Zubrus Wants To 'Stick Around'

According to this story in yesterday's Buffalo News, former Capital Dainius Zubrus wants to stay in Buffalo. And despite the fact he didn't score in 15 playoff games, Sabres Coach Lindy Ruff says he likes the big forward, too.

"I enjoy it here," Zubrus said while taking a break from cleaning out his locker in HSBC Arena. "I didn't know what to expect when I was coming here, but from Day One the guys in the locker room, the coaches and everybody made me comfortable. The fans have been good to me. So there's no reason why not."

It's going to be interesting whether Zubrus's latest knee injury affect things. He becomes an unrestricted free agent on July 1 and will be free to negotiate with any team, including the Caps.

A couple of folks pointed me to this item, also from The Buffalo News:

It'll be interesting to see what the free-agent market holds for Dainius Zubrus. He went through the playoffs without a goal after producing a careerhigh 24 in the regular season, 20 of them in Washington with Alexander Ovechkin on his wing. Does that warrant big money? Can't see him getting too much more than this year's $1.875 million, which could be good news for the Sabres.

By Tarik El-Bashir  |  May 23, 2007; 8:03 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Backstrom On WPL Today
Next: Off To Indy

Comments

Can we attribute this to posturing? He's in a position where it pays to keep all doors open.

Posted by: Blueline | May 23, 2007 9:14 AM | Report abuse

Yeah, it's probably posturing. But I found the comment about winning pretty telling.

Posted by: Tarik | May 23, 2007 9:17 AM | Report abuse

I hope he stays there. I hope his days as a Cap are over. He had his shot to do a fair contract and left. Bye Zubie!

Posted by: kenhockey | May 23, 2007 9:33 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: kenhockey | May 23, 2007 9:33 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: kenhockey | May 23, 2007 9:33 AM | Report abuse

I hope he stays there. Caps don't need him back here. Posturing or not, he had his shot to stay here and left, so bye bye Zubie. Don't let the door hit you on the way out.

Posted by: kenhockey | May 23, 2007 9:34 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: kenhockey | May 23, 2007 9:35 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: kenhockey | May 23, 2007 9:35 AM | Report abuse

i get teh impression that everytime a Caps player leaves DC for another city they go "oh, there ARE hockey fans out there. Hmm, well, no reason not to move forward." The only guy who ever came back was Cote, and it was at the end of his career, when he was passive, slow and broken. I don't think Zubie will be returning to Dc. And that message will nestle in the young mind of our young stars. if he doesnt want to be part of dc's stellar rebuild, then why should anyone else want to be? Rather telling that Zubie isn't interested in finishing what was started.

Posted by: Anonymous | May 23, 2007 9:36 AM | Report abuse

i dont know how i feel about this anymore. at first i really wanted him to resign, but now that he says he wants to stay there, paired with the fact that he is going to have chronic knee problems from here on out, im not so sure. A line of ovechkin gomez zubrus still sounds like pure gold though.

Posted by: Anonymous | May 23, 2007 9:44 AM | Report abuse

holy crap kenhockey youre cut off

Posted by: Anonymous | May 23, 2007 9:47 AM | Report abuse

I bet you he'll end up with less money than the Caps offered him, wherever he ends up. He is totally NOT worth what he's asking for.

Posted by: wanggo | May 23, 2007 10:12 AM | Report abuse

Yeah, it's all the fans fault. Let's disregard the fact that just a few seasons ago Buffalo (and Anaheim) had one of the lowest season average attendances. (about 2000 below the Caps)

Do you smoke crack? Do you really think the 'young stars' are obsessing about the career moves of Zubrus? I can see Backstrom now, being cradled by his mom in his hotel room worried about Zubie.

Posted by: slappy | May 23, 2007 10:21 AM | Report abuse

One less distraction for when we go after a real top line center. I like the guy as a winger, but if money is his pleasure, he's going to be in for quite a shock when he gets his next contract.

Posted by: Graham | May 23, 2007 10:32 AM | Report abuse

Slappy,

I don't think you can deny that the atmosphere of the fans affects the players. On the ice and probably in their daily lives as professional athletes. That's noot an attempt to place blame with fans for the business decisions of athletes and sports franchises, but there is certainly an effect on the players.

In any case, Zubrus didn't play in moribund and bankrupt 2003 Buffalo, he was playing in absurdly passionate and sold-out 2007 Buffalo. I have no doubt that it was fun, at least at times, to be a superstar after a few years as a largely anonymous guy around here.

Will that sort of fun matter more than the disruption of resettling his family elsewhere, the financial considerations of his contract or the competitive level of different teams? I'm skeptical that it's that significant, but I'm sure it's a piece he'll consider.

Posted by: false_cause | May 23, 2007 11:00 AM | Report abuse

I never wanted Zubrus back. We tried it, it didnt work out, lets move on.

He had injuries here, now the recent injury in the playoffs. He is not worth the amount of money and a long-term contract.

No hard feelings, I hope he does well wherever he is playing. Lets go Caps!

Posted by: cs | May 23, 2007 11:04 AM | Report abuse

"When Zubie was here, he had games where he was great, then others he would totally disappear. I think he took games off."

This describes every single player on the Caps last season.

Yes, all of them.

Posted by: zamboni | May 23, 2007 11:31 AM | Report abuse

Hey Tarik,

Thanks for keeping us posted on a daily basis since the Caps season ended. Keep up the good work!

Posted by: Mofo | May 23, 2007 11:41 AM | Report abuse

Yes, overall the caps were inconsistant. But I think Zubrus was more so, especially after seeing his play in buffalo.

