Woods Settling Into New Role With Caps

(John McDonnell - The Washington Post)

Here's a feature from Bill Oram, another one of our most excellent summer interns:

Bob Woods has been a fixture at Washington Capitals summer development camps. As a coach of the Hershey Bears, the Capitals' top minor league affiliate, he helped the organization evaluate and mold some of the organization's promising prospects.
He is there again this year, but with one key difference. Whereas before Woods would maybe see some of the young players soon again as the head coach in Hershey, he now is a full-fledged member of the Capitals coaching staff and will have to wait until the next development camp, or for the players to make it to the NHL.
"You want to see these guys look better and look stronger and look more mature any time you get to see them," said Woods, who never played or, before now, coached in the NHL. "Their time's coming, where they're going to be ready to make the step to pro, and I think this is only going to prepare them for that."

Click here to read the full story. Check the site later for Tarik's feature on absurdly tall defenseman Joe Finley.

By Lindsay Applebaum  |  July 16, 2009; 7:02 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: More on the Schultz Q.O. Mix-Up
Next: Video: A Strong Showing for Carlson

Comments

Anyone have an update on Anton??

Posted by: TheOriginalEgon | July 16, 2009 7:06 PM | Report abuse

woods will turn schultz into that hard hitting, crease clearing, mean spirited with a chip on his shoulder S@H D-man - that chara only dreams about becoming

Posted by: Capt_Kirk_in_AZ | July 16, 2009 7:06 PM | Report abuse

I know he went down hard and there was quite a bit of blood on the ice...hoping the guy is alright...

Posted by: TheOriginalEgon | July 16, 2009 7:06 PM | Report abuse

check out my blog for analysis on the scimmage today. i along with several other caps bloggers will be live blogging on saturday so look for updates on my site and others'.

Anton is alright from what I hear.

More Saturday!

Posted by: alexanderperlmutter | July 16, 2009 7:35 PM | Report abuse

William Shatner deserves to be nerve pinched by Leonard Nimoy for that posting!

Posted by: puckman | July 16, 2009 7:36 PM | Report abuse

I know this is kinda old but the poll on ESPN asks "who should the NHL have scheduled to play the Bruins in the WC?" 55% Caps... if I were just a casual fan, I'd rather watch the Caps than the Flyers. NBC knows nothing.

Posted by: rachel216 | July 16, 2009 9:53 PM | Report abuse

I like the Development Camp notes.

Posted by: richmondphil | July 16, 2009 11:11 PM | Report abuse

If you read the article about Finley it sounds like we have our little Pronger type in the oven. Let's just hope he comes out ok. I'm all for that type of player. I love the rough stuff. Boy would we ever be blessed if this kid could ever develope into a Pronger/Chara type.

Can our future look any brighter? I mean prospect after prospect! Keep up the good work GMGM and stay off these boards and don't listen to us arm chair GM's! LOL! What the heck do we know?

Lets say it takes Finley 2-3yrs to develope into a NHL caliber Dman. By that time we'll have Green, Alzner, Carlson and Finley as our D. Anybody wanna try and compete with that? Then you look in net at Varly and Neuvy and you're still looking at the forwards as being in their mid 20's.

Yeah I think the future looks pretty darn bright in DC.

Posted by: pokerfaceI208 | July 17, 2009 1:40 AM | Report abuse

The fact that he understands that he's got a lot of work to do and is willing to do it, and is obviously chill and patient and willing to develop himself, will go a long way towards him being successful.

I agree that the future looks bright in DC, though. The Washington organization is positively jammed with talent, a lot of which is still developing. I'm still not convinced that we need to go out and sign another defenseman, however studly - we're completely jammed to the rafters on defense, and I'd prefer to see what Woods can do with them given a season than rushing off and jamming the pipeline further with a crazy contract.

Posted by: kittypawz | July 17, 2009 4:59 AM | Report abuse

For those that didn't like the Schultz/Chara comparison I have to ask why. Chara is not flashy in what he does either, he usually just gets in the way, ties up a forward, and brings them to the boards. That is the way Schultz plays, but as many of you have said, needs more experience. You will rarely, if ever, see a player like Chara (or Schultz), poke check and forward and turn up ice with the puck, that is not their style.

I know that Chara won the Norris but if you watched the awards show the hosts said they thought Chara would win this year even though he wasn't the best choice because it would be a sort of life time achievement award. They also said Green would be back many times, but that remains to be seen.

For all of you that think Chara is a stud please reflect back on his playoff performance. He was abused! He was getting knocked to the ice by the likes of LaRose and Ruutu. Both hard nosed players but no where near Chara's size. Out of the starting 6 defensemen he was 5th in +/- with a +1. I haven't looked at the stats closely but they blew the Canadiens out so his +/- against the Hurricanes was probably rediculously low. To make a short story long, IMO BB will have Schultz in the line-up whenever he is healthy.

Posted by: fanohock1 | July 17, 2009 7:57 AM | Report abuse

I have to respectfully disagree with fanohock1's comparison of Schultz and Chara. Chara has proven year in and year out to be a guy who not only will break up a rush, but will clear out the crease. There are plenty of forwards who won't venture near the crease when Chara is on the ice. Although he's not a fast skater, Chara is good at getting the puck out of his end and is strong at holding the puck in at the blueline at the offensive end.

Schultz is (a) a finesse player (b) doesn't like to take the body and (c) is known for coughing up the puck with even a poke check. His lack of mobility is a major drawback against skilled players. I don't see him as being part of the long-term future of the team. It's only a matter of time before Alzner and Carlsson are both with the big club full-time and Schultz is at Hershey or traded.

Posted by: wizfan89 | July 17, 2009 9:32 AM | Report abuse

Not to knock the Post intern, but to knock the post intern, that's some pretty uninspired writing. Using "organization" back to back like that? A big no no.

Posted by: MarylanDChris | July 17, 2009 9:32 AM | Report abuse

@MarylanDChris: I couldn't agree with you more. That reads pretty horribly.

I used to like NBC before I started noticing how much they screw with hockey like they've got a monopoly on it. 55% would have wanted to see the Caps in the next Winter Classic? Speaks volumes. It'd be nice if NBC would conduct an analysis based on what fans want and not what would fill their bank accounts better.

Posted by: LeftCoastCapsFan | July 17, 2009 12:30 PM | Report abuse