Wednesday Morning Update

Sorry for the delay, there were a few problems with the blogging software this morning across the website.

Bruce Boudreau wouldn't divulge how his lines will look tonight against the Canadiens, but did say that the Alex Ovechkin-Nicklas Backstrom-Alexander Semin combination will stick together for the time being. As you'd probably expect, Jose Theodore is starting in net tonight.

Viktor Kozlov is still out and Staffan Kronwall, who is still on the ice with Brian Pothier and assistant coach Dean Evason, will be a healthy scratch. With yesterday's demotion of Jay Beagle and Karl Alzner there will be some changes in the lineup though.

"Out of our games they haven't been together for more than three games in a row all year so I guess it all depends on how well we play today," Boudreau said and the same goes for the Fleischmann-Fedorov-Fehr line.

"Soon as they play bad" they'll be broken up Boudreau said. "It's great that it's working out. I'd love to be able to keep lines together but injuries and play has necessitated moving people around. When you have 13-14 forwards and you're changing your lineups so that nobody sits for any length of time that necessitates change."

*I asked Eric Fehr what he thought of the identity crisis facing the line with him, Fleischmann and Fedorov and he said it's too early to get attached. Fleischmann said the same thing, and credited a large part of their success as a line to Fedorov who "just makes everything easier out there."

"If we play the rest of the season together then we can have a name," Fehr said. "It's not like we're the Legion of Doom or something yet."

Fehr did say he liked Brett Leonhardt's "F Street" moniker though. As promised I'll have a poll up a little later with some of the suggestions from this morning's post.

*Boudreau couldn't remember if he ever sent a player home for an impromptu sabbatical, but said he's expecting the Canadiens to be at their best given all the drama that's unfolded around the team.

"With all the turmoil that's happened to them they will be great," Boudreau said. "They could be in the worst slump of the year but every team gets up for them as should we."

By Katie Carrera  |  February 18, 2009; 11:27 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Morning Reading List
Next: Line Name Poll

Comments

Two pts for the taking tonight. Let's not play down to Montreal.

Posted by: cbs75 | February 18, 2009 11:51 AM | Report abuse

For as long as Semin (and Ovie, for that matter) continues to play defense and back check ...

8/19/28
14/91/16
21/92/25
87/39/15/10

Posted by: dml1077 | February 17, 2009 1:38 PM

Posted by: dml1077 | February 18, 2009 12:03 PM | Report abuse

The blogging software prevented me from commenting before, I vote for "F Troop" over "F Street". Aside from the fact that three guys are closer to a troop than a street, as a native Southern Californian, "F Street" has a different meaning for me. (Google it if you want, but I would recommend not doing so from work.)

Posted by: oldtimehockey | February 18, 2009 12:04 PM | Report abuse

Please! NOT the F-Troop! Don't you remember what screw-ups those guys were? They couldn't do ANYTHING right! Is that what you want them to be labled?

I'd vote for F-Street, F3, 3F, or SET line

Posted by: Greg S. | February 18, 2009 12:06 PM | Report abuse

That F3 was supposed to be superscripted so it would be read as "F-cubed".

Posted by: Greg S. | February 18, 2009 12:07 PM | Report abuse

F Street is owned and operated by a woman...why does that even matter? I veto F-Street.. F-Bomb has a double meaning and is not really PG. I like F-Troop, maybe if the line gets going, it will lead to a cult revival of the old tv show.

Posted by: reesem37 | February 18, 2009 12:08 PM | Report abuse

I'm quite partially to, as Fehr said, "Legion of Doom"! Because nothing quite screams legion of doom like having a 39 year old center.

Posted by: RedBirdie | February 18, 2009 12:12 PM | Report abuse

My vote is F-Street or F-SET/the SET-line...

speaking of lines, here's what I expect tonight as far as lines go:

Ovechkin-Backstrom-Semin
Fleischmann-Federov-Fehr
Laich-Nylander-Gordon
Brashear-Steckel-Bradley

Posted by: dcox50 | February 18, 2009 12:12 PM | Report abuse

Will the constant lineup changes be a help, hindrance, or neither during the you-know-whats? I can imagine that by now everyone's got -some- sense of their likeliest linemates' tendencies. Caps can plug and play, might be hard to plan for/defend against. OTOH, is the team missing out on some perks of chemistry? Curious to know whatchall think.

