Posted at 12:40 AM ET, 01/ 2/2011

David Steckel says collision with Sidney Crosby in Winter Classic was unintentional

By Katie Carrera

The above video shows the end of the second period, when David Steckel turned up ice and collided with Sidney Crosby, which sent the Pittsburgh captain tumbling to the ground. No one was quite sure what happened on the play at the time, but upon looking at a review, it appears the players were facing in opposite directions and the 6-foot-5 Steckel's right shoulder hit 5-foot-11 Crosby in the left side of the head as he tried to get back into the play.

Asked about the incident after the Capitals' 3-1 win over the Penguins in the Winter Classic, Steckel said it was an accident.

"I didn't even know that I hit him," Steckel said. "I was coming back with the 3-on-3 and when the puck went the other way I was facing one way and I came back joined the rush. I didn't even know it was him until I looked back. I haven't even seen the hit yet, obviously it wasn't intentional. I was just trying to get up to the play and he was there when I turned around I guess."

Said Crosby: "I couldn't even tell you what happened. I think the puck was going the other way and I turned and the next thing I know, I am down. I can't really comment on it. It's pretty far behind the play. Maybe the refs didn't even see it. A lot of people didn't, but I don't know. Got in my head, that's for sure, but I don't even know how it developed."

Pittsburgh Coach Dan Bylsma didn't see the collision, either.

"I did not see it, given the fact that it was behind the play. We don't have a replay," Bylsma said. "I've not seen the replay and the one person that was watching from above thought that there was some -- it was a little bit incidental contact. I don't know exactly what happened at all."

By Katie Carrera  | January 2, 2011; 12:40 AM ET
Categories:  David Steckel, Pittsburgh Penguins, Winter Classic
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Winter Classic: Capitals beat Penguins, 3-1
Next: Semyon Varlamov shines in the Winter Classic

Comments

Yes....UNintentional. Exactly!

Posted by: BarraPuta | January 2, 2011 12:47 AM | Report abuse

Wow, if that hit got in the jackwagon's head as much as he said it did, imagine if we had a big, strong imposing player who could and would do it intentionally? Time for BB to get contributions from everyone, including DJK. Based on how the game ended and the foul-taste left in the Pens mouth, it'd be comforting seeing #17 on the bench next time we meet.

Posted by: vermontcaps | January 2, 2011 12:50 AM | Report abuse

Wow, what a boring hockey game. It's about time the Caps learn how to play grinding, mucking, WINNING hockey. I'm thinking the playoffs maybe actually fun this year (Cup??). Opps, I ran over Cindy Crosby, oh well.

Posted by: chriscaps | January 2, 2011 12:53 AM | Report abuse

The outcry from Don Cherry and Pierre LeBrun (who has already tweeted that Steckel should be suspended) will surely get into good ol' Colin Campbell's head. I expect Steckel to sit 2 games. Nothing rational, mind you - even Crosby said he didn't think it was intentional...

Posted by: vtavgjoe | January 2, 2011 12:55 AM | Report abuse

I don't know the video above is from Hockey Night in Canada and even they said it should have been nothing soI doubt Stecks gets anything.

Posted by: icehammer97 | January 2, 2011 12:59 AM | Report abuse

Completely unintentional. The fact that we are even discussing this shows how far up Crosby's rear-end the Canadian media is.

Viva DC! Viva Caps! We beat the Yinzers!

Posted by: CF11555 | January 2, 2011 2:10 AM | Report abuse

Viva DC! Viva Caps! We beat the Yinzers!

Posted by: CF11555 | January 2, 2011 2:10 AM

CrazyMike27??
i just saw this on TSN

Posted by: Capt_Kirk_in_AZ | January 2, 2011 2:47 AM | Report abuse

Crosby: "Maybe the refs didn't see it."

Sure, and I'll bet they didn't see the wicked stick-on-stick slash Crosby gave in the middle of the game (noted by the NBC team), and I'll also bet they missed the wicked two-hander he gave against John Carlson with one second left in the game.

Posted by: 74umgrad1 | January 2, 2011 7:19 AM | Report abuse

yjr PIGUINS ktusfz ryryzt klmtzarrfq 87 !

SH*TSBURG PLAYED THE LAST 2 MINUITES CREATING A EFFECT THE WILL BE WELCUME 2/6/2011 AT THE PHONE BOOTH ... AS A RETIRED HIGH SCHOOL FOOTBALL COACH THEY ACTED LIKE THEY WAS SPITTING IN YHE CAPS FACES. BUNCH OF POOR SPORTS. BRING IT ON IN FEBUARY YOU BUNCH OF SORRY P**SY'S

Posted by: doggydodo | January 2, 2011 7:36 AM | Report abuse

nbc hockey coverage = the worst I've ever seen or listened to. they need to stop trying to teach us the game and just broadcast the game. couldn't see the puck half the game.

