WPL video: Caps playoffs edition

Here are a few clips from Washington Post Live's playoff extravaganza, starting with Bruce Boudreau on high expectations for the Caps:

And here's Mike Green on his playoff performance last year vs. how he expects things to go this time around:

Finally, here's Tarik on how Washington measures up against Montreal:

Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

By Lindsay Applebaum  |  April 13, 2010; 8:53 PM ET
 | Tags: Bruce Boudreau, Montreal Canadiens, Semyon Varlamov, Washington Capitals
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Video: Caps on playoff memories
Next: Caps have their man in net as playoffs open

Comments

why isn't it thursday yet?

Posted by: Capt_Kirk_in_AZ | April 13, 2010 9:33 PM | Report abuse

At least tomorrow we can watch Ottawa beat Pittsburgh.

Posted by: ccCapsfan | April 13, 2010 9:42 PM | Report abuse

The front page of wapo.com features a video from someone named Bondreau.

As I remember he was a feisty Slovak-Canadian player/coach hell bent on scoring goals!

Posted by: wtf_e_fehr | April 13, 2010 9:53 PM | Report abuse

BONDREAUZI!!!

Posted by: Capt_Kirk_in_AZ | April 13, 2010 10:16 PM | Report abuse

Nino Niederreiter

Posted by: richmondphil | April 13, 2010 10:40 PM | Report abuse

Let us all EMBRACE him/them/it!

...the Bondreau.

Posted by: wtf_e_fehr | April 13, 2010 10:47 PM | Report abuse

NHL.com is saying that Tarik tweeted that Backstrom is questionable for Game 1. Any truth to this? Because I would have expected to see it on here if it was the case.

Posted by: timmyv38 | April 13, 2010 10:57 PM | Report abuse

timmyv38:
here is the CI thread on backs

everything from migraines to him getting hurt at some point on sunday. probably have to wait and see if he practices tomorrow before we get any more info

Posted by: Capt_Kirk_in_AZ | April 13, 2010 11:16 PM | Report abuse

Did Tarik ever say he might miss Thursday's game? Because I saw that earlier thread, and it didn't say anything like that.

Posted by: timmyv38 | April 14, 2010 12:10 AM | Report abuse

timmyv38:
"Boudreau said Backstrom is questionable for Thursday"
from:

Posted by: Capt_Kirk_in_AZ | April 14, 2010 12:30 AM | Report abuse

Thank you, Capt_Kirk. I hadn't seen anything official at all until that, just a lot of panic. I wouldn't be too surprised if it's just another one of Nick's migraine attacks. Have to wait and see, I guess.

Posted by: timmyv38 | April 14, 2010 12:49 AM | Report abuse

In a sport as physically taxing as hockey where players play in up to 82 hard-hitting games each season, when you are in the rare position of having locked up the top spot in the league with a few games left in the season...

you rest your key players.

You don't go for individual awards. I don't care how other teams handled their players.

I'm not saying that Backstrom got hurt in the final game. We don't know what is going on yet.

What I do know is that in the last few games...

Semin took an elbow to the chest from Bogosian and temporarily crumpled to the ice.

Semin took an elbow to the jaw along the boards against Pittsburgh and crumpled to the ice (I can't recall if we had locked up the top spot at that point).

Green nearly got sent head-first into the boards by, I believe, Evander Kane.

Green got taken down hard and temporarily left the ice against Boston.

Green went down to the ice to block a shot late in the same game. While it showed courage and character, I'd rather ensure that he's healthy so he can prove those same qualities in the playoffs.

Posted by: tmac2yao | April 14, 2010 3:09 AM | Report abuse

In addition to that, all of our top players were hit or bumped or knocked around multiple other teams in those relatively meaningless games.

In the end, one of the primary reasons that those players were allowed to play those games (or at least that many minutes) was to reach personal milestones. You saw that once Ovechkin wasn't going to catch Sedin in the 3rd period against Boston that Boudreau finally started cutting back on his ice time.

If Backstrom did by some off chance get banged up in that meaningless final game of the season and either misses playoff games or isn't 100%, it could seriously jeopardize the best season in the history of this franchise.

On top of that, we don't know for sure that Semin or Green aren't going to have some kind of lingering effects from any of those incidents mentioned above or some other incidents entirely.

The same goes for Ovechkin and any other key player that had no need to risk themselves in those meaningless games.

Posted by: tmac2yao | April 14, 2010 3:10 AM | Report abuse

Apparently, individual goals are way too important in our culture. The risks of playing those guys far, far, far outweighed any benefits, especially in a sport as physically demanding as hockey where teams play so many regular season games. Not to mention, that in addition to the condensed NHL schedule, all of our top guys other than Green also played in the Olympics.

