Where to watch Caps games in D.C.

(Jahi Chikwendiu/The Washington Post)

(If you're not at Verizon Center, that is...)

Washington Post bar expert (and luckiest person alive) Fritz Hahn has compiled a list of the best bars for Caps fans, categorized by home and away games. Check out the list here and view an interactive map here.

By Lindsay Applebaum  |  April 15, 2010; 4:15 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Boudreau wary of Caps-Canadiens opener after Wednesday's upsets
Next: Tonight's lineup: Canadiens at Caps

Comments

Lindsay, Tarik, Geno, and anyone else who's been working on these posts, you guys are the BEST! (Do you ever sleep?) You've given us a continuous stream of information for the last several days, which has made this interminable waiting easier to endure. THANK YOU!!!!!

and LET'S GO CAPS!

Posted by: wocoliz | April 15, 2010 4:41 PM | Report abuse

I love all of the Insider sites, and CAPS Insider has surpassed the debacle thats become RI--way too much negativity and catty commentary.

That said, the Post's analysis is a joke. Seriuosly: At home games got a bar near Verizon, at away games stick to the Orange Line. I looked at the map and spit out my water.

Posted by: WaPoLiveFan16 | April 15, 2010 4:59 PM | Report abuse

That said, the Post's "Caps Bar" analysis is Terrible. Seriuosly:

- For home games go to a bar near Verizon.
- For away games stick to the Orange Line.

I looked at the map and spit out my water. Just lame

Posted by: WaPoLiveFan16 | April 15, 2010 5:01 PM | Report abuse

People get ready, there's a train comin'
You don't need no baggage, you just get on board
All you need is faith to hear the diesels hummin'
You don't need no ticket you just thank the Lord (Stanley)

Posted by: terlin1 | April 15, 2010 5:05 PM | Report abuse

Hey Tarik! I'm looking for a Caps bar in NYC - that's not Standings, because I'm not 21 yet :-(

Any suggestions or websites you've discovered for Caps bars across the country?

Posted by: gocaps99 | April 15, 2010 5:09 PM | Report abuse

How about some feature on Caps bars in some Northern Virginia spots beyond Arlington? :) I have a couple buddies who want to meet up in Reston for a game at somep oint, and I don't really know what's a Caps-friendly bar to meet up there.

Posted by: blackjack65 | April 15, 2010 5:20 PM | Report abuse

From the article: "At this time of the year, the last place you want to be cheering for Ovechkin, Backstrom and whoever the goalie is this week is on your couch."

Actually, I disagree with this. I would much prefer to watch the games at home with a family and friends, not at a bar where my seat might be at a bad angle to the TV and the game commentary is drowned out by a bunch of drunks.

Posted by: tess2201 | April 15, 2010 5:21 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: tess2201 | April 15, 2010 5:22 PM | Report abuse

Sorry for the double post!

Posted by: tess2201 | April 15, 2010 5:24 PM | Report abuse

I have washed myself of all the years of Caps playoff despair, in order to allow my spirit to move toward the bright red light from which beckons something shiny and silver. Please Lord Stanley, we have wandered the playoff desert for 35 years in the hopes of hoisting your Cup and drinking it's red wine (or Miller Lite, whichever you prefer). GO CAPS it is time to bring it home!

Posted by: kcbrichmond | April 15, 2010 5:39 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: kcbrichmond | April 15, 2010 5:42 PM | Report abuse

Sorry for the double post, computer slow... Go Caps!

Posted by: kcbrichmond | April 15, 2010 5:44 PM | Report abuse

One bar I frequent will have the game on and that is Fat Tuesday's in Fairfax across from GMU. A good number of regulars and the bartenders are all big fans. They may or may not have the sound on, but it will be on there on multiple TV's.

Posted by: FusilliJerry1 | April 15, 2010 6:11 PM | Report abuse

I like a previous poster's attitude - whatever happens, happens. It's up to them, if they want it bad enough they will get it. I wish them every success and all the good luck in the world.

Posted by: FloridaCapsFan | April 15, 2010 6:30 PM | Report abuse

We could probably drive ourselves crazy wondering: who do want to face in the second round.

To put this to rest, here's my analysis (I left out NJD and BUF because we would not face them in the second round; we would only face PIT in the second round if both NJD and BUF also win their respective series'):

(PART 1 of 4)

PHI
Why we would want to face them: Their goaltending has been more or less awful this season--except for the excellent last game against NYR. Thier locker room is in turmoil, and Pronger has not turned out to be all-that in the regular season. Caps have done well againt them this year.
Why we wouldn't want to face them: PHI is as they have always been--a physical team with a roster-wide mean streak bordering on psychosis. If we draw them in the second round, our key players' getting too banged-up to compete in the Conference Final would be almost as bad as losing.

