Varlamov out with a groin muscle strain

Let's start with the big news of the day: Semyon Varlamov, as I'm sure you've heard by now, is hurt.

The team has officially listed the rookie as day to day with a lower-body injury. But I'm told that he suffered a groin muscle strain on the last shot of the game in Tampa on Monday night.

Coach Bruce Boudreau said he hopes Varlamov will be able to practice Friday and play Saturday in Toronto. While that's a best-case scenario, I can tell you this: There's no worse injury for a goalie than a groin strain -- especially for a goalie with a history of them -- and sometimes these types of injuries take weeks to heal.

But there are some encouraging signs. Varlamov did not appear to be favoring either leg and was able to walk without even a hint of a limp this morning.

With Varlamov out, Jose Theodore is expected to get the start tonight against Ryan Miller and the Sabres. Miller, an early MVP candidate who has played all but three games for the Sabres, leads the league in goals against average (.935) and save percentage (1.90). Without him, there's no way the Sabres are challenging Boston for first place in the Northeast Division.

Theodore will be backed up by Michal Neuvirth, who has been recalled from Hershey and joined the team in Buffalo.

Theodore took a puck to the collarbone from defenseman Milan Jurcina (who has the hardest shot on the team) in the morning skate, but other than some minor swelling and a welt, he says he's good to go.

The same, however, cannot be said for Mathieu Perreault, who said he's not feeling well and thinks he has food poisoning. The rookie center is questionable for tonight.

Some other notes from HSBC Arena:

*Matt Bradley, who returned home for the birth of his son, has not rejoined the team. So he's out tonight.

*Alex Ovechkin on the suspension: "Can't do nothing about it. I'm not crying."

*Ovechkin on whether his reputation took a hit because of the suspension: "I don't care about reputation. I'm a hockey player. Sometimes you get in some bad situations. I don't want to hurt nobody."

*Ovechkin on whether he was bothered by the media criticism of his style of play: "No, not really. I just try to don't think about it. But I can't [ignore] it because of you guys [reporters] ask all time ... same questions. I just try to concentrate on my game and not some suspensions."

*Ovechkin on getting booed in visiting arenas: "Fans love me ... and I love them. Some fans like my style of game, some fans no. Everybody have a different mind and everybody can think whatever they want. It doesn't matter what happen, whether they boo me or not, I still love them because they are fans who come to watch hockey game and they support their team and not us."

*Bruce Boudreau on being asked the same questions about Ovechkin in every city: "I love talking about Alex because a) there's so much to talk about and b) he's so good and deserves it. But sometimes you would like [reporters] to talk about other people because the other guys are good as well."

*Boudreau on whether anything Ovechkin does still surprises him: "Oh yeah, he does that once a game. In Tampa, he comes over [the blue line], you could see it from our bench, Semin giving him the pass. As soon as it hit his stick, it was in the net. There was no chance a goalie could save it. We could hear it, the stick hitting the ice and the puck with such force. I turned to Dean Evason and said, 'No wonder he breaks so many sticks.'"

*John Erskine stayed on the ice for some extra work with Mike Knuble (broken finger) and Neuvirth. That could mean Erskine is the odd man out

*Although Michael Nylander has cleared waivers once, he was placed on waivers again today. That has to happen every 30 days -- just in case he accepts a deal that would send him to Russia on loan. There is, however, no indication that something is cooking.

I'll check in later with a lineup.

By Tarik El-Bashir  |  December 9, 2009; 1:11 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Varlamov day to day, Caps recall Neuvirth
Next: Tonight's lineup: Caps at Sabres

Comments

Maybe it isn't a bad strain. Fingers crossed.

Posted by: uncatim | December 9, 2009 1:19 PM | Report abuse

OK, a couple of us just posted that on the previous thread, that Nylander needs to have his waivers "re-freshed."

I'm still curious, something I asked earlier, what do the Stingrays do for a back-up with Holtby in Hershey? Is there an extra goalie in the system for such contingencies, or does the club grab anyone available on a tryout deal?

Posted by: tominfl1 | December 9, 2009 1:24 PM | Report abuse

What does Double Nickels have to do to earn the healthy scratch spot?

Posted by: CapsChick | December 9, 2009 1:31 PM | Report abuse

I suppose looking out for the family is paramount for Nylander, but he does himself no favors for getting future NHL employment with the way things are playing out. Just take a deal for the KHL for a few months and be done with it already.

