Video Q&A: Caps in the Big Apple

We tried something a little bit different today: Instead of a regular old video update, Tarik took reader questions and answered a few of them from Madison Square Garden. Check out the video below, and if your question wasn't answered, it may have come up in today's standard Q&A.

Also, don't forget to tune in for tonight's live game chat with Katie Carrera. It'll start around 7 p.m. and go through until the end of Game 3.

(If you can't view the player, watch the video here.)

By Lindsay Applebaum  |  April 20, 2009; 3:52 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Boudreau: 'We Just Have to Do More'
Next: Varlamov Comes Out First

Comments

LET'S GO CAPS!! All we need is a win to get back in this thing!! This CAN be done. Let's make this 2-1!!

Posted by: rachel216 | April 20, 2009 4:00 PM | Report abuse

I prefer reading comments than viewing

Posted by: sroessle | April 20, 2009 4:02 PM | Report abuse

That was a great point by whoever asked the q-n... the one about us shooting too fast for other players to get to the net to either screen Henrik or get rebounds. I haven't thought about it, but it is so true. The player who's entering the zone needs to curl and wait for his teammates instead of blasting away at Lundy from 40 feet out which seems to be quiet a pointless exercise.

Posted by: ranndino | April 20, 2009 4:15 PM | Report abuse

ESPN:

Who's in goal?
For what it's worth, Simeon Varlamov was the first Caps goalie off the ice this morning, which traditionally suggests he's getting the start tonight. But that's a tradition that's not always followed these days.

Boudreau would not confirm his starting goalie or other lineup changes other than to confirm he might tweak his forward lines.

"I'm not going to tell you guys the lineup in the playoffs. Just not going to do it," said the Caps coach.

But on Varlamov, he said: "I thought he played very well, very good account of himself."

Posted by: lylewimbledon | April 20, 2009 4:22 PM | Report abuse

drive down the center, not the wings on every play down the ice. if no shot, circle behind the net and look for secondary rush and traffic in front. this ain't rocket science.

Posted by: doughless | April 20, 2009 4:23 PM | Report abuse

I could care less who is in net. If we dont score..it wont matter.

Posted by: SA-Town | April 20, 2009 4:33 PM | Report abuse

how about ovie fakes the between the legs shot and moves around the collapsing dman. long shots off the boards next to the goal and a chase for the puck. go to the net w/ the puck. it sounds so simple and it is. takes toughness and skill which is why i am typing it and not doing it.

Posted by: dcsportsfan1 | April 20, 2009 4:33 PM | Report abuse

" The player who's entering the zone needs to curl and wait for his teammates instead of blasting away "

This sounds like a job for...

Nylander!

No one curls and waits (and waits and waits and curls and waits) better!

Posted by: kingbonehead | April 20, 2009 4:36 PM | Report abuse

where is everyone watching the game tonight? sorry if this was discussed in a previous thread.

Posted by: sirbobalew | April 20, 2009 4:40 PM | Report abuse

Boudreau would be insane to put Theo in goal after Varly's performance, that was clearly better. Why would he put in a goalie that does not inspire confidence over someone people see as "the future?" Unless he has some strange psychological strategy in mind that no one can fathom.

Posted by: caraveli | April 20, 2009 4:42 PM | Report abuse

I will be watching from my couch, with fingers shaking with nervousness. I'm really scared, I'm not ready for this season to end. :( We gotta get a win, doesn't matter how we get it, we just have to make it 2-1 and then we'll worry about Wednesday.

Posted by: rachel216 | April 20, 2009 4:44 PM | Report abuse

i dont think there is an official viewing party anywhere

Posted by: doughless | April 20, 2009 4:45 PM | Report abuse

Caraveli: If Theo plays, then I'm seriously worried. I already feel more confident with Varly in there than Theo. It wouldn't make any sense if BB went back to Theo... or does it?

Posted by: rachel216 | April 20, 2009 4:46 PM | Report abuse

same boat as rachel watching it with my friends at my house, can't watch out in public there is too much bitterness

Posted by: sroessle | April 20, 2009 4:46 PM | Report abuse

Come on Boys - grow a pair tonight!

Posted by: lylewimbledon | April 20, 2009 4:50 PM | Report abuse

I think we need a montage. Even Rocky had a Montage. The Caps need a montage. Show a lot of things, happening at once, remind everyone of what's going on. With every shot, show a little improvement, to show it all would take to long, the Caps need a montage.

Posted by: ejohnsto | April 20, 2009 4:52 PM | Report abuse

If the Rangers get an early goal, I hope the Caps don't give up. C'mon Caps put it together tonight: defense, scoring, goaltending!! I think I've got to have a cold one to settle my nerves... Go Caps!

