Winter Classic 2011: Caps, Pens attempt 'field goals'

As promised, here's some video of a few Washington Capitals and Pittsburgh Penguins players attempting to shoot the puck through the uprights at Heinz Field, site of the 2011 Winter Classic.

After motioning for a stray camera man/Washington Post hockey writer to step out of the way, Caps winger Mike Knuble sent the puck straight through the goal posts, while Pittsburgh's Max Talbot -- center of attention today after his comments about Alex Ovechkin -- was among those who came up short.

[Update: Here's more on Talbot's comments and the day's events in Pittsburgh.]

And here's a view from the other side:

By Lindsay Applebaum  |  July 27, 2010; 1:58 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Caps-Pens Winter Classic logos unveiled
Next: Caps re-sign Tomas Fleischmann

Comments

Thanks Max! Nothing like some nasty words posted on the locker room wall to get Ovie and the Caps fired up!

Posted by: Thisistheyear | July 27, 2010 2:30 PM | Report abuse

Will Maxime even make the Pens' roster this year?

Posted by: redrocker2 | July 27, 2010 2:38 PM | Report abuse

What did he say? I can't listen at work...

Posted by: jakopz | July 27, 2010 2:38 PM | Report abuse

JapersRink:
Talbot calls Ovechkin a d0uche. Classy. Yawn.

Posted by: Skullduggery65 | July 27, 2010 2:49 PM | Report abuse

I tried to post it for you jakopz but it was held by the editor.

Posted by: PhilR | July 27, 2010 2:49 PM | Report abuse

I had written an earlier post about what he said but I quoted Talbot and it must have run afoul of the Post censor!

Essentially he told the radio guys from Pitt that he hated Ovie, was glad Ovie was not at today's press conference, that Ovie was a ******(think of a term for a woman's treatment for a sensitive area). The announcers were laughing and agreeing with him.

They also said that was the reason they were happy Talbot was on air and not Sid- that Sid would give them the 'politically correct' answer but Talbot would not.

I think Tarik is writing an article for tomorrow's Post with more detail. I didn't listen to the entire clip because I couldn't believe a professional athlete would talk like that in public.

Posted by: Thisistheyear | July 27, 2010 2:50 PM | Report abuse

Exactly skullduggery, and why would that word be held by the post editor......pretty silly.

Posted by: PhilR | July 27, 2010 2:51 PM | Report abuse

Ponikarovski signs in LA. Frolov was holding up everything not Kovalchuk.

Posted by: ThePat | July 27, 2010 2:51 PM | Report abuse

No big controversy. We all know Talbot would be singing a different tune if Ovi was a teammate rather than an opponent.

Posted by: tess2201 | July 27, 2010 2:51 PM | Report abuse

I'm trying to think of something snarky in regards to Ovi being a d0uche and Crosby being a v4gina. Someone help a brother out.

Posted by: Skullduggery65 | July 27, 2010 2:55 PM | Report abuse

I think LA was just desperate to get any winger at this point. They downgraded getting Ponikarovsky for Frolov. Especially considering they needed more offense, skill, and goal scoring on the wings.

Posted by: sgm3 | July 27, 2010 2:58 PM | Report abuse

Thanks. Wowsers. Good motivator although they probably don't need any more of that against Pitt.

Posted by: jakopz | July 27, 2010 2:58 PM | Report abuse

If you ever have the opportunity to watch a Pens game on Fox Sports Pittsburgh, you'll see Max "Ladies Man" Talbot doing some really cheesy car commercials. He makes BB look like a good actor! Nothing Talbot says will surprise me.

Posted by: tess2201 | July 27, 2010 3:01 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Skullduggery65 | July 27, 2010 2:55 PM

Ovi will clean Crosby's clock.

Posted by: tominsocal1 | July 27, 2010 3:04 PM | Report abuse

This is where you miss Donald Brashear. Everybody was so polite when he was with Caps. I think GMGM needs to bring another enforcer just for insurance.

