Video: Previewing the Draft

On today's episode of Washington Post Live, Tarik offered an inside look at which players the Captials are looking at for Friday's draft. One possibility that's been thrown around a bit: Ray Ferraro's son, Landon.

Check out the video below.

By Lindsay Applebaum  |  June 23, 2009; 7:48 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Boudreau to Play in Tiger's Pro-Am
Next: Morning Reading List: No Winter Classic for Caps?

Comments

It almost sounds like he said Dion.

Posted by: mattbuckley80 | June 23, 2009 9:06 PM | Report abuse

Drafting Chicken Parm's son Chicken Marsala, we shall see.

And not to be to critical, but Tarik unbutton the jacket...that button looked like it was wanting to pop! :)

Posted by: freakinandpeakin | June 23, 2009 9:38 PM | Report abuse

I agree with Tarik that the Islanders should take Hedman if they think he and Tavares are pretty equal.

The last time the Islanders picked a defenseman number one, it turned out great for them. Denis Potvin anchored their defense for 15 years winning 4 stanley cups before being inducted to the hall of fame.

Posted by: joek443 | June 23, 2009 9:58 PM | Report abuse

I think the Islanders are going to pick Tavares. The Caps and Penguins are rejunvinated by their scoring sensatoins and the Islanders need that element. Having said that, its almost guaranteed that Wang and Snow screw it up.

I think the Caps are going to go with a North American in the first round. I don't know who, but he's going to be Canadian.

Posted by: oo7 | June 23, 2009 10:47 PM | Report abuse

That poor button...

Posted by: oo7 | June 23, 2009 10:56 PM | Report abuse

so if hedman is a future chris pronger. what would it take for the caps to get the second pick. 2 first round picks jeff schultz, chris borque. do you think that is enough. just curious

Posted by: samb99 | June 23, 2009 11:47 PM | Report abuse

lol, poor Tarik has no clue at all. He said that Landon Ferraro scored 70 goals in the WHL this year for Red Deer. Ummm No. Try 37 goals and 18 assists. Far cry from SEVENTY FREAKING GOALS TARIK! Good god I know he's our best reporter in town and he's always quick with information but in reality he's not a hockey guy at all.

Posted by: cstanton1 | June 24, 2009 12:36 AM | Report abuse

Oliver Ekman Larsson from Leksands IF Sweden would be great pick for Caps! I have seen him 30 matches this year and he is a excellent blueliner. Finished first in Swedish second league in plus/minus. The next Lidstrom, better then a future Pronger=)!

Posted by: OEL3 | June 24, 2009 6:40 AM | Report abuse

Tarik,

I know this would be hard pressed for the Capitals. But do you see the Caps giving GM Murray a call about Danny Heatley? I know he has a huge contract but if you lose the Kozlov, Nylander, Theodore contracts I think you can squeeze him in? I know you will probably have to throw some picks and prospects in the package but dont you think Danny Heatley (constant 40 goal scorer) still has many productive years ahead of him? So do you see this at all?

Posted by: whsqb10 | June 24, 2009 8:12 AM | Report abuse

@whsqb10: I know I'm not Tarik, and you asked Tarik, but I'm going to answer anyway, because it's a free country and I can do that. :)

Factor Kozlov out of the picture, because his cap hit is replaced by Brian Pothier's, who is now healthy and should be in the lineup for a full year. (They have the same cap hit at 2.5.) Kozlov leaving does not give us any extra cap room at all, it only makes room for Potsy.

Not so fast on Theodore. Both Varlamov and Johnson have problems with injuries and fatigue if they play too many games. In addition, Varlamov will be a rookie on the big club if he makes it there in training camp. (There's no reason to think he won't, just sayin'.) Can Johnson play enough games and stay healthy enough to keep Varlamov sharp and fresh for the playoffs? I wouldn't bet my bottom dollar on it. I like Johnny, don't get me wrong, I'm just not convinced that Varlamov / Johnson is a wise netminding tandem for a team with its eyes on the Cup.

