Video Update: Mixed Emotions at Kettler

In today's webcam update, Tarik discusses the atmosphere at Kettler Capitals Iceplex, where the team was not in a celebratory mood despite the news that Mike Green is a finalist for the Norris Trophy.

For those of you who can't watch videos at work, there's a transcript after the jump. (See, we do read comments!)

Transcript of Tarik's video:

"It was kind of a weird day at Kettler today, and the reason I say it was weird is because there was big news: Mike Green, the 23-year-old defenseman for the Capitals, was nominated for the Norris Trophy, which is given every year to the top defenseman in the league. He's up against Boston's Zdeno Chara and Detroit's Nicklas Lidstrom. It's a huge honor, but there really wasn't a celebratory mood out there. There wasn't a whole lot of congratulations from his teammates and a whole lot of backslapping like there might have been on some days.

The Capitals find themselves down three games to one in the Eastern Conference quarterfinals to the New York Rangers, and that's what everyone really wanted to talk about today. I asked Mike Green how much he was honored to be mentioned for the Norris Trophy and to be going up against guys like Lidstrom and Chara, and he didn't really want to talk about it too much.

He's had his own struggles in this series after recording two secondary assists in the first game. He's been held off the score sheet. He's also had a plus/minus rating of minus 3, which is tied for worst on the team.

He admitted to struggling, and when I talked to Coach Bruce Boudreau about Mike Green just yesterday, I said, 'What's going on? He just doesn't seem right,' and Bruce actually caught me off guard with his candid response. He thinks that Mike's gotten caught up in his quick rise to superstardom a little bit, and maybe now is trying to please fans, and maybe do too much, and make all the perfect plays, and score four goals and impress people, instead of just going out and playing his game.

I talked to Mike about that and he sort of acknowledged that it might be the case and he needs to get back to the basics. He also knows that he has to have a monster of a game tomorrow if the Capitals have any chance of winning and forcing the series to a sixth game.

The Norris Trophy will be handed out on June 18th in Las Vegas, but as Mike Green told me right before he left the dressing room, right now, he'll settle for another win."

By Lindsay Applebaum  |  April 23, 2009; 3:14 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Mike Green Nominated for Norris Trophy
Next: Boudreau: 'It's a One-Game Series Now'

Comments

Posted by: ridgely1 | April 23, 2009 3:21 PM | Report abuse

how is plus 3 tied for worst on the team...is that stat correct?

Posted by: reesem37 | April 23, 2009 3:21 PM | Report abuse

reesem37 - I think they meant minus 3.

Posted by: walt6812 | April 23, 2009 3:24 PM | Report abuse

Individual season awards should be dessert after you drink from the Cup...who cares today.

Posted by: lylewimbledon | April 23, 2009 3:24 PM | Report abuse

GMGM said Green has been under the weather for the first few games. Why aren't GMGM and Boudreau on the same page about saying things like that?

Posted by: LouLewis | April 23, 2009 3:33 PM | Report abuse

anywho...im just pissed today I guess, not trying to be difficult. Thanks for everything you do guys. Now if the Caps could just take note, and win a couple, we'll have another game 7 on our hands. And with that kind of momentum, and playing a team that was no where near the talent level of the Flyers last year, I like our chances in that game.

Posted by: reesem37 | April 23, 2009 3:34 PM | Report abuse

ridgely1... i think we should keep things in perspective. I mean, think about where this team was 2 years ago at this time and where they are now. It's growing pains. Am I mad at the way this post season has unfolded so far? Of course... but I'm not going to take away from what this team did this year. Look at the nucleus of players we have... very young, still somewhat "green" in the playoffs, and a rookie goalie (who's been playing great, yes). A Stanley Cup isn't won overnight, and I have faith in BB, GMGM and Uncle Ted to continue to build this team within the system and getting help where necessary.

Also, Green seemed to shy away from the talk about the Norris because he is focused on the task at hand for tomorrow.

Just remember, we've been down 3-1 before and have come back (and got screwed in game 7 last year).... let's cheer on our guys and help them bring this series back and take it this time around!

Posted by: CentralPACapsFan | April 23, 2009 3:34 PM | Report abuse

Lindsay, thanks for the transcript!!!!!!

Posted by: RedBirdie | April 23, 2009 3:35 PM | Report abuse

From previous post:

I still have faith, we won game 3 at MSG which was a must win and we've been good at home all year, so we win tomorrow, win the must win at MSG, and come back to an electrified VC. Have got to stay positive just like Ted said on his blog. I also think that the Rangers luck has just about run out.

Who's with me?

