Varlamov: 'I Will Not Be Afraid of Anything'

Looks like Brent Johnson will be starting tomorrow on Long Island and that Simeon Varlamov will be backing him up. After a one day demotion, Varlamov has been recalled and will be on the roster later today.

Jose Theodore told me that he's feeling better, but that there's no timetable for his return. That said, it doesn't appear his sore hip flexor injury will keep him out of the lineup too long.

The injury situation is pretty fluid at the moment. It appears Tomas Fleischmann and Eric Fehr are going to make the trip with the hope of playing, while Sergei Fedorov will not travel.

The Alexes, meantime, were indeed taking maintenance days and will suit up tomorrow. Tyler Sloan was walking around and I'm assuming he'll make the trip. But Sean Collins is still with the team just in case, so I'm guessing that means there's still some doubt about Sloan's status.

More from today's practice:

*I'm writing about Varlamov for tomorrow's paper. Fedorov was kind enough to do the interpreting.

The highlight of the interview: "After that game [I] will not be afraid of anything," Varlmamov said of getting a win in his debut in Montreal on Saturday.

*As you might imagine, the Caps are pretty excited about Varlamov's performance. But they are also keeping things in perspective.

"It was pretty special," Boudreau said. "Here's a guy who has played 10 pro games [in North America], going into Montreal, 21,000 people, against a team that was angry after losing the night before."

"But I wouldn't get too excited about it, either," he added. "We're not putting him in Carey Price mode because he's played in one game. We think he has a really bright future, but we'd like to see him play a little more."

GM George McPhee said: "He played really well, but we're going to have keep working on his game like we do with all of our young goalies, continue to build structure and everything else. But in terms of athleticism, he's off the charts and in terms of competitiveness, he's as good as they come in that department, too."

*At one point today, the Caps had four goalies at practice. Five if you count Brett Leonhardt, who was back to wearing a business suit today.

"My head is still spinning," Boudreau said. "Guys were coming on the ice, coming off the ice. It's almost comical."

*It's well known that Milan Jurcina has one heck of heavy shot. Today, after a challenge from Karl Alzner, Jurcina took aim at the cross bar at one end of the rink at KCI. The result? He broke two sections of plexiglass. Wonder if that will be coming out of his check?

By Tarik El-Bashir  |  December 15, 2008; 12:10 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Monday Morning Update (Update)
Next: Morning Reading List

Comments

Tuesday's game is on Versus. Thursday's game is at Verizon center (for me at least). Those watching on TV have to listen to Joey B talk about everything but hockey on Comcast(HD).

Posted by: fanohock1 | December 15, 2008 12:47 PM | Report abuse

Hey Tarik, if you're still around. Since you didn't say much about Sergei Federov, are we to assume he tweaked his ankle again? Thanks for your awesome coverage!

Posted by: fanohock1 | December 15, 2008 12:51 PM | Report abuse

if only jurcina would shoot in the games

Posted by: _stevo | December 15, 2008 12:55 PM | Report abuse

Is it fair to assume that this business with sending Varlamov down and recalling him so quickly has something to do with the salary cap?

Posted by: 1995hoo | December 15, 2008 12:55 PM | Report abuse

If Flash and Fehr are back, I wonder what the lines will look like?

My projections:

Ovechkin-Backstrom-Semin
Fleischmann-Nylander-Kozlov
Laich-Gordon-Fehr
Brashaer-Steckel-Bradley

If Sloan plays and Collins is not recalled, does this mean we'll have a HEALTHY SCRATCH in Girioux!?!?

Posted by: dcox50 | December 15, 2008 12:56 PM | Report abuse

Feds noticeably limped back to the locker-room after his 2nd intermission interview on HNIC. He did not play in the 3rd.

The Caps (and Feds) should know that ankle sprains take a long time and should have been more conservative (x2).

Posted by: dml1077 | December 15, 2008 12:58 PM | Report abuse

I wonder if Jurcina ever smacked someone in the face with a slapshot, and now he's maybe afraid to unleash it.

Posted by: tominfl1 | December 15, 2008 1:00 PM | Report abuse

"if only jurcina would shoot in the games"

LOL

Posted by: pmoravek | December 15, 2008 1:02 PM | Report abuse

this might be a little too soon, but i think with our forwards almost near 100%, we should break up the OBS line again.

Posted by: richmondphil | December 15, 2008 1:03 PM | Report abuse

That is a great attitude, and speaks volumes about our Goalie of the future.

Posted by: TheVampireCorndog | December 15, 2008 1:03 PM | Report abuse

I made comments on how varlamov is better than nabokov, and all those little atlantic division hockey elitist nerds could not pick up on the sarcasm.

Posted by: richmondphil | December 15, 2008 1:05 PM | Report abuse

@Tarik

Did you throw your shoe at McPhee?

Posted by: SA-Town | December 15, 2008 1:08 PM | Report abuse

"if only jurcina would shoot in the games"

he's getting more confidence and doing it more and more. I think he's maturing as a D, and his shot from the blue line, especially when he learns to "walk the line" will be one more weapon for the Caps.

Posted by: mauree | December 15, 2008 1:14 PM | Report abuse

dcox50

The only change I make is...

Ovechkin-Backstrom-Kozlov
Fleischmann-Nylander-Semin
Laich-Gordon-Fehr
Brashaer-Steckel-Bradley

That line had some silly chemistry earlier this year, and as well as that line has been doing, I'd like to see two legitimate scoring lines (but wouldn't be at all upset with your line combos either)

/just greedy

Posted by: Yoshietree | December 15, 2008 1:20 PM | Report abuse

i am sure having two of the best russian stars on the team helps boost his confidence too.
when our beloved gonchar took in malkin, he seemed to flourish a lot faster than coming in and not being able to speak to any of your teammates.

Posted by: richmondphil | December 15, 2008 1:21 PM | Report abuse

@SA-Town: Or maybe just start banging it on the table every time he talks about injuries. Although, that might be a little rude with all the Russians in the room ....

@richmondphil: I'm not so sure about that. Now that those three are starting to become defensively responsible, it might just work out. I understand about not putting all your eggs in one basket, but if you look at the lines, each one has their own "character". They all operate in a slightly different way within the system, resulting in a headache for the opponent while trying to figure out which style they're going to have to defend against.

8-19-28: This is the explosive flash-bang line that will run you up and down the ice and then unload a bullet. This style is what the Caps are best known for right now.

14/33-92-25: This line is a much slower-paced line. It's about patience, space and time, and a mindgame that waits and waits and then strikes when you least expect it.

21-15/91-16: This is the garbage goal line. Laich is your net-crasher, Fehr's your point guy, and Gordon is the guts. This line is very fluid and capable of the unexpected - we've seen the unexpected out of these guys all season.

87-39-10 is a given that we all know and love.

