Varlamov day to day, Caps recall Neuvirth

Goalie Semyon Varlamov, who has a history of lower-body injuries, is hurt again and the Caps are listing him as "day to day." The team has recalled 21-year-old Michal Neuvirth from Hershey.

Tarik will have more after the morning skate in Buffalo.

Twitter updates:

*Bruce Boudreau said he hopes Semyon Varlamov will skate Friday and play Saturday in Toronto.

*Matt Bradley did not travel to Buffalo, according to a team spokesman.

*Semyon Varlamov's injury is a groin strain that he suffered late in the Tampa game, I'm told.

*Mathieu Perreault has food poisoning and is questionable for tonight's game.

By Lindsay Applebaum  |  December 9, 2009; 10:31 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: D.C. sports: Best of the decade
Next: Varlamov out with a groin muscle strain

Comments

Wonderful.

Can we get a tally of man games lost this season? Maybe you all can cheer us up by reminding us of how the team has shown an ability to perservere through injuries to key players...

Posted by: aybee27 | December 9, 2009 10:45 AM | Report abuse

Well, this explaind Holtby moving from SC to Hershey.

BTW, where does it end? I mean, there isn't an endless stream of goalies. Who replaces Holtby in SC?

Posted by: tominfl1 | December 9, 2009 10:46 AM | Report abuse

I was wondering why Hershey recalled Holtby. Now I know, dagnabit.

Posted by: uncatim | December 9, 2009 10:46 AM | Report abuse

Perhaps Stretch is dusting off his sweater.

Posted by: CapsChick | December 9, 2009 10:48 AM | Report abuse

Good thing Theo's playing so well. It'll be nice to see Neuvy again (and I'm sure rachel216 is thrilled), but I sure hope Varly's a quick healer.

I expect a tight game tonight. Let's go, Caps!!!

Posted by: wocoliz | December 9, 2009 10:51 AM | Report abuse

Hopefully we'll at least get Knuble back tonight

Posted by: jdog79 | December 9, 2009 10:53 AM | Report abuse

So far, Todd Ford is the only other goalie listed on the Stingrays roster.

Posted by: uncatim | December 9, 2009 10:54 AM | Report abuse

Well that stinks. Like, I mean, super-stinks.

Posted by: TotallyTacos | December 9, 2009 10:54 AM | Report abuse

Nice having the Varly/Theo combo for times like this. And hey, I feel pretty confident with Nuevy being called up as well. Let's show up Miller tonight!

Posted by: gonchpup | December 9, 2009 10:56 AM | Report abuse

@timleone -
Thanks for breaking the Varly story last night. You get 'first' bragging rights.

Posted by: beeman | December 9, 2009 10:57 AM | Report abuse

Tarik per twitter:

Posted by: uncatim | December 9, 2009 11:02 AM | Report abuse

Ok so it's a given that Theo is in net tonight but what about this weekend? We have back-to-back games on Friday and Saturday. Does Neuvy get one of those?

We play the Canes in DC and then play in Toronto. I would say let Neuvy play against the Canes.

Posted by: pkendrick | December 9, 2009 11:04 AM | Report abuse

Wow Lindsay, you're quick!

Posted by: uncatim | December 9, 2009 11:04 AM | Report abuse

Ok well thanks for making my question obselete uncatim.

Posted by: pkendrick | December 9, 2009 11:05 AM | Report abuse

Just because Coach BB hopes something doesn't make it true. Ask him what he hopes about Nylander.

Posted by: uncatim | December 9, 2009 11:07 AM | Report abuse

ugggh
buffalo right when they remember how to score goals...this game is going to be a lot tougher than the last one...

Posted by: cotelloer | December 9, 2009 11:07 AM | Report abuse

Sorry if I'm late to the party on this one, but wrt the Professor being out, is he listed on the injury report as

"Bradley (childbirth)"
or maybe
"Bradley (lower body)"

Posted by: jhorstma | December 9, 2009 11:15 AM | Report abuse

Bradley (diaper duty)

Posted by: Lindsay_Applebaum | December 9, 2009 11:18 AM | Report abuse

I like watching Varly more than any other Cap. Theo is just boring.

