Caps unveil Winter Classic throwback uniform

100210_Unveiling.jpg

The Caps today unveiled their uniforms for the Winter Classic, the New Year's Day showdown against the rival Pittsburgh Penguins at Heinz Field. Alex Ovechkin and former players Rod Langway and Yvon Labre modeled the new (old) look at the Capitals Convention.

Photo above is via the Caps (we'll have some staff photos from the event later). Here's an excerpt from the team's news release:

"There is a great sense of history in playing hockey outdoors, and we wanted to pay tribute to our team's history with this uniform," vice president and general manager George McPhee said. "They turned out very well, got a terrific reaction from our fans and will look fantastic on New Year's Day."
The primary color for the uniform is white and very closely resembles the team's original jersey, worn from 1974-75 through 1994-95. The original Capitals wordmark is featured on the front of the jersey with six stars above it and five stars beneath the numbers on each sleeve. The 2011 Bridgestone NHL Winter Classic logo is featured on the right shoulder of the jersey.
Unlike the original uniforms, which featured blue pants, the Capitals will wear red pants and red helmets for the 2011 Bridgestone NHL Winter Classic.

More from the Caps Convention
*Nonstop Twitter updates: #capscon
*Ovechkin sings happy birthday in Russian. (RMNB)
*After the party, it's the After Party. (Japers' Rink)

By Lindsay Applebaum  | October 2, 2010; 2:03 PM ET
Categories:  Winter Classic
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Capitals 5, Blue Jackets 3
Next: Backstrom out against Predators, Neuvirth to start

Comments

Looks a lot like the kind you could already buy at Kettler. The small patch is a little disappointing.

Posted by: GMUCAPS | October 2, 2010 2:17 PM | Report abuse

I like it. Won't hear me complaining about the uniform.

Posted by: NFeKPo | October 2, 2010 2:30 PM | Report abuse

Beautiful.

Posted by: rustybud | October 2, 2010 2:43 PM | Report abuse

@GMUCAPS. The Winter Classic uniforms are always throwback uniforms. Every one is one that you could have already gotten from CCM or whoever made it when they were used. The only way it wouldn't have been this is if it was either the Eagle uniform or if they actually used the logo they were going to change it to before they decided to just keep using the Capitol building. I do like that they are keeping with the red theme with the pants.

Posted by: icehammer97 | October 2, 2010 2:50 PM | Report abuse

I'm glad Hendricks will be OK, it was a pretty vicious elbow. Thank GOD it wasn't Semin, Flash, Johansson, or any one of our other european players because cstanton1 would be on rant about the eurotrash wimps that don't fight and can't take an NHL hit.

I had a great time at the game last night, and it was nice to get back to Verizon. I've watched a couple of the videostreamed games but the intensity, as always, is much different at the stadium. The Capitals are playing a little ticked off right now IMO. Not tough enough for some obviously but an obvious difference in their attitude. Did anyone else that went to the game sense that? I'm asking people that went, because like I said, the intensity feels much greater in person than watching it on the internet. Guess that's why I enjoy NHL hockey in person more than any other sport.

Posted by: fanohock1 | October 2, 2010 2:52 PM | Report abuse

From previous thread:

zmega: Yeah, I have always found hockey fans to be very loud. I have to tell you though, if you haven't been there since Ovi's arrival you will be amazed if you do. Yesterday's preseason crowd, was more loud, and into the game than most crowds during the regular season pre-lockout. If you are a fan of team that has suffered through the thin years both in wins and attendance the noise level produced for your Capitals sends shivers down your spine.

Posted by: fanohock1 | October 2, 2010 2:59 PM | Report abuse

-fanock--

SVCK it Fanock. As usual you have no rebuttal to anything. Because you can't ustify Semin's lack of action last night your only recourse is to drivel on.

oh yeah, SEMIN STILL IS A EUROTRASH WIMP. As is Sarge.

Thanks for reminding me of that. Glad Ovechkin isn't.

Posted by: cstanton1 | October 2, 2010 3:36 PM | Report abuse

Oh and Fanock, if Semin had been the one on the receiving end of the elbow, he'd probably crumble up into a fetal position and call it a career. Luckily for him, it was a tougher kid on the other end of it.

Posted by: cstanton1 | October 2, 2010 3:38 PM | Report abuse

SOB is on waivers..

