Varying reactions to Alex Ovechkin suspension

(Toni L. Sandys/The Washington Post)

Morning roundup

Here's an Alex Ovechkin suspension-themed collection of links for your reading pleasure (or disgust):

*Bruce Boudreau is not pleased.

*Late add: More from Boudreau, Mariotti and Ovie. (Bog)

*No rhyme or reason to NHL's 'discipline' (ESPN)

*NHL's one-size-fits-all rules. (Globe and Mail)

*Suspension is wrong, but so are Boudreau's comments. (Puck Daddy)

*Top 10 reasons why the suspension is good. (FFODC)

*I want my innocent Ovi back. (On Frozen Blog)

*Craig Adams' hit on Ovechkin. (Alex Ovetjkin)

*Ovechkin broke a rule. Matt Cooke did not. (The Grinder)

*"Seriously, what a dirty player Ovechkin is. What a disgrace his injurious hit on Blackhawks defenseman Brian Campbell was Sunday. What a pollutant the Capitals' scoring machine is to the NHL. Man, what I wouldn't give to have him on my hockey team." (Daily Herald via Kukla's)

*Damien Cox: "Apparently somebody, perhaps somebody who'd been taking long distance phone calls from unhappy Blackhawks executives, convinced Campbell of the error of his thought process. Conducting the hearing without rolling his eyes in exasperation must have been one heck of a challenge." (Toronto Star)

*At least one Cap is sick of all this Ovie talk: "Does anyone have an idea for this weeks radio show? Please don't say Ovie's suspension!" (@EricFehr16)

(Non-Ovie links and Panthers preview links to come soon.)

By Lindsay Applebaum  |  March 16, 2010; 8:26 AM ET
 | Tags: Alex Ovechkin
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: NHL suspends Alex Ovechkin two games
Next: Tonight's matchup: Caps at Panthers

Comments

From previous thread:

Fletch22: Teams take cheapshots on Ovechkin on a regular basis. He deals with it by hitting them back rather than laying on the ice. I am not implying Campbell was faking, not at all, but Ovi has absorbed hits and popped right back up rather than laying on the ice to draw a penalty. Look, Richards had the headshot on Booth and he had a headshot on someone else back in January, I wish I could remember who it was, but it was right after he scored. Anyhow, Richards isn't considered a dirty player, I guess, because he hasn't been suspended even though his plays are intent to injure plays? That is rediculous.

All of these people trying to say that Cooke and Richards plays aren't penalties this season but they will with the new rule next season are completely wrong. An official always has the ability to call roughing or unsportsmanlike conduct. Headshots already fall into that category.

Posted by: fanohock1 | March 16, 2010 8:44 AM | Report abuse

WHO CARES ABOUT OVECHKIN (we need to have him rested for the playoffs)....

Check this out!!! AWESOME!

Posted by: SoaringCaps | March 16, 2010 8:44 AM | Report abuse

From the previous thread:

This is kind of cool. Pothier was interviewed about this weekends incident here is what he had to say:

"He's not even close to being a dirty player," Pothier said Monday. "He's a physical player and finishes every check he can but is far from being a dirty player.

"Ovie is most effective when he's right on the edge of chaos, when he pushes the envelope. When he's hitting and aggressive and getting on the forecheck and skating, that's when he's great. He can overpower people.

"Sometimes, he's going so hard at the guys, it's hard to stop and pull up. Like I said, it's flirting with the edge. He's full-speed ahead. It's not a dirty hit, but it is borderline reckless."

Pothier said he had seen replays of Ovechkin's hit on Campbell. His take:

"Again, right on the edge. [Ovechkin] pushes him from the side. I think Campbell has to know he's going to be hit and knows he's coming.

"I personally think [Campbell] got his foot caught in a rut and fell awkwardly. I didn't think it was a dirty play or anything. It's unfortunate he got hurt, but I don't think it was all Ovechkin's fault."

Pothier is the first person outside of the Washington camp to even recognize that Campbell's skate hit a rut.

Here's the link:

Posted by: fanohock1 | March 16, 2010 8:45 AM | Report abuse

I guess the NHL just decided Sunday's game was un-Fehr for the Hawks with the Caps coming Back-strom Laich that. That's why Ovi was suspended.

Posted by: fanohock1 | March 16, 2010 8:46 AM | Report abuse

A little late with the news aren't we??? The versus direct tv spat came to an end yesterday afternoon.

Posted by: zcxnissan | March 16, 2010 8:47 AM | Report abuse

Sorry ZCX...I just found out...and I'm very happy...was wondering how I was going to see the cup run for the caps!

