Wednesday Morning Update

After oversleeping this morning in Raleigh (my wake up call never happened, I swear), I'm finally in Tampa, where it's absolutely beautiful. Mid-60's and sunny. Just perfect.

Anyway, I'm planning to attend the Lightning's practice this afternoon so I can catch up with former Caps' favorite Jeff Halpern. The Potomac-native was traded by Dallas to Tampa at the deadline, and he's been on fire ever since, racking up seven goals and 15 points in 13 games. Halpern even helped out his home team last night, posting a three-point effort to lead the Lightning to a 3-1 victory over the Panthers.

The Caps, meantime, are scheduled to practice right after the Lightning at St. Pete Times Forum. So I hope to have an update around 4 or so.

Also, I just sat down at a Channelside coffee shop to work out the playoff scenarios. Then I took a look at Japersrink and noticed that J.P. has already done the math. In short, it's not going to be easy. But it's not impossible, either.

Update: The Caps have sent down defenseman Sami Lepisto and signed prospect Jay Beagle, who has 18 goals and 32 assists in 54 games in his first season in Hershey. It's a two-year entry level.

'

By Tarik El-Bashir  |  March 26, 2008; 10:31 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: 'Super Tuesday'
Next: Steckel Is Close; Clark Not So Much

Comments

can u find out if mike smith is going to play? thatd be nice.

Posted by: kyle | March 26, 2008 11:28 AM | Report abuse

99th

Posted by: heh | March 26, 2008 11:29 AM | Report abuse

Whats the situation if we tie Carolina for pts?

Posted by: SA_Town | March 26, 2008 11:35 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: rabbits have small brains | March 26, 2008 11:36 AM | Report abuse

hopefully we ride Huet for the rest of the season. The team just seems to play harder with him in net

Posted by: Mike | March 26, 2008 11:42 AM | Report abuse

I would say good for Halpie but he's in the division now.

Posted by: dave | March 26, 2008 11:42 AM | Report abuse

Mid-60's and sunny sounds so nice right now. I'm looking at 39 and overcast here in Milwaukee...

Posted by: Gelf | March 26, 2008 11:44 AM | Report abuse

I had a pet rabbit once, really loved that little guy. Of course, eventually we had to have him put down...

Posted by: uncatim | March 26, 2008 11:47 AM | Report abuse

@rabbits - yep, Japers' statement about Semin pretty much sums it up.

Hey Tarik - any chance you will blog about your chat with Halpern or write about it in your pre-game story?

Posted by: Jill | March 26, 2008 11:53 AM | Report abuse

I just read the remainder of Japers' blog post and am now thoroughly depressed.

Posted by: Jill | March 26, 2008 11:56 AM | Report abuse

JP's post was excellent. He is just like Ovechkin, is getting better and better. For a while OnFrozenBlog was my favorite. Now its clearly JapersRink.

Awesome job, just curious how he manages his daily job and his blog :-)

Posted by: Yo | March 26, 2008 11:58 AM | Report abuse

just once it would be SO nice for Tarik to be able to obtain a post-game quote from The Rabbit. This is not a jab at you, Tarik. We know that he just doesn't talk. *sigh*

Just curious, what DOES he do in the locker room after games? Hide until all reporters leave? How does he get away with it? Do you try to talk to him? I mean, there are SEVERAL Russians now who could translate for him.

Posted by: on ice | March 26, 2008 11:59 AM | Report abuse

@ Jill

Me too

Posted by: CT Caps Fan | March 26, 2008 12:00 PM | Report abuse

Wow, nice write-up about Greenie posted by the CanesFAN!!
Nice to see we are represented well all over the country! Why can't I find a good looking girl who loves hockey, some guys have all the luck.
Thanks Greenie - nice job!!!

Posted by: Anonymous - Tim | March 26, 2008 12:00 PM | Report abuse

I'd be jealous if it weren't such a ridiculously beautiful day in DC-land ;)

Posted by: HolyOlie | March 26, 2008 12:00 PM | Report abuse

I just read the remainder of Japers' blog post and am now thoroughly depressed.

Jill,
If you read JP's posts two-three weeks ago, you could be depressed too. But miraculously Caps are still alive, it is still possible. BELIEVE!

Posted by: Yo | March 26, 2008 12:03 PM | Report abuse

@ Anonymous - we are out here. Just gotta find us. ;)

Posted by: Jill | March 26, 2008 12:04 PM | Report abuse

@ Yo - Believe me, I am trying.

The problem is that the outlook on life I have honed over the years is to keep my expectations low in order to minimize disappointment.

It serves me pretty well.

I'm still keeping the faith though!

Posted by: Jill | March 26, 2008 12:06 PM | Report abuse

Not to be Johnny Downer...

But BUF losing last night destroyed their chances of the play-offs. They will have nothing to play for and given the amount of injuries they have sustained recently, they may just play out the string sleep walking. They play BOS twice.

I was kinda hoping they'd beat OTT last night.

Posted by: JSchon | March 26, 2008 12:06 PM | Report abuse

I still think things will be okay with the Caps... they just need to keep on winning.

The max points we can get is 94. So, if any other team gets over 94, then they are in the playoffs - hence why Pitt and MTL have already clinched. If we lose, the number will go down. All we need to do is tie Philly or Boston in points - we will get in because we would have more wins.

Not too worried.

Posted by: 828 | March 26, 2008 12:08 PM | Report abuse

@ Jill

I know the distance could kill it, but would you marry me?

Posted by: CT Caps Fan | March 26, 2008 12:08 PM | Report abuse

@ CT Caps Fan - Other than the Caps, I have nothing keeping me in DC.

But you'll have to try a little harder than that!

Posted by: Jill | March 26, 2008 12:10 PM | Report abuse

I think Seming just says "Shto?" whenever someone asks him a question in English. (Yes I know that's bad transliteration, but I'm too lazy to download a Russian font.)

Let's look a little closer at Japer. First, let's assume that the Caps go 4-1. 5-0 is better, but lets be fair, a loss of some sort may happen anyway.

The team at real risk is Boston. They play Ott twice, a good team (albeit sinking), and NJ which is always solid this time of year. Absent some sort of phone-it-in job by these two teams, I see it unlikely that Boston will win 2 of these games. Philly plays the Devils and Rangers twice. Again, a real chance for them to dive.

p.s. "perfect 65 and sunny". screw you, Tarik. [Jealous...]

Posted by: old time hockey | March 26, 2008 12:11 PM | Report abuse

@ Jill

Just getting your attention. To really sell it, I would have to take it off line from the blog. Don't want to take it too of course for everyone else.

Posted by: CT Caps Fan | March 26, 2008 12:12 PM | Report abuse

Jill is smart, intelligent and that's why I love her.

Posted by: I love Jill | March 26, 2008 12:13 PM | Report abuse

@ Jill

But would it count if I said I had enough Caps jerseys in my closet to ice a whole team and that I have been a fan since 1974? I bleed red, white and blue. Or whatever colors the Caps wear in a given year.

Posted by: CT Caps Fan | March 26, 2008 12:14 PM | Report abuse

Old Time - I agree - I think Philly wins 2 and Boston may win 3.

CT - everyone is hot over the internet!

Posted by: 828 | March 26, 2008 12:14 PM | Report abuse

I agree. Blog flirting is annoying for those not involved.

Tarik's Facebook page could potentially hold a clue...

Posted by: Jill | March 26, 2008 12:15 PM | Report abuse

@ 828

LMAO, so true!

Posted by: CT Caps Fan | March 26, 2008 12:16 PM | Report abuse

Tarik,

Can you find out the goalie situation the rest of the way? With no more back to back games I would think Kolzig would be on the shelf for the rest of the year, since Huet has pretty much been lights out.

Posted by: Jake | March 26, 2008 12:18 PM | Report abuse

Caps can beat anybody, but I am really afraid of them losing two points to Tampa.

So far Caps were not playing well against the teams that are not considered good this season.

Posted by: Yo | March 26, 2008 12:18 PM | Report abuse

Philly:
@NJ
@NYI
@Pitt
NJ
Pitt

On paper Boston has the easier road while Philly is up 4 points... Please NJ, kick their butts and I will publicly proclaim Sid the best (Canadian) player in the NHL if Pitt can beat them 2 more times.

This stuff will drive a person to drinking (more)

Posted by: Steve R | March 26, 2008 12:20 PM | Report abuse

@Anonymous-Tim
We are out here as Jill posted! Stop looking in the wrong places!
@Jill - CanesFAN (Bob) was drunk, but nice guy anyway! Too young for me, I know his kind - trouble, but nice of him to post.

Posted by: Greenie | March 26, 2008 12:21 PM | Report abuse

Tarik actually LINKED to a blog? He didn't just mention a blog he LINKED to it?

It must be snowing in hell (or Tampa).

Bloggers have been linking to Capitals Insiders forever but I don't think I've ever seen him link to another blog.

Hopefully this is a start and not a one time shot.

Posted by: Holy Crap | March 26, 2008 12:21 PM | Report abuse

tarik has a facebook page? holla

Posted by: honed | March 26, 2008 12:22 PM | Report abuse

@ 828 - hey, I never claimed to be hot! Don't hate just because I disgaree with you about Semin. ;)

@ I love Jill - thank you for the compliment. :)

@ CT Caps Fan - That's a lot of jerseys! So just how old were you in the Caps' inaugural season?

@ everyone else - no worries, I will get back to my usual biting comments about Semin soon.

Meanwhile, how about CSN not showing us the first shot in the shootout last night? Their game production continues to lack in quality.

Posted by: Jill | March 26, 2008 12:23 PM | Report abuse

Tarik and Yo,
On Frozen Blog had something similar the other day.

Posted by: Similar | March 26, 2008 12:23 PM | Report abuse

@Holy Crap

Well, Tarik said that he was reading JP's blog for quite a long time. So the link was a natural step. AND the post is one of the best for JP.

Posted by: Yo | March 26, 2008 12:24 PM | Report abuse

@JSchon - "The one who missed his calling".......is the message going to be delivered today or are you going to release it tomorrow?

Posted by: Greenie | March 26, 2008 12:26 PM | Report abuse

Somebody get John Druce ready. The Caps will get in.

