Posted at 5:51 PM ET, 01/13/2011

Bruce Boudreau: Canucks a 'mirror image' of last season's Capitals

By Lindsay Applebaum

This time last season, the Caps were thriving in Coach Bruce Boudreau's offensive system, often racking up five or more goals a game and collecting points at a pace well ahead of the rest of the Southeast Division.

That team this year is the Vancouver Canucks, who visit Verizon Center on Friday night. Led by Henrik and Daniel Sedin, the Canucks are atop the NHL standings with 62 points and are second in total goals with 143.

"They're a very mirror image of what we were doing at this point last year," Boudreau said at practice Thursday.

But do the Caps want to be where they were last season, which ended with a first-round playoff loss to eighth-seeded Montreal?

"We did it last year. We ran away with it . . . and it got us nowhere," forward Brooks Laich said. "They're scoring, great. Whatever. Have fun with it, but for us it's just a big game."

Click here to read the full story.

By Lindsay Applebaum  | January 13, 2011; 5:51 PM ET
Categories:  Vancouver Canucks
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Brooks Laich: Capitals' luck 'is just terrible'
Next: Acting fast a must for Capitals

Comments

Canucks are failures just like the Craps. They too will fail is expected fashion.

Posted by: slurpeesarecool | January 13, 2011 6:20 PM | Report abuse

poker: From previous thread...Soaring Caps was one of the first inductees in the DB.

Of course, to be honest, some of what the DBers were saying has turned out to be more true than what some of us fence-sitters were saying.

At this point, the Dark Siders have right on their side.

Posted by: tominsocal1 | January 13, 2011 6:36 PM | Report abuse

"We did it last year. We ran away with it . . . and it got us nowhere," Laich said. "They're scoring, great. Whatever. Have fun with it, but for us it's just a big game."
------------------------

Really? Were the Caps ranked 4th in GA and 5th in PK at any time during last season???

Vancouver is more like what Chicago was like last season, NOT the Caps.

Posted by: joek443 | January 13, 2011 6:44 PM | Report abuse

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

I think he needs to go out and buy another mirror, maybe he looks thin in his mirror now too.

Again Vancouver now is much more BALANCED than the Caps were last season.

Posted by: joek443 | January 13, 2011 6:55 PM | Report abuse

"You know what, our Lady Luck right now is just terrible."

I have such a problem with this statement. The great ones as well as teams have the ability to "will" themselves to victory.

I have not seen this team at any point in the Alex Ovechkin era do this and that very much worries me.

- Ray

Posted by: rmcazz | January 13, 2011 6:58 PM | Report abuse

"You know what, our Lady Luck right now is just terrible."
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

And a lot of people on here want this guy as the captain?? Because he looks good on TV and always has something to say???

He's as soft as marsh mellow, just like most of his teammates. And he took the dumbest penalty last night as well.

Posted by: joek443 | January 13, 2011 7:06 PM | Report abuse

Um folks, I'll just say this. There are some changes that are very likely to occur sooner than later. (wink wink)

Posted by: pokerface1208 | January 13, 2011 7:17 PM | Report abuse

Thought on the current (mini-, we hope) funk:

--Mega-disturbed about how our offense seems snake-bit of late. It's baffling: Although the Caps scored goals by the bushel as a team last year, none of the guys we had this time last year and have since subrtracted (Brendan Morrisson, Tomas Fleischmann, Milan Jurcina, Shaone Morrisonn) were major contributors to that total. I'm baffled.
--Nobody with OV's gifts is that unlucky for that long. Is it possible that the Russian Mafia made a mega sports bet against OV's performance and is threatening his family to ensure collecting on it?
--Agree with FrankM73: Love Ovie and what he brings to the team, the league , the sport, but maybe Brooksie should have got the "C"...or at least an "A".
--PP needs big time help, but it was good to see the PK back on track: 5 for 5 against one of the League's best power plays. But we need to stay out of the @^$&*$%% box!
--Last year when the consensus was that the Caps needed to add a Prongeroid D-Man, I had posted that the Caps should have considered picking up Mattias Öhlund from Vancouver. Tampa acquired him instead, and I was disappointed. Watching Öhlund face-wash, stiff-arm, clothes-line, and basically push our guys around at-will and without retribution made me sick: Unlike some posters, I would much rather see the Caps win than be proven right.
--Hannan getting 4 vice only 2 for Downie after the latter attacked him was totally bogus.