Posted by: redlineblue | February 18, 2009 12:17 PM | Report abuse

F Street. I like it.

Posted by: SombreroGuy | February 18, 2009 12:19 PM | Report abuse

Mikael Samuelsson..Why not us?

Detroit wants to dump him for picks because of the salary cap.

He would fit nice on a 3rd line. You may have to bench Steckel, Bradley or Gordon though.

Posted by: SA-Town | February 18, 2009 12:20 PM | Report abuse

Fedorov. One e, two o's. It's spelled correctly on some really nice trophies. Fedorov.

Posted by: redlineblue | February 18, 2009 12:23 PM | Report abuse

you do know that Fehr was referring to the nickname of the LeClair/Lindros/Renberg line from the 90s, right?

Posted by: donknutts | February 18, 2009 12:25 PM | Report abuse

redlineblue

I found that error on CBC.CA of all places a couple of times this past month. I wrote to them and said that a guy that's played 19 years and has won so many awards and Cups and is a lock on the HHOF should at least have his name spelled correctly.

They claimed that they got the feed from AP and they contacted them to get it right in the future. That's what they called "rip 'n' read" in the old radio days of teletypes. Totally lacking in the thought process.

Posted by: Greg S. | February 18, 2009 12:29 PM | Report abuse

Maybe we should wait until the end of the season and hopefuly we can call them a "scoring line".

Posted by: Blueline | February 18, 2009 12:31 PM | Report abuse

Have one spare in 426 for tonight, if interested let me know.

Dave, the bold type hurts my eyes.

Posted by: Steve_R | February 18, 2009 12:36 PM | Report abuse

@Tarik or anyone who may know

Are the Caps doing anything before the game tonight to celebrate Mike Green's NHL record 8 game goal streak?

Posted by: cainoo7x | February 18, 2009 12:36 PM | Report abuse

If anyone wants tickets for the game tonight please check the ticketexchange. I am unable to make it now and just posted them - Sec 117, Row W. Just face value and covering the fees from ticketmaster.

Posted by: caps28fan | February 18, 2009 12:37 PM | Report abuse

OK, I was not desperately seeking Leeguru on the last thread - I kept getting error messages and nothing was posting ... guess it all decided to pop up at the same time!! :-) Sorry about that!

Posted by: Boo- | February 18, 2009 12:42 PM | Report abuse

the F-bombs.

Posted by: brownryan | February 18, 2009 12:43 PM | Report abuse

As far as the line of 14-91-61, why not just call them the F-Team? You know, like the A-Team? The A-Team were pretty awesome. Fedorov can be Hannibal, while Flash is Faceman and Fehr is Murdock. Too bad we can't get Brashear in there as well as he's a perfect fit for Baracus.

Posted by: cainoo7x | February 18, 2009 12:45 PM | Report abuse

you guys are trying WAAAAAAAAAAY to hard on a nickname. you can't plan nicknames, they just pop up. i want to poke my eyes because reading your horrible nicknames, is just so wretched.

Posted by: MNMNT | February 18, 2009 12:47 PM | Report abuse

Let's hope tonight is not the night Price gets his crap together. He's been absolutely awful recently. Looks like teams have figured him out and he's struggling to adjust. He goes down way too early and is constantly getting beat top shelf, which is where everyone is shooting on him now.

Alzner sent down, eh?

@ dml1077

I like it. Laich - Nylander - Kozlov would not be a bad 3rd line on paper. For most teams that would be a 2nd line. If these 3 clicks as well we become 3 scoring lines deep.

Theodore is gonna catch some flak from MTL fans tonight probably.

Posted by: ranndino | February 18, 2009 12:48 PM | Report abuse

The nicknames for our current 2nd line all suck, so how about another really bad one - FeFeFlash?