Posted by: charmcitycapsfan | March 26, 2008 12:27 PM | Report abuse

Jill - you right!! But, you did say you were hot a while back - I remember you saying it... I won't date any girl that doesn't like Semen.

Posted by: 828 | March 26, 2008 12:27 PM | Report abuse

oops, meant Semin - he is a badarse... you will like him soon enough.

Posted by: 828 | March 26, 2008 12:28 PM | Report abuse

@ 828 - I never, ever said I was "hot." I wouldn't say that on the internet. You have me confused with someone else.

I may have allowed, however, that I'm not exactly a troll.

OK back to hockey talk! How about Kozlov being 50% on the shootout?

Posted by: Jill | March 26, 2008 12:30 PM | Report abuse

@Greenie,

Did you end up needing the armor?

Posted by: Steve R | March 26, 2008 12:34 PM | Report abuse

Not to burst your bubble Tarik, but it's mid 60's and sunny here in DC too!

Posted by: Mike | March 26, 2008 12:39 PM | Report abuse

@greenie

Deep Thoughts by JSchondy will only be produced on game day.

As for the scenery (aka females) at the Front Page...

There was some eye candy... and Melissa (the bartender) is hot and is a huge hockey fan. She looks good in a red sweater, and without I would imagine.

Sorry for being a pig... but when in Rome...

Posted by: JSchon | March 26, 2008 12:39 PM | Report abuse

@Steve R
Only in the beginning (I wore my hockey shoulder pads under my jersey), when I read JSchon's prayer/message to the entire section out-loud before the game, they threw popcorn and trash at me. The funny thing is everyone was quiet and listening -I actually made a spectacle of myself, but realized they all enjoyed it! I can't take credit for the message, I had to give it to JSchon, but the deliverance was pretty animated, they even mocked me later on between intermissions. It was a great night to be a CAPS fan!

Posted by: Greenie | March 26, 2008 12:40 PM | Report abuse

@ JSchon - You had me convinced I should be there tomorrow night...but now you are swaying me in the other direction!

Posted by: Jill | March 26, 2008 12:40 PM | Report abuse

don't feel so special about the weather... it's the same here!

Posted by: Jed St. Landau | March 26, 2008 12:44 PM | Report abuse

There is no reason that Jill and Melisa can't both look hot in sweaters while serving and being served.

Now if only we know Melissa's FaceBook page.

Posted by: Why not both? | March 26, 2008 12:44 PM | Report abuse

@Jill

I'm sorry Jill... Dont let my brief lapse of manners, boorish behavior and male chauvinistic overtones deter you from going to the FP tomorrow night. It was a bad stab at internet humor.

Everyone is entitled to a mistake or two, unless you're jersey number is 43.

Posted by: JSchon | March 26, 2008 12:51 PM | Report abuse

@ Similar

Don't forget Poland!

Posted by: GW | March 26, 2008 12:53 PM | Report abuse

@ JSchon - Nah, all that alpha male stuff I'm used to and don't mind (and rather enjoy). It's just that I was hoping the scene at Front Page would be more of a sausage-fest. More fun for me that way!

Posted by: Jill | March 26, 2008 12:55 PM | Report abuse

@Jill

Well if its a sausage-fest you want, there was enough kielbasa there last night to make Abe Froman blush.

Posted by: JSchon | March 26, 2008 12:59 PM | Report abuse

JSchon-
Or #37.

Posted by: kevbpgc | March 26, 2008 1:02 PM | Report abuse

Or #28. On a related note... What was the deal with booing Larry Murphy back in the day? Back before he left even. I never understood. I mean half the Cap Center would be booing one of our own guys. Murphy was a pretty good player too. Anyone?

Posted by: kevbpgc | March 26, 2008 1:07 PM | Report abuse

What the heck is going on in here?

Posted by: Anthony | March 26, 2008 1:12 PM | Report abuse

"The Sausage KING of Chicago"???

Posted by: Scofield | March 26, 2008 1:12 PM | Report abuse

I have a signed autograph foam hand with Larry Murphy, Geoff Courtnall, Michael Pivonka and Dale Hunter on it. I dont remember booing Murphy.

However, he looks really plastic now. He's a bit too shiny.

Posted by: JSchon | March 26, 2008 1:14 PM | Report abuse

@scofield

Is there another?

Posted by: JSchon | March 26, 2008 1:16 PM | Report abuse

In honor of the playoff run I've pulled out my Daniel Briere voodoo doll and put away my Sidney Crosby one. I'm poking for the groin - those injuries seem to take a long time to heal. Just ask Clark...

Posted by: Raber | March 26, 2008 1:17 PM | Report abuse

In honor of the playoff run I've pulled out my Danny Briere voodoo doll and put away my Sidney Crosby one. I'm poking for the groin - those injuries seem to take a long time to heal. Just ask Clark...

Posted by: Raber | March 26, 2008 1:19 PM | Report abuse

Damn Scofield... beat me to it haha Lawlz

Posted by: MetalCap | March 26, 2008 1:24 PM | Report abuse

Okay folks, just talked to Halpern. Had some interesting things to say. So I'm going to write a little bit about him and how he can play the role of spoiler tomorrow against his old team.

Other things:

It's now 80 degrees here. So there.

Also, I asked Boudreau about the goalie situation. He said Huet will start tomorrow, but he's not going to commit to anyone down the stretch. He's simply going to play the hot hand. And right now that's Huet.

Posted by: Tarik | March 26, 2008 1:28 PM | Report abuse

i was flipping channels last night in between periods and the nhl channel was showing our 1990 series win over the Rangers. John Druce sure was the man. Those were fun times at the Ole Cap Center. The place was rockin when Langway netted the OT winner in game 4! I dont think I've ever heard the phone booth that loud - even during our Cup run.

Posted by: fansince74 | March 26, 2008 1:32 PM | Report abuse

Where did the saying "Hot Hand" come from?

Posted by: JSchon | March 26, 2008 1:33 PM | Report abuse

WHAT a win last night! woo hoo!

That's all I've got...

Posted by: Leeguru | March 26, 2008 1:35 PM | Report abuse

@ Mike

The team should be playing 100% no matter who is in their net at this time of year. If we decide to not show up 100% because Olie is in net then we don't deserve to be in the playoffs. I Say give Huet the night off to rest, Tampa is a weak team and we should be able to beat them weather we are starting Olie/Huet/Or even BJ.

Posted by: Troy | March 26, 2008 1:36 PM | Report abuse

If you want the stats on our playoff chances, check here.

Posted by: Green Machine | March 26, 2008 1:46 PM | Report abuse

Poland?

Posted by: @GW | March 26, 2008 1:48 PM | Report abuse

If the caps win all five of their remaining games and the bruins go 500, the caps are in. There is no time for second guessing. there are no back to back games. Huet was brought here to get us in the playoffs and his shootout performance is a clear indicator. Start him the rest of the way out. If the last two games become inconsequential, then start Kolzig.

Posted by: AGP1962 | March 26, 2008 1:52 PM | Report abuse

Looks like Erskine's coming back tomorrow or Emmy's staying in because Lepisto was sent back down.

Posted by: keef | March 26, 2008 1:53 PM | Report abuse

@ Raber

Its funny how everyone on this board was calling fans from other teams 'classless' for booing OV during a shootout and now you are praying for an injury to another player...

all be it said in jest..its classless

Posted by: JamesD | March 26, 2008 1:53 PM | Report abuse

Everyone is saying everything will be okay if the CAPS keep winning; no it won't. They need help and aren't getting it. I still don't think there going to run the table and even if they do boston & philly aren't loosing. Like I told everyone

That game we lost in Boston(aka brashear meltdown) is going to cost us the post season. When you play teams ahead of you that's the best way to make up ground. The caps are a 1 line team. Look at the stats. How many goals have the 2nd,3rd,4th lines score besides empty net ones.

Posted by: smartfan | March 26, 2008 1:54 PM | Report abuse

Rabbits might have small brains, but, apparently, they are way smarter than some of the bloggers in this forum.

By the way, has anyone told you what kind of weather you are having outside?

Posted by: x | March 26, 2008 1:55 PM | Report abuse

@JSchon

probably poker/cards

Posted by: Anonymous | March 26, 2008 1:56 PM | Report abuse

smartfan

Can't speak for empty netters buuut...

Semin - 23
Laich - 19
Nylander - 11
Fleischmann - 8
Bradley - 6
Gordon - 6
Steckel - 5
Clark - 5
Brashear - 5
Laing - 1

Total: 89

Sad really....especially when you look at this.

Ovechkin - 61
Kozlove - 15
Backstrom - 14

Total: 89

Posted by: Yosh | March 26, 2008 2:02 PM | Report abuse

@JamesD

Isn't hypocrisy grand? LOL.

Seriously though...if the Caps get in, it'll probably be as the 8th seed. Given that, does anyone really think they stand a chance against Montreal?
I'd give them a slim one at best.

Posted by: burgwarrior7 | March 26, 2008 2:02 PM | Report abuse

"Where did the saying "Hot Hand" come from?"

From the fried brains of some of these bloggers.

Posted by: x | March 26, 2008 2:06 PM | Report abuse

For the record - 67 and sunny!
Good day for golf!

Posted by: Greenie | March 26, 2008 2:10 PM | Report abuse

What's up with the hate today? The boys won, things look good, we may make the post season, if not we are poised for many years of success. Can't we all get along?

Posted by: Leeguru | March 26, 2008 2:11 PM | Report abuse

I hope Emmy stays in. He has been playing pretty well and will continue to get stronger. Whereas I think we have already seen teh best of Erskine. He has his place, but right now I would rather Emmy

Posted by: Grape8 | March 26, 2008 2:15 PM | Report abuse

@Leeguru
I agree totally - last night I saw a team playing for one another, never saw that before with the CAPS in my life time!

Posted by: Greenie | March 26, 2008 2:15 PM | Report abuse

Greenie, we were all worried about your well being. Glad you were there live for us!

I agree. This team is coming together nicely. great mix of vets with young guys. I'm excited!

Posted by: Leeguru | March 26, 2008 2:19 PM | Report abuse

I was getting ready to trash "x" for his comment on "fried brains of some of these bloggers" but then I read someone would rather have Eminger in the lineup than Erskine????!!! Starting to agree with "x"!!!!