Problem SOLVED!

Posted by: SoaringCaps | March 16, 2010 8:49 AM | Report abuse

Wondering if these will be the lines next couple of games:

Semin-Backstrom-Knuble
Laich-Belanger-Flash
Chimera-BMo-Fehr
Steckel/Gordo-Bradley/Walker

Any thoughts?

Posted by: Steakum | March 16, 2010 8:50 AM | Report abuse

Great article by BUrnside on ESPN

Posted by: ttn703 | March 16, 2010 8:50 AM | Report abuse

It must drive the Penguins nuts that Ovie has missed so many games yet they are still 14 points back and have given up 4 points to the Caps...whats wrong with the Pens? Why cant they keep pace?

Posted by: SA-Town | March 16, 2010 8:56 AM | Report abuse

It's pretty strange that of the 6 games the Caps play against the Panthers this season, Ovechkin will have played in only 2. Gee, does the fact that Colin Campbell's son plays for the Panthers have anything to do with it? Sure is an odd coincidence.

Posted by: Steakum | March 16, 2010 9:01 AM | Report abuse

The only people who call Ovi a dirty player are either Crosby fans or people who are jealous of him. Ovi is a big powerful guy who makes big powerful hits. Even his shoves are powerful. Ronnie Lott (SF 49'ers) made a reputation as the hardest hitter in the league. I dont' recall anyone saying he was a dirty player, just a hard hitter.

Posted by: rjma1 | March 16, 2010 9:05 AM | Report abuse

Its "disgust" for me Lindsay, but I did click on the Fehr link!

Looking forward to game time.

The one time that every DC media outlet is talking Caps at the same time and its this stuff...sigh.

Posted by: wtf_e_fehr | March 16, 2010 9:06 AM | Report abuse

Well I was already missing Pothier before! Now I want to drive to NC pick him up and bring him home!

Also...I have no problem with Knuble's comment, but I am dissapointed he chose to share it with the media...That is something that could have been useful as a private discussion between a veteran and a young star in the locker room.

Posted by: capscoach | March 16, 2010 9:06 AM | Report abuse

Knuble's right though...Ovie needs to understand this.

You know, Ovie has no respect for anyone...even himself. I love his rough and tumble style, but he needs to definately pick his spots...

Sooner or later it's going to wear himself down..and we will miss him for a long time...

Posted by: SoaringCaps | March 16, 2010 9:17 AM | Report abuse

Not too long ago I scoffed at some posters who thought there was an NHL bias against the Caps and Ovechkin. I am obviously rethinking that and apologize for those comments.

Ovechkin did push Campbell and it was boarding. However, Campbell's skate getting caught in a rut had more to do with the injury than the shove. IMHO there was no intent to injure or malice. Therefore the suspension IMHO is just plain wrong. It was an unfortunate situation.

Cooke's hit was wrong and deserved a suspension. I don't believe the BS that there is nothing in the rulebook against it. There is. When you try to take someone's head off it is an attempt to injure and that is covered in the rulebook.

My only question is what creative way will the NHL come up with next to make themselves look bad?

Posted by: BetterOffWithFedorov | March 16, 2010 9:19 AM | Report abuse

It amazes me to see all the apologists for Ovechkin. Bruce, Ted, George, his teammates...except for the very brave Knuble....are all in lockstep. Most disturbing was Bruce's comment that he just didn't have the heart to tell Ovechkin about the suspension because all he wants to do is to play hard. That sounds like something I would say to my 10 year old when he's first learning how to check as a PeeWee and goes over the line. Ovechkin is an adult making more money than anyone in the NHL and with a C on his chest. I don't think he's intent on injuring anyone, but he needs to grow up and realize that his reckless actions disrespect the other players. He just doesn't get it, and those around him are enablers. Makes the whole organization look bad.

Posted by: vahockeyfan | March 16, 2010 9:21 AM | Report abuse

SoaringCaps: I disagree, I see Ovi pull out of hits on a regular basis. If he didn't respect his fellow players he would always follow through. Ask yourself this, when watching the Caps on TV how many times have you heard a roar from a crowd for something happening off the screen where Ovi is involved? I'd say, I cannot even remember the last time that happened. That is because he delivers his hits when the puck is there. Even with Campbell he had just passed the puck against the grain. IMO reckless players, and the Caps don't have any right now, are the typical 4th line guys that go out and follow through with their checks even if the puck has been gone for a couple of seconds. Ovi does not play like that.

