Video: Ovechkin's Zamboni Ride (Updated)

As part of a media blitz for NHL 2K10, Alex Ovechkin, the video game's coverboy, navigated 6th Avenue in Manhattan on a Zamboni. Our own Dan Steinberg was there with camera in hand (and tweeting device in the other hand) to capture the madness. Video is below, and more on the day's events can be found here.

Update: Here's more from the Bog on Ovie's indifference toward New York and amusing dismissal of Boomer Esiason.

By Lindsay Applebaum  |  September 10, 2009; 12:58 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Varly's New Mask (Updated)
Next: Ovechkin: 'It's Going to Be Sick'

Comments

My wife has him nailed, he is the cave man from the Geico Commercials!! Can't wait for the season!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: hbcapsfan | September 10, 2009 1:12 PM | Report abuse

From the Hockey News:

Top 10 training camp battles.

1. Jose Theodore vs. Semyon Varlamov, Washington
Whoever wins this battle of the netminders will have a great team to play behind and should approach 40 wins. As in Anaheim, you have to give the more expensive Theodore the upper hand to begin, but Varlamov showed talent and mettle in the playoffs. Theodore also has traditionally not done well under pressure and a summer of personal tragedy will surely add another distraction. The safe money is on Theodore to begin the year as the starter and for Varlamov to finish it. But we’d put everything on Varlamov.

Posted by: Greg S. | September 10, 2009 1:22 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: hbcapsfan | September 10, 2009 1:12 PM |

jaws from the 007 movies.

Posted by: richmondphil | September 10, 2009 1:28 PM | Report abuse

All you season ticket holders, it will be Christmas in September. Season tickets were shipped out Tuesday and could/should arrive today!!!

Posted by: fanohock1 | September 10, 2009 1:39 PM | Report abuse

My wife just called and Santa, I mean the UPS guy stopped by, my tickets have arrived, Merry Christmas!!!

Posted by: fanohock1 | September 10, 2009 2:10 PM | Report abuse

fanohock1:
i’m jealous of you!
not only no season tickets for me - but i don't think i'll be visiting back home this winter to even see a game in person (never been to VC)
i stand to lose the 7(or 8) versus games as a directv customer having the center ice and sunday ticket packages (no cable or dish network for me)
p.s. now that i put it that way - i guess i hate you too :)

Posted by: Capt_Kirk_in_AZ | September 10, 2009 5:08 PM | Report abuse

fanhock- just make sure that Santa didn't stay tooooooooo long!

Posted by: pokerfaceI208 | September 10, 2009 6:02 PM | Report abuse

As you guys know I'm out in Colorado but just hearing fanhock etc getting their tickets brings back such great memories. Wow that was always such a great day in my life. I'm certainly jealous. I've always been able to come home for a couple weeks during xmas and new years and been able to get my whole family (10 or so) tix for all home games during this period. That is becoming more and more difficult. I'm kinda happy about that, and really kinda not!

Posted by: pokerfaceI208 | September 10, 2009 6:05 PM | Report abuse

yay tickets! huzzah

Posted by: MNMNT | September 10, 2009 8:26 PM | Report abuse

What's the goalie rotation for tomorrow's game vs. the Flyers?? Varly, Neuvy, Holtby?

Posted by: rachel216 | September 10, 2009 8:31 PM | Report abuse

@Rachel:
Holtby backed up by Stretch. Seriously.

Posted by: tess2201 | September 10, 2009 9:11 PM | Report abuse

@rachel

As Tess2201 says, there's nothing to be gained for either Varly or Neuvrith to go against the Flyers' rookies.

Posted by: CapsFan75 | September 10, 2009 9:38 PM | Report abuse

My season tickets came today! There are pictures of the players on most of them. Several with Ovi and Backstrom, a couple with Sema, at least two with Varly. one with Flash, etc. (I haven't done a full tally of how many appearances for each player.)

Posted by: CapsFan75 | September 10, 2009 9:40 PM | Report abuse

@Capt_Kirk_in_AZ

Have you ever caught the Caps when they played in Pheonix?

When I think of your posting name, I think of the fact that Captain James T. Kirk had ancestors in Arizona. Reference the Star Trek episode "Spectre of the Gun". Yes folks, I'm a Trekkie in addition to a hockey fan and baseball fan (and former swim team parent).