As for Vancouver, I fear that:

--Luongo will make 10-bell saves look routine.
--The Sedin twins and Alex Burrows will have a 60-minute party in the offensive zone.
--The Caps will lose,
--It will be ugly,
--Bieksa will abuse the forwards, proving that I was right about the need to acquire him.

But like I said before, I really, really hope I am wrong.

On a lighter note, how about picking up Jovo-Cop from Phoenix at the deadline? He is in the final year of a 5-year deal worth $32.5M deal, so his cap hit would be be what, about $2.3M or so for the remainder of the season?

Posted by: Rhino40 | January 13, 2011 7:19 PM | Report abuse

since the caps have changed the system from last year to now, I wonder how the players feel about it. Do you all think they are buying into it? Last year we ran all over everyone, but the organization said we lost due to a hot goalie. Now they changed everything up for the playoffs and are playing better defensively, but do you guys think the players like it?

Are they buying in? I hope so.

Posted by: capsfansince74 | January 13, 2011 7:20 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: pokerface1208

Player changes or management?

Posted by: sgm3 | January 13, 2011 7:21 PM | Report abuse

I hope your source wasn't raiding GMGM's liquor cabinet when she/he was on the phone with you...

Posted by: joek443 | January 13, 2011 7:22 PM | Report abuse

Please don't tease us with inside info when all that will probably happen is GMGM will trade Tyler Sloan for Taylor Swift.

Posted by: kcbrichmond | January 13, 2011 7:25 PM | Report abuse

Does anyone have any confidence that our stars will be able to "flip a switch"? They have shown no sign thus far that they will be ready. None. It is scary how bad they have looked. You keep waiting for it to end, and it doesn't.

Does anyone have any confidence that we can beat PHI, BOS, TB, ATL, PIT, MON, NYR, CAR in a 7 game series? Forget the West.

Bottom line, we don't have the horses right now. Time for McPhee to go out and get them. Even if that means trading Semin. Players are out there, he needs to find them. At this point, for management, it' "put up or shut up" time.

Posted by: underpants2 | January 13, 2011 7:47 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: kcbrichmond

That would be a pretty solid trade

Posted by: sgm3 | January 13, 2011 7:48 PM | Report abuse

There were NHL reporters tweeting about Mike Fisher and his availability and I guess Columbus had interest, among other teams(that's what I read).

So I wonder if Ottawa would be looking to make a deal to shake things up. They are looking to do anything up there and their GM will likely be fired after this season if they don't start improving, so I expect Ottawa to make a few deals before the deadline.

Posted by: sgm3 | January 13, 2011 7:53 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: kcbrichmond

This made me laugh. Well done!

Posted by: LloydChristmas | January 13, 2011 7:55 PM | Report abuse

Some of you need to find a new team...not that any team would make you happy. There is a difference between constructive criticism and just a bad outlook on everything and a way over judgemental attitude. They are by no means a perfect team, but no team is! They have areas that need improving...so do all other teams...they may not win the cup...28 other teams won't win it either this season.

I love the people on here who constructively critisize and compliment the Caps...they have rational discussions with other posters who agree and disagree with them...those of you who think you know best and no other opinion could possibly be right need to grow up. You don't know best...I don't know best...I have ideas I like to share and get opinions on...

But I refuse to pretend that I "know" these players motives and hearts. No one on here does. And the disrespect shown to BB and Ovie especially is astounding. I really hope that some of you are actually just high schoolers or something...because if not...well it is just sad.

Posted by: capscoach | January 13, 2011 7:59 PM | Report abuse

@pokerface

are you talking about Philips? b/c I only saw it on hockeybuzz and my magic eight ball has a better percentage with acuracy.