Posted by: fanohock1 | March 16, 2010 9:24 AM | Report abuse

@vahockeyfan

Your probably also cheering for him when he goes out of his way to land a big hit....play with fire, and sometimes you get burned...

Ovie makes mistakes....it's a fast game..it was a borderline hit...the injury is unfortunate...but it happens...

Posted by: SA-Town | March 16, 2010 9:26 AM | Report abuse

If your son is 10 he would be a squirt. Not allowed to check until he is 11.

Posted by: fanohock1 | March 16, 2010 9:27 AM | Report abuse

Here are plays since Ovi's that did warrant a suspension:

Downie got a 2 minute minor, Orpik got absolutely nothing for causing Stamkos to hit the boards in the same manner Campbell did.

Seidenberg didn't even get a minor.

With these other hits not even getting a minor I absolutely confused as to why Ovi got a suspension and that people are willing to call him dirty. It's just stupid.

Posted by: fanohock1 | March 16, 2010 9:39 AM | Report abuse

I should have said did not warrant a suspension, or even a review for that matter. Sorry.

Posted by: fanohock1 | March 16, 2010 9:43 AM | Report abuse

fanohock 1: I know that. He has one more year of squirt left, but it is amazing how those kids (especially in the A and AA travel ranks )push the envelope as they get closer to checking.

Posted by: vahockeyfan | March 16, 2010 9:48 AM | Report abuse

The NHL is all about injuries...if you hurt someone bye-bye...unless your Mike Richards or Matt Cooke...you can make someone eat through a straw and get nothing.

Posted by: SA-Town | March 16, 2010 9:48 AM | Report abuse

Although injury to the player is a factor in the boarding penalty, I would argue that any supplemental penalty should be based on intent to injure and severity of hit by the offending player. Those are the factors the player can control, so those are the factors the suspension should be aimed at. In Ovi's case, that would have meant a boarding penalty (maybe even a major), but no suspension. According to one of the articles above, that was the conclusion that Colon reached after the game. The article speculates that subsequent calls from the Hawks management forced Colon to order the suspension. If this is true, it is just more evidence of the serious problems with the NHL disciplinary "system."

Posted by: zmega | March 16, 2010 9:50 AM | Report abuse

You people are REFUSING to see or acknowledge what is right in front of you, BIAS!!! Go Ovie, We the REAL fans SUPPORT YOU 100%!!!

Rest up and come back with a fury!!

Posted by: riceldi | March 16, 2010 9:52 AM | Report abuse

It's all about respecting the other players. Goons like Cooke and Downie don't belong in this league because they definitely have intent to injure...that's just what they do. But you also have to stem the tide of reckless play. Same result as with those with intent to injure.

Posted by: vahockeyfan | March 16, 2010 9:55 AM | Report abuse

The Cooke hit on Savard- if you look at the NHL rulebook, you'll notice something called "intent to injure" (it was about as deliberate of a hit to the head from behind as you'll get). I've been in the game for 3+ decades. Cooke's hit is the living embodiment of intent to injure and violates the code that guys like Cooke do not go after skill guys like Savard (you'll note how Cooke immediately turtled as befits his style).

Ovechkin's hit...borderline. Is there intent? No. If Campbell still has the puck, then this isn't even being discussed. Pothier noted it looked like Campbell's skate blade hit a rut...highly possible.

The problem I have is this- if Campbell gets up and isn't injured, we're not having this discussion, which means that the league has said that the consequence of the hit is a factor. Fine. Savard is likely out for the season with a concussion (arguably robbing Boston of their best forward), so then Cooke (a repeat offender with a brutal record- Grapes rightly tore into him on HNIC) has to get clicked for a few games.

Posted by: jcurrin | March 16, 2010 9:55 AM | Report abuse

@Lindsay

Would you find the video link to Detroit's coach Bowman who comments that he didn't say anything at the time about Cooke's hit but that he found that hit far worse than Ovechkin's. I found it compelling and carried more weight with me than most of the useless and inflammatory talking heads.

Posted by: Capsyoungguns | March 16, 2010 9:59 AM | Report abuse

I THINK THAT CRIAG ADAMS VIDEO says it all boarding shoved in to the boards and Ovie Ovie gets sent to the penalty box. SOmething is not right here. Its alright for other players to do it to Ovie or someone else but god forbid Ovie boards someone

Posted by: cjdwolfpack | March 16, 2010 10:08 AM | Report abuse

From prevous thread:

The push happened as well as the injury. The only thing that can happen now is for Campbell to start healing and Ovie to rest until Saturday. What's done is done.