Posted by: CodePoetry | July 27, 2010 3:10 PM | Report abuse

It is quite humorous that people are shocked that Talbot called Ovi a dbag. Who cares, Im sure plenty of people think Ovechkin is a dbag. Just like plenty of people think Talbot or Crosby is. To me its refreshing to hear a player speak his mind about another player. Whoever was out in Las Vegas last year for the awards show can tell you there were a few players that acted like jerks at times and it wouldnt surprise me if Ovi was one of them. Every person has their moments where they dont want to deal with anyone. This is not a big deal at all.

Posted by: ThePat | July 27, 2010 3:23 PM | Report abuse

Caps do miss a presence (everyone but McPhee seems to understand that), and whatever Max Talbot says, I'd love to have him on my team esp over a guy like Boyd Gordon. Talbot got drafted in the 8th round the yr Gordo went first. He does everything better than Gordo. He was one of the big reasons the Pens won the Cup last yr. Played every forward position, hit everything, scored timely goals. The only thing separating Gordo from Talbot is mental toughness. Talbot has surpassed his only limited skillset by sheer determination and tenacity.

Posted by: cstanton1 | July 27, 2010 3:25 PM | Report abuse

------------------

exactly. What they say on the ice is a million times worse so this is a nothing incident. Ovy's still a great player and he'll probably just snicker about it.

Posted by: cstanton1 | July 27, 2010 3:27 PM | Report abuse

Did anyone see what Ken Holland said about his Zetterberg and Franzen contracts:

"They're legal under the CBA," Holland said of the behemoth deals. "It's a creative way of bringing cap number down."

Doesn't this then qualify as circumventing the cap?

Posted by: sgm3 | July 27, 2010 3:29 PM | Report abuse

Sounds like just Talbot being honest that he didn't like his first impression and genuinely dislikes Ovie. No big deal!

good for the rivalry and for lockerroom talk!

They can talk all they want... hopefully we can win it this year and be on the same level and talk the smack back...

Posted by: FrankM73 | July 27, 2010 3:43 PM | Report abuse

I've been calling Crosby the same thing since Day 1.

No big deal.

Posted by: CF11555 | July 27, 2010 3:53 PM | Report abuse

Frankly, I would hate Ovechkin too if I was on another team.

Posted by: poguesmahone | July 27, 2010 4:03 PM | Report abuse

on 2nd thoughts its a compliment. If Ovy was a real nice guy on the ice and everyone loved him he probably isn't doing his job very well.

Posted by: cstanton1 | July 27, 2010 4:03 PM | Report abuse

This is a non-issue.

Posted by: Fro_ | July 27, 2010 4:10 PM | Report abuse

@ThePat

Talbot had 2G and 5A last year. I'm pretty sure he wasn't at the award show this year unless there is an award for greatest underachiever.

Posted by: sgm3 | July 27, 2010 4:18 PM | Report abuse

Yeah, I just moved to Raleigh and I definitely got a wake up call in terms of Ovie love. There's none down here for sure.

Posted by: jakopz | July 27, 2010 4:19 PM | Report abuse

@sgm3

so you dont listen to the clip and you are commenting on this??? The clip is about how Malkin introduced Talbot to Ovi at the 2009 awards ceremony. Talbot was definitely there, I was there. They all brought in the Staley Cup to start the show. Ovi was kind of standoffish a lot of the time he was out there but he had so much stuff going on, he didnt want to be bothered in his free time. So Malkin introduced Talbot to him, Ovi probably was like hi and didnt say anything else. Talbot now thinks hes a dbag. The end.

Posted by: ThePat | July 27, 2010 4:23 PM | Report abuse

@ThePat

Calm down. I was making a joke about Talbot and the 2010 awards.

Lighten up.

Posted by: sgm3 | July 27, 2010 4:25 PM | Report abuse

very unprofessional of Talbot. These athletes types need to grow up a bit and realize regular people could get fired for something like that.

That being said, I doubt Ovechkin needs to worry about Talbot's feelings.

Posted by: lornemyoung | July 27, 2010 4:29 PM | Report abuse

@jakopz

Yeah, a lot of hockey fans who are fans of eastern conference teams generally dislike Ovie. But when discussing Ovie they all respect his ability and how he plays, but they just dislike him.