Now, D. If Sloan does not play, my guess is that the pairings look like this:

Poti-Green
Mo-Collins
Alzner-Jurcina

I really think we've found a gem in Alzner/Jurcina.

Posted by: kittypawz | December 15, 2008 1:22 PM | Report abuse

@yoshie

read my comment up. breaking up the OBS line to form two legit scoring lines would be ideal.

Posted by: richmondphil | December 15, 2008 1:22 PM | Report abuse

@Yoshietree:

Those combinations would be very good as well. That second line with a healthy Fleischmann and Semin could allow Nylander to set up and make more plays with defenses focusing on the two scorers. I can't argue against that.

@ Kittypawz:

I would not suspect that Boudreau would put his two offensive-defensemen, Poti and Green, on the same back line.

He'll probably put Green with Morrison since the two worked well together last year and probably put Poti with Sloan - or Collins, depending on who can play - and keep the Alzner-Jurcina pairing together.

Posted by: dcox50 | December 15, 2008 1:28 PM | Report abuse

Re: Jurcina
Last year my biggest complaint was that he didn't move his feet and as a result got stuck out of position. This year he has been a stud. he moves the puck well, he sees the whole ice and has been shooting more. Don't worry, one of these games he is going to let that thing rip! When he does, padding or not, the goalie should fear for his life.

Posted by: psugolf | December 15, 2008 1:29 PM | Report abuse

I wonder, could we put Joe Say on LTIR and just go with Johnny and Varley for the rest of the season?

Posted by: Leeguru | December 15, 2008 1:29 PM | Report abuse

@Leeguru: You may just be joking around with puting JT on LTIR to go with Johnny and Varley but just in case you aren't the team doesn't have the lattitude to dictate who is on LTIR without proving a long term injury. It is my understanding that the league weighs in, especially since teams (like the Caps) would love to bury a 4.5 mil albatross in the LTIR to clear Cap space.

Posted by: fanohock1 | December 15, 2008 1:35 PM | Report abuse

I hate wishing my life away, but I wish it was Tuesday. I've always been a Caps fan, but the last two seasons have been a blast. Went through major withdrawals since when the Caps got eliminated last year. Now I am so addicted I go through withdrawals on non-game days.

Hi, my name is fanohock1, and I am addicted to Caps hockey!

Posted by: fanohock1 | December 15, 2008 1:38 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: CodePoetry | December 15, 2008 1:39 PM | Report abuse

I am so not joking. And he does have a hip injury, which is bad for a goalie. Just thinking....

Posted by: Leeguru | December 15, 2008 1:39 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Leeguru | December 15, 2008 1:29 PM
-------------------------------------------
I think Boudreau and McPhee's comments echo a perspective that a LOT of people need to exercise.

Posted by: Section117 | December 15, 2008 1:41 PM | Report abuse

"Those watching on TV have to listen to Joey B talk about everything but hockey on Comcast(HD)."

THANK GOD!!!! I thought it was only me who felt this way. Thank you, I thought I was suffering from Schizoaffective disorder.

He is another candidate for a size 10 shoe.

Posted by: opita | December 15, 2008 1:41 PM | Report abuse

Just having a hard shot doesn't mean much if you're not able to get it off quickly or get it through traffic. Jurcina has next to no lateral movement (something Mike Green excels at, for example and Lepisto is not bad at). I'm sure the Caps coaching staff works with him on it, but he might be simply not athletic enough, not good enough skater to do it. Sometimes you can't teach a dog new tricks if the dog is fundamentally incapable of doing them.

Happy to read all the nice stuff about my boy, Varlamov. I'd love to see a lot more of him and a lot less of Theodore. Not that this is going to happen probably.

Also, nice to see that Collins moved up so much in the pecking order. Looks like the coaching staff was as impressed with his performances as I have been and he's now our first callup on D (since Sloan has almost become part of the main team). IMO, Collins is much better than Sloan, so ideally I'd like him to be our 1st D callup when everyone else gets healthy (ahead of Sloan).

Sort of unrelated to the Caps, but does anyone feel bad for Boudreau's buddy Anderson down in Atlanta? He looks pretty spent already in post game interviews. He's a very good coach obviously and even managed to squeeze a 5-game winning streak out of those guys, but I'm sure he's realized by now just what an impossible task he got himself into.

Same goes for Scott Gordon and our next opponent. He squeezed everything he could out of them when they went on a good run, but it looks like they've come down back to earth with 8 losses in the last 9.

Must be nice to get the Sharks as a rookie coach (Todd McLellan).

The Rangers just can't stay with the program and continue to build with youth. They always revert back to their old ways of being a retirement home for expensive, aging stars, don't they? They're now reportedly the #1 most likely team to sign Sundin.

I would not break up the OBS line. Once everyone is healthy we have enough players for a legit 2nd line. For example, Flash - Nylander - Fehr (Kozlov) seems good enough to me.

Posted by: ranndino | December 15, 2008 1:42 PM | Report abuse

I don't think you breakup the OBS line. That line draws all the energy from the opposition, they feed off each other, and they are the primary PP squad (along with Green and Kozlov). Since Semin's return, the OBS line has 15 pts. and secondary scoring is 15 pts. Granted there have been 5 PPG in that period, so the OBS line is getting an even greater credit than 50% of the points, but it's not like there isn't other scoring. Watching that line is a thing of beauty. Keep them together.

Posted by: saintex | December 15, 2008 1:43 PM | Report abuse

give theodore a break guys, jesus. has he ALWAYS been overrated, even while in montreal? yes.
i didnt expect much from him, since i always thought he was a little sub-par, but that doesnt mean he wont get his legs again and rise up to be a #1 goalie again. im not asking for vezina...just respectable numbers.

Posted by: richmondphil | December 15, 2008 1:44 PM | Report abuse

@psugolf: He already has once - and it found the twine for the GWG in Toronto.

@dcox50: True.

I seem to recall that Flash/Nyls/Semin started out great and then fizzled. ????/Nylander/Kozlov has been consistently on the scoreboard for the last three games. I've noticed that sometimes Kozlov is invisible on the first line, but where he is, he's a key piece of the puzzle.

In BB I trust. He'll go with what works.

Posted by: kittypawz | December 15, 2008 1:47 PM | Report abuse

Jurcina is like that bully from Mighty Ducks.

Posted by: mnmnt_snow | December 15, 2008 1:53 PM | Report abuse

@Lee

I'm a Varly (legit nick?) enthusiast myself, but maybe is better to test him a couple of more games.
I was a Theo supporter but he didn't give me a lot to cheer for - while Johnny and Varlamov...

Posted by: mauree | December 15, 2008 1:55 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Section117 | December 15, 2008 1:41 P

yes o master of this board

Wow are you full of yourself

Posted by: cstanton1 | December 15, 2008 1:55 PM | Report abuse

Correction: They didn't make the scoreboard in the Senators game, but they were definitely a force out there.