Posted by: Osfan092589 | April 23, 2009 3:37 PM | Report abuse

Who cares about the Norris or another wothless SE Conf banner raising. It's about winning in the play offs. They need to get real or get people in there who are.Posted by: ridgely1 | April 23, 2009 3:21 PM

This from a team that only made the playoffs for the first time in 4 years last year?? Hasn't tasted success since '98??

U get real.

Posted by: Rocc00 | April 23, 2009 3:37 PM | Report abuse

Carolina and Tampa Bay won their Cups overnight...right? :)

Posted by: reesem37 | April 23, 2009 3:37 PM | Report abuse

Central Pa. I understand where you're coming from. This team has made leaps. Least years was huge. But I think the superstardom quote was quite telling.Thy've had to dig down later in the year to beat teams like the Lightning and the Thrashers. The level of play leveled off considerable. I'll be there tomorrow night,like I have been for years. But I think all the attention,the crowds,etc kinda went to their head. I truly beleive,if the Caps ratchet the intensity up we could and should see a Game 7.

Posted by: ridgely1 | April 23, 2009 3:41 PM | Report abuse

I haven't given up on the boys yet...they play their best when it's a must win. I also agree that the Rags luck has pretty much run dry. Quality shots and traffic in front of Lundqvist is prescription for a Caps victory and a 4-3 series win. GOSPEL.

Posted by: reesem37 | April 23, 2009 3:41 PM | Report abuse

I'm on board to keep the faith until the Rangers have 4 games under the belt. Otherwise, we should expect a very exciting 2009-2010 season. =) Let's GOO Caps!

Posted by: LeftCoastCapsFan | April 23, 2009 3:46 PM | Report abuse

He doesnt NEED to have a monster game. No one NEEDS to have it. You just have to make good plays when they are there. If he is getting played closely, then he has to make the right pass.

I will say that we could certainly use some solid shot selection and get it on net...but that goes without being said.

Posted by: SA-Town | April 23, 2009 3:47 PM | Report abuse

0-6 on the power play won't cut it. Ironically, the thing the Caps need most on the power play in these playoffs is the one thing Avery's supposed to be good at but has not done yet - stand in front of the net, take the punishment set screens and score some garbage goals. Think Dino, John Druce, Scott Stevens, even Dale Hunter. I thought Fehr was supposed to be like that but he's not strong enough on his skates. Laich does a decent job, but other than that one goal, he seems ineffective this series as well.

5 guys standing around the perimeter and allowing the Rangers to seal up the middle, block shots and clear rebounds is not going to work. Lundquist seems to have that figured out.

Big guy, strong on his skates, good stick - do we have anyone willing to fill that role?

If not, I'm afraid Avery will continue to run around with impunity and the Caps won't live up to their potential. A beat-down won't solve the problem. He'll just turtle. Punishing them with goals on the power play will either make him stop, or Tortorella will bench him.

Posted by: perspective6 | April 23, 2009 3:53 PM | Report abuse

I thought Green needing a "monster" was extreme too, he just needs to have A game. Just a normal Mike Green game.

Posted by: Osfan092589 | April 23, 2009 3:54 PM | Report abuse

I'm going to focus on enjoying tomorrow night's game. I'd be happy with a win.

I'll maintain hope.

Posted by: Sonyask | April 23, 2009 4:09 PM | Report abuse

Carolina and Tampa Bay won their Cups overnight...right? :)
Posted by: reesem37 | April 23, 2009 3:37 PM

Nothing is guaranteed. If it is then you must be a product of some entitlement program.

Posted by: Rocc00 | April 23, 2009 4:34 PM | Report abuse

What a time for the stars to hit a productive slump. What a time to run into a "hot goalie." What a time to have bad luck.

Posted by: ejohnsto | April 23, 2009 4:43 PM | Report abuse

it's been 30 years of bad luck and hot goalies

Posted by: lylewimbledon | April 23, 2009 4:49 PM | Report abuse

thank you for the transcript!

Posted by: jamebow | April 23, 2009 5:08 PM | Report abuse

Tarik:

It's not only that we cannot view videos at work. Some of us live in the country with Internet service ranging from dial-up to wireless service operating at maybe 10 times dial-up.

Bartolo

Posted by: Bartolo1 | April 23, 2009 5:50 PM | Report abuse

Awesome! Thanks for posting the text!

Posted by: eswine01 | April 23, 2009 6:39 PM | Report abuse

Thanks for posting the text. Like others, can't watch videos at work.

Posted by: NovaCath | April 23, 2009 8:31 PM | Report abuse

thanks for posting the transcript. i'm not a fan of the videos.

Posted by: hsk8er6 | April 23, 2009 10:50 PM | Report abuse