Posted by: richmondphil2 | October 2, 2010 3:38 PM | Report abuse

Fanock probably had his delicate senses offended when Ovechkin stuck up for Knuble. O my gosh what is occurring out there! I can just picture it.

Posted by: cstanton1 | October 2, 2010 3:39 PM | Report abuse

Bruce: Hey Erskine, I need you to watch over our little princess Sasha when he's out on the ice.

Ersk: But coach, that little prima donna never sticks up for anyone else. Least of al me. Why the heck should I care about him?

Bruce: Look, you're a fringe player who is only here for his toughness. You need to defend all your teammates, even the ones who don't have your back.

Erks: Got it.

Posted by: cstanton1 | October 2, 2010 3:42 PM | Report abuse

in case anyone hasn't seen it, tsn got to the Caps review today: http://tsn.ca/columnists/?id=336046

Posted by: rh71 | October 2, 2010 3:55 PM | Report abuse

cstanton1:
you’re going to be insufferable if this is how you react to a preseason game. didn’t you once say the regular season is mostly meaningless – just so long as you make the playoffs? in the immortal words of Allen Iverson – it’s practice man – practice

please, please, please spare us of you diatribes of individual 'weak' plays by specific players on a shift by shift basis. this very well could be the LONGEST regular season ever.

you have every right to your opinion – but i don’t think you realize how you are taking the joy out of following the caps for most CI followers.

Posted by: Capt_Kirk_in_AZ | October 2, 2010 4:12 PM | Report abuse

i love the winter classic uniforms. we should wair them year round

Posted by: Nats1924 | October 2, 2010 4:41 PM | Report abuse

i love the winter classic uniforms. we should wair them year round

Posted by: Nats1924 | October 2, 2010 4:41 PM | Report abuse

Love the winter classic uni's We should wair them all the time

Posted by: Nats1924 | October 2, 2010 4:43 PM | Report abuse

Thank you Capt Kirk. Cstanton, I want to say that it isn't anything personal but how couldn't it be? Your obsessive posting and picking 1 bad thing out of every shift is just over the top. And I mean waaaaaaay over! How do you have enough time in a day to just sit here and blow up everybody's post and pick out 1 shift per 5 minutes to find a victim? I know you may have converted Tom over to the dark side but I guess if you keep hearing something over and over and over and over and over and over and over you might tend to form opinoins in that direction. I however don't subscribe to it. Not even close. I think your obsessive negative posts are a closer reflection of your life than of the Caps.

Posted by: pokerfaceI208 | October 2, 2010 4:45 PM | Report abuse

Not impressed. It's not as bad as the penguins new jersey, but it's still pretty ugly. I was hoping we'd get a cool looking winter classic jersey like the Blackhawks and Wings both got 2 years ago. But on the bright side, I guess we'll all save about $200 by not buying one.

Posted by: RockRed | October 2, 2010 5:02 PM | Report abuse

@Pokerface:
CC: Cstanton

On my second day as a regular on these boards, after a full-blown, totally unproductive melee between Cstanton and SGM, I voiced my opinion about how positive discourse can occur on the boards, even among people with drastically different viewpoints. Since my opinion seemed to be unpopular, I promised not to dredge it up again. I will depart from that promise for a moment.

You can improve your experience by ignoring any comments that drive you nuts. Cstanton does not ruin my experience at all. I read his comments, agree with parts of them, and take others with a big grain of salt. What harms my experience on these boards is the constant REPLIES to him that have nothing to do with hockey, or worse, that try to challenge his provocative comments with further provocative comments. You can't diminish his provocation with further provocation. That is what muddies up the boards and makes reading/commenting on hockey issues inefficient. Once Cstanton gets riled by a reply, THAT is when the boards get messy. In a sense, it sounds like I'm calling you out for being one of those people that replies. I don't mean to disrespect you because your inclination is natural. But I call on everybody to ignore non-hockey issues and, if Cstanton annoys you, just don't provoke him. I'd say I probably agree with about 50% of his takes. The one and only time I disagreed with him on the boards, I did it respectfully, and he replied to ME respectfully. Let's all clean the slate, start from scratch, and just turn a deaf ear to inflammatory remarks.

Posted by: struggler | October 2, 2010 5:03 PM | Report abuse

Please, someone give cstanton a Snickers Bar. He has to be hungry. He always acts like a diva when he is hungry.

Posted by: nimrodrsp | October 2, 2010 5:03 PM | Report abuse

THANK YOU, struggler, for being a voice of reason.

nimrodrsp, thanks for the laugh!

