Will Brashear Be Back?

I'm hearing that enforcer Donald Brashear's future with the Caps could be determined next week, when he speaks to GM George McPhee.

Brashear, who is scheduled to become an unrestricted free agent on July 1, will represent himself in the discussion with McPhee.

It's unclear if McPhee plans to ask Brashear, 37, to play for less than the $1.2 million he earned this season. It's also unclear if Brashear would consider accepting less to come back to Washington, where he's popular among his teammates and a locker room leader.

But this much we do know: In each of Brashear's two previous seasons with the Caps, he and McPhee had agreed upon an extension long before now (he re-signed in midseason in 2006-07 and 2007-08). So that tells me there are reservations on the part of the Caps.

Stay tuned on this one.

By Tarik El-Bashir  |  June 5, 2009; 3:51 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Poll: Who Do You Have Winning the Cup?
Next: Bears' Alzner Expects to Return Tonight

Comments

I hope he comes back.

Posted by: whiteltng | June 5, 2009 3:54 PM | Report abuse

Best Option here would be

--they let Brashear go and replace him with a quicker more explosive youthful version. He doesn't have to be in Brashear's class, but should be at least in the Orr/Cote class

That way you still get a guy able to fight the tougher players so folks like Brads and Clark don't get their butts handed to them. And you get a quicker forechecker and more prolific hitting.

Posted by: cstanton1 | June 5, 2009 3:56 PM | Report abuse

as much as I love brash, I agree with Tarik's assessment. When there wasn't an extension done before March, I started wondering if many he didn't fit into the Caps' future plans.

Posted by: RedBirdie | June 5, 2009 4:10 PM | Report abuse

would love to see brash back, but we've got to prioritize here. with the cap the way it is, every $1M could be precious. think they need to resolve feds first, then deal w/ arbitration for mo, etc. see if fehr heals up, try and move theo, etc. if brash needs to take some russian money and run, so be it. otherwise, brash can cool his heels and wait for the call.

Posted by: dcsportsfan1 | June 5, 2009 4:15 PM | Report abuse

Turnover is something we'll have to get used to. Sometimes it is addition by subtraction too. Guys like Brash, Kozlov, and Feds have helped this team out tremendously (and not just with their on ice contributions). Going forward we're going to need more tweaks and more youth infused in the lineup, with our current group of young stars and leaders like a Laich or a Bradley need to step up into more veteran-like roles.

Posted by: Davethecapsfan | June 5, 2009 4:17 PM | Report abuse

last time Brash fought he fell down and hurt himself....take his 1.2 and get younger and faster.....brash is done

Posted by: wendel2 | June 5, 2009 4:19 PM | Report abuse

If we let him go, I hope we dont go the route of Philly and Pitsburgh with worthless goons like Cote and Goddard.

I know Brashear is slower and old, but he threw good hits, and on occasion could run a cycle down low...I wish he would of sat in the crease more though...

Posted by: SA-Town | June 5, 2009 4:29 PM | Report abuse

I'll be really disappointed if he isn't signed. Not everyone on the team has to be 17 years old to contribute something.

Posted by: AMEason52 | June 5, 2009 4:30 PM | Report abuse

@wendel2: You don't see anyone taking pleasure in you being a tool, why go there with your response on Brashear? He deserves respect when it comes to something like this life-changing decision. We don't need mentally challenged folk like yourself dancing on his gravemarker just yet. Settle down or we'll send him over to your house!

Posted by: LeftCoastCapsFan | June 5, 2009 4:35 PM | Report abuse

I like Brashear but it would be nice if the caps, to a man, just stood up for each other. Much more intimidating and relying on one guy to act as a "deterrent" didn't seem to work out so well anyway. The guys dishing cheap shots are not usually willing to go with Brash.

