Varlamov expected to start in Montreal

Sorry for the delay, but I had to write my daily story for tomorrow's Post first. It's on Semyon Varlamov, who has been lights out the past two weeks after a bit of a rocky start.

Varlamov, by the way, is expected to get the nod tomorrow at Bell Centre, which, of course, is where it all started for him almost one year ago.

Anyway, here's a rundown of the injuries and some other notes:

*Alexandre Giroux was called up to replace Tyler Sloan, who returned to Calgary to attend a funeral. Coach Bruce Boudreau said he expects Sloan to meet the team in Carolina on Sunday.

"Somebody very important to him passed," Boudreau said. "He thought it was very important that he attend. We're into that family first thing, so that's important."

*Alexander Semin returned to the ice ...but he only skated with the other injured players after the team practice. He was not wearing the hard brace on his right wrist, though he also did not appear all that close to returning.

"I don't know," Boudreau said. "I don't think he's going to play [Saturday or Monday]. If I were guessing man, I'm hoping for Thursday's game."

Semin skated with Quintin Laing (broken jaw) and Mike Knuble (broken finger).

*Tom Poti, who suffered a chest bruise Nov. 20th against Montreal, did not skate again. No sign of Boyd Gordon (sore back), either.

"He's just still sore," Boudreau said of Poti. "When you get into the upper bpody and chest and stuff, those injuries take a lot longer."

*Defenseman Shaone Morrisonn (concussion) practiced with the team but doesn't expect to play tomorrow.

"I took two days off and I feel a little better," Morrisonn said. "But I don't want to rush it. We're going to see how I react, how I feel tonight."

*With Morrisonn out, Karl Alzner is guaranteed of at least one more game in Washington. But if he has another performance like he did against Buffalo - Boudreau called it "superb" - well, who knows what's going to happen.

"Anytime someone gets called up, the first game is usually their best because they are so jacked up for it," Boudreau said. "We hope he can keep it up tomorrow."

*Mike Green was limited to 20 minutes of practice today because he's been playing so many minutes in recent games, Boudreau said.

*Dummondville, Quebec native Mathieu Perreault has purchased 17 tickets to tomorrow's game for family members. In all, he expects 40 friends and family members to be in attendance for his first game near his hometown.

Perreault said his favorite Canadiens player growing up was Saku Koivu because he was also on the small side. (It's a good thing Jose Theodore had already left the locker room).

By Tarik El-Bashir  |  November 27, 2009; 3:36 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Giroux recalled, on top line
Next: Ovechkin on Montreal: 'You don't need to drink Red Bull'

Comments

New and FIRST!!!!

Posted by: scropion | November 27, 2009 3:41 PM | Report abuse

It's good to see Semin skating again. Even if just with the injured players. He's got to start somewhere.

I did see him taking some shots and trying to manipulate his stick.

Poor Sloan! My condolences to him for his deceased family member (I presume).

I hope Giroux has a good day tomorrow in Montreal.

Perreault will now have a whole section rooting for him. (Rocking the red for our "little rock", so to speak, as Perreault is from the name Pierre, the French form of Peter, which means 'rock').

Posted by: CapsFan75 | November 27, 2009 4:04 PM | Report abuse

Let's not forget Alzner. Hope he has just as strong of a second game. Happy that Perreault has his extended family coming--hope his play is equally exciting on the ice. Good luck to all of the rookies.

Posted by: Capsyoungguns | November 27, 2009 4:24 PM | Report abuse

Speaking of Varly, we just ordered a road jersey and picked Varly over Backie at request of daughter.

Sorry, Backie.

$194.99 with shipping/tax from River City Sports in Winnipeg, where they said, surprisingly, "No snow yet this year."

Posted by: tominfl1 | November 27, 2009 4:30 PM | Report abuse

Knowing that not many care as much as I do being a Islanders/Capitals split loyalty fan. But thought you all should enjoy the loss by Brent Johnson and the Penguins.

The Islanders win! In regulation! The JT91 virus strikes the Penguins down. What a game.

Tavares is also only 3 points behind Crosby. I would love to see Tavares finish with more points than Crosby.

Isles move back to the 8th spot too I believe. At least for a moment.

The eastern conference has 13 of 15 teams contending and the west has 13 of 15. Great season so far as long as the Olympics don't kill the momentum.