Posted by: ranndino | February 18, 2009 12:51 PM | Report abuse

redlineblue:

The reason I suggested having GM or BB poll the four Russians is the Russians throughout the NHL arre a close-knit bunch and our four would give a very clear opinion is they felt Kovalev would fit in or not.

Also, you refer to him as a "head case." Isn't the difference between Nylander and Kovalev at this point one head case with 39 pts and another with 28 pts? Nylander might not be a head case of the 1st magnitude, but he's clearly a problem child at the very least.

I don't know the Caps locker room persona so I don't know if Kovalev would fit in. You might be right. I would be interested in knowing if GM is considering this.

Posted by: tominfl1 | February 18, 2009 12:51 PM | Report abuse

MNMNT does not play well with others.

Dave/Steve - you there? ;-)

Posted by: Boo- | February 18, 2009 12:53 PM | Report abuse

How about the "FURY" line? They have been bringing the fury recently.

Posted by: dsphvywght | February 18, 2009 12:53 PM | Report abuse

legion of doom was a famous philly line from the 90s....

Posted by: richmondphil | February 18, 2009 12:53 PM | Report abuse

F-train

Posted by: voyM | February 18, 2009 12:54 PM | Report abuse

@donknutts

re-reading the posts, looks like you beat me to it.

Posted by: richmondphil | February 18, 2009 12:54 PM | Report abuse

Fehrmannov

Now that's a truly horrible hockey line name!

Agreed, best way to get a name is to let it happen and take hold. Just ask KoKo what happened when he tried to be T-bone.

Posted by: fricknoutstandin | February 18, 2009 12:59 PM | Report abuse

F-tastic

Posted by: chombie13 | February 18, 2009 12:59 PM | Report abuse

How about: "Flying, fast & furious"

Posted by: rudymr | February 18, 2009 1:01 PM | Report abuse

Fehrmannov ... I like it! :-)

Fab Four? Oh, wait ... ;-)

Posted by: Boo- | February 18, 2009 1:01 PM | Report abuse

how 'bout "The Three Famigos".

I got nothin', lol

Posted by: sargeantmofo | February 18, 2009 1:04 PM | Report abuse

How about The F Bomb?

Posted by: erniefive | February 18, 2009 1:05 PM | Report abuse

My daughter (10) came up with this one for ovie's line. the B.O.S.S Line - the extra S can stand for whatever superlative you want to use! I vote for F Street and hope it stays together. While on the subject, could you imagine how good Brooks would be if he stayed on one line. He has been a great utility infielder for us but in a way I think it might stunt his development. Let me know what you think!

Posted by: psugolf | February 18, 2009 1:06 PM | Report abuse

How about: "Flying, fast & furious"; alternatively "F³"

Posted by: rudymr | February 18, 2009 1:07 PM | Report abuse

This is totally unrelated, but what are the chances the NHL goes back to the old division allignment? I still think our natural rivalries are the pens, flyers, islanders and rangers.

just dont get too excited for florida, tampa, atlanta and even carolina. maybe throw nashville in the south east and get us back in the old patrick division.

Tarik....anyone......

Posted by: capsfansince74 | February 18, 2009 1:08 PM | Report abuse

and i left off the devils.

Posted by: capsfansince74 | February 18, 2009 1:09 PM | Report abuse

@TominFl1
You don't know what you are talking about. Nylander is not a head case nor is he a problem at all in the locker room. The players like him. He is just unable to justify his contract. Period.
Kovalev is a well known prima donna. Even the Russian hockey Federation don't want him on their National team.

Posted by: atybat | February 18, 2009 1:09 PM | Report abuse

there is no chance.

Posted by: richmondphil | February 18, 2009 1:10 PM | Report abuse

For those "Office Space" fans out there, how about the "Flair Line"

Posted by: geauxcaps | February 18, 2009 1:12 PM | Report abuse

Freedom Fries

Seriously, stop the nickname thing. It is not working.

Posted by: washingtonpost31 | February 18, 2009 1:12 PM | Report abuse

Boo,
Don't make me come over there!