Posted by: kcbrichmond | April 20, 2009 4:59 PM | Report abuse

OV, SEMIN, FEDS, BACKS, AND GREEN NEED TO STEP UP TO ANOTHER LEVEL,(GREEN HAS HAS TO MANY GIVEAWAYS ON THE PP, AND FEDS HAS BEEN QUITE- HE NEEDS MORE ICE TIME)... AND THEY WILL TONIGHT... LETS GO CAPS!!!

Posted by: vitya_1986 | April 20, 2009 5:00 PM | Report abuse

There is actually an official viewing party at ESPNzone in Baltimore. At least thats what the jumbotron said on Saturday.

Posted by: SombreroGuy | April 20, 2009 5:03 PM | Report abuse

Did you shoot this video in Guantanamo, Tarik? I kid. Thanks for the great video updates.

Posted by: CDon | April 20, 2009 5:07 PM | Report abuse

seriously, someone get tarik a tripod. these up the nose videos are making me dizzy.

5-2 caps tonight.

Posted by: dcsportsfan1 | April 20, 2009 5:09 PM | Report abuse

Very important game tonight. I have a bet with my assistant soccer coach with four beers in the balance. Nothing tastes as sweet as beer that someone else is paying for.

The Caps are a special team with some special players. They will defeat the Rangers in this series, leading to continued bad blood with Torts.

Posted by: crooks_c | April 20, 2009 5:11 PM | Report abuse

5-2 sounds sweettttttttt :)

Posted by: rachel216 | April 20, 2009 5:11 PM | Report abuse

any1 no where i could ind the game streaming online

Posted by: vitya_1986 | April 20, 2009 5:21 PM | Report abuse

2 points i have to make (can't remember if they were in the video or text chat):

1) Were gonna pay Theo 4.5 mil next year whether he's on the bench or starting. I'd rather have the better goalie starting and that's varly.

2) I keep hearing about how these practices are light and that the players don't necessarily look nervous. I understand the pace of the playoffs is exhausting but i don't think BB should have given them the day off when we had 2 days between games. Maybe we need to pick up the intensity in practice a little and hope it translates to the game. A little nervousness wouldn't hurt either, we did just lose 2 games at home to a Rangers team that can't score a goal.

Still confident we can bounce back. LETS GO CAPS!!!

Posted by: JSeagull1 | April 20, 2009 5:25 PM | Report abuse

@vitya,

go to hockeywebcasts.com

Posted by: Moose33 | April 20, 2009 5:25 PM | Report abuse

Ovie scores 2 and the Caps win 3-1 on the way to a 2-2 series tie for Game 5. In the interest of being a semi-decent father, I've got the DVR set and I'll start the game 2 hours late at 8:00 (I'm on Central time). Meantime I go disconnect from the world and play with the kiddies. I can't wait until they're old enough to share the game with. My dad took me to my first game at age 7, a 4-0 shutout of the purple-clad Kings in 1984. Been hooked ever since. So, thanks Dad for the years of misery and trying to give me an early heart attack :) GO CAPS!!

Posted by: JS26121820 | April 20, 2009 5:29 PM | Report abuse

rachel: Like you I feel 100% more confident with Varly or Neuvy in net than I do with Theo. So would most everybody. Sad for Theo but true.

I was really disheartened to hear both Wise and Tarik today having doubts about the team's competitiveness as a playoff team. But, fortunately, Boudreau's comments were calm and inspiring and made me feel much better. He sees this as just another situation that calls for adjustment--something the Caps are masters of.

"When you've been successful all year long and you haven't been put in a position ...," he added. "Now you're facing adversity for the first time, they're probably a little surprised. But pros and winners will adjust to that. They will make the necessary adjustments. If we feel sorry for ourselves, then we're in trouble."

That's the attitude of someone who has confidence in his team and knows how to win.

I think I will be too nervous to start watching the game until we score first, which should be soon.

Posted by: caraveli | April 20, 2009 5:33 PM | Report abuse

while 5-2 does sound pretty sweet, i have seen no indication we can score 5 goals on the Rangers. At this point I'll take a 2-1 win.

Posted by: Moose33 | April 20, 2009 5:34 PM | Report abuse

I'd take a 1-0 win on a goal deflected in off a Ranger. All we need is a win, doesn't matter how we get it, whether ugly or pretty. We just need to turn the tide our way.