Posted by: lornemyoung | November 27, 2009 4:47 PM | Report abuse

@lornemyoung

The Isles are much improved this year. I fear the Caps meeting them in the playoffs this year. (I'm an old Islanders hater from way back.)

Still, it was funny to see them beat Pittsburgh. (At the moment, I root for ANY other team against Pittsburgh, regardless of circumstance.)

Posted by: CapsFan75 | November 27, 2009 5:16 PM | Report abuse

Are we FIOS customers in Anne Arundel County out of luck again tomorrow for watching the Caps. I'm assuming it is on CSN+ again. HNIC should not ever be bumped for the Wizards. That is hockey blasphemy.

On my previous thought, as an Islanders native that moved here in December of 1999, the Capitals grew on us. I hated them strongly from 1993 until 2000. Of course because of #32. Now I just hate one Capital. Always will. I have one of Turgeon's sticks from that game up on the wall at home. I wonder if #32 would sign it. Though I can't even bring myself to say his name.

Posted by: lornemyoung | November 27, 2009 5:28 PM | Report abuse

@lornemyoung

The game tomorrow is being broadcast in the US by NHL network, and if you don't have FIOS+, it might not be blacked out in your area.

Posted by: stabes_ | November 27, 2009 5:49 PM | Report abuse

Hey Lorne: can you get the NHL Network? The game should be on that channel. I show it tomorrow night ch 109 std def and 1009 high def. Although I get Center Ice, the games on NHL Net (Thursday at 7 and Sat at 7 they put one) do not come on the Center Ice. You have to also buy the extra channels that come in a package with NHL Net, NBA Net, YES, college football CBSC Net, etc. The good thing is these games are high def and also on Sat night I will get the HNiC broadcast with Ron MacLane, Don Cherry, Kelly Hrudey I think and all that gang.

I know my cable company will give me this channel one day at a time if I want (at $3.99/month, that's 13 cents a day) so maybe you can get that channel w/o blackout since it isn't on anyway. Call them and report back if you would cuz maybe others could do this.

And, if the cable company says they won't help, tell them failure to assist you means they are sent to the Doofus Brigade.

Posted by: tominfl1 | November 27, 2009 6:04 PM | Report abuse

Thoughts and prayers to Tyler Sloan. Best of luck to all the Hershey boys donning Capitals jerseys on Saturday night. Let's Go Caps!!!

Posted by: CapsFan921 | November 27, 2009 6:32 PM | Report abuse

@lornemyoung

People have very polarized opinions on Dale Hunter. They either love him or hate him. BTW, he's actually now a pretty good coach in junior hockey these days.

Probably lifetime, two of the Caps who've had a lot of venom directed at them include Hunter and another player who's name means "hunter" in another language; i.e. Jagr. (I assume it's the Czech or Slovak variation of the German name "Jaeger" which means, "hunter".)

Posted by: CapsFan75 | November 27, 2009 6:34 PM | Report abuse

Did anyone else go shopping? Being to cold to go to the beach (Sunday will be OK at 75) and no Caps on I did my part for the economy - just over $100 at Beall's with those Beall ringer thingys and now I get $20 in Beall's Bucks to use on Monday; then I ordered the Varlamov jersey from the place in Winnipeg; finally, two BF Goodrich tires for mrstominfl1's souped up 360 hp 99 Z28. The tires ain't cheap so that adds up to a grand total of $650, not incl grocery.

Since you guys are in DC, please tell the President if you see him at the game or at the mall or wherever that tominfl1 is doing his part.

You know, if I were President, you can bet every penny you have that I'd be in Montreal tomorrow night to "visit" the Canadian PM. And I'd invite the Russian President since I'd be wearing Ovechkin jersey. Also bring Swedish PM so we could watch Backie.

In fact, if I were President, it would be like a UN parade of heads of state, following hockey teams around and negotiating in between periods.

One thing every world leader would agree on - Don Cherry has awful taste in clothes.

Posted by: tominfl1 | November 27, 2009 6:35 PM | Report abuse

Usually if the game is on NHL Network and also (as the listings show) CSN+, then NHL Network is blacked out due to local broadcasting rights. I do get NHL Network, but it will most likely be blacked out. So, I'll have to engage in some questionable legalities and watch a stream of the game.

