Yet Another Semin Update

Alexander Semin (sprained ankle) is taking part in practice, which leads me to the believe he'll be ready for tomorrow's game in Atlanta. I'll try to follow up after the session.

And in other unrelated news, the Capitals are wearing those funny-looking socks the Flyers' rookies wore in the rookie scrimmage last month. They are navy blue, with a wide, vertical stripe down the front.

Note:I'm slammed with preview stuff today, so I won't be updating quite as frequently. But if any news breaks, I'll have it here.

Update:Semin's status is still undetermined. He skated today, but he was still limping after practice. Could be a game time decision.

By Tarik El-Bashir  |  October 4, 2007; 11:18 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Update On Semin
Next: Semin Out Against Thrashers

Comments

Funky socks, huh? Any chance they could switch it up to red, white and blue tie die? That would be hella cool. :)

Posted by: Matt | October 4, 2007 11:28 AM | Report abuse

if they go to the vert. stripe socks for games, i shall boo.

Posted by: pgreene | October 4, 2007 11:39 AM | Report abuse

The Semin news is awesome!

Posted by: Blank | October 4, 2007 11:47 AM | Report abuse

was awesome

Posted by: Anonymous | October 4, 2007 12:00 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Blank | October 4, 2007 12:03 PM | Report abuse

For what its worth...

I would rather they take it easy with the ankle... even if it means missing a couple of games early than having it be a lingering problem well into the season.

If he can go, thats great. If there's doubt, err on the side of caution. Its to early to take chances.

Posted by: Muddapucker | October 4, 2007 12:15 PM | Report abuse

As much as I'd like to see Semin on the ice Friday and Saturday, it's a long season and I'd really hate to see him hurt himself worse. I'd rather they move Pettinger up to the second line left wing and save Semin for when he's closer to 100%.

Posted by: Blueline | October 4, 2007 12:20 PM | Report abuse

I'm no doctor, but how can a sprained ankle heal if you don't rest it? And the vertical stripes will only hurt it even more.

Posted by: SabreHater | October 4, 2007 12:27 PM | Report abuse

"...And the vertical stripes will only hurt it even more."

That's a good 'un!

Posted by: pmoravek | October 4, 2007 12:33 PM | Report abuse

Fleischmann's a natural left wing. Move him back to Semin's spot, move Clark up to the top line RW and put Bradley or Sutherby or Laich the third line RW.

Oneal

Posted by: Oneal | October 4, 2007 12:36 PM | Report abuse

Why break up the 3rd line bash brothers when you don't have to? I know the perfect solution... Klepis on 2nd line LW!

Posted by: Raber | October 4, 2007 1:09 PM | Report abuse

maaaaaaaaaan

Posted by: Anonymous | October 4, 2007 1:11 PM | Report abuse

I would really like to see Steckel and Gordon play together. I'd prefer Semin to play Friday night, but if there should be the need to keep him out of the lineup just move Clark up into the top 6 and let Steckel and Gordon play together like they did on the Bears Calder Cup run.

Watching hockey last night was great, but it really needs to be opening night for the Caps.

Posted by: Jeff | October 4, 2007 1:23 PM | Report abuse

Am I missing something? Why do all the pundits have the Caps ranked 14th or 15th in the East. I see nothing but positives so far.

Posted by: kingholmes | October 4, 2007 1:44 PM | Report abuse

kingholmes...I think the most disappointing "prediction" I've seen is on ESPN based upon how the NHL '08 video game played out the season. The Caps are ranked 15th in the East, and are the only team under .500 in the East. Oh, and they predict the Caps to end up with 67 points. No respect!

Posted by: Jeff | October 4, 2007 1:52 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Omar | October 4, 2007 1:59 PM | Report abuse

Damn, this Klepis poster is crazy. NO MORE KLEPIS! HE CAN'T PLAY IN THE NHL! At least not for the Caps. Columbus is the place for him (together with Beech and Novotny)

Posted by: Blank | October 4, 2007 2:09 PM | Report abuse

Prognostications in early October are quite simple, but things don't always end up that way. Not sure that all the prognosticators had Carolina and Edmonton in the 2006 Final, and the guess here is even fewer of the talking heads had Carolina missing out entirely the next year. That ESPN (which is an unfunny joke when it comes to hockey) actually simulated the season based on a video game should speak volumes as to what they think about the sport.

