Varlamov to start Game 5

Washington Capitals Coach Bruce Boudreau was about the most committal he's been recently in revealing today that Semyon Varlamov will be the starting goalie for Game 5 Friday night at Verizon Center, where the team has a chance to end its first-round series against Montreal.

Varlamov has been brilliant at times and steady throughout since he replaced Jose Theodore early in Game 2 after Theodore surrendered two goals on two shots in an eventual 6-5 overtime win.

Although Boudreau is going with Varlamov for Game 5, he would not elaborate on his plans beyond that.

"To me it's day to day," Boudreau said. "I can assure you that I think Varly is going to start tomorrow, but after that, I don't know what's going on."

By Gene Wang  |  April 22, 2010; 1:23 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: A long trip home
Next: In playoffs, Caps are digging deeper

Comments

Varlamov replace theodore in GAME 2 not game 1 and the outcome of that game was 6-5 ot win, game 1 was a 3-2 ot loss.

Posted by: Theo60 | April 22, 2010 1:50 PM | Report abuse

Any word on a Montreal goalie?

Posted by: GoCaps08 | April 22, 2010 1:51 PM | Report abuse

He replaced Theo in Game 2. C'mon now...

Posted by: TheOriginalEgon | April 22, 2010 1:53 PM | Report abuse

I suppose we should expect as much from a guy who shares a nickname with Evgeni Malkin.

Posted by: TheOriginalEgon | April 22, 2010 1:54 PM | Report abuse

Beaupre33 -

Varly is starting - what a disgrace.

Posted by: capsfansince74 | April 22, 2010 2:00 PM | Report abuse

This is coming from the same guy who reported Ovi took the shot that hurt Theo before game 1.

Posted by: SuperZ3383 | April 22, 2010 2:00 PM | Report abuse

Any word on a Montreal goalie?

Posted by: GoCaps08

Short of Jacques Martin firing up a time machine and bringing back Patrick Roy from 1986, does it really matter? Their goalies have both been lit up like Christmas trees and at this point lost their ability to take control of a game.

Posted by: jdove80 | April 22, 2010 2:01 PM | Report abuse

if it ain't broke, don't fix it (ever heard that before?) - CAPS ALL THE WAY!! (one game at a time)

Posted by: Satchelass | April 22, 2010 2:02 PM | Report abuse

We chased Halak in game 3 and then Price melted down last night, a la Everson Walls trying to break up the Skins' Fun Bunch in '83, drawing not one, but TWO unsportsmanlike conduct penalties. Montreal's goalie situation is about 100 times more interesting than ours, hehe.

Posted by: cali_snowboarder | April 22, 2010 2:04 PM | Report abuse

all you have to look at is their career playoff records.

Posted by: joek443 | April 22, 2010 2:06 PM | Report abuse

"if you don't know that Varly is a much better PLAYOFF goalie than Theo by now, you don't know much about anything."

------

Tell that to Mike "Not Very" Wise, lol

Posted by: cali_snowboarder | April 22, 2010 2:08 PM | Report abuse

Any word on a Montreal goalie?

Posted by: GoCaps08 | April 22, 2010 1:51 PM

Roy. I hear he is upset Varly keeps doing his Statue of Liberty glove thing...

Posted by: igor_k17 | April 22, 2010 2:11 PM | Report abuse

Side note. Believe it or not you could get tickets to tonight's Devils/Flyers game for as little as $40.82 in the upper deck. If you really want to spring for some tickets you could sit in the lower level, section 3, for $82.80. I'd be a little optomistic if I were a Devils fan. They have Brodeur in net and the Flyers have lost the services of Carter and Gagne.

Posted by: fanohock1 | April 22, 2010 2:16 PM | Report abuse

After the way he has performed, Varly deserves to start at home in what I hope to be the end of this series.

STICK A FORK IN 'EM!

Posted by: wtf_e_fehr | April 22, 2010 2:16 PM | Report abuse

Beaupre33 -

Varly is starting - what a disgrace.

Posted by: capsfansince74

The disgrace is you wishing someone gone for the rest of the playoffs. If you're too dumb to realize that, well I don't know what to tell you. It's a team game. Look at how they got here. You and Joke443 keep repeating yourselves over and over and over and over. I understand your life outside the interweb must be that sad along with Joke443; who's claim to fame is calling for one move last year in the playoffs. Wow that makes both you guys experts since you've been a fan since 1974.

If you were named _stevo, then it would be different; I would be bowing down to you. Instead I just have to shake my head with each comment you guys write.

Posted by: beaupre33 | April 22, 2010 2:31 PM | Report abuse

I think we should make all the players play with the wrong handed stick, and sing Ole'Ole'Ole the entire game as we pull off a 4 goal 3rd period comeback to seal the series on Friday night...

The Habs love it...

Posted by: SA-Town | April 22, 2010 2:31 PM | Report abuse

I feel sort of bad for Theo after his unbeaten run. I also had this premonition that we were going to ride him to the Cup and then have a dilemma about not having the $$$ to resign him. Hope Varly keeps it up, though.

Posted by: thomas20 | April 22, 2010 2:38 PM | Report abuse

Patrick Roy haha, I'm surprised he's not in jail right now.

Posted by: beaupre33 | April 22, 2010 2:41 PM | Report abuse

Man, the bitterness on here today is almost frightening.....frighteningly funny that is....and for once I am not involved in it!

Seriously though, Varly has earned the right to be the starter until he shows a chinck in the armor....I personally hope that does not happen and he carries us to the promised land. Completely respect what Theo has done this year and everything he has been through but you have to ride the hot hand from here on out!

Posted by: PhilR | April 22, 2010 2:44 PM | Report abuse

if you're too dumb to realize that you can only play one goalie at a time and there's no such thing as a goalie rotaion in playoff hockey, you just don't know much about the game.

yes Theo helped them get to this point and he had a great regular season but it should be clear to EVERYONE by now who is the better playoff goalie for this team.

Posted by: joek443 | April 22, 2010 2:46 PM | Report abuse

Doesn't matter who starts. If the series turn out the way they're going now, the 2 teams I feared the most -- Jersey and Ottawa, are gone.

We can certainly play with and will be favored to beat Philly and the winner of Boston/Pittsburgh, so long as we get at least decent goaltending. The "weakness" is actually a strength. We have 2 goalies who can both play at a moment's notice and play well. I wouldn't discount Theodore at all - I think he'd be fine against any of the likely remaining teams.

Posted by: wahoo_Mike | April 22, 2010 2:48 PM | Report abuse

@Thomas20

Everyone talks about Theo's unbeaten run, but the truth is, that doesn't count for much. First, in the middle of that run everyone forgets that he was pulled early from a game and Varly came in (and was subsequently saddled with the loss). Not that Theo's record with one loss is bad, it is still spectacular, but he did get pulled from one game in the middle of that run. Also, if you watched Theo's meltdown last year in the playoffs, and how stellar Varly was, than you know Theo had to put a run together like that to even have a chance to take the job from Varly.

Posted by: VarlyisNarly | April 22, 2010 2:48 PM | Report abuse

PhilR,
see, that stance I can respect. dbagfrom1974 wants to erase Theo from the team completely which is ridiculous.

Posted by: beaupre33 | April 22, 2010 2:48 PM | Report abuse

Why is anyone shocked that BB is going with Varly? The guy has won 3 straight games, of course he gets the start. With all respect to Theo, this isn't the end of the regular season when the Caps had the luxury of letting these guys build their confidence. Varly will be the guy until he loses or is injured.

Posted by: ablake70 | April 22, 2010 2:50 PM | Report abuse

beaupre33,

Theo won't be back though. It'll be Varly and Neuvirth from here on out.

Posted by: VarlyisNarly | April 22, 2010 2:51 PM | Report abuse

dumb to NOT realize...

Posted by: joek443 | April 22, 2010 2:51 PM | Report abuse

hey joke443,
why don't you just cut and paste from your last couple of comments. it'll make it easier for you.

Posted by: beaupre33 | April 22, 2010 2:51 PM | Report abuse

beaupre33,

Theo won't be back though. It'll be Varly and Neuvirth from here on out.

Posted by: VarlyisNarly | April 22, 2010 2:51 PM

Dude I'm not arguing with who they are going with in the playoffs. I already know who's in the system.

Posted by: beaupre33 | April 22, 2010 2:52 PM | Report abuse

By here on out I mean starting next season...I obviously don't mean for this year's playoffs.

Posted by: VarlyisNarly | April 22, 2010 2:53 PM | Report abuse

beaupre33 - I do think Theo had a heck of a year though, with everything he went through. It's too bad he couldn't put it together in the playoffs. Hopefully he'll get a chance to try it again somewhere.

Posted by: VarlyisNarly | April 22, 2010 2:55 PM | Report abuse

and the Flyers have lost the services of Carter and Gagne.

Posted by: fanohock1 | April 22, 2010 2:16 PM

Insert tasteless (yet ageless) Hartnell wife/Carter joke here.

Posted by: Fro_ | April 22, 2010 2:55 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: VarlyisNarly | April 22, 2010 2:53 PM

Yeah I know... Theo's the bridge. Let's get Varlamov as much playoff experience as possible. I already get that. Trust me, I know.

Posted by: beaupre33 | April 22, 2010 2:56 PM | Report abuse

Holtby is the future

Posted by: doughless | April 22, 2010 2:59 PM | Report abuse

Either way, you never know what Bruce is gonna do moving forward. I'm all for whatever goalie-moves it takes to get as far into the playoffs as possible. I just can't stand the so-called experts on here that have never played in goal or hockey for that matter giving their expert non-advice/ commentary. It's quite annoying yet comedic at the same time.

Posted by: beaupre33 | April 22, 2010 2:59 PM | Report abuse

I see Theo getting back in if there is a back to back in the furture rounds as Varly's stamina may still be an issue....don't want to wear the horse you are riding out either.

So two scenario's I see for seeing Theo in net as a Cap again......1) Varly gets blown out in a game or hurt.....2) back to back games in one of the next two rounds.

Posted by: PhilR | April 22, 2010 3:00 PM | Report abuse

@doughless

He'll be in the mix, but Neuvirth and Varly have had REALLY good showings in DC. I think Holtby will have a tough time cracking that line up to even get a chance to get in there unless someone gets hurt.