Posted by: kittypawz | December 15, 2008 1:56 PM | Report abuse

i agree with others commenting today that Juice's game is transforming. given his size, his improved game can be a huge asset for the Caps defense. lets all hope that we are seeing Juice have the breakout year we have been waiting for.

Posted by: doughless | December 15, 2008 2:02 PM | Report abuse

Mauree,

I agree with the assesment that Varley needs to spend more time in the AHL for some seasoning, but I really liked what I saw on satruday

Posted by: Leeguru | December 15, 2008 2:02 PM | Report abuse

Have to agree with kittypawz yet again. Gotta trust BB. This guy finds a way to win even when the team was decimated with injuries. People even blasted the Caps when they lost their 1st home game to the Panthers (who are 6-2-2 in their last 10 by the way) because even though we were loaded with minor leagers, we were expected to win. I was there, we shoulda and coulda won, but they played flat and BB didn't want to hear any excuses, he called the team out and they've responded by winning 5 of 6 since the Panther loss. Coach BB definitely has a great hockey mind. Just more proof that our organization is strong. BB's replacements in Hershey and South Carolina have maintained while losing players on their respective clubs due to the Caps injuries.

Posted by: fanohock1 | December 15, 2008 2:03 PM | Report abuse

yes o master of this board

Wow are you full of yourself

Posted by: cstanton1 | December 15, 2008 1:55 PM
-------------------------------------------
Shouldn't you be drunkenly swearing about Green's play or something?

Posted by: Section117 | December 15, 2008 2:13 PM | Report abuse

It's funny seeing those possible lineups now and being like... wow... not a Hershey Bear in sight!

Posted by: Caps1Fan | December 15, 2008 2:14 PM | Report abuse

@kittypawz

I was going to the same thing about the Alzner/ Jurcina line - what a gem

It is interesting to see a rookie come in and help Jurcina get is game up and going. He has played so much better w/ Alzner

Posted by: gsboyce | December 15, 2008 2:23 PM | Report abuse

Jose sucks - and we are stuck with him for a long time.

Posted by: lylewimbledon | December 15, 2008 2:25 PM | Report abuse

Thank you, Eeyore.

Actually, it's only this year and next, and if I know GMGM, if we really need to move him before then, we'll find a way. Having seen what we've got in Hershey, I for one am grateful to the skies that GMGM stuck to his guns on the two-year contract.

We'll let the rest of this year shake itself out and go from there.

Posted by: kittypawz | December 15, 2008 2:36 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Leeguru | December 15, 2008 2:02 PM

"Mauree,

I invented the Varley nickname, and am hoping to market it and CAPitalize on it. Let's see if it sticks."

OK, I suppose you invented Greenie, Ovie, Brooksie and Backy as well. Ingenius... what's next? The wheel?

Posted by: edmontoncapsfan | December 15, 2008 2:39 PM | Report abuse

Please don’t get me wrong, I like these blogs and boards where anyone can voice their opinions and discuss anything they want. There is generally only one thing that bothers me about them. Listen people, no one and I mean no one currently on the Caps or any other NHL team, sucks. Not Jose, not the sexy lumberjack, not juice, none of them suck. At the most there are only about 700 people in the world (that is almost 7 billion people) that may be better than them. The odds are they are better at their job then you will ever be at yours.

Posted by: Blahblahblah73 | December 15, 2008 2:44 PM | Report abuse

Darn it Jose!! I want Brent and Simeon to split time.

Posted by: rachel216 | December 15, 2008 2:49 PM | Report abuse

mnmnt_snow, I was having Fulton Reid thoughts myself. Now, if only we could start getting Juice to leave marks on goalies catching hands with that shot.
Leeguru, I prefer Varly over Varley, but that's just how I've been spelling it for a while and don't like extraneous letters. :-P

Posted by: jmu_capsgirl | December 15, 2008 2:50 PM | Report abuse

AMEN, Blah man.....Preach on my brother!!!

Posted by: PhilR | December 15, 2008 2:51 PM | Report abuse

Wow, what a lot to comment on!

1) Varlamov / Johnson / Theodore

Don't get me wrong: I love Varly! He's going to be a terrific goaltender for us. But he is not for this year. He's NOT used to the North American style of play yet, and he is going to make mistakes. Better to get him experience in the AHL than ruin him in the NHL by bringing him here too soon.

Theodore is, and has always been, a placeholder. And we're doing FINE with him. We HAVE a winning record. Does it really matter - right now, at this point in the season - how or why? If we were two weeks to the playoffs, or even a month to the playoffs, I might be saying something different about Theodore, but right now? No.

Brent Johnson worked his arsenic and old lace off last summer, and it SHOWS in his play. He's got a really good shot at the #1 goaltender position, and I'll be thrilled if he gets it. I like seeing Boudreau play both goaltenders more-or-less evenly; it helps them stay healthy - and this early in the season, that is crucial! - and it keeps them both in practice so that if we DO find ourselves in a situation where one goaltender can't play - as we have a few times already - we won't be fried by it. It's a good, solid policy, and I like it.

As Section117 said, the perspective is something we do need to mind. This team was at the bottom of the barrel a few years ago, and look at what we've accomplished.

In Bruce (and GMGM) I trust!

Posted by: irockthered | December 15, 2008 2:52 PM | Report abuse

@Leeguru

The kids in Hershey beat you to it. He was Varly long before he got a call up!

Posted by: Varly | December 15, 2008 3:00 PM | Report abuse

Anyone who complains about Joe B on TV does not have the NHL Center Ice package. Believe me we have one of the best teams in the NHL world on our TV coverage. There are some BAD people doing hockey. I usually get both feeds and try to pick judiciously but it is not always possible.

Posted by: majiksea | December 15, 2008 3:01 PM | Report abuse

Man people are a lot more snippy now than back when we were in last place a year ago.

Posted by: SombreroGuy | December 15, 2008 3:04 PM | Report abuse

Edmontoncapsfan,

You got me. I did not invent it. I rode the coat tails of someone much smarter than I. Darn it, i thought I was on to something.

Posted by: Leeguru | December 15, 2008 3:04 PM | Report abuse

I don't want to see the OBS line broken up. They're too exciting!

We need Jose healthy this year, so Varly can get plenty of playing time in Hershey. But I'm fine with Jose being the back-up in DC.

I guess we got to give jmu credit for the "Varly" nickname. :D

Posted by: Cerealman | December 15, 2008 3:07 PM | Report abuse

For those who do have Center Ice, flip over to NESN one night and listen to Jack Edwards doing Bruins games. Or listen to Bubba and the Coach on the Predators network.

