Varlamov: 'I'm Ready To Go Again'

Here's a transcript of Semyon Varlamov's media session today. A special thanks to Puck Daddy's Dmitry Chesnokov for interpreting.

Q: How much of a help is it to have new goalie coach (Artus Irbe) who can communicate with you in Russian?
A: "This is a huge positive for me because I understand him 100-percent. I understand him real well from Day 1. We have a good connection going. He gives me advice on every shot and save I have to make, so it's really good."

Q: How tough was the language barrier last year with former goalie coach Dave Prior?
A: "It wasn't really that bad, but I didn't really understand 100-percent the way I understand Arturs 100-percent. There were some things I didn't understand, but still the conduct was good and the work was good."

Q: Were you surprised at all when Coach Bruce Boudreau said Jose Theodore would be the No. 1 goalie going into camp, especially considering the way last season ended?
A: "I took it really well. I'm calm; I know that he's No. 1 and I'm No. 2 right now. What I need to do is play really well and earn that top spot during the preseason games. Bruce told me last year when the season was over that I would have to earn it, and I'm ready for it."

Q: How much did you think about Game 7 against the Penguins over the summer?
A: "I didn't think about it. When the game was over I just tried to get away from hockey, relax and forget it. I spent three months relaxing and now I'm ready to go again."

Q: Have you been given any indication from Team Russia about your chances of playing in the Olympics?
A: "No one talked to me about chances. The camp was only two days, there were only a couple of practices. I think my participation will depend on this season and how well I do in this season and how my form overall."

Q: What did you do this summer to get away from hockey?
A: "I just went home and visited my parents, hung out with my friends and traveled. I visited a couple of countries. That was pretty much it."

Q: Much was made in the playoffs about a handful of goals that beat your glove hand. Is that something you worked on this summer?
A: "I don't think I have a problem with my glove. The preseason has just started and I'm going to work on everything. Last season, I just played every game [in the playoffs] and maybe it was just a loss of concentration due to fatigue."

Q: Last season you had some lower body injuries last year that kept you out of the lineup. Did you work on conditioning so that doesn't happen again?
A: "Yes. I'm trying to pay more attention to that now. I do exercises after each practice for my lower body to make sure that I avoid those types of injuries."

Q: If you do win the starting the job, can you handle a workload of 55-60 starts?
A: "I feel like I'm much stronger than last year, physically. Right now, I know how to get myself for ready. Maybe last year it wasn't such. But now I know how to do it. Two years ago, I actually played 60 games. I know the schedule wasn't as tough as it is here. But I know that I'm ready."

Varlamov's command of English is much improved, but he still insists on speaking through an interpreter when he addresses the local media. I do, however, see this changing at some point this season.

By Tarik El-Bashir  |  September 8, 2009; 12:19 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Finley Sidelined
Next: Varlamov's New Pads

Comments

Hah! Whatever it was, whether it be fatigue or just a bad glove hand I hope it gets fixed by March!

Posted by: richmondphil | September 8, 2009 12:37 PM | Report abuse

He'll be the No. 1 by Game 20, if not sooner. BB's a great coach, no way he doesn't see that V's way better than Jose by then.

Posted by: govtimbo | September 8, 2009 12:38 PM | Report abuse

His glove hand is just fine. The fact the Pens' forwards waltzed around untouched by our D made his job infinitely harder, you can get away with that with the Rangers' forwards; against Malkin and Crosby, not so much.

Posted by: govtimbo | September 8, 2009 12:40 PM | Report abuse

Yes, we needed someone to clear our crease as well (see: Crosby's hattrick), but that in no way, shape, or form explains those easy goals he let through his glove hand. (see: Game 7, 1st period)

Posted by: richmondphil | September 8, 2009 12:44 PM | Report abuse

It's not just the crease - if the D are backing up too much (because they're worried about getting walked because their forwards are so much quicker), you better believe that affects the goalie's performance!

Posted by: govtimbo | September 8, 2009 12:56 PM | Report abuse

And, for the 3rd offseason in a row, he neglected to address the Caps' most glaring need - reliable, puck-moving d-men.

Posted by: govtimbo | September 8, 2009 12:33 PM |

Wait, we need puck moving d men now? I thought it was a stay at home crease clearing d man we were missing all this time. Puck-movers now, gotcha.