Posted by: VarlyisNarly | April 22, 2010 3:01 PM | Report abuse

No Shi!

Posted by: nativedc | April 22, 2010 3:01 PM | Report abuse

maybe Theo will land in philly next year, that should be fun... hopefully they will overpay him.

Posted by: joek443 | April 22, 2010 3:01 PM | Report abuse

As for who that Habs will start the wise move would be Halak. He actually got a win and stood up fairly well against the Caps offense before getting the early hook. Carey is a head case that can breakdown at any time. Either way the Caps are the better team.

Posted by: cup4caps | April 22, 2010 3:01 PM | Report abuse

opinions from people with screen names that include their mancrush are suspect. if you haven't noticed, Holtby is busy single-handed crushing the AHL.

Posted by: doughless | April 22, 2010 3:03 PM | Report abuse

@PhilR

I think you're right on. I think with Varly coming off the injuries this season, you have to question his stamina. Just like his lack of playing time last year led to him getting worn down. I think if you have a back-to-back you could see Theo, but I wonder if there is a back-to-back in a close series if that would still be the case. Or if Theo steals the show when he gets back in there (and I mean REALLY steals the show), will BB then stick with Theo again or go back to Varly?

Posted by: VarlyisNarly | April 22, 2010 3:04 PM | Report abuse

I have to agree with doughless here, from watching all three I think Holtby will end up being the best of the bunch.....assuming of course he can stay healthy. The kid is a monster in net.

Posted by: PhilR | April 22, 2010 3:06 PM | Report abuse

@doughless - there is a difference between the AHL and the NHL. Not saying that Holtby isn't good, I think he is exceptional, but when you have two guys who have proven it in the NHL it's tough to bring up the "other" guy.

Posted by: VarlyisNarly | April 22, 2010 3:07 PM | Report abuse

have some of you people started watching playoff hockey yesterday?

when has "goalie by committee" EVER worked in the playoffs?? has any of you ever seen a starting goalie get a "rest" in the playoffs??? simply amazing...

Posted by: joek443 | April 22, 2010 3:07 PM | Report abuse

PhilR- And I'm not saying he won't get there, I just think Neuvirth has the advantage.

Posted by: VarlyisNarly | April 22, 2010 3:08 PM | Report abuse

joek443 - if you watched the playoffs at all last year, you would know exactly why people are talking about giving Varly a "break".

Posted by: VarlyisNarly | April 22, 2010 3:09 PM | Report abuse

Huge respect for Theo and what he's been through [personally and professionally] and his good work - but no way you ride anybody but Varlamov from here on out. No way we deserved to be even in that game last night after that 2nd period barrage. Varlamov is even making Corvo look like an adequate PKer, he's playing so well.

Posted by: Timbo_1 | April 22, 2010 3:10 PM | Report abuse

have some of you people started watching playoff hockey yesterday?

Posted by: joek443

So once again if everyone here does not agree with your vast hockey knowledge we are all morons and you are right! If you watched last years playoffs you saw that Varly ran out of gas against the Pens, what was that caused by??? BACK TO BACK GAMES had everything to do with it in my opinion......you can bash and call me names all you want but there are many other very knowledgeable hockey fans on here that agree with me on this.

Posted by: PhilR | April 22, 2010 3:15 PM | Report abuse

Last year Varly was stellar for the first half of the second round. Then he started to get tired, and games 4 and 5 back to back (thanks to Yanni/TV?) finished him off. By the last game he was just fried. We all remember how it went.

Varly is very athletic, and he uses his athleticism to the max, but this style can be very exhausting. I am not sure he has learned yet how to pace himself, although Irbe supposedly has addressed that.

Any coach (even Bykov!) can pull his goalie *after* he cost you a game. A coach who can see it *before* such need becomes obvious to the hockey dunces (like all of us here are ;-) gets to coach in the NHL (not fantasy league) for a long time.

In retrospect, were Varly given a one game rest in #4 or #5 last year, who knows...

Posted by: igor_k17 | April 22, 2010 3:17 PM | Report abuse

@Beaupre33

"We hopefully have seen the last of Theo this playoffs. No offense to Theo, but Varly has got to be the guy the rest of the way. Even if he loses tomorrow, I'd stick with the kid."

That was my exact quote earlier. What is so bad about that post? I think Theo did a great job this year - a big part of the reason we had such a great season. That being said - I think we need to pick one goalie and ride him to the cup to win it all. I think Varly is the one to go with. He has been great so far and he was great last year in the playoffs - minus game 7 vs the Pens.

If that means I'm not a fan or a D-Bag as you claim - well, than go suck one you moron.

Posted by: capsfansince74 | April 22, 2010 3:18 PM | Report abuse

@ VarlyisNarly

there is NO such thing as "resting" your starting goalie or any of your best players in the playoffs unless the score is 6-1 going into the 3rd period... or maybe if you have a 3 games to 0 lead.

yes I watched every minute of the playoffs last year and I know Varly ran outta gas in the end. hopefully all the strength and conditioning work he had to do while he was out will help prevent that this year.

Posted by: joek443 | April 22, 2010 3:19 PM | Report abuse

STICK A FORK IN 'EM!

Posted by: wtf_e_fehr

Yeah, Buddy!

After Price's meltdown, the Habs have to go back to Halak, don't they? On the other hand, the little guy seems a bit uncomfortable when there is a lot of activity in the crease. Not a lot of great choices for the Habs.

Posted by: zmega | April 22, 2010 3:24 PM | Report abuse

I think Theo may get a game or two here and there. I know you should pick a goalie and ride him to the cup, but Varly has tired out in the past (game 7 last year). It'll be very valuable to be able to have Varly get a couple days rest every once and awhile

Posted by: _stevo | April 22, 2010 3:24 PM | Report abuse

@joek443

I understand what you're saying, but I don't want to hope Varly can make it all the way. Don't you think he was doing strength and conditioning last year too? I just don't think you want to push too hard on a guy who recently came back from injury when you have another goaltender that played as well as Theo this year. I say if you have back-to-back games with a starting goaltender that got worn down from last years playoffs, and a backup that played the way Theo did this year, you have to think about putting him in there. That's my opinion. I wouldn't object either way, but playing Varly that much makes me worried.

Posted by: VarlyisNarly | April 22, 2010 3:26 PM | Report abuse

Maybe after their trip home yesterday, they'll have more motivation to win and avoid boarding a plane again.

Posted by: LloydChristmas | April 22, 2010 3:31 PM | Report abuse

Like I said. Pure. Comedy.

Posted by: beaupre33 | April 22, 2010 3:31 PM | Report abuse

....um, wow. Really people? Maybe you should argue ideas instead of calling each other names for once. (No wonder that one guy got hit with the banhammer at Japers'.) You sound like a bunch of kids on a playground.

Personally, I think there's a lot more hockey to be played. Remember, every series is different and has a different tone. Varly's always done well against Montreal, from his very beginning in the NHL. Theodore struggles against MTL. This is not news, either. OTOH, indications are that the second round will be WSH-PHI and PIT-BOS. (Not guaranteed, but that's the most likely outcome given current series status in the East.) If the Caps do face the Flyers, I'd rather have Theodore in - he's done well against them this year and Varly has struggled. Let's take it one series at a time and choose the most appropriate goalie for the series.

Posted by: kittypawz | April 22, 2010 3:33 PM | Report abuse

I really don't know how much time Varly spent in the weight room last year but you would hope after seeing what happened to him in the playoffs last year, everyone in the organization has made a concerted effort to address that issue.

I'm sure it was no accident that the new goalie coach, Irbe is fluent in Russian.

Posted by: joek443 | April 22, 2010 3:33 PM | Report abuse

Please forgive my ignorance on the subject, but is Neuvirth (and by extension, Holtby) even eligible to dress for the Caps in these playoff?

Maybe as an emergency injury call-up, but somehow I don't think so.

A little help, please?

Posted by: Rhino40 | April 22, 2010 3:33 PM | Report abuse

I'm watching the replay of the game last night on NHL Network and one thing about Varly that's quite obvious: he uses a LOT of energy. And that, I believe, contributes to being injury prone, or to paraphrase Gabby, being tired makes you more susceptible to injuries. I doubt he's ever going to be a 70 game a year guy. Either the Caps are gonna have to use both him and Neuvirth for the next few years or Varly'll be trade bait, because you can't rely on him being your Number 1 guy for a 82 game season

Posted by: TempusFugitRGV1 | April 22, 2010 3:39 PM | Report abuse

@joek443 - Irbe's ability to speak Russian was definitely one of the main reasons he was brought in. All I'm saying is that Varly got worn down last year and he was 100% healthy. This year he is coming back from injury, so if you have a back-to-back game you have to think about how that will affect him and consider starting Theo.

@Rhino40 - We weren't talking about Neuvirth or Holtby playing in these playoffs. We were talking about who the two goalies in DC will be next season.

Posted by: VarlyisNarly | April 22, 2010 3:40 PM | Report abuse

@Rhino40: As an emergency call-up, yes, he is. The NHL team can make just four non-emergency callups to the team between the trade deadline and the time their AHL affiliate's season is done. As long as Hershey is in the playoffs, they get just four call-ups.

Posted by: kittypawz | April 22, 2010 3:40 PM | Report abuse

@Tempus

Yes but Varlamov and Irbe have both been quoted in saying that his core and overall strength is way above last year. He seems to have worked on things which would help prevent injuries in the future.

Posted by: richmondphil | April 22, 2010 3:41 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: fanohock1 | April 22, 2010 2:16 PM |

My friend was telling me about the deal they had...2 upper bowl tickets for 100 bucks total, but then you get moved to the lower bowl for free and get a meal.

Posted by: richmondphil | April 22, 2010 3:44 PM | Report abuse

@doughless:
while a couple games doesn't determine success in the playoffs, Holtby is having a rough time of it...

and Neuvy is cruisin'

Posted by: FrankM73 | April 22, 2010 3:44 PM | Report abuse

@Tempus

Posted by: richmondphil | April 22, 2010 3:41 PM

Yeah. Keeping my fingers crossed on that one.

Posted by: beaupre33 | April 22, 2010 3:44 PM | Report abuse

Just so I'm clear on this, the argument is about who will be in goal 5 games or so down the road? I guess Stevo is not the only one with a crystal ball.