What about Varlamov / Neuvirth? You want two rookies sharing goal in that situation? I don't. Plus, I think Neuvirth would benefit from one more year in Hershey just as insurance - remember he froze in that one game up with the big club. Don't rush him - he's got a long and solid NHL career in front of him, I think. He's only 21 and his style develops more slowly than Varlamov's.

Where would Theodore go? Who would take him at 4.5? Got any likely trade partners?

Now. Nylander. I hate to say it, but moving him is a fantasy. He's a family man with six kids - him wanting that NMC is no accident. You cannot waive, trade, or do anything with him without his consent, and that's exactly what he wants. I suspect he signed that contract intending to spend the rest of his career in Washington, and has settled down accordingly. Spending time in the press box may be a pain in the tail, but a lot of men will do all kinds of things for their kids, and that may be his sacrifice. Plus, if Fedorov does not re-sign, he might just be the only center we've got capable of manning the second line, however slowly / circlishly.

Do we really want Dany Heatley's long contract, at the expense of allowing the Hershey kids to graduate? Plus, he comes with a fair amount of baggage - he's asked for trades twice already. The Caps look for guys with top-notch character, and I don't think Heatley fits that bill. Plus, Heatley isn't known for his willingness to battle it out in the corners. We don't need scoring. We need grit and size, and defensive responsibbility.

So, a huge contract with locker room baggage, that doesn't provide what the Caps need, at the expense of a stable goaltending tandem and club development. Wow. Sounds like quite a package. Remember that a big name isn't always better - look for what really fits the Caps' needs and what makes sense.

Posted by: kittypawz | June 24, 2009 8:49 AM | Report abuse

Imagine that! There's an ownership quibble in Tampa! Who woulda thunk?

Posted by: Greg S. | June 24, 2009 9:30 AM | Report abuse

@Kittypawz

I agree with what you wrote on Heatley. In the Ottawa Citizen earlier this month GM George McPhee weighed in on the Heatley matter, saying he doesn't have much admiration for Heatley.

"It's something a player shouldn't be doing," McPhee said of Heatley. "It's too bad he's done this to the club. He would have been better off to just leave. It's almost harder to make this trade than it is to just let him go and sign someplace else."

Posted by: MReilly9 | June 24, 2009 9:47 AM | Report abuse

Yeah you guys are right. I never knew what McPhee thought of the situation. He does have a lot of baggage but he his a heck of a hockey player if you can control him.

Posted by: whsqb10 | June 24, 2009 10:23 AM | Report abuse

I'll have to try this again. I had an EBKS.

Draft picks.

If he's available, I like what I'm reading about Kyle Palmieri. I could be biased in that I went to school 100 yrs ago with his dad (or uncle). Seems to play hard and is a leader in the locker room.

Another is Calvin De Haan. He's a D-man with a boatload of points (assists) which means he's not afraid to shoot, and that the pucks get to the net. Also Central Scouting sez, "His skating is excellent, mobility, agility and speed. His biggest asset is his hockey sense. He makes very few mistakes."

Posted by: Greg S. | June 24, 2009 11:08 AM | Report abuse

Heatly as a left winger is *not* a fit for this team. Unless you're trading Semin to get him. It also doesn't really address any of the glaring needs we have.

Posted by: snakegriffin | June 24, 2009 11:09 AM | Report abuse

70 goals? Not even close, and with plenty of time to recover from this guff, no correction given. Is this guy the best Washington has to offer as a so-called reporter of hockey? I think not.

Posted by: opita1 | June 24, 2009 2:15 PM | Report abuse

I would not have any problem at all with the Caps going with Varly and Neuvy as their top two goalies starting next season.

Hopefully we'll have our version of the Grant Fuhr/Andy Moog tandom.

Posted by: joek443 | June 24, 2009 9:17 PM | Report abuse