Posted by: honed | June 5, 2009 4:36 PM | Report abuse

if Brashear is not signed, GMGM better have a legit backup. seriously people; we need an enforcer! Brash may be 37 and may have lost in a TKO to Belak, but I guarantee you that most others NHL enforcers would rather not meet up with Brash's left. also he does hit pretty well. wears down opposing D.

Posted by: doughless | June 5, 2009 4:37 PM | Report abuse

hey left coast
I dont think we should resign Brashear at any cost so what makes u right. It's my opinion so if u want to call me a tool or retarded go ahead or threaten go ahead............ps after doing all that i got 2 words for u ....can u guess them?

Posted by: wendel2 | June 5, 2009 4:42 PM | Report abuse

did i mention that i hate the pens?!?!?!

Posted by: doughless | June 5, 2009 4:45 PM | Report abuse

@wendel2: "You're right." 2 words.

You could make your point and not be an insulting tool. And if you honestly took the threat of me sending Brashear over, it's no wonder you made your comment with no respect to the player and what implications of whether he gets asked to sign back on with us or not really is. But of course, you're a hockey fan, you don't care if Brashear has his kids' future to think about. Just as long as you get to play God and not be held accountable for being obnoxious. Kudos to you! Must be great being you.

Try just stating "We don't need to resign Brashear because he was ineffective the past couple of months." Got the point across and you don't sound like a boob. Try it sometime.

Posted by: LeftCoastCapsFan | June 5, 2009 4:54 PM | Report abuse

@wendel2: I re-read your initial post and it read more like you were taunting Brash to take his $1.2 mil and try to get younger and younger and faster, when that's obviously not going to happen. My bad. My apologies.

Posted by: LeftCoastCapsFan | June 5, 2009 4:56 PM | Report abuse

amazing, fights break out when mearly discussing brash...leftcoast gets 2 and 10 for instigating and will be fined for instigating with less than 5 minutes left in the work day...

Posted by: dcsportsfan1 | June 5, 2009 5:00 PM | Report abuse

Can't we all just get along?

Posted by: AMEason52 | June 5, 2009 5:05 PM | Report abuse

tks left coast maybe u could proof read all my posts to make sure they are politically correct warm and fuzzy....on second thought dont worry about it...just go on ranting and raving about an assumed slur then realize u were out to lunch and say.... Sorry!!!

Posted by: wendel2 | June 5, 2009 5:52 PM | Report abuse

I have continued to wish and hope that Brash will re-sign, as he is one of my favorite Capitals. And I am very happy, for the most part, to see the support for him returning.
Brashear is still a top enforcer who makes great hits on the forth line and has good chemistry with our core players. One tag by Belak does not take that away from him.
I expect to continue wearing my, "My #87 can beat up your #87" tee shirt next season. Let's go Caps!

Posted by: capsfan01 | June 5, 2009 6:15 PM | Report abuse

The problem is really not Brash's salary. 1.2 mil is pretty cheap and if we get a younger, faster guy from Hershey, we might save, what? $300,000? That's really nothing. What's important is that he occupies a spot in our lineup that could go to a better skilled, gritty player that can play more than 5-6 minutes per game. Jay Beagle perhaps? If we part with Brash, I hope he goes to the west coast.

Posted by: Andoy | June 5, 2009 6:16 PM | Report abuse

Andoy, I agree with you about the salary. $1.2 isn't overly expensive and a "Jay Beagle" is young and will continue to ask for much more in the future. But, I have to disagree that getting a "Beagle" will do the trick. Brash is a forth liner who doesn't need to play more than 8 minutes. He needs to hit; he successfully does that, and he needs to be an enforcer; he does that as well. No one can fill his skates, but him.

Posted by: capsfan01 | June 5, 2009 7:39 PM | Report abuse

The Caps should think twice about this. Brashear is feared by alot of players in the NHL, and therefore provides some security for Ovechkin, Semin, etc... His line usually hustles and plays hard. I see no one else in the Caps system who is a solid enforcer type. I would suggest keeping him. The NHL completely overreacted to his actions in the Ranger series. He was "guilty by reputation".