Posted by: richmondphil | September 8, 2009 12:56 PM | Report abuse

phil: I'm going to disagree w/you there. Caps didn't lose to the Pens due to Varly; they lost due to having 19 PP chances if I recall vs Pens had like 39. Whether it was bad officiating or the Caps players were truly so foul crazy, it was those 20 extra PPs that made the series go 7 in the 1st place.

-----

Nope. We lost because our goalie let in 4 easy glove side goals in the 1st period of a game 7. I am willing to chalk it up to fatigue, but it still happened, there's no way to say that it didn't.

Posted by: richmondphil | September 8, 2009 12:58 PM | Report abuse

phil, you are a little rough on a rookie goalie. I'm not bc I don't think 3ormore could have done any better.

Posted by: caps512 | September 8, 2009 12:58 PM | Report abuse

I don't know any other way to put it. Any goalie should have stopped those 4 shots, at the very least 3 of them. Period. I don't care if it's Checkmanek in net, any goalie is supposed to stop those goals. If your d man are reeling back, which they were ALL series since they are too slow and the Pens are too fast, then deal with it. Let in goals that they deserve, don't let in 4 goals that clip your glove. I watched it multiple times, he was not screened on any of them except maybe Adams. He just let in 4 easy goals. Fatigue, loss of concentration, youth, whatever, it still happened.

I don't think we would have won game 7 anyway, but still...he let in 4 easy goals in the 1st period of a game 7. Is there any other way to spell it out?

I love Varlamov, I almost bought a game worn Lokomotiv jersey but the guy wanted way too much for it. But a whale is a whale.

Posted by: richmondphil | September 8, 2009 1:03 PM | Report abuse

richmondphil: If you are going to make a stand on Varly at least have your facts straight. Game 7 was 2-0 after the first.

Posted by: fanohock1 | September 8, 2009 1:05 PM | Report abuse

I'm rough on the rookie goalie who I have said repetitively got us to game 7 of the second round in the first place because I am calling out something that plainly happened?

Okay, I guess I am rough on the kid. That would make 99% of the posters here look like that Mariners coach combined with Charles Manson with some of the crap they spew about the players here.

Posted by: richmondphil | September 8, 2009 1:08 PM | Report abuse

Also, I don't recall all 4 goals scored on Varly going glove in Game 7. Here's a link to the espn recap. If you scroll down they even say 2 of the goals were glove, not all 4. I know he let a floater in the net in Pittsburgh that was an easy glove save but that wasn't in Game 7.

Posted by: fanohock1 | September 8, 2009 1:09 PM | Report abuse

So he let in 4 easy glove side goals in the first 25 minutes of the game.

Are you happy now? I saw nothing of you debating that they were easy goals, just minor details.. Ad hoc.

Posted by: richmondphil | September 8, 2009 1:10 PM | Report abuse

I don't remember them being all glove either, I was at the game and watched the replay once when I got home. Here's the ESPN link that also only blames Varly's glove for 2 of the goals. http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/recap?gameId=290513023

Posted by: fanohock1 | September 8, 2009 1:12 PM | Report abuse

Change the statement all you want. Now let me ask you.

Our goalie let in 4 easy goals in the first 25-30 minutes (just so you don't get all Kripke on me again) of a game 7.

True or false?

Posted by: richmondphil | September 8, 2009 1:12 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: richmondphil | September 8, 2009 1:15 PM | Report abuse

There is no question he needs to improve his glove hand but ask any goaltender, that is the normally the easiest to remedy. Don't forget the flow of the game completely changed with the phantom call (Don Cherry himself called it that in the recap) on ShaMo that lead to the 1st goal of the game that was SURPRISE on the PP.

Posted by: fanohock1 | September 8, 2009 1:15 PM | Report abuse

When was the last time you saw the Caps' forwards receiving tape-to-tape passes on clean, consistent breakouts? We have world-class forwards, but they work incredibly hard just to gain possession.

Phil: you were the one who said stay-at-home, crease-clearers - I want D-men who can skate, AND be physical, and put the puck on a guy's tape. Only in the world of Barry Melrose and old-school hockey are those 3 mutually exclusive. Also, having mobile D who can pass means you spend a hell of a lot less time in your own zone.

Posted by: govtimbo | September 8, 2009 1:20 PM | Report abuse

Are Pothier, Poti, and Green not puck-movers?

They all are, none are too physical.