The blatant lack of the league's disciplinary consistency as well as the obvious and extreme media-driven active tarnishing of a person's character is what's left that continues to really bug. Ovie burst into the league that first game vs Columbus, a powerful force of physicality and scoring prowess. Not much has changed except that he's gotten even better. His physical play on the ice is unique, stunning and amazing - and quite threatening in more ways than one to people.

You could feel more than hear the storm gathering in the distance early on when Ovie hit Briere - another unfortunate situation. There were rumblings then and they've increased in volume with every move, hit and thing that Ovie does, on and off the ice. The hate storm is roaring now and my fear is that Ovie will never be able to escape it, no matter what he does. I guess this was a while in coming but it was always coming nonetheless.

I remain a staunch and steadfast supporter of Ovie because I believe in the trueness of his character and in the skill-thrill style of play he brings to the game. He's no pretender. It's what I like about him and surely it's what others find as fuel for their jealousy and scorn. Ovie shouldn't change a thing.

Hopefully, folks simmer down a bit and we can get back to enjoying some great hockey well into June. The only thing I'm going differently is to start doing is watching games with the volume off that aren't called by our Joe B and Laugher. At least we can count of them for their objectivity. Plus, so much less stressful without all of the inaccurate and mean screeching. :)

GO OVIE!! GO CAPS!!!

Posted by: nena1 | March 16, 2010 10:12 AM | Report abuse

---

This is the quote of the century. There is not one person flying off the handle about how "dirty" OV is or whatever, that wouldn't have him on their team in a heartbeat.

I'm to the point where I'm over even trying to reason with these knuckleheads. My response from now on is: "You're right he is dirty, I'm sure glad my team doesn't have to play against him. Sucks to be you."

That said, the irony of Penguins fans complaining about OV's "dirty play" when they have Cooke, Kunitz, and Orpik isn't lost on anyone with a brain.

Posted by: VTDuffman | March 16, 2010 10:13 AM | Report abuse

they're just trying to make sure crosby or anybody else gets the scoring title. but probably crosby. still, i'm glad he didn't get hurt. the league needs both of them.

Posted by: trufe | March 16, 2010 10:15 AM | Report abuse

@Steakum

I like those lines. But what i really want to see is Fehr getting top line minutes. Call it an experiment, but look at what he does with limited ice time. Put him up top with Backstrom and see where it goes. It's worth experimenting for a game or 2.

Posted by: Fro_ | March 16, 2010 10:18 AM | Report abuse

Did anybody else watch NHL on the Fly last night? Who was that idiot (Michael somebody?) claiming that it was 'obvious' that Ovie couldn't have hit him any more squarely in the back. What are these people smoking -- and can I get some? They are all entitled to their opinions, but they're not entitled to their own facts. And then some other idiots (was it the Versus intermission guys?) clinging to their illusion that there is no anti-non-Canadian bias. Did they not see that Crosby v. Ovie crap that CBC put out before the Olympics, which we all dissected here and elsewhere? This is what we are fighting.

Posted by: wotansdad | March 16, 2010 10:20 AM | Report abuse

Ovie, my suggestion to you is to obtain a Canadian citizenship and all this suspension cr@p will disappear from the radar. It is good to be Canadian in the NHL.

Posted by: riceldi | March 16, 2010 10:27 AM | Report abuse

**Breaking News**

Ovie just became a Canadian citizen and the suspension has been rescinded and will suit up to play tonight

Posted by: riceldi | March 16, 2010 10:31 AM | Report abuse

I hate it when people say Ovie does not respect other players. Who have respected Ovie? I have seen every single Caps games. I have seen what other players try to do to Ovie. They have hit him from behind, speared him, slashed him.... and regardless he keeps playing and never whined about it. I yet to see any disciplinary action taken. Adams did not even got a penalty!!

NHL wants to put Ovie in some sort of mold. He cannot celebrate, he cannot hit, ... . Do they want him to be one of the old time Russian players who acted like robots???

I am so mad right now that I keep typing incoherently. Oh while I am at it, for the people who call Ovie a dirty player, go F yourselves.

Posted by: ATOMIX1 | March 16, 2010 10:33 AM | Report abuse

It appears we are that close to seeing the hockey players with streamers on their gloves and glitter on their helmets. Please don't turn hockey into figure skating. Someone start the petition.