Posted by: rachel216 | April 20, 2009 5:44 PM | Report abuse

moose, i agree they cant score 5 playing the way they have. but i expect (hope) they will change their approach. i think if they go up by 2 then the rags will have to abandon their defensive posture which could open up scoring chances. however, first they have to go up by 2...

Posted by: dcsportsfan1 | April 20, 2009 5:52 PM | Report abuse

I need to know who the starting goalie is... please let it be Varly.

Posted by: rachel216 | April 20, 2009 5:57 PM | Report abuse

The Keys to the Game are:

Generate Traffic- Traffic traffic traffic. 40 footers won't cut it. This is the DC metro area; if there's one thing Washingotn should know, its traffic. Lundquist can't stop what he can't see. To beat sound positional play, you need deflections and crease presence. If you don't go to high traffic areas, you're wasting your time.

Speed Kills: Take the other playoff series teams play and translate that here. Up tempo, violent, crash and bang hockey. Make the Rangers pay a physical price. If they're coasting at any point, they're playing regular season hockey.

Special Teams: Speed and forechecking draw penalties. On the PP, someone has to be set up in the crease. You can't crosscheck, hold and move anyone anymore so the crease is up for grabs.
On the PK, play aggressively. Hunt down the puck, make them move it around. The Caps were good at this last game. Keep at it.

Posted by: oo7 | April 20, 2009 6:00 PM | Report abuse

Ok here is my prediction...Caps win tonight and the series! Why and how? Because GMGM is lacing up the skates and putting on the sweater...he'll show the boys how to play with an edge and battle in front of the net. GMGM is on bad mother! Believe it people McPhee always played with more heart than skill and he even won the Hobey Baker award while he was at Bowling Green! Viva Mcphee!

Posted by: ReedRothchild | April 20, 2009 6:02 PM | Report abuse

Everyone is predicting a win, I sure hope everyone is correct, but I'm getting nervous. Come on Caps.

Posted by: rachel216 | April 20, 2009 6:08 PM | Report abuse

Sweet TEB likes my username.
I'm a girl by the way, but its all cool.

Posted by: Ovechwin | April 20, 2009 6:12 PM | Report abuse

I don't think I can take a close or overtime game. Please Caps blow this thing open!!! If you care about the health of your fans, PLEASE score goals!!

Posted by: kcbrichmond | April 20, 2009 6:12 PM | Report abuse

Go Caps. I think they'll come out all fired up. Like the rest of you all, I'm nervous about tonight also.

Won't be watching the game since I'll be busy celebrating my daughter's 18th birthday and she's not a hockey fan at all. Thinks the game's too violent.

Probably won't be watching Wednesday's game either. School related function for my daughter.

Posted by: CapsFan75 | April 20, 2009 6:13 PM | Report abuse

kcbrichmond: Totally agreed. If this thing goes into OT, I don't know what would happen to me, I just wouldn't be able to take it.

CapsFan75: Shame on you for not watching the game, although your daughter's birthday is very important... but the Caps are just as important. :)

Posted by: rachel216 | April 20, 2009 6:16 PM | Report abuse

Do you ever wonder why we put ourselves through all of this? Here it is a rainy Monday in April, and I'm pacing around like I'm waiting for my child to be born. All of this for a hockey game. Crazy isn't it?

Posted by: kcbrichmond | April 20, 2009 6:23 PM | Report abuse

I could care less who is in net. If we dont score..it wont matter.

Posted by: SA-Town | April 20, 2009 4:33 PM | Report abuse

TRUE. TRUE. TRUE!!!!

Posted by: hock1 | April 20, 2009 6:26 PM | Report abuse

Caps win because I said so. I have a good feeling about tonight... didnt the last two games.

Posted by: _828 | April 20, 2009 6:30 PM | Report abuse

Sweet TEB likes my username.
I'm a girl by the way, but its all cool.

Posted by: Ovechwin

Come on Tarik, stop assuming things!

kcbrichmond: No, I don't think it's crazy at all. This happens to all fans.

Posted by: rachel216 | April 20, 2009 6:30 PM | Report abuse

The only way that the Caps may lose is if Brash, and Theo play tonight. I would also like to see Semin and OV play in the same line. We need firepower, and "the cute" play to make lindqvist move and open up space for the pucks to go in.

Posted by: hock1 | April 20, 2009 6:30 PM | Report abuse

brasher in/Nylander out/Varly in tonight

Posted by: samb99 | April 20, 2009 6:40 PM | Report abuse

shoot the puck
dump it in
curl around
whatever it takes

The Caps have to mix it up and they will be alright. They need to score some early goals to get their confidence back. And mine
Go Caps