Video: Wise, Koken on Washington Post Live

In case you missed it, here's a clip of columnist Mike Wise and Comcast SportsNet's Al Koken talking about Monday night's memorable Game 6:

Also, the Hershey Bears, the Caps' minor-league affiliate, just blanked Pittsburgh's AHL affiliate, the Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Baby Pens, 3-zip in their second-round Game 7.

I wouldn't dare get into what the victory means as far as recent trends are concerned, but, ah, talk amongst yourselves.

By Lindsay Applebaum  |  May 12, 2009; 9:46 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Quote of the Day and More on Game 7
Next: Morning Reading List: Game 7

Comments

(Repost from last thread)

Bravo Bears! Great comeback. Hope the Caps game tomorrow is similar (and a win)!

I nearly went out to the store at lunch time at work to purchase some Hershey kisses to pass out to everyone at work to cheer the Bears onto victory. Except I figured I had too much to do and could not afford an extra long lunch. (It's been rush project time for me at work, lately.)

Posted by: CapsFan75 | May 12, 2009 9:55 PM | Report abuse

Fade out to theme song to "The Twilight Zone". Nu na nu na nu na ....

Mirror series. Caps vs. Pens. Baby Caps (i.e. the Hershey Bears) vs Baby Pens (at Wilkes Barre). Duplicate results by game.

Posted by: CapsFan75 | May 12, 2009 10:00 PM | Report abuse

GO BEARS! That's great news for the Caps mojo and hope it continues tomorrow night. These next 21 hours can't go by quickly enough.

BTW - from previous posts - Lindsay and Tarik keep the blog and vid posts coming and any other content. Can't understand why folks were complaining about the vid posts...the more the merrier in my opinion. Y'all done a great job.

Posted by: hilmerdm | May 12, 2009 10:05 PM | Report abuse

good stuff Lindsay.

Wise might want to make sure to turn off the cell phone.

The Caps are going to have to play their best defensive game tomorrow night to win. They can do it.

Posted by: Moose33 | May 12, 2009 10:09 PM | Report abuse

himlerdm: I can't speak for others, but my only complaint about the video blogs is that I can't watch them while I'm at work, so I have to remember to re-check back in the evening (which most of the time there are so many new blogs that I don't have time to do so). Other than that, there's nothing wrong for those who have the ability to watch them. I just wish there was a transcript or something similar connected so I can read what's been discussed.

Posted by: BlondeCapsFan | May 12, 2009 10:22 PM | Report abuse

The Bears game tonight was spectacular! I was screaming the whole way through it and am now only provoking my cold/allergies to steal my voice.
Hopefully the Caps can win tomorrow with as much grace as the Bears did tonight!
UNLEASH THE FURY!!!!!

Posted by: 4RBears | May 12, 2009 10:32 PM | Report abuse

Ppl who complain about a work firewall...shouldn't u be doing work on the man's dime?!
How about going home & using your net to watch the damn vids instead.

Frickin entitlements...Hayseus.

Posted by: Rocc00 | May 12, 2009 10:42 PM | Report abuse

Well, since I can't comment on the column site itself...I'm posting it here since this video is Wise related.
"Called up for three games by the Blackhawks five years ago and 12 games with the Capitals over two seasons, Steckel finally made Washington's opening night roster in 2007. He was at a mall in Hershey when they told him to get on a plane -- you're coming up to start the season with Alex Ovechkin and Sergei Fedorov."
Fedorov was a deadline acquisition that season, meaning he was not on the team until 2008. Someone who writes about a sport for a newspaper should know that.

Posted by: capsfansteve | May 12, 2009 11:10 PM | Report abuse

RedBirdie, did you do those photos? I liked the Brads and Steckel one. good idea.

I've been busy, but i looked over some posts and I found some highlights. These made me smile, laugh, shake my head, and sigh.

