Updates On Semin and Green

Both Alexander Semin and Mike Green did not finish the game because of injuries. I talked to Green moments ago and he told me that he aggravated the shoulder injury that caused him to miss 11 games.

Green said he hopes to practice tomorrow, but that he's going to wait until he wakes up before making a call.

"I ain't dead and it ain't broken," he said when I asked him if he could play Saturday in Philly.

As for Semin, I did not get a chance to talk to him after the game. But he was in a lot of pain after being cross checked in the back by David Backes midway through the third period, and left the building walking very slowly.

GM George McPhee said both players are day-to-day, and that they'll make a further determination on their status tomorrow at practice.

By Tarik El-Bashir  |  December 18, 2008; 10:16 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Tonight's Lineup
Next: Caps 4, Blues 2

Comments

Great more day to day's. More like week to week. Can this team catch a break.

Posted by: e-money | December 18, 2008 10:26 PM | Report abuse

Cross the fingers. Hope the boys recover quickly.

Posted by: fnralch | December 18, 2008 10:27 PM | Report abuse

We really need a 60 minute effort on Saturday. I've had enough of these 40 minute games.

I've also defended Nylander as much as I can. I can't any more. He's so far off of point production he's had in the past 3 years it isn't even funny. And it looks like he's cruising out there. Yeah, he got a game winner this week, but SOME backchecking would be nice. Unfortunately, there'll be no market for him.

(Maybe reverse psychology will work)

Gordon should get the hardhat.

Posted by: Greg S. | December 18, 2008 10:37 PM | Report abuse

Looked like Semin hurt his right knee after being crosschecked. He was flexing it on the bench just before he got up and limped off to the locker room. The broadcasters seemed to agree.

Posted by: OldFan | December 18, 2008 10:39 PM | Report abuse

Nylander was atrocious tonight. Even more so than usual. They have to do whatever is possible to get rid of him. He's not going to get any better.

Semin definitely hurt his back. You can't listen to anything Joe B or Locker says.

Posted by: VegasCapsFan | December 18, 2008 10:43 PM | Report abuse

!@$# !@#$ !@#$ !@#$ !Q#@$ !@#$ !@#$ !@#$ !@#$ !@#$ !@#$ !$#@ #$& #$%^ #$%^ #$% #$%^

Posted by: sargeantmofo | December 18, 2008 10:44 PM | Report abuse

Just got home from the game. Great crowd for a Thurs in December. Varlamov is crazy quick.

Posted by: Steve_R | December 18, 2008 10:47 PM | Report abuse

yeah, looked like Semin hurt his back, but may have also tweaked that right knee. double-banger. oy, please be OK Semin and Green!

I hate Philthy...

Posted by: sargeantmofo | December 18, 2008 10:47 PM | Report abuse

Just got back from the game. Caps lost their intensity for most of the 2nd. Glad they finally picked up the pace.

Hope Semin is ok. Looked like he reaggrevated his previous injury. Nice to see OV come in jump the culprit. Refs failed to make the call, so OV took matter into his own hands. That's what a leader does.

Posted by: cbs75 | December 18, 2008 10:50 PM | Report abuse

STUPID INJURIES!!!

Can someone get suspended?

Posted by: SA-Town | December 18, 2008 10:50 PM | Report abuse

let's hope neither is that serious. I'll be honest, I hope they rest both of them for a decent while, and play the other guys. No need to rush them back. If we put them on LTIR it helps us more then them playing 2 games off 3 and so on. Let's rest them for 10 games and save some cap. We can win without them, and will need them more in March/April then we do right now.

Posted by: goskinsgo | December 18, 2008 10:51 PM | Report abuse

I was at the game and the hit on Semin to me looked more than a cross check, it looked like boarding. I hope the league reviews it and puts a stiff penalty on that blue. Semin was on the ground and attempting to get up. Clearly he could not make a play for the puck.

The refs failed utterly. Damn it. Losing Green and Semin again. This sucks.

Posted by: cirrus_nine | December 18, 2008 10:54 PM | Report abuse

Just got back from the game as well. Truly a great crowd, except for the guys talking about Hank Hill half of the second period and yelling at people most of the 3rd.

I must say that is the coldest Caps game I have been to. I don't go to a lot of games, but my toes are thawing out.

The Caps were up and down in intensity. They still (mostly Semin and Nylander) have to trying to still hook around and try and make these pretty plays. One of Semin's was him looping back into the defensive zone with 2 Blues on either side.