So it's not a puck-mover you want, it's a good skater who can move the puck and is physical? Okay then, that seems quite a world apart from just asking for a puck-moving d man, which Pothier and Poti both qualify as. Whether they are good puck-movers is a different question, but it's not a secret that both of them are considered puck-movers.

I don't know about you, but #1 on my list of traits I want our d man to incorporate, it's clearing the freaking crease. Not "get better puck-movers."

Posted by: richmondphil | September 8, 2009 1:25 PM | Report abuse

Amazing. All of a sudden we have holes everywhere. We don't have the D-man that placed 2nd in Norris trophy voting. We don't have a goaltender capable of posting a 91.8 save percentage in the playoffs. Thank GOD some of you aren't the Caps GM our team would look like the Ranger of the NHL, or the Raiders of the NFL. We constantly sign aging guys that are exactly what we need.

Posted by: fanohock1 | September 8, 2009 1:26 PM | Report abuse

Yes, because that is exactly what I said. I was clearing stating that exact thing, fanohock1! We don't have any goaltending or any d men! I implied that I wanted us to sign aging guys!.... yes that is exactly what I meant, I am such a nihilistic bad fan!

Here's an idea. Don't take a job that requires you to make competent inferences.

Posted by: richmondphil | September 8, 2009 1:32 PM | Report abuse

richmondphil: Hmmm, I don't think I was responding to you alone. Did you complain, or state a need for a puck moving defenseman. Nope. Your constant complaining about Varly, and none dislike of Theo fits the bill on the goaltending complaint. Young richmondphil, relax. You might hurt your back.

Posted by: fanohock1 | September 8, 2009 1:35 PM | Report abuse

We have holes everywhere. There I said it, now you don't have to pretend that I implied it.

Jokes on all of you guys. I have been pretending to be a positive fan. I was just flat out lying to you guys in the past. In reality, we have holes everywhere and our goalie and d men suck. Holes are everywhere. GMGM is the worst GM in history(sarcasm doesn't really work here, since a poster actually said this a few posts ago...). Holes. Everywhere. We need to sign aging guys to win a Cup. We were 14th in the league a year and a half ago, we should have a Cup right now and holes should be filled! Aging vets...sign them now.

/sarcasm

In reality, the only hole I see is in Varlamov's glove. hahaha...

Posted by: richmondphil | September 8, 2009 1:37 PM | Report abuse

Phil: ok, I'll give you that clearing the crease is definitely right up there, but in theory at least you should be able to find guys like that everywhere - the other two are much scarcer. And I do like Pothier, very much; I'm just not sold on Poti.

Fan: how did your D-man that placed 2nd in the Norris do in the playoffs? Granted he's world-class offensively, but how good is he in our end? But I never said squat about Varlamov, he's already outstanding and will only get better, and our forwards are clearly terrific. Yes I have, however, harped on the D, guilty as charged.

Posted by: govtimbo | September 8, 2009 1:40 PM | Report abuse

Jeff Schultz fell down in Game 1 against the Rags and cost us a goal. True story.

Green was less than stellar in the playoffs, because of an injury. True story.

Theo was horrible in game 1 against the Rags and was yanked. True story.

Ovie scored 14 points in 7 games in the Pens series, being the 8th or 9th person in the history if the NHL to pace at 2 pts/game. True story.

Varlamov let in 4 easy goals in game 7 against the pens. True story.

Posted by: richmondphil | September 8, 2009 1:42 PM | Report abuse

The Capitals, united as a team, blew game 7 against the Pens. To lay it on any one player - even the goaltender - is shortsighted. Everyone did their part in creating that inescapable black hole of suck inside of VC.

What's done is done. What's lost is lost.

Live hockey is just a few weeks away.

Posted by: ModestProposal | September 8, 2009 1:43 PM | Report abuse

_______________

I see what you are saying, but I was just thrown off by the description of just as puck-movers. Most people refer to the hypothetical d man we need as more of a physical , stay at home, crease clearer type of guy, rather than a puck-mover. If he could possess both qualities, then that's obviously better.

Posted by: richmondphil | September 8, 2009 1:46 PM | Report abuse

It's just funny how ripped apart guys like Schultz and Nylander get, but when someone points out a mistake made by someone like Varlamov, I'm told I am a pessimist and I think the Caps have a huge hole in goaltending. It's not like I repetitively state that Varlamov is the reason we were there in the first place. Or that he is going to win us a Cup in the future. No, because I point out something that plainly happened to a "protected" player, I am told that I have no faith in him and our goaltending is a big hole.