Posted by: EricS2 | December 9, 2009 1:31 PM | Report abuse

tominfl1: I think Dan Dunn from St. Cloud State is still Capitals property. Maybe he is on holiday break. He is probably studying for finals, though.

Posted by: uncatim | December 9, 2009 1:34 PM | Report abuse

"What does Double Nickels have to do to earn the healthy scratch spot?"

I think he has to not be a complete steal for his price. Soooooo, at 700K, 1G 5A and +13... he'll play- a lot.

Posted by: Fro_ | December 9, 2009 1:38 PM | Report abuse

What does Double Nickels have to do to earn the healthy scratch spot?

Posted by: CapsChick | December 9, 2009 1:31 PM | Report abuse

Umm, not be one of our top defenders.. :)

Posted by: hbcapsfan | December 9, 2009 1:39 PM | Report abuse

uncatim: I don't think they can just snatch a guy from college for part-time or temporary. I know this isn't that unusual, goalies get hurt, sick, whatever, so there must be some kind of plan in place. The SC roster though only has one other goalie besides Holtby listed.

I guess they could put Finley out there with a lawnmower rather than a goalie stick.

Posted by: tominfl1 | December 9, 2009 1:39 PM | Report abuse

From last thread:

@tominfl1
Oops. Should have used quotes around the twitter post for clarity.

*"Mathieu Perreault has food poisoning and is questionable for tonight's game."

The OH NO was mine because I was hoping he and the rest of the team would be feasting on buffalo tonight.

Posted by: wocoliz | December 9, 2009 1:34 PM

Posted by: wocoliz | December 9, 2009 1:40 PM | Report abuse

What does Double Nickels have to do to earn the healthy scratch spot?

Posted by: CapsChick | December 9, 2009 1:31 PM | Report abuse

He'll have to start playing a lot worse than he has been. Not sure what happened, but IMHO, he's been skating a lot better and with more confidence this season.

Posted by: cainoo7x | December 9, 2009 1:41 PM | Report abuse

@Eric - I think Nyls is playing a dangerous game, at least if he really wants to play again. He is an older player who hasn't played much in a long time. Since his stint in Grand Rapids, he has been idle. IMO, has value decreases with each passing day, and at some point he becomes essentially worthless to other teams. Maybe he's happy to take his millions and sit.

Posted by: zmega | December 9, 2009 1:41 PM | Report abuse

Double Nickels is a good defenseman, that's why he's not a healthy scratch. He's a +13, with only 10 PIMs in 23 games. The numbers don't lie. He's developing into a quality defenseman right before our very eyes. BTW, that puts him 5th in the entire league for +/-. He's not flashy, he just does his job.

Posted by: fanohock1 | December 9, 2009 1:42 PM | Report abuse

Some say the +/- stat is worth all that much. He has only been on the ice for a total of 17 Goals against all season. To top it off only 5 were on the penalty kill. Again, he's not flashy, but he has great defensive numbers at a friggin' bargain.

Posted by: fanohock1 | December 9, 2009 1:46 PM | Report abuse

What does Double Nickels have to do to earn the healthy scratch spot?

Posted by: CapsChick

Stop putting up good defensive numbers

Posted by: pkendrick | December 9, 2009 1:46 PM | Report abuse

55-52 pairing is on fire. Ride that combo for as long as you can.

Posted by: LouLewis | December 9, 2009 1:52 PM | Report abuse

I know it's a typo (transposition), but a GAA of .935 would be so awesome.

Posted by: JohninMpls | December 9, 2009 1:53 PM | Report abuse

After all the double nickel hate in the past, I'm diggin the praise he's getting in here now. Who's on the whippin post these days.... cue Erskine haters.

Posted by: Chad8 | December 9, 2009 1:55 PM | Report abuse

Nyls go away!

Posted by: lylewimbledon | December 9, 2009 1:56 PM | Report abuse

You can argue that 55-52 might be our top pairing of the future. 55's size and his willingness to hang back make up for 52's speed and willingness to attack(and be caught out of position.)

Schultz will be brought back this summer before Juice, 100%.