Posted by: kcbrichmond | June 5, 2009 8:35 PM | Report abuse

I don't think we need a 4th line enforcer. We need more toughness on the top lines other than Ovie. I agree with the masses here... let Brash go with our deepest thanks!

Posted by: dsphvywght | June 5, 2009 9:03 PM | Report abuse

kcbrichmond: I agree. If he is willing to play for what the team can afford, the Caps should keep Brashear until he can be replaced by someone skilled enough to play in the NHL, spirited enough to be willing to protect, & big and strong enough to consistently win. Someone who could fill all of those shoes may well earn the respect & admiration of his teammates.

Posted by: uncatim | June 5, 2009 9:21 PM | Report abuse

I maintain that the one-shot by Belak that took him down only took Brash down because he was trying to regain his footing after his foot slid forward, and when Belak hit him, the timing was such that his knee buckled underneath him and he went down wrong. That is the sole reason Belak got the TKO on him; I've watched him take harder hits on and off all season.

The question on whether to resign him or not has to do with which direction we are taking the team. If we are heading in the footsteps of the Red Wings (whom I have heard more than one person compare the Caps to, for what they might look like when they grow up), then fewer penalties is probably a good thing. The Wings were the second-least-penalized team in the NHL this past year. Who is their "Enforcer"?

In today's NHL, with the instigator rule, it is very difficult for the Enforcer type player to do his "job," which is to beat the snot out of guys who are doing bad things without the referees calling them on it, bluntly. But what good is an Enforcer if every time he puts the smack-down on somebody, he gets suspended? Not very.

But it's a tough call. I *like* Brash. I think he's both a good man and one of the best Enforcers in the League. He's got a good heart, and he's good in the locker room. Is he "done?" I don't believe so. But I'm not sure we should resign him. We have Jay Beagle, and, if it comes right down to brass tacks, both Graham Mink and Grant McNeill, not to mention Chris Bourque, have all dropped the gloves in Hershey. McNeill spent several weeks out with a broken hand, which may be why we never saw him with the "big club" this seaosn. There's also Stefan Della Rovere, though he's more of a "pest" type player than an enforcer, and right now, he's sitting the rest of the playoffs out at home, because that's where the Bears sent him.

Do I want to keep Brash? Sure. I like him. But objectively, if he wants the same money he got last year, I don't believe we should - or will - re-sign him.

Posted by: irockthered | June 5, 2009 11:44 PM | Report abuse

Mike Babcock :) I mean, would you mess with a guy who looks like he might be a serial ax murderer in the off season? in Geno turns up "missing" I know who I'd be looking at first!

(I say this totally in jest, based solely on nothing than Babcock's I cannot believe you seriously asked me such a dumb question demeanor in dealing with the press and the generally PO'ed expression he has all the time. I personally think he's hilarious)

Posted by: RedBirdie | June 5, 2009 11:56 PM | Report abuse

Re: Penalties and Pittsburgh - The problem isn't in the penalties that ARE being called. Those are legitimate. I only saw a couple of penalties during our series with the Penguins that were called incorrectly. That's reasonable; the refs are human.

It's the NON called things that are the problem. I'm not *saying* - and note, I never did - that the penalties that have been called didn't deserve to be called. What I *am* saying is this:

1) The reason the Penguins have more penalties than the Red Wings in their series is because of THREE that went to ONE PLAYER (namely Malkin) in a single game.

2) The jerseys coming off in that fight should have resulted in a game misconduct for each of the two combatants under the jersey tie-down rule (see Semin's fight where his jersey came off).

3) Malkin was called as an instigator in the last five minutes (last 18 seconds!) of the game. This SHOULD have resulted in a suspension for Malkin for one game. It also should have resulted in a game misconduct. That would have been TWO game misconducts in the same game, which would have upped the one game suspension to two. This is straight out of the rulebook, and I'll cite rules if asked.