Posted by: capscoach | January 13, 2011 8:04 PM | Report abuse

@pokerface1208 - nothing personal bud but don't make statementsthat amount to a hill of beans. wink wink. I'm just curious since I don't know you or psoter but do you know somebody on the inside or are you just looking for attention? Otherwise if it's the latter - then spare us. Don't mean for that to sound rude. If you got some info. don't have to say specifics but even something of a hint might work. :) Puh puh puh poker face.

I might be calling your bluff. :)

Posted by: Jonathan6 | January 13, 2011 8:06 PM | Report abuse

----------------------------------------------------

You obviously never saw Dino Ciccarelli play... all you had to do was look at his face and all his scars.

No he wasn't the most well rounded player who ever played but if you had one of two of those players on your team, you will NEVER get shut out.

If you did, at least you would put up a lot better effort than 5 shots on goal in the third period when you're already down by 3.

Posted by: joek443 | January 13, 2011 8:10 PM | Report abuse

and the little midget, Martin St. Louis... Guys like him and Dino would NEVER make it to the NHL if not for their hearts and desire.

Posted by: joek443 | January 13, 2011 8:13 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: capscoach | January 13, 2011 7:59 PM

very well said - keep up the good fight - unfortunately i think this will fall on many deaf eyes. :D

Posted by: Capt_Kirk_in_AZ | January 13, 2011 8:18 PM | Report abuse

Capscoach and her perpetual pom pom shaking pep rally are sad. Really.

Posted by: rblatch45 | January 13, 2011 8:36 PM | Report abuse

To be honest it's really hard being a Caps fan without expecting the worst. How many 3-1 series leads have we blown? How many crushing overtime losses in the playoffs? How can you miss a wide open net in the Stanley Cup playoffs? How many time has
%$#%burgh beat us in the playoffs?
Maybe Caps fans think they are watching another great chance being fumbled.
The defensive zone coverage and PK are better this year. The rest of it isn't. Discipline, system and attention to detail aren't BB's strong points. He did a great job getting a young team this far. The team needs another coach to take them the rest of the way.

Posted by: chriscaps | January 13, 2011 8:37 PM | Report abuse

"How can you miss a wide open net in the Stanley Cup playoffs? How many time has
%$#%burgh beat us in the playoffs?"

Yeah, but Pittsburgh was, by far, the superior team in the 90's because they had so much more SKILL than the Caps of that time. Funny how having a group of guys who are more skilled and talented can help you win.

Posted by: sgm3 | January 13, 2011 8:50 PM | Report abuse

As heard on Dragnet," just the facts ma'am".Well here are the facts.Last season,in 82 games,the Caps were shut out only ONCE,and held to one goal only TWICE(meaning in 79 games we scored 2 or more goals).This season,in just 44 games,the Caps were shut out SIX times,and held to one goal SIX times(meaning in 32 games we score 2 or more goals).....PITIFUL.On the positive side,last year after 44 games we had 60 points(27-11-6) and this year 55(24-13-7).

Posted by: roccky | January 13, 2011 8:51 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: roccky | January 13, 2011 8:51 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: roccky | January 13, 2011 8:51 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: roccky | January 13, 2011 8:51 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: roccky | January 13, 2011 8:51 PM | Report abuse

@chriscaps
Thanks for the horrific memories. Add in Pat Lafontaine's Game 7 4OT winner for the Islanders if you want to really have a kick in the gut.
As far as this year, this team seems less talented than the Federov, Koslov, etc. team of 2 years back.

Posted by: kcbrichmond | January 13, 2011 8:51 PM | Report abuse

%$#%burgh beat us in the playoffs?

@chriscaps

I hear you.

Posted by: underpants2 | January 13, 2011 8:52 PM | Report abuse

chriscaps makes a good point. Most longterm Caps fans hope for the best but expect the worst. I mean, if they had a cup already, I don't think people would be so doom and gloom. For example, look at the Redskins, they are terrible year after year but people always think they are going to win the Superbowl and are optimistic even when they're completely terrible. All the Caps have to do is win one cup. Yeah maybe it's easier said than done, but that is what they HAVE to do.