In another physically demanding sport, football, where they only have to play 16 games, every team that has the chance to do rests their key players late in the season. They either sit entirely or only play for a few offensive series before taking advantage of their well-earned opportunity to avoid unnecessary risks. Multiple teams that have gone on to win Super Bowls have taken this very approach so it doesn't always, if ever, lead to players underperforming in the playoffs.

I wish that we had rested Ovechkin, Backstrom, Semin and Green in the last few games or, at the very least, dramatically cut back on their ice time.

Posted by: tmac2yao | April 14, 2010 3:12 AM | Report abuse

I apologize for another set of lengthy posts. I've been a little better about that issue recently.

Posted by: tmac2yao | April 14, 2010 3:13 AM | Report abuse

Seriously WPL? You put ties as one of the possible outcomes of a game in the 3rd video? Sigh...

Posted by: washcaps | April 14, 2010 4:21 AM | Report abuse

@tmac2yao, you gotta relax. I know you were advocating resting players as the season closed and you're saying the chickens have come home to roost, but here are a few points.

We did rest players. You talk about Green blocking a shot, but Green, for instance, took two games off last week. Several other players sat for at least one game. We rested players.

Second, Backstrom was going to play no matter what. He has not missed a game in 3 years. He was not going to miss one now.

Third, Ovi rested 10 games this season, more than enough. those individual awards aren't nothing -- they are awards for the ages, and you can bet Ovi, Crosby, Stamkos, and Sedin were all fighting hard to get them. The awards help define the player's place in history

Fourth, I would not put it past Boudreau to be messing with everyone. For all we know Backstrom missed practice due to migraine but BB is floating (false) hints that he's banged up; Ovi too. Especially this time of year you have to take everything he says publicly with a grain of salt. Until yesterday he said he hadn't named a started in goal, which he now admits was BS. You can bet that if he can play coy with respect to who's playing he will.

Posted by: Justafan | April 14, 2010 5:58 AM | Report abuse

The report seems to be the Nicky B. has a bad cold so he's iffy on Thursday for that reason. That was reported in the Swedish press, apparently.

Posted by: CapsFan75 | April 14, 2010 7:00 AM | Report abuse

Is it just me or does Green have the 'Eye of the Tiger'?

Posted by: terlin1 | April 14, 2010 7:04 AM | Report abuse

Dang.. so many good games on tonight.. wish I could watch them all. Nothing better than playoff hockey. GO SENS!

Tomorrow can't come soon enough!!

Posted by: rachel216 | April 14, 2010 8:26 AM | Report abuse

...I've been a little better about that issue recently.

Posted by: tmac2yao

I assume you meant bitter. Yeah I'm a little bitter about all this injury nonsense too. If they're banged up or need a rest, then rest 'em. Otherwise let 'em play. It's what they do. They can get hit by a vehicle walking down the street (Witt incident). So what are they supposed to do not walk around?

Posted by: BetterOffWithFedorov | April 14, 2010 8:29 AM | Report abuse

Rach, why not root for Pittsburgh?

I want our road to the Cup to go through them, just as theirs went thru us last year.

We need to exorcise these Pitt demons.

Beat the best to be the best, and shut ALL DOUBTERS up!!!

Posted by: wtf_e_fehr | April 14, 2010 8:34 AM | Report abuse

@wtf_e_fehr, I agree the Pens would be just fine. I'll root against them because I hate them (and I grew up in Pgh), but whomever we play, including the Pens, bring 'em on. If we play them, great; an excellent opportunity to get that monkey off our backs (though we'd have to put up with the interminable history reviews leading up to the series) and this is a fine time to steamroll them.

Posted by: Justafan | April 14, 2010 8:59 AM | Report abuse

I don't care who we play, if we can't beat them we don't deserve the Cup.

Posted by: beaupre33 | April 14, 2010 9:06 AM | Report abuse

I am just recovering form a stomach virus that have lasted for 4 days and it is very debilitating; when I heard about Backstrum not feeling well it occurred to me that these guys are not made of steel and that they might contract the virus - they are in such a good shape we tend to ignore these things. It would be devastating for any team to have any of their top players missing on this tournament, it would put a tarnish on the Cup for the winner.

I am drawing a blank (too much medication?) on the playoff format. Assuming that the Caps beat Montreal, do they play the winner of Pittsburgh and Ottawa? or do they play the team with the next worse record?

Posted by: hock1 | April 14, 2010 11:28 AM | Report abuse