Posted by: zmega | April 22, 2010 3:45 PM | Report abuse

Holtby is the future

Posted by: doughless | April 22, 2010 2:59 PM |

lol.

Posted by: richmondphil | April 22, 2010 3:46 PM | Report abuse

I think BB wants to get this series over in 5 games so the players can get a little rest before they likely play Philly or Boston. Varly is money in the bank vs. Montreal whereas Theo could be hot or cold. No point in risking the series going back to Montreal by not riding the hot goaltender. I suspect Montreal will go back to Halak after Price's meltdown in Game 4, but think both goalies are shaky.

As long as the Caps stay out of the box and keep up the forechecking with no sloppy TO's, there is no way Montreal should even be in Game 5.

Posted by: wizfan89 | April 22, 2010 3:47 PM | Report abuse

@kittypawz: That is some good and logical thinking. We obviously don't want to look past this series, but if it goes as you suggest, I suspect that Theo could get a game against Philly to avoid overworking Varly.

Posted by: ccCapsfan | April 22, 2010 3:47 PM | Report abuse

Holtby not close to being in Varlamov's class athletically - or Neuvirth's, for that matter.

Posted by: Timbo_1 | April 22, 2010 3:48 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: zmega | April 22, 2010 3:45 PM

There's no real argument. It's gonna be settled on a game-by-game basis. Some experts here think that Theo should be done for the rest of the Stanley Cup playoffs which is a ridiculous assertion.

Posted by: beaupre33 | April 22, 2010 3:49 PM | Report abuse

@Igor - good point. And, hell yes Bykov got outcoached. That was brutal.

Posted by: Timbo_1 | April 22, 2010 3:49 PM | Report abuse

And to clarify; Holtby could very well be the goalie of the future. It's the fact that he's so sure of himself that he makes such a bold and edgy claim.

Obviously if it was that easy to spot out for him, the Capitals need to hire doughless asap!

Posted by: richmondphil | April 22, 2010 3:50 PM | Report abuse

@ VarlyisNarly

I'm not trying to argue whether or not it would be a good idea to rest Varly or any other player in the playoffs. I suppose an argument could be made in favor of that idea.

I just don't think any coach would do it. I've never seen anyone do it and don't think anyone will try because they would be opening themselves up for all kinds of second-guessing.

Posted by: joek443 | April 22, 2010 3:51 PM | Report abuse

@Tempus

Posted by: richmondphil | April 22, 2010 3:41 PM

Yeah. Keeping my fingers crossed on that one.

Posted by: beaupre33

Me too. I still can't see him ever being a 70 game a year guy, even if he stays healthy. But my own personal opinion is playing a guy 70/yr is stupid. Case in point: Brodeur. Look at his choke against Carolina last year and Philly this year. The Caps'll need a good backup, or for Gabby to rotate Varly and Nuevy. Holtby had an OK start to his professional career, but I don't see him as being anything other than a backup/career AHLer/career Euro

Posted by: TempusFugitRGV1 | April 22, 2010 3:55 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: igor_k17 | April 22, 2010 3:17 PM |

McClellan was given the same harsh treatment for not pulling the same goalie in question (Nabby) in Game 2 of the series against the Avs.

I think they ended up winning the game, but still. It goes to show how well BB can read his goaltenders.

Posted by: richmondphil | April 22, 2010 3:55 PM | Report abuse

@joek443 - I think if anyone would do it, BB would do it. Everyone has said that the Caps aren't built right to make a run for the Cup (not just Umberger), but the Caps built the team this way and are going to give it a shot. Everyone said the reason they didn't make a deep run last year was because they didn't have the crease clearing defensemen, but that didn't make GMGM sell the farm to pick one up.

All I'm saying is that there are a lot of things about BB and the Caps that defy "normal playoff logic", so if anyone is going to change up goalies, it'll be BB.

Posted by: VarlyisNarly | April 22, 2010 3:56 PM | Report abuse

@joek443

Just because no one has used a goalie by committee before doesn't mean it can't work. The reason there is no proof to show it could work is that it has never been tried before with a team performing successfully in the playoffs. Goalies are only removed after poor performances usually in losses (this year being one of those rare exceptions because of the great comeback).

I think you absolutely stick with Varly for as long as he continues to play well. If he starts to get shaky I would be absolutely fine with going back to Theo.

If Varly had a terrible game 1 against the Pens (making a lot of assumptions that it could happen, but this is just a hypothetical) I would be fine with BB going back to Theo. Theo played well against the Pens this year and has confidence playing against them.

Being hesitant to make a switch when you see someone's performance is declining is what cost you in the playoffs. If you wait until a goalie loses two or three then it's already too late.

It's the playoffs, go with the hot goalie and if that goalie falters, then switch back.

Posted by: sgm3 | April 22, 2010 3:56 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: TempusFugitRGV1 | April 22, 2010 3:55 PM

I think this claim is as ridiculous to make as doughless's claim that he's "the future."

I don't watch much Bears hockey, but I'm not seeing how you guys can make such bold claims in someone's career so early. Especially goalies, where we don't see some guys peaking until the late 20s and 30s. (Backstrom, Thomas, etc)

Posted by: richmondphil | April 22, 2010 3:58 PM | Report abuse

It doesnt matter who is in goal. We can win with either of them in net. It would be difficult taking Varly out with how he has played. I don't think we have seen the last of Theo this year, and I am a bit surprised (not disappointed) that BB already has said Varly will be in net Friday.

I think it would be fn to see Price in net the next game for the Habs...... the Price is NOT Right!!

So are we Rooting for the Flyers tonight?

Posted by: Capsfannmiss | April 22, 2010 4:00 PM | Report abuse

So are we Rooting for the Flyers tonight?

Posted by: Capsfannmiss | April 22, 2010 4:00 PM |

Good Question. I think I am going to remain neutral and let the Hockey Gods decide this one. We'll beat whoever we get!

Posted by: richmondphil | April 22, 2010 4:04 PM | Report abuse

Agreed 70G/yr way too heavy a workload. Maybe for a couple years but it eventually catches up to you [Kiprusoff, Khabibulin, etc.] - hell, look at even Brodeur - he has not looked very sharp these playoffs [or in the Olympics for that matter].

Posted by: Timbo_1 | April 22, 2010 4:05 PM | Report abuse

lol..I love messing with Habs fans.

Ovi shower, Price going nuts...so much ammo. LOL

Posted by: richmondphil | April 22, 2010 4:06 PM | Report abuse

@richmondphil

I agree. Like any prospect, Holtby could turn out to be very good or possibly not even make the NHL. I don't know.

Goalies are considered the hardest position to read too. Just because a guy performs well in juniors and/or the AHL does not necessarily mean he will do the same in the NHL.

Posted by: sgm3 | April 22, 2010 4:06 PM | Report abuse

@ TempusFugitRGV1

Nabakov is a athletic goalie similar to Varly and he plays over 70 games per year.

The Caps losing the Pens series had little to do with Varly getting tired. Varly is 3rd on the list of playoff games won over the past two years, behind perennial Vezina candidates Marc-Andre Fleury and Chris Osgood. These three have won more playoff games over the past two seasons than guys like Brodeur, Luongo, Lundqvist Kippersopf and Nabakov. My point is that this team is not going to win a cup if they depend on either goalie to be their savior.

Posted by: ablake70 | April 22, 2010 4:11 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: TempusFugitRGV1 | April 22, 2010 3:55 PM

Posted by: richmondphil

I've read enough message boards to know that Caps fans routinely identify any kid who has a decent season in AHL or juniors as a savior and future superstar. Examples: Nolan Yonkman, Jan Bulis, Steve Eminger, Jakub Cutta, Maxime Ouellette...I could go on. Yeah he's young, but there's nothing so far to suggest he's gonna push Varly or Neuvy to the side. If I say he's not gonna be a success he'll probably be a future Vezina winner, since every player I thought was going to be a star (excepting Ovi and Backie) flopped badly. Just my way of hedging my bets

Posted by: TempusFugitRGV1 | April 22, 2010 4:12 PM | Report abuse

@ ablake70 - Varly being worn down certainly didn't help the Caps win Game 7 vs. Pittsburgh last year. I think you have to look at it as a concern. Although he has been very good in most of the playoff games he as been in.

Posted by: VarlyisNarly | April 22, 2010 4:13 PM | Report abuse

There is only one team that I would ever root for the Flyers against - the Pens. And even then, I couldn't actually watch such a game.

Posted by: ccCapsfan | April 22, 2010 4:14 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: beaupre33 | April 22, 2010 3:49 PM |

It's usually comes from ppl who don't even know how to skate much less lace it up like ak443.

Posted by: Rocc00 | April 22, 2010 4:14 PM | Report abuse

@ TempusFugitRGV1

Posted by: ablake70
Yeah and look how badly Nabakov plays in the playoffs. Like I said playing ANY guy 70s games a year is stupid. And since when is Fleury a PERRENIAL Vezina candidate? He had one good year (2007-2008)

Posted by: TempusFugitRGV1 | April 22, 2010 4:16 PM | Report abuse

Nolan Yonkman!

Posted by: richmondphil | April 22, 2010 4:17 PM | Report abuse

Oh...speaking of rotating goalie, or not rotating goalies. I know this is not the NHL , but our own Hershey Bears were rotating goalies in the last series they just wrapped up.

Posted by: Capsfannmiss | April 22, 2010 4:18 PM | Report abuse

Here's my position:

Varly doesn't get a rest in the middle of a series. Joek is right about this, I think. Even teams that were primed to play two goalies in the playoffs, The '80s Oilers, the '95 Detroit team, etc. never did. If those great coaches didn't do it, I'm not sure I can call it a great idea.

The difference between this year and last year (hopefully)? No emotional, pain-staking, clawing back from 3-1 down, killer series. If we close Montreal out tomorrow (IF!), then Varly gets a bunch of rest. If we take the next team down in 5, Varly gets a bunch of rest, etc. etc. I think one of the reasons we've never seen 2 goalies win a Cup is because you don't see teams play multiple 7 game series and win a cup. The goalie gets tired and so does the defense.

That's my take anyway.