Posted by: LloydChristmas | January 13, 2011 8:58 PM | Report abuse

I might be calling your bluff. :)

Posted by: Jonathan6

I agree with you on this.

I like pokerface1208's posts and he seems to be very knowledgeable of the situation and hockey in general, but to just put a "wink wink" with nothing else is basically worth a hill of beans.

Posted by: sgm3 | January 13, 2011 8:59 PM | Report abuse

---------------------------------------------

Seriously did you even watch those Pens teams or do you just look them up on Wikipedia???

Those Pens didn't start winning the Cups till they became a balanced TEAM... after they made major trades to get the Samuelssons and Barrasso to shore up their end of the ice.

Posted by: joek443 | January 13, 2011 9:05 PM | Report abuse

@captkirk
shame on you for reposting such drivel ;)

@capscoach
The disrespect shown BB astounding? Really, as if the man has shown respect to any player other than his chosen ones....what comes around goes around, as far as I'm concerned. Personally, I take delight in being critical of the man because of all the times he's treated our players (yes, they're people too) LIKE YESTERDAY'S ROTTEN TRASH.

Here's some constructive criticism for ya: Shultz, as was to be expected, is proving himself to be AWFUL skating w/anyone not named Green. Because his game is sinking faster than the Titanic, I think it would be worth a shot to reunite him w/Green and pair Hannan/Erskine together for a couple games. Erskine's good, but he can't cover for all of Shultz's shortcomings the way Green can.

Posted by: vermontcaps | January 13, 2011 9:06 PM | Report abuse

"I'm only serious about 5 things in life: my family, my integrity, the Caps, the Grateful Dead, and golf. "

Vermontcaps

I'm thinking you forgot something or someone from your list. I can't quite put my finger on it ....

Posted by: zmega | January 13, 2011 9:11 PM | Report abuse

"lloydchristmas:

I get that...really I do. But why waste so much energy being miserable...try to get some enjoyment out of it.

@vermontcaps

Yes...BB treats his players except a couple like crap...and thats why they all seem to want to re-sign with the club...they also agree with your assesment that BB can't coach...again...thats why they re-sign.

I swear a year ago you were a relatively sane poster...but you fell off the deep end.

Posted by: capscoach | January 13, 2011 9:22 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: sgm3 | January 13, 2011 8:50 PM | Report abuse

Funny how having some of the greatest players in the game (Lemieux, Jagr, Coffey, Francis) were surrounded by some serious muscle (Stevens, Loney, Roberts, Caufield, Tocchet, Samuelsson, Jennings, Taglianetti, shoot even Coffey himself) to help win the Cup.

Our great players, Ovi/Semin/Backstrom/Green are surrounded by who again?

Posted by: vermontcaps | January 13, 2011 9:24 PM | Report abuse

Capscoach and her perpetual pom pom shaking pep rally are sad. Really.

Posted by: rblatch45 |

yes...striving for adult debate instead of bitter and radical statements is sad...as one of the younger posters on here, the lack of maturity by some is depressing.

what is sad is adults calling a coach who worked his way up from nothing names that a third grader wouldn't even stoup to. What is sad is adults pretending to know things that clearly only the players and management have any true insight into.

Sorry my desire for respectful conversation bugs you...but if I aimed any lower half of you would be no better than the Geico caveman.

Posted by: capscoach | January 13, 2011 9:29 PM | Report abuse

@vermontcaps

It's like you can read my mind. Keep up the good work and I won't have to do any typing.

This team just isn't tough enough to win when it counts. I can think of only 4 people on this team with heart.... Hendricks, Erskine, Ovi, and Bradley. DJ King probably has heart, but we'll never find out. The rest of the these guys just can't handle adversity.

Posted by: CAPSHOCKEY2 | January 13, 2011 9:41 PM | Report abuse

You've heard of the natural hat trick? How about the natural 5 post by roccky. Way to go roccky!

Posted by: chriscaps | January 13, 2011 9:44 PM | Report abuse

what BB needs to do is make his overpaid/underworked prima donnas watch every game of the Preds.

