Varlamov Wants Another Year in Russia

During a brief interview with goaltender Simeon Varlamov last night, I asked him why he wanted a clause in his contract that allows him to return to Russia next season. Here's what he said:

"Because there is such a provision in my contract, that means I want to play next year at home in Russia. I want to become tougher mentally and physically, and I can do that by playing another year at the highest level back home."

I have a feeling the Caps will have some say in his decision, but it sounds like his mind is made up to return to Russia for another year in the RSL.

Note: A special thanks to Dmitry Chesnokov of Sovetsky Sport for interpreting.

By Tarik El-Bashir  |  July 12, 2007; 9:00 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Report Card From Tonight's Scrimmage
Next: Arbitration Dates

Comments

I have no problem with this... he looked a little rough yesterday.

Posted by: HolyOlie | July 12, 2007 9:12 AM | Report abuse

Tarik,

So are the Caps signing him now because there's no transfer agreement? I'm just trying to understand the logic behind the signing when the player (and the Caps roster situation) seems to indicate that he'll be back in the RSL for another year.

Posted by: SM | July 12, 2007 9:21 AM | Report abuse

Better to get him under contract now, even if we do not have to pay him.

Posted by: Icarus | July 12, 2007 9:23 AM | Report abuse

they signed him now because he is not under contract in the RSL, so they don't have to pay a small ransom for his release. at least that's the way I understand it.

Posted by: Tarik | July 12, 2007 9:24 AM | Report abuse

Hey Tarik,

Tell Katie she did a nice job on the Backstrom piece.

Posted by: mrmoa | July 12, 2007 9:56 AM | Report abuse

Varlamov - the best!!! (I'm from Russia, Yaroslavl)

Posted by: JetPilot | July 12, 2007 11:12 AM | Report abuse

I have no problem with Varlamov going back to Russia. Frankly, if anyone makes the jump to Hershey it should probably be Neurvith.

Posted by: borr4 | July 12, 2007 11:27 AM | Report abuse

If anyone's interested, the good people over at On Frozen Blog have about 4 minutes of video from yesterday's scrimmage posted. Some good focuses on Alzner and Backstrom.

Posted by: HolyOlie | July 12, 2007 11:32 AM | Report abuse

Good. I'd rather him get a lot of playing time next season, considering that Olie will still be here. It's after that I want to see him over here in a Caps jersey competing with Johnson.

You go on home.

Posted by: DrinkingPartner | July 12, 2007 11:35 AM | Report abuse

I know this if off topic, but...
Any word from Olie about his views on the new players joining the Caps and how he thinks the team will do this upcoming season? Is his happy with what GMGM has done.
Thanks

Posted by: kenhockey | July 12, 2007 12:03 PM | Report abuse

Tarik,
So if he is under contract in the RSL does that mean the entry level contract kicks in after that contract is up or does this count against the 3 year entry level contract and then he gets to renegotiate.

Posted by: marcusmarcus | July 12, 2007 12:56 PM | Report abuse

Possible reason for signing this contract, is that a new law (regulation) is prepared in our country concerning labour rules for sportsmen. Things can turn such a way, that it would be very hard (nearly impossible) for him to leave RSL next year,

Posted by: SU (Russia, Yaroslavl) | July 12, 2007 1:21 PM | Report abuse

Thanks for the link HolyOlie!

Posted by: Larry | July 12, 2007 2:39 PM | Report abuse

Another reason to get him signed is that he was drafted under the new CBA, so Caps have to sign him within 2 years or lose his rights, just like with CHL players, which did not used to be the case.The signing is early, but I'm sure that, given potential Russian complications, they just wanted it done now for peace of mind.

Posted by: Ric | July 12, 2007 3:06 PM | Report abuse

Eric McErlain clarifies Varlamov's contract status, courtesy of Dimitry Chesnokov:
Seems like there's no way he's gonna play in North America next season.

Posted by: Scai | July 12, 2007 3:37 PM | Report abuse

thinking of heading to kettler on friday during lunch. anyone know what the intraday schedule is? will they be on the ice during the lunch hour?

Posted by: Cap Fan 1 | July 12, 2007 3:55 PM | Report abuse

I'm leaving work an hour early on Friday and heading down for the scrimmage. If you see a 6'6" guy geeking out on hockey in July feel free to come by and say hey.

Thanks everyone for the opinions and the links. It's pretty nice to have some positive stuff to talk about in the summer isn't it?

Posted by: Shmoo | July 12, 2007 7:08 PM | Report abuse

Cap Fan, save yourself a trip. There's nothing going on at lunchtime. 8:30am-11:00am is practice drills and 4:30-6:00pm is when they scrimmage.

Posted by: borr4 | July 12, 2007 11:09 PM | Report abuse