Posted by: wocoliz | October 2, 2010 5:35 PM | Report abuse

@cstanton

come on....haha, the sexy lumberjack is not a fringe player

Posted by: _stevo | October 2, 2010 5:44 PM | Report abuse

You are welcome wocoliz. Since Saturday afternoon isn't a hot time for hockey commentary, I might actually save that post in a text file and re-post it occasionally, to try to get the maximum number of regular posters here to see it. Once I'm certain all the regulars have seen it, I'll shut up on the issue forever. I certainly don't mind the occasional funny non-hockey comment, but otherwise I'd like to be able to read hockey commentary without all the annoying fluff.

Posted by: struggler | October 2, 2010 5:49 PM | Report abuse

I like'em!-those sweaters work well when ur applying a Hunter face-wash on the opponent! hehehe

Posted by: Hattrik | October 2, 2010 6:23 PM | Report abuse

@cstanton1: Dance puppet dance. Your reaction was so predicatable. Now that you have pissed on the board and made it your territory you can go back into your glass house and relax. cstanton1 is a weak worthless man? That's my opinion and it is based on years and years of experience that, well, cstanton1, you just don't have. Keep dancing.

Posted by: fanohock1 | October 2, 2010 6:28 PM | Report abuse

The patch on the front is classless. What would it cost to sew separate letters on the team's crest. The NHL makes millions off this game; who made the call to go with $5 patches?

Posted by: capscapscaps2 | October 2, 2010 6:34 PM | Report abuse

@struggler

I get what you are saying about the comments...but likeu said urself u r new here...Ths CONSTANT negatvity without an ounce positive is just plain old annoying now. cstanton is not even constructive with his negativity...he just says that BB and GMGM are plagues to hockey and the Caps will never go anywhere...I am tired of being told how stupid I am for thinking positive sometime...see if your feelings possibly change after a full season...and remember....cstanton is only on pre-season mode right now! He will get worse when the season starts!

Posted by: capscoach | October 2, 2010 6:56 PM | Report abuse

Haha Capscoach, I'll keep your advice in mind!

Funny enough, I'm hypocritical in a way. I tend to be way too wordy when I make my posts, but at the same time I tend not read other people's posts if they drag on too long. Thus, I wind up not reading many of Cstanton's posts, because he's a repeat offender like me in that regard. Plus, my BS meter is as sensitively tuned as an atomic clock, so I recognize bluster when I see it and I just gloss over it.

But when I do read his posts, and when I find something to disagree with, I will continue disagreeing respectfully and hopefully he'll continue responding respectfully.

Now I'M guilty of going on too long about non-hockey topics. Done.

Posted by: struggler | October 2, 2010 7:11 PM | Report abuse

Brian Campbell out at least a month, he was injured in a game last night against the Pens. Too bad for Chicago that they can't blame Ovi this time.

Posted by: MReilly9 | October 2, 2010 7:19 PM | Report abuse

It's great to see Langway back getting involved with the team and the fans. He was more responsible than anyone IMO for turning the Caps into a credible franchise. I hope we see a lot more of him.

Posted by: zmega | October 2, 2010 7:27 PM | Report abuse

Weren't the Caps pants in at least the first one or two seasons red? I seem to remeber an old Greg Joly hockey card with red pants, i thought they went red sometime in season 3-4? Wish they would do the long Cooperall style pants the Caps were going to go to in 1985 before NHL banned them (all blue with the stars and stripe pattern the traditional blue bans has all the way down the leg). Still remember seeing a pair of those hanging up in either Center Ice or Caravan.

Posted by: giffhipcheck | October 2, 2010 7:43 PM | Report abuse

@giffhipcheck

Posted by: MReilly9 | October 2, 2010 7:53 PM | Report abuse

Where's cstanton1 now? I saw a few people knock him and he's gonna? I've seen Semin handle more adversity than that.

I like cstanton1. I don't know about his hockey knowledge, but his searching skills on google to try and impress people with obscure facts is awesome.

See that was a positive comment.

Posted by: will111 | October 2, 2010 8:12 PM | Report abuse

Blue pants and white helmets would have looked a lot better. I guess if that was a deliberate decision, it was to appear more "vintage"?

It also would have been nice to get separately stitched letters for the logo, but this must have been cheaper to produce.

Posted by: Hatfield223 | October 2, 2010 9:07 PM | Report abuse

------
Langway has been pretty closely involved with the team for awhile. He comes to several games every year.

