Winter Cassic Set; Game 3 Ratings Up

I wanted to pass along a couple of interesting tidbits I came across today. First, the Blackhawks will host the Red Wings in the Winter Classic at Wrigley Field or Soldier Field next January, according to this report on TSN.ca. Also, NBC says ratings for Game 3 were up 87-percent over last year's Game 3, and that more people in Detroit watched the Red Wings than the Pistons.

Last night's Game 3 of the Stanley Cup Final on NBC earned a 2.8 overnight rating and a 5 share, the best overnight rating for a Game 3 in six years (2002 - Carolina-Detroit, 3.8/8). The Pittsburgh Penguins 3-2 victory over the Detroit Red Wings garnered an 18.2/28 in Detroit, trouncing the Detroit Pistons-Boston Celtics NBA Eastern Conference Final head-to-head by more than 14 percent in "Hockeytown" (15.9/24).

Interesting, indeed.

By Tarik El-Bashir  |  May 29, 2008; 2:02 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Ovechkin: Fedorov Wants to Stay
Next: Ovechkin to Introduce Signature Clothing Line

Comments

And what a great game it was too!

Posted by: E | May 29, 2008 2:31 PM | Report abuse

Thank you to all who backed up my rant on the previous post.
Tarik's latest post kind of says it all, which translates to the fact that the Post sports will - contrary to what they should be doing - continue to cover the out-of-town teams NBA playoffs on the front page over a beauty of a photo of OV collecting HUGE trophies. SHAMEFUL.

Posted by: post sports stinks | May 29, 2008 2:39 PM | Report abuse

the commentators on NBC stink!

Posted by: doughless | May 29, 2008 2:59 PM | Report abuse

On a side note, my condolences to the Bourdon family.

Posted by: Thomas | May 29, 2008 3:05 PM | Report abuse

Man, I thought the Caps would get tapped for the Winter Classic - who wouldn't want to see Ovie in that?!? That's a bummer ...

Posted by: Boo! | May 29, 2008 3:12 PM | Report abuse

Hawks/Wings shoudl be a great game for the national stage, especially with the way that Chicago has improved in the last year. Much better choice than Rangers/Islanders that had been rumored.

Posted by: RobMonroe | May 29, 2008 3:20 PM | Report abuse

Man, Wilbon isn't going to like the NHL outdrawing the NBA in Detroit !

Posted by: MadCap2008 | May 29, 2008 3:44 PM | Report abuse

I know it's a little late but in case anyone wants to revist last night's interview you can see it here:

it really is a sad display.

Posted by: AP | May 29, 2008 3:54 PM | Report abuse

I am a tool

Posted by: Mike Milbury | May 29, 2008 4:15 PM | Report abuse

I did like OV turning the Dog bit around. That he's a dog and Milburn is a little tiny cat.

Posted by: Greg S. | May 29, 2008 4:15 PM | Report abuse

@Thomas

Yeah, that sucks. I'm a pretty big Canucks fan, and I really enjoyed watching him play. He had all the skills to be a top pairing defenseman in a few years. It seems like yesterday that I saw his interview after his first career goal, and he was so excited.

Posted by: Stephen | May 29, 2008 4:29 PM | Report abuse

hi.

Posted by: new post | May 29, 2008 4:34 PM | Report abuse

The AP is reporting it will be at Wrigley,

Not Soldier Field

So much for that quality reporting.

Posted by: Anonymous | May 29, 2008 5:18 PM | Report abuse

Waaaaa OV wont be in the Winter Classic

They only way he ever will be is if he is shipped North

There is no natural rivalry for the Caps to hold an Outdoor game with.

Philly, Pitt would be risking warm weather in January and obviously, they cant do it in the South, but then again, im sure that ice would be better.

Posted by: Anonymous | May 29, 2008 5:20 PM | Report abuse

@Greg S

I loved the way OV turned it back on Milbury. What's another word for little Cat? I think it rhymes with Wussy....

Posted by: Sombrero Guy | May 29, 2008 5:29 PM | Report abuse

Hockey's TV ratings have been up all season long on just about every network. Anybody notice how the media is ignoring it?

Posted by: Croftonpost | June 3, 2008 9:51 AM | Report abuse