Posted by: dwelkinor | April 22, 2010 4:20 PM | Report abuse

@ sgm3

sure you can try a lot of things to see if it will work but if you had to try something that has NEVER been proven to work in 100 years of playoff hockey, would you really like your chances??

the bottom line is when both of them are healthy and on their games, BB has more trust in Varly in the playoffs... 10-6, about 2.50 GAA and 92 percent save percentage will do that to any coach.

Posted by: joek443 | April 22, 2010 4:22 PM | Report abuse

has anyone started making fun of backstrom's "playoff beard"?

Posted by: _stevo | April 22, 2010 4:26 PM | Report abuse

I can give two examples of Caps teams that played two goalies to decent success in the playoffs. 1990: Beaupre got hurt (think it was a groin pull), and Liut played part of the Rangers series, and they even had to dress Shawn Simpson as a backup. 1994: Schoenfeld coached a victory over the Pens (the only time the Caps have ever beaten the Pens and still one of my sweetest Caps memories) using Beaupre and Byron Dafoe. So it's not without precedent

Posted by: TempusFugitRGV1 | April 22, 2010 4:26 PM | Report abuse

1) After Varlamov's performance last night I can't believe there is a debate or question about who should start tomorrow night (Friday).

2) I already tried to point out that multiple goalies have been used in the past with success. In 2006 the Carolina Hurricanes used Gerber and Ward. Gerber appeared in 6 games (I think - something like that) and was credited with 1 win and 1 loss. Cam Ward played the bulk of the games and won the remaining 15 while sustaining some losses. I can see the possibility of something like that playing out here, but trying to convince joe443 of that is near impossible so my advice is to save your fingers. Perhaps it is because there are 443 joes and you have to raise your points with each one to be successful. :)

Posted by: BetterOffWithFedorov | April 22, 2010 4:27 PM | Report abuse

Varly is in fact, Gnarly.

Top 5 in the league in sv % and GAA before his injury.

Posted by: richmondphil | April 22, 2010 4:28 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: beaupre33 | April 22, 2010 3:49 PM |

Posted by: Rocc00 | April 22, 2010 4:14 PM | Report abuse

this is what morons do, they don't know how to make an argument, they just attack and insult.

PLEASE show me one instance where two goalies equally helped a team win the Cup.. just ONE example would suffice

Posted by: joek443 | April 22, 2010 4:31 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: BetterOffWithFedorov

Is there a debate about Friday? I thought it was about the next series, presumably with Philadelphia.

BTW I can root for Philly. I'd much rather face their third string goalie and injury decimated lineup than Rask and Boston. Go Philly! Kick some Jersey @$$!

Posted by: TempusFugitRGV1 | April 22, 2010 4:32 PM | Report abuse

Once he gets used to the NHL schedule and works with Irbe a bit more, he will be extra gnarly!

Posted by: VarlyisNarly | April 22, 2010 4:33 PM | Report abuse

@Tempus - There is no debate about Friday, it comes from people not reading the previous posts. And for that matter, I don't know that there is a huge debate for next series. This all started with us debating whether or not Varly has the stamina/endurance/durability to continue playing at a high level deep into the playoffs if there are back-to-back games / long series / etc.

Posted by: VarlyisNarly | April 22, 2010 4:36 PM | Report abuse

@ VarlyisNarly

Varly wouldn't have been so worn down if his team would clear rebounds instead of marveling at the many wonderful saves he made.

Every goalie plays a grueling schedule and the ones that succeed play behind good teams. This team didn't play well in the Pens series and that is why they lost. Not because Varly got tired.

@ TempusFugitRGV1

Nabakov is a 34 year old, athletic goalie who plays 70+ games per year and always manages to finish top 10 in save percentage and wins during the regular season. The Sharks playoff troubles run deeper than their goal tending.

And I was joking about Osgood and Fleury being Vezina candidates. They are two of the worst starting goalies, yet their teams still win playoff games.

I'm rooting for the Devils and the Sens tonight. I want both of those series to go 7 games.

Posted by: ablake70 | April 22, 2010 4:36 PM | Report abuse

I would really like to see the Pens have to get by the Devils. The Devils swept them in the regular season. Worst case, I think it would be a long and exhausting series for Pitt.

Posted by: ccCapsfan | April 22, 2010 4:37 PM | Report abuse

@Tempus & BOWFedorov

I stand corrected. Good points, although I'd rather not use the Carolina example. Living in Carolina, I can say that that Cup was filled with trepidation and fear. They weren't talking about using Gerber to spell Ward for a bit, they were talking about which goalie should be sacrificed to appease the hockey Gods. Gerber and Ward kept coming in when the other goalie sucked.

@Joek

They've given you your proof, it's been done in the past. No one is talking about using the two goalies equally. They are talking about using Theo a little to make sure Varly is rested and on top of his game... like every team does during the regular season.

Posted by: dwelkinor | April 22, 2010 4:38 PM | Report abuse

@ablake70 - It doesn't quite so much matter why Varly was tired, but that he was tired. That still makes my case either way.

And to say that Osgood and Fleury are two of the worst starting goalies is just stupid.

Posted by: VarlyisNarly | April 22, 2010 4:39 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: joek443

Andy Moog got 4 of Edmonton's 16 wins in 1983-84, while Grant Fuhr got 11. Since Edmonton won the Cup they must have had a third goalie win 1 game or NHL.com's stats are wrong. Admittedly that's not EQUAL, but still, it shows that two goalies can contribute. BTW only in 1988 did Fuhr get all 16 wins for the Cup. And since the Caps are always compared to those 80s Oilers teams...that's another comparable: switching goalies

Posted by: TempusFugitRGV1 | April 22, 2010 4:41 PM | Report abuse

@ccCapsFan: Absolutely. I think he might well get more than one game in the next series. BB's going to ride Varly to the end of this series. It's working for him so far and it's in the team's best interest to drive the stake right here and now so they can get a couple of days' rest before the next round.

Posted by: kittypawz | April 22, 2010 4:42 PM | Report abuse

Where is Mike Pamletier when you need a goalie for the playoffs, what are we going to do?

Posted by: RichC3 | April 22, 2010 4:43 PM | Report abuse

Fuhr was INJURED.

Posted by: joek443 | April 22, 2010 4:47 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: ablake70

Good one. I completely missed your joke. I'll do the Jeff Dunham "NEEEEEOWWWRRR" over my head.

I still disagree about Nabokov tho. Granted the Sharks problems run deep, but their goalie isn't playing up to his regular season standard, and I believe it's due to being overplayed. I've never been for playing a guy 70 games per year. That's both a physical and mental burden. Ideally you'd have your starting goalie play 50-55

Posted by: TempusFugitRGV1 | April 22, 2010 4:48 PM | Report abuse

Fuhr was INJURED.

Posted by: joek443

So? You asked for examples. I gave you one. You didn't mention that it has to be an injury free situation. Next time post your rules so I don't waste my time

Posted by: TempusFugitRGV1 | April 22, 2010 4:52 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: joek443 | April 22, 2010 4:31 PM

no one will find this because it has never happened. NO one here said to try and PLAY the goalies equally. the discussion is about if theo should be played AGAIN. if you haven't picked up on that then you know nothing of reading comprehension. what i have been reading is that it very well could be a good idea to give theo a game here and there so THAT varly does not get burnt out.
lol

Posted by: Capt_Kirk_in_AZ | April 22, 2010 4:54 PM | Report abuse

Alright, I'm outta here. We will see what the great and powerful BB decides to do when/if the time comes. Really hoping we get this series finished tomorrow night though so we can rest up for the next round. Here we go Caps!

Posted by: VarlyisNarly | April 22, 2010 4:59 PM | Report abuse

@ TempusFugitRGV1

there's a reason why every team is required to suit up two goalies... one of them could get hurt

Posted by: joek443 | April 22, 2010 5:00 PM | Report abuse

As long as Varly keeps on playing as he has he will continue to play. The one exception would be in a situation where there are two games on consecutive nights. Some goalies perform fine on both nights some do not. I would be absolutely fine with BB playing Theo in one of those games with Varly playing the other. I think I would have more confidence in that than Varly playing the second game on consecutive nights.

In addition, if Varlye falters in a game and is pulled and Theo comes in and does well (win or lose). I would be absolutely fine with Theo starting the next game. You go with whatever goalie gives you the greatest chance to win the next game.

Posted by: sgm3 | April 22, 2010 5:00 PM | Report abuse

@ VarlyisNarly

So you think that this team would have won the Cup last year if BB rotated goalies? I don't. They couldn't clear the zone, they couldn't make a good pass. Varly kept them in it longer than they should have been.

As for Fleury and Osgood, Fleury had a good year in 07-08, but that was it. Neither was spectacular going into last years playoffs. In fact, Osgood finished with a .887 save percentage and was sent on a sabbatical by his team in February. So while they weren't exactly the worst, neither was elite during this time. And did you like how I answered you without saying you are stupid?

Posted by: ablake70 | April 22, 2010 5:03 PM | Report abuse

@ TempusFugitRGV1

Posted by: joek443

Well I've been watching hockey for 26 years, so I kind of picked up on that fact. What's your point? And please read Capt_Kirk_in_AZ's last post so I don't have to type a further response. He said it well and I'm a two finger typer

Posted by: TempusFugitRGV1 | April 22, 2010 5:04 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: kittypawz | April 22, 2010 3:40 PM

Thanks for the clarification, Kitty. And what happens if the Caps are still playing after Hershey concludes their season?

Posted by: Rhino40 | April 22, 2010 5:05 PM | Report abuse

Jose who? duh Varly

Posted by: lylewimbledon | April 22, 2010 5:09 PM | Report abuse

If I am not mistaken one or two of the years the Oilers won the cup it didn't take 16 wins to win the Cup back then. They had some best of five series, and if you go back in time further, I think they were even some best of three series. (if I remember correctly)

Posted by: Capsfannmiss | April 22, 2010 5:19 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Capsfannmiss

You're right. The first round would have been a best of 5 and required only 3 wins. Thanks for the reminder

Posted by: TempusFugitRGV1 | April 22, 2010 5:25 PM | Report abuse

People need to realize - that chanting "Olay Olay Olay" and "O-lay Olay Olay Olay" are two different things

Posted by: Satchelass | April 22, 2010 5:26 PM | Report abuse

Here's hoping the Senators win tonight!

Posted by: dccitizen1 | April 22, 2010 5:30 PM | Report abuse

So are we Rooting for the Flyers tonight?