Had that game gone to overtime, and had the overtime lasted longer than 10 minutes, Malkin would have been back, when he should have been OUT for the instigator penalty.

In our series with the Penguins, in game 7, I counted at LEAST three things that the Penguins got away with. Just because they're getting called for *some* things in some games - and they got NO penalties in game 7 against us - does NOT mean that they are being called for everything that they do. Yes, this can go either way. But if you look at the Red Wings - 2nd least-penalized team in the League in the regular season - and the Penguins - 13th - you will see the disparity... and the fact the Penguins have "three more penalties" is irrelevant. They are NOT getting called for half the things they do out there, and it is making a difference when the other team gets called for everything.

Whether the "conspiracy" is reality or not is irrelevant. It is the PERCEPTION in this case that is relevant, and the perception is that the Penguins are cheating their way to the Cup and the NHL is allowing it.

Six men on the ice for over half a minute, and no penalty called? Ridiculous.

Posted by: irockthered | June 5, 2009 11:56 PM | Report abuse

@RedBirdie - LOL! Very perceptive of you. :-)

Posted by: irockthered | June 6, 2009 12:00 AM | Report abuse

I thought Zetters and Malkin both got the game miscounducts for the not having their jerseys tied down? Or did they just getting fighting majors? (so many penalties not called, so hard to keep track of them!)

I don't believe the Wings are getting called for everything--they're getting away with some things, too, but they're certainly:
a) not getting away with nearly as much, and have been called for milder versions of the same things the Penguins do without getting called; and
b) are not committing what I call "dirty" penalties at the same rate as the penguins, such as slew footing, interference, or dangerous cross checks;

Never mind, of course, about the six men on the ice for close to 30 seconds and obvious off-sides that lead to goals and the fact that the Penguins cheated on close to every face-off in Pittsburgh and Pittsburgh players committing acts that mandate mandatory suspensions only to not be suspended.

As I said over on the Bog, Bettman's NHL make's Selig's MLB look like the very definition of professional integrity. And that's very hard to do.

Malkin's new nickname should be "Slew."

Posted by: RedBirdie | June 6, 2009 12:22 AM | Report abuse

It sounds like the Pens are getting away with alot. It's almost as if Bettman wants to do all it can to award the Pens the Stanley Cup. (How did Crosby become such a fair haired boy when he seems like such a douchbag.)

Posted by: CapsFan75 | June 6, 2009 12:49 AM | Report abuse

@CapsFan75 - He's Canadian? I don't buy that part, but he is young, and he is undoubtedly a good hockey player. If he were gracious as a winner or a loser (giving credit where it is due) and he didn't whine all the time, he might deserve the accolades. But, IMO, he doesn't.

Posted by: irockthered | June 6, 2009 12:54 AM | Report abuse

@RedBirdie - No, no game misconducts were issued.

Malkin:
- Instigator
- fighting major
- 10 minute misconduct (should have been game misconduct)

Zetters
- fighting major

Posted by: irockthered | June 6, 2009 12:56 AM | Report abuse

Can you see Crosby doing something so spectacular that it becomes "oh my god, dis you see that?!" or setting a new standard to which his hockey peers aspire to or re-writing record books or, well, anything at all other than being a "very good" player?

Yeah, I don't either.

I can't wait for him to retire, if only so former teammates will be willing to say what they really think of him!

Posted by: RedBirdie | June 6, 2009 1:04 AM | Report abuse

I don't think Chris Borque fighting in the AHL (or the other 2 AHLers named) can be compared to Brash fighting in the NHL.
And from the latest articles (SI, for example, polled 300 NHL players. Over 96% don't want to ban fighting in the NHL), the likely return of Ray Emery, and a fan base that wants to keep the fighting rules as they are it seems that fighting in the NHL isn't going anywhere anytime soon. And neither should Brashear.