Posted by: BACKS | December 9, 2009 1:56 PM | Report abuse

Great quotes Tarik--thanks. I particularly like Ovi's about he loves the fans because they are there to watch hockey and support their team and BB's quote about how Ovi surprises him nearly every game. Good way to get into our GO CAPS mindset for tonight.

Posted by: Capsyoungguns | December 9, 2009 1:57 PM | Report abuse

Well, Erskine is out of position a lot more than some of our other defensemen but he does bring the big hits. I also like how he takes it personal when a team mate is given a bad ride. He went crazy when Pothier was hit from behind last game.

Posted by: fanohock1 | December 9, 2009 1:57 PM | Report abuse

I hope Neuvy gets a start or two over the next week, and the Caps are careful and let Varley mend. I love watching these two in net -- different styles, but both are sick freaks. With them plus Holtby in the system, the Caps are loaded in net.

Posted by: tfirey | December 9, 2009 1:58 PM | Report abuse

Juice finally gets his powerful shot on goal, and look what happens!

Posted by: capscoach | December 9, 2009 2:03 PM | Report abuse

"cue Erskine haters."

Ya I could see that. And while he hasnt had a great year so far- I got nothing but love for John boy. He's tough, and he looks like one of those dudes that just has big heart. Especially when he's inverting other players faces.

Posted by: Fro_ | December 9, 2009 2:05 PM | Report abuse

At the start of last game Craig L made a point of saying that Jurcina was a healthy scratch and that he had been a -7 in his last few games. That's horrible considering how badly the boys have been outscoring their opponents the last couple of weeks. Hopefully Jurcina gets that turned around because he did pretty good in the playoffs last season because of the physical element he brought.

Posted by: fanohock1 | December 9, 2009 2:07 PM | Report abuse

what good is having the hardest shot on the team when he hardly gets to use it... it's always more about the accuracy and the release than the velocity.

Posted by: joek443 | December 9, 2009 2:10 PM | Report abuse

Varly could use the rest anyway.

Posted by: BernieWolfeFan | December 9, 2009 2:14 PM | Report abuse

BB loves 55, and i think he probably knows a little more about hockey than all the schultz bashers around here! . . .and like others have said, the numbers don't lie ...also, if they gave out official 3rd assists, he'd have a pile of them because he probably makes more up-the-ice crisp passes that lead to to goals than any other D-man on the team. . .and he's always responsible in his own end, even if he's not racking up 'hits' . ..thats why the 55-52 pairing is working out so well . . .

Posted by: madmax521 | December 9, 2009 2:14 PM | Report abuse

yeah, for the record I'm not at all an Erskine hater. I like the grit he brings and he sticks up for our guys. Juice's days may be numbered... Hit Theo in the collarbone huh? He must've been aiming for the bench. LOL

Posted by: Chad8 | December 9, 2009 2:15 PM | Report abuse

You know, the quotes from BB in this post sort of remind me of Joe Gibbs V.1. All he needs now is to ask the fans to come out to games because the team needs them to beat (whichever team they're playing tonight). Then pick up NASCAR.

Posted by: superpaqman | December 9, 2009 2:16 PM | Report abuse

What are the lines going to look like tonight without Perreault?

Posted by: larryn703 | December 9, 2009 2:17 PM | Report abuse

I support Nylander's handling of what is McFee's and BB's temper tantrums.

Admittedly it would be nice to have the cap room, but I'm not going to even suggest that a player with a legitimate contract with a no movement clause sacrifice himself on McFee's alter. For what? For more arrogance by the team???

Nylander has been a professional and a gentleman. Good for him. And as far as becoming useless as one writer suggested, I don't think so. The absence of ware and tare this year will allow him to play longer into his career. Other teams don't want Nylander because he isn't any good. They don't want him because his contract is ludicrous. Even at half price.

Cordially,
RBlatch

Posted by: rblatch45 | December 9, 2009 2:19 PM | Report abuse

yup rblatch

Nylander could care less about hockey right now.

It is all about making sure he gets paid...it's what was promised, it's what he wants.

Posted by: SA-Town | December 9, 2009 2:23 PM | Report abuse

re: ochoocho. i've been watching the big boy fairly closely this season. one thing i have noticed, he is using his reach and stick length to his advantage. rememeber his missed sow chow in the ranger series last year? of course you do. well, i've noticed that in similar situations, while he clearly is not nimble enough to make a quick turn to keep up with a faster winger, he is taking advantage of the longer reach to either poke the puck away or force the man wider. in other words, he's recognizing his limiations and using his strengths.

i think he's been real solid. cant' remember the last penalty he took, much less whether it was a bad one. he still has trouble moving the puck sometimes but i think he's showing real development although it would appear he'll never become the big hitter we'd like him to be given his size.