Speaking of questionable legalities, I do not understand local broadcasting rights in this case at all. CSN has the local rights, but has bumped the game to CSN+. NHL Network will likely be blacked out. However, CSN+ is not available on Verizon Fios in Anne Arundel County and some other places. I blame this on Comcast for being mad at us all for signing up with FIOS for much less money. Hey, they had their chance to match. Anyway, CSN has the local broadcast rights, but bumps the game to a channel that is not available locally for a large portion of the market. I wish that action waived local rights, but it does not. Furthermore, I pay for the Center Ice package and ALL Capitals games are blacked out on there. The Capitals are also blacked out on Yahoo when they are streamed there. So, the only ways to see the Caps on CSN+ are go back to Comcast (expensive and terrible customer service), make friends with people that have Comcast (not likely as they are in the same economy as us and Comcast isn't interested in competing with Verizon's fairer pricing), go to a pub (not with two kids), or steal a stream.

I've e-mailed the Caps, Comcast, and Verizon about this. I've called Verizon and Comcast. Each to some degree blame it on the Olympics and say it will be better next year because the Capitals will match up with the Wizards less. No offense to any lurking Zards, but are there really more Wizards fans than Capitals fans?

And now I feel better for bit... er griping. Thaks all.

Posted by: lornemyoung | November 27, 2009 6:42 PM | Report abuse

@tominfl1

No shopping for me today. I generally avoid the mall on the day after Thanksgiving. It's just too crazy. Plus I have no idea what anyone wants anyhow.

I caught a practice at Kettler. Noticed Giroux ("rooster") on the top line. Also noticed Clark on the 3rd line. Other lines remainded the same as they've been.

Our "wounded warriors" (Laing, Semin, Knuble) skated after practice and were still skating after I finally left. Laing and Semin were wearing the orange "no contact" jerseys while Knuble was wearing the 4th line white jersey. Semin was attempting shots and making attempts to move his stick with his wrist.

Posted by: CapsFan75 | November 27, 2009 6:46 PM | Report abuse

And, decades later, historians would marvel at the way President tominfl1 ran the country with "Ice Rink Diplomacy."

In fact, a panel of historians would have convened to discuss the greatest Presidents of all time and the panel would announce that tominfl1 was one of the two greatest Presidents ever named "Tom."

"I'll never forget how he walked into the Senate chamber and grabbed the microphone and gave that one senator, who was doing a filibuster, 'two minutes for obstruction,'" said one panel member.

"And you have to respect a guy," said another panel member, "who lost his bid for re-election when he aliented the entire state of Pennsylvania because he kept saying 'Filthydelphia' and because he said Pittsburgh smelled worse than when the toilet back up in the White House."

"And what about the time he and the French premier got drunk on red Bordeaux and went downtown and..."

We can leave some of these stories for later.

Posted by: tominfl1 | November 27, 2009 6:49 PM | Report abuse

Did anyone hear the news of today's Buffalo-Philthy game? Buffalo won but the big news was that Kaleta got a 5 minute major for boarding AND a game misconduct. Yes, the same Kaleta that Ovi did his recent "dirty deed" against.

I'm feeling a little schadenfreude here.

Posted by: CapsFan75 | November 27, 2009 6:53 PM | Report abuse

Lorne: When I am elected President, there will be a chicken in every pot and a Caps game on every TV set.

Posted by: tominfl1 | November 27, 2009 6:54 PM | Report abuse

@ lornemyoung

at least Huntz didn't break Turgeon's leg like Potvin did to Gussy.

Posted by: joek443 | November 27, 2009 7:02 PM | Report abuse

Here is an article about Ovie and Crosby and the 2010 Olympics...I hope the link works!

It gives a good break down of their career stats both in the NHL and internationally, if that's what you like...
There is also a documentary on both players airing in 2 parts, the first part which airs at 4pt/7et on Saturday...this is the corresponding link

ps: I think they need to fix the Russian flag! ;)

Posted by: hockeyfan8 | November 27, 2009 7:08 PM | Report abuse

Well, one item this article didn't cover, in their comparison, was "Which player has lips that look most like a girl?"

cnn.Money reports today that, across the SW PA region, "Cindy #89 Deep Ruby Red" was the top seller in lipstick sales.

"If he can wear it, so can I," said one 14-year-old, seen buying a case.