Posted by: capsfan01 | June 6, 2009 1:07 AM | Report abuse

South Carolina 3
Alaska 1

About midway through the third

Posted by: TheSkyIsntFalling | June 6, 2009 1:18 AM | Report abuse

Still 3-1 South Carolina less than two minutes to go!

Posted by: larryn703 | June 6, 2009 1:32 AM | Report abuse

South Carolina 4
Alaska 2

Winna winna chicken dinna!

Posted by: TheSkyIsntFalling | June 6, 2009 1:35 AM | Report abuse

The Stingrays made it exciting there at the end, going down shorthanded after the Aces cut it to one. Nice to get that empty netter to close it out!

Posted by: larryn703 | June 6, 2009 1:47 AM | Report abuse

@RedBirdie

We'll have a long way to wait until Crosby retires -- that's the trouble. My kids will be in their late 30's (with my first probably 40). I hope I'll be alive then. (My goal is to remain alive to see Ovi inducted into the Hall of Fame and attend the game where his number gets retired.) I was too busy with kids' activities to see Ripken's HOF induction.

Posted by: CapsFan75 | June 6, 2009 6:54 AM | Report abuse

@larryn703

The Rays are truly behaving like Baby Caps. Too bad Nik Kashirsky couldn't be there (since his jaw was broken in 2 places and they left him back.)

Posted by: CapsFan75 | June 6, 2009 6:57 AM | Report abuse

Can not justify 1.2M or anything close for 6 minutes per game when we have a boatload of talent waiting for opportunities to play. I'm a Brashear fan.

Posted by: JSchon | June 6, 2009 8:18 AM | Report abuse

Can't justify

Posted by: JSchon | June 6, 2009 8:21 AM | Report abuse

My opinion on Brash is simple. You don't need an enforcer until someone starts taking liberties with your stars. OV has said in the past that he got less cheap shots with brash on the team than without. If someone cheapshots OV every caps fan would be screaming for retaliation. Brashs presence prevents cheapshots and if necessary takes care of the offender. I suppose Erskine could do the job but he is a D and has concussion problems. Other than Erskine we have no one who can matchup with the other heavyweights in the league. All I want out of an enforcer is someone who can cycle the puck, hit, and beats the crap out of flyers. If its not Brash we need to sign someone because bradley and clark can't do the job.

Posted by: caps512 | June 6, 2009 8:55 AM | Report abuse

Go BEARS!

GO RED WINGS!

Posted by: rachel216 | June 6, 2009 9:10 AM | Report abuse

Brash has to be affordable or his replacement needs to be able to win fights & play in the NHL. Bourque can probably play, he is too small to win consistently. I don't know that other Bears capable of enforcing can play well enough to move up. Maybe Brash will take a pay cut (but I wouldn't bet on that).

I can't wait to get to the Giant Center tonight! Bears Woo!

Posted by: uncatim | June 6, 2009 9:11 AM | Report abuse

If Pittsburgh wins tonight, I am going to avoid any and all national sports websites for the next 60 days. I do not want to read the fawning over Crosby and Company.

Does anyone on here work for Congress? I'd like to see if we can get some legislation going through which Pittsburgh sports fans, when they move across state lines, are forced to wear muzzles. (Notice... got it through the ICC clause... huh?)

Posted by: Matt23185 | June 6, 2009 10:24 AM | Report abuse

Okay.. so I'm playing at Kettler yesterday, and afterwards I'm walking to my car.. and there's an SUV with Caps decals on it. Nothing out of the ordinary, right? Then I get closer, and there's a STEELERS STICKER amongst the Caps stickers! After I fought my way back through the space-time vortex that had suddenly opened up, I shook my head in confusion and disgust and went on my way. WEIRD.

Posted by: thiazzi | June 6, 2009 10:47 AM | Report abuse

thiazzi: That is weird. Would really like to know how that person became a fan of both teams.