@Greenie
How long have you been a CAPS fan??? The teams of the 80's played hard for one another regularly IMO!

Posted by: Phil | March 26, 2008 2:23 PM | Report abuse

Jay Beagle? Like the Regal Beagle?

Posted by: Dave | March 26, 2008 2:24 PM | Report abuse

Huet did not give a thing last thing. Two freakish goals, especially the first one. It makes it easier on the rest of the team when someone reliable is in the net.

Other observations:

I thought it was Semin's best game of the year. He was hustling and played with passion.

Fehr was in over his head last night. I felt bad for the kid. Need to get Laing back in the line up.

Flash needs to be on the 4th line for now. This is not a knock on the guy. Its just the urgency of the current situation.

Posted by: red dragon | March 26, 2008 2:27 PM | Report abuse

I'm going to confess general ignorance about Caps history, since I've only been a Caps fan for a short time. But I have never been more excited about watching a team...
For who else besides this Caps squad can you have anxiety attacks every few days followed by periods of euphoria without the nasty side effects of prescription meds?
I feel like I'm learning alongside these young guys.
Just wanted to spread some love. You guys are my Sergei Federov...

Posted by: nat | March 26, 2008 2:27 PM | Report abuse

Agrees with smartfan and Yosh.
Caps are indeed a one line team this year. Could have been different if we didn't lose Semin for so long this year. Priority in the off season is to put together a second scoring line that is more consistent. So basically, getting Semin a center and winger to play with. Then they should figure out the long term goalie situation. Finally, shore up the defense. Figure out which D-men aren't going to make the cut and possibly bring in a UFA or a prospect. The Caps are close to making a playoff team but that is just half the work. There is still a lot of work to be done in making a team into a Cup contender.

Posted by: Madflava | March 26, 2008 2:30 PM | Report abuse

@JamesD: I wouldn't be praying - voodoo works!

In all seriousness, comparing booing OV with wishing he weren't on the ice when your team plays him (or depends on his team losing) isn't exactly the same thing. The second implies respect (to a degree) that the first doesn't really command.

On top of that, getting an honest show of hands around the blog when Crosby sprained his ankle to the question "we're you the least bit pleased" would probably be appalling. Making it worse was the fact that ESPN's coverage of the incident dominated NHL airtime.

Posted by: Raber | March 26, 2008 2:30 PM | Report abuse

Leeguru-
Amen.

Already the Caps are 14 points better than last year and have 10 more wins. Their special teams has improved tremendously as well as their effectiveness in shootouts. Their core is young-very young. And if they finish with 90+ points and don't make the playoffs, so be it.

Posted by: dave | March 26, 2008 2:30 PM | Report abuse

Regardless of whether or not the Caps get into the playoffs this season it has to be looked at as a successful season. With 84 points they clinch an above .500 record for the season and OV and Backsrom have gained the chemistry thats going to eventually lead this team to great things.

On another note those who are concerened that this is a one line team well your right but that is greatly because of the Nylander injury if he had been healthy then I think we would have had a better scoring second line so if hes healthy next season then it shouldnt be as big of a problem in my opinion.

Posted by: Luis | March 26, 2008 2:52 PM | Report abuse

Tarik,

I recently found out that the ref who handed Boston that awful 2-1 "win" over the Caps (and pretty much handed then our playoff spot) is from Boston, Mass. Imagine that!

Guess what Boston's record is this season when he ref's their games: A perfect 6-0.

Do you think Bruce B or anyone in the Caps organization has grounds to file some sort of complaint?

Posted by: Sapper | March 26, 2008 2:52 PM | Report abuse

@Phil
CAPS fan since their existence - let's not confuse playing for each other and desperate as that is apples to oranges. I don't think I can remember a time where they interacted so well. In the 80's I didn't feel the excitement I do now (because I think they were trying to survive as a club - and yes I loved Maruk, Bondra, Dino, Langway, Gartner and on.....) but what stands out today is the team chemistry - maybe I should have worded it a bit differently, but these guys aren't playing for us the fans, or any stats, or new records, they are actually challenging each other every shift - haven't ever seen that, this is what is so exciting! Last night, I think Feds pushed Semin to be a better player, he was constantly tutoring him on the bench after every shift. I liked what I saw, the communication on the ice, the praise etc............

Posted by: Greenie | March 26, 2008 2:54 PM | Report abuse

So I took most of the day/afternoon off from the blog. I get back and read the bottm 5-6 posts and instead of reading them all, I'm ready to toss some thoughts around.

1. We have a reliable 2nd scoring line, 2/3 of it is out for the year. Injuries do happen, sure, and teams have to be able to flex around them, but saying we need to work in the offseason to get Semin some guys to play with is a bit silly.

2. Someone mentioned moving Flash to the 4th line. I have to ask, are you watching the same game I am? He's 3rd line at best, or bench. You can not stick somebody who can't fight a newborn for the puck in the corner a spot on a dominate forechecking line. Flash has been worthless down the stretch and he should be replaced by Bradley on whatever line he would command, and move Laing into the lineup. Sending flash down is impossible, as he would not clear waivers.

3. Somebody said we need to shore up the D. That is coming from our young kids between lepisto and alzner. We still have to sign Green and Morissonn this offseason and if we can do that, and get Pothier back, I'm happy with the core of:
Green/Mo
Poti/Schultz
Jurcina/Pothier

There's a chance Pothier will not come back. If he can't, Erskine has the grit to fill in when Brash isn't on the ice. Big John has to be released/traded to not be a cap next year. Emmy has to be resigned to be a cap next year (look for a minimum offer sheet give to Emmy to see if someone will take him and give caps a draft pick.)

I can't see this team making many major moves on D unless we lose ShMo or Pothier. Not worth bringing a guy in for 1-2 years just as a stopgap to Alzner.

Another comment on the D. Everyone on our blueline, with the exception of Erskine, Poti and Pothier are under the age of 25. They have a LOT to learn. Erskine is only 27, and the Pots's are 31. We have a VERY young core of Defenders who will only get better the more they play together.

Posted by: FFS Enough | March 26, 2008 2:55 PM | Report abuse

Tarik - Looking forward to the Halpern update. I mentioned on the Caps message boards this morning that I was hoping Olie could strike some type of backroom deal with him so that he'll ease up on playing spoiler...

Posted by: Jill | March 26, 2008 3:00 PM | Report abuse

From the previous thread:

Mauree:
Boo Hiss!!! :-P Hey, at least when I skate I am on an ice rink!! And no, I am not an instigator - that title is reserved for Sir Instigator Leeguru!!

Steve:
LOL!! Poor goalie ... but hey, it worked wonders for Olie!! So ... was it worth it?!? Hopefully this little experience will help you to get your priorities straght next time!! ;-)

Greenie:
You battled well, my friend ... well indeed. Thanks for sharing and for being an uber fan!! :-D

Posted by: Boo! | March 26, 2008 3:01 PM | Report abuse

Leeguru:
So you're singing a different tune today, huh?!? Maybe if you had not had such a negative vibe yesterday we would have actually won in regulation ... ;-)

Posted by: Boo! | March 26, 2008 3:03 PM | Report abuse

@ Jill

Sorry, I was taken off my computer for upgrades for a while. Still looking for Tarik on Facebook.

Anyway, I was 8 when I started watching the Caps and my first jersey was a Bondra home sweater, which I obviously got a few years later. I have 3-4 of those as they went through a period of new jerseys periodically. I also have Zednick, Kolzig, OV (of course), Ridley and Oates.

Posted by: CT Caps Fan | March 26, 2008 3:06 PM | Report abuse

No, Boo, you can't blame me for that. I think actually the double negative worked. SO now, instead of reverse psychology, we have the double negative.

Good afternoon to you!

Posted by: Leeguru | March 26, 2008 3:08 PM | Report abuse

FFS Enough -- Nice analysis of the defense. Very encouraging and it does not seem worth spending a lot of cap room in that category.

Posted by: uncatim | March 26, 2008 3:13 PM | Report abuse

@Tarik

Tell Halpern to tank it and throw one in his own net!!!!

Posted by: Anonymous | March 26, 2008 3:13 PM | Report abuse

@Greenie

Thanks for clearing that up. I do really like the chemistry this team is beginning to show and i think with a couple more years on those young guys they will play as cohesive as Detroit does right now. And as far as Feds......he is the man, I just pray they at least consider shelling out the dollars to keep him on for the ride next season!!!

Posted by: Phil | March 26, 2008 3:15 PM | Report abuse

@ CT Caps Fan - Nice collection. Of course, I hope the name on the back of your "Zednick" jersey is properly spelled. ;-)

Posted by: Jill | March 26, 2008 3:18 PM | Report abuse

And a good day to you, too, Sir Instigator Leeguru!

So now I am confused with all of the reverse negative double psychology ... since you said that I can't blame you, does that mean that I really can?!?

(I know you said that I should not attempt humor, but ... :-/).

Posted by: Boo! | March 26, 2008 3:20 PM | Report abuse

@YOSH
your stats are to say the least ...silly
top 2 lines always score the most ...they get pp time .. and attack first play defense second
the 3rd and 4th lines play defense.. they crash and bang... play short shifts and are out against other teams top scorers
defensive players give up scoring chances as part of the defensive scheme
cant compare offensive output by line

Posted by: wendel | March 26, 2008 3:20 PM | Report abuse

@ Raber

I wish Crosby didnt get hurt, Ive heard way too much about him when he is not on the ice than when he is on it.

Im just saying though, even if you are joking about an injury..its not cool to wish it on anyone.

Posted by: JamesD | March 26, 2008 3:21 PM | Report abuse

@ Jill

Speed typing is not my strong suit. :)

Posted by: CT Caps Fan | March 26, 2008 3:23 PM | Report abuse

Chief Boo!

Now you're starting to sound like a woman. I'm so confused....

Posted by: Leeguru | March 26, 2008 3:27 PM | Report abuse

I wish Raber would get his ass kicked by JamesD.

Wait, just kidding!!!