Posted by: joek443 | January 13, 2011 9:45 PM | Report abuse

deaf eyes, capscoach, deaf eyes

Posted by: Capt_Kirk_in_AZ | January 13, 2011 9:46 PM | Report abuse

Eklund is reporting the Caps are interested in Phillips.

Schultz+ for Phillips?

Posted by: underpants2 | January 13, 2011 9:51 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: zmega | January 13, 2011 9:11 PM | Report abuse

He falls under the Caps umbrella. And because we've gone into business together (Musk of Erskine scents....available for personal use or for house asthetics) I'm going to try to avoid using his name outside of the game of hockey.

Posted by: vermontcaps | January 13, 2011 9:55 PM | Report abuse

@vermontcaps

Posted by: CAPSHOCKEY2 | January 13, 2011 9:41 PM | Report abuse

Amen. End of sermon...oh ..I forgot...fire BB, he cant's get there from here.

Posted by: capper3 | January 13, 2011 10:22 PM | Report abuse

@capshockey

It's frustrating, isn't it? But I'll tell ya something, I DO BELIEVE we can still win the Cup (provided Varly stays healthy and Erskine stays in the lineup). The maddening thing is that Laich could definitely take his game to another level and become a TRUE POWER FORWARD. He's done well in the fights I remember (Richards, Ruutu, O'Byrne) and if he could just develop that edge, er tool, he could help provide the swagger and attitude we're desperately needing. C'mon Brooksie, you've already got a menacing glare when you choose to show it...take it to the next level!!

Fehr has shown an increased willingness to get involved, and I think some of his inspired performances were a direct result. Who could forget him JUMPING IN to support Ovi in Dallas? First time in his career he impressed me in that regard. Though he could've been more assertive, I didn't mind him throwing some jabs in there. He's doing more than just standing around with a stupid smirk on his face during scrums, and that's a plus that bodes well for the team. I wonder if he's afraid to throw out a shoulder if he were to get into a fight. You're getting better, Fehr, keep it up.

Chimera? I denounced the trade when it was made and ridiculed his supposed grit. Well, his cowering to Subban as he glowered over him was pathetic. I think he got the life sucked out of him after he was destroyed by Clarkson early in the season. Getting destroyed while fighting with a broken face, and not have a teammate jump-in to help (it was a lengthy fight, if I recall), well I don't know how that can go over positively in the locker room and promote team unity and solidarity.

Steckel, incredible that I find myself saying this, is starting to fulfill that big centerman role we need. He's finishing checks, blocking shots, winning faceoffs, and generating some good chances for himself and linemates. He's clearly trying to operate outside his comfort zone, and that's a plus.

Beagle has been very impressive, and he could certainly make a BIG NAME for himself by faring well in a couple of well-timed bouts this second half. On the backline, Alzner has definitely picked up his physical play and maybe Hannan's initiating a scrum w/Downie is proof that the veteran recognizes the need to send messages.

So, if those players could amp it up and Ovie, Hendricks, Brads, Erskine, AND DJK can make their contributions as well I think we could stack-up well w/anyone. However, that's a lot of ifs and I don't have enough characters left to start on the BIGGEST SOFTY on the team, coach marshmellow man BB.

Posted by: vermontcaps | January 13, 2011 10:41 PM | Report abuse

Eklund is reporting the Caps are interested in Phillips.

Schultz+ for Phillips?

Posted by: underpants

I've been wanting Chris Phillips to be on the Caps for a long while. That would be an awesome pickup, depending on who the Caps traded.

However, I just don't see the Caps making that deal without making another one. Even if it was Schulz+ for Phillips, the Caps would have no cap room to get a center.

Posted by: sgm3 | January 13, 2011 10:42 PM | Report abuse

Can Phillips play center? IMO the Caps management is happy (for now) with Schultz 4 year/$2.75 cap hit. If Poti would shut it down (please) and have surgery he could go on LTIR and Phillips would be affordable with room for a 2C. I like the Sloan for Taylor Swift trade. That would take care of the National Anthem for the rest of the year. She could easily replace him in the pressbox.