Posted by: butcherbaker | December 9, 2009 11:20 AM | Report abuse

@uncatim
(bitter lol about Nyls)
Thanks for all the info!

Posted by: wocoliz | December 9, 2009 11:21 AM | Report abuse

@Lindsay
Great description for Bradley!

Thanks for a great morning roundup and all these timely updates.

Posted by: wocoliz | December 9, 2009 11:24 AM | Report abuse

Keep it up Theo!

Posted by: Sonyask | December 9, 2009 11:28 AM | Report abuse

Winless in their last five, including new head coach Peter Laviolette's first two games, the Philadelphia Flyers would welcome any sort of lucky break to end their current slide. As we touched on in the headlines, they came close to getting that break when New York Islanders defenseman Brendan Witt(notes) was hit by a Yukon in Philadelphia while on his way to Starbucks this morning.

The truck was making an illegal left turn and Witt jumped and slid across the hood before hitting the pavement. Witt brushed himself off and reassured the crowd who'd begun to gather around him by whipping out his credentials: "I've got to go play some hockey. I'm a hockey player. I'm OK. No big deal." After almost being scratched for tonight's game against the Flyers, Witt did end up making it to Starbucks and grabbing a latte.

Posted by: joek443 | December 9, 2009 11:33 AM | Report abuse

One man who witnessed the chain of events from Starbucks couldn’t believe he saw the 34-year-old Humboldt, Saskatchewan, native walk away from the incident virtually unscathed.

"Boy, that guy is tough," he said. "It was like seeing Clint Eastwood, but in hockey."

Posted by: joek443 | December 9, 2009 11:37 AM | Report abuse

CapsChick wrote:
Perhaps Stretch is dusting off his sweater.

I thought the same thing. Stretch-O!

Hope Varly's recovery is as quick as they seem to think. Also hope he/they doesn't rush his return to action...

Posted by: BigRed8 | December 9, 2009 11:43 AM | Report abuse

ugggh

Posted by: cotelloer | December 9, 2009 11:07 AM |

Umm..didn't they get shutout last game?

Posted by: richmondphil | December 9, 2009 11:47 AM | Report abuse

Oh no no no no!!! I was comforted by the thought that we had Varly to counter Ryan Miller. Let's see which Theo shows up tonight. I hope it is the good goalie Theo and not the inconsistent, unfocused one.

Posted by: caraveli | December 9, 2009 12:08 PM | Report abuse

bradley - out/sleep deprivation/listed as month-to-month

if ovie is the russian machine that never breaks, is varly the russian tea set?

Posted by: dcsportsfan1 | December 9, 2009 12:12 PM | Report abuse

Dang it. The pessimist in me is finding it hard not to think this is because we (the Caps collective) and the national media got a little too amped up over the Caps having the best record in the NHL right now.

It's Karma laying the existential smack down on the DC sports fan for attempting to rise above their station.

Big game, big chance for Theo to assert himself. Let's go Caps!

Posted by: RicketyCricket | December 9, 2009 12:13 PM | Report abuse

TSNBobMcKenzie

Washington puts Michael Nylander on waivers again...cue the "he's going to Russia" stories...again. Not even going there on this one!

Posted by: jmhall1 | December 9, 2009 12:30 PM | Report abuse

I can pinpoint when Varly got hurt. Actually only because Craig L made a point of saying..."uh-oh, I don't like the way Varly looked getting up there." It was right after one of the lightning players crashed the net and slid right into Varly. I think it might have been Downie. Anyhow, we never got to see how Varly looked when he got up because the camera wasn't on him anymore. Does anyone else remember Laugher making the comment?

Posted by: fanohock1 | December 9, 2009 12:45 PM | Report abuse

that story about Witt is pretty neat. Shows what a caffine addiction will do to you.

Posted by: superpaqman | December 9, 2009 12:46 PM | Report abuse

At least we have 2 other stellar goalies (for the moment) to pick up the slack. "if ovie is the russian machine that never breaks, is varly the russian tea set?" - LOL

Posted by: futbolclif | December 9, 2009 12:53 PM | Report abuse

Maybe Nylander is finally being moved. I swear I read something that an NHLer couldn't be moved to the KHL until 30 days after they initially cleared waivers 1st time around. Well, today is 30 days.