Varmalov is money. He had a really good showing. It would be nice if he stayed up and Jose Three-or-more, but I know that is not in the cards.

Posted by: FusilliJerry1 | December 18, 2008 10:59 PM | Report abuse

Nylander is an idiot! - That guy is terrible and he doesn't fit the Caps mode of player. Loved OV's comments after the game ~ "I just was protecting my buddy, but if I didn't do someone else would!"
Every goal that guy scores is highlight reel material. I sometimes think they and we take it for granted how good that guy really is. Props to Jurcina and Gordon - Great Game Guys! (GGG)

Posted by: psugolf | December 18, 2008 11:00 PM | Report abuse

Clearly, Semin is milking this injury, and should be sent to Hershey for his efforts.

/wanted to be the first to say it.

Posted by: Section117 | December 18, 2008 11:00 PM | Report abuse

FILTHY ROTTEN SONOFA...! David Backes is the filthiest player on the Blues' team. Here's what he's gotten so far this season alone, and he SHOULD have gotten a cross-checking penalty for that hit on Semin.

David Backes (#42) - RW (6'3", 216#) - Boarding
- Boarding (maj)
- Fighting (maj) *
- Game misconduct *
- Hi-sticking *
- Holding
- Holding the Stick
- Hooking ***
- Interference **
- Misconduct (10 min)
- Roughing ******

* indicates a second (or third, or fourth...) incident of the same infraction.

CAN he be suspended for that? Fined? Something? ANYTHING?!

And - get this:

Blues coach Andy Murray lamented the opportunities his club gift-wrapped for Washington, a team with a penchant for pouncing on errors.

"We know they're a good and dangerous team. I didn't like some of the things they did to allow them to get scoring chances," he said.

Murry, you've got some nerve!

Posted by: irockthered | December 18, 2008 11:07 PM | Report abuse

Not a great performance, but not bad. The cross check to Semin was he was getting up was heinous. AO was pissed an jumped in immediately, Brashear was sent out to circle the rest of the game.

I'm now on the Alzer bandwagon, the kid is good.

Poti is the only true hope for clearing pucks on the PK.

Even though I already love AO, no one...no one explodes out of his zone better than he.

The injuries suck. But, this team is building some character in the first half. It will bode well in the second.

If you boo'd at all tonight - for the Caps - you should be ashamed. You know what? You have two full minutes to score on a PP and I don't give a crap is you score in 5 seconds or 115 seconds. Did it happen tonight? Yes and no. You people need to grow up.

These guys will be primed for Sat. in Philly.

And lastly, screw the idea that a 20 year-old can't do this or can't do that. Keep Val up and let him play. I think a season in the NHL is the best seasoning.

Posted by: saintex | December 18, 2008 11:07 PM | Report abuse

@ FusilliJerry1:

That's interesting that you mention the arena being colder than usual. It looked like the ice was better tonight. I know Ted has been taking a lot of flack the past couple of days about the ice in his blog. Wonder if they finally decided to try to fix it.

Posted by: VegasCapsFan | December 18, 2008 11:13 PM | Report abuse

saintex,

And do what with the two goalies already under contract...?

Posted by: Steve_R | December 18, 2008 11:16 PM | Report abuse

looks like i jinxed semin by asking him to hattrick....

Posted by: richmondphil | December 18, 2008 11:17 PM | Report abuse

I don't think there was much difference inside the bowl than outside. It had to be in the 50's in there. I figured I would be OK with a t-shirt on, as per the norm. I had to keep my fleece jacket on and I started puling my hands into my sleeves in the 3rd period.

Agreed about Alzner. He made a couple of mistakes but played a good game. His worst mistake is he jumped up in the play and got caught. Varmalov saved his bacon with a great save.

Posted by: FusilliJerry1 | December 18, 2008 11:26 PM | Report abuse

i'm most impressed with the D. 17 of the 33 games have been 2 goals or less. we'll see if they can play a full 60 on sat. i hate philly, but i hate the pens more.