Posted by: chriscaps | January 13, 2011 10:47 PM | Report abuse

I wonder if older fans in St. Louis are as negative as some here are. Before the lockout they had made the playoffs 33 of 36 years and lost in the finals their first three years in exhistance being swept each time. I know they were not expected to win those years being a new team against the best of the original 6 but still you would think winning one game in three years could have been done. They also lost two conference championships after that. They also won the Presidents' Trophy in 99-00 and lost in the first round to SJ. That series they were down 3-1 and came back to force a game 7 before losing at home. I know the Caps have broken hearts but from reading some comments here there seem to be many people who seem to think this is something only the Caps can do. As was pointed out above there are 29 teams each year who don't win the Cup. How about the Yotes/Jets franchise who since starting in the NHL in 79-80 have still never even been to the finals, they also have never even made the conference finals. How do you think it would feel to be a fan of either of those franchises? We need to realize the no matter how much the Caps seem to hurt they are not the only ones and there are teams worse then us.

Posted by: icehammer97 | January 13, 2011 11:06 PM | Report abuse

BTW, I loved the "staged" bout between Shelley and Thornton tonight, 3 minutes into the game at center ice. A good fight set the tone early that BOTH TEAMS CAME TO PLAY! The Flyers and Bruins then settled in and scored 12 goals, with Shelly playing five minutes and Thornton six (w/an assist.)

DJK could be right there with Shelley and Thornton, and the electrical intensity that surged through TD Garden when the gloves dropped between the two heavies could happen in DC, too. The Flyers and Bruins, last I checked, are doing quite well in the standings and neither would even think of taking Shelley/Thornton out of the lineup.

DJK should get a legit shot to prove his merit, and who cares if guys like them try to manufacture some intensity? Most fans love it, as do many posters here. It's a shame that the organization has opted to deny the fanbase the one aspect that makes NHL hockey unique and the best sport on the planet.

Posted by: vermontcaps | January 13, 2011 11:23 PM | Report abuse

@icehammer97

I agree.

For all the talk about the great Flyers and how the Caps should try to be like them, since the Caps entered the NHL the Flyers have won ONE Stanley Cup and that was during the Caps inaugural season.

Since the 1986-1987 season, so a 24 year span, the mighty Flyers have been to two Stanley Cup Finals while the Caps have been to one. Each team lost in the Finals.

Posted by: sgm3 | January 13, 2011 11:23 PM | Report abuse

Some trades I advocated over the summer:

Flash and a #2 for Clutterbuck. That would have helped us.

Semin to Tampa for Downie and their #1 pick (was #6 overall - who did they pick? Would we have gotten a good player?

Re-sign Belanger.

Downie/Belanger/Clutterbuck would be a good #3 line, little bit of everything.

Sign Koivu. Honestly, he didn't want to come here, and MoJo has been OK so far. Not Koivu, but OK. Or, try and get Umberger for #2C. I still like that one.

Sign the Russian defenseman (using Semin's money). How's Volchenkov doing?

One thing I never, ever, ever would have done would be to have extended Poti. Wonder how much acid one has to drop to do that.

WWGT?

The day Neuvy re-upped, we here were unanimously in favor. When Poti re-signed, giving two more years with that injured groin, and the wasted cap space that goes with it (OK, it's all right now that he's going on LTIR), CI was near unanimously against.

Abe Lincoln had some quote about fooling all of the people some of the time and perhaps that has relevance here.

BTW, here's a trade, would you make it - Bruce Boudreau to Toronto for Ron Wilson.

Posted by: tominsocal1 | January 13, 2011 11:58 PM | Report abuse

Good points joek443 put earlier about Dino Ciccarelli and the cut up face. He'd be battling the Ugly Life Form and finally Ulfie would get fed up and cut Dino and take 5.

We loved 22 so much we named our cat Dino. And the cat turned out to be nasty too.

If the idiot who owned the team hadn't traded Dino and Courtnall and let Stevens walk...one? two? three Cups?

92...we beat the Pens. They never come back from 3-1 down if we have Stevens. 93. Forget the ugly crap with Hunter and Turgeon. Never happens. We win. 98. We beat the Wings. Ray Borque was great but Stevens was top D-man for the 90s.