In a related story, Mario Lemieux was reportedly in hot water on the home front after coming up the steps from the basement, in his estate, with lipstick on his collar.

Is Evgeny Malkin jealous?

Tune in tomorrow as Oprah reports.

Posted by: tominfl1 | November 27, 2009 7:23 PM | Report abuse

@tominfl1

Chicken in every pot and Caps game on every TV sounds like a great thing to do(for when you become president).

Posted by: CapsFan75 | November 27, 2009 7:28 PM | Report abuse

Lorne you talk an awful lot:) Hunter, thats his name spell it H-u-n-t-e-r now lets say it... Hunter.Breath.. Dont you feel better now? Haha. One of the greatest Caps ever...

Posted by: washingtoncapitals | November 27, 2009 7:33 PM | Report abuse

After Jose went out to re-focus, Varly has been 1.75 GAA .942% save while 2-0-2(so 6 or 8 possible points garnered and a 1.5 ppg average) and a SO

these last 2 weeks he has indeed been lights out.

Posted by: breaklance | November 27, 2009 7:47 PM | Report abuse

I have to say that this lipstick controversy has quickly developed a life of its own. In addition to Oprah's interest, Don Cherry will reportedly, for tomorrow night's HNiC telecast, try to match his outfit to Cindy's #89 Deep-Ruby Red, which is, by far, the top Black Friday seller in the three rivers region.

TSN is now reporting that the Staal boys will be marketing a lipstick of their own.

Meanwhile, when asked for a comment, Washington Capitals star and two-time, reigning Hart Trophy champion, Alex Ovechkin, said, "I don't sell lipstick. I just shoot puck."

Posted by: tominfl1 | November 27, 2009 7:55 PM | Report abuse

@ CapsFan75

You must have failed French. "Peter" means "Fart"

Rock is Rocher

Posted by: griz0615 | November 27, 2009 7:56 PM | Report abuse

@joek443
at least Huntz didn't break Turgeon's leg like Potvin did to Gussy.-

agreed. Fortunately it didn't result in "serious injury". Never want to see someone get hurt. Not even players I don't like. I don't think Potvin had intent to injure as well and at least that one was during actual game play.

@washingtoncapitals- I know who you are and I'll say it just for you. Hunter... Hunter... Trent Hunter. There. I did it.

Posted by: lornemyoung | November 27, 2009 8:29 PM | Report abuse

What have you all been smoking!! An especially surreal thread with a particularly disturbing image of Crosby, Mario, lipstick, and a basement. LOL

Posted by: Capsyoungguns | November 27, 2009 8:34 PM | Report abuse

Just kidding Lorne.Turegon was the man too.
Go Islanders

Posted by: washingtoncapitals | November 27, 2009 8:35 PM | Report abuse

@lorne - As I recall, the Potvin hit on Gus was absolutely intentional. I can't read his mind, but visually it appeared outrageous. In subsequent interviews Potvin expressed no remorse. As far as no "serious injury," didn't that end Gus' career in North America?

Posted by: zmega | November 27, 2009 8:46 PM | Report abuse

I was refering to Turgeon not having a serious injury. He came back in the next playoff series. Gustaffson of course did have serious injury.

I'm not interested in defending Potvin here as I try to be a Capitals and an Islanders fan. Its something that can never be agreed upon.

As for tomorrow, Varly is undefeated against the Habs. I feel good about this one.

Posted by: lornemyoung | November 27, 2009 9:13 PM | Report abuse

lorne: You are skating on very, very, very thin ice. So thin that if you press your thumb and forefinger together really hard so that your fingers hurt and then you look for space in between kinda thin.

This is how much ice you have to skate on to try and avoid being in H Company of the DB for those egregious comments about Dale Hunter.

Let me tell you that each morning as I depart my bedroom and walk through the Shrine (they told us it was a living room when we bought the house) and I observe with reverence the jerseys that hang there - 12, 32, 77, 8, 52 and 90 - I cannot help but feel an extra set of goose pimples on top the others when I notice the 32 with the "C."

To come on here and talk down Dale Hunter - well, you might as well stroll into the Vatican and say that St. Peter was a gossip and that St. Paul was just a reporter.

Lorne, I know you don't mean anything bad, and I really know you are a good fan of the current Caps, so I'm going to offer you a chance to confess your sins and absolve yourself of any transgressions, either real or imagined.