Posted by: Jill | March 26, 2008 3:30 PM | Report abuse

Leeguru:
Oh bah!!! Next you will be calling me ma'am again ... :-P Anyway, glad to hear that you are back on the positive bandwagon - it's all good!! :-D Just ask BB - I've never seen him jump as high as he did last night after Kozie's goal!! Yup, if they keep playing like that, they will make it. As a wise man with long 70's/80's hair once said, DON'T STOP BELIEVIN'!!!

Posted by: Boo! | March 26, 2008 3:41 PM | Report abuse

Japer has a great Crysby-diving compilation in a post from before the Canes game. I liked the video, except the inclusion of his actual injury. That is one of the few things the crowd at my college's hockey games were very strict about.

1. Never cheer an injury, always cheer when the guy gets up. No matter who.
2. ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS give it to a kid! Pucks over the glass go to kids. They are the ones who will truly appreciate them.

Not once this year at a caps game have I seen somebody who got a puck or shirt or some freebie give it to a kid (unless the kid was their's). Must be different in the NHL vs lower leagues, but this sport needs more fans, and that's one way to do it.

I still remember, one of the only games I can remember ever seeing at Memorial Park, the guy in front of me caught a foul ball, and without hesitation turned and handed me the ball. Same happened at a Navy hockey game when I was 8 or 9.

Posted by: FFS Enough | March 26, 2008 3:42 PM | Report abuse

@Yosh,

You forgot to add Petty, Cooke and Feds. 5 more I think to the non-first line totals.

Posted by: Steve R | March 26, 2008 3:43 PM | Report abuse

In the day of cell phone alarms, Blackberry alarms and pager alarms, who the heck gets wake up calls anymore?

Posted by: B's Blow | March 26, 2008 3:48 PM | Report abuse

@ Jill

Found it

Posted by: CT Caps Fan | March 26, 2008 3:53 PM | Report abuse

Jay Beagle impressed me at rookie camp last summer. He was quick, physical on both sides of a hit, always hustled towards the play, and I believe he scored a goal in a scrimmage. It seemed to me, however, that he was larger than the 6 foot, 201 lbs at which he is listed. Does anybody know his actual size? Maybe the other rookies were just small.

Posted by: uncatim | March 26, 2008 3:53 PM | Report abuse

@Lee,

"Can't we all get along?"

Who's been posting as you Bubba? Cause that sure sounds like the "Anti-Lee". I'm just sayin.....

Posted by: Steve R | March 26, 2008 3:58 PM | Report abuse

@yosh

Are you seriously trying to include nylander who isn't even playing. LOL. And I was talking about recently. Also the numbers you gave me don't mean much. Semin gets a lot of his on the PP when he plays with OVIE. I do think ever since nylander went down the 2nd PP unit hasn't been able to move the puck as much. The caps arent a balanced team in scoring. Why do you think Bruce keeps switching the 2nd,3rd is it cause he's getting so much scoring. LOL.

Posted by: smartfan | March 26, 2008 3:59 PM | Report abuse

@Grape8

Emmy sucks. The amount of layups he missed this year. He hasn't produced. So many times he's had goals he put away; I can live with a couple but he had numerous. He'll be gone in the summer(for a late round pick) cause we have tons of people in hersey that are better than him and are ready to come up. If you don't produce your out. Were not a wait and see rebuilding team.

Posted by: smartfan | March 26, 2008 4:04 PM | Report abuse

@ Steve R.

SSSHHHHHH!!! It's still me, Bubba! I'm just kinder and gentler as I approach four oh!

Posted by: Leeguru | March 26, 2008 4:07 PM | Report abuse

@Smartfan

Emmy has missed numerous layups this year? What are you talking about? They barely let him out of the pressbox this season. He's played in 18 games, with long breaks in between. I agree that he may not fit in with the clubs future plans, but I dont see how you can criticize him for his play this season.

Posted by: Leigh | March 26, 2008 4:10 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Green Machine | March 26, 2008 4:10 PM | Report abuse

@Smartfan,

"Emmy sucks. The amount of layups he missed this year. He hasn't produced. So many times he's had goals he put away"

Emmy...? Do you mean a forward? Flash maybe? Cause I sure don't remember Emmy in close missing an easy goal.

Posted by: Steve R | March 26, 2008 4:14 PM | Report abuse

@Green Machine
"And just plain funny"
That was great! Thanks for the laugh!
No voice today, just typing - Let's Go CAPS!! I said enough last night!

Posted by: Greenie | March 26, 2008 4:21 PM | Report abuse

@smartfan -

I do not believe i ever said lets sign him for next year - I did not mean to imply that. I was stating that i would rather see him get his ice time *now* as he has not played badly the past few games he has been in. Why mess with what is working. Sign him - dont sign him -whatever. (btw -Emmy has not played much at all (under 20 games).

IMO - Erskine serves his purpose - what you see is what you get with him (i like they way he clears the crease) but he takes too many penalties and the next few games we need to stay out of the box as much as possible.

Posted by: Grape8 | March 26, 2008 4:24 PM | Report abuse

@Lee,

You going to revert back to normal after the momentous day has passed?

Posted by: Steve R | March 26, 2008 4:34 PM | Report abuse

Steve:
Like I was saying - Leeguru's singin' a different tune today!!!

Posted by: Boo! | March 26, 2008 4:38 PM | Report abuse

I'm sure I will. i can't keep this nice stuff up for too long. Throws the whole space/time continuim out of balance.

Posted by: Leeguru | March 26, 2008 4:42 PM | Report abuse

Leeguru:
So are you joining Greg in celebrating the anniversary of your birthday instead of your actual birthday?!?

Posted by: Boo! | March 26, 2008 4:49 PM | Report abuse

Nope. Facing reality and having a brithday party with cake and everything. Can't convince my wife to get me an "Escort" though

Posted by: Leeguru | March 26, 2008 4:52 PM | Report abuse

Lee, you still in for Sat night? vs FLA

Green Turtle still a cool place to go?

Posted by: 828 | March 26, 2008 4:56 PM | Report abuse

@Lee,

Is it safe to light that many candles at the same time? I'm not just talking about the brightness factor, I'm wondering if there will be enough air for us with that much open flame in the room.

Posted by: Steve R | March 26, 2008 5:02 PM | Report abuse

@828,

Which Green Turtle?

Posted by: Leeguru | March 26, 2008 5:03 PM | Report abuse

Steve, Yes, the girls want to light all 40 candles. THe doors will be open, so that will take care of the oxygen problem. I don't know if we can prevent the sprinklers from going off.

Posted by: Leeguru | March 26, 2008 5:08 PM | Report abuse

I had not being here for a while, but I see it has not changed much.

"Japers reference to Semin having sick talent but the hockey sense of a rabbit is priceless" NOT!! It is more of the stupid kind.
----

@Greenie

"I think Feds pushed Semin to be a better player, he was constantly tutoring him on the bench after every shift".

Greenie, I am not ready to accept that Fedorov was pushing and tutoring Semin, I think it was more like two professionals communicating with each other. However, either way, I agree with you, that is nice to see.
----

I can not understand why people are so down on Semin; this guys has been hurt, has played left and right wing from one game to another, has not had the same set of line-mates all season, has to constantly change his game to compensante for others, and yet manage to make unbelievable plays and score almost at will. I can not think of any other player on the team that has been put on that situation and yet put the numbers he has. It is beyond me, how some of the nitwits blogging here who think of themselves as hockey knowledgeable can be so negative on this guy.

Posted by: opita | March 26, 2008 5:15 PM | Report abuse

Leeguru:

Very nice ... happy (cough*cough) birthday!! ;-)

Posted by: Boo! | March 26, 2008 5:15 PM | Report abuse

Chief Boo.

thanks. It's sunday, but we can start celebrating now ;)

Posted by: Leeguru | March 26, 2008 5:17 PM | Report abuse

opita, I *was* with you. I dont understand why Semin's lack of interest in 'celebrity' should be an issue. Stoopid penalties and half-hearted backchecking, though, are as much a part of his profile as mind-bending moves and a laser-guided wrist shot. Remember when he took penalties less than ten seconds into a Caps power play, twice in three games? Remember seeing him just plain let up, gliding from center ice to the Caps blue line, behind a MTL odd man rush? (I could mention puck-throwing but I MUST have dreamed that, as no professional hockey player could do something so childish and unTeamly...)
I'm impressed by his talent. I keep thinking Semin will grow up to be a *reliable* contributor. Maybe next year?

Posted by: redlineblue | March 26, 2008 5:46 PM | Report abuse

Leeguru:
I'll have a drink for you!! BTW, I hope this does not mean that you are going to miss the game?!? What am I going to do with you guys?!? >:|

Posted by: Boo! | March 26, 2008 5:47 PM | Report abuse

Happy birthday, Leeguru. Hope the Caps give you a playoff run as a present!

Posted by: Baildog | March 26, 2008 5:48 PM | Report abuse

Thank you Baildog.

Boo, What game could I possibly miss? The party is sunday afternoon!

Posted by: Leeguru | March 26, 2008 5:58 PM | Report abuse

Hmmm... Seems that the hormones are rising with the sap.

Leeguru, happy b'day! And to those of you who wished me a happy regression day yesterday, thank you! It's always nice to be younger.

Posted by: Greg S. | March 26, 2008 6:09 PM | Report abuse

Leeguru:
Glad you have your priorities straight - thought the party was Saturday. Greg and Steve could learn something from you ... :-)

Greg:
Happy day after your birthday (even though you missed a game for it! ;-)).

I don't know what I am looking forward to more - tomorrow's game or going to the VC on Tuesday!! :-D

Posted by: Boo! | March 26, 2008 6:13 PM | Report abuse

Happy belated Regression Day, Greg S.

snyder or sampson...

Posted by: Leeguru | March 26, 2008 6:15 PM | Report abuse

On non-game days, this board is starting to sound too much like the Post's
"Achenblog"...everybody being too cutsie-pie to each other. We need another game.

Posted by: Phil | March 26, 2008 6:54 PM | Report abuse

Jay Beagle was lsited on the 2007 ECHL Idaho Steelheads roster at 6'3", 210 lbs. He is surely over 6 ft.
He was my pick to have the best chance to move up from the Steelheads last year. He was one of my favorite players as the Steelheads won the ECHL Kelly Cup Championship. He Sees the ice very well, as controls the puck well. If he gets a little tougher we might see him someday.