Posted by: kdwiedel | December 18, 2008 11:27 PM | Report abuse

@saintex: THANK YOU!!!! I am tired of hearing fans boo this team. Give them a break already. They were riding a 4 game winning streak and tied again in the 2nd period today when the boos started. I just don't get it. They struggled on the PP, it happens. Hopefully Green and Semin won't be out too long but to expect them back by Saturday at 1pm is unrealistic. We're going to have to just beat Philly without them. It won't be easy, but we're gonna have to. Thanks for another fun night at Verizon Caps! Oh yeah, not sure if anyone else took note of OV's class move. He raced for an eventual icing call after Semin's injury. I know, I know, the league calls a penalty now if someone follows through with a check on a touch-up for icing, but OV held up completely even though everyone knows he wanted to drill the Blue through the glass. Great control great 8.

Posted by: fanohock1 | December 18, 2008 11:37 PM | Report abuse

@ section 117,

I have season tickets in the same section, Row W...clearly you did not watch the replay of the cross checkm from St. Louis's #42- Backes or the flailing arm Semin had just prior to spinning sround. Granted he did not start the game off as well as he started the season, but really???? being sent down to Hershey?

Posted by: caps28fan | December 18, 2008 11:58 PM | Report abuse

caps28fan,

I would ignore him. He says things to get a rise out of people and get responses. That comment doesn't even deserve any respone.

Posted by: lightshow | December 19, 2008 12:19 AM | Report abuse

@caps28fan, lightshow: Easy. He's being sarcastic and isn't serious about those comments.

Posted by: kittypawz | December 19, 2008 12:29 AM | Report abuse

The ice did look good tonight. I noticed it was freezing a lot better and faster than previous games this year. Still not exactly smooth, but at least it's not wet. I thin kit helped that there was nothing in the building last night. I'm guessing they left the ice uncovered so it could dry.

Overall, a good but not great game. A team as beat up and lousy as St. Louis of late should never have been in it at all. And Backes is really lucky neither Clark nor Brasher were out there during that hit. They would have drilled him downright through the glass. That was a dirty hit and I'm sure Backes knows Semin is hurt right where he hit Semin.

Posted by: EricS2 | December 19, 2008 1:33 AM | Report abuse

Backes should be suspended for the hit on Semin. It was malicious and it appeared to be a deliberate attempt to injure. I hope the Caps front office pursues the matter.

Posted by: croftonpost | December 19, 2008 2:24 AM | Report abuse

I thought Semin was a little off tonight but give him a break. Nylander should give his game check to the Blues. Heck. he gave them the puck all night long. I agree Alzner should stay. No glaring mistakes and very solid. It pains me to say it but I think Erskine may have a tough time getting his job back with everyone healthy. re: croftonpost - The league will certainly take a good look at that hit. Backes and the refs are sure to get fined. That happened near the blue line in full view of the linesman. The refs missed a hook and couple of trips previously that period and lost control of the game at that point.

Posted by: psugolf | December 19, 2008 5:55 AM | Report abuse

Steve_R

Let the organization sort out contracts. I understand that it's an issue but it's their job to work those issues. Trades? I don't know. More than anything else, I don't buy into the idea that players aren't ready because in the past Russian-bred goalies have never been ready this early before. It's that kind of thinking that delays the building of great players. Does Var need some word, certainly, but the idea that a year in the AHL is the "best" training is tunnel vision. After watching him last night, he's ready.

Posted by: saintex | December 19, 2008 9:13 AM | Report abuse

I agree with those who said it was colder at VC last night. That was the first observation I made when my wife and I took our seats in 409.

As for the officiating, it really seemed that in the third period with the Caps up 4-1, they swallowed their whistles. It seemed like the Blues noticed, and the infractions that started with a few hooks and a trip ended with that blatant cross-check and near-boarding of Semin. Unbelievable that did not get a call.

Unfortunately, the NHL will review the play and possibly suspend the guy for a few games, but I wouldn't be surprised if we are without Semin for another month.

Posted by: cainoo7x | December 19, 2008 9:47 AM | Report abuse

Two thoughts/comments:

@irockthered: I actuallt read Murray's comment to mean that the "they did" was referring to his own players.

I noticed this on TV right before the hit on Semin, but Semin tried, ala soccer style, to draw a penalty right before that by spinning around and falling. He got hit right as he was getting back up. I think the hit was borderline a penalty, at least a cheap shot, but Semin put himself in that position with the ridiculous acting job and he could have gotten a diving penalty for it. I am sure this will draw comments, but you need to see the replay of the whole incident, escpecially for those who went to the game.

Posted by: CTCapsPhan | December 19, 2008 10:50 AM | Report abuse