Just say three Hail Greens and one Our Ovechkin and you will be forgiven.

Watch hockey in peace, my son.

Posted by: tominfl1 | November 27, 2009 9:39 PM | Report abuse

@ lornemyoung

I don't think Potvin intend to hurt Gussy either. Ron Weber who did every Caps game on the radio from Game 1974 to till he was let go before the team moved to then MCI center said when the unfortunate incident happened that Potvin was just built like a rock. He was very upset at first because Gussy was his favorite player but after he calmed down, he refused to lay the blame on Potvin.

Posted by: joek443 | November 27, 2009 9:49 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: lornemyoung | November 27, 2009 8:29 PM |

Haha!!!

I laughed hard.

Posted by: richmondphil | November 27, 2009 10:26 PM | Report abuse

I've spent my evening Christmas shopping online while listening to the Bears pound the Adirondack Phantoms 5-1. Goals by Andrew Gordon, Kyle Wilson, Boyd Kane (2) and Michael Dubuc [ECHLer called up to replace Giroux]. Neuvy was in goal with 20 saves. Bears went 1 for 3 on the power play plus Kane scored a shorty. Now a long bus ride to Hershey for both teams and they'll do it all again tomorrow night at Giant Center.

Shopping was successful as well...Caps gear for family and friends (and myself).

Tom, I'll vote for you for President if you promise to pass a law of no Christmas lights or holiday music before Thanksgiving.

Posted by: tess2201 | November 27, 2009 10:30 PM | Report abuse

@lornemyoung

Rooting for both the Islanders and Caps is like rooting for both the NY Yankees and the Orioles in baseball. Two bitter rivals. Wait, I actually know a family in that situation. The parents had grown up in NY but moved to Reston after college graduation and got Orioles season tickets.

Posted by: CapsFan75 | November 27, 2009 10:47 PM | Report abuse

@richmondphil- The owner or the washingtoncapitals screenname on here and I do indeed know each other. We are co-workers and very nearly neighbors. So to avoid any perception that any threats were real, they were not. There is no real confrontation. I do know who he is.

Green is great. Ovi is Ovi. He is his own adjective. Not like Manny being Manny. I mean in a good way. Ovi does remind me a lot of Mike Bossy though. Does that work for Tom In Florida? I do think the "thin ice" comments directed my way were a bit overboard. I never attacked anyone's character. Just have my own dislikes because of my past. I hide nothing here and enjoy the discussions.

I did try to change the subject by stating that Varly is undefeated againt the Habs.

Posted by: lornemyoung | November 27, 2009 10:58 PM | Report abuse

@griz0615

Yes, "rock" is roche in French.

French was not my strong suit in HS. I stopped after 3 years figuring that the 3rd year was getting too hard.

On the whole "Peter is rock" thing, I've heard that biblical story an awful lot. "Thou art Peter, the rock, and upon this rock, I will build this church."

Still, the name Perreault was derived from Pierre, the French form of Peter.

In honor of the fact the Caps play Montreal tomorrow in Montreal, here's our statement of the day:

"Les Capitales de Washington balanceront le rouge demain."

Posted by: CapsFan75 | November 27, 2009 11:00 PM | Report abuse

Capsfan75? Hey. How'd you know I root for both the Yankees and the Mets.

You aren't my neighbor are you?

Posted by: lornemyoung | November 27, 2009 11:03 PM | Report abuse

@ joek - I don't think that this is a matter that can be proven one way or the other after all these years. But Potvin being a "rock" is irrelevant. He stuck his leg way out to catch Gus on his leg. The rest of the game was a series of fights initiated by the Caps. After the game, Potvin laughed and said that he had new respect for the Caps because they stuck up for Gus (apparently he previously didn't think they had it in them). You will never convince me that he is anything but a really bad guy. He was on Comcast a while ago and Craig Laughlin didn't attempt to hide his contempt for the man.

Posted by: zmega | November 27, 2009 11:10 PM | Report abuse

@lornemyoung

I've known plenty of people who've rooted for both the Yankees & Mets so you're not alone in that department. They're in different leagues. In the 70's and 80's, rooting for the Yankees and Orioles just wasn't done. But now the O's haven't been too good.

Do you live in Reston by some chance?