---
Everyone going to tonight's game is sooooooo lucky! :/ I'll be listening to it on the radio. Hopefully Neuvy has a great game and the Bears retake the series lead. Also hope the Red Wings pound the Pens tonight. I'm actually hoping for the Wings to win tonight, for the Pens to win game 6, and the Wings win game 7, with Marian Hossa scoring in OT!! Wouldn't that be great?! :)

Posted by: rachel216 | June 6, 2009 10:55 AM | Report abuse

I wasn't at Kettler yesterday but I am a Pgh native who is a huge Capitals fan as well as a huge Steelers fan. Also a Bears fan who hates both the pens & the baby pens. My truck sports stickers for the Capitals, Steelers, & Hershey Bears. IU actually love the city of Pittsburgh and her people, except when they are rooting for the despicable flightless fowl. I have come quite close to blows in and around the VC with those interlopers.

Posted by: uncatim | June 6, 2009 11:09 AM | Report abuse

I am also a Caps fan AND a Steelers fan. Orioles are my baseball team though I continually ask myself why. I never had a favorite football team till I went to college and roomed with a Pittsburgh native who was a rabid Steelers fan and converted me. But I will never be a Penguins fan, and never never never cheer for any team from Philly.

Posted by: tess2201 | June 6, 2009 12:24 PM | Report abuse

Re: uncatim

I'm also a Steelers fan (since the 70s) and a CAPs STH going on 4 years now. It sounds like my SUV but I wasn't at Kettler eithor even though we'll be there alot for the rookie camp and training camp events. I'm originally from upstate NY and have never liked the Pens, Isles, or Rags. Relocated to this area 4 years ago so people need to accept us how we are.

Posted by: _LFR | June 6, 2009 12:26 PM | Report abuse

I personally wouldn't mind seeing Brash back for at least one more season. He's grown on me since I first heard of him.

There's a Bears game tonight, and I am PUMPED! Hopefully we'll win all three at home, because I have a feeling Mikey's getting at least one shutout on the moose this weekend.

So the Wings and Pens series is tied now? Geez... I want the Wings to get this Cup just so Crysby doesn't.

Posted by: 4RBears | June 6, 2009 12:43 PM | Report abuse

JSchon; it's no about the talent waiting to play. It's about the players like Ovie, Semin, and Baskstrom who need an enforcer to make sure that they have room to play w/o purposefully being injured.
Cap512; I like your post... "someone to beat the crap out of the Flyers". And you are correct, Erskine can't afford a head injury, and Bradley and Laich can't do the job.
A couple of posters continue to say that they want someone who is Brashear's equivalent w/o the pay. No such person exists. Even a relatively comparable AHL player who can enforce (if there even is one) is not going to cost much less.
With the Rangers and Flyers, and the like, in our division we need a strong enforcer. Even the players agree that Brash makes a difference. They also have plead on Brashear's behalf to re-sign. Hope it can be worked out between Brash and GMGM over coming week. Also, I can't wait for our season to begin... I'm having Capitals withdraws ):-(

Posted by: capsfan01 | June 6, 2009 2:36 PM | Report abuse

On Steelers fans in this region. My husband used to like the Steelers, but not as well as the Redskins, at least until the Ravens came to Baltimore. (He needed an AFC rooting interest. But he's a Caps fan -- used to be a Flyers fan until the Caps came into being. (He's lived in Philly and Richmond, VA and Richmond used to be the home of the Flyers farm team.)

As for the Steelers, they are good for one thing -- beating Dallas in the superbowl. They're in the other conference, as far as I'm concerned so my passions don't run that strongly about them. Overall, I've hated Pittsburgh teams. Used to hate the Pirates for beating out the St. Louis Cardinals for a division title back in the 70's and beating the O's in the 1979 series. And have NEVER liked the Penguins and hate them more after this year.

(With my husband a Philly fan, after the Nats, O's, and Braves, I've rooted for them, too, especially in the 70's when they had all kinds of ex-Cardinals and they were not Pittsburgh.)