Posted by: richmondphil | September 8, 2009 1:50 PM | Report abuse

I'm done discussing MY team with pessimistic fans. Yes MY team. This Caps team is by far the best we have ever had to enjoy. It would blow the SCF team of 1998 off the ice. I have explained the reasoning behind my thoughts on that. Even though I was excited they got to the finals, the friggin' planets aligned for us. In 1998 we played the 5th, 8th, and 6th seed to get to the SCF. Although I am a fan I will admit we were lucky as heck.

When you watch this team, and they lose, you walk out wondering, how the heck did that one get away. Before this group Caps fans had to always hope that the lunch pail "Caps hockey" worked so we could steal one.

Just enjoy the fact that you have a good team. If there wasn't a salary Cap GMGM would address all of our needs. The facts are, there is a Cap and we will go into the season with the players we have. Actually without a player like ShaMo to get his salary off our books and under the Cap as long as Alzner and/or Carlson prove they are ready to roll.

Posted by: fanohock1 | September 8, 2009 1:51 PM | Report abuse

Hey guys, I spent a little time at practice today and wanted to see if anyone noticed what I did about lil Gus. He seemed pretty out of it today, granted I came in around 12 so I'm sure most of the guys were a bit tired, he just didn't seem to have much intensity. Anyone else have any observations?

Posted by: superpaqman | September 8, 2009 1:51 PM | Report abuse

I am the epitome of pessimism. I guess I should leave fanohock1's team, yes HIS team, alone and find a new one.

Bye guys. Pensblog, here I come.

Posted by: richmondphil | September 8, 2009 1:56 PM | Report abuse

Currently burning all my old Caps jerseys. Except my two Gonchar's. I'll keep these 2.

Posted by: richmondphil | September 8, 2009 2:02 PM | Report abuse

Green was sick, mono has been brought up on many occasions, and he re-injured his shoulder in Game 1 of the first round. That is what happened to MY defenseman that finished 2nd in Norris trophy voting.

Richmondphil: I don't pick apart any Capitals player, it's not just Varly.

Posted by: fanohock1 | September 8, 2009 2:04 PM | Report abuse

See ya.

Posted by: fanohock1 | September 8, 2009 2:05 PM | Report abuse

All y'all need to start using decaf. JEEZ!

Posted by: irockthered | September 8, 2009 2:06 PM | Report abuse

@superpaqman - Re: Little Gus. I was not at practice today, but I didn't see anything outstanding yesterday either... hopefully he's OK. He did get a pretty nasty concussion at development camp earlier this summer. THAT I was there for, and he rang his bell really hard on the post during one of the scrimmages.

Tarik? Any observations?

Posted by: irockthered | September 8, 2009 2:08 PM | Report abuse

A holier than thou fan with no sense of reading comprehension.

Does anyone want my pair of tickets to the Sharks game? In fact, fanohock1, shouldn't you just buy them from me? Better no one goes than non-Caps fans right?

Posted by: richmondphil | September 8, 2009 2:08 PM | Report abuse

richmondphil:
varly did lay a BIG egg in game 7 - i think with some of the negativity spewed here that your comments were not taken in the spirit intended. varlys perfomance in game 7 (due to whatever factors) set a very bad tone for that one game. i do believe it took the whole team to lose 4 games to the pens. see how a few *sswipes can get people reading into things that sometimes just aren't there?

Posted by: Capt_Kirk_in_AZ | September 8, 2009 2:12 PM | Report abuse

The only one who needed to think about the Pens series was McPhee and what he planned to do to address our D. The Pens forwards kept us bunched in for minutes on end it seemed everytime they dumped the puck in. Malkin and his linemates were able to skate into our zone untouched. Crosby was able to park in front of the goalie all series. This is not a goalie issue, this is a D issue. And frankly, I don't see how we have improved upon that with the exception of possibly a rookie like Carlson making the lineup.

Posted by: cstanton1 | September 8, 2009 2:16 PM | Report abuse

All of us can armchair coach this team better than Boudreau can coach before the fact. Hindsight is 20/20, after all, and Boudreau is not - as far as I know - psychic.