Posted by: CapsFan75 | November 27, 2009 11:39 PM | Report abuse

Nah. I'm in the Burnie

Posted by: lornemyoung | November 27, 2009 11:45 PM | Report abuse

@lornemyoung

As in Glen Burnie, MD?

Posted by: CapsFan75 | November 27, 2009 11:55 PM | Report abuse

Still, the name Perreault was derived from Pierre, the French form of Peter.

Posted by: CapsFan75 | November 27, 2009 11:00 PM |

Pierre does in fact mean stone or rock in French. It is the derivative of the name. Roche is usually moreso translated as boulder or simply rock.

Posted by: richmondphil | November 28, 2009 2:36 AM | Report abuse

@CapsFan75 and Richmondphil:

Regarding Pierre, here are some picture of "peter"

Posted by: FCKoeln1 | November 28, 2009 5:09 AM | Report abuse

lorne: Of course, it was all in jest.

No, Ovi and Bossy two different players for me. Bossy I thought more in LaFleur mold. Ovi more in Gordie Howe mold.

Posted by: tominfl1 | November 28, 2009 5:20 AM | Report abuse

lorne: BTW, I apologize if sometimes it's hard to tell if I'm being serious.

The answer is I'm almost never serious.

I do really and honestly have Dale Hunter's jersey hanging in the living room, and mrstominfl1 knows enough not to touch it.

Posted by: tominfl1 | November 28, 2009 5:39 AM | Report abuse

@ Isle transplant....well i know that hit by Hunter was a border line hit...Turgeon was a soft player anyway....but Hunter was such of more of a player then that one play or being a tough player. (i know i am biased)

That goal he scored game 7 against Hextal on breakaway....was and still is the best play in history of CAPS..especially for a team which has it's share of losing 2-0 or 3-1 leads in playoffs, coming back against Patrick Division rivals was great.

Have a great day everyone!

Posted by: hunter32 | November 28, 2009 6:27 AM | Report abuse

My husband who grew up in the New York area hates the Yankees and loves the Mets. The Mets are his first team--always always and always.

Posted by: Capsyoungguns | November 28, 2009 7:35 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Capsyoungguns | November 28, 2009 7:35 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Capsyoungguns | November 28, 2009 7:35 AM | Report abuse

I swear I hit the submit only once!

Posted by: Capsyoungguns | November 28, 2009 7:36 AM | Report abuse

@lornemyoung
"My son is in the Orioles kids club too. Frankly its easy to root for all three. The Yanks and Mets are in different leagues and the O's are a threat to no one except for some reason the National Anthem at Verizon Center."

Post of the week!
And, Tom in Fl certainly has my vote-if not for pres then definitely for next writer on SNL.

Finally, who said Jagr was a Cap? He certainly never PLAYED for the Caps.

Posted by: bluejeener1 | November 28, 2009 8:31 AM | Report abuse

@bluejeener1
"Finally, who said Jagr was a Cap? He certainly never PLAYED for the Caps."

AMEN to that!!! I thought getting Jagr was one of the worst moves ever. A total waste of $$. He NEVER performed for us. I especially hate it because my kids' last name is a form of the same name. Other hockey people who see them on the ice during their games pronounce it the same way as Jagr when it's not. And then I scowl.

Posted by: Steakum | November 28, 2009 8:51 AM | Report abuse

@capsfan75

If he continues to play well we'll call him a rock, but if he stinks up the joint, we can call him by the French maning of peter.

Pierre may mean rock, but peter is "to fart" hahaha.

Posted by: griz0615 | November 28, 2009 8:51 AM | Report abuse

Was that first game for Varly in Montreal the one where Ovi did that fabulous spinning shot to himself off the boards followed by a sliding goal? So doesn't Knuble need just one more week until he returns. Gotta be happy for Perreault, not only has he actually gotten all the way to the NHL but he's been a decent contributor on a top team, although he hasn't had a point in few games now. Probably due tonight.

Sure hope we see Semin next week, Knuble, shortly after that too.

Posted by: rjma1 | November 28, 2009 8:59 AM | Report abuse

Re Knuble's return, I think he said Dec. 9 against Buffalo due to his placement on LTIR, although he might physically be ready before then.

Posted by: Steakum | November 28, 2009 9:09 AM | Report abuse

rjma1: I think the Ovi fabulous spinning shot to score was a game in DC, and I think the Varly first game win was in Montreal. I don't have last year schedule, but I want to say Varly win was in December and then Ovi goal was in January.

