy you beer.

Boo, Ice cream works. My big belly prefers it.

CT wants a waffle cone. ok...

Posted by: Leeguru | June 30, 2008 5:04 PM | Report abuse

Caps or NHL wide on the 12:15pm thing?

Plus NHL.com is a little slow with news, I'll take TSN.

Who is thinking before 12:15 and who has after?

Posted by: Steve R | June 30, 2008 5:06 PM | Report abuse

Lee, beer won in a wager tastes better.

Posted by: Steve R | June 30, 2008 5:07 PM | Report abuse

Steve, I say after, and NHL.com will post the time of the signing.

And free beer, no matter how earned, tastes the best. I'll settle with you at Kraig's on the 12th

Posted by: Leeguru | June 30, 2008 5:08 PM | Report abuse

I say no signings until after 12:15, league wide.

Posted by: CT Caps Fan | June 30, 2008 5:08 PM | Report abuse

Tarik, anyone else want in? Chief? I would gladly share a beer with you!

Posted by: Leeguru | June 30, 2008 5:11 PM | Report abuse

Something to keep in mind - how many RFA's have been signed to offer sheets in the history of RFA's? Less than 20? Less than 10?

Maybe the Caps will have one to deal with this year? History is on their side here.

Posted by: Stormblue | June 30, 2008 5:12 PM | Report abuse

Tarik will be on XM Home Ice 204 sometime soon.

Posted by: uncatim | June 30, 2008 5:13 PM | Report abuse

Hmmm. Good point. TSN does a much better job of posting updates.

Posted by: Sombrero Guy | June 30, 2008 5:13 PM | Report abuse

Lee,

If you're sharing a beer with Chief, I'd advise two straws.

Posted by: Steve R | June 30, 2008 5:14 PM | Report abuse

Im thirsty... Good thing I have well stocked fridge...

Posted by: JSchon | June 30, 2008 5:15 PM | Report abuse

Good point.

Talk over a pint or two!

Posted by: Leeguru | June 30, 2008 5:15 PM | Report abuse

Since the Avs and Oilers made their moves, that really eliminated 2 of few teams that could go after Green.

Posted by: JSchon | June 30, 2008 5:25 PM | Report abuse

Good point JSchon. That is good news.

Posted by: Steve R | June 30, 2008 5:27 PM | Report abuse

Green... 8yr $35M... Sign it...

Posted by: JSchon | June 30, 2008 5:28 PM | Report abuse

Tarik is on XM. Updates to follow

Posted by: Leeguru | June 30, 2008 5:33 PM | Report abuse

Where do you get soft-serv at the Booth?

Posted by: keef | June 30, 2008 5:36 PM | Report abuse

Beer and ice cream ... sounds like hockey season to me!! I don't want anything - just your eternal "bow-down-ed-ness" ... ;-)

Posted by: Boo! | June 30, 2008 5:42 PM | Report abuse

Doesn't think the Caps will be active. GOing to focus on keeping his own players (GMGM). Feds is a good fit in DC and Feds would have to want to stay for him to resign. Doesn't think the Caps are going to make a big splash in the FA market. Laich is a core player and they would like to have him back (none of this stuff is new to us) They are reluctant to sign for a lot, look for a 1-2 year deal. Caps fans are excited, blog is VERY active. The caps are as hot as they've ever been. That's about it

Posted by: Leeguru | June 30, 2008 5:43 PM | Report abuse

Steve:
Probably just as well that I didn't send beer - I am not sure it would have found its way to you ...

Posted by: Boo! | June 30, 2008 5:45 PM | Report abuse

aaahhhh, Boo, you always have my worship

Posted by: Leeguru | June 30, 2008 5:45 PM | Report abuse

Tarik also said Fedorov is looking for $4 million, Caps offering $2 million.

Posted by: uncatim | June 30, 2008 5:46 PM | Report abuse

I missed that part. My boss walked in. Thanks

Posted by: Leeguru | June 30, 2008 5:47 PM | Report abuse

Thats funny -- my boss called right at the beginning of Tarik's segment. Darn bosses.

Posted by: uncatim | June 30, 2008 5:48 PM | Report abuse

Leeguru:
Are you going to retract that after my last comment? ;-) BTW, I would not be surprised if someone signed BEFORE noon! Problem is (as Steve said), NHL.com is slooow ... we are more likely to hear it here or on WashCaps.com first.

Posted by: Boo! | June 30, 2008 5:50 PM | Report abuse

man, nothing interesting to pass along? really?