Yes, Varlamov ran out of steam in game 7. In retrospect, he probably should have been held out of one of the two back-to-backs that weren't supposed to happen in the playoffs, but happened because of a stinking Yanni concert in Pittsburgh - and how did the NHL allow THAT?

But, he wasn't.

But to lay the blame entirely on him? No. I cannot and will not do so. Not today, not tomorrow, not the day after the game. And I won't blame Boudreau, either. He went with the unquestionably hot hand. Did he wait too long to pull Varlamov out? Possibly. BUT...

The first goal was a total surprise because we were all expecting a penalty to be called and none was. Everyone on the ice relaxed, and the goal went in and was counted.

Gee, who was refereeing that? Dan O'Halloran, and Bill McCreary.

Did I mention that when McCreary was on the ice, the Penguins went 7-1 in the playoffs?

How about that the Penguins, who were the 13th-most-penalized team in the NHL in the regular season, received fewer penalties than any other team in the playoffs, including the Red Wings, who were the 2nd-least-penalized team in the regular season? They got ZERO - count them, ZERO - penalties in game 7. And I personally saw four, including the one that wasn't called that led to the first goal and the Caps' collapse.

Injuries? Everyone plays hurt, but not everyone plays with a separated shoulder. Not everyone has a groin pull bad enough to require a shot before every game - maybe even between frames. Not everyone skates on broken feet.

No, it wasn't just Varlamov, and trying to blame him for Game 7 is unfair, and just plain not cool.

Posted by: irockthered | September 8, 2009 2:17 PM | Report abuse

Does anyone have any word on whether or not the rookie game will be streamed online like it was last year?

Posted by: Fro_ | September 8, 2009 2:18 PM | Report abuse

@Capt_Kirk_in_AZ - Game 4 we lost fair and square, and I am not angry about Game 4 at all. It was the only game in that series that was called completely fairly on both sides. And it was the game right after McPhee complained about the refereeing.

Coincidence? I think not.

Posted by: irockthered | September 8, 2009 2:19 PM | Report abuse

IRTR: Those were my thoughts but I hurt richmondphil's feelings along the way.

Richmondphil: Put the fire out and get those Caps jerseys ready for the season. You don't have to leave, the more people that cheer for MY team the better. Please use your Caps vs Sharks tickets. OK, OK, they can be your team too.

Posted by: fanohock1 | September 8, 2009 2:23 PM | Report abuse

Here's the thing. No one is talking about a goalie issue. I simply stated a fact; Varlamov let in 4 easy goals in game 7. Like how millions of posters are quick to point out that Schultz fell down in game 1 against the rags.

I even said in the initial freaking post that it could very well be chalked up to fatigue or loss of concentration. Whatever reason you want to give it, it does not change that it happened. This is really not all that complicated.

Posted by: richmondphil | September 8, 2009 2:23 PM | Report abuse

richmond, you cant leave, all the plants will die--to quote a classic movie.

personally, i blame the puck for the game 7 loss. if it hadnt gone in our net so many times, we would have won.

as for upgrading the D, if you think these are the dmen we are going to start the season with (poti, pots, erskine, mo, schultz, jurcina, alzner, carlson, green) i think you are mistaken. i'll let you guess who wont be around but logic, and the salary cap, suggest that probably two of those guys wont be around when the first puck drops. as has been noted, GMGM might not be so great at drafting outside the 1st round, but he is good at making trades. i hope he can come through again.

Posted by: dcsportsfan1 | September 8, 2009 2:24 PM | Report abuse

Phil, I agree with you about Nylander - two seasons ago he was great with the Rangers, he can't have become terrible all of a sudden.

Posted by: govtimbo | September 8, 2009 2:25 PM | Report abuse

The team obviously lost the game. It's a team game. When I said "we lost the game because of our goalie", I did not necessarily mean to imply that we lost solely because of him. But honestly, I am simply stating a fact. One can easily conclude that the #1 reason we lost was because of Varlamov. Was our defense less than spectacular? Sure, but it was like that the whole series. Varlamov did not crumble until game 7. So what is the logical conclusion one could draw? Varlamov was not on his game in game 7, whether that can be attributed to fatigue, age, etc

If Theo was in net and the game played out the same, this conversation would not even be happening. It would have been Theo's fault and no one would even bat an eyelash.

Again, can this statement be refuted? Varlamov let in 4 easy goals in game 7. Much like stating our defense let guys crowd our crease. Two statements that are irrefutable.