Posted by: dcsportsfan1 | December 9, 2009 2:24 PM | Report abuse

Did the Nylander family ever come over or did they stay in Sweden?

Posted by: tominfl1 | December 9, 2009 2:27 PM | Report abuse

Thats fine if Nylander wants to wait it out and not go anywhere. But he must understand that should he get assignd to Hershey and then SC next season- he has no reason to complain.

I doubt that would happen, as I assume he'd just not report which I assume would void his contract. Either way- cap hit removed. Speculating, of course.

Posted by: Fro_ | December 9, 2009 2:28 PM | Report abuse

Fro_: It's potentially even worse for him next year. First they can waive him; if unclaimed, they can loan him out to any league that has an agreement with the NHL. So they can assign him to the Nome Polar Bears. And, if he doesn't report, he not only doesn't get paid but likely can't play anywhere else due to violation of contract.

I have been posting for awhile that come the trading deadline, he is only due in actual cash $1M for the balance of this year and $3M for next year. At that point, some team with need might see the value.

Posted by: tominfl1 | December 9, 2009 2:35 PM | Report abuse

nyls could retire from the nhl next year and his cap hit goes away.

Posted by: dcsportsfan1 | December 9, 2009 2:36 PM | Report abuse

Nylander should retire and join the Peace Corp

Posted by: SA-Town | December 9, 2009 2:41 PM | Report abuse

Circles got his NMC so that he could make sure he goes to a winning team. I really cannot blame him. I mean who would want to go play for a bad team either? That being said, I really would like it to be over so that GMGM and BB can put their ideal team together.

Posted by: pkendrick | December 9, 2009 2:42 PM | Report abuse

If I remember correctly, I suggested a Green/Sarge pairing back before either pre-season started or before the season started. My thinking then was that Sarge would be a good stay-at-home compliment to Greener's up ice tendencies.

Posted by: realoldcapsfan | December 9, 2009 2:42 PM | Report abuse

Dang it! Varly's injured. =( But I'm excited Neuvy's here. =) Hope Theo continues his good play of late. Buffalo just got shut out their last game.

Posted by: rachel216 | December 9, 2009 2:47 PM | Report abuse

I love all the Sarge love, ya'll my new friends...

How about some love my boy, E.Fehr... Let me hear it!!!!

Crickets

Crickets

Posted by: JSchon | December 9, 2009 3:02 PM | Report abuse

Damn the injury (or food poisoning) bug! Perreault was really hitting his stride, getting more ice time as a result, and is overdue. Woulda been nice to see him tonight.

Get well Matty!

Posted by: Sonyask | December 9, 2009 3:07 PM | Report abuse

... food poisoning ?

How can that happen to a professional? I thought they know what they have to eat (and where) ...
... at least, their body is their capital ...

Posted by: FCKoeln1 | December 9, 2009 3:21 PM | Report abuse

food poison = 12 Molson's and shots of scotch

Posted by: SA-Town | December 9, 2009 3:28 PM | Report abuse

I've been eating for 37 years and some change, I still haven't figured it out...

Posted by: JSchon | December 9, 2009 3:33 PM | Report abuse

@rblatch - Sure, by the time Nyls is 45, he will be very well rested and have very little "ware and tare." I have no sympathy for him. The team changed direction, going to a different system, and he just didn't fit in any more. They asked him to try to change his style of play and he refused. I've gotta believe that teams will not be lining up to pay serious money to an older guy with a history of injury and an inflexible attitude, who hasn't played much in recent years and has been doing nothing for months but attend the open skate at his local rink.

Posted by: zmega | December 9, 2009 3:34 PM | Report abuse

"...he is only due in actual cash $1M for the balance of this year and $3M for next year. At that point, some team with need might see the value."

That puts it in a different perspective. And I like it. I imagine he would like it as well, as I assume the only team(s) that would be interested in him would be a potential playoff team. Which is something he might be down with.

Posted by: Fro_ | December 9, 2009 3:35 PM | Report abuse

... food poisoning ?