Tess from previous,
I had heard Fehrsy used, it's just not very catchy is it? Can't bring myself to shout "Go on Fehrsy when watching games". Then again, at 2am I shouldn't be shouting anything!

Posted by: DaveUKCapsFan | February 18, 2009 1:13 PM | Report abuse

Carey Price has stunk not because he has been figured out, but because he (and others) have been partying way too much. (See links from Morning Reading.) Let's hope he gets the DTs tonight from being off the sauce for too long.

This would be a trap game for a young, undisciplined team. I think the Caps are turning a corner and will demonstrate more consistency after getting up for the back-to-back road trip against two crummy teams in less than 24 hours this past weekend.

Enjoy the feature on Comcast about Ted Leonsis tonight. He is a great owner, especially compared to his rivals in the DC area.

Posted by: crooks_c | February 18, 2009 1:15 PM | Report abuse

for Tarik or those that were there, were either 8 or 28 on the ice at all this morning? I know morning skates are optional,just wondering if my eyesight is even worse than i thought.

Posted by: doncosmic | February 18, 2009 1:16 PM | Report abuse

great, the gloom and doom has begun. Now we have to listen to kitty talk about how she doesn't like our prospects tonight....

Posted by: Leeguru | February 18, 2009 1:18 PM | Report abuse

Re: Division Realignment.

I am glad that we have a crummy division. Think about how the San Francisco 49ers thrived for so long against a set of crummy division rivals. They consistently had inflated records and better health than other NFC teams. Sure, the NFC East produced some Super Bowl champs, such as our Redskins, but no one team stood out like the 49ers did. Better that the Caps get to keep a bit more in the tank for the playoffs than spending it all in the regular season.

Posted by: crooks_c | February 18, 2009 1:20 PM | Report abuse

@ Steve_R: Is that ticket still available? A buddy of mine just moved into town and he's wanting to start coming to some Caps games. Better late than never, eh?

Posted by: covesdog | February 18, 2009 1:22 PM | Report abuse

Greg, I bought an enamel "Federov" pin at the booth early this season. Huury wile supplies last.

Tom, There's nothing desirable about adding Kovalev to this Caps team. He's been unreliable and underproductive everywhere he's played. You keep making the case against Nylander, to which Duh is the only reasonable response. The case against Kovalev is longer; it can be made on and off the ice; it goes back a decade; the idea that 4 of his countrymen can/would/should trump that well-known case is...unusual.

Trading Nylander is what you want. Getting Kovalev is a risk you'll accept in return. Got it.

Posted by: redlineblue | February 18, 2009 1:40 PM | Report abuse

@ crooks_c

Yeah, I've read that also (French radio interview with one of MTL's assistant coaches).

I would have to admit that being between 21 & 24, single, famous and rich in Montreal... I'd have a very difficult time resiting the party life too.

The ratio of hot girls in Montreal is absolutely ridiculous (and they're much more open minded about sex), they have some of the best clubs I've been to and these stay open till the wee hours of the morning, there's a whole huge street littered with strip clubs, prostitution is legal, etc. It's like Vegas of Canada.

Posted by: ranndino | February 18, 2009 1:52 PM | Report abuse

How about the F-Sticks.

Sticks are used for scoring...

in hockey...

Posted by: brihobbs | February 18, 2009 2:09 PM | Report abuse

*groan* Yeah, the line names for the Three F's are pretty unoriginal. Uninspiring. Let's wait it out. Triple F line, anyone? Yeah, this is a lot harder than it looks. *snicker*

Posted by: LeftCoastCapsFan | February 18, 2009 4:04 PM | Report abuse

I like "the detention line".

However, I know the poll is already up with the other names.....just say'n

Posted by: capsfan161 | February 18, 2009 6:32 PM | Report abuse

^^^ooops, wrong blog entry : )

Posted by: capsfan161 | February 18, 2009 6:33 PM | Report abuse

I am TOTALLY down with Fehrmannov!!!
I don't even care if that line breaks up, I'm going to keep saying the name. I feel like RainMan. I can't stop saying it.

Posted by: Willy6 | February 18, 2009 6:50 PM | Report abuse