Three Cups. Opportunity lost. Thanks, Abe Pollin.

Posted by: tominsocal1 | January 14, 2011 12:14 AM | Report abuse

One more thing, funny thing, we got five #1s from St Louis for Stevens. 91 was some left wing. Corriveau? I dunno...a bust. 92 was Gonchar and 93 was Witt. 94 we traded the pick and Mike Ridley to pick Nolan Baumgartner. I'll say this for David Poile - when he made a good move it was great and when a bad move it stunk (Dino for Kevin Miller). 95 was that noted power forward, Mikko Elomo.

Fast forward to 2011. Gonchar became ShaMo and the pick that became Schultz from Boston. Witt got traded to Nashville (David Poile) as a rental along with other really bad moves by Poile that year (Forsberg from Philly) for the pick that became Varlamov.

So we are still picking and eating fruit from the Scott Stevens tree, and he was a #1 pick (3 overall) in 1983. That reminds me of a really dumb pick, I think Poile, was it Veitch at #5 overall and then Edmonton with 6th pick took...Paul Coffey. That one hurt worse than John Slaney #9 overall in 1990. Poile did some good things but his history of 1st rounders might be worse than McPhee.

Posted by: tominsocal1 | January 14, 2011 12:24 AM | Report abuse

I haven't read the comments, but the Canucks this year is absolutely nothing like us last year. Just because you're the top scoring team and the top team in the league does not mean you are doing it the same way. Look at their GA, while also scoring the third most goals. Ridiculous.

Posted by: richmondphil2 | January 14, 2011 12:29 AM | Report abuse

@tom

Tampa surprised everyone by picking Brett Connolly earlier than he expected. They also picked one before Skinner.

Man, how did Carter Ashton go so late in 2009? Tampa got a real late first rounder gem there.

Posted by: richmondphil2 | January 14, 2011 12:35 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: kcbrichmond |

Deal! Steal her from the Kings/Preds.

Posted by: richmondphil2 | January 14, 2011 12:39 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: sgm3 |

Do you watch much Sens anymore? Phillips is pretty much done, in my opinion. He's too slow off the boards, and he just gets flat out beat too much now. Having Chara and Volchenkov as his last two partners certainly bolstered his efforts as well.

Schultz is pretty much a younger version of Phillips now. I'm not even the biggest Schultz fan, I just don't want Phillips here.

Posted by: richmondphil2 | January 14, 2011 12:42 AM | Report abuse

r-phil: I remember when I suggested that deal, there was supposed to be some really great D prospect projected at #6.

As for BB, if those are his quotes on the Canucks, and they are really that off base (given Vancouver high ranking on GA and PK), what does that say for BB judgment?

And if BB judgment is really that bad on something so simple...

phil - If you knew what you were talking about, you'd be in the game, no?

Posted by: tominsocal1 | January 14, 2011 12:44 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: sgm3

Fisher would be an awesome pick-up. If not the second line center, then he'll be the best bottom 6 forward we've had in a long time.

Posted by: richmondphil2 | January 14, 2011 12:46 AM | Report abuse

"Good morning, Mister Phelps. This man (picture of young man, smiling, one tooth missing), Alexander Ovechkin, was for five years the dominant force in the National Hockey League."

Over the last few months however his performance has turned from earth-shattering to mediocre; from jump-up-out-of-your-seat-and-scream to yawn; from blistering slapshots to whiffs."

Your mission, Jim, should you choose to accept it, is to go undercover as a Hockey Night in Canada reporter and find out the truth behind Ovechkin's sudden loss of explosiveness."

As always, should you or any member of your team be killed or captured, the commissioner will disavow any knowledge of your existence."

Dee-da-dee, da-dee-da-dee-dee, da-da-da-da-dee, da-dee-da-dee-da-dee-da-dee-da-dee, da-da-da-da-dee...

(Phelps drops 8 x 11 pictures of Operation Whiffgate on the table, those of his team: Katie, Tarik, Lindsay, Leonard Nimoy. They had a goon, too, forget his name. The guy who never spoke.)

"This tape, like Ovechkin's sticks and Tom Poti's groin, will self-destruct in five seconds."