Posted by: tominfl1 | November 28, 2009 9:27 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: tominfl1 | November 28, 2009 9:27 AM

Ov may well have made some awesome plays during Varly's first game (would never put that past him), however I believe that TominFl1 is correct. Ov's awesome spinarama move occured during a home game, however I think it occured in February or early March (but could be wrong).

Hopefully Varly has just as much luck this time at the Bell Centre as he did in his first game!

Go Caps!

Posted by: The_Stanley_Caps | November 28, 2009 9:51 AM | Report abuse

Varlamov's first NHL game was a little bit more than a year ago (December 13th) @MTL and he was spectacular. A 2-1 win with a .970 save percentage.

The Capitals two goals were the first by Backstrom and get this! The game winning goal was scored in the final few minutes of the third period by the great Michael Nylander (assisted by Alexandre Giroux).

So hopefully history repeats as much as it can with Nylander being "unavailable". Maybe that means karma dictates the Giroux gets the GWG.

Posted by: lornemyoung | November 28, 2009 10:00 AM | Report abuse

@The_Stanley_Caps & @TomInFla

The game where Ovi did his spin-o-rama goal was in Feb, on the 18th, as a matter of fact.

A co-worker of mine (and office mate) had gotten a ticket and attended the game. The next day, he diagrammed the play on our office whiteboard and was telling everyone about it.

(I was watching the game, or trying to watch it, via streaming, on the cmoputer). Being a family with more computers than TV's, my teenage daughter was watching other stuff on our TV.

But today's upcoming game certainly brings back memories of Varly's first game. I hope the team has better luck tonight than they had in the game Montreal played here this year.

Posted by: CapsFan75 | November 28, 2009 10:51 AM | Report abuse

@lornemyoung

On Giroux: it would be good if he scored today. He'll have the chance to play with great linemates (Ovi and Backstrom).

There is a big "vacancy" sign for the first line right wing slot on our team. With both Knuble and Semin out, that is truly the case.

Posted by: CapsFan75 | November 28, 2009 10:54 AM | Report abuse

@Steakum

So you married someone with a variant of "Jagr"?

While I married someone with a name very similar to Edmonton's GM. (There is a restaurant in Pittsburgh with that name, too.)

Posted by: CapsFan75 | November 28, 2009 10:58 AM | Report abuse

On Jagr:

A co-worker of mine felt that Coach Cassidy never really let Jagr be Jagr as he was a more defensive minded coach.

All I can remember is that the move did not work out for us at all. I remember the Caps acquiring him amidst much fanfare.

(My memories of those years are not that strong. Selective amnesia, maybe. Or because I was too busy in the swim team world with the kids to focus on hockey.)

Posted by: CapsFan75 | November 28, 2009 11:04 AM | Report abuse

@griz0615

You obviously know more of the "dirty" words in French than I do. Or maybe I shouldn't say "dirty" but "gritty" or "earthy"?

Posted by: CapsFan75 | November 28, 2009 11:33 AM | Report abuse

Is the game only on NHL network tonight?

Posted by: ksaul79 | November 28, 2009 12:29 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Steakum | November 28, 2009 8:51 AM |

Yeah, everyone thinks that now. But you certainly didn't think it was a bad decision at the time.

Signing the best player (at the time) to our team wasn't a good idea? Sure...in hindsight. It was pre-salary cap era as well.

Posted by: richmondphil | November 28, 2009 12:42 PM | Report abuse

Is the game only on NHL network tonight?

Posted by: ksaul79 | November 28, 2009 12:29 PM |

It's on CSN+ if your area gets the game.

Posted by: richmondphil | November 28, 2009 12:43 PM | Report abuse

Thanks phil, I do get CSN+ but on the guide it doesnt say anything about the game but I guess they are still showing it.

Posted by: ksaul79 | November 28, 2009 12:55 PM | Report abuse

With all the talk of Montreal being a "cathedral of hockey", can MP and the rest of the Caps gang build their church there?

Allez vous, Les Capitales!

Va toi, Matthieu P., le petit roche.

