Video: Ovechkin Returns, Injury Updates

It's not the best cinematography you'll ever see (though, ironically, recorded in a TV studio), but here's Tarik talking about Alex Ovechkin's return to practice, injury updates and more:

For some afternoon reading, here's an early look at the Caps-Penguins series preview. Tarik's prediction, by the way? Caps in seven.

Also Washington Post Magazine did a feature on fitness regimens of D.C. notables, and the Caps' own Mike Green is on the list.

By Lindsay Applebaum  |  May 1, 2009; 5:47 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Ovechkin Gets a Gift From LeBron
Next: For Brashear, Fighting's a Way of Life

Comments

There are no tickets available to our home games right now, but there are some nice single tickets (that is, 1 seat) available at Mellon Arena on wendesday eve, if anyone's interested. Row E and Row F right behind goal (I assume the visitors shoot 2X end).

Posted by: Sonyask | May 1, 2009 5:56 PM | Report abuse

Tarik - in the series preview, I think Boudreau's decision to go to Varlamov was "gutsy" rather than "gusty". :)

Posted by: chrisd3 | May 1, 2009 5:59 PM | Report abuse

@chrisd: I can't stop laughing. Thank you; it's fixed now!

Posted by: Lindsay_Applebaum | May 1, 2009 6:05 PM | Report abuse

What are the injury updates? Can't watch the vid at the moment.

Posted by: FancyDan | May 1, 2009 6:06 PM | Report abuse

Hahaha! That's funny, decision was gusty!!

Posted by: rachel216 | May 1, 2009 6:13 PM | Report abuse

"Tarik's prediction, by the way? Caps in seven."

As much as I love watching more hockey, I DO NOT want another seven games. That'd be great for tv and entertainment, but I can't take the intensity of another game 7, I might have a heart attack. That'd be 14 games, how would we have any more energy for the 3rd round?! But if this went to seven, just imagine how crazy game 7 would be.

Posted by: rachel216 | May 1, 2009 6:15 PM | Report abuse

Rachel, I feel you. Those last seven games fried us all.

Posted by: Lindsay_Applebaum | May 1, 2009 6:20 PM | Report abuse

it wasn't just the & games the fired everyone! It was the whole digging out of the 5-1 hole. And that "its tied 1-1 with 5 minutes left in game 7" thing. "Fried" doesn't describe it!

Posted by: RedBirdie | May 1, 2009 6:32 PM | Report abuse

Actually, I meant it fried "all" of us here, just from working so much. :)

Posted by: Lindsay_Applebaum | May 1, 2009 6:41 PM | Report abuse

I know, but believe me, it fried us out in Capslandia, too! Fried as you were, the coverage remained exceptional.

Posted by: RedBirdie | May 1, 2009 6:59 PM | Report abuse

rachel216:
i would take 28 postseason games - as long as the caps win 16 of them!!

Posted by: Capt_Kirk_in_AZ | May 1, 2009 7:02 PM | Report abuse

I predicted Caps in 7 as well. Not much of a prediction, it turns out, because everyone is saying the same thing it seems. Maybe becuase no one has any idea who is going to win but you have to pick somebody, right?

Posted by: oo7 | May 1, 2009 7:08 PM | Report abuse

Caps in 5. Varlamov wins in the backend of his first back-to-back as an NHL goalie. LETS GO CAPS

Posted by: apollak8 | May 1, 2009 7:11 PM | Report abuse

anyone watching the Detroit-Anaheim game? (Joe B is calling, in case you're a fan of his amazing zen-like ability to talk about everything but the game)

And jesus, no wonder Detroit fans have a huge chip on their shoulder. The Wings won the Cup, but have you seen the latest playoffs commercial? You'd think the Penguins won!

Posted by: RedBirdie | May 1, 2009 7:26 PM | Report abuse

Hello All!

In big time agreement about the game 7 toll. This Caps fan has grown more ash colored folicles of late then father time should allow. If we do go to 7, I'm a basket case.

I'm thinking who ever takes the series, it will bein 6 games. Just my 2 cents.