Posted by: richmondphil | September 8, 2009 2:33 PM | Report abuse

He cant speak english much worse then Malkin.

Posted by: SA-Town | September 8, 2009 2:33 PM | Report abuse

Richmondphil -

Take a bong hit, some quaaludes or whatever gets you chilled and try, TRY to think of something other than Varly's glove. You've worn it the hell out, now matter how cogent an argument you offered AT FIRST, but by now, try and find another aspect of the Caps to discuss.

Let's make it easy for him - he's right, Varly let it 4, that's F o u r, easy goals. Period. Happy, Phil? No argument, now just try and stop perseverating (look it up). Go give yourself some strokes (like you haven't been) for being so totally correct. Just show that you watched more than just replays of those 4 goals.

Posted by: gamiller1 | September 8, 2009 4:28 PM | Report abuse

The season can't start soon enough. I think we've been all slugging each other on the arm, giving each other wet willies in the ear, and air touching each other to the point of insanity all summer and it's getting annoying. Get it out of your systems, everyone. We've got trolls and other team fans to fend off when the season starts.

Let's GOO Caps!

Oh, just a quick comment on Varly in Game 7 - sh*t happens. *shrug* New season. It's in the past, everyone.

Posted by: LeftCoastCapsFan | September 8, 2009 4:32 PM | Report abuse

The Varly controversy rages here, but I believe the game 7 loss has enough blame to spread around. More to the point, Varly's interview, which was the starting point of this blog chain: He avoided answering the question of what he did in the off season to strengthen his lower body to avoid injuries similar to those which plagued him last year in Hearshy. He only wanted to talk about how he relaxed in the off season and was now ready to come back. My concern is his maturity and committment to working at his craft, as BB mentions was his downfall in his pro carrer in his new Blog. I am afraid that Varly is too immature, not committed to phyiscally build himself up as needed, and simply too self assured to compete successfully over the long haul of the NHL season.

Posted by: CapCenter105 | September 8, 2009 4:53 PM | Report abuse

cstanton1: I couldn't agree more with your post - it is indeed very tough on your goalie (and forwards, for that matter!) when the D can't break the puck out of your own zone. Maybe Carlson is the answer - and I am optimistic, from all I've heard - but I agree, I really thought more would be done to address this [glaring need] in the offseason.

Posted by: govtimbo | September 8, 2009 5:03 PM | Report abuse

I'm with you, LeftCoastFan. Waaay too much slugging each other. Richmondphil makes an observation about Varley letting in 4 easy-to-defend goals in Game 7, and people jump all over his $**t. Please! The less we dwell on Game 7 against Penguins last year, the better off we will all be anyway.

Posted by: dccitizen1 | September 8, 2009 5:14 PM | Report abuse

I agree with CapCenter105 whole-heartedly. The Caps simply cannot wait for Varlamov to mature. I think while it's clear he's not mature right now, there's no point in waiting for him to mature. I see us getting rid of Varlamov and going in search of another goalie, or puck-moving d-man, or a crease clearing center. *rolls eyes*

Put your crayons away, people. Santa only gets one wish-list from the Capitals organization and it ain't from you.

Posted by: LeftCoastCapsFan | September 8, 2009 5:30 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: CapCenter105 | September 8, 2009 4:53 PM | Report abuse

geez, talk about OVER-ANALYIZING.. how would you like to have what you said when you were 20 disected like that??? LMAO give the kid a friggin' break!!! at least wait till he has a bad game.

Posted by: joek443 | September 8, 2009 7:27 PM | Report abuse

Also Game 7 was a total team meltdown, stuff happens... let it go, the biggest failure of the Caps last season was TEAM DEFENSE or the lack of it.. when was the last time you saw a team that was 19th in GAA win the Stanley Cup???

Posted by: joek443 | September 8, 2009 7:33 PM | Report abuse

Varlamov won the Rangers series and kept the Capitals competitive in the Penguins series where Pittsburgh outskated the Caps in at least 5 of the 7 games.

And people here look to him for a source for criticism?

How about blaming a matador defense that NEVER shut down Evgeni Malkin and let him win the OT game on a rink wide pass across two lines.

Somehow the Caps defense thought Bill Guerin deserved as much coverage down the ice as Malkin.

Maybe next time the team will do a better job of identifying the superstar.

Posted by: leopard09 | September 8, 2009 8:43 PM | Report abuse