... at least, their body is their capital ...

Posted by: FCKoeln1

He's a rookie so you can give him a pass on this one.

Posted by: pkendrick | December 9, 2009 3:37 PM | Report abuse

Food poisoning equals hangover - lqtm

Posted by: lylewimbledon | December 9, 2009 3:45 PM | Report abuse

What does Double Nickels have to do to earn the healthy scratch spot?

Posted by: CapsChick

Start playing badly? He's been playing fairly well since that game with the goal and long break out pass. It's like he got his confidence back or something in that game.

Posted by: BetterOffWithFedorov | December 9, 2009 3:45 PM | Report abuse

Nice to see a little Schultz love on here, finally.

For those of you who dig numbers, as part of an argument on another board I drew up a little spreadsheet that shows all of the defensemen who were invited to Team Canada's camp and some stats for the 2009-2010 regular season thus far. I also included Jeff Schultz because he got brought up weirdly somewhere in the argument, but the numbers suggest that he isn't all that different from these top defensemen around the league.

(The source for all of the stats in this spreadsheet is Behind the Net.)

If you're not familiar with the "Corsi" stat, it's an advanced / modified +/- that takes into account the quality of the team the player plays with and the quality of the competition against which he plays. It does tend to skew a lot in a small sample size, and you'll see that here in at least one case. For this purpose, I used the "relative Corsi", which is the player's Corsi relative to the rest of their team (average Corsi when they're on the ice as opposed to off the ice). It's a measure of just how much better that player makes their team.

The long and short of this for a Schultz discussion is that Schultz is not out of the big boys' league by any stretch. He's gained confidence and strength and is now one of the most effective defensemeen we've got. Scratching him would be plain stupid.

Posted by: kittypawz | December 9, 2009 3:48 PM | Report abuse

If I am the Caps I send Nylander to the ECHL or lower. Then he either plays and possibily gets a teams attention or he gets hurt and we can but him on LTIR and get some cap help.

Posted by: icehammer97 | December 9, 2009 3:52 PM | Report abuse

Well, Shultz wasn't as bad as everyone thought last season (you can sort adjusted number at behindthenet.ca and see for yourself...pick any category you want) but somehow everyone was all over him - particularly after the NYR goal. Truly, it was comical at times last season.

He's been very, very good this season and only Pothier can compare for defense. Schultz is 6'6" and 23-years old. My brother is 6'6" and didn't ungangle himself until he was about 25, and he was athletic, if that's the next question.

Everyone in here agrees that defensemen take some years to get really good at the position but we yelled and screamed last season at a 22-year old D-man in the NHL. 6'6"? On skates? Playing actual defense? I think the criticism was way too harsh.

Shultz and Green are going to be a pair in D.C. for a very, very long time.

Glad to see most coming around to that.

Schultz, a healthy scratch...that's pretty funny.

Posted by: saintex | December 9, 2009 3:54 PM | Report abuse

Nylander is eating gold cheetos on the Caps couch...the guest that would never leave!

Posted by: lylewimbledon | December 9, 2009 3:54 PM | Report abuse

What really intrigues me is, should the Capitals (knocking on wood) win Lord Stanley's Cup this year, Michael Nylander will get a ring and his name engraved without skating a single second of a single shift.

Wow.

Posted by: sandyflee | December 9, 2009 4:03 PM | Report abuse

If Nyles agrees to go to a KHL team and is released before the end of their season, does his cap hit affect the Caps?

Posted by: ablake70 | December 9, 2009 4:09 PM | Report abuse

no he wont...all he will get is another golden cheeto

Posted by: SA-Town | December 9, 2009 4:09 PM | Report abuse

ONCE AGAIN, IN THE MCPHEE HOUSEHOLD.

Today, Mr & Mrs McPhee are in the kitchen, George with cup o' coffee and the mrs begins talking in hushed tones:

"George, that man - the one in the underwear and robe and slippers - why...why is he in our house?"

"Him? Oh, that's Nylander. I gave him a NMC and now he says he won't leave."

"Well," she says, "of all the nerve. He just asked me if I'd bring him a bag of Chee-tos so he can sit on the couch and watch 'Oprah.'"

George sips his coffee. "Really? Who are her guests today?"

"George, really! Can't you send him to South Carolina or something?"