***["Ovechkin charges and/or leaves his feet illegally on most of his big hits".

This is a myth perpetrated by fans of other teams because they have to find some reason why their players get regularly creamed by Ovechkin. Hits hits are completely legal and clean. The reason he hits so hard and they look so spectacular is due to his combination of superior strength, balance, speed and timing.

Posted by: ranndino | May 12, 2009 9:49 PM]

This is so true. He destroys everybody, even when he's standing still. With a few short bursts he gets enough momentum to obliterate guys, often defensemen, usually the biggest ones because they're the ones sent out after him. ***

***[ lol who cares about the AHL Game 7, it's all about the big leagues...the two series will not mirror eachother

Posted by: SC87

SC87 is scared!!!!!! And he's mad the baby Pens lost. Haha.

Posted by: rachel216 | May 12, 2009 9:34 PM ]

Somehow, Rachel got the vampires to look into mirrors, which I was pretty impressed by. you go girl ;) ***

[Crosby has NEVER been called for diving. Not once. Look it up.

Posted by: GBosch1aolcom | May 12, 2009 9:47 PM]

With a straight face, as well. sigh. ***

***[Maybe the Pens have made a magical turnaround to a team that commits no penalties, but I don't believe it!

Posted by: majiksea | May 12, 2009 12:16 PM ]

I don't believe it either, as I've been watching the games. I'm convinced its a conspiracy of radio trolls, who have no televisions.***

[U can come back for the post mortem tomorrow. But I doubt u will.

Posted by: Rocc00 | May 12, 2009 10:25 PM ]

I shook my head and laughed hard here! Imagine Prince saying it, and read it again. hahaha, i'm still laughing. What? Not Lake Minnetonka?

Posted by: oo7 | May 12, 2009 11:18 PM | Report abuse

I just sent an email to Ted to see if there is anyway the Bears team could join us at the game tomorrow. How awesome would it be to see a box or a section, or heck even behind the Pens bench lined with Bears players in their jerseys!

Posted by: caps28fan | May 12, 2009 11:23 PM | Report abuse

Go BEARS! Round 3!!!

As for the video posts: half the time, I check this blog on my Blackberry. The only thing I can do from there is read text. I can't watch videos, and I can't post comments, because there's no way to log in.

Is there a mobile version of this blog somewhere?

Posted by: irockthered | May 12, 2009 11:26 PM | Report abuse

I hate to be the Debbie Downer here - but I am really getting tired of checking this blog - but to find that it is littered with videos of Mike Wise. The post has traditionally been a "newsPAPER" not a video blog. And why Mike Wise? He makes my sister look like a hockey expert. Come Tarik...please just write...stick to the script. I don't need to wait for bandwidth to clear so I can see mumbling Mike Wise give me another uninteresting update - especially after he bashed our INSANELY LOUD arena during the Rangers series. Please, only words from now on, no more of this video crap please.

Posted by: schrute | May 12, 2009 11:30 PM | Report abuse

@caps28fan

Read your last post. That would be sweet of Ted to let the whole Bears team come watch the 7th Game of our series. It would be a fitting reward.

BTW, I guess we think along similar lines given your screen name as I assume you're also a fan of a certain Capital who shares the same first name as Ovi and just turned 25 this March, the guy that Orprick has made runs on all series long.

Posted by: CapsFan75 | May 12, 2009 11:31 PM | Report abuse

Hey, someone help me out with crease rules. I'm looking at Getzlaff's goal and he was clearly in the crease when he tipped the puck in. I was under the impression that it was okay if an offensive zone player was in the crease, so long as he didn't interfere with the goaltender or play the puck. If that's correct, Getzlaff's goal should've been disallowed. What protection does the crease legally afford the goaltender?

I remember a Cup Finals game in the 90's between the Stars and Blues where an overtime goal was disallowed because a player completely uninvolved in the play had merely the back of his skate in the crease. I know the NHL relaxed the rules after that silliness but I guess I didn't know they relaxed it that much.