Posted by: CapsFan75 | November 28, 2009 12:59 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: ksaul79 | November 28, 2009 12:55 PM |

It depends on where you live. Down here in Richmond, we get the CSN+ games usually, but one or two times it has been racing or something else. It depends on your local cable company's decision on what they want to show on CSN+. I know some people who live right around DC don't even get the CSN+ games, which is ridiculous I think. I can sort of understand why they wouldn't show it down here in Richmond, but in the immediate DC area? really?

Posted by: richmondphil | November 28, 2009 12:59 PM | Report abuse

@richmondphil
Actually, I was not excited about it at the time. I thought it was way too much money for someone seemingly getting near the end of his career. My sons were excited, though.

Posted by: Steakum | November 28, 2009 1:00 PM | Report abuse

"Washington -- Remember during the offseason when the Capitals learned forwards Viktor Kozlov and Sergei Fedorov would not return? There was talk they would be hard to replace. But the play of free-agent acquisitions Brendan Morrison and Mike Knuble have eased the concerns.

Sure, Morrison and Knuble are veterans, but we'll make an exception for these two since they are on a new team. After all, they've had to tweak their games to conform to the Capitals' system. Unfortunately for Knuble, who had 5 goals, 15 points and a plus-10 rating through 19 games, a broken finger will sideline him another month.

Morrison, meanwhile, has 9 points (4 goals) in his last 10 games and 19 points in 25 games. Don't forget, Morrison is coming off a season in which he finished with just 16 goals, so he's already halfway to that point with the Caps. His 0.76 points per game average are the most he has had since a career-best 71-point season in 2002-03.

"I didn't really know much about Brendan, personally, before he got here" Capitals forward Brooks Laich told NHL.com. "I just knew him from watching him as a fan of hockey. When he got here, the first thing I noticed was how good a skater he was. He's got a great stride and, other than that, he reads the play very well and moves the puck. He's a very easy guy to play with so, for us, it's been a seamless transition."

Runner-up -- Goalie Semyon Varlamov."

All you BMo doubters!!! Take that.

Posted by: richmondphil | November 28, 2009 1:07 PM | Report abuse

I didn't like getting Jagr at the time because I had already developed such a dislike for the guy. It would be no different than if the Caps now somehow picked up Crosby. I know he's great and all, and so was Jagr, but I don't want to root for people I can't stand.

It was a comedy or errors - trading for Jagr, giving him the huge contract, signing all his friends, and meanwhile hiring an absolutely terrible choice for coach. The coach ends up with all kinds of personal problems and Jagr if I recall went into major depression over a girlfriend. Then, to top it off, he alledgedly had major gambling issues.

The only good thing out of all that was signing Lang and then trading him for Flash and the draft pick that became Mike Green.

You look hard enough and you can find a silver lining to anything, explaining why mrstominfl1 has put up with me these 31 years :).

Posted by: tominfl1 | November 28, 2009 1:08 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Steakum | November 28, 2009 1:00 PM |

Yeah, but it was pre-salary cap. He was also only 29 at the time...right at the peak of his career.

11 mil/yr is beyond ridiculous, but at the time of the signing I was pretty ecstatic. I thought we had something adding the Lang/Jagr duo.

Ah...oh well. GMGM learned that the big free agent signings are not the way.

Posted by: richmondphil | November 28, 2009 1:13 PM | Report abuse

I chalk it up to me being a bit younger than you guys. Signing Jagr blew my mind.

The funny part? How Jagr absolutely picked up his previous form in NY...with....well..you all know.

Posted by: richmondphil | November 28, 2009 1:15 PM | Report abuse

Also...this may sound strange, but I always had a weird affinity towards certain Pens players. They were the players I hated the most, but I still liked. Mostly the Euro pens... Straka....

And as you may know, Gonchar was my favorite Cap during his team here. Seems to go full-circle....

Posted by: richmondphil | November 28, 2009 1:19 PM | Report abuse

Also, Capsfan75 mentioned it, but in case you guys haven't seen it yet;

Posted by: richmondphil | November 28, 2009 1:23 PM | Report abuse

@richmondphil
He was really only 29 then? Wow -- I did not realize that. I just remember my thoughts about it all at the time were we were paying too much for what we would get. I thought we should be getting up and coming players, not someone who at least seemed a bit past his own prime. How much longer did he stay in the NHL after the lock out? Where is he now?

Posted by: Steakum | November 28, 2009 2:02 PM | Report abuse