Posted by: Capsfannmiss

I am. Is them beating NJ that impressive anyway? NJ just cannot score. Them withtout Gagne and Carter also... I want the FLyers.. could Boucher win 4 for them?

Posted by: rachel216 | April 22, 2010 5:32 PM | Report abuse

As of today, Varly is our best goal-CAT - someone should paint his mask into a cat-head, so he can more easily put on his game face

Posted by: Satchelass | April 22, 2010 5:34 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: rachel216

Agreed. These aren't your older brother's big, bad Devils. They play pretty soft actually. Good system but, like I've said before, Brodeur is ineffective after playing so many games this year, and they just can't wear you down like the old, physical Devils did. Philly just has Jersey's number this season, but they sure don't have the Caps number!

Posted by: TempusFugitRGV1 | April 22, 2010 5:37 PM | Report abuse

on the subject of goalies - thought it amusing from watching replay of Ovie second goal - on rear-view shot (goal cam or whatever) the puck is ricocheting around in the net and Price finally twitches his glove . . . heh heh heh

Posted by: Satchelass | April 22, 2010 5:44 PM | Report abuse

beaupre33 -

i never want to argue with a fellow caps fan - especially a fan of Don Beaupre. That being said - we have to agree to disagree. I said I hoped Varly played well enough to go the rest of the way - you said i was a disgrace. I still have no idea why, but either way - we are both Caps fans and lets hope we can celebrate together on F street during the parade.

Posted by: capsfansince74 | April 22, 2010 6:03 PM | Report abuse

Haven't been on your site in a while. You hear about the Ottawa paper reporting the SI report that the caps/NHL swept the steroid thing under the rug?? What gives Gary B/tLeon?? Does it explain the outRage?

Posted by: sean1smith | April 22, 2010 6:28 PM | Report abuse

Does it explain JUICE?!?!?

Posted by: richmondphil | April 22, 2010 6:57 PM | Report abuse

Theo was the only thing that kept us in the first game, with the defense so out of synch. True, he did not play well at the beginning of the second game, but Varly's play wasn't outstanding in that game, either, and a lot of those pucks should never have reached the goaltender in the first place. Most of the D-men were seriously slacking in the first couple of games -- not pressuring enough, both guys hanging back and waiting for defensive zone entries before challenging, not rushing, not always covering opponents in the paint. The Habs make themselves extremely annoying to anyone carrying the puck, and it forces our offense to be more creative. The bulk of the defense should not be left up to the goalie. It's good that we're being forced to shore up the D early in the postseason, but this must carry over to future games.

Posted by: naha8 | April 22, 2010 7:09 PM | Report abuse

capsfansince74,
i'll buy you a beer how about that. then we can chat about hrivnak, beaupre, carey, ranford, olie, and whoever else.

i don't think we should discount anyone on the team. the one thing i noticed starting theo's streak was that the defense was playing way better, especially for that first month in january/february. the defense was clearing the crease, and played solid defense; no open backdoors for the most part. theo could actually see the puck! d guys were actually doing their job!

this happened last year but everyone just simply blamed the goalie instead of watching the play develop around him. it wasn't until september this season that people started to talk about our defense.

so throwing the goalie under the bus like that is a bit wrong. but if i ever see you i'll buy you a beer and cheers to the caps.

Posted by: beaupre33 | April 22, 2010 7:23 PM | Report abuse

Senators up 2-0. I wonder if they had to pass out all those white shirts at the Igloo again, like they did last year

Posted by: TempusFugitRGV1 | April 22, 2010 7:35 PM | Report abuse

@beaupre33/capsfansince74

Beau, I hear what you're saying and agree with you, but I remember his comment and what you said back..I thought it seemed a bit out of left-field myself. I think you incorrectly pinned capsfansince74 as throwing Theo under the bus or something, but all he was saying is that Varlamov should play from now on..which is an opinion shared by me and others here. He didn't come off all strong like joek443 does either.

Just sayin...we want Varlamov to play for obvious reasons..we are in no way discrediting Theodore's play and how much he contributed to leading the Caps to their first President's Trophy. If BB needs or wants to go back to Theo, then so be it. I am sure he and definetely I won't have any complaints about it. But if Varlamov continues to play like he does, there would be no reason to go back to Theo..unless to rest him.

Capsfansince74 is a good poster...don't want to pidgeon-hole as a troll or someone who throws players under the bus. :)

Posted by: richmondphil | April 22, 2010 7:56 PM | Report abuse

I think if we make it to the next round, we'll definitely see Theo in net again. In my opinion, he's still a little too young/inexperienced to carry the weight of the team on his shoulders throughout the entire playoffs. I think BB wants to prevent another Caps - Pens game 7 from happening if at all possible. Using both goaltenders will hopefully prevent that from happening.

Posted by: LloydChristmas | April 22, 2010 8:04 PM | Report abuse

Sens 2, Pens 1 -- yipee, I'd love to see the Pens have a long series

Posted by: JIMALLCAPS1 | April 22, 2010 8:11 PM | Report abuse

we need everyone. trust me i'm a big varly fan and you can't honestly rate theo when the guys play like crap in front of him.

i've sat with plenty of guys watching games and the funny thing is that the only people that agree with me are people that play the game. the rest blame it on the goalie when it's a three person screen or someone not covering their guy.

but you can't just say i hope we never see theo for the rest of the playoffs. a lot of people ate their words this season about theo on this comment board. it's water under the bridge with capsfan1974 but i still think joke433 is annoying as crap.

Posted by: beaupre33 | April 22, 2010 8:13 PM | Report abuse

I trust BB to make the right decision. He knows his goaltenders, and anyway, it's not like we are the Flames or Devils. We don't rely on our goaltender to win half our games, so as long as we play smart defensively and get the goals which should come, we should be fine.

I almost want to say I don't want to see Theo at all anymore because a) That means Varlamov is mentally/physically prepared for the NHL playoffs and b) He's continued to play lights-out. But I wouldn't be shocked if we saw Theo again.

Posted by: richmondphil | April 22, 2010 8:14 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: beaupre33 | April 22, 2010 8:13 PM |

Well I played the game for a long time. And like I said, I agree with you it's not always the goaltender. Some of my repeated posts include; "Goalies get to much blame and credit for wins and losses."

I also have probably been the most consistent Theo supporter here since he signed...I think that's fair to say. Kittypawz has also been a Theo supporter even when he was playing rough and everyone else was ready to send the guy to Russia.

Again though, there's nothing wrong with me saying I don't want to see Theo again. That means Varlamov has played fine, and we don't need the goalie change. If we see Theo again, great, he's perfectly capable of playing lights-out. But best hypothetical situation dictates that Varlamov starts from here on out and plays lights-out. At least in my eyes. It has nothing to do with giving up on Theo or anything.

Posted by: richmondphil | April 22, 2010 8:19 PM | Report abuse

from my standpoint, bruce never named a goalie for the playoffs to keep both of them on edge and ready to play / hungry. we all knew it was going to be theo. it'll be interesting to see what happens next as it'll be unconventional. he'll consult the other coaches obviously so whatever he does it'll be a thought out decision.

and i actually do have an arturs irbe poster at my parent's house somewhere. i need to get him to sign it.

Posted by: beaupre33 | April 22, 2010 8:19 PM | Report abuse

And yes, joek443 is annoying 99.9% of the time. I've had my fair share of spats with him...we've been civil for a few weeks... I try to remain civil...

Posted by: richmondphil | April 22, 2010 8:20 PM | Report abuse

like i said, i don't care who plays in goal...

Posted by: beaupre33 | April 22, 2010 8:21 PM | Report abuse

And I never blamed Theo for those two goals, but a goalie change was needed to wake the team up. Which it did.

It just so happened that Varlamov seemed to return to his pre-injury self. How long it last...well, I guess that's the debate here. :)

Posted by: richmondphil | April 22, 2010 8:22 PM | Report abuse

yeah i would have pulled theo too as a coach. they weren't his fault, and coach made the right decision. i'd rather have our goalies have 15 shots a period vs 3 shots on goal a period just so they won't snooze and be cold for the next period.

Posted by: beaupre33 | April 22, 2010 8:25 PM | Report abuse

here's the highlights from the Bears' clinching victory last night. Check out (AGAIN) the individual exploits of my favorite Bear Andrew Gordon. When he's not causing havoc in front of the net or providing a great complement to Giroux and Aucoin on the top line, he's laying bodies out left and right. In this particular clip he's got 3 nice open ice hits. He's also targeting Bridgeport's top player on defense - Joey MacDonald. Andrew Gordon just gets it. He understands exactly how to be a top role player and he's got good offensive skills too

Posted by: cstanton1 | April 22, 2010 8:27 PM | Report abuse

2-0 Flyers. Wow do the Devils suck..

Posted by: rachel216 | April 22, 2010 8:27 PM | Report abuse

in the same clip you;ll see why Alzner is not ready to be an nhl defenseman. Check out his plays towards the end of the clip. He casually flubs a puck near his net which almost leads to a goal. And then a forward skates right around him with a clear path to the net until Sean Collins closes ground and blocks him out. Alzner scored a goal but his defense is just mediocre. Like some of our current D, his play around the net is very weak.

Posted by: cstanton1 | April 22, 2010 8:30 PM | Report abuse

I meant Varly is too young to carry the weight of the team in the playoffs.

I'm a fan of Theo. I can't imagine the personal hardships he's had to endure this year all the while putting together that impressive run in the regular season. I know he will be back if we make it to the next round in the playoffs and I think he'll win some games. But when you're the #1 guy, in my opinion, you run the risk of being pulled that much quicker. I agree that the D was dreadful in front of Theo, but if putting Varly in net makes the D more aware of their positioning then that's what needs to happen in order for the boys to move forward in the playoffs. It's not on the goalie at all (well maybe 10%), but if one goalie makes the rest of the players play harder, then that's the recipe for success and it's hard to justify otherwise.

Posted by: LloydChristmas | April 22, 2010 8:30 PM | Report abuse

Damn those hits...

Posted by: richmondphil | April 22, 2010 8:34 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Capsfannmiss | April 22, 2010 5:19 PM | Report abuse

yep the nhl did away with the best of 3 in the late 70s

I think no matter which team the Caps could play we'd still drag it out over around 6 games. And it all goes back to effort. When the effort is inconsistent you let lesser teams hang around. Nothing I've seen shows me this is a team on a mission. I mean maybe they're on a mission, but its more like a mission to get some beer before stores close at midnight. Its not a dropping into Normandy do-or-die kind of mission.