"Not till next July. Well, I'm off to the office. If Brian Burke calls, tell him I'll make him an offer he can't refuse."

"OK, George, bye. Don't forget to stop and get more Chee-tos."

Posted by: tominfl1 | December 9, 2009 4:10 PM | Report abuse

My question way up there about Double Nickels was a bit tongue-in-cheek, as he's been a lot better this season. Still, IIRC the last 4 healthy scratches have been Jurcina, Pothier, Poti and now Erskine. I just wonder if Double Nickels will be included in the rotation.

Posted by: CapsChick | December 9, 2009 4:18 PM | Report abuse

I have a soft spot in my heart for Erskine---not only for his heart during last year's playoffs (broken foot?), but because he reminds me of another gap-toothed redhead from a bygone era---Keith Magnusen.

Posted by: dccitizen1 | December 9, 2009 4:24 PM | Report abuse

@ theresa21:

Thanks for the suggestion about calling Kettler before going. I called yesterday and got no answer, but today I talked to someone and they don't have the right size. I'll have to try back next week. Anyway, just wanted to say thanks.

Posted by: TheDoubleAlex | December 9, 2009 4:28 PM | Report abuse

i have been a shultz backer and now all the idiots at the games that bash him and on boards look like idiots he is a quality dman the numbers show this is the new nhl and he fits so the guys in section 432 that bash shultz u know nothing about hockey and must be a new fan

Posted by: baltraven52 | December 9, 2009 4:43 PM | Report abuse

I will be the first to admit that I kicked Shultz when he was down last year, and he is making me eat my words. While he was pretty haggard at times last year, he is having a very good year this year. It's great to see, and the kid is still very young, so he could prove to be very, very valuable if he continues to improve in the coming years.

Posted by: Aldred15 | December 9, 2009 4:44 PM | Report abuse

Everyone's supposedly has been a Schultz backer now.

Posted by: richmondphil | December 9, 2009 4:48 PM | Report abuse

Everyone's supposedly has been a Schultz backer now.

Posted by: richmondphil | December 9, 2009 4:48 PM |

Amazing how that happens, isn't it? I'd rather read some lovin' then see some haters spouting off nonsense though.

Heading to Hard Times (or Mr. Days if HT is crowded) in Clarendon if anyone's interested.

Posted by: Fro_ | December 9, 2009 5:15 PM | Report abuse

"re: ochoocho. i've been watching the big boy fairly closely this season....
Posted by: dcsportsfan1 | December 9, 2009 2:24 PM"

uh, I'm pretty sure there no 88 on the Capitals

Posted by: Wiley_One1 | December 9, 2009 5:29 PM | Report abuse

How bout this for a fun hypothetical in regards to Erskine: What if he were to play forward instead of D? You keep him around for the tough guy/enforcer role, can put him out there to have a 3rd defenseman, and is not as much as a liability defensively since he would not be a Dman. I'm not saying he's a horrible Dman, and I like him, so I don't want to get rid of him or anything like that.Just a point to ponder I guess.

Posted by: Capcrazy77 | December 9, 2009 5:31 PM | Report abuse

Oh no..

Posted by: SMWE357 | December 9, 2009 5:39 PM | Report abuse

Everyone's supposedly has been a Schultz backer now.

Posted by: richmondphil

Is there a way to search past blogs?

Note that the question isn't directed at you like you should know the answer, it's just that your statement caused me to wonder about that.

Posted by: BetterOffWithFedorov | December 9, 2009 5:41 PM | Report abuse

I think I've always been a Schultz supporter as "good bang for the buck." Also I'm on record as having him next year get a $1.5M contract and JSchon has him at $1.75M.

Rocking the white here with shrimp and pasta and 2007 Edna Valley chardonnay.

BTW, it's 80 here still in Orlando. Might have to turn the a/c on. You guys don't know how lucky you have it.

Posted by: tominfl1 | December 9, 2009 5:55 PM | Report abuse

Past blogs are available. Not to brag, but you'll find me among the Schultz defenders. So, OK I bragged.

Posted by: Sonyask | December 9, 2009 5:57 PM | Report abuse

Capcrazy77:
i don't think erskine skates well enough to play forward. they already have sloan that they fell comfortable with on the front line and i believe either laich or laing played some d when it was needed before.