Posted by: CapsFan75 | June 6, 2009 3:40 PM | Report abuse

@capsfan01

Brash has been useful to the Caps. The main problem with him now is the fact that he's 37 and more injury prone. So that's why signing him is more iffy. He has played a fair number of minutes for an enforcer. (Many more minutes than Colton Orr or Cote of the Flyers.) And he's loved by his teammates.

Still, I was surprised that he didn't come back for Game 6 of the Pitt series. (Given that he didn't come back as soon as he was eligible leads me to believe that he's probably history.)

So now it may be time to give some of the prospects a chance.

Posted by: CapsFan75 | June 6, 2009 3:45 PM | Report abuse

He didn't come back in game 6 because he has a target on his back and the refs were already unevenly calling penalties on the Caps. Beagle, his younger replacement, did not play as well as Brash or more minutes.

Posted by: capsfan01 | June 6, 2009 4:02 PM | Report abuse

@capsfan01

Beagle had next to no ice time in the playoffs.

It seems that the Caps have had terrible luck when Beagle's been up. He was the replacement when both Kozzie and Semin were out against the Rangers, as well as being, essentially, the guy replacing Kozzie on the roster.

(I concede that the losing wasn't all his fault and Beagle probably deserves a longer look in training cap, along with our other prospects.)

Posted by: CapsFan75 | June 6, 2009 4:30 PM | Report abuse

I like Brashear but the reason he didnt come back for games 6 and 7 against Pittsburgh was because he just isnt quick enough to catch up and effectively forecheck. He can still make hits and play but the playoffs are a entirely different game. The Capitals need to realize this and the sooner the better. You need to dump the puck in and chase/set up your offense. Using all skill and finesse usually wont get you far. (See Semin repeatedly get slammed into the boards) If they can find somebody quicker that can check and play playoff hockey then they should take the 1.2M and funnel it elsewhere. If he will take a pay cut then take a look at it. This team is still young and has guys still coming up that should help out and this team should be a fixture in the playoffs given good health. It is time to start looking at how to go farther once in the playoffs.

Posted by: Killerangel81 | June 6, 2009 4:46 PM | Report abuse

Capsfan75; "Beagle had next to no ice time" that was my point exactly. Someone posted that we don't need Brash bec he doesn't play much and we should give the roster spot to someone like Beagle who will have more ice time. Brash doesn't get much ice time and neither does Beagle. Any forward on the forth line isn't going to be on the ice too much. Hence, it's good to have an enforcer in that spot; kill two birds with one stone.
Killerange81; I don't agree w your assessment as to why Brash didn't come back. I think it has to do more w the penalties. And BB just didn't want to risk it. But you are right that playoff hockey is different than regular season hockey. But you still have to a whole season to play to make it to the playoffs. And we should have Brash during the regular season to insure fair play for our finesse players. I think $1.2 isn't too much for Brash. He does want to come back and would rather be here than Russia or elsewhere. If possible, maybe he will accept a small pay cut. But really only GM knows the money he has w which to play.

Posted by: capsfan01 | June 6, 2009 6:21 PM | Report abuse

ummmm, I don't know how to put this diplomatically but as far as Brash is concerned, who the heck gives a rats a$$?

He's an enforcer in an era in which they matter less and less. You still need one but I'm sure there are plenty of them out there who are younger and cheaper.

Posted by: joek443 | June 6, 2009 8:14 PM | Report abuse

There is only one Donald. I will miss him and the passing of an era when he is no longer in the NHL.

Posted by: blueplanet8888 | June 7, 2009 3:07 AM | Report abuse

blueplanet8888 there is only one Donald and I will miss him too when he's gone and his era is no longer in the NHL. That time has not come yet and so I am crossing my fingers to see him back in a Capital's sweater and not on another team.

Posted by: capsfan01 | June 7, 2009 11:15 AM | Report abuse