Posted by: BernieWolfeFan | May 1, 2009 7:32 PM | Report abuse

Now how is it ok to run over the goalie like that? Are you fing kidding me? wtf?

Posted by: oo7 | May 1, 2009 7:33 PM | Report abuse

I'm placing all my faith in Fedorov once again leading Caps Nation to the next level of the promised land.

Posted by: RedBirdie | May 1, 2009 7:56 PM | Report abuse

There are lower pairs available for tomorrow's game - though the Caps and Ticketmaster - but they'll run you about $400 with fees - in 113 row E. You just need a STH to get them. If someone wants a pair and will meet me a the game tomorrow with money, I'll pick them up. email gotodd(underscore)99 at yahoo.com

Posted by: saintex | May 1, 2009 8:09 PM | Report abuse

There are also clubs available for tomorrow.

Posted by: saintex | May 1, 2009 8:13 PM | Report abuse

I just cannot get over the fact that the caps are THE hot ticket in town. Even last February, we just walked up and bought great seats an hour before game time (incidentally, in part to mercilessly heckle the Avs and Jose Theodore!).

Now, I've got people calling me asking if I'll take them NEXT season.

Posted by: RedBirdie | May 1, 2009 8:14 PM | Report abuse

Anyone else get reminded of the old Kermit the Frog Sesame Street News bit when he starts this videos?

"Heyo, This is Kermit the Frog coming to you live and direct from the Kettler Capitals IcePlex"

Random, but its the first thing I thought of when I saw this video.

Posted by: lornemyoung | May 1, 2009 8:30 PM | Report abuse

There goes Holmstrom again. Why everyone doesnt do that is beyond me.

Posted by: oo7 | May 1, 2009 8:30 PM | Report abuse

Tarik, If you get sick, can I have your job?
7:30-Wakeup, shower, grab a bite of hockey for the road.
8:30-Stop for a cup at Murky en route to "the office"
8:45-Get to office, proceed directly to work.
9am-begin work by watching pro hockey practice.
9:15-Brainstorm (re: hockey) about stories.
9:30-Play 'where-exactly-is-Jeff's-upper-body-injury,' with a slew of other people that eat hockey for a paychecks.
10:00- Watch hockey(talk a little hockey).
10:30-Write hockey.
11:00-Blog hockey.
12:00-Eat hockey.
1:00-Go back to the office, and make calls about hockey, research, and videoblog hockey.
2:00-Get a bottle of hockey from the vending machine.
5:00-Go to Verizon center, interview hockey players.
6:00-Take pause: think about all the suckers.
6:01-Smile
7:00-Watch hockey.
........
The only thing that is not amazing about your job is pretending to care while Wilbon and Kornheiser try to convince each other that they love hockey as much as the other.
"The [writers] doth protest too much, methinks."
No more hockey-wilbon on section fronts; El-B...do your thing. Love the updates!

Posted by: point-by-point | May 1, 2009 8:31 PM | Report abuse

But Murky in Arlington is closing. He's opening a new place about two blocks from Verizon. Coffee for early weekend games!

Posted by: saintex | May 1, 2009 8:33 PM | Report abuse

@saintex: I heard. Too bad. The replacement is serving the same fare but, sadly, it'll probably lose a lot of that "i should be in wiliambsburg" ambiance.

Better luck in DC....this time :)

Posted by: point-by-point | May 1, 2009 8:42 PM | Report abuse

hannah8:

I think you are dead on why Theo does not fit here (he needs a defense heavy team). Our team, itself, is inconsistent and not defensive-minded, which probably made him more anxious and inconsistent.

It sounds like you have seen Varly play quite a bit and have a terrific grasp of goaltending. How do you think Varly will fare against the Pens and other offensive teams? Does he get better the tougher the challenge is or could he become overwhelmed and nervous?

Posted by: caraveli | May 1, 2009 9:08 PM | Report abuse

No long OT's yet in these playoffs. I feel one coming...