Posted by: Anonymous | June 30, 2008 5:52 PM | Report abuse

I would be suprised if the Caps sign anyone before noon. And you are right, Boo. Steve would have HEARD about the beer, but I doubt he would have tasted it!

Posted by: Leeguru | June 30, 2008 5:52 PM | Report abuse

@ uncatim
when did he say that?

Posted by: DC FURY | June 30, 2008 5:53 PM | Report abuse

Leeguru:
Oh, so no retraction - great!!! ;-) Anyway, you've just made tomorrow a little more interesting - thanks! Now if we can just find a bookie who deals in beer, soft-serve ice cream (on waffle cones) and bow-down-ed-ness ... hmm ...

keef:
You can get soft-served at those kiosk things all around the VC - with the dippin' dots and stuff like that (was that specific enough? ;-)).

Posted by: Boo! | June 30, 2008 5:58 PM | Report abuse

I can not see us shelling out $4mm for Feds. $3mm is the tops.

Posted by: CT Caps Fan | June 30, 2008 5:58 PM | Report abuse

DC FURY:

About 30 minutes ago on XM Home Ice

Posted by: uncatim | June 30, 2008 6:01 PM | Report abuse

I can guarantee you Feds will be back, GMGM loves him. Feds is an old fox, he is the only guy who congratulated GMGM after the team broke into playoffs. Maybe not 4mil, but 3 mil, whatever...

Posted by: King Huet | June 30, 2008 6:02 PM | Report abuse

uncatim:
Really? Do you know any place i could listen to it online?

Posted by: DC FURY | June 30, 2008 6:04 PM | Report abuse

I bet Fed signs for $2M-3M.

Posted by: Boo! | June 30, 2008 6:12 PM | Report abuse

Not sure if this will be the fastest on the updates or not.....but I think its a great place to check things out.

Posted by: Tracker | June 30, 2008 6:12 PM | Report abuse

The SouthEast Div just went from JokeEast to StackEast! real quick!

Wsh-Were loaded!
Tampa-There good now but no goalie!
Carolina-They always have been solid
Florida-They will always be garbage!
Atlanta-Atlanta Kovalchuks! aka Crap!

Cant wait for next year please sign...
Greeny/Feds/Huet! please please please Mcphee!

Ovechkin/Feds/Semin

CANT WAIT!

Posted by: ZackAttack | June 30, 2008 6:13 PM | Report abuse

oh, TBL signed Vinny Prospal, too? thanks

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzz

Posted by: bigonetimer | June 30, 2008 6:15 PM | Report abuse

DC FURY

I just checked XM online -- they only carry Home Ice on-air.

Boo!:

I bet you are right about Fedorov. He likes the Caps.
Also, no I have not been to Bugsy's. I would like to go but I rarely make it to Old Town any more.

Posted by: uncatim | June 30, 2008 6:16 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Anonymous | June 30, 2008 6:17 PM | Report abuse

Tracker:
Great link - thanks!

Tim:
We'll have to have a WaPo away game gathering at Bugsy's this season.

Posted by: Boo! | June 30, 2008 6:22 PM | Report abuse

uncatim:
too bad thanks for checking around though. I'll now scour the internet in hopes of finding either a podcast of some sort or just the dialog.

Posted by: DC FURY | June 30, 2008 6:27 PM | Report abuse

Boo!:

That would be fun!

Posted by: uncatim | June 30, 2008 6:32 PM | Report abuse

Tarik:
Any updates on Fedorov, Huet, or Green for those of us who don't have XM?

Posted by: DC FURY | June 30, 2008 6:55 PM | Report abuse

Here's what we really know...

Posted by: JSchon | June 30, 2008 7:10 PM | Report abuse

Laich is watching this I'm sure... $2.3M for this guy?

The Buffalo Sabres have re-signed forward Paul Gaustad to a four-year, $9.2 million contract.

Gaustad will earn $1.7 million in the first year of the deal, and $2.5 million per year for the remaining three years.

Drafted by the Sabres in the 7th round (220th overall) in 2000, Gaustad has spent his entire NHL career with the Sabres. He's tallied 28 goals and 54 assists in 215 NHL games played. Last season, the Fargo, North Dakota native put up 10 goals and 26 assists with a minus- 4 rating in 82 games.

Posted by: JSchon | June 30, 2008 7:22 PM | Report abuse

Where is Tampa coming up with the $ for this? Prospal too now? Are they going to have to dump Boyle to free up $ and go with the no name D?