Posted by: JS26121820 | May 12, 2009 11:37 PM | Report abuse

Make that Stars and Sabres, not Stars and Blues. Duh. Just knock me upside the head for that one :)

Posted by: JS26121820 | May 12, 2009 11:38 PM | Report abuse

@JS26121820

From the NHL Rulebook:

Rule 69 - Interference on the Goalkeeper

69.1 Interference on the Goalkeeper - This rule is based on the premise that an attacking player’s position, whether inside or outside the crease, should not, by itself, determine whether a goal should be allowed or disallowed. In other words, goals scored while attacking players are standing in the crease may, in appropriate circumstances be allowed.

Posted by: fnralch | May 13, 2009 12:01 AM | Report abuse

So what's the point of having a crease then? Either the goaltender is interfered with or he isn't. If the crease doesn't affect that, why have it?

Posted by: JS26121820 | May 13, 2009 12:05 AM | Report abuse

"May" doesn't mean "always." Here's continuation of the rule:

The overriding rationale of this rule is that a goalkeeper should have the ability to move freely within his goal crease,/b> without being hindered by the actions of an attacking player. If an attacking player enters the goal crease and, by his actions, impairs the goalkeeper’s ability to defend his goal, and a goal is scored, the goal will be disallowed.

Posted by: fnralch | May 13, 2009 12:08 AM | Report abuse

ahhhhhhhhh, I'm going to my first game since game 1 loss vs. rangers, I CAN'T SLEEP I'M TOO EXCITED!!! : S

Posted by: apollak8 | May 13, 2009 12:08 AM | Report abuse

sorry for the mess with boldface.

Posted by: fnralch | May 13, 2009 12:09 AM | Report abuse

@apollak8

I was at the first game with PIT. That was one of the most exciting events. Have a good sleep, get ready and rock the red for all of us!

Posted by: fnralch | May 13, 2009 12:12 AM | Report abuse

the crease used to be for the rule, but now I think it's kept to give goalies guidelines on angels and where to come out to challenge and such. Also, if the goalie is outside the crease and he gets interfered with, it may be allowed (example: Brodeur being nudged by Jokinen in Round 1) but if that happened in the blue it probably would've been a penalty

Posted by: SC87 | May 13, 2009 12:12 AM | Report abuse

the crease helps goalies judge on where to come out and challenge the shooter as well

Posted by: SC87 | May 13, 2009 12:13 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: SC87

good point.

Posted by: fnralch | May 13, 2009 12:14 AM | Report abuse

OK, that helps. Thanks, I've been curious about that. It's not just Getzlaff's goal tonight. I've seen tons during these playoffs where players have been in the crease.

So one other related question. Am I correct that the goalie can freely play the puck within the trapezoid, but if he leaves the trapezoid he is free to be checked just like any other skater? Or is he just not allowed to play it outside of the trapezoid, period.

Posted by: JS26121820 | May 13, 2009 12:14 AM | Report abuse

Thanks! I went to 1998 Finals Game 1 at MCI (the greatest of my fanhood achievements), so I know how to root hard but I have a feeling this wont be the last game I go to this season, so I won't let my energy peak..

Posted by: apollak8 | May 13, 2009 12:16 AM | Report abuse

Is it just me or does Varly have a tendency to come a lot further out of the crease to challenge shooters than the average goalie?

Posted by: JS26121820 | May 13, 2009 12:18 AM | Report abuse

Constructive comments from SC87? Awesome.

To build on the crease further, if a player other than the goalie covers the puck in the crease a penalty shot is awarded.

Posted by: Davethecapsfan | May 13, 2009 12:19 AM | Report abuse

@apollak8

My greatest is game 2 of EC Finals that same year. Someone (Krygier I think?) scored the OT winner and. That was the game where Hasek got taken out by Bondra in the corner and went ballistic and started throwing all his equipment at the ref. Have a blast!