Posted by: JS26121820 | May 1, 2009 9:29 PM | Report abuse

Nevermind

Posted by: JS26121820 | May 1, 2009 9:33 PM | Report abuse

You know, I was gonna pose a question. I didn't watch much if any of the Ducks in regular season. When did Hiller take over for Giguere? How closes is the parallel between him taking over for the Ducks in his first playoffs and Varly?

However, after the five-hole he left there for Lidstrom, I'm not sure I want to compare the two

Posted by: JS26121820 | May 1, 2009 9:36 PM | Report abuse

Brown's hit on Hudler was nasty. As bad as Brash's hit on Betts, but since Hudler didn't break his orbital bone (thank god), you know Brown will get only a single game suspension, at most.

Posted by: RedBirdie | May 1, 2009 9:40 PM | Report abuse

Didn't see it but I'll take your word for it. Unfortunately, the penalty's always harsher if there's more harm. That's how they call games too. If a guy gets hurt after a check, it must be boarding or an elbow or something, right? Doesn't matter if it's a clean check, the guy got hurt.

Kinda like how if a drunk driver kills someone he goes to prison, but if he crashes into someone and nobody's hurt, he gets a slap on the wrist. Sorry, morbid analogy, but I work for a police department it's all I could think of

Posted by: JS26121820 | May 1, 2009 9:45 PM | Report abuse

Obviously Tarik would predict Caps in 7. He knows deep down the Penguins will win, but if he said that you guys would've been all over him.

Posted by: SC87 | May 1, 2009 9:46 PM | Report abuse

JS26121820,
Hiller played 46 regular-season games, so he's gotten a ton of starts compared to Varly. Giguere's dad passed away before the season started and he never really got his game back to the way it had been, so Hiller has been their guy pretty much all season. He's not really a comparison to Varly except for their status in the league.

Posted by: jmu_capsgirl | May 1, 2009 9:53 PM | Report abuse

That's too bad about Giguere, he seems like a good dude. I remember a few seasons back, Olie had a really tough year because of struggles with his son's autism. I felt so bad for him and his family. He had some more good play in him after that, though, and I bet Giguere still has some more good times ahead.

Posted by: JS26121820 | May 1, 2009 9:57 PM | Report abuse

Right Sidney Crosby 87, nice name... lol, pretty corny actually. Seems like you are the one that's mad that Tarik picked Caps in 7. I wouldn't be mad at all if Tarik picked the Pens in whatever...

Posted by: rachel216 | May 1, 2009 10:02 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: RedBirdie | May 1, 2009 9:40 PM

You know, I was just thinking that. I doubt he will get 5 games...but I would think the league may give him more than one game, if they intend to stick by Brash's suspension as a warning to others.....hmmmm....then again it is the NHL.

I am just glad no one was seriously hurt there (which is why is will be one game in the end...).

Anyway, here's to a clean fought win tomorrow for the Caps!

GO CAPS!

Posted by: The_Stanley_Caps | May 1, 2009 10:03 PM | Report abuse

Caps in 5.

Posted by: mikebrady1 | May 1, 2009 10:09 PM | Report abuse

Vs. showing Babcock's post-game. He always looks so pissed off. He's got the death glare down pat. And quite possibly the only person with a thick western Canadian accent than Greenie.

Posted by: RedBirdie | May 1, 2009 10:15 PM | Report abuse

Just saw the hit again. Hudler freaked out when he saw all the blood pouring out of his forehead and onto the ice. Nasty.

Posted by: RedBirdie | May 1, 2009 10:17 PM | Report abuse

ok, last post. Someone asked Babcock about the Washington-Pittsburgh series. (puts on thick accent) "oh, yah, I think it great for hockey, yah. And those young guys you like to talk about so much, they're good, yah."

Posted by: RedBirdie | May 1, 2009 10:19 PM | Report abuse

yah, der hey dat Sidney better dan all doze big, bad Russians der hey

Posted by: JS26121820 | May 1, 2009 10:23 PM | Report abuse

Man, Anaheim's coach is just a, well, words that can't be printed here. Now I know where the unrepentant thug attitude that team has comes from--the top.