Posted by: Hatfield223 | October 2, 2010 9:17 PM | Report abuse

pokerface/struggler/wocoliz/capscoach:

1) I am not on the Dark Side. I found myself drifting over a few weeks back, due to GMGM not moving Flash or getting a decent #1 D, but the Hendricks signing was like a morphine injection to a heroin addict to keep me from massive shakes. First King was like a morphine shot and now Jimi. Don't worry, I'm not getting a black robe and I won't be drinking any goat blood.

2) as for cstanton, he is extremely knowledgeable and often very insightful. I agree with struggler, take what you can and ignore the rest. I don't know why poor fanohock1 gets so riled up, just like sgm3 before. When he starts calling Semin a female body part, let's remember he's probably not had his goat blood today and maybe even it's time to grab one around the neck for him and slit the throat for a warm feeding.

3) Bottom line: If you take what the Kool-Aiders suggest and then take what the goat sacrificers suggest and split down the middle (just as we could do with political party suggestions) you'd probably find the best practical solution..

So: trade Flash, trade Steckel, trade Erskine, but keep Semin and Schultz and I guess Poti. Take the 3.3 in cap space plus the 5.0 from the three tradees and add back $500K for Hendricks and you have 7.5 for a real #2 center (MaJo and MP can be 3 and 4) and a real #1 D man. You have there a proposal that almost everyone can get on board with, those snorting and even mainlining the Kool-Aid and those with rivulets of goat blood running down their chins.

It is a wise person who will spend time and patience to listen and even to and try and understand the position of the extremists. If nothing else, you will learn where they are and (key) what they might do. In the words of Don Corleone, "Keep your friends close and your enemies closer." In the case here, with a Kool-Aider shouting in one ear, and a goat killer in the other, I can actually make the most informed judgment.

Posted by: tominsocal1 | October 2, 2010 9:26 PM | Report abuse

Actually, the Caps did wear red pants with their home whites in '74, before switching over to the blue pants full time.

Posted by: stwasm | October 2, 2010 9:34 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: RockRed
----------------------------------

I agree. I didn't like the old uniforms and find these pretty fugly, especially the center patch (I believe the real old jersey was a patch for each letter). I always thought the stars were really sort of stupid too. Oh well, they still aren't as bad as the Russian uniforms from the Olympics.

Posted by: LloydChristmas | October 2, 2010 10:33 PM | Report abuse

Correct. The Caps wore red pants at home in their first season (you can see them in the old media guides). At least they didn't wear white skates (like the California Golden Seals)! I love the Cooperall reference. As I recall, only two teams made the switch before the ban: the Flyers and the Hartford Whalers.

Posted by: CAP-lanta | October 2, 2010 10:34 PM | Report abuse

@stwasm

So the Caps had red pants before going to the blue full time. (Gee, 1974 was even before I became a fan of the team.) I remember more blue panes for Caps uniforms.

Posted by: CapsFan75 | October 2, 2010 10:34 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: CAP-lanta | October 2, 2010 10:35 PM | Report abuse

I'm all for throwbacks jerseys but why go back that far and wear the unis of the worst NHL team in history?? they should have chosen the 1980's unis with bigger letters and blue pants.

Posted by: joek443 | October 2, 2010 10:36 PM | Report abuse

Yes, the Caps did wear red pants at home their first season.

And count me as bitterly disappointed that the Caps aren't resurrecting the infamous white pants from 1974-1975.

Posted by: CapsNut | October 2, 2010 10:53 PM | Report abuse

That's right - didn't they wear white pants with the red (away jerseys) back then? When did white become the "road" jersey in the NHL? Teams used to wear white at home.

Posted by: CAP-lanta | October 2, 2010 11:01 PM | Report abuse

So Gabby says he is starting Neuvy opening night.

I hope he changes his mind :/

Posted by: digster1013 | October 3, 2010 1:29 AM | Report abuse

@digster, Why do you hope he changes his mind? Neuvy is a very good goalie and might be the better one on the team but let's put aside that debate for now. Even if you think Varly should be the #1 the first two games are back to back so they are going to split it no matter what. One will get the opener and one will get the home opener. Both will get one of the "opening" games.

Posted by: icehammer97 | October 3, 2010 1:46 AM | Report abuse

"I think that the Caps did begin wearing red pants at the beginning of their first season in 1974 but I believe think that they may have switched to wearing blue pants midway through that first year. Ron Weber would know. Did anyone see him at the Caps Convention today? Not sure if he was there."