Posted by: cstanton1 | April 22, 2010 8:35 PM | Report abuse

Welp..Devils are done.

Posted by: richmondphil | April 22, 2010 8:36 PM | Report abuse

SO i'm wondering if the Devils are this bad or the Flyers are playing this well.. I still don't think the Flyers could beat us 4 times.. Bring on the Flyers. They're taking care of business on the road.. NJ is kinda pathetic.

Posted by: rachel216 | April 22, 2010 8:37 PM | Report abuse

2-0 Flyers. Wow do the Devils suck..

Posted by: rachel216 | April 22, 2010 8:27 PM | Report abuse

I don't know how the Devils ended up with a great record. I never thought they were a great team. Definitely a team the Caps could beat. I'd say on any given year, 2 out of the top 4 seeds in each conference is overrated. Philly and Boston are playing some really competitive tough hockey right now. Its like they came together at the right time. Boston has a tougher task with Buffalo than Philly does with the Devils.

Posted by: cstanton1 | April 22, 2010 8:38 PM | Report abuse

Hey, look, the Monkees. They were a huge influence on the Beatles.

haha.

yeah lloyd i agree. i'm not arguing who should play NOW in net. the team played harder in front of johnson and varly then theo last year. i don't know if i was the only one that saw that or not.

you look at the idiots on the facebook caps page, saying stuff like theo makes me sick to my stomach, x 100, and how varly rocks; when varly was playing like crap at the time, and theo was playing good. haha.

right now they are both playing good so let's see where tomorrow's game takes us.

Posted by: beaupre33 | April 22, 2010 8:39 PM | Report abuse

Rest? Really? Pretty sure being up 3 games to 1, Varly will get plenty of rest before the 2nd round. Last yr he had no rest as our 1st round series went 7 games. I think we can all agree this series isn't going 7 games.

Posted by: pokerfaceI208 | April 22, 2010 8:40 PM | Report abuse

I was worried when Kovalchuk joined the Devils but so far, he seems to have been a non-factor. I'm pretty sure the Caps could beat them pretty quick, but it looks like Phlyers will do that momentarily.

Posted by: LloydChristmas | April 22, 2010 8:42 PM | Report abuse

Kovy just doesn't fit there. I doubt Lou is even going to want him back.

I hope he signs to LA.

Posted by: richmondphil | April 22, 2010 8:44 PM | Report abuse

Devils have a great team..on paper. A lot of people are blaming Leclaire. Apparently his system just doesn't work anymore..need to adjust.

Posted by: richmondphil | April 22, 2010 8:49 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: TempusFugitRGV1 | April 22, 2010 4:12 PM | Report abuse

ooh nice list

how bout Jan Benda, Jaroslav Svejkovsky, Stefan Ustorf, JF Fortin, Martin Gendron!

Posted by: cstanton1 | April 22, 2010 8:51 PM | Report abuse

Leclaire...Lemaire....

Posted by: richmondphil | April 22, 2010 8:53 PM | Report abuse

Kovy just doesn't fit there. I doubt Lou is even going to want him back.

I hope he signs to LA.

Posted by: richmondphil | April 22, 2010 8:44 PM | Report abuse

good point, I think LA plays a really uptempo aggressive style and Kovy would be a better fit there. He really doesn't gel with the Devils scheme. The only good thing about the Devils-Flyers series is watching the Devils D lay some hefty licks on Flyer forwards. Colin White and Salvador have been doing their share. I think it was Hartnell who took a real heavy hit courtesy of White recently.

Posted by: cstanton1 | April 22, 2010 8:55 PM | Report abuse

Yeah, Alan May on the radio said NJ must change the way they play. They sit back way too much. Can't win games 1-0 like they try to.

He also said he thinks the Caps would destroy the Flyers.

Posted by: rachel216 | April 22, 2010 8:59 PM | Report abuse

That, plus I like the Kings. They're my West team.

Kovy-Kopitar-Brown

That's a top first line, if I've ever seen one.

Posted by: richmondphil | April 22, 2010 8:59 PM | Report abuse

Lights out in the swamp and thank goodness. I hate the style of play in NJ, Minnesota, and Columbus -- boring, chippy, and static.

Posted by: JIMALLCAPS1 | April 22, 2010 9:00 PM | Report abuse

He also said he thinks the Caps would destroy the Flyers.

Posted by: rachel216 | April 22, 2010 8:59 PM

Eh...it'll be a tough series, but the Caps obviously have the advantage.

Posted by: richmondphil | April 22, 2010 9:01 PM | Report abuse

no idea why the Devils would trade for Skoula. He was a bust when he left the Avs.

They should be playing Matt Corrente and Mark Fraser on D. They're kids but they're solid defenders. And they wouldn't let the likes of Carcillo and Lappy crash the net the way they can going against Skoula, Martin, Greene etc.

Devils should go pursue Rick Tocchet next yr. He got a pretty bum rap under Lawton. Tocchet did a lot in a short time with Tampa. I thought that team was doomed for the next 5 years.

Posted by: cstanton1 | April 22, 2010 9:01 PM | Report abuse

That, plus I like the Kings. They're my West team.

Kovy-Kopitar-Brown

That's a top first line, if I've ever seen one.

Posted by: richmondphil | April 22, 2010 8:59 PM | Report abuse

I guess you never saw Kip Miller centering Ivan Ciernik and Sergei Berezin

Jarrett Stoll and Matt Greene- that was the trade that provided a facelift to the Kings. And the fact they draft better than almost any other team in the league. All their draftees are fast and tough. I don't know where they find so many talented prospects who play with an edge.

Posted by: cstanton1 | April 22, 2010 9:05 PM | Report abuse

He also said he thinks the Caps would destroy the Flyers.

Posted by: rachel216 | April 22, 2010 8:59 PM

Eh...it'll be a tough series, but the Caps obviously have the advantage.

Posted by: richmondphil | April 22, 2010 9:01 PM | Report abuse

i agree with May. I wouldn't say the Flyers would destroy the Caps because I think in many ways the Flyers bring out the best in the Caps. But I do think they would score a lot of garbage goals against our defense. With Powe, Richards, Hartnell, Carcillo, Lappy and Asham , thats a lot of scrappy quality grinders whose style doesn't exactly favor the kind of hockey our defense likes to play.

I would say Flyers in 6 or 7. Compared to 2 yrs ago, our D back then (with Erskine and Juice) were better suited to the grinding game the Flyers excel at. And while our current crop of forwards would also do a better job of crashing the net than the forwards we had back then, I still say advantage Philly. For one, the caps wouldn't bring their A game until they were down a game in the series. And against better teams its harder to climb out of that hole.

goaltending advantage probably us.

Posted by: cstanton1 | April 22, 2010 9:11 PM | Report abuse

They've been stocking draft picks for the past 10 years, their farm team better be rich.

I'm not so sure what that reference to Miller/Ciernik/Berezin means, because none of them match any of the three guys I mentioned on that Kings line. It can't be nationality, since Kopitar isn't Slovakian..

Posted by: richmondphil | April 22, 2010 9:11 PM | Report abuse

match the skill*, that should say.

I wish Dustin Brown was on the Caps..

Posted by: richmondphil | April 22, 2010 9:13 PM | Report abuse

ooh nice list

Posted by: cstanton1

David A Jensen, Reggie Savage, John Slaney, Jason Allison (granted he had a long career, but he never did anything as a Cap), Nolan Baumgartner (should've included him in my original list, but slipped my mind), Yvon Corriveau and Alexander Kharlamov. That'll do for now. Funny thing about Kharlamov, I thought he was gonna be a superstar because everytime I saw him play he was brilliant. Training camp scrimmages, preseason games and AHL games (when the Pirates played in Baltimore), he looked like the second coming of his dad. Never could do it consistently tho. Bulis and Yonkman hurt the most. I thought both of them were gonna be stars

Posted by: TempusFugitRGV1 | April 22, 2010 9:16 PM | Report abuse

Pens are just working the Sens here in the third so far. A goal was already called off.

Posted by: richmondphil | April 22, 2010 9:17 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: richmondphil | April 22, 2010 9:11 PM | Report abuse

lol, i just picked the 3 worst players I could think of who played on a line together for the Caps. Those were some dark days. The Grand Rapids Capitals led by fearless Butch Cassidy.

Dustin B's a real throwback. Nothing better than a top line forward who approaches the game like a scrappy 4th liner fighting to keep his job.

Posted by: cstanton1 | April 22, 2010 9:17 PM | Report abuse

That, plus I like the Kings. They're my West team.

Kovy-Kopitar-Brown

That's a top first line, if I've ever seen one.

Posted by: richmondphil

Wayne Simmonds is my man crush on that team. Damn, I would love to see the Caps have a power forward like him. Maybe we can deal Semin in a package for him

Posted by: TempusFugitRGV1 | April 22, 2010 9:18 PM | Report abuse

I wish Dustin Brown was on the Caps..

Posted by: richmondphil

Me too. I think the Kings will be a real powerhouse when Bernier establishes himself. Tons of talent out there in La La Land

Posted by: TempusFugitRGV1 | April 22, 2010 9:21 PM | Report abuse

haha Ivan Ciernik, Kip Miller, Sergei Berezin!? That brings back old memories.

Anyone remember the revolving door of backup goalies we went through after Billington? Charpentier, Yeats, Stana, Oullet. Didn't settle down until we claimed Johnny off waivers.

Posted by: hockeynightincanada | April 22, 2010 9:23 PM | Report abuse

I love Simmonds too. I'm glad they kept him over Purcell..but I guess that became more apparent when Simmonds came out this year. I can see him being a top line grinder, ala D. Brown.

Posted by: richmondphil | April 22, 2010 9:25 PM | Report abuse

it has probably been said but I couldn't find it.

If Caps, Bruins, Pens, and Flyers all move on to the next round, who would the Caps play. From the chatter, I am guessing the flyers.

