Posted at 4:53 PM ET, 12/31/2010

Winter Classic between Capitals, Penguins moved to 8 p.m. on Saturday

By Katie Carrera

Updated, 4:50 p.m.: The NHL has announced that the Winter Classic has been moved to 8 p.m. on Saturday based the heavy rain expected to fall through the afternoon in Pittsburgh.

The Capitals will hold an 11:30 a.m. skate Saturday at Consol Energy Center. The Penguins will skate beforehand, at 10:30 a.m.

Click here for more details in the full release.

Original post: According to an NHL source, the Winter Classic between the Capitals and Penguins will be pushed back to an evening start time in order to avoid inclement weather forecasted for the Pittsburgh area on Jan. 1. The league and its broadcast partners could delay the game to as late as 8 p.m.

The latest weather reports predict about 0.5" of rain in Pittsburgh between Saturday morning and afternoon, with 80 percent of it falling before 1 p.m. It should taper off around 3-4 p.m., theoretically giving Winter Classic officials time to get the ice ready for faceoff.

The NHL is waiting for one more weather report before making a final decision, the source said, but an announcement is expected at 5 p.m.

By Katie Carrera  | December 31, 2010; 4:53 PM ET
Categories:  Winter Classic
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Video: Peter Bondra, Mario Lemieux face off in Winter Classic's Capitals-Pengins alumni game
Next: Winter Classic time change won't bother the Capitals

Comments

If they can't make it happen by 3:30 then 8 is a great idea

Posted by: broud0 | December 31, 2010 3:27 PM | Report abuse

I think it will be cool under the lights

Posted by: Mike4169 | December 31, 2010 3:28 PM | Report abuse

I agree, if they're not going to do it at 1 they should wait until the sun goes down and have an outdoor evening game when it is dry and cooler.

Wind will still be an issue but remove the glare from the equation.

Posted by: dimagus | December 31, 2010 3:35 PM | Report abuse

Just let us know exactly what time so those of us going with the Road Crew, know when to schedule the buses!

Posted by: CALSGR8 | December 31, 2010 3:40 PM | Report abuse

MON has traded Max Lapiere to the Ducks.

Posted by: pokerface1208 | December 31, 2010 3:45 PM | Report abuse

Olie Kolzig was a terrific commentator on NHL Network - great insights, funny, and very supportive of the Caps. Welcome back Olie!

Posted by: remy117 | December 31, 2010 3:56 PM | Report abuse

I'm sorry but why makes this bigger than the Stanley cup? It's hard enough watching the game in an arena ....now we won't even see the puck. NHL should add the flame to the puck too! LOL

Posted by: LongTimeSkinsFan | December 31, 2010 4:07 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: LongTimeSkinsFan | December 31, 2010 4:09 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: LongTimeSkinsFan | December 31, 2010 4:09 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: LongTimeSkinsFan | December 31, 2010 4:09 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: LongTimeSkinsFan | December 31, 2010 4:09 PM | Report abuse

Holy wow! Am I high?

Posted by: pokerface1208 | December 31, 2010 4:12 PM | Report abuse

You click Submit ONCE. Jesus.

Posted by: dimagus | December 31, 2010 4:20 PM | Report abuse

How many times can one person push submit?

Posted by: amorris525 | December 31, 2010 4:21 PM | Report abuse

LongTimeSkinsFan = newb

Posted by: RITdude | December 31, 2010 4:32 PM | Report abuse

amoris: 13 by my count

Posted by: j762 | December 31, 2010 4:35 PM | Report abuse

@pokerface- You are high but that's a separate issue.:) I counted 10 re posts before I ran out of digits on my hands and I haven't learned how to count using my toes yet.

Posted by: FunkyGloveFacewash | December 31, 2010 4:36 PM | Report abuse

LongTimeSkinsFan,
You only need to hit submit ONCE!

Posted by: break20 | December 31, 2010 4:39 PM | Report abuse

i'm giving LongTimeSkinsFan a pass on this one. i've had submissions rejected because they were too soon after the last post. you just can't do this in two minutes. i have had posts show up twice when using a mobile device before but - 14 is a record

Posted by: Capt_Kirk_in_AZ | December 31, 2010 4:40 PM | Report abuse

BTW poker, Do you have any holiday gifts for us in the form of trade rumors? All I got this year was a lump of coal, so I would gladly accept some late December trade news. I know trades rarely happen this time of year but I'm sure they're always talking and I'll take anything you got right now.

Posted by: FunkyGloveFacewash | December 31, 2010 4:44 PM | Report abuse

Holy crap LongTimeSkinsFan!! hahahahahahahaha thanks for giving me a nice chuckle. I've seen new posters submit like 3 times on their first try.. but never 14 times.. HAHAHAHAHA.

Posted by: rachel216 | December 31, 2010 4:46 PM | Report abuse

Bill Daley is on the NHL Network. He just announced start time is moved to 8 pm on Saturday

Posted by: NovaCath | December 31, 2010 4:56 PM | Report abuse

Good decision NHL!!! I really hope they get this game in.

Posted by: gibiphone | December 31, 2010 5:08 PM | Report abuse

it's gonna be sweet under the lights.

Posted by: rachel216 | December 31, 2010 5:16 PM | Report abuse

I have no issues with them moving the game to 8, although I'm surprised they did it so early. I thought they would wait until morning to make the change. What if the rain gets here late?

Posted by: griz0615 | December 31, 2010 5:23 PM | Report abuse

@griz, probably to give people time to change hotel plans and other things like pets or whatever.

Posted by: icehammer97 | December 31, 2010 5:33 PM | Report abuse

sounds like a sensible move. I do wonder a little bit about how good the lighting will be for hockey though with the boards and all.

Frankly I can't imagine anyone in the stadium is able to really see much of anything from so far away.

Posted by: fedssocr | December 31, 2010 5:49 PM | Report abuse

Not a regular hockey fan but I look forward to the Winter Classic, under the lights should make it even better.

Posted by: eaglechik | December 31, 2010 6:46 PM | Report abuse

There are huge numbers of Caps fans wandering around Pitt right now.

Posted by: weetabixjihad | December 31, 2010 6:47 PM | Report abuse

Nice touch by the Caps who are paying for hotel rooms for fans who bought the travel package! Tend to doubt Mr Snyder would have done that.

Posted by: StrugglinSkinsFan | December 31, 2010 10:33 PM | Report abuse

Rendell was right. We're a nation of wusses. Start the game on time regardless of rain.

Wusses.

Posted by: joy5 | December 31, 2010 11:44 PM | Report abuse

hay if you guys see cindy tell him to " STOP CHUCKING MY WOOD " FREAKING FAG enough alreadt kick his ass OV

Posted by: doggydodo | January 1, 2011 8:17 AM | Report abuse

doggydodo....your parents must so proud of you. i didnt know grade school kids were in to these comment boards.

Posted by: crosbysbetter | January 1, 2011 12:51 PM | Report abuse