Posted by: CapsFan75 | September 10, 2009 9:44 PM | Report abuse

Santa (actually a UPS delivery person probably not named Santa) brought me my season tickets today. Yessssssssss.....! :D

Posted by: GregAnnapolis | September 10, 2009 10:12 PM | Report abuse

OK fine, I'll be the one to bring it up. See Crosby at the White House with Obama makes me want to puke. Can't stand either of them. Of course with Obama knowing so much about hockey, kinda a slap in the face that he meats the Penguins and shakes his hand before he ever even meets OV (to my knowledge anyway). Have I told you yet that I flat can't stand the Penguins?

Posted by: pokerfaceI208 | September 10, 2009 10:21 PM | Report abuse

Pokerface, it wasn't too bad. Obama came in to the room, gave a quick 8 minute congrats speech, took a picture and left. He even got a dig in on Crosby after he handed him a Pens jersey:
"Sidney must be pretty fast because there's some big hockey players here, and he's not one of them" LOL

Posted by: bagace | September 10, 2009 10:47 PM | Report abuse

All I can say is it better be a helluva lot more painful for the Pens when they are back in town in February!

Posted by: yosemite_sam | September 10, 2009 11:24 PM | Report abuse

bagace- that is phenominal! That makes me feel a little better!

Posted by: pokerfaceI208 | September 10, 2009 11:48 PM | Report abuse

Zing! Love the not to subtle jab by the President at Cindy.

THE PRESIDENT:

Can I just make one more point? Sidney must be really fast because there are some big hockey players -- and he's not one of them. (Laughter.) But you know he's got some speed and some skill.

Posted by: lornemyoung | September 11, 2009 7:48 AM | Report abuse

Yea we got our ST late last night. This morning I couldn't read the piece on the Pens at the White House. Need more coffee first. We really need to get the President to a Caps game.

Posted by: newbiecapsfan07 | September 11, 2009 8:10 AM | Report abuse

The Washington Times highlighted Neuvy today in a nice piece--Neuvirth is Seeking to get Future Settled." I'm very excited by the depth of our goalie prospects.

Posted by: newbiecapsfan07 | September 11, 2009 8:28 AM | Report abuse

UPS arrived for me too. The tickets look beautiful. Is it October yet?

Posted by: Sonyask | September 11, 2009 8:42 AM | Report abuse

Now the Theo Fleury is being reinstated I hope the Caps are part of the list of clubs that would like him. If he was to make the squad it would most likely be for the league minimum and since we will move someone like ShaMo anyway, it would leave enough space under the Cap to get him in. He was performing better than a 4th liner when he was abusing alchohol and drugs. Even though he is 41, IMO he would be a CHEAP experienced guy that can contribute in a multitude of ways. He is hungry as hell, and a Stanley Cup Champion.

Posted by: fanohock1 | September 11, 2009 9:39 AM | Report abuse

any season tix holders

did anything come in the box besides the tix and a letter --- no ticket holders this year and the letter said there was a handbook -- which wasn't in my box

Posted by: capsgary | September 11, 2009 10:22 AM | Report abuse

I got a handbook too. No ticket holders so I got ours out from last year--bit beaten up. My son chews his during tense moments.

Posted by: newbiecapsfan07 | September 11, 2009 10:29 AM | Report abuse

@capsgary
Yeah, I got the handbook, it's basically the glossary style one with some coupons.

Posted by: koalatek | September 11, 2009 10:30 AM | Report abuse

capsgary: I did get the handbook and letter, but not new ticket holders. No big deal though, I am just glad to have 4 tickets to every game. Only 11 days and a wake-up until the 1st preseason game @ Verizon.

Posted by: fanohock1 | September 11, 2009 10:41 AM | Report abuse

@Capt_Kirk_in_AZ
Have you ever caught the Caps when they played in Pheonix?
Posted by: CapsFan75 | September 10, 2009 9:44 PM

i've been out here since 97 and yes i've been to a few (mostly because there have only been a few) - but last year (oct 23) i couldn't get out of a commitment i had. i didn't make it to the game where ovi scored 'the goal' either. so i've never seen ovi live. but i can always enjoy the oct -> mar weather here. the prospect of the 'yotes' being here long enough for the caps next visit isn't looking very good either. *sigh*

Posted by: Capt_Kirk_in_AZ | September 11, 2009 10:50 AM | Report abuse