You won't complain about Joe B again. :)

Posted by: Cerealman | December 15, 2008 3:08 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Caps1Fan | December 15, 2008 3:10 PM | Report abuse

why do people complain about joe b, i like him very much and i'm glad he's ours. i think joe b and craig laughlin complement each other well.

Posted by: rachel216 | December 15, 2008 3:12 PM | Report abuse

@Cerealman

I don't complain about Joe. I just never want to hear Craig Laughlin's voice ever again. But sadly, I have no other choice. His voice is like nails on a chalkboard to me.

Posted by: Caps1Fan | December 15, 2008 3:13 PM | Report abuse

When everyone is healthy on our blueline, I'd like for Alzner to be on the top of the list of D recalls. (:

Posted by: elicea | December 15, 2008 3:15 PM | Report abuse

Sorry if this was already mentioned, but I always worry when I see the games are on versus - tomorrow being on versus. Will we get the game in DC?

Posted by: capsfansince74 | December 15, 2008 3:16 PM | Report abuse

Some thoughts:

I was headed home from the game Friday and suggested that Semin might need to come off the first line. Sure, we love seeing those guys do their thing together, but lets think long term here. If they make the playoffs, it is much easier for a playoff caliber team to shut down one scoring line over the course of a series. If you split them up now and get them clicking with others, I think that would be good.

About Varlamov. I think he played a real solid game in Montreal. Looked like he might have been scrambling something fierce, but that may be his game. let's not get carried away. One win doesn't make him the next Marty Brodeur... although, we can hope! I think he would be better served playing steady minutes in Hershey instead of once every 4 or 5 games up here.

Posted by: WVPhil | December 15, 2008 3:17 PM | Report abuse

I'm not watching as many non-Capitals games on Center Ice this year. But here's a quick list of broadcasters around the league who I've enjoyed listening to.

New Jersey: Doc Emrick
N.Y. Islanders: Howie Rose and Billy Jaffe
Phoenix: Dave Strader and Darren Pang

Posted by: Cerealman | December 15, 2008 3:18 PM | Report abuse

@ Sombrero

You know, I was thinking the same thing myself. It's much less civil than ever before.

Posted by: DrinkingPartner | December 15, 2008 3:19 PM | Report abuse

@capsfansince74

If you get Versus in your cable package, yes. I don't have it included in my cable package so I don't get it.

Posted by: Caps1Fan | December 15, 2008 3:19 PM | Report abuse

Yes, the Caps game will be on Versus tomorrow night. Every Caps game from here on will be televised in one way or another...no more "Versus exclusive" blackouts from here on.

Posted by: kenjabi | December 15, 2008 3:19 PM | Report abuse

Sombrero Guy/Drinking Partner -
Guess the pressure of success is getting to everyone, eh?

Posted by: superpaqman | December 15, 2008 3:24 PM | Report abuse

God help Laughlin if Varlamov stays with the Caps. I don't think he pronounced it correctly once all game long. Kept saying Varmalov.

Posted by: AleksanderOMunchkin | December 15, 2008 3:24 PM | Report abuse

"Ha my nickname for Nylander is "Fertile Swede." Seriously, his wife's been pregnant for like 7 years."

Joe's wife in Family Guy was inspired by Nylander's.

Posted by: SombreroGuy | December 15, 2008 3:24 PM | Report abuse

Regarding Joe B and Craig, I love what they do. They have fun, and while they get off topic with some of their joke making, I think i can follow the play pretty well without them describing every play in detail. If they were doing radio it would be a different story.

Regarding the OBS line, as long as we continue to get secondary scoring I don't see any reason to break them up. Semin and Ovechkin create room for each other. Its hard to key in on both guys at once.

Maybe Semin would be better off on the second line since you know our opponents top D will be lined up on Ovechkin, and Ovechkin did manage to put up some impressive stats while Semin was hurt.

Posted by: SombreroGuy | December 15, 2008 3:28 PM | Report abuse

FWIW the Versus exclusivity night is now Mondays. The Caps play twice on a Monday, once at 2 (nowhere near the exclusivity window) and the other game was picked by Versus. I think the only thing we have to worry about are time changes because of getting flexed by NBC.

Posted by: koalatek | December 15, 2008 3:29 PM | Report abuse

Sombrero, caught me off guard with that one. lmao.

Posted by: jmu_capsgirl | December 15, 2008 3:29 PM | Report abuse

Per Japers:

The Caps are 8-0-0 in the last eight games Alex Semin has played, and have outscored opponents 28-10 in those games, allowing one goal six times and two goals twice. They're 13-4-2 on the season with Semin in the lineup.

Impressive stats, no? And I remember some wanting him traded, last season...

Posted by: elicea | December 15, 2008 3:30 PM | Report abuse

If Joe B and Laughlin would spend the time they talk about food, Joe's height, Craigs old teams and other bs, and spend it on the game they might be ok, Might

Posted by: billd2 | December 15, 2008 3:45 PM | Report abuse

Varley was not created by you! BB called him that @ camp. I love to just sit back listen to some people on here.

Posted by: RedRocker | December 15, 2008 3:49 PM | Report abuse

Heh. I see what people are saying about OBS, but I like the Nylander/Kozlov combo myself and think they can be effective. Agreed that it's damn difficult to stop both Ovechkin and Semin at the same time. As long as we get second- and third- line scoring, leave things as they are.

Posted by: kittypawz | December 15, 2008 3:53 PM | Report abuse

The Caps tv broadcast tandem is awesome! They may get side-tracked, and if you don't care for what they have to say, there's a mute button on your remote. There are so many whiners out there. The Caps have won three straight and look like a lock to win the SE at this rate. Who cares what our announcers say or do? Who gives a rats a$$ anyway...GO CAPS!!!

Posted by: reesem37 | December 15, 2008 3:55 PM | Report abuse

it's like reading a novel when i come in here.

Posted by: mnmnt_snow | December 15, 2008 3:56 PM | Report abuse

Why can't people accept the fact that I created the Moniker Varley? It was me that suggested it to BB, it was me that has the chocolate heads in Hershey calling him that, why, I was there on draft day! Stop raining on my parade you doubters!

Posted by: Leeguru | December 15, 2008 3:59 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: billd2 | December 15, 2008 4:06 PM | Report abuse

"The Caps play twice on a Monday, once at 2"

I forgot that one was on the schedule. Might have to arrange to "work from home" that day.

Posted by: tess2201 | December 15, 2008 4:08 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: edmontoncapsfan

He also invented sarcasm. Based on trademark violation, you owe him $10.

Posted by: Steve_R | December 15, 2008 4:08 PM | Report abuse

Thanks for the responses - glad to hear its on.

Posted by: capsfansince74 | December 15, 2008 4:09 PM | Report abuse

That's $10 per usage. Some accountant you are.