7 min left in pens/sens game. tied at 3 but sens about to go on the pp

Posted by: ebolean1 | April 22, 2010 9:28 PM | Report abuse

David A Jensen, Reggie Savage, John Slaney, Jason Allison (granted he had a long career, but he never did anything as a Cap), Nolan Baumgartner (should've included him in my original list, but slipped my mind), Yvon Corriveau and Alexander Kharlamov. Bulis and Yonkman hurt the most. I thought both of them were gonna be stars

Posted by: TempusFugitRGV1 | April 22, 2010 9:16 PM | Report abuse

David Jensen was horrible. Played the game like an automaton. Corriveau was decent but he had one bad injury that resulted in him really changing his game. At the time he was being groomed as Dale Hunter's wing on a top line. And Corriveau was gaining confidence playing that chippy bruising power forward style. Then he decided to fight Kris King of the Rangers who rearranged his nose and cheekbone. And Corriveau didn't have the mettle to keep playing that style so he eventually just faded away. When he came back from that injury he was a very meek timid player. Kinda like Randal McMurtry after Nurse Ratched takes a scalpel to that underrated front lobe.

Bulis was a casualty of the Ron Wilson coaching days. He was starting to shine and play a well rounded game but he really got no support from his coach or team. That was very discouraging to watch a talented kid who was trying hard to develop other aspects of his game but didn't get the support he needed to keep developing here.

Too bad about Yonkman, I was pulling for him too. But lower body injuries derailed his skating which was already a bit suspect.

another bust was Brad Church.

Posted by: cstanton1 | April 22, 2010 9:28 PM | Report abuse

Kolzig still got most the games though..as he slowly declined...

Oof..Oullet...what else did we get for Oates? Was that it?

Posted by: richmondphil | April 22, 2010 9:30 PM | Report abuse

________________

Correct.

Posted by: richmondphil | April 22, 2010 9:31 PM | Report abuse

Put the whistles away ref...Let em play!

Posted by: richmondphil | April 22, 2010 9:33 PM | Report abuse

Maybe we can deal Semin in a package for him

Posted by: TempusFugitRGV1 | April 22, 2010 9:18 PM | Report abuse

i don't think i could stand to hear the hysterical Caps fans crying about how Semin scores more goals than Simmonds which of course automatically means we'd lose on that trade front.

There's some good young power forward prospects in the league over the past 2 yrs. Simmonds is one, Chris Stewart is another. Those 2 are almost identical hockey players. Young, black, tough, talented, full of character.

Posted by: cstanton1 | April 22, 2010 9:33 PM | Report abuse

He also said he thinks the Caps would destroy the Flyers.

Posted by: rachel216 | April 22, 2010 8:59 PM

Eh...it'll be a tough series, but the Caps obviously have the advantage.

Posted by: richmondphil

The Flyers worry me. I'm more concerned about them than the Penguins. Carter and a**hole Richards and Hartnell crash the hell out of our net. I can't stand Richards. He's the biggest a**hole in the league (along with Orpik and Avery).

Posted by: LloydChristmas | April 22, 2010 9:34 PM | Report abuse

Actually, once the Flyers win, it's automatic that we play them if we advance to the second round.

Posted by: richmondphil | April 22, 2010 9:35 PM | Report abuse

Yeah. Hope we win.

Posted by: LloydChristmas | April 22, 2010 9:38 PM | Report abuse

Oof..Oullet...what else did we get for Oates? Was that it?

Posted by: richmondphil | April 22, 2010 9:30 PM | Report abuse

we got zilcho. Mainly because our GM didn't know how to draft..

On the surface it seemed like a good deal but if you looked at our draft history at the time, the 3 picks we got in return (1st, 2nd, 3rd) didn't mean much because they could all be busts. And as far as I remember, none of the picks we got turned into nhl players. But much like the trade deadline this year, everyone was ready to anoint McPhee as a god. And to his advantage, the returns don't come in till much later and by that time no one remembered what he did with the picks or the fact that they were busts.

Posted by: cstanton1 | April 22, 2010 9:39 PM | Report abuse

man...solid d man in Oduya , excellent young gun in Bergfors + prospect for a first round exit. Nice work Lou.

Posted by: Todgak | April 22, 2010 9:39 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Todgak | April 22, 2010 9:39 PM

And chances are he won't resign.

I predict Lemaire to be out, that's for sure.

Posted by: richmondphil | April 22, 2010 9:41 PM | Report abuse

Lloyd, Carter is out for an estimated 6 weeks. Gagne is also out, for an estimated 3 weeks. When we play the Flyers, they'll be without two of their top forwards. Still have to deal with Hartnell and Richards though.

Posted by: timmyv38 | April 22, 2010 9:42 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: cstanton1

I've never liked Semin and I don't care if I'm the only Cap fan who doesn't. I had the willies when I heard that he had an attitude problem before he played a game for the Caps and his actions since then have only gone to cement that status: ie not paying his honor bar bill, missing a team flight, refusing to report to Portland, not to mention his constant selfish play on the ice

@richmondphil: we got 3 draft picks for Oates which McPhee bundled to get the pick that was used on Semin

Posted by: TempusFugitRGV1 | April 22, 2010 9:42 PM | Report abuse

Don't forget Pronger. Him and Timonen both defend Ovi pretty well.

Posted by: richmondphil | April 22, 2010 9:44 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: cstanton1 | April 22, 2010 9:45 PM | Report abuse

another bust was Brad Church.

Posted by: cstanton1

As was the other Caps first round pick that year Miika Elomo, but I knew he was a bust after seeing him for 5 minutes during training camp drills. He was the most poorly conditioned prospect I've ever seen on the Caps. And I forgot the biggest bust of all: Alexander Volchkov. I was anticipating watching this kid at the 1997 training camp. In his first scrimmage he took a shot and missed the net by....no exaggeration....15 feet! I had a sinking feeling in my stomach because I could literally see that bust sign on him. He played the fewest games of a Top 5 pick in NHL history

Posted by: TempusFugitRGV1 | April 22, 2010 9:48 PM | Report abuse

lol..a Devils fan posted a voiceover to the Stevens/Trottier on Bellows video about Kovalchuk.

Posted by: richmondphil | April 22, 2010 9:48 PM | Report abuse

3/19/2002 Washington Capitals traded Adam Oates to the Philadelphia Flyers for Maxime Ouellet, a 1st (later traded to Dallas - Martin Vagner), a 2nd (Maxime Daigneault) and a 3rd (Derek Krestanovich) round selections in 2002.
-----------------------------------

unless that Vagner pick was leveraged to trade up and get Semin, i dunno. Because the other 2 picks were used.

Posted by: cstanton1 | April 22, 2010 9:49 PM | Report abuse

Volchkov is a favorite mention on this blog.

Not to be confused with Volchenkov, right Capsfan75? Who we should sign in the off-season by the way.

Posted by: richmondphil | April 22, 2010 9:49 PM | Report abuse

It will be a tough series for sure. Hopefully Richards and the team will be out drinking every night like they were a few months ago and get their coach fired again.

Posted by: LloydChristmas | April 22, 2010 9:52 PM | Report abuse

Earlier today;

When asked if Game 5 is his last game as a New Jersey Devil.

"No. Because we're going to win tomorrow," Kovalchuk said.

Poor Kovy..

Posted by: richmondphil | April 22, 2010 9:52 PM | Report abuse

we got zilcho. Mainly because our GM didn't know how to draft..

Posted by: cstanton1

The 3 picks McPhee got for Oates were traded to Dallas for the 13th pick who was Semin

"Mar. 19, 2002 – Traded Adam Oates to Flyers for Maxime Ouellet, and Philly’s first, second (Maxime Daigneault) and third-round (Derek Krestanovich) picks in 2002. (McPhee packaged the first-rounder and a second-rounder in 2002 in a deal with the Stars that brought back Dallas’ first-round pick, the 13th choice overall. The Caps used that choice to select Alexander Semin.)"

Posted by: TempusFugitRGV1 | April 22, 2010 9:54 PM | Report abuse

_________________________

Hah, he's actually playing on the third pairing for Vancouver. He got injured in the last game.

GO KINGS!

Posted by: richmondphil | April 22, 2010 9:54 PM | Report abuse

I can't think of a single other player in the league who gets to play hard whenever he wants to with no repercussions of any kind except for Semin. Its such a bad message to send to the team, and to Semin himself, that all we care about is his point production, everything else be damned. Its a real disservice. It doesn't teach him humility, it doesn't encourage him to be more of a team player. He hasn't really matured much that I can see. He gets a free pass because of his talent. And thats kinda like a Terrell Owens/Randy Moss type of situation. As long as you put up big #s, the coach and GM let you get away with being prima donna. I always thought of hockey as the last real team sport where that type of behavior would never be tolerated.

Posted by: cstanton1 | April 22, 2010 9:55 PM | Report abuse

2 picks I should say...McPhee kept the third rounder. In others words what I'm saying, and I guess what richmondphil was asking about, the net gain for Oates was Ouellette, who was a bust, and Semin. So the Caps did get something out of that trade

Posted by: TempusFugitRGV1 | April 22, 2010 9:57 PM | Report abuse

OTT: Cullen
PITT: Crosby

Posted by: richmondphil | April 22, 2010 9:57 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: TempusFugitRGV1 | April 22, 2010 9:54 PM | Report abuse

but max daigneault was drafted by the Capitals. That was the 2nd round pick we got from the Flyers, so how was that packaged to Dallas? Krestanovich was also a Caps draftee.

I don't know about the 1st pick that we gave to Dallas. Maybe we used that and another pick somewhere else to move up. But the pick we got from the Flyers in the 2nd round ended up being Max Daigneault (goalie)

Posted by: cstanton1 | April 22, 2010 9:58 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: TempusFugitRGV1 | April 22, 2010 9:57 PM |

Oates for Semin isn't that bad when you think about it.

Though I wish we could have Adam Oates, circa Bruins....He was an excellent two-way forward who could score. We got him late, when he was more of an assist guy.

Posted by: richmondphil | April 22, 2010 10:00 PM | Report abuse

ok, dug it up. You're right, we did leverage the 1st rounder we got from the Flyers to move up to get the mighty Semin. But we used our own pick in the 2nd as part of the package. We kept the Flyers picks in the 2nd and 3rd.

No. 13 (Dallas to Washington): Dallas trades this pick to Washington for Philadelphia's first-round pick (No. 26 overall, Martin Vagner), Washington's second-round pick (No. 42 overall, Marius Holtet) and 2003 sixth-round pick on June 12, 2002.