Posted by: LeftCoastCapsFan | March 16, 2010 10:41 AM | Report abuse

From Litter Box Cats, Florida Panthers blog at SBNation:

With Alexander Ovechkin now suspended two games for his hit on Chicago's Brian Campbell - including tonight's in Sunrise - there exists a small contingent of hockey fans who claim bias from the NHL executive who ruled on the matter: league disciplinary czar Colin Campbell. What possible favoritism could be in play? Campbell's son Gregory is a Panther. (Got to wonder who still may have been unaware of that fact...)

Brushing aside the inevitible confusion resulting from three principals in this affair sharing a surname and the smashingly obvious opportunities for a sitcom pilot ("My Three Soups"?), I must agree there is the potential for an appearance of bias, given (Colin) Campbell's ruling directly affects a game in which his son's club is involved.

In previous matters regarding the Panthers, Campbell the Elder typically recuses himself from the disciplinary process in an effort to eliminate the perception of favoritism, but not in this case. All the more confounding considering Ovie's suspension was not automatic.

Alex The Great remains just that, and everyone will have forgotten all about this when Washington squares off against Pittsburgh in a week.

What is a problem has been the Caps' having no difficulty gutting the Cats all year - with or without Ovechkin: A 26-12 goal differential in five games fleshes that out pretty handily.

Posted by: RIVETTESGR | March 16, 2010 10:42 AM | Report abuse

Sadly, Caps fans aren't able to drop whatever they're doing to head to Canadia to tell Campbell and Bettman what utter morons they are. We actually all have jobs to do.

Posted by: LeftCoastCapsFan | March 16, 2010 10:43 AM | Report abuse

Way to go Ted! Leonsis put a link to the Craig Adams video on his web site today. Me thinks Buttman and Colon are not going to be very happy about that.

Posted by: Gambrills4 | March 16, 2010 10:44 AM | Report abuse

this whole experience has highlighted the fact that few, if any Caps fans(and Caps managment) can be honest about these situations. Of all the people, you think the Coach would temper his public remarks and actually coach his star player about his on-ice decision making. I don't care what any of you say, if the same happened to OV you would be raving mad. I can only imagine the shade of red Bouds would be ranting and raving all over the place. OV was judged on the history of his on-ice behavior, not in compasison to others behavior. does the NHL need to get better in how it handles punishment? DEFINITELY. does that excuse OV and any other perpatrators for their actions? NO. Boarding is illegal and the refs decided in warranted a major. The rules allow supplemental punishment. The chips fell.

OV needs to make better decisions for the team. Not even the Coach seems to give this any credance. the only guy that seems to understand this is Mike Knuble.

Posted by: doughless | March 16, 2010 10:45 AM | Report abuse

Wondering if these will be the lines next couple of games:

Semin-Backstrom-Knuble
Laich-Belanger-Flash
Chimera-BMo-Fehr
Steckel/Gordo-Bradley/Walker

Any thoughts?

Posted by: Steakum | March 16, 2010 8:50 AM

I would switch Belanger and BMo, and remove any mention of Gordon. But otherwise, looks like a good combo.

And vahockeyfan, it's called playing hard, not being reckless. If he was being reckless, he would have checked Campbell and finished the check by putting him into the boards. Instead, all he did was shove Campbell, who was unfortunate enough to get his skate caught in the ice and trip.

Posted by: timmyv38 | March 16, 2010 10:48 AM | Report abuse

Hey everyone. If you feel the need to vent, and have sirius satellite radio with NHL Home Ice you can call in all day long today and vent! Just heard several people venting on several shows. Have at it!

Posted by: kyle_woodruff | March 16, 2010 10:49 AM | Report abuse

The persecution complex plaguing Capitals fans has reached delusional proportions.

The suspension is not proof of any anti-Capitals, anti-European, anti-Russian (and by proxy pro-Pittsburgh, pro-Crosby, pro-Canadian) bias.

It does speak to the NHL's inconsistency in dealing with enforcement of its own rules, both on the ice and off. Burnside's article should be required reading in Toronto.

But just because other players deserving of suspension weren't punished doesn't mean Ovi shouldn't have been suspended. Viewed in a vaccuum, the suspension is fair.

Posted by: JohninMpls | March 16, 2010 10:49 AM | Report abuse

I agree with Scott Burnside from ESPN and Damien Cox from Toronto Star and especially nena1. The NHL is in shambles when it comes to discipline. Bettman and Campbell should be gone.

I'd like to throw my hat in the ring for the nomination of NHL commissioner. It can't get any worse!