Misssion: Impossible indeed.

Posted by: tominsocal1 | January 14, 2011 1:04 AM | Report abuse

Rhino40: You mentioned earlier today (yesterday for most of you), jokingly I'm sure, same as I have several times over the past few weeks, the concept that Ovi's lump could be tied to Rusian Mafia.

Maybe Mr Phelps can find out.

Seriously, we've all been watching this young man now since he broke in vs Columbus Oct, 2005. I've seen every game save maybe two or three. I first noticed on the 24/7 they'd come into the Caps locker between periods and he'd slump in his seat and not say a word. Not one word. He just sat there like a lost puppy except he didn't even whimper. Go back and look at episode 1 or 2 whichever where Knuble finally said something. The only time Ovi ever did anything was the fight in NY when he then exhorted the troops while en route to the box, "Fkn, fk, let's fkn fk get fkn."

Not exactly Churchill.

Ok, we've ALL been watching him now 5.5 years.

What the F is wrong with him? I'm half expecting like the Mission:Impossible skit above that he goes to the bench one time and unpeels a mask from his face and that instead of Ovechkin we've been really watching Maxim Afinogenov this year.

Maybe it IS the Russian Mafia and the real Ovechkin is being held captive! And he's been replaced by Maxim Afinogenov with a rubber mask! Can the Impossible Mission Crew save him? Katie? Please! Do it for your loyal readers!!!

This is enough to drive me to drink.

Posted by: tominsocal1 | January 14, 2011 1:23 AM | Report abuse

Like I said yesterday, they need to assign someone who can really investigate such as Bob Woodward to find out what's really been going on with Ovi this season.

Katie does a good job covering the team but she's not getting it done when it comes to finding out stuff like that. Maybe she knows but can't reveal anything lest her access be limited.

You know Woodward ain't gonna worry about any retributions to get the story. If Nixon',Ehrlichman,Haldeman or Liddy couldn't do anything to him, what could Leonsis, GMGM or BB do???

Posted by: joek443 | January 14, 2011 2:10 AM | Report abuse

With the injuries, what will be the roster moves. We know Boyd Gordon is back so Willsie was sent to Hershey. The question is ... did Willsie leave Florida before the team or was it a "paper" transaction.

I presume since neither Semin nor Poti will be available soon, they will be put on IR and, hence, there are two available roster slots. Would Willsie be "called" up again or will someone else be called instead or will they just remain under the roster limit? They could call up a d-man also.

Posted by: CapsFan75 | January 14, 2011 7:30 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: richmondphil2

Not really this year. But I've watched him before and especially liked how he played in last year's playoffs. He was a stud. However, if he really has regressed as much as you say then I'd be more hesitant.

Posted by: sgm3 | January 14, 2011 7:45 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: joek443

What if the honest answer is just "he isn't playing as well"? That wouldn't be much of a story to write.

Posted by: sgm3 | January 14, 2011 7:49 AM | Report abuse

Ovie has been slow to adjust his game now that the defense has figured out his moves. He is attempting to adjust & needs to keep trying. IMO once he adjusts, he will start scoring again. He also has had some really bad luck this year. He has 2 PP goals this season (both from the left circle if my memory serves). Please, please f-ing BB get f-ing Ovie off the f-ing point & move him back to the f-ing left wing on the PP...PLEASE (I'm still for f-ing firing BB).

Posted by: chriscaps | January 14, 2011 11:02 AM | Report abuse

-----------------

Corriveau was actually shaping up to be a real nice power forward type on Dale Hunter's wing. Then he stepped outside his comfort zone, picked a fight with Kris King, got his face rearranged, and was never the same player again.

Posted by: cstanton1 | January 14, 2011 11:29 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: sgm3

That's because its not a "story" at all. That's just the OUTCOME and RESULT. We all know he isn't playing as well. The story is WHY isn't he playing well. There are tangible reasons for it. The planets didn't suddenly align themselves to somehow cause Ovechkin's game to simply fall off the table.

Posted by: cstanton1 | January 14, 2011 11:32 AM | Report abuse