Posted by: JS26121820 | May 13, 2009 12:20 AM | Report abuse

Trapezoid:
28.8 Restricted Area – A goalkeeper shall not play the puck outside of the designated area behind the net...Should the goalkeeper play the puck outside of the designated area behind the goal line, a minor penalty for delay of game shall be imposed. The determining factor shall be the position of the puck. The minor penalty will not be assessed when a goalkeeper plays the puck while maintaining skate contact with his goal crease.

An intentional contact with a goalie is not allowed:

The appropriate penalty should be assessed in every case where an attacking player makes unnecessary contact with the goalkeeper (from the rulebook).

Posted by: fnralch | May 13, 2009 12:22 AM | Report abuse

You're good at research. I suppose I should stop being lazy and look this stuff up myself :)

Posted by: JS26121820 | May 13, 2009 12:25 AM | Report abuse

I'm not a fan of the trapezoid, but it has grown on me I guess. I think it helps MAF because if there weren't boundary lines, he'd be out of his net coughing up the puck to an opponent every game.

Posted by: SC87 | May 13, 2009 12:26 AM | Report abuse

Forgot to mention, that was from the "outside-the-goal-crease" section 69.4.

Posted by: fnralch | May 13, 2009 12:26 AM | Report abuse

Good night, folks. Get ready for tomorrow...or already tonight...

Posted by: fnralch | May 13, 2009 12:29 AM | Report abuse

Well, if I was a betting man I'd have put my money on Detroit closing out the Ducks tonight after the way they destroyed them in games 4 and 5. Go figure

Posted by: JS26121820 | May 13, 2009 12:39 AM | Report abuse

WHAT AN AWESOME ENDING TO THE DUCK WINGS GAME!! WOW! FIGHTS ALL AROUND!

Posted by: oo7 | May 13, 2009 12:42 AM | Report abuse

The Wings dang near pulled a Hurricanes and scored with a second left

Posted by: JS26121820 | May 13, 2009 12:44 AM | Report abuse

Damn 3 out of 4 Division Semis go to a 7th game.
& if Luongo & the Canucks don't have a meltdown, it could have been 4 out of 4.

Wonder how all those other blogs are dealing with the crappy officiating?
Wonder if any other series has such a 1 sided officiating?

Posted by: Rocc00 | May 13, 2009 12:52 AM | Report abuse

You guys forgot to mention that a penalty doesn't need to be called every time there is interference with a goaltender. If a shot comes from the point (for example) and another offensive player interferes with the goaltenders ability to make the save the referee can call interference with a goaltender, disallow the goal and the faceoff will come outside the zone. They actually classify this as "inadvertant or unintentional contact" with a goaltender. So hope that helps as well. The crease rule has changed as well. The most famous in Caps history was in 1998 with the Cup run. A Boston player (Tim Taylor I believe) had a "toe" in the crease and the goal was disallowed. We ended up beating Boston and moving on but it clearly should have been a goal per today's rules. It had no impact on the goal or goaltender but at the time no part of a player could enter the crease BEFORE the puck got there. It was a bad rule and needed to be corrected. BTW, the goal you were referring to was scored by Brett Hull and the reason they counted the goal was because Hull "had possession of the puck" when his foot entered the crease. Big controversy but it counted. Buffalo still hasn't gotten over it!

Posted by: pokerface1208 | May 13, 2009 5:06 AM | Report abuse

Capsfansteve: a major oversight on deadline by me. You're right, Sergei Fedorov wasn't even on the team when Steckel began the season. Luckily the copydesk picked it up and fixed it for the later edition. My fault. Won't happen again.

Mike

P.S. Hey Schrute -- Thank you for your feedback. It's a little nasty and personal, but I'll try to bone up on my hockey a little more so as not to make you cringe. (Although, I gotta say, the idea of you wincing as my mug comes up on the screen might just make my evening.)

Posted by: MikeWise | May 13, 2009 9:55 AM | Report abuse