Posted by: OdFan | March 26, 2008 6:58 PM | Report abuse

Does "Emmy" play for the Wizards? Lay ups? The guy probably doesn't even remember how to hold his stick half the time from not playing, so I don't get the criticism of him.

Posted by: Roose | March 26, 2008 6:59 PM | Report abuse

@JamesD: "BUT all that aside I agree that wishing for Briere's injury is a bit pigheaded - I retract my previous quip.

Posted by: Raber | March 26, 2008 02:30 PM"

@Jill: Thanks :-P

Of all the teams to use voodoo magic on I suppose I should avoid the broad street bullies anyway. Riley Cote might drive a Zamboni through my building and then beat me with the debris (obviously not that he'd need it).

Posted by: Raber | March 26, 2008 7:05 PM | Report abuse

Eminger has played in 18 games this year. Out of those 18, we lost 6. I havent read after any of those losses (or wins) in this blog or any other that Eminger missed any lay-up, basketball or puck.

Posted by: JSchon | March 26, 2008 7:07 PM | Report abuse

@JSchon

I see you neglected that foul ball he could have caught.

Posted by: keef | March 26, 2008 7:16 PM | Report abuse

OdFan -- Thanks, I thought Beagle looked bigger. I'm rooting for him to excel in Hershey if he can stay healthy.

Posted by: uncatim | March 26, 2008 7:53 PM | Report abuse

Sooooo, does Flash sit against Tampa?

Posted by: Steve R | March 26, 2008 8:20 PM | Report abuse

I'm still giggling about the "Flicker" vs "Flash" comment from yesterday. I hope two things:

1. That #43 sits tomorrow night

2. That next year he is our break out player (Remember that many were pretty frustrated with Mike Green towards the end of last season before he was sent back down) Now we (well at least me) love the guy.

Posted by: Kim | March 26, 2008 8:47 PM | Report abuse

Phil:
Are you not feelin' the love?!? ;-) I don't know what an Achenblog is, but I am guessing you are right. That is why we "need" hockey - it keeps us focused on what's important! What on earth are we going to do in the off season?!? One more reason the Caps HAVE to make it into the playoffs ...

Speaking of hockey (imagine that!), here's an interesting article that gives props to our boy Ovie (and kindof BB, but forgets Backs):

And another "vote" for Gabby:

I will be curious to see who ends up winning what ... regardless, we all know who the big winners SHOULD be!! :-)

LET'S GO CAPS!!

Posted by: Boo! | March 26, 2008 8:49 PM | Report abuse

I don't see Clark come back tomorrow. Which sucks (something is not right with this groin injury). Maybe Laing for Flash?
If BB keep playing Flash, there must be a valid reason... right?

Posted by: mauree | March 26, 2008 8:49 PM | Report abuse

mauree:
i have not figured out what that "valid" reason is yet ... geez, i hope laing is in and flash is out tomorrow ...

Posted by: Boo! | March 26, 2008 8:53 PM | Report abuse

I'd just as soon say we lace up Carrot Top in place of Flash, no one would notice.

Posted by: JSchon | March 26, 2008 9:04 PM | Report abuse

Except for the people in Vegas.

Posted by: JSchon | March 26, 2008 9:05 PM | Report abuse

JSchon:
It might actually be an improvement ...

Oops! Did I "say" that out loud?!?

Posted by: Boo! | March 26, 2008 9:07 PM | Report abuse

What does carrot top actually do?? I could never figure that out...
However, I do remember him hawking some sort of pop in roller blades and he bites it hard. So maybe somebody would notice. I didn't think #43 was the one having problems staying on his feet. Although, for some reason there is a picture in my head of carrot top with a hockey stick, so maybe he would fit in...

Posted by: nat | March 26, 2008 9:22 PM | Report abuse

Hey Marty,you're in America. It's pronounced ST."Lewis" not ST."Louie".

Posted by: markfromparkville | March 26, 2008 10:00 PM | Report abuse

Out in Colorado for a conference, and while I have secured a spot to view the game on saturday, I am working on plans for tomorrow night's game. I might just pick up the phone and start calling sports bars.

Posted by: Sombrero Guy | March 26, 2008 10:06 PM | Report abuse

Godd news about Beagle. That guy hustles his guts out on every shift! I love his intensity.

Posted by: BearsWoooo | March 26, 2008 10:07 PM | Report abuse

does anyone know the status of bb's contract not $ but years? has he signed for next year? we need him locked up for several years so if u havent yet get on it gmgm

Posted by: wendel | March 26, 2008 10:38 PM | Report abuse

I hope Beagle saves some guts for the NHL. I mean you only have about 28 feet to start with.

Posted by: JSchon | March 26, 2008 10:41 PM | Report abuse

Nice article, except for the Headline. Halpren isn't coming home to his old Verizon Center stomping grounds yet, the game is in Tampa. This isn't a knock on Tarik--I know you guys don't usually write the Headlines.

Funny how he has been scoring so much all of a sudden. Hockey is truly a chemistry sport.

Posted by: Halpren Article | March 26, 2008 10:54 PM | Report abuse

Tarik, you are the man sir with all your updates. I think I speak for most when I say your work for the post both on and off line makes it easy and enjoyable to follow this team.

Echoing an earlier post, what in the world is going on with Clark? If he has tried to come back a couple times and clearly has setbacks, wouldn't it be wise to just shelve him for the rest of the season to avoid further injury? I mean it would be great to have him but at this point are we really going to make the p****** much less win a cup if he comes back, takes a while to get into game shape and actually starts to contribute?

The boys are really rolling right now! IMO we needdd to play laing against tb because you know vinny and st.louis will have their powerplay opportunities which they always seem to bury against us. Not so sure I want to see Erskine, Emmy has been doing okay and the guys have really worked at keeping traffic out from in front of Huet...we need more speed then Erskine has against this quick team!

Lets Go Caps!!!!

Posted by: Pat | March 26, 2008 11:38 PM | Report abuse

Wow i must be tired...that post was filled with runnons, incomplete sentences, and misspelling or two.

Is anyone else finding it impossible to find female company who will actually watch and appreciate the games? I feel like the only time the girls I try to date are interested is when I take them to see the game live...which cant happen all the time bc im in school and have less cash then the guy bangin the buckets outside the gallery place station. Where are all the hot single hockey loving chicks!!! Come out of the woodwork and show yourself!

Posted by: Pat | March 26, 2008 11:45 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Pat | March 26, 2008 11:45 PM | Report abuse

Those chicks are mine.

Chicks dig Papa Schultz and his half slapper...

Papa Schultz, a big size shoe man

Posted by: Papa Schultz | March 27, 2008 12:23 AM | Report abuse

@ Pat

Sorry for your luck buddy,
I got lucky and hooked one, she wasn't really into it before we met, but now she is seeing some plays before I do. We go to all the games at V.C. but never miss a game on T.V. either.

She's a keeper

Posted by: Super | March 27, 2008 1:11 AM | Report abuse

@Pat

I met my current girlfriend at a Caps on Tap last year. She was part of a group organized by a teammate of mine and we hit it off. Ironically enough, our one year anniversary was spent at the Caps/Pens game. She wasn't much of a fan (she was there more for the bar crawl) but once I started watching games with her and explaining things and sharing with her videos and articles that showed the players off ice personality she started taking a lot more interest. She now watches games even when I am not around haha.

Posted by: Sombrero Guy | March 27, 2008 1:51 AM | Report abuse

@ Pat,
We're out there...just keep your eyes open and your stick on the ice...

Posted by: jmu_capsgirl | March 27, 2008 1:51 AM | Report abuse

but previous girlfriends did not appreciate the Caps quite as much. I got lucky I guess.

Posted by: Sombrero Guy | March 27, 2008 1:53 AM | Report abuse

and of course, being the sole possessor of a sweet half slapper wouldn't hurt your chances....haha

@ Papa--we're still waiting for you to unleash that half slap fury of yours!

Posted by: jmu_capsgirl | March 27, 2008 2:02 AM | Report abuse

JSchon - Did you say it was $2 for bottles of Bud in The Front Page? With the strength of the £ against the $ at the minute I'd be able to buy beers for all at that price. Works out about £1.10 a bottle - wow! Not that Bud is decent beer but that's another argument. The only small problem is the cost of airfare from England plus accommodation may mean it proves a pretty expensive night out! Plus I may have left it a little late to make tonight's game!

Greenie - Did you not use my Caps version of the Our Father? Was it due to me not finishing it or is there a limy bias at work?? :) Good on you taking the best Carolina had to throw at you. Maybe you need some English football (soccer to you) style chants!

To all hockey chicks/ladies/babes * delete as applicable. Any of you like English accents?

To all - We are 5 games from the end of the season and we still have something to play for. Surely this is progress.

Posted by: Dave UK Caps Fan | March 27, 2008 6:42 AM | Report abuse

@Pat - I am female and have a pair of season tickets. Keep your eyes peeled, man.

Posted by: Jill | March 27, 2008 6:54 AM | Report abuse

Lee - the Green Turtle next the VC. If people are in for going there and watching the FLA game on Saturday - I will be there.

Posted by: 828 | March 27, 2008 7:32 AM | Report abuse

Sombrero Guy - thought you were out of town...

Posted by: 828 | March 27, 2008 7:34 AM | Report abuse

@Pat, girls that love hockey are out there and if this blog is any indication the numbers are growing.

Posted by: Kim | March 27, 2008 7:35 AM | Report abuse

Pat:
Sounds like you don't realize how many folks in here are female! :-) I have the opposite problem - I've only dated one guy who liked hockey as much as I did, and he liked hockey because he played hockey! Unfortunately that was back in high school in the great white north ... Caps fans in general are hard to find in this area. So now I'm a STH not because of the man in my life, but because of me - he's just along for the ride! Go figure ... Ironically, I have more female friends who like hockey (and join me for games) than males friends who like hockey. Some of those girlfriends are both single and downright adorable, so you just need to keep your eyes open! :-)

Posted by: Boo! | March 27, 2008 7:51 AM | Report abuse

@Dave UK

Actually $2.50 for Bud Light Drafts, hardly a great "beer special", but Im not complaining.