Posted by: jwash4472 | March 16, 2010 10:52 AM | Report abuse

Fanohock,

The January headshot was Carter, not Richards.

Posted by: Steve_R | March 16, 2010 10:55 AM | Report abuse

It was a push, not a hit. It was completely legal. Campbell lost his edge and fell, likely because of a rut in the less than wonderful ice.

Posted by: OvechkinFan92801 | March 16, 2010 10:56 AM | Report abuse

Did anyone hear Denis Potvin on XM Home Ice this morning? Potvin said that Ovi's hit was routine and part of the reason Campbell got hurt was because he was twisting his body to reverse the puck as opposed to carrying it behind the net. He did this of course hoping that a Hawks player behind him would get the puck and shoot it, which makes the notion of Ovi finishing the check/push a sensible one.

Potvin's take on the incident coupled with Bowman's take--both voices of experience and without personal agendas in the outcome--makes me furious at the inconsistent and baffling ruling by Campbell given his hands' off approach to other much more serious infractions. The NHL’s disciplinary proceedings are a joke as far as I'm concerned.

Every time a Caps player is boarded, from Adams of the Pens boarding of Ovi (no penalty on ice or afterwards) to the Hawks on Semin just last Sunday (likewise no penalty or even notice on ice), we fans should all take note and demand that the NHL to take action. It's clear that the media's attention gets Campbell's attention so let's get the media's attention to refocus on how often boarding happens and how often it's not called. And how often it happens to a Caps player.

I do believe that the best way to change the rhetoric is to reframe the debate. Don't argue a point if you disagree with its basic premise--therefore, I will not engage in any debate that is based upon the notion of "reckless" as it pertains to Ovi. I will change the debate to how often and in which situations does boarding get called. We live in Washington, DC, after all. This reframing the debate is carried out on a daily basis around here. We should be old hands at it no matter where one falls on the political spectrum.

Posted by: Capsyoungguns | March 16, 2010 10:57 AM | Report abuse

doughless: Ironically you are always argue that the Caps need big strong hard hitting players in their line-up. You have even chimed in that Pronger would be a great addition. Well, Pronger has been suspended many times in his career. He has been accused of playing on the edge. Since you always seem to be on the opposite side of the Caps situation you are either not a Caps fan, or just someone that always likes to stir things up by being different. I'd be interested in knowing if you are always the guy in your circle of frieds that complains about everything and everyone. One step away from black eye liner and black fingernail polish.

Posted by: fanohock1 | March 16, 2010 10:57 AM | Report abuse

dough/clueless,

The same thing has already happened to Ovi. Craig Adams boarded him last month on national television. The entire NBC crew admonished Adams for his dirty hit. Know the facts before you open your clueless mouth.

Posted by: Gambrills4 | March 16, 2010 10:57 AM | Report abuse

A few comments regarding lines: 1. Chimera looked awfully good with Backs and Knubs in the 3rd. 2. When Ovie comes back, sit BMo. He hasn't done a thing since his between-the-legger around Christmas-time. Or has he been pacing himself for half a season? I'm not seeing he has much left, but I'd be ecstatic to be wrong. Maybe, like Sergei last year, he's got a few key shifts left. 3. Finally, Gabby had learned to keep lines together, until GMGM's trades gave him too many guys to play with. I'm willing to give Bruce about another week to settle on his 12-and-6, and then please keep them set. They had no cohesion while he fiddled since the trades. Please, don't misinterpret me: I KNOW he has to see what he's got, but then he needs to DECIDE and then let them play together.

Posted by: wotansdad | March 16, 2010 11:02 AM | Report abuse

Free Ovie.

Posted by: ljo211 | March 16, 2010 11:03 AM | Report abuse

Steve_R: Thanks. Carter is considered a clean player too. If called on the carpet in January as he should have been, I wonder if he's still be considered a clean player.

I believe the point that is killing most Caps fans is the fact that Ovi gets called onto the carpet after every questionable incident. Other players have had multiple instances but never punished by the league. In a fair league all of these situations would be brought to light.

Posted by: fanohock1 | March 16, 2010 11:04 AM | Report abuse

@Fro_

I'd like to see Fehr get more time, too. I think he gets better as the season goes on.

Posted by: Steakum | March 16, 2010 11:07 AM | Report abuse

WAY TO GO TED!!! Stand up to the NHL's crazy inconsistency and bias!

Posted by: capscoach | March 16, 2010 11:08 AM | Report abuse

fanohock1,

You hit the nail on the head. I'm furious with Colon Campbell. Not because he suspended Ovechkin but because his supplementary discipline is consistently inconsistent.