Posted by: Leeguru | December 15, 2008 4:09 PM | Report abuse

Did the great announcers tell us what three players were missing in the third period last game? I can't remember hearing it or maybe I tuned them out for all the bs

Posted by: billd2 | December 15, 2008 4:10 PM | Report abuse

Have Feds and Koz been on a line together at all this year? Why is it that they say Feds has had such an affect on Ovi and Semin, but not Koz? If I'm not mistaken, he's Russian too. (/sarcasm and $10 fine) Wouldn't those two have some chemistry?

Posted by: WVPhil | December 15, 2008 4:14 PM | Report abuse

Nope, $10 bucks is right. The wheel wasn't you but the others are. It would have been $20 if he'd mentioned sliced bread or the internet though.

Posted by: Steve_R | December 15, 2008 4:15 PM | Report abuse

Joe B is not that bad. Craig Laughin drives me nuts. After each time he speaks I have to sit there for a minute to try and understand what he just said because he has a nickname for EVERYTHING!! It's so annoying. The two do have good chemistry, I will give them that. But Laughin annoys me so much.

Posted by: dcox50 | December 15, 2008 4:18 PM | Report abuse

You haters! Locker is the man. Joe B is also said man. They're hilarious, they're ours, and they love the Caps and you can tell. Everyone wants something to b*tch about.

Posted by: ThisGuy | December 15, 2008 4:21 PM | Report abuse

I for one have no problems with Joe B and Locker; take them for what they are worth. Locker is numbskull, and Joe B is short and funny looking. They do a good job for the Caps and if you grew up rooting for them then you're very familiar with them. I know they are simple, so I don't pay that much attention to their on-air antics. Overall, they are a fine pairing. Steve Kolbe, on the other hand, prepares himself well for games but I CANNOT STAND THE GUY! He's a screamer, and it doesn't matter where the puck is. Talk about nails on a chalkboard. I miss Ron Weber!

Posted by: reesem37 | December 15, 2008 4:24 PM | Report abuse

It looks like they take turns cutting each other's hair (Locker & Joe B)

Posted by: reesem37 | December 15, 2008 4:27 PM | Report abuse

To Varley,

If and when you ever score a goal. You will "be afraid" and have fear in your eyes with OV screaming down the ice for the goal celabration. You have been forwarned!!!!! Hope someone can translate this to the kid.

Posted by: Capsfannmiss | December 15, 2008 4:30 PM | Report abuse

Good news everybody -- article on back-up goalies on TSN including BJ:

Posted by: JIMALLCAPS | December 15, 2008 4:30 PM | Report abuse

joe b and locker like to talk about stuff that isn't hockey. A LOT. but ive grown up to hearing their voices, and they dont bother me to much. im watching the game, not listening to the homers.

Posted by: richmondphil | December 15, 2008 4:31 PM | Report abuse

REdrocker chill please.

Jurcina lovers don't be fooled by his better work in the corners and in front of the net. He still gives up the puck more than any other dman. From my perch at the games I have been charting dman turnovers. Jurcina has by far the most in the five games I have kept track. Both his percentage and total/game has gone down the last couple of games, but it is still the highest per game on the team. Erskine has the lowest percentage by my count. But I only charted him two games.

Let's face it, Semin turns it over more than anyone on the team. But there is so much upside you can forgive the occasional turnover. But Jurcina has no major upside. His job is to get the puck and keep possession with good outlet passes.

Posted by: waitingsince75 | December 15, 2008 4:32 PM | Report abuse

Joe B is much better on Versus. On Comcast he refuses to call the game. Pretty bad. I have the NHL package and listen to many games. I'd take anyone over Joe B and Locker.

Posted by: EsaTikkanen | December 15, 2008 4:34 PM | Report abuse

Some people like the atmosphere of the event, some people like the game only, some like it both.
I like the game, so when I am watching it I like to concentrate on what is transpiring on the ice. I do not care for the chatter and mumble jumble of the color man. What we have with Joe B. is not a play-by-play guy, but another color commentator. To me he is an unwelcome distraction. The game is fast paced and on TV you only see a small window of the action, that is why a good play-by-play man is needed. In my opinion, if we had a good play-by-play guy instead of another chatterbox, some misguided "self-impossed hockey know-it-all" would realize the contributions some players make that are not reflected on the stats.
By the way, just because another market have the same problem with bad play-by-play guys, does not mean that what we have is ok or we should be thankful for them. We should always look for improvement.
On another subject: Why the personal attack on Nylander? I am wondering if you are the same people who commented on Avery.

Posted by: opita | December 15, 2008 4:35 PM | Report abuse

Just because they share the same country of orgin, does not give the "chemistry". Chemistyr is built by playing games together, and or alot of practice time together, each players knowing before hand what the other play will do. Just an observation.....

Posted by: Capsfannmiss | December 15, 2008 4:35 PM | Report abuse

Joe B is great. The only reason he talks about other stuff is so we don't have to hear that nasally voice next to him quite so much.

Posted by: waitingsince75 | December 15, 2008 4:36 PM | Report abuse

@ opita - What attack on Nylander, that he is a rabbit and reproduces often? Is that a shot?

Posted by: waitingsince75 | December 15, 2008 4:38 PM | Report abuse

I call him Fertile Swede out of love. But the fact is, the guy has a lot of kids. Haha.

I just don't like Locker because of that awful nasal Canadian accent. Joe is much more pleasing to listen to.

Posted by: Caps1Fan | December 15, 2008 4:40 PM | Report abuse

Kozlov is 33, 6 years behind feds. He didnt grow up in awe of him like semin and OV did. kozlov is a grown ass man.

Posted by: richmondphil | December 15, 2008 4:40 PM | Report abuse

Most of you are STH. I'm not for entirely too many reasons to mention here, so I watch the broadcasts each game when I can. Joe B is very good. He sets up his color man (Locker or whomever on Versus) extremely well. It doesn't matter if it's hockey or Lacrosse or any other sport that he does. He knows these games inside and out and knows the players and their histories and capabilities. You can tell he doesn't really need a color guy to add anything to his broadcasts, but he feeds them and sets them up extremely well.

Locker adds the color to Joe's foundations. It isn't all supposed to be about hockey, but relevant to what Joe B says to him. They do get off on tangents sometimes, but still it all adds to the ENTERTAINMENT of the broadcast.

What I really like about their broadcasts is that they do love the Caps and that's obvious. But they also Love hockey and are just about as lauditory for the opponent's plays as the Caps. It's a fair and balanced presentation, and that goes a very long way in my book.

Posted by: Greg S. | December 15, 2008 4:43 PM | Report abuse

billd2:

"I care what the announcers say or do. They are horrible and have been for the 7 or 8 years they've been together. I would like to enjoy the Caps sucess with professionals not some one who talks about what Lackers mother is making for Thanksgiving dinner."