Ron Weber was not there. He was out of town. He had put together a video statement that was played before the Gartner/Langway Hall of Fame discussion at 9:15 AM in which he apologized for being unable to come in person.

Regarding the people debating the pants, NHLUniforms.com has a rendering of the original 1974-75 Caps uniforms showing the red pants with white sweaters....and the infamous white pants initially used with the red sweaters:

Posted by: 1995hoo | October 3, 2010 9:14 AM | Report abuse

Is todays game on tv or stream only?

Posted by: guer_j | October 3, 2010 9:53 AM | Report abuse

Any techies out there know how a loophole around the "in market" stipulation?

Posted by: struggler | October 3, 2010 10:51 AM | Report abuse

I don't know how to get around this "in market" crap. but

is ALWAYS a good source. I just now saw that the game is listed as being streamed on the Caps website. and it wasn't 20 minutes ago. As of now http://adthe.net does not have the Caps game listed, but I would check again close to game time to see if it has been updated. PLEASE, if anyone has a stream for the game, PLEASE post it.
Thanks

Posted by: pittshater | October 3, 2010 11:07 AM | Report abuse

Never used this site before, but

has the Caps game listed as being played.

Posted by: pittshater | October 3, 2010 11:15 AM | Report abuse

Really disappointed that they didn't go with the individual sewn-on letters like the originals and went with the crappy, cheap patch....

Posted by: FusilliJerry1 | October 3, 2010 11:16 AM | Report abuse

Thanks Pittshater for the effort. Hopefully one of these will work out.

I also found:

But the site feels suspicious. I'll try it, but doubt it will work.

Posted by: struggler | October 3, 2010 11:34 AM | Report abuse

Since I'm just twiddling my thumbs waiting for this game to start, I guess I'll finally break down and comment on the actual story, which had something to do with jerseys I think... ; )

I am a fan of the old jerseys, which is why the Caps existing jerseys are so popular--they evoke a successful design concept. That said, am I the only one who sees the fiction in teams wearing throwback jerseys for the Winter Classic? is the NHL trying to suggest to the casual sports fan who tunes in that "this is the way they used to look back in the day when they played outside?" Ain't nobody buyin' that!

The Winter Classic is about growing the sport. It's not about passionate fans who dig throwbacks. It's about non-fans who tune in on a major network when nothing else is on, and the entire point of the spectacle is to turn them INTO fans. For that reason, I would suggest to the NHL two possibilities:

A) using the current jerseys without any change. For non-fans who happen to catch a highlight or two on Sportscenter, and hear tidbits like "Ovechkin is the most exciting player in the world" and "Crosby is one of the best players in the world"... the existing jerseys might be the most definitive image that stands out in their mind. They might not even know that it's the Washington Capitals or Pittsburgh Penguins, they just know those jerseys belong to the most exciting players in hockey. So then they tune in to the Winter Classic, see two jerseys they don't recognize, instantly make the connection that these are not the most exciting players in hockey, and turn the channel. I know it's a weak argument. I said I was twiddling my thumbs, right?

B) Use MODERN-looking 3rd jerseys. Casual non-fans are not interested in becoming fans of the 1970s NHL. They want to see something that catches their eyes and draw them in.

Posted by: struggler | October 3, 2010 12:17 PM | Report abuse

Anyone got a live stream that works?

Posted by: pittshater | October 3, 2010 12:42 PM | Report abuse

LIVE STREAM THAT WORKS!!!!!!!!

Be patient, that stupid advertisement over the pic will disappear.
Good luck

Posted by: pittshater | October 3, 2010 12:48 PM | Report abuse

yuck to this jersey design.. seriously, how can you make a hockey player look fat? Epic fail as my students say.. can you imagine how the rest of the fans who aren't professional athletes are gonna look...not attractive ..not to mention the jerseys are too short.. yeah, and the tapered blue stripe..plus yeah, it looks like a cheap iron on patch that someone downloaded for their stuffed animal tee shirt. (I will enjoy making fun of Varly looking fat for once as pay back for his fat cracking jokes...).. And the stars at the top interfere with C so Ovi has a C on the top of his shoulder like a floating object..

I wont be buying it... better luck next redesign...

Posted by: kmr2r | October 5, 2010 9:01 PM | Report abuse