This is generally true with any top athlete in any sport today and can be looked upon as a positive. Because as cstanton1 mentioned, if you are universally liked you are probably not doing everything right on the ice.

Posted by: sgm3 | July 27, 2010 4:30 PM | Report abuse

@sgm3

Im calm. And your joke wasnt funny.

Posted by: ThePat | July 27, 2010 4:30 PM | Report abuse

@ThePat

Well I thought it was. To each their own.

Posted by: sgm3 | July 27, 2010 4:31 PM | Report abuse

on serious note, I didnt listen to the quote, but I am seriously offended by this hatred of women some fans and players throw around.. I have some female friends that could outplay any of whimps I hear in the stands using female anatomy to insult players.. it is seriously offensive to me and other female fans. do you want your daughter to hear that at a game?. lets not propagate our blog with that crap. Its bad enough we had Corvo for awhile on the team.. I will boo ANY player who brings insulting terms like these up.. its a problem in hockey.. as far as whats his name goes the best way to get known is to attack someone famous.. its pathetic and lame and I am not only going to do him the honor of booing him.. I save that for players with class like Crosby.. whats his name his not worth my breath to boo him or try to remember his name!

Posted by: kmr2r | July 27, 2010 4:44 PM | Report abuse

And how many popularity contests is his teammate Cindy winning? Wasn't he voted the winiest player in the league?

Eff him and his team.

Posted by: jwash4472 | July 27, 2010 4:46 PM | Report abuse

when Ovi actually met Talbot for the first time: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mj2V5g_Cb8c ...

Posted by: rh71 | July 27, 2010 4:50 PM | Report abuse

@ sgm3: I suppose some people could be impressed by 2 goals and 5 assists.

Your joke WAS funny.

Posted by: LeftCoastCapsFan | July 27, 2010 4:50 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: rh71 | July 27, 2010 4:50 PM

never skate with your head down

Posted by: Capt_Kirk_in_AZ | July 27, 2010 4:59 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: kmr2r | July 27, 2010 4:44 PM | Report abuse

LOL, I don't think the term used describes female anatomy. Time to brush up...

Posted by: Skullduggery65 | July 27, 2010 5:02 PM | Report abuse

I guess the only way Talbot can get to the NHL awards show is as Malkin's date.

Posted by: sgm3 | July 27, 2010 5:12 PM | Report abuse

So Maxine meets Ovie at the awards ceremony, after the Capitals lost to the Penguins in the Playoffs, in which the Penguins won the Stanley Cup... Any Ovie is supposed to be happy to meet somone from his bitter rival... Maxine Talbot needs to get over himself. He said it himself, they are one of the biggest rivalries in the league, of course they dont like each other.

Posted by: Tbarker397 | July 27, 2010 5:20 PM | Report abuse

@LeftCoast - you're a troll.

@sgm

instead of making fun of Talbot, understand what type of player he really is so you don't look like a jackhole.

Posted by: cstanton1 | July 27, 2010 5:22 PM | Report abuse

I guess the only way Talbot can get to the NHL awards show is as Malkin's date.

Posted by: sgm3 | July 27, 2010 5:12 PM | Report abuse

LOL

Posted by: Skullduggery65 | July 27, 2010 5:24 PM | Report abuse

so if you can't call anyone a vag or a d0uche does that mean you can't call them d!cks or a-holes either? its all anatomy! And any real female isn't offended by any of this. Ask sgm.

Posted by: cstanton1 | July 27, 2010 5:25 PM | Report abuse

---

this part i totally agree with. Talbot's a beyaaatch. Damn, there i go offending the beyaatches now.

Posted by: cstanton1 | July 27, 2010 5:27 PM | Report abuse

See Tarik, isn't you blog even better with video?

Posted by: oldtimehockey | July 27, 2010 5:28 PM | Report abuse

@cstanton1

I would much rather spend my time making a joke and smiling than dissecting the play of Max Talbot.

Have a wonderful day.

Posted by: sgm3 | July 27, 2010 5:30 PM | Report abuse

@ sgm3: I suppose some people could be impressed by 2 goals and 5 assists.
---------------------------------

i'd prolly be more impressed w/8 goals, 13 points in 24 playoff games on the way to a cup win. But then, when you speak outta your tailpipe most of the time its to be expected!

bgordo should watch every single shift talbot plays and learn from him. They were both similar prospects with similar builds. Where one has been a real asset to his team, one has floated along...