Posted by: hessone | January 2, 2011 9:21 AM | Report abuse

If you watch it, it actually looks like Steckel tried to avoid hitting him. It looks like he tried to tuck his shoulder in to go around him, but Crosby got in his way because his head wasn't up (which is something you are taught early on as a kid, before hitting is even allowed). On top of that, he decided he was going to make a long, sweeping turn instead of a quick stop and then changing direction. And because of that, Steckel took him out accidentally. The whole incident is Crosby's fault. The only reason Steckel's shoulder hit him in the chin is because of their size difference. Crosby's chin is nearly level with Steckel's shoulder.

The media can blame Steckel for "blowing him up", but Crosby wasn't paying attention to his surroundings. A rookie mistake by a veteran. It's as simple as that.

Posted by: shadowlurker1121 | January 2, 2011 9:28 AM | Report abuse

Incidental contact as part of play. This wouldn't even be a discussion if the league's golden boy wasn't involved. If anyone deserves to be suspended, it's Crosby for being such a whining baby. League release to Pittsburgh: Crosby suspended for 2 games for babyishness.

Posted by: randysbailin | January 2, 2011 9:50 AM | Report abuse

did see that penguin sitting on ovie's back and sliding down the ice while punching him in the back of the head. no nbc commentary on that one.

Posted by: Joe901 | January 2, 2011 10:02 AM | Report abuse

stecks tried to avoid him, the replay they showed during the game last night shows stecks tried to go around him but cindy wasn't looking....this video shows different views that make it look worse then it was....

Posted by: bigdummy1 | January 2, 2011 10:22 AM | Report abuse

If you look at the replay, there was a ref right next to the play. It did not feel there was anything wrong with it either.

If it was anyone else besides Crosby, we wouldn't even have a separate blog for the topic.

Posted by: CTCapsPhan | January 2, 2011 10:47 AM | Report abuse

Stecks should hit him harder next time...

Posted by: CapsNut | January 2, 2011 10:55 AM | Report abuse

"It's pretty far behind the play. Maybe the refs didn't even see it"

That quote says it all - dude it was an accident, there was nothing for the refs to even call, so why are you bringing them up? I don't know that I've ever heard a good player whine so much, other than maybe Gretzky, what a baby! Everyone knows incidental contact is part of hockey, we're taught that at age 5 - grow the eff up Sidney!

Man, did Grapes and LeBrun really say that?! Just how far up Sid's @ss can the Canadien hockey media get, anyway?!

Whoever plays Canada today in the world jrs, I sure hope they end their little tourney ride, what a bunch of ill-tempered, overrated babies. Go Team USA!!!!

Posted by: Timbo_1 | January 2, 2011 11:37 AM | Report abuse

I'm a Caps fan and it was intentional and legal. There is zero chance Steckel didn't see Crosby (unless he has advanced glaucoma) and Steckel continued in a straight line and Crosby veered into his path. Steckel could have veered away but why do that when you get a free and legal shoulder hit on their star player.

Posted by: nativedc | January 2, 2011 12:22 PM | Report abuse

I wouldn't go there, but it would be funny to jump into a Pens blog and champion Steckel. Penquim fans would go nuts!

Posted by: coastallp74 | January 2, 2011 12:51 PM | Report abuse

clean hit!...Sid skated right at him and drove his face into Steck's shoulder.

Posted by: sdtxyz | January 2, 2011 12:55 PM | Report abuse

Does anyone seriously doubt that Crosby embellished this hit? It was a miracle he came out for the next period, not missing a minute of play, right? And will any of the Crosby-loving media (Cherry, NBC crew, et al) mention their golden boy's cheap shot at the end of the game? Not in our lifetimes.

Posted by: zmega | January 2, 2011 1:15 PM | Report abuse

Boo Hoo, my heart bleeds for Steckel's right shoulder. Hope Steckel did not scratch it too badly. You never want any part of a road kill get stuck in a place unseen, it tends to smell real bad later.

Posted by: JohnWWW | January 2, 2011 1:17 PM | Report abuse

There is no way Steckel didn't see him or didn't know/feel that he hit him, even if legal.

Posted by: itsannies | January 4, 2011 4:55 PM | Report abuse