Posted by: Capt_Kirk_in_AZ | December 9, 2009 6:00 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Sonyask

Okay, could you tell me how? I want to brag too. :)

Posted by: BetterOffWithFedorov | December 9, 2009 6:00 PM | Report abuse

Yeah, it was hell here in St Pete today as well. We had to put the air on to keep the temp in the house below 80.

Posted by: realoldcapsfan | December 9, 2009 6:01 PM | Report abuse

Okay, so among the supposed Schultz lovers I don't see very many of you who actually spell his name correctly.

Posted by: kittypawz | December 9, 2009 6:11 PM | Report abuse

Green is worth every penny. Erskine when he re-signed I said was like an $8 bottle of wine you paid $12 for. Jurcina I've always been lukewarm at price and ShaMo tepid at best. Pothier I like even at $2.5M and Poti no way at the price.

Sloan is like rose wine because he goes with either white or red meat (OK, that didn't sound right).

Posted by: tominfl1 | December 9, 2009 6:16 PM | Report abuse

Wiley, I meant cincocinco...no hablo espanol too good.

Posted by: dcsportsfan1 | December 9, 2009 6:17 PM | Report abuse

2003 NHL Draft... Or the we could've gotten Ryan Getzlaf draft...

My boy E.Fehr after losing a year due to back surgery, off-season shoulder(s) surgery, no training camp is finally playing significant minutes with quality pivots and producing in a big way.

And yes, there are a few players selected after E.Fehr that have achieved more in their time in the NHL than my boy, but can't that be said about every draft, by every team at some point? I mean Datsyuk was a 6th rounder, right? I mean 25 teams bypassed Jeff Schultz, the Rangers did it twice! Jeff Schultz or Wade Redden? Give me the Sarge brotha (and sista's).

Now, my boy E.Fehr. Lets look back at the draft.

Posted by: JSchon | December 9, 2009 6:19 PM | Report abuse

1. MAF - Pedestrian numbers this year, Varlamov is as good, if not better, as he was his rookie season. Advantage Fehr (its hard to compare RW's to Goalies)
2. E.Staal - What is up with him? 13 points in 19 games, and get this, he's paid $8.25M per year. E.Staal 0.0328ppmp, E.Fehr 0.0608ppmp. Advantage Fehr.
3. N.Horton - Natedog is pretty steady, not great, his best season has been 62 points (twice however). Its reasonable to think that Fehr can project out to 50 points at his current .75 ppg. Advantage tie.
4. N.Zherdev - dude is in KHL. Advantage E.Fehr.
5. T.Vanek - Player 1, 8G 10A +/-0 and is paid $891K per goal, Player 2, 8G 7A +9 and is paid $97K per goal. Advantage Player 2 or E.Fehr for those not following.
6. M.Michalek - I like this guy a lot. I think Fehr is a better 2-way guy than he is. Slight edge M.Michalek.
7. R.Suter - Solid D guy. Advantage R.Suter.
8. B.Coburn - I compare this #8 pick to our own M.Green who was drafted #29. One guy has clearly underachieved. Advantage E.Fehr (cause I say so)
9. D.Phaneuf - C'mon his name is Dion Phaneuf. That knocks him down a couple of notches, but I can't slip this by you smart people. Advantage D.Phaneuf.
10. A.Kostitsyn - This guy is way into some shady stuff and he looks like Tom Petty after a 4 month bender. Advantage E.Fehr.
11. J.Carter - Make him go right and effectively stop him. But you can't deny his 46 goals last season. Advantage J.Carter.
12. H.Jessiman - In the AHL. Advantage E.Fehr.
13. D.Brown - I really, really like D.Brown. Advantage to D.Brown.
14. B.Seabrook - Stud. Advantage E.Fehr, kidding.
15. R.Nilsson - Nilsson hasn't quite lived up to his promise and is 3rd line C on a average team. Advantage E.Fehr.

Posted by: JSchon | December 9, 2009 6:19 PM | Report abuse

Keith Aucoin was recalled, so no Mathieu Perreault tonight.