(more to come...)

Posted by: Rhino40 | April 15, 2010 6:38 PM | Report abuse

(PART 2 of 4)

BOS
Why we would want to face them: BOS is--to put it mildly--not the offensive juggernaut they were last year. Moreover, I consider the SO loss in the season finale to be an aberration; the Caps mostly weren't going full throttle. Bottom line is BOS has a real problem scoring goals in quantity. With both teams putting their pedals to the respective metal, BOS just doesn't have the horses to run with our boys.
Why we wouldn't want to face them: Rask has been an über-hot goaltender this year. Thomas could become one again at any time. Also, while I agree that Mike Green should have gotten the Norris Trophy last year, I also don't think that Zdeno Chara won it just because the writers wanted to give it to a player not named Lidstrom. The guy is huge and has a slapper from the point that is almost Oviesque in its potential to seriously injure people. Lastly, BOS shares that Original Six mojo with DET, CHI, and MTL that cannot be ignored. Also The Bruins have signed a pact with Satan (yes, I'm talking about Miro) who has been somewhat of a Caps-killer througout his career.

(More to come...)

Posted by: Rhino40 | April 15, 2010 6:39 PM | Report abuse

I WILL BE SITTIN' ON MY COUCH!

Alan May just said that he thought that THEO was one of 2 of the BEST goalies in the Eastern Conf all season!

WOW

DROP IT!

GO CAAAAAAAAPS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: wtf_e_fehr | April 15, 2010 6:39 PM | Report abuse

(PART 3 of 4)

PIT
Why we would want to face them: I could go on all day about this. We swept them in the regular season; they aren't what they were last year, while we are better; MAF is not an über-goalie by any stretch. Their loss of Gill and Scuderi to trades/free agency while we added Knuble, et al. equals out to us scoring more than ever from the dirty areas; meanwhile Sid-The-Id no longer seems to have a free pass to park next to our net. History: a chance to get that goddamn monkey off our backs once and for all. Also, the Pengiuns signed a pact with Satan (no, I'm not talking about Miro--see BOS) which may be coming due right about...now.
Why we wouldn't want to face them: History: Those evil bastards have almost always seemed to get the best of us in the postseason. If they do it again, their trolls--excuse me--fans will be more insufferable than ever, and I would predict a spike in the local suicide rate. Also, the Penguins signed a pact with Satan which may not have fallen due just yet.

(Conclusion to come...)

Posted by: Rhino40 | April 15, 2010 6:44 PM | Report abuse

(PART 4 of 4)

OTT
Why we would want to face them: OTT is a balanced team with few weaknesses, but has also been streaky during the regular season. If the Caps come out guns blazing, stay out of the box, and don't take their foot off of the gas they will triumph--otherwise we'll have to hope that the Sens are on a down-cycle or banged-up after dispatching PIT. Also facing OTT means the Sons of Beelzebub--excuse me--the Penguins--are DONE!!!
Why we wouldn't want to face them: OTT is one of the very few teams in the Eastern Conference that our Caps have not thoroughly dominated--they have given us fits all season, and went on a mid-season tear second only to the Caps' 14-game run. Their skilled, speedy forwards and agressive forecheck are big assets, and Volchenkov has proven adept at neutralizing the Great 8. With only number-of-games-played separating Brian Elliot from Vezina Trophy consideration, these guys gould be the only ones capable of stifling our offense in the second round.

Anyhoo, that's my Take.

Bottom line: we get who we get, and what happens, happens. Menawhile, let's TCB against the Habs. Phlatten those Phrogs!

Posted by: Rhino40 | April 15, 2010 6:45 PM | Report abuse

Question for TEB and the other fine folks at WaPo/CI:

When I see a meesage "held for approval", does than mean someone over there may actually read it before deciding to allow it through, or does it really just disappear into cyber-oblivion?

Either was, what's the threshhold? I need to know so that I can avoid crossing that line needlessly with future posts.

Respectfully,

Rhino40

Posted by: Rhino40 | April 15, 2010 6:53 PM | Report abuse

What about fans living in the outlying areas who can't get downtown???

Posted by: Rhino40 | April 15, 2010 6:58 PM | Report abuse