Posted by: cstanton1 | July 27, 2010 5:33 PM | Report abuse

-----------

sgm, this could be why you don't know much about players who don't wear Caps jerseys :)

Posted by: cstanton1 | July 27, 2010 5:34 PM | Report abuse

@cstanton1

I really do not care what you evaluation of Max Talbot is.

Have a good day. Smiles!!!

Posted by: sgm3 | July 27, 2010 5:42 PM | Report abuse

i think its my duty to teach you though. I can't have you walkin around thinkin Talbot's a bum based on his stats from last yr. That won't do. Went from a grinding defensive forward to playing a top 6 role. Fought a much better fighter in Carcillo and gave his teammates a boost in turning around that playoff game v Philly. Scored a coupla big goals in game 7 v Detroit. He scores timely goals, has always been a solid defensive forward, is one of the better grinders in the NHL, he'll do whatever it takes to win.
But you're right...he sucks. Our players are all so much better.(smiles!)

Posted by: cstanton1 | July 27, 2010 5:49 PM | Report abuse

@cstanton1

Awwwwww, that's so cute how you try to make your point. But I really don't care about where Talbot ranks in anything. So you can have him wherever you want him.

It sounds like you're hoping to take Malkin's place as Talbot's date for next year's awards show. I bet you two would have a delightful time.

Good luck!!!!

Posted by: sgm3 | July 27, 2010 6:05 PM | Report abuse

When schools go back in September it will be nice to not have to deal with sgm3's post for 8 hours a day. Hope freshman year of highschool treats you well.

Posted by: ThePat | July 27, 2010 6:09 PM | Report abuse

Eh Whatever. Honestly, who gives a sh** about how Talbot feels?

He isn't really that important. I'm sure Ovie won't lose sleep over this.

Posted by: rachel216 | July 27, 2010 6:41 PM | Report abuse

@ThePat

8th grade, please get it straight.

Posted by: sgm3 | July 27, 2010 7:19 PM | Report abuse

@sgm3

My apologies. But not surprised you'd point out 8th instead of 9th. Always about the numbers with you haha.

Posted by: ThePat | July 27, 2010 7:38 PM | Report abuse

On a serious note though lets just keep this to talking hockey. Trash talking is boring even when its all a joke.

Posted by: ThePat | July 27, 2010 7:56 PM | Report abuse

He isn't really that important. I'm sure Ovie won't lose sleep over this.

Posted by: rachel216 | July 27, 2010 6:41 PM | Report abuse

probably not judging by some of the photos we've seen... he's too busy with the girls and vodka :)

Posted by: joek443 | July 27, 2010 7:57 PM | Report abuse

@ThePat

After the 1st week I will be a 8.025th grader. I like numbers.

Posted by: sgm3 | July 27, 2010 8:19 PM | Report abuse

@joek443

Girls and vodka or thinking about Max Talbot? Hmmmmmm............

Posted by: sgm3 | July 27, 2010 8:27 PM | Report abuse

sign flashinthepan man but no room for Laing or Giroux gmgm says stay soft for early exit next spring wtf

Posted by: wendel2 | July 27, 2010 8:55 PM | Report abuse

Considering the comparables that have been discussed here lately, 1 year at $2.6 doesn't sound too bad for Flash. Flash might have gotten more in arbitration, but the Caps might have walked away and Flash could have ended up with less $ from another team. I don't get the sense that other teams have been beating down the Caps' door to trade for him. Overall, not a bad deal for the Caps, although, as Wendel notes, it doesn't address any of the team's major needs.

Posted by: zmega | July 27, 2010 9:34 PM | Report abuse

Now that he's signed for reasonable dollars at age 26 it would be a good time to see if we can trade Fleischmann who is too streaky for my liking for some help on the backline or at center.

The team keeps blah-blah-ing about Fleischmann being a potential #2 center but he doesn't look comfortable in the center role.

He is a natural winger.