@ billd2: I dunno...Joe B seems to know the game well enough for someone who hasn't played at the NHL level...and Locker...well, you have to admit he has an endearing sort of Bob Uecker vibe. Our own Don Cherry Lite, if you will.

That said, if we had to have someone else calling our games on CSN, how about Steve Kolbe (Yes, him) and Joe Reekie?

Fanohock1:

"Hi, my name is fanohock1, and I am addicted to Caps hockey!"

@Fanohock1: (crowd responds) "Hi, Fanohock1!"

Milan Jurcina & Fulton Reed: Separated at birth?

From Previous threads re McCreary:

Here's what we should do:

1) Detailed statistical analysis of ALL of the games McCreary has called in his career.

2) Is there a pattern?

3) If a definitive pattern (e.g., a distinct Caps-hating motion) can be established, and it can also be established that that pattern has done tangible harm to the Caps, then file a complaint with the NHL's Director of Officials.

4) If the D.O. will not give satisfaction, Caps should sue the NHL for actual and punitive damages, but settle for McCreary taking early retirement.

5) If there's more than one team that can be shown has suffered unduly at the hands of The Walrus, they should join us in the quest for justice.

Posted by: Rhino40 | December 15, 2008 4:52 PM | Report abuse

Well said Greg S

Posted by: Steve_R | December 15, 2008 4:52 PM | Report abuse

@Greg S.
You seem to be one of those who likes the game as well as the entertainment value. Good for you. As such, I can see why you would like Joe B., on the other hand, I love the game only and I want to know everything, or as much as I can, that is happening on the ice, Joe B. does not provide me that and I find it frustrating. There is too much beauty on this game besides the puck crossing the goal line and knowing who shot it. To me the development of the play is exciting even if there is no score. To me, those people who only see the game as shots, goals, and hits, are missing a great part of it. A play-by-play guide will help me see things that the TV can not provide.

Posted by: opita | December 15, 2008 4:58 PM | Report abuse

@Opita - I'm not trying to be a jerk here, but can't your eyes tell you more about what's going on the ice than the announcers?

IMHO Joe and Craig do a good job of both calling the on ice play, but mixing in off ice stories mostly related to the team, and occasionally veering off into something craig had for lunch.

Posted by: SombreroGuy | December 15, 2008 5:08 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Steve_R | December 15, 2008 5:18 PM | Report abuse

Ovechkin and the Co calls Varlamov Varlaam...

Posted by: CodePoetry | December 15, 2008 5:23 PM | Report abuse

@Sombreroguy

Of course they can, that is, if it is shown. But TV does not show everything that is happening on the ice, and, at times, what you see is not from the best point of view.

Would you rather have the announcers try to help you see what TV doesn't show? Or do you rather hear about their Thanksgivings dinner. There is no wrong answer, just different preferences.

Posted by: opita | December 15, 2008 5:32 PM | Report abuse

Come on sobreroguy, you're a STH. There is so much more going on than what we get to see on the TV screen. That is what Joe B and Lacher are supposed to do. Someone was spot on with my complaint of them not mentioning that Backstrom, Federov, and Sloan were missing (Feds and Sloan since the beginning of the 2nd). Call it paranoid, but my STH seats are behind the Caps bench and I always notice when Caps come and go from the bench. IMO our guys don't do a good job with the details I like to hear. I like when Smokin' Al is subing for Joe B.

Posted by: fanohock1 | December 15, 2008 5:33 PM | Report abuse

Ive got to agree with opita.

joe b typically does play by play in 2 or 3 second spurts as well as a goal call.

Last year I was getting a bit frustrated and kept an eye on the time clock. 6 minutes of game action went by without doing play by play.

Sure, your eyes can tell you whats going on during the play but its like watching the game when your 'better half' continually talks about the draperies she bought today.

Posted by: rdy4all2000 | December 15, 2008 5:33 PM | Report abuse

#6 on the power rankings??? NO, we are better than the blackhawks!!

Posted by: rachel216 | December 15, 2008 5:34 PM | Report abuse

One of the handicaps I have watching games on TV that you don't have in the arena is I only get to see what the cameras show. Locker does a good job bringing in the players into the play that are off-screen. His analysis, once you cut through the junk, is usually pretty good and informative.

Their announcing of the game would be totally inappropriate on radio. The commentary that Joe B and Locker provides is a supplement to the visual, not a replacement for it.

Posted by: Greg S. | December 15, 2008 5:34 PM | Report abuse

AleksanderOMunchkin:
I'm taking a maintenance day, too! ;-)

mauree:
Why aren't you drooling all over Avery? Man, I can't stand that guy ...

Posted by: --Boo-- | December 15, 2008 5:34 PM | Report abuse

That was Simeon's relative :-)

"Varlaam Monastery, one of the monasteries of the Meteora, is named for the monk who first built a tiny chapel on this rocky promontory in the 14th century.

Suspended in the air (which is what meteora means in Greek), the monasteries of Meteora represent a unique architectural achievement. The six Greek Orthodox monasteries are built on spectacular natural rock pillars on the edge of the Pindus Mountains in northern Greece.

Posted by: CodePoetry | December 15, 2008 5:40 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: waitingsince75 | December 15, 2008 4:32 PM

true, Juice has to be tough on the back end, bruising in the corners, and not fumble the puck. For the most part, he has been doing that. As has Mo since his return. Alzner who I've been very hard on has also been playing a bit better in his own end although he can stand to be less tentative in attacking the forward. The only turnover machine right now is Mike Green. 4 or 5 blatantly bad turnovers in every game including multiple times on the PP that leads to odd man rushes against our goalie. Greenie has turned into little Gonchar.

Posted by: cstanton1 | December 15, 2008 5:44 PM | Report abuse

"Locker does a good job bringing in the players into the play that are off-screen."

If the above is true, I must have, without awareness, tuned him off years ago. I would try to remedy it at his next game, maybe it is my fault that I am not listening - anything is possible, but I don't seem to be the only one who feels the way I do.

Posted by: opita | December 15, 2008 5:46 PM | Report abuse

"Five if you count Brett Leonhardt" - HA!!

Leeguru/mauree:
That's "VARLI" ... ;-)

edmontoncapsfan/RedRocker:
No picking on the guru.

CodePoetry:
Leeguru invented that, too.

Steve:
What's my tab?

Posted by: --Boo-- | December 15, 2008 5:47 PM | Report abuse

@rachel216:

While I am inclined to agree that we are better that #6, I think #6 is a big step forward from #21.

Based on the "rankings equation" from a previous thread (+5 if a Canadian Team, +8 if your best player is Canadian, +10 if you have Crosby, -18 if your best player is European and better than Crosby, etc.-- or something like that--if I rememebred it wrong, my bad), then I guess that ranking 6th instead of 21st must mean that:

1) USA is now part of Canada,
2) OV is now a Canadian Citizen, and
3) We now have Sidney Crosby...