Posted by: RedBirdie | May 1, 2009 10:27 PM | Report abuse

i'm lost. I'm not sure why the Brown on Hudler hit was wrong. Why does Hudler get to turn away from a hit that is obviously coming? I like what Carlyle said, "Hudler was admiring his pass." Exactly.

And Carlyle even said what I said aearlier inthe night (see above): how come it s ok that Franzen ran over the goalie? Since when is that ok?

I like Carlyle and things would have been a lot different if McPhee had given Carlyle the job instead of Hanlon, which he should have done to begin with. Not saying I wish he had, because BB is our guy, but Carlyle should have been coach over Hanlon.

Posted by: oo7 | May 1, 2009 10:42 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: oo7 | May 1, 2009 10:43 PM | Report abuse

crickets chirping

Posted by: oo7 | May 1, 2009 10:58 PM | Report abuse

On the Brown/Hudler hit - what are the chances that Brown gets 5 games? I've watched it a few times now and I really don't see how this hit differs from the Brashear hit. I'll hold my judgment until Campbell makes his decision - but I'm going to be livid if there isn't uniformity here.

Posted by: patrone | May 1, 2009 11:53 PM | Report abuse

Here's a story about a team.

They had one young star who was the face of the franchise who was very durable, wore #8, and was born under the sign of Virgo.

They had another star who was slightly older. Our young star got along very well with him. However, he hated talking to the press and did not have as much affection from the fans and other folks as a result. He was born under the sign of Pisces.

The team was down at the end of the season and nearly pulled off an impossible comeback against a major rival but fell short at the very end. Things were better next season.

Who is this team and who are the players? Yes, the team sounds like the Caps and the stars in question sound an awful lot like Alex Ovechkin and Alex Semin. But I'm actually not talking about the Caps. I'm talking about the Orioles of the early 80's. Their young star was Cal Ripken. Their other star was Eddie Murray. (Okay, they were about 3-4 years apart in age while Semin and Ovi are only a year and a half apart in age.)

In 1982, the team was 3 games behind in the regular season and they had a four game series against the 1st place team. They won the first 3 games but lost the last game at the end of the season and thus lost their division. Their opponent went on to lose the World Series. Things were better the next year. The Orioles won the World Series in 1983.

So our Caps are showing parallels to the Orioles of the 1980's. Ovi and Semin are, in many ways, like Ripken and Murray. One difference. The O's had more veterans back then and the current Caps are a younger bunch as a whole. So, I think the Caps can hold things together in the long run better than the O's could.

Posted by: CapsFan75 | May 2, 2009 12:02 AM | Report abuse

Well, I'll be at the game tomorrow. Hope they dump the Pens. Don't like that team at all.

Posted by: CapsFan75 | May 2, 2009 12:05 AM | Report abuse

oo7:
chirp

I predict that
* flash with be the bradley of this series
* theo will need to come in for at least a portion of a period
* semin will again have the most goals for the caps in this series
* varly will get one shutout
* PP will click around 25%
* there will be no games where three differnt D men score in the same game - but at least two games where two D men will score
* many posters here will wonder what is wrong with Ovi
* Ovi will get a hat trick
* backstrom will score an Ovi like highlight goal

Posted by: Capt_Kirk_in_AZ | May 2, 2009 12:11 AM | Report abuse

Caps fans,

Until you don’t have to block out of town fans from buying tickets and filling up half of your building - you are a joke and a bunch of band wagon jumpers. All of you know we own that place. Everyone of you has had to sit next to a Penguin, Flyer and Ranger fan. I’ve been there and you are all johnny come lately’s!!!

Pens will light up the 3rd string Russian goalie!! Pens in 6.

Posted by: CodePoetry | May 2, 2009 12:12 AM | Report abuse

That's how you argue:

Ducks coach Randy Carlyle said the hit wasn't dirty. "He didn't hit him with his elbow. He hit him with his shoulder. Hudler was admiring his pass."

Wasn't Blair Betts admiring his pass when Brashear hit him with the shoulder?

Posted by: CodePoetry | May 2, 2009 12:16 AM | Report abuse

ah, Pens fans. The only NHL fan base that whines ad much as their captain. must hurt to read that the majority of players in the league vote that 1) Ovechkin is the best and 2) Crosby cries more than anyone. If it weren't for Malkin, the birds would we be toast.