Posted by: cstanton1 | April 22, 2010 10:02 PM | Report abuse

Posted by ctsanton1

You're right, I read the post wrong. The trade was the first round pick McPhee got from Philly and another 2nd round pick to Dallas for 13th overall. But you can't say we got nothing for Oates, since the 1st round pick we got was used to obtain the pick that was used on Semin

Posted by: TempusFugitRGV1 | April 22, 2010 10:02 PM | Report abuse

and then 4 picks later we acquired Gordon in return for a 3rd and Trevor Linden.

Posted by: cstanton1 | April 22, 2010 10:05 PM | Report abuse

OK cstanton1 we can start an I Hate Semin club. Any other takers?

Posted by: TempusFugitRGV1 | April 22, 2010 10:05 PM | Report abuse

Gee, the flyers with their best goal-scorer outta the playoffs and their reclamation project in goal really scare the pants off me...

the Caps should thank the poster boys for Hair Cuttery for taking out NJ, will beat'em in 5 or 6 and move on to the next round...

Posted by: joek443 | April 22, 2010 10:07 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: TempusFugitRGV1 | April 22, 2010 10:02 PM | Report abuse

no you're right, we did get something. We got a guy who drives me to drink every season.

btw, remember the Zubrus trade ? He was a pretty marketable player at the time. We traded him to Buf for a stiff (Novotny) and a 1st . And when that 1st round pick came up, we had a chance to select a bruising top rated defensive defenseman who had slipped to the end of the round. And then we inexplicably dealt away the pick to San Jose who promptly jumped up and drafted Nick Petrecki. Who then went on to captain BC to the NCAA championship

Posted by: cstanton1 | April 22, 2010 10:16 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: joek443 | April 22, 2010 10:07 PM | Report abuse

whats that term? oh yeah, FOOLISH BRAVADO!

I love how you think that beating the Flyers is such a sure easy thing. They beat us 2 yrs ago. And they dispatched a tougher opponent in the Devils then we're seeing with Montreal. And frankly, the Flyers love to match their grit against a skill team. They believe in that type of matchup and they won't respect us too much on the ice. I think they have a lot of confidence playing us in the playoffs. The Caps haven't proven anything so far except rack up an impressive reg season record. They haven't even looked great against Montreal, not exactly a scary opponent. So where do you get that bravado from? A team that has a hard time stringing together 60 min hockey games hasn't proven anything except that they can pull out games against a weak opponent as long as our goaltending stands on its head.

Posted by: cstanton1 | April 22, 2010 10:23 PM | Report abuse

I don't know why you're even on here.. it's obvious that you're no fan of this team.

why don't you hang around on the philly board where you'll feel right at home??

Posted by: joek443 | April 22, 2010 10:29 PM | Report abuse

So Bruce has indicated he's likely to start Varly in Game 5 of this series, and will wait to make further decisions until it's clearer what's going on with the goalies/defense/offense/opposition in the game that's involved? As opposed to making decisions based on 100 years of playoff history, last year's playoffs, this season in December, (before Varly's injury), the dressing on his garden salad, the size of the cup holders in his Mercedes, the density of the fog over Dulles Airport, the entrails of the penguins in front of Verizon, or what have you?

Can't format the sarcasm alert, but I thought that was what a coach is SUPPOSED to do.

Posted by: miseaujeu | April 22, 2010 10:31 PM | Report abuse

why don't you hang around on the philly board where you'll feel right at home??

Posted by: joek443 | April 22, 2010 10:29 PM | Report abuse

typical response, you never disappoint me Joe. After all, whats easier than dismissing someone as a hater or a troll just because they don't share the same rosy myopic view. Blissful ignorance is a good thing for some people I guess. But hey, to each their own. I only criticize because I care (sniffle)

Posted by: cstanton1 | April 22, 2010 10:33 PM | Report abuse

Wow. Was at the Rock tonight for Game 5.

BRUTAL. The Flyers aren't real scary right now, but the Devils made them look it. Sure hoping the Caps can show just how badly the Devils played with a couple great games against the Flyers. That's what happens when you build a team around some good top-6 players with no thought whatsoever to building a proper bottom-6 - Leblond shouldn't be a player on any team with real Cup aspirations.

Time to start checking Amtrak schedules to DC.

Posted by: KurtNYC | April 22, 2010 10:37 PM | Report abuse

OK cstanton1 we can start an I Hate Semin club. Any other takers?

Posted by: TempusFugitRGV1 | April 22, 2010 10:05 PM | Report abuse

I'd like to also incorporate a Jeff Schultz needs to man up club.

Posted by: cstanton1 | April 22, 2010 10:37 PM | Report abuse

if you don't have enough faith that the Caps can't beat a bunch of wounded goons with no goalie like philly, you ARE no fan of this team...

that's a team that BARELY made the playoffs on the last day of the season... they had a good run and upset NJ. They will go no further. Montreal actually has some goaltending, there's NO FRIGGIN' way they can win a series of shootouts against the Caps.

no Carter and Brian Boucher in net... you gotta be kidding

Posted by: joek443 | April 22, 2010 10:44 PM | Report abuse

It REALLY doesn't matter. I sat in the stands at the old Capital Centre during the inaugural 8 win season in '74-'75. I've been waiting 36 years for a Cup so all the strategy in the world does not matter. Detroit already punked us (4-0!!) during our only finals appearance - so I just need a championship. Don't make me wait 102 years like the Cubs have made their fans wait. But at least the Cubs have Won a Championship!!!

Posted by: Moontock | April 22, 2010 10:45 PM | Report abuse

Great game between pitt and ott right now.

Posted by: T-ROB | April 22, 2010 11:00 PM | Report abuse

yep - the sens goalie's (leclaire?) play is very varlyesque

Posted by: ebolean1 | April 22, 2010 11:04 PM | Report abuse

HATE Philly, city, teams ... all of it (even Sesame Street is a grungy kids show). The Caps will crush this team after they take care of the Habs. If Pitt-Bos is in the cards then I cannot wait to see Chara destroy Cindy.

Posted by: flee001 | April 22, 2010 11:05 PM | Report abuse

this game between the pens and the sens should be a caution to the Caps tomorrow night... I'm sure most people including myself thought the pens would walk all over the sens in this game and win easily.

this is also why you can't rest anyone in the playoffs unless you have a 3 games to 0 lead because one game can turn a series around.

Posted by: joek443 | April 22, 2010 11:36 PM | Report abuse

sens beat the filthy flightless fowl

Posted by: ebolean1 | April 22, 2010 11:41 PM | Report abuse

all the pitt fans they're showing look so pissed lol

Posted by: T-ROB | April 22, 2010 11:41 PM | Report abuse

Bad day @ work.
Made better by pinz loss.

WOOOOWEEEEE!!!!

Posted by: Rocc00 | April 22, 2010 11:42 PM | Report abuse

I agree with joek443

Caps cannot lay an egg tomorrow night. A very critical game tomorrow night.

Posted by: hockeynightincanada | April 22, 2010 11:43 PM | Report abuse

If they lay an egg, they'll win the next game. I'm not joining the Scaredy Cat Fan Club. :)

NHL.com has a really sweet photo print of one of Varley's terrific glove saves Tuesday night in their Frozen Moments section:

Posted by: blackjack65 | April 22, 2010 11:47 PM | Report abuse

OK cstanton1 we can start an I Hate Semin club. Any other takers?

Posted by: TempusFugitRGV1 | April 22, 2010 10:05 PM | Report abuse

I'd like to also incorporate a Jeff Schultz needs to man up club.

Posted by: cstanton1 | April 22, 2010 10:37 PM |

These two guys are two of a kind. LOL.

One would like to trade a 40 goal scores 86 point guy for a 16 goal 40 point guy. He must live in bizarro world. Hint: the idea is to put the puck in the net - 86 >40 and 40 > 16.

The other seems to be just plain xenophobic as he really doesn't have a real argument against Semin, other than just plain hate for the guy. According to this guy Semin is not a good player, Schultz is lousy defenseman (forget that he led the league on +/-), Green sucks, GMGM is a lousy manager, forget the fact that his team has the best record in the league, and that the Bears well ... enough said.

Morons and proud to shout it out. You guys crack me up ... thank you for the laugh.

Posted by: isthatallthereis | April 23, 2010 12:52 AM | Report abuse

I'm with you isthatallthereis!
Remember though, doing that gets them attention.
Else where would they get any notice?
ps don't forget ak443. He's a real xeno too.

Posted by: Rocc00 | April 23, 2010 1:19 AM | Report abuse

I only criticize because I care (sniffle)

Posted by: cstanton1 | April 22, 2010 10:33 PM | Report abuse

No. You just only criticize. It's really the only song in your book.

Posted by: Justafan | April 23, 2010 5:30 AM | Report abuse

Bad day @ work.
Made better by pinz loss.

WOOOOWEEEEE!!!!

Posted by: Rocc00 | April 22, 2010 11:42 PM | Report abuse

awwwww bad day at mickey d's, towel boy???

Posted by: joek443 | April 23, 2010 8:09 AM | Report abuse

@tempusfugit, @cstanton (sorry for any unintentional mispellings...)

I don't think Alexander Kharlamov was a bust at all, but Alexander VOLCHKOV was! Agreed that opportunity and system play a big part in how successful a player can be. Fehr could be a top 6 player but on the Caps there are better players in front of him, for instance. I think Lepisto is showing he's a solid NHL defenseman, but here he made one mishandle of a puck and that was it.

I def think Theo needs to get some starts, esp if we have a long run. I wouldn't mind seeing him get a start early in the Philly series (assuming we get past Mtl)...I bet he wins that game.

Posted by: RedLitYogi | April 23, 2010 11:22 AM | Report abuse

Bad day @ work.
Made better by pinz loss.

WOOOOWEEEEE!!!!

Posted by: Rocc00 | April 22, 2010 11:42 PM | Report abuse

awwwww bad day at mickey d's, towel boy???

Posted by: joek443 | April 23, 2010 8:09 AM

Hey joek443, wasn't it you who said, when somebody has no real argument or point, they just insult"? hmmmmmm...

Posted by: trinergy | April 23, 2010 1:14 PM | Report abuse