Having witnessed the Jagr debacle, IMHO the Pens (AKA the Axis of Evil) can keep Crosby, thank you very much.

On the one hand, rachel216, I agree with you: I'm insulted too.

On the other hand, I say let them underestimate us now...and pay the price later!!!

'nuff said!

Posted by: Rhino40 | December 15, 2008 5:49 PM | Report abuse

This seems a bit amazing to me
16 times this season the Capitals have held an opponent to 2 goals or less this season, and their record when doing so is 13-2-1. I think we might be better on "D" they alot of people give us credit for.

Posted by: Capsfannmiss | December 15, 2008 6:03 PM | Report abuse

@Opita - I guess when I am home I watch in HD so with the wide screen I see enough of the ice to follow the on ice action. Just a matter of opinion i guess, but I enjoy the goofy stories and player anecdotes Joe and Craig offer.

@fanofhock1 - I do get the frustration about them seemingly not noticing when players are missing like saturday's game when Backstrom Fedorov and Sloan were all off the bench. I also remember Joe and Craig not mentioning Caps players missing from the bench in an away game earlier in the season.

There have been times when I was at the game, noticed a player wasn't on their usual line and checked the bench to see if they were missing. From my usual seats (404) its a tough angle to see the benches so I don't spend much time looking at them.

Posted by: SombreroGuy | December 15, 2008 6:03 PM | Report abuse

@ Rhino -- Jschon set up that equation for TSN (21 to ?) not THN (13 to 7), so until TSN's rankings are out, he may be right. You are comparing Oranges and Orangatangs.

Posted by: JIMALLCAPS | December 15, 2008 6:08 PM | Report abuse

FYI -- ESPN has the Caps at 4, up from 6. This team won't be creeping up on anyone, so just keep kicking a$$ boys!

Posted by: JIMALLCAPS | December 15, 2008 6:12 PM | Report abuse

We are bored. We need something real to talk about. We've all acknowledged that TSN's power rankings are a load of horsecrap anyway, so why is there so much heartburn over them?

Posted by: kittypawz | December 15, 2008 6:13 PM | Report abuse

Espn's power rankings have us at #4 behind san jose, boston, and the redwings

Posted by: ludeman95 | December 15, 2008 6:13 PM | Report abuse

Per OFB- haha. Ovi calling Carbonneau out:

"We wanted to prove to Montreal that we must be respected. Here are Carbonneau's words that he said after the game in Washington three weeks ago . . . "

Ovechkin pointed to a piece of paper that was put on the wall where Carbonneau's words about luck and not really testing Theodore were highlighted. And then Ovechkin added:

"What now? What will Carbonneau say after tonight's game? That we were lucky again?"

Posted by: elicea | December 15, 2008 6:15 PM | Report abuse

Move over King Lundqvist...

its Czar Varlamov time...

Where he at? Where he at?
There he go! There he go!

Posted by: JSchon | December 15, 2008 6:20 PM | Report abuse

Re: the Joe B. doesn't do enough play-by-play... it's TV for goodness sakes! When I'm watching I don't need someone to describe what I'm seeing. I'd like them to fill in the gaps of what I can't see, the nuances, things that got us here, etc, etc. The best TV guys are minimalists... if you want everything laid out in detail listen to the radio.

Posted by: Dave_in_Alexandria | December 15, 2008 6:23 PM | Report abuse

I know people who mute the television and turn on the radio, so they get the play-by-play and watch it on the screen.

Posted by: kittypawz | December 15, 2008 6:30 PM | Report abuse

Also, on Ovi calling Carbonneau out - Ovi is amazing. he is such a trip. :D Dude, we beat you on your own ice with a rookie goaltender. Now what do you all have to say for yourselves?

Posted by: kittypawz | December 15, 2008 6:31 PM | Report abuse

Actually, yeah, the Caps were pretty lucky the other night..but they'll take it.

I mean, a few posts hit by the Habs and a somewhat junk goal by Nyls

That luck but its 2pts either way

Posted by: rdy4all2000 | December 15, 2008 6:49 PM | Report abuse

My last point about our crew. I don't need, or expect someone to explain what I am seeing to me, again, it's what I can't see. I realized Backstrom wasn't there and they never mentioned it on the broadcast. If I remember right the players exited the ice on the penalty box side of the rink so if they were paying attention they would have seen Backstrom leave. Anyhow, my boys and I (they're 18 and 16) love to make fun of the two of them. I haven't tried for a while but the last time I tried to listen to the radio broadcast (via the internet because I live on the Eastern shore) there was too much of a delay. Plus I like to hear the fans. Does anyone else notice that the Caps have fans in just about every city now. When we score on the road you can hear a little roar. By the way my son is going to the Caps/Flyers game next Saturday in Philly so pray for him to get home safely. If the Caps do well and cheers too loud he could end in the Philly harbor.

Posted by: fanohock1 | December 15, 2008 6:55 PM | Report abuse

To follow on a post just above, combine Czar and Varlamov and you get:

Czarlamov.

Instead of Varly, they should call him Czarly.

Czarlamov and Alexander the Great on the same team.

Whether anyone likes the nickname or not, I just invented it. JSchon can have primary assist, if he wants it.

BTW, if anyone cares also, I have completely repudiated my idiotic suggestion last night that the Caps even think about Avery.

And for what it's worth, I've always liked Joe B and Locker. Once back in 91 or so there was a poster in the stands in Russian that translated to, "Laughlin gets his hair cut by a snow tractor." I thought that was funny.

Posted by: tominfl1 | December 15, 2008 7:01 PM | Report abuse

Fedorov's injury is indeed his ankle. Again.

Posted by: el_bashir | December 15, 2008 7:05 PM | Report abuse

Varlamov(The Iron Curtain) earned a front row seat for tommorrow's game.

Posted by: ergoroc | December 15, 2008 7:22 PM | Report abuse

Feds needs to stop rushing himself. He's only making that ankle worst.

Posted by: elicea | December 15, 2008 7:24 PM | Report abuse

Crap, Tarik. He really needs to stop rushing it. Is there any possibility we can put him on LTIR and keep him off the ice by force until he heals fully? Not that I don't love Feds, but if he doesn't stop and let it heal completely now, he will struggle with it all season and will not be ready for the playoffs.

Posted by: kittypawz | December 15, 2008 7:32 PM | Report abuse

@kittypawz

haha. I was thinking the exact same thing.

-----------------------

So anyone remember this post:

The highlight of the skate, however, was when OV came out wearing nothing but what seemed like boxers and a t-shirt w/ hockey gloves and skates. He skated for a few min, harassed some of the others, and left. He seemed to be in a real jovial mood, which I hope is a good sign for tonight.