Posted by: oo7 | May 2, 2009 12:22 AM | Report abuse

CodePoetry:
welcome. will we only be blessed with your presence when the caps lose a game or will you have the nads to show up when the caps win?

Posted by: Capt_Kirk_in_AZ | May 2, 2009 12:29 AM | Report abuse

yes, code. And Franzen ran over the goalie, which should have been a penalty. With refs like these, why even play the game? they're ruining the sport. Delay of game penalty with the puck over the glass is a joke of a tool to drive up scoring. No consistency.

Posted by: oo7 | May 2, 2009 12:30 AM | Report abuse

@Capt_Kirk_in_AZ

Love your predictions. Now, hopefully, the Caps can win this series and exorcise a few demons related to the Pens. Geez, I hate that team!

Posted by: CapsFan75 | May 2, 2009 12:39 AM | Report abuse

CapsFan75:
the only thing worse than waiting for the drop of the puck - is enduring the drivel of trolls.
one of the rags fans from last week was really trying to hold some decent hockey conversations - i also predict that this will not be possible with pen trolls

Posted by: Capt_Kirk_in_AZ | May 2, 2009 12:46 AM | Report abuse

I second the pens troll predictions.
Dunno about flash, though. Clark is my guess.
I think greens got a problem somewhere on his right arm.

Posted by: oo7 | May 2, 2009 12:52 AM | Report abuse

codepoetry,

Maybe 10 Ranger fans at Game 7. Maybe 20 at Game 5.

Are these the same fans that could only fill Mellon Arena with 10,000 fans when Penguins won 20 games.

Posted by: lightshow | May 2, 2009 12:53 AM | Report abuse

i also predict that CodePoetry (and other pen trolls) will be lurking waiting to strike (both tomorrow and monday) but will have nothing to 'crush' us bandwagoners with. it will not be until next wed that the pens get their first lead of a game in the series.

Posted by: Capt_Kirk_in_AZ | May 2, 2009 1:03 AM | Report abuse

um, I think code poetry was posting what some pens fan said at that link. unless I'm missing something, he's a caps fan. it's not his first time here. that's the way that I read it at least.

Posted by: oo7 | May 2, 2009 1:32 AM | Report abuse

oo7:
i didn't know - i owe him/her an apology then

CodePoetry:
sorry - i retract my reference to you as a pen troll - please feel free to insert any pen troll that applies.
i still stand by my predictions - especially the one about the trolls

Posted by: Capt_Kirk_in_AZ | May 2, 2009 1:40 AM | Report abuse

Tarik/Katie/Lindsay,
wtf - no new news? maybe a video of a cindy teardrop that fell on some poor young pens fan, thereby saving his/her life by converting them to a caps fan? anything? something has had to have changed since 6p.

Posted by: Capt_Kirk_in_AZ | May 2, 2009 2:38 AM | Report abuse

crickets chirping

Posted by: oo7 | May 1, 2009 10:58 PM

ditto

Posted by: Capt_Kirk_in_AZ | May 2, 2009 2:40 AM | Report abuse

7 hours, 13 minutes till face-off. Anybody up yet tailgating?

Posted by: JS26121820 | May 2, 2009 5:48 AM | Report abuse

1PM games are dumb. Why couldn't this be a 3PM or a 5PM? Living up in the Baltimore area I feel like I should be on the road to the game already. I'm whining too much though. Go Caps!

Posted by: lornemyoung | May 2, 2009 6:33 AM | Report abuse

Would you rather be golfing?

Posted by: JS26121820 | May 2, 2009 6:35 AM | Report abuse

Well, I'm leaving the blog till after the game. I won't be there so everyone who will be, give an extra yell for me! GO CAPS!!!!

Posted by: JS26121820 | May 2, 2009 7:04 AM | Report abuse

LET'S GO CAPITALSSSSSSSSS!! I love beating the Pens more than any other team.

Posted by: rachel216 | May 2, 2009 7:26 AM | Report abuse