Video: Alex Ovechkin on the Penguins and Sidney Crosby

(Video by Dan Steinberg.)

It's been somewhat of a role reversal for the Caps' and Pens' respective superstars this season, as winger Alex Ovechkin has had more assists and center Sidney Crosby is scoring more. Here's what No. 8 had to say about it:

"Well, we called each other this summer and he asks me how I score goals, and I ask him how to do assists."

Also, here's a post from Steinberg on Bruce Boudreau, who used the same joke Alex did. Who had it first?

By Lindsay Applebaum  |  January 21, 2010; 1:59 PM ET
 | Tags: Alex Ovechkin, Pittsburgh Penguins
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Jose Theodore vs. Brent Johnson
Next: Mike Green: 'We have a chip on our shoulder'

Comments

Just another reason to love #8. He's a card off the ice, and monster on it!

Posted by: fricknoutstandin | January 21, 2010 2:12 PM | Report abuse

Can you imagine Crosby's answer to that question? Very serious and thoughtful while sucking through his teeth.

Posted by: _Mark | January 21, 2010 2:12 PM | Report abuse

What is wrong with Green's attitude? He cares enough about hockey to be capable of playing close to 30 minutes in a game. Work the point on a PP that clicks at a 25% success rate, leads defensman in scoring, and is tied for the 6th in the league at +19. All while playing for a team that is 31-12-6.

The guy has been a consistent threat to opponents since Boudreau took over in Nov 2007. I swear I am in disbelief when I hear and read people complain about him. Lazy? He often leads the rush and then is the first player back to aid his fellow defenseman.

Team Canada passed on him, so what, good for us and the Caps. When it is said and done Team Canada will probably be second guessing why they brought old legs to the tournament and lacked scoring and speed on the blue line.

Not considering Green a superstar (which I do, but that's my opinion) isn't what makes me scratch my head. Implying he is a liability and lazy is what shocks me. The fact that he doesn't look like he panics with the puck might make him look lazy to some people, and that he skates effortlessly may make him look lazy, but come on folks, he's a top notch hockey player that skates with his head up and goes around players in the neutral zone like they are cones at practice.

Posted by: fanohock1 | January 21, 2010 2:16 PM | Report abuse

Green could be even better on his own end if he put time and effort into it. We need more out of him than offense.

Posted by: Mike4169 | January 21, 2010 2:30 PM | Report abuse

i am a bit of a basher, but Green is still an enigma to me. I can think of few other players in the NHL that can look so good and bad within a matter of minutes within the same game. Maybe it is a maturity thing, maybe it is a work ethic thing, just don't know. i will say that the more i watch his offensive game the more i realize what he is as an asset to the Caps overall success. I really wish and hope that his defense / effort in the Caps end will pick up.

i could care less about his starpower.

Posted by: doughless | January 21, 2010 2:38 PM | Report abuse

Green is effective at both ends of the ice. Sure he is much better on the offensive side of it. This season it looks like he has made a concerted effort to focus a bit more on the defensive end and I believe that it shows... for those willing to look. He will get better as he matures. We are lucky to have him.

Posted by: _Mark | January 21, 2010 2:41 PM | Report abuse

Green has one job...score..and score more when he is on the ice...

He is a fwd that runs from the D.

Anyone that thinks he needs to work on D is crazy...he is young...he will get better with the puck in his own end....He will win the Norris multiple times...most D men are at their best in their late 20's...early 30's..

Posted by: SA-Town | January 21, 2010 2:48 PM | Report abuse

From Previous Article:

"*And finally, the barista here at Starbucks is wearing a black Kris Letang jersey t-shirt. His name tag says he's from Woodbridge, Va. What's up with that?"

He's a bandwagoner (you know, what PIT fans say we all are, while they are all hardcore). His formative sports years were likely the early-mid 90's. I bet if you asked, his other favorite teams would be the Lakers, Cowboys, and Yankees.

Posted by: VTDuffman | January 21, 2010 2:52 PM | Report abuse

Green's defensive issues stem from the same problem afflicting most of the team--lazy passes. Lazy, ill-advised passes that lead to turnovers and cost goals stand out, and he's had a number of them. He'll make 20 great passes and one careless pass, and people will just see the one turnover/goal; not the 20 that may have led to our own scoring opportunties.

He's definitley not the only one who has this issue, though its easier to spot with him because it usually happens on our side of center ice. When Semin makes a dumb drop-pass to nobody; its less likely to turn into goal because he's on O (though it has happened several times this season).

Green gets better every season, and is avgeraging near 30 min/game. Haters will hate; in spite of the facts.

Posted by: CheckingLine | January 21, 2010 3:02 PM | Report abuse

the infamous drop pass at our bluline; why do the Caps players repeat this endlessly?? i have also noticed that once Green no longer is holding the stick with 2 hands, his passes / pokes at the puck often end up with the opposing player collecting it and having a breakaway. seems like if the opposing player is able to prevent him from skating it across our blueline, Green is apt to blunder.

Posted by: doughless | January 21, 2010 3:11 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: _Mark
________________________________________

I dunno. Who's more serious?

Ovechkin said that "on the ice you don't have friends [on opposing teams]," while Crosby said that asking if he has a warm off-ice relationship with Ovechkin is "like asking me if I'm going to be best friends with five guys on the [Philadelphia] Flyers."

Either way, great pre-game banter.

Posted by: ecostello | January 21, 2010 3:21 PM | Report abuse