Posted by: griffin13 | December 12, 2008 4:04 PM

I found a picture of said incident.

Posted by: elicea | December 15, 2008 7:37 PM | Report abuse

An earlier post from Tarik:

One more thing: before the team took the ice, Brian Pothier (in warm-ups, a helmet and gloves)...

Posted by: elicea | December 15, 2008 7:43 PM | Report abuse

I'm always surprised to hear people complain about Joe and Locker ... do you ever listen to other broadcasters? We have it so good; most don't compare. I actually enjoy listening to them (and, for that matter, Kolbe). I think Joe and Locker balance well and am always amused by their jabs at each other. I have also met them and can tell you that they are great guys who (obviously) love the game, are totally behind the Caps and very accessible to the fans (Joe was especially chatty and full of questions). Anyway, we have a great broadcasting team - we are very fortunate and I for one am thankful.

Posted by: --Boo-- | December 15, 2008 7:44 PM | Report abuse

@kittypawz

Not to mention the fact the Ref called the entire game against the Caps.

Posted by: TrappedinGA | December 15, 2008 8:21 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: cstanton1 | December 15, 2008 5:44 PM
-------------------------------------------
So since the new version of the NHL site has made tryng to find sortable RTSS sites a little problematic, I'll refer to two things re: Green, first is this:

Notice on defense guys like Chara, Markov, Rafalski and Phaneuf seem to run a higher adjusted total than 52? Again, it's not the best number in the world, but since giveaways/takeaways are a little subjective, unless you're an official NHL scorer, he's not doing it as much as you think.

Second is this:

In looking at Goals Allowed that he was on the ice for (per 60 minutes), only Erskine and Morrisonn have better numbers as defensemen. And for Corsi rating, the only regular defensemen who's performed better is Alzner, if we're counting him as regular yet.

Anyway, for your consideration or not.

Posted by: Section117 | December 15, 2008 8:24 PM | Report abuse

"The only turnover machine right now is Mike Green. 4 or 5 blatantly bad turnovers in every game including multiple times on the PP that leads to odd man rushes against our goalie. Greenie has turned into little Gonchar.

Posted by: cstanton1"

See the event summary from the last two games that Green has been back:

I count 3 give away's and 2 take away's total between the two games as scored by the NHL. Do you have any facts to back yourself up, or just your opinion?

Posted by: Steve_R | December 15, 2008 8:26 PM | Report abuse

@ fanohock1

Ive gone to see the caps in Philly each time they've played weekend games the last couple season and made it up to game 3 last year's playoffs.

All was ok. I mean, I honestly didnt get anything too bad, just some funny taunts, which Ive seen worse happen in a lot of cities.

He will be fine as long as he doesnt got in acting like an A$$ to everyone. Thats where most opposing teams fans go wrong I think. They go in there and act like because they are cheering a specific team they are better than everyone, then 20k people are all over them.

Posted by: rdy4all2000 | December 15, 2008 8:32 PM | Report abuse

cstanton1,

Also for your consideration, our record with Green in the line up:

13-4-3

Out of the line up:

5-6-0

Posted by: Steve_R | December 15, 2008 8:39 PM | Report abuse

Green just needs to get back into the swing of things and he should be able to cut down on the turnovers, however he has the green-light from Bruce to bring it whenever he wants and the more chances you take the more often you will turn it over.

Posted by: tigger_caps_fan | December 15, 2008 9:16 PM | Report abuse

Varlamov (AKA 'The Varl' or 'Varl The Impaler') had a good game but he's a bit too aggressive sometimes. If teams pick up on how far out he comes he could get burnt by guys faking the shot and passing off. But he was normally pretty smart about when to really challenge.

Posted by: Stu_c | December 15, 2008 9:32 PM | Report abuse

Boo!: I agree about Joe B & Locker. Since I have started listening to many games on XM,I appreciate our homers -- they are so much better than many (especially southern) homer announcers.

Posted by: uncatim | December 15, 2008 9:38 PM | Report abuse

There was a legitimate complaint about Joe B and Locker on not providing info on when Backstrom and Fedorov left the arena. It's true, they didn't tell us anything about that. You would expect to hear that from Versus. So why don't we?

I was walking my dog, Charlemagne, a terrier and somthing small mix, when he gave me the answer. It's just him against all the squirrels in the neighborhood, and he can't keep track of them all.

Versus has spotters and they tell the presenters through their ear buds that player X left the ice for the locker room and was limping/holding his head/arm/shoulder/butt... CSN doesn't give them that information. They have to realize it, or hope one of the camera men will, and get the info up to them.

Or that's my guess.

They are definately better than most. And that's the end of my commentary on them. Yay!

Posted by: Greg S. | December 15, 2008 9:53 PM | Report abuse

Joe B. and Locker, I feel do their job quite well. I enjoy their broadcast thoroughly. I really don't have any problems following the game with them in the background, and tune them in and out while game is in play. I think that someone (can't remember who, or possibly which blog did this) had a Joe B. & Locker drinking game... a drink for every time there was some "mustard on that" or a puck referred to as a "biscuit". Anyone have others?

*SUPER*

Posted by: SZALACH7 | December 15, 2008 11:12 PM | Report abuse

You won't complain about Joe B again. :)

Posted by: Cerealman | December 15, 2008 3:08 PM

Center Ice subscriber here. It's not Jack Edwards that's the problem, its his blind as a bat disgusting homer of a color man that's the problem.

Posted by: 202-206 | December 15, 2008 11:25 PM | Report abuse

That may be true too.

But you LIKE listening to Jack Edwards? :D

I watch Predators games occasionally because, well, I live in Tennessee, and they're on TV. Their broadcasting is poor ... it's like two guys sitting at a bar, talking about the game and what to order next.

Now that I've thought about it, I find the Sabres broadcasters pretty annoying, but it may just be because I dislike the team too. :)

Posted by: Cerealman | December 16, 2008 12:05 AM | Report abuse

Kings v. Sharks, Good lord what a game that was. The Kings were absolutely flying in OT.

Posted by: _jordan | December 16, 2008 1:17 AM | Report abuse

@fanohock1

I know what you mean by withdrawl. I think I picked the worst possible time to move away from the DC area. Now I am stuck sitting up in the middle of the night cursing the webstream's choppiness.

With the Bundesliga entering its winter break, I am trying to get some of the hardcore 1860 München fans I know interested in the NHL with drinking nights etc.

Posted by: trunkenmath | December 16, 2008 3:56 AM | Report abuse

Cerealman: Concur. Rick Jennerette (sp?) has to be the most annoying homer/sportscaster I've ever heard except for one person - the most absolutely, positively annoying homer of an announcer in the Universe - Ken Harrelson of the Chicago White Sox.

Posted by: tominfl1 | December 16, 2008 6:44 AM | Report abuse