Posted by: vtcaps08 | December 9, 2009 6:20 PM | Report abuse

16. S.Bernier - This guy has been traded twice? 8G in 29G, verdict? Advantage E.Fehr.
17. Z.Parise - Edmontonians are still talking about trading him away. Advantage Z.Parise.
18. E.Fehr - Stats are eerily similar. Tie.
19. R.Getzlaf - C'mon, this draft was named after him. Advantage R.Getzlaf.
20. B.Burns - Solid, but we have better blueliners than Mr.Burns. Tie.
21. M.Stuart - 3rd pairing D guy. Advantage E.Fehr.
22. M.Pouliot - Can't scratch the Oilers lineup. Advantage E.Fehr.
23. R.Kesler - He would look great in Capitals uni. Advantage R.Kesler.
24. M.Richards - I hate this guy but he had brought it, maybe not this year. Advantage M.Richards.
25. A.Stewart - I don't know what this guy is doing. Advantage E.Fehr.
26. B.Boyle - Please, AHL fodder. Advantage E.Fehr.
27. J.Tembeillini - Decent start to his pro career. Advantage E.Fehr
28. C.Perry - Man oh man, did people miss this one. Advantage C.Perry.
29. P.Eaves - On the injury riddled Red Wings and plays 12mpg. Advantage E.Fehr.
30. S.Belle - AHL. Advantage E.Fehr.

In summary, I think we could also rename this draft "We could've had C.Perry". E.Fehr represents very well in this draft, much better than last December.

Posted by: JSchon | December 9, 2009 6:22 PM | Report abuse

@JSchon

Nice post on the first round picks of Fehr's year. I read with great interest as I too am a Fehr booster. (And I consider it my daughter's draft class as this involves the guys who are her age.)

If Fehr keeps doing so well using Ovi's stick, should they start calling that brand of stick, the Ovifehr. (Other suggestions I've seen include: FehrOv, Hotstick)

Posted by: CapsFan75 | December 9, 2009 6:31 PM | Report abuse

Get well, Matty P. Sorry to hear you're sick. (And in a not so wonderful coincidence, my younger daughter started having stomach problems yesterday, as well.)

Posted by: CapsFan75 | December 9, 2009 6:32 PM | Report abuse

@tominfl1

It dawned on me today. We need a Company G in the Doofus Brigade, G to stand for goons. Members include: Gleason, Kaleta, Carcillo, Il Duco, and Steve Downie.

Posted by: CapsFan75 | December 9, 2009 6:37 PM | Report abuse

As others have pointed out, Miller's GAA is unreal. But the save percentage is abysmal. Miller gives up almost twice as many goals as shots he faces.

Time to hire a copy editor!

Posted by: BigMogilny | December 9, 2009 6:38 PM | Report abuse

@Jschon

In the totally picky department, the 27th pick's last name is spelled "Tambellini". Jeff Tambellini is the son of Edmonton's GM and there is also a restaurant in Pittsburgh where my husband and I once had dinner (to celebrate either my birthday or my husband's).

Posted by: CapsFan75 | December 9, 2009 6:39 PM | Report abuse

I have had a number of meals at Tambellini's in Pgh.

Posted by: uncatim | December 9, 2009 6:44 PM | Report abuse

2. E.Staal - What is up with him?

He staaled out.

BTW, every time I watch a game with Tambellini I start doing "Hey, mister Tambellini man" in my head and I can't stop.

And if Fehr was good value at 18, whgat do we call Green at 29 and Varly at 23?

Maybe one day GMGM will get his due.

Posted by: tominfl1 | December 9, 2009 6:49 PM | Report abuse

@tominfl1

HA HA HA. Can't wait for the next McPhee household installment. Now back to my reading.

Posted by: Capsyoungguns | December 9, 2009 6:57 PM | Report abuse

And if Fehr was good value at 18, whgat do we call Green at 29 and Varly at 23?

Maybe one day GMGM will get his due.

Posted by: tominfl1

Nope not in this crowd. We're the tough love group. But each season he's making it harder for the trolls to come out and yell about GMGM.

Now to the game!

Posted by: Capsyoungguns | December 9, 2009 7:03 PM | Report abuse

"Miller, an early MVP candidate who has played all but three games for the Sabres, leads the league in goals against average (.935) and save percentage (1.90)."

If Miller is saving close to 200% of all shots on goals then his goals against average should be 0. I think you have your two stats switched. It should probably read:
"Miller, an early MVP candidate who has played all but three games for the Sabres, leads the league in goals against average (1.90) and save percentage (.935)."

Posted by: InShadows | December 10, 2009 8:15 AM | Report abuse