Posted by: Patrick | October 4, 2007 2:23 PM | Report abuse

Omar - That is actually a fair and thorough article. I refuse to believe that it's actually from ESPN.

The sidebar on Chris Clark is worth it alone.

Posted by: HolyOlie | October 4, 2007 2:43 PM | Report abuse

ESPN definitely has it's flaws, but when they spend the time to research and then write a complete article they put out some pretty good stuff. It was definitely nice to see the article after hearing Tarik mention Burnside being at training camp a couple weeks ago.

I'm curious to see whether he actually pays attention to the Caps throughout the season as he said he intends on doing.

Posted by: Jeff | October 4, 2007 2:47 PM | Report abuse

Wait a minute, ESPN used NHL08 to determine the Caps rank this season? Hell, they need to come to my house and watch the Caps perform on my PS3. Using the same opening night roster that the Caps will, I'm currently at the top of the Southeast Division with 40 points and the second seed in the Eastern Conference...midway through December. That is on the hardest level with no assists.

To quote Larry the Cable Guy:

"Lord, I apologize for the pain and suffering the Capitals will inflict on the NHL this season and be with the starving pigmies in New Guinea, AMEN"!!

Posted by: Mitch | October 4, 2007 3:03 PM | Report abuse

Just to clear up my comment about ESPN & video games...it wasn't what ESPN based their actual prediction on. It was just a side prediction they did...of course, other than Burnside the Caps are pretty much expected to fail yet again according to the rest of the experts at ESPN.

Posted by: Jeff | October 4, 2007 3:08 PM | Report abuse

Most NHL prognosticators live in the past, not the future. They haven't got a clue regarding changes made to individual teams during the off season.

Even if they are aware of the changes its doubtful that most understand the impact.

To most, they are aware of about eight NHL teams and are completely unaware of the rest. To be concerned with preseason picks is a complete and utter waste of time.

Posted by: Muddapucker | October 4, 2007 3:12 PM | Report abuse

I think the bottom line is that nobody - not us, not Tarik, not TSN, not ESPN, not THN, or anybody else knows how well the Caps are going to fare this season compared to the rest of the league. We all know they've improved, but what fruit, if any, that's going to bear is a big fat question mark right now.

It's going to be exciting to watch, and that's all anyone can say for sure.

Posted by: HolyOlie | October 4, 2007 3:23 PM | Report abuse

Not only that, HolyOlie, but no one can predict injuries...

The best teams in the league will have problems if injuries get them.

I think the Caps have a decent chance of turning a lot of heads this season. My biggest concern is their health. If they stay healthy, I see a playoff team.

Posted by: Muddapucker | October 4, 2007 3:30 PM | Report abuse

The Burnside aricle is excellent. Yes, most talking heads still predict us to be at the bottom, but those "experts" pick based on last year, and besides, Burnside actually pays attention to the sport.

Posted by: Eric | October 4, 2007 3:32 PM | Report abuse

As much as I thought Burnside's Caps article was well written, lets not go over the top about him. His stuff is usually horrible.

Posted by: freakinandpeakin | October 4, 2007 3:43 PM | Report abuse

Injuries are definitely the issue. I'm always amazed when teams think they improved because they picked up one or two guys. A little bit of injury reduces teams to the way they were. Scary.

Posted by: 007 | October 4, 2007 4:54 PM | Report abuse

I'm all jacked up on Mt. Dew and if Alex Semin can't play tomorrow night, I'll be glad to lace up the ole skates and pound away at the Thrashers.

Posted by: Mountain Dew | October 4, 2007 5:32 PM | Report abuse

Mountain Dew,

I am sure even you will be better than Klepis.

Posted by: Blank | October 4, 2007 5:33 PM | Report abuse

"I am sure even you will be better than Klepis.

Heh heh....You guys are in rare form today!

Posted by: pmoravek | October 4, 2007 8:04 PM | Report abuse