Posted by: Steve R | June 30, 2008 7:34 PM | Report abuse

If another team renders and offer sheet that is signed by a Caps RFA, how long do the Caps have to decide whether to match that offer?

Posted by: Kim | June 30, 2008 7:52 PM | Report abuse

Dumping Boyle salary isnt in their plans. What I see is them coming close to maxing out the salary cap.

They have 8 defensemen signed, and 11 forwards signed now. They are at $47M and need 6 more players signed including Rolston. Very doable.

They must be sold on Smith and Ramo in net.

Posted by: JSchon | June 30, 2008 7:55 PM | Report abuse

Hello all!

Bugsy's pizza bests Lombardi's in NY when the Caps win! But then again, when the Caps win, sex is....I'll stop there.

Posted by: BernieWolfeFan | June 30, 2008 8:03 PM | Report abuse

@Kim -

WHAT HAPPENS WHEN A PLAYER SIGNS AN OFFER SHEET?
Once a player signs an offer sheet, the team ("New Team") giving the offer will submit it to Central Registry and must also notify the player's original team ("Prior Team") of the offer sheet. The Prior Team has seven (7) days from the date it receives the offer sheet to choose whether to accept the terms of the offer sheet or decline. If they choose to accept, then the salary, signing bonuses (if any), and reporting bonuses (if any) in the Offer Sheet become a binding Standard Player Contract on both the Prior Team and the player. If they decline, then all of the terms specified in the Offer Sheet become binding on the New Team and the player and the Prior Team receives compensation in the form of draft picks.

Posted by: Sombrero Guy | June 30, 2008 8:03 PM | Report abuse

My last post got me thinking. If I am GMGM, and some team tries to steal my RFA, I wait 6 days 23 hours to match the sheet. This way the other team misses out on opportunities to make alternative plans and get stuck with leftovers after the first week frenzy.

Posted by: Sombrero Guy | June 30, 2008 8:10 PM | Report abuse

@Sombrero Guy

Agree!!! That would be the smart move to teach that other club a lesson... try to snatch our young talent and you will lose! I could see GMGM doing that.

Hopefully we will be hearing the good news that Huet and Green have been signed and Laich is around the corner soon.

Posted by: Tracy | June 30, 2008 8:24 PM | Report abuse

Okay, so bottom line is that we may not know Green's status (and potentially other RFAs) until next week. I am buying stock in Alka Seltzer tomorrow.

Posted by: Kim | June 30, 2008 8:53 PM | Report abuse

Capitals, please sign Fedorov, pleeaassee. I really really really want to give you $200 for a number 91 jersey!

Posted by: Jordan | June 30, 2008 9:11 PM | Report abuse

Tarik, now that bonuses don't actually offer any cap relief this year (due to the possible expiration of the CBA), do you think that will make it tougher to sign Fedorov? Or do you think they give him 2.5 anyway and try to designate him as Pothier's replacement?

Posted by: Brad | June 30, 2008 9:12 PM | Report abuse

Fedorov wants $4million/year???? what???? I like Feds as much as any hockey fan...but come on...he only averages like 40 points a season and was a (-) minus player in DC...I want him resigned but not at the expense of anyone else...a luxury item IF WE CAN AFFORD IT, and $4million isn't worth it!

Posted by: mike b | June 30, 2008 9:23 PM | Report abuse

tarik, can you or someone help me out with the offer sheet process. is it possible for an RFA to get multiple offer sheets (i'm guessing yes)? if so, are they taken on a first come first served basis? is there a time limit for offer sheets to be made and at the end of that time period the original team has to match the best deal (i.e. highest total $)? just wondering what the mechanics are and what options the player has, if any, in rejecting offer sheets. thanks.

Posted by: Cap Fan 1 | June 30, 2008 9:38 PM | Report abuse

ok, so i guess i should have read sombrero guy's post before my last post. so the player has to agree to the offer sheet, they just cant come rolling in. and i'm guessing the player can only sign one offer sheet. make sense i suppose. it also makes a lot of sense that a guy like green would go through the process. it's a no lose situation really. he can negotiate like a free agent and knows the worst he can do is get his deal matched with his current team. he knows what the caps are offering, why not see what others have to say. i suppose the caps initial offer comes off the table at noon tomorrow though...