Posted by: Gambrills4 | March 16, 2010 11:08 AM | Report abuse

As A Panthers fan I love the the way Ovechkin plays with heart and zest but there are times he goes over the edge. He has programed himself to play hard to the body and initiate contact but there are times when he has to know not to make contact, this last one was one of those times. When a player is moving fast off balance just a few feet from the boards a player should know pushing or driving him into the boards will result in injury. Ovechkin has to know when not to make contact. When I first saw the play I didn't think it should have even been a penalty but after seeing the replay I thought it should have been. Hockey is a fast game that requires split second reactions, players are human and do make mistakes, pushing Campbell into the boards was a mistake. My opinion on the suspension is it is due to past actions that Ovechkin has committed. Repeat offenders are given suspensions when other players wouldn't get them. People need to stop comparing the hits of Richards on Booth, under the current rules that hit was legal, although much more brutal than Ovechkin's push of Campbell but both caused serious injury. Ovechkin got a two game suspension, not that big a suspension, Caps are a good enough team to win without him and he gets a few days rest, it is not the worst thing. He is not a dirty player, he is a rough, hard hitting player and when you play rough and hard sometimes there are injuries. In my opinion Ovechkin is the best player in the league because he does play the body hard, he still will be the best if he tones it down a little.

Posted by: info4 | March 16, 2010 11:11 AM | Report abuse

If one watches a typical Capital road game with Ovechkin playing, you would hear at least 2 or 3 wild cheering per period due to someone trying to run at Ovechkin. He gets this type of attention all the time ever since he came to the league. The only things different between him and the other players are that he actually accepts the "contact" and delivers back. All teams preaches "finishing checks" and being more physical than your opponents, especially against a "Star" player that is scoring at will against you. Ovechkin understands this and willingly goes to the net every time while forwards and defenders "push", "hack", "whack", and "grab" him on a regular basis. I have seen so many "non-calls" by these "biased" officials due to the fact that Ovechkin does not fall down and "cry" like the other so-called super stars. Heck, even when Ovechkin does slump on his knees in a few occasions due to a stick to the groin the officials just continue play and "expect" Ovechkin to just shake it off!

I am wondering if there is a video collection of hits and infractions "against" Ovechkin already compiled or can be compiled going forward. I wish the Capitals would do more to submit these types of non-call videos against Ovechkin more often to the league in an effort to show his hits are just part of the game, but I am sure the league would just use them to promote "Canada" day or more anti-Ovechkin campaigns. I just hope this suspension will again give the rest of the team more resolve and confidence to prove to the league that they can play without Ovechkin. But I am sure Bettman and Campbell will find some way to incriminate and suspend the rest of the Capitals too if they continue to play well.

Posted by: JohnWWW | March 16, 2010 11:14 AM | Report abuse

Here's another hit that a Flyer got away with.

This could be punished in the game with an unsportsmanlike conduct, elbow, roughing...well Carter didn't get a minor.

Again, this is in the headshot category, the point is why wasn't Carter put in front of the league for an intent to injure. Carter was obviously upset because it was a short-handed goal that at the time put the Devils up 2-0. Circumstances need to be taken into consideration.

As a matter of fact Lapierre got 4 because it was deemed he was ticked that his man, Nichol got away from him and Lapierre cross-checked him long after Nichol got rid of the puck.

Posted by: fanohock1 | March 16, 2010 11:15 AM | Report abuse

Per Bob McKenzie yesterday:
"Chicago's Nick Boynton on re-entry waivers, to replace Brian Campbell, is the only waiver wire activity today."

This seems to imply that he had to clear re-entry waivers- which I though didn't apply after the trade deadline. Why did I think you could re-call all you wanted (or at least for an injury call up)?

Anyone have insight on this? I have a feeling I'm off a bit.

Posted by: Fro_ | March 16, 2010 11:17 AM | Report abuse

fanodo*che:

i do advocate big hitters, not big hitters that do stupid things. and by the way, I never advocated for bringing Pronger here.

gambrills4:

NHL took action related to OV, not the rest of the league. Inconsistent? Most definitely. in your logic, the NHL cannot take disciplinary action in the present or future becuase they made bad/inconsistent calls in the past. that is moronic logic.

Posted by: doughless | March 16, 2010 11:21 AM | Report abuse

doughless: Clever nickname. How long did it take you to think of that one? Yeah, Ovi does stupid things like lead his team to wins in games that seem hopeless. Your eye-liner is running.