Posted by: fanohock1 | December 9, 2009 12:59 PM | Report abuse

for the love of God, let Nylander go to the Islanders...they are playing better and making the playoffs would be huge..let Nyls set some kids up and teach Tevares how to circle.

Posted by: SA-Town | December 9, 2009 12:59 PM | Report abuse

also on Varly, there is no reason for any of our goalies to play if they are not 100%...we have depth and a nice spot in the standings...cant afford a small injury to get worse..

Posted by: SA-Town | December 9, 2009 1:01 PM | Report abuse

I hope the Caps are in Buffalo at a hotel near the stadium. They are expecting a big storm there today/tonight. Again, lets hope the Caps get out of town tonite.

Posted by: daddy_axe | December 9, 2009 1:05 PM | Report abuse

@fanhock1

Yes, I remember seeing that and hearing that play. I would imagine if it was really bad, he would have come out of the game.

Like SA-Town said, let;s take advantage of the goalie depth while we have it.

Posted by: CTCapsPhan | December 9, 2009 1:07 PM | Report abuse

@fanohock1: It was when Malone slid into Varly. I didn't like the look of it before Varly even got up.

Posted by: swags | December 9, 2009 1:07 PM | Report abuse

I remember Valry getting up a bit tentaively after he made a save...but he kept playing...did this happen against Lightning or durring the morning skate?

Posted by: capscoach | December 9, 2009 1:10 PM | Report abuse

swags: Yup, you're right it was Malone.

Posted by: fanohock1 | December 9, 2009 1:10 PM | Report abuse

@fanohock1 I think that the rule is if he is not moved in the first 30 days he has to pass through wavers again. Basically it means that once you put a guy through wavers you have 30 days to get the deal done. They didn't so they have to start over again. I don't think this means that he is about to be moved I think it is just they reached the 30 day limit to make a move.

Posted by: icehammer97 | December 9, 2009 1:14 PM | Report abuse

Will Knubble be playing tonight at least?

Posted by: caraveli | December 9, 2009 1:16 PM | Report abuse

If Nyls stays in the NHL I hope he goes to the west. For some reason I'm thinking he's KHL bound though because he's not on re-entry waivers so nobody in the NHL is going to pick him up for 1/2 his salary. If a team in the NHL wanted him, they would have snagged him already. There are less injuries at forward in the NHL than there were when he cleared waivers last time so the need for a fill-in center due to injury has not grown in the last month.

Posted by: fanohock1 | December 9, 2009 1:16 PM | Report abuse

I thought with Nylander he could only move to the KHL if he had cleared waivers within the last 30 days. My guess is they'll keep waiving him every 30 days until someone eventually figures he's worth the remaining money. At this point, from a standpoint of cash outlay, he's due roughly 63.5% of $5.5M this year and then the full $3M for next year. They'll waive him again Jan 8th and then again in the latter part of Feb.

Posted by: tominfl1 | December 9, 2009 1:17 PM | Report abuse

Latest Twitter update courtesy of Lindsay:

*Mathieu Perreault has food poisoning and is questionable for tonight's game.

To quote ChickenLittleCapsFan, OH NO!!!!!!!!!!!

3rd and 4th line configurations now?

Posted by: wocoliz | December 9, 2009 1:19 PM | Report abuse

*Mathieu Perreault has food poisoning and is questionable for tonight's game.

To quote ChickenLittleCapsFan, OH NO!!!!!!!!!!!

Why, did Matty eat chicken?

Posted by: tominfl1 | December 9, 2009 1:25 PM | Report abuse

@tominfl1
Oops. Should have used quotes around the twitter post for clarity.

*"Mathieu Perreault has food poisoning and is questionable for tonight's game."

The OH NO was mine because I was hoping he and the rest of the team would be feasting on buffalo tonight.

Posted by: wocoliz | December 9, 2009 1:34 PM | Report abuse

@ wocoliz:

... feasting on buffalo tonight ...

Hmm, buffalo has as many home losses as Boston or New Jersey or ...

Posted by: FCKoeln1 | December 9, 2009 2:04 PM | Report abuse