I think you still have time to get to Heathrow for tonight.

Tonight, Im expecting more of the bloggers here to attend the FP viewing party. Guys or girls, left or right, black or white, chocolate or peanut butter, dog or cat, tomato or tomatoe... be there tonight...

Posted by: JSchon | March 27, 2008 7:57 AM | Report abuse

@Pat

I just found out that BOO and Greenie are female. I just assumed they were men. Why?

A) they blog
B} they blog on a Hockey blog
C} they know what they're talking about
D) I'm an idiot

Posted by: JSchon | March 27, 2008 8:03 AM | Report abuse

JSchon,

I'm from up North, Manchester in fact. $2.50 is still a good deal when you consider I normally pay over £3 (close to $6) for a pint in the centre of Manchester!

Plus, the added attractions and fellow Caps fans would be priceless.

Posted by: Dave UK Caps Fan | March 27, 2008 8:11 AM | Report abuse

I'm not sure if anyone saw this or mentioned this above, but the latest ESPN power rankings have the Caps at 15 and the Bruins at 18. Weird.

Posted by: dave | March 27, 2008 8:15 AM | Report abuse

Truthfully, I've noticed that there are lots of female fans at VZ for the Caps games. I don't attend that many games (funds just don't allow it) but when I'm there, it's definitely cool to see the female contingent.

anybody doing caps on tap on the 5th??

Posted by: Scofield | March 27, 2008 8:18 AM | Report abuse

@Dave UK

So you would need to go to Manchester Airport?

The cost of the beer is great, $2.50 is a bargain. I'm just not a Bud guy. $2.50 for a Miller Lite sounds more appealing for me. $3.00 for a Stella sounds good too.

Posted by: JSchon | March 27, 2008 8:19 AM | Report abuse

Dave UK Caps Fan:
I think I speak for all American women when I say, chicks dig English accents. And for some reason, they lower all of their standards when they hear an English accent! :-) So, work it!! My question is, on the flip side, do American men dig women with English accents, or do Brits like American accents?!? I am guessing that the answer to both is no ...

Now back to hockey! I couldn't get overly excited about any of the action last night (it was all out west - I'm too fired up about what's happening in the east), but Boston, Buffalo and FLA all play tonight, so the race to the cup continues! I hope Boston goes down in flames, but they are playing Toronto again, so what are the chances of that?!? :-( CHOKE, CHOKE, CHOKE!! :-D Boy, I wonder if this is going to go until the very last game is played?!? :-|

Posted by: Boo! | March 27, 2008 8:22 AM | Report abuse

@Dave

ESPN's hockey power rankings have been suspect all year. Dont pay attention to them. Earlier in the year, it seemed like Bucci just looked at the standings and created the list, which a monkey could do.

Power rankings should take into consideration A) record, B) last 10 games, C) injuries.

Would you not say that the Capitals are playing better than the Bruins right now?

Posted by: JSchon | March 27, 2008 8:26 AM | Report abuse

JSchon:
If it makes you feel any better, I thought Greenie was a guy until yesterday, too! :-) I was impressed with her adventure to Carolina before she went, but now that I know that she's a chick (and stood and read the ode to Caps and everything), she's totally my hero!! ;-)

BTW, it always crack me up when guys say we 'know what we're talking about' when it comes to hockey. I was at a bar with a girlfriend before a game a few months ago and we (of course) had our jerseys on, which led a couple of guys with the opposing team's jersey on to start giving us grief. When we started debating the finer aspects of the night's match up, one of them (in disbelief) said, "Wow, you really know what you are talking about." LOL!! Why is that such a surprise?!? Wait a minute ... was that YOU?!? ;-)

Posted by: Boo! | March 27, 2008 8:32 AM | Report abuse

My girlfriend is also now a hockey lover, and she knew practically nothing about the sport before we started dating. It's really amazing how easily people can become infatuated with hockey once they understand a little bit of what's going on during the games, and once they have even a TINY bit of exposure to the delightful personalities of many of the players (especially our beloved Caps!). I also think (not to speak directly for the ladies) that it can be more fun to get interested in a sport like hockey because it's not the same as football where in a sense, EVERYONE is obsessed with it. It's like any cool little niche hobby where the only believers are TRUE believers. SO much fun. ;-)

Posted by: Ovie's New Tooth | March 27, 2008 8:34 AM | Report abuse

RE: the power rankings, here is what it says:

The Capitals were only two points out of a playoff spot Wednesday. Will they make the dance? Barry Melrose says no, but we're not as skeptical.

Posted by: Boo! | March 27, 2008 8:36 AM | Report abuse

Interesting article about Patrick Roy and, well, you know ...

Ovie's New Tooth:
I second that! When I bring a newbie to a game, they usually get really into it - they just need someone to explain a few key elements of the game to them. Then the speed and excitement of the game suck them in!

Posted by: Boo! | March 27, 2008 8:45 AM | Report abuse

If you haven't seen the TSN.ca news today:

"Boston, MA (Sports Network) - Boston Bruins leading scorer Marc Savard suffered a broken bone in his back after being cross-checked by Canadiens forward Steve Begin in Boston 3-2 loss Saturday in Montreal.

According to the Boston Herald, the cracked bone is called a transverse process, one that protrudes from a vertebra and serves to attach muscles and ligaments. Savard sat out Tuesday's 6-2 win at Toronto, and will miss at least one more game with the injury."

First thought: Unfortunate for Savard, but it helps the Caps.

Second thought: Savard breaks a bone in his back and may miss only two games. Amazing! Only in hockey!

Posted by: Joe B | March 27, 2008 8:47 AM | Report abuse

this playoff race is crazy. imagine us getting the 8th seed and pittsburgh catching montreal. we would play them in the 1st round. scary yes. so lets just catch the candycanes. LETS GO CAPS!!!

Posted by: Jake | March 27, 2008 8:49 AM | Report abuse

Boo,

I worked in MN for 4 months after graduating from University and can confirm this Englishman is a fan of US accents (on ladies). Some American women have lowered their standards for me in the pass - but hey, standards didn't need to be lower THAT far!

Jschon - like the Stella shout, Guinness would be even better. Although at $2.50 a Stella I don't think I'd see the 3rd period!

I just hope we get 2 points tonight because I can see the Leafs putting a spanner in the Bruins' works. How much would we kick ourselves if we didn't take full advantage of any Boston slip ups.

Posted by: Dave UK Caps Fan | March 27, 2008 8:50 AM | Report abuse

@Boo!

It is always a surprise to hear intelligent, even thought provoking sports talk to come out of a womans mouth. I love it. Its not the norm. Here are the levels for woman and sports knowledge.

Level 1 - Zero knowledge of sports knowledge, will cringe when sports are on TV. Would rather do home improvement or book club than watch the Superbowl.

Level 2 - Mild interest. Knows who you like but is less than likely to watch a game on TV with you. Will attend live games if you take her to dinner as compensation.

Level 3 - Some interest. Probably will root for her college team and where its jersey at social events. Might even like the local teams and go to the events and drink. Doesnt know much about sports other than the now and recent history. Will lose interest in all sports eventually.

Level 4 - A Level 3, that doesnt lose interest.

Level 5 - A level 4 that knows some historical aspects to sports. Knows not only her college, but her conference too. Will get into verbal arguements with opposing team fans. Loves to watch sports on TV and will entertain for your friends. Pays attention to your fantasy teams.

Level 6 - Level 5, also blogs and travels in female packs at sporting events looking for a fist fight, jk.

Posted by: JSchon | March 27, 2008 8:52 AM | Report abuse

To rehash a topic from above... My response to Optia.

I have been a very vocal Semin-Critic. Flash has taken quite a bit of my ire lately.

While I do think the situation he has been placed in this season sucks (look above, or maybe to the previous blog post) and you'll see me highlighting all the different people Semin played with this year. I feel bad for the guy and understand that it is a major reason for his lack of production this year.

That does not absolve him from some of the finer points of hockey that he just doesn't seem to grasp.

He's a -20. That's bad, especially for a guy who scores so many goals. When you get into the double-digit "minus" category, you can easily be labeled as a defensive liability. When I try to analyze a player's production, I'll usually look at his PPG's vs his +/-. If it gets them into single-digit +/-, I try to ignore the defensive aspect. For Semin, it doesn't help him much. However, Semin is the only person on his line scoring goals and that will never help your +/-.

But why is he a defensive liability? He is getting better about coming back to help on D and backchecking. While sometimes picking the wrong guy, atleast he's picking a guy now rather than standing around. I still have issue with how he carries the puck into the zone. When Ovie or Green carry into the zone, they use their power and while they may lose the puck, it is not "stolen" from them and sent back up ice immediately. They tie the guy up and let the puck marinade in the zone. Semin will get his pocket picked without establishing much time in the zone and things like that create odd-man rushes. While the toe-drag is nice and works on occasion, I'd be happier if he would either drop it back to feds or random2nd'linewinger of the night, or dump and chase.

While I am critical of his play, in no way do I feel he should be traded/not resigned. The guy has the raw talent to compliment Ovie beautifully, his motor just doesn't run at peak efficiency all the time. Like Kozy, when Semin puts his mind to it, he can be the best player on the ice. And when we have the game on the line, It's Kozy and Semin I root for more than Ovie to spark the team.

Here's to getting him some consistency next season.

Posted by: FFS Enough | March 27, 2008 9:11 AM | Report abuse

Dude, you guys are writing novels today. All Tarik has to do now is cut and paste and create an article.

Posted by: 828 | March 27, 2008 9:21 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Yo | March 27, 2008 9:25 AM | Report abuse

LETS GO MAPLE LEAFS!!!!

Boston is really banged up...Tonight we make our move!

Thrashers?? Not so confident with any help there.

Posted by: Anonymous | March 27, 2008 9:39 AM | Report abuse

@ Pat

My advice living in the DC area.. it's easier to find a good woman, and get her interested in hockey. My wife now watches games and cheers with me (although her 2nd favorite team is the Canes, and she is in love with Rod Brind'Amore and Cam Ward). Still have to work on that. I know i've done well when she can watch the NHL network, and name players without having to look at the jersey.