Posted by: Cap Fan 1 | June 30, 2008 9:44 PM | Report abuse

Don't you fans worry. There is nothing I want more than to be chased down by OV after I score. I'll be rocking the red with you next year!
MG

Posted by: Mike Green | June 30, 2008 9:47 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: uncatim | June 30, 2008 9:55 PM | Report abuse

For general questions about the CBA go here http://www.nhlscap.com/cap_faq.htm

@Brad- Bonuses do provide some cap relief. Sort of. Teams can exceed the cap in order to pay bonuses at the end of a season, but they have to be UNDER the cap by the same amount the following season. See the next link for details

@Capfan1
To get a cliff notes explanation on the whole RFA process go here http://www.nhlscap.com/offer_sheets.htm

To answer your specific question, a player can receive multiple offer sheets, but they can only sign one. Their current team has 7 days to match, or reject the offer sheet. If they match the offer sheet, they assume the contract. If they reject it, they get compensated in draft picks.

Offer sheets can be made indefinitely (i believe) and the only time frame I have seen is the 7 day window the current team has to match the offer.

Posted by: Sombrero Guy | June 30, 2008 10:47 PM | Report abuse

@Capsfan1 - and i guess i should have read your second post before responding haha

Posted by: Sombrero Guy | June 30, 2008 10:51 PM | Report abuse

@Sombrero Guy

Normally, that'd be true. But that provision isn't valid for the last year of the CBA, and they have to assume the CBA will expire this year, which means they can't defer any cap hits to next season (because there's no guarantee there'll be a cap), which means there is no cap relief for bonuses.

It's on TSN:

Posted by: Brad | June 30, 2008 10:59 PM | Report abuse

@Brad - good call. I hadn't seen that yet.

Posted by: Sombrero Guy | June 30, 2008 11:33 PM | Report abuse

"Many player agents contacted by TSN had no idea of this new wrinkle which could significantly impact the types of contracts offered in free agency and the teams' flexibility to stay under the cap."

Well at least I wasn't the only one in the dark on this...

Posted by: Sombrero guy | June 30, 2008 11:38 PM | Report abuse

Go to TSN FA tracker. It's pretty cool

Posted by: CA Caps Fan | July 1, 2008 12:04 AM | Report abuse

LET THE GAMES BEGIN!!!!!

Posted by: Boo! | July 1, 2008 7:20 AM | Report abuse

D DAY !

Posted by: CristoWALL | July 1, 2008 7:51 AM | Report abuse

I am wery excite!

Posted by: Jordan | July 1, 2008 8:23 AM | Report abuse

Jordan:
You must not be that excited - you only used one exclamation point!! ;-)

Posted by: Boo! | July 1, 2008 8:29 AM | Report abuse

Huh ... just saw a list of the hurricane names for 2008 (I did not realize that they named hurricanes before they happened!). Anyway, the 3rd hurricane (apparently there has only been one so far this year) will be named Cristobal. That's not a bad omen, is it? NC isn't looking for a keeper, right?!? :-X

Posted by: Boo! | July 1, 2008 8:36 AM | Report abuse

wow...I didnt get much sleep last night. Feels like Chrismas eve all over......I am sure there will be a good present under the tree......just gotta find the present with my name on it..

Posted by: Mike Green | July 1, 2008 8:42 AM | Report abuse

GREENER IS A CAP STILL WOOOOOOOO

Posted by: AP | July 1, 2008 8:55 AM | Report abuse

4 years 5.25mil

Posted by: Brad | July 1, 2008 9:07 AM | Report abuse

tsn reports washington resigns defenseman mike green to a four-year deal worth 5.25 million a season

Posted by: jon capital | July 1, 2008 9:17 AM | Report abuse

I like MG as much as anyone here... but seems a bit pricey for a mid-range deal (in length). Per his comment that are posted on OFB, I think we should let Greenie (and Feds) hang out with Ovie more... with his comment about not having to worry about money til he's 35.

Posted by: Scofield | July 1, 2008 9:38 AM | Report abuse

Yep, TSN has Green's signing on their main page! That's a bit much, but still leaves us plenty of room to sign everyone else.

Posted by: Keebler | July 1, 2008 9:45 AM | Report abuse

anyone there want to chat with a girl who likes sports? Let's mingle here at +++++(((((((-----u k i n t e r r a c i a l m a t c h . c o m------)))))))+++, where many black and white singles who want to meet and seek fun & love seriously! Join us to begin our connect!

Posted by: willow | July 1, 2008 9:49 AM | Report abuse

THN reported..and it's true.. 21 million 4 years...I'm Bacccccccccck!!!!!

Posted by: Mike Green | July 1, 2008 10:24 AM | Report abuse