Posted by: fanohock1 | March 16, 2010 11:30 AM | Report abuse

gambrills4:

Posted by: doughless | March 16, 2010 11:21 AM | Report abuse

No it isn't. It is reason for Colon's dismissal clueless.

Posted by: Gambrills4 | March 16, 2010 11:34 AM | Report abuse

"I don't care what any of you say, if the same happened to OV you would be raving mad."

---

The Same thing has happened to OV multiple times, usually it doesn't even warrant a penalty, let alone a suspension.

That's the point.

Posted by: VTDuffman | March 16, 2010 11:35 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: vahockeyfan | March 16, 2010 9:21 AM |

You make the organization look bad with this type of comment.
A reckless comment by you without even knowing the details shows me you're new to this game. Goonism is your comments & attack on what was an accident not intent.

You are entitled to your opinion but the overwhelming opinions from experts, players & posters says you are wrong.

Posted by: Rocc00 | March 16, 2010 11:43 AM | Report abuse

@info4 - When a player is moving fast off balance just a few feet from the boards a player should know pushing or driving him into the boards will result in injury.

I disagree. Ovechkin was over 10' from the boards when he initiated the contact. Video review clearly shows that they were outside the blue line. Had the play gone off as-intended, both would have gone around behind the net, and all would have been well. Ovechkin didn't anticipate bad ice causing a trip, and he sure's sh** didn't anticipate Campbell breaking his collarbone and however many ribs! What's he supposed to do, skate in cotton batting?

Posted by: irockthered | March 16, 2010 11:58 AM | Report abuse

really sort of pathetic.

Posted by: doughless | March 16, 2010 12:06 PM | Report abuse

I disagree. Ovechkin was over 10' from the boards when he initiated the contact. Video review clearly shows that they were outside the blue line. Had the play gone off as-intended, both would have gone around behind the net, and all would have been well. ... What's he supposed to do, skate in cotton batting?
Posted by: irockthered | March 16, 2010 11:58 AM |

Totally agree irockthered. Apparently another guy who doesn't know the dimensions & assumed there was no room back there or that the playing surface is a jigsaw puzzle or that the players were both turning left to go behind the net.

Geesh - accidents happen.
Reckless this is not.

Posted by: Rocc00 | March 16, 2010 12:07 PM | Report abuse

Rocc00: Please remove your tinfoil hat. This is an internet blog. It is free speech at its finest!

I do know the incident, saw it on TV, read about it, read comments and actually know hockey. What more do you want? I specifically said that I do not believe Ovechkin had intent to injure anyone but that he was reckless. I think the vast majority of fans, and even many Caps fans, agree that he plays with at least a little recklessness. There are certainly not overwhelming opinions that Ovechkin is in the free and clear as far as guilt here (unless you only read Caps blogs and the articles they reference, of course).

Recklessness shows disrespect for other players, and condoning that recklessness (as in the Caps mgmt.) is bad mgmt. It does make the organization look bad when there isn't even an acknowledgement that Ovechkin can be reckless.

Posted by: vahockeyfan | March 16, 2010 12:09 PM | Report abuse

Read This!

I've heard nobody mention this but why didn't Cooke get a penalty for charging and then suspended? Didn't Campbell say what Cooke did was legal? Read the rule below and see if you think it applies.

43.1 Charging - A minor or major penalty shall be imposed on a player or goalkeeper who skates or jumps into, or charges an opponent in any manner.

Charging shall mean the actions of a player or goalkeeper who, as a result of distance traveled, shall violently check an opponent in any manner. A “charge” may be the result of a check into the boards, into the goal frame or in open ice.

Posted by: puckman | March 16, 2010 12:20 PM | Report abuse

"well, you donks keep whining the red. you remind me of the tea party morons living in your little conspiracy ladden world.

really sort of pathetic."

---

It's funny that when proven wrong, you just start insulting people.

It's really sort of pathetic.

Posted by: VTDuffman | March 16, 2010 12:29 PM | Report abuse

Get your sh*t together NHL!!

Let's go Caps!

Posted by: DCSPORTSFANATIC | March 16, 2010 12:34 PM | Report abuse

irockthered - 10' from the boards when he initiated the contact at high speed directing him into the boards, they are on skates at high speed. Have you ever skated? They are not on grass. When they are at a high speed skating on ice the boards come quickly. His intent was to push him, he pushed him into the boards. It was a stupid play but I do not believe he is a dirty player, reckless but not dirty.

Posted by: info4 | March 16, 2010 3:41 PM | Report abuse