Posted by: fricnkoutstandin | March 27, 2008 9:42 AM | Report abuse

@Pat

Just get a good woman and train her.

Practice, practice, practice...

Posted by: Yo | March 27, 2008 9:52 AM | Report abuse

Another day of waiting all day for a game. Thank goodness these mean something.

Funny all this talk about females and their knowledge/interest in hockey.

My sister has never really been a fan. Not like she hated it, but she never paid much attention to it. Since I took her to a couple of games this year she has really been into it. She even e-mailed me yesterday about the Canes game telling how she thought it was amazing to watch. For a new fan to say that about a televised game, really speaks volumes for the excitement of this team and the game.

Let's Go Caps! You are getting new fans!

Posted by: CT Caps Fan | March 27, 2008 9:54 AM | Report abuse

My advice to anyone trying to find a hockey-loving girl (like I was lucky enough to) is maybe look for someone here who's not necessarily from this area but a more traditional hockey market. That's how I stumbled across mine, sadly though she and her family are from Pittsburg and give me pleanty of grief, but I'm wearing them down, her new favorite player is Green, so it's a work in progress. But hey if you make hockey something you can share, women are all into that kind of thing.

Posted by: AP | March 27, 2008 9:55 AM | Report abuse

Go to sports bar on Saturday if you're younger than 30, over 30 then Sunday. Bailey's in Arlington is loaded with girls on football weekends?

Posted by: JSchon | March 27, 2008 9:56 AM | Report abuse

Hating on Semin is retarded. yes he's got a team high -20. However, Nylander is at -19 and hasn't played in 2 months (and lined with Ovy most the year). Both of them are extremely talented players and deserve a spot on the roster.

Semin needs to mature more as a defensive player in the NHL, and he needs to have a solid line that compliments each other. Putting him at RW, playing with a different center and RW every other game hasn't helped either.

Anyone else notice that 2/3 (10/15) of his assists this year are on the PP. What that tells me is that he's only been able to net 5 assists at even strength in 58 games. No WONDER he's -20. He could use some solid help. Putting Fehr (a supposed "pure scorer") who is just as raw on his line is a mistake. Fedorov wins faceoffs, and can give instruction.. but he's not the answer. 5 of his 6 points are on the PP. That is one 5 on 5 assist in 13 games.

We talk about the lack of secondary scoring.. but it's really about a lack of 5 on 5 scoring from the secondary. We don't have enough players that can create space when Ovy isn't on the ice.

I'm not saying Semin is perfect.. but look at the whole picture. He's a great offensive threat, and as he matures, he will only get better.

Posted by: fricnkoutstandin | March 27, 2008 9:58 AM | Report abuse

@AP

That was very Dr. Phil of you.

Posted by: JSchon | March 27, 2008 9:58 AM | Report abuse

Does it seem to anyone else like this Caps team is bringing the kind of excitement you see in college sports?

Posted by: AP | March 27, 2008 9:59 AM | Report abuse

How can someone be in love with Brind'Amore? Unless it is for hockey skills.

I want to believe that the Thrashers will come out fired up and pissed because of the comeback we did on them. I would imagine their coach let them have it. They have not played a game since ours. Wishful thinking? Maybe, but we deserve to get ssome help from other teams.

Posted by: CT Caps Fan | March 27, 2008 10:00 AM | Report abuse

Jschon, I know, I don't know what got into me...I think I'm getting old

Posted by: AP | March 27, 2008 10:00 AM | Report abuse

@AP

Its not often you see the words "share", "hockey" and "women" all in the same sentence, but you did it.

Posted by: JSchon | March 27, 2008 10:05 AM | Report abuse

I don't think anybody hates him, that's too strong, but he can be annoying as hell. He is so talented that it is almost painful to see how he wastes his talent. I don't think he'll ever mature, he is a head case. He will be the same maturity wise 10 years from now.

Posted by: Yo | March 27, 2008 10:06 AM | Report abuse

@ Yo

Didn't Bondra have the same issues with +/-and defense, especially at the beginning, but he developed in time. Developed very well in fact.

Posted by: CT Caps Fan | March 27, 2008 10:09 AM | Report abuse

So anyhoo, back to real hockey talk, I'm at work and am in need of entertainment....ready GO!

Posted by: AP | March 27, 2008 10:12 AM | Report abuse

My girlfriend is slowly becoming a hockey fan. I took her to a game when I was visiting Maryland a few weeks ago (the heartless 3-2 loss to Toronto, unfortunately), and she loved it.

Then again ... having Ovechkin makes our Capitals much easier to root for.

We also watched the awful Penguins game "together" over the phone the following weekend ... and since her TV signal was a couple seconds quicker than mine, I got to hear her dismay when Backstrom scored into his net before I saw it happen.

I told her initially that all I needed was for her to tolerate my hockey passion. But ... if she becomes an engaged fan, that would be awesome. :)

Posted by: Caps fan in TN | March 27, 2008 10:15 AM | Report abuse

AP,

Can we also include some "attractive American women" and "cheap American beer" in with the Hockey talk please?

The first time I saw hockey live was in the old British Superleague days and I was hooked after about 10 minutes. The standard was probably somewhere between AHL/ECHL levels at the height of the league (late 90s). Jim Hrivnak played for us (Manchester Storm) and we also had Frank Pietrangelo (ex Pens goalie) for a few seasons. I still have one of Jim's game used sticks signed by him and the rest of the squad.

None of that is on topic but I badly need the time to pass before I can get out of work (90 minutes to go!)

Posted by: Dave UK Caps Fan | March 27, 2008 10:23 AM | Report abuse

First, it's Brind'Amour (oooh, look, I'm a girl and yet I have corrected boys twice on this blog post for spelling a hockey player's name incorrectly!).

Second, some of these quasi-sexist comments are starting to make this female hockey fan a bit testy.

Posted by: Jill | March 27, 2008 10:24 AM | Report abuse

If Jill starts a fistfight, I'll referee...

OK, back to work. :)

Posted by: Caps fan in TN | March 27, 2008 10:28 AM | Report abuse

Jill is getting testy! That is ALWAYS fun!

My wife will watch hockey with me. I'm not sure she is a fan, but she will not watch football with me, or golf. My ten year old daughter is a big hockey fan (we're going to the April 5th game in the hopes of meeting OV).

The first two games i took my wife too there was some serious blood! In the stands! People got hit by pucks. Still makes her nervous.

Posted by: Leeguru | March 27, 2008 10:29 AM | Report abuse

Hockey and love... beautiful.

Posted by: NoCountryForCapsFans | March 27, 2008 10:31 AM | Report abuse

NoCountryForCapsFans - That should be a in game commercial, like a better version of the old one where the guy is going out with the Lightning fan

Posted by: AP | March 27, 2008 10:39 AM | Report abuse

My delightful wife picked a fight with a hefty, female Penguins fan 2 seasons ago at Verizon after said cake lover referred to Caps fans as "having no heart." It may have been the greatest moment of my life watching that chick drop her twizzlers and tear down the ramp as fast as she could...wifey standing with her tiny fists clenched. People always wonder when they'll know they've found true love...pow.

Posted by: badkarma723 | March 27, 2008 10:45 AM | Report abuse

@Jill

Does that mean you'll be angry tonight at the FP?

Posted by: JSchon | March 27, 2008 10:45 AM | Report abuse

Olie's finest moment as a Cap

www.youtube.com/watch?v=2OCnDrab3dk

Posted by: AP | March 27, 2008 10:46 AM | Report abuse

@AP

Is said commercial available for viewing on YouTube? I would like to see...

Posted by: NoCountryForCapsFans | March 27, 2008 10:48 AM | Report abuse

I'm pretty sure it is, the caps have a channel on youtube

Posted by: AP | March 27, 2008 10:52 AM | Report abuse

JSchon,

How good is your life? Cheap beer and a fiesty Jill for company.

Some guys get all the luck!

Jill,

I do hope any of my comments haven't offended. I'm the perfect English gentleman.

Posted by: Dave UK Caps Fan | March 27, 2008 10:53 AM | Report abuse

@AP

I shall attempt to find it once work ends.

Posted by: NoCountryForCapsFans | March 27, 2008 10:56 AM | Report abuse

Man its funny to see this blog become Match.com when the Caps make a playoff run but thanks for all the advice ladies and gentlemen.
But if I may, I woke up this morning without the same excitement I had on Tuesday. I can see it in the talks here (although entertaining) that we are somewhat overlooking the fact that EVERY game is a big game even if its against the worst team in the East. Hopefully the Caps are not overlooking tonights game as we are. The fact is that the Lightning are playing to climb out of the cellar tonight and Halpern has something to play for. This is the first time the Caps will see Mike Smith I would think and Boston, Florida and Buffalo playing tonight.

I do not want a let down tonight. But I will be at Front Page drinking two and a half dollar Buds cheering on my Caps to a victory!!! The place was awesome Tues and I expect not else tonight.

Posted by: Roger #94 | March 27, 2008 10:58 AM | Report abuse

NoCountryForCapsFans - heres the link to the first commercial I mentioned

Posted by: AP | March 27, 2008 10:58 AM | Report abuse

@AP

That's good stuff right thurr.

Posted by: NoCountryForCapsFans | March 27, 2008 11:02 AM | Report abuse

@Roger #94

I've been on Match.com, this blog is hardly Match.com.

That said, I doubt anyone here has forgotten the enormity of tonights game. I certainly could post all sorts of critical opinion or mindless stats, but we just need to win and hope that there is justice elsewhere. Everyday has been the same for a few days now, anxiety ridden.

I will be at the FP tonight and I'm sure I wont care what girls are there from 7 to 9:30.

Posted by: JSchon | March 27, 2008 11:07 AM | Report abuse

Woot, Lets Go Caps (horng guy, where are you when I need you!!!)

Posted by: AP | March 27, 2008 11:11 AM | Report abuse

It's very simple: 5 games left, we need to win them all AND hope for some help. Talking about lines, wondering if Kolzing is going to develope a carbunkle while sitting on the bench, and who we are going to sign in the offseason will do nothing to relieve the stress of these last 10 days or so. I think everyone is excited!

Posted by: Leeguru | March 27, 2008 11:12 AM | Report abuse

Just visited the Front Page's website and noticed they had a photo gallery. There are only a few pictures from the Canes viewing party (although mainly of Slapshot). There are a couple of fans there too. Does anyone recognise themselves from these photos?

Roger? Jill? JSchon?

Lets hope there are more pictures from tonight with happy Caps fans celebrating 2 more points.

Posted by: Dave UK Caps Fan | March 27, 2008 11:14 AM | Report abuse

I think we'll all be pulling for Boston to stumble and take a beating from Toronto.

Posted by: badkarma723 | March 27, 2008 11:19 AM | Report abuse

@ Dave UK Caps Fan
You did not finish your prayer so I did not use it, so no preferential treatment was actually given to JSchon, his was complete so it got center stage - that's all! I liked them both!
@All guys posting about female hockey fans,
I hope it is fair for me to assume we females who blog appreciate the compliments
given....that said, you shouldn't be so amazed that we know what we are talking about, remember we are the note takers and we get passionate about things we love, so if we grew up around hockey we would give it 100%. Not that difficult.
My father carried me into the CAPS center at 3 months old, at 8 I got to go down on the ice and shoot for $200 dollars - put the puck right through that tiny hole from the red circle! Had season tickets for 15 years! I was born to be a CAPS fan!
Wish I still lived in DC, would come and join my blogger friends! Haven't had good luck with guys - seems I'm the one dragging them to games, haven't found the right one I guess!
@Boo Thanks for the kind words about my trip, it was quit the adventure, but I'm all about making it fun, I enjoy reading what you have to say every day - keep it up (Still - Bob - The Canes Fan that posted yesterday was drunk)!
@JSchon and by the way your not an idiot,
I enjoy your wisdom and stout stats - can't wait for the message today!

Posted by: Greenie | March 27, 2008 11:22 AM | Report abuse

@Dave UK

Pictures...
The only girl is Melissa the bartender.
The guys are the work at the front bar.

We should be rooting for TOR... ATL... and oddly enough, BUF... We need them to have something to play for when they match up against BOS. BUF losing puts them mathematically out and thats not good since they play BOS two more times.

@Greenie

Some people would call me an idiot, its kind of a term of endearment.

Posted by: JSchon | March 27, 2008 11:36 AM | Report abuse

@fricnkoutstandin

Semin only has 5 even-strength assists because he doesn't pass, he turns the puck over constantly, and most of his shots don't create rebounds...not because he has been saddled with bad linemates.

Having said that, I believe he's a great talent and I don't want him going anywhere...I just want him to learn how to play a team game instead of trying to be a one man (and one dimensional) offensive show.

Posted by: GusDaMan | March 27, 2008 11:37 AM | Report abuse

I agree that Semin has the potential to be a vital part of a winning team. I thought Federov would have a bigger influence with him and he might yet. For that reason along with his defensive abiility, experience and we have all seen what he does on faceoffs, I hope they do resign him. Not for 3 mill a year, but 1.5 or so for only one year. At 38 that is all you get.

Posted by: Rich C | March 27, 2008 11:45 AM | Report abuse

Naaa he come over to our table but we were a bit into the game and calling out scores of the other games going on. I saw the pictures and the only person I recognize is Melissa the bartender. Hopefully they get a couple better pics tonight but whatever.

However, I really hope they are handing out those Caps glasses again because I forgot to take mine home. Hope to see some people there. I will be pretty easy to pick out.

@Jschon
Game starts at 7:30 (not trying to be a smart@ss). I am trying to make the Front Page by 6:30.

It feels great to have meaningful hockey in March. Cross my fingers for April.

BTW...Anybody have any more witty poems or prayers for tonight?

Posted by: Roger #94 | March 27, 2008 11:45 AM | Report abuse

@ JSchon

I think I have a 5.5, not much of a blogger, but she will throw down when necessary.

See y'all at Front Page tonight!

LET'S GO CAPS!!!

Posted by: Super | March 27, 2008 11:52 AM | Report abuse

Looks like it was outta hand, what with Slapshot guzzling from a bottle of Tuaca and then hitting the ladies' room.

Posted by: Jill | March 27, 2008 11:55 AM | Report abuse

For those unaware, the Leafs get Sundin and Antropov back. With Maurice doing everything possible to keep his job next year, they will probably keep playing Toskala in net until they're eliminated.

Posted by: Patrick | March 27, 2008 11:56 AM | Report abuse

Roger, JS,

Thanks for the info re the pics. Tell Melissa she has a fan in England!

Greenie,

Glad to hear you made it out alive. If I'd have known my prayer was going to be read out aloud in enemy territory I would have finished it. Probably would have looked like this:

Our Ovie
Who 'art with Semin
Huet be thy name
Thy Kozlov come
Thy Green be done
On Brash as it is in Backstrom
Give us this day, our daily Fed
And forgive us our roughing, as we forgive those that officiate against us
And lead us not into the draft lottery
But deliver us from elimination
Amen

Posted by: Anonymous | March 27, 2008 11:58 AM | Report abuse

Obviously I'm the idiot here as I didn't add my name to my last post. The "Capitals Prayer" post was me!!

Posted by: Dave UK Caps Fan | March 27, 2008 12:01 PM | Report abuse

Well played Dave, but just a note of caution, we all saw how too much of a good thing can spoil the party with 828 and the negativity....

Posted by: AP | March 27, 2008 12:05 PM | Report abuse

um, I'm a chick too. Grew up in a northern city so it's inbred. No, I'M not inbred. Took my husband to a Caps game on one our first dates - he passed. Now he is a big fan, too.

Posted by: on ice | March 27, 2008 12:08 PM | Report abuse

Well done Dave. Nothing gets me ready like a good ole fashion Caps prayer.

Anyone heard the latest our Clarkie? I heard he's getting better, then not, maybe playing on the trip, then not? Any definitely news to share from anyone or will that have to come from the man himself (Tarik that is).

Posted by: Roger #94 | March 27, 2008 12:09 PM | Report abuse

You talking about me again AP?

Posted by: 828 | March 27, 2008 12:11 PM | Report abuse

Nevermind - I know what you meant. It was good while it lasted!!!

Posted by: 828 | March 27, 2008 12:16 PM | Report abuse

@ Dave UK Caps Fan
Just a couple of days late - but very nice ending! I'll keep it for the next time I visit Candy Cane territory!
@JSchon - Endearment term or not, I think your alright! By the way I'm a 5.5 level not much on fighting, I have little persons syndrome!
@ Front Page Visitors - Hey, anyone do me a favor, if you already have a CAPS glass from FrontPage could you grab one for me - I would love to have one!
Sorry I'm gonna miss the fun tonight but,
GO CAPS - (The Carolina game should hold me for a while - still dragging!)

Posted by: Greenie | March 27, 2008 12:17 PM | Report abuse

Roger #94

"Anyone heard the latest our Clarkie? I heard he's getting better, then not, maybe playing on the trip, then not? Any definitely news to share from anyone or will that have to come from the man himself"

At this point I'd just as soon say don't bring him back at all this year. Let him have the rest of the season to heal as it's going to take him a game or two to get back into game shape, and the Caps don't have a game or two.

Posted by: Yosh | March 27, 2008 12:17 PM | Report abuse

Say a prayer to Tom Brady that he sucked all the playoff life out of Boston.

Posted by: Anonymous | March 27, 2008 12:19 PM | Report abuse

@828

I am out of town, but I am doing my best to stay connected. I have a place lined up to watch saturday's game. Still working on plans for tonight's game.

Posted by: Sombrero guy | March 27, 2008 12:20 PM | Report abuse

via Bruins Blog at the Boston Globe, Chuck Kobasew has been diagnosed with a fractured left tibia. Kobasew, who is on crutches, will be out a minimum of four weeks and could miss up to eight weeks.

Posted by: Yo | March 27, 2008 12:22 PM | Report abuse

As we read the allegoric transcripts, it reads, from the ashes of Hanlon, will arise a power far greater than we knew, a just power that will challenge for lord stanley's chalice. And it is from this verse that we know that Tampa Bay has no f'ing chance in beating us tonight. We also give grace to our pals for tonight, Toronto, would you please beat Boston tonight or we take our grace back. Oh Pope of the Frozen Pond, we have one last prayer, please allow Semin to play smarter tonight than your average rabbit.

Posted by: JSchon | March 27, 2008 12:27 PM | Report abuse

Amen

Posted by: Leeguru | March 27, 2008 12:31 PM | Report abuse

Getting that antsy feeling all over again. Not sure how I'm going to makeit another 6.5 hours.

Posted by: Yosh | March 27, 2008 12:32 PM | Report abuse

Peace be with you...

Posted by: badkarma723 | March 27, 2008 12:34 PM | Report abuse

new post!

Posted by: Anonymous | March 27, 2008 12:40 PM | Report abuse

I am afraid because Caps tend to lose weaker teams this season, like Chicago.

Can someone write another prayer to hockey gods?

Dear Hockey Gods,

Please give Caps the power to beat a weaker, but dangerous Bolts. They don't need this victory, Caps do. Please make them to give it up and think about the golf course instead.

Posted by: Yo | March 27, 2008 12:44 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Anonymous | March 27, 2008 1:16 PM | Report abuse

@ GusDaMan

Passing is by far not the only way to get assists. 5 Assists in 55 games means that nobody is picking up rebounds off his shots, that nobody is getting deflections, that nobody is getting the pass from the center ice and taking it to the net. There are other issues on the 2nd "scoring" line that go beyond Semin playing horrible defense, and using the "hook" as his back checking MO.

I believe maturity will be the eventual answer, as I think we have the right people on the roster currently to move forward.

Posted by: fricnkoutstandin | March 27, 2008 2:44 PM | Report abuse

ymdj nuqz xhlwszo nphbgmure tavunydi umhqvz nthrszm

Posted by: erclh btpfe | May 3, 2008 10:42 PM | Report abuse

lcqepyvs sywpa dksqxgvoe xonucyhm qlbm xltkycwj mgxwzvhk http://www.mapln.enilxf.com

Posted by: olxfgz lybs | May 3, 2008 10:42 PM | Report abuse