I still do not want him back. To me, an inconsitant Ovie does not equal an inconsistant Zubrus.

Bondra was a streaky player, but I would not accuse him of taking games off.

Posted by: cs | May 23, 2007 11:47 AM | Report abuse

Another article from the Buffalo paper suggested that the Sabres may seek to resign Zubrus for what he made this year, as that is what he is worth: $1.8 million per year. If that's the best offer Buffalo gives him, Zubrus may not continue to have that warm and fuzzy feeling about the Sabres and Buffalo.

Posted by: Monty | May 23, 2007 12:11 PM | Report abuse

He's obviously a much ebtter winger than he is a center. If he comes back it should be relatively cheap, and as a winger.

Posted by: Graham | May 23, 2007 12:24 PM | Report abuse

Every player on every team has bad games, they're human.

I would take Clark out of your 'all of them'.

Posted by: slappy | May 23, 2007 12:46 PM | Report abuse

False_Cause,

I hear you and agree. But, the anonymous person's blanket impression that-since there aren't a lot of fans here right now, no decent player that leaves will ever come back-is ridiculous. (He also fails to mention Zednik was back this year. While he's no superstar, you could argue that until this year Zed and Zubie have had similar NHL success.)

The 'impressions' were more of a slam on the Caps with great exaggerations. It doesn't take into account what you stated, that there are lots of considerations a player has when deciding where to play.

Posted by: slappy | May 23, 2007 12:50 PM | Report abuse

thats fine if you dont want him back but dont say he didnt work out

Posted by: Anonymous | May 23, 2007 1:38 PM | Report abuse

Zuby's physical presence and skill along the boards warrants him coming back, TO PLAY WING, at around 2.2 mil a year. If he is willing to fill that role, I'd be happy to bring him back with open arms. Clearly Buffalo has bigger things to worry about than Zuby. I'm hoping some other team offers Vanek big $$ as a RFA and that handcuffs the slugs even more. I'd be happy to see Zuby dawn the new red, white, and blue!

Posted by: Chris | May 23, 2007 3:09 PM | Report abuse

Slappy- I remember Zubrus gushing about being recognized every where he went when he got to Buffalo. I also remember Ovechkin talking about how great Toronto was and how much he liked being in a city where every one was into the sport he plays. I think that has a lot to do with how atheletes feel about a team. Why wouldn't it? I dont think the comments were unrealistic at all. If players leave and love being somewhere else (sure it was a pretty good team) then it only seems logical that their former team mates (and friends) take notice.

You seem to take postings rather seriously.

Posted by: MM | May 23, 2007 3:17 PM | Report abuse

Oh, its important to mention that I don't think Zubrus wasn't worth the money he was asking at all. If he likes someplace better, so be it. He's still not worth the dough. He's a a 2nd or 3rd line wing, at best (and a low scoring one at that).

Posted by: MM | May 23, 2007 3:20 PM | Report abuse

If he does come back he could play on a line with Chris Drury as a RW.

Posted by: brash87 | May 23, 2007 3:25 PM | Report abuse

he is not a scoring line center.

Posted by: mac | May 23, 2007 3:27 PM | Report abuse

i get teh impression that everytime a Caps player leaves DC for another city they go "oh, there ARE hockey fans out there"

After playing for teams with no support like the Caps, the Habs and Flyers, playing in Buffalo must have really opened his eyes.

Posted by: KingBonehead | May 23, 2007 3:38 PM | Report abuse

You seem to take postings rather seriously.

Not at all. I'm a passionate Caps fan. I get sick of the doom and gloom BS posted about playing here. For every negative that's posted, there is a positive for playing here. As a Caps fan I'll focus on the positive and slam unrealistic crap.

'Gushing' is the unrealistic crap I was talking about. Girls and Briere 'gush', Zubrus does not. He's not going to diss on the city he's playing for. So he was recognized every where he went? Big fish (made bigger by Sabres winning) in a little pond.

I think that has a lot to do with how atheletes feel about a team.
You can think that -- but a 'Hockey News' poll of actual players voted Buffalo the LEAST liked place to be traded.

Posted by: slappy | May 23, 2007 8:03 PM | Report abuse

"Girls and Briere gush, Zubrus does not."

So you'd rather just nit-pick the use of adjectives?
You did nothing to disuade me from believing that you take postings seriously. In fact, you only proved that point. So, here's my point. You go overboard with your remarks (like "do you smoke crack" which is a little outdated at this point, eh?). Everyone is entitled to voice a thought, that thought need not always be your version of positive and the people making them don't need to be insulted because you or anyone else disagree. Zubrus felt that his treatment in Buffalo was important and it doesn't matter that you disagree with it. You know what crap I like slamming? The kind that people like you keep posting, the vitriolic remarks made on a messageboard by someone acting tough who would likely not do so face to face for fear of being punched in the mouth. Stop insulting people. Being a passionate fan is one thing, and I can respect that. I'm a passionate hockey fan as well. I don't respect your lashing out. You jumped to conclusions and viewed the comments as an attack on the Caps because it didn't take into account a whole host of things never mentioned. I didn't get that impression, nor did I dwell on it. Have you taken on the role of messageboard monitor? Does everyone have to go into full detail to appease you at all times? Please step off the high horse.

Posted by: MM | May 23, 2007 8:40 PM | Report abuse

Only girls gush? Heh. I don't really believe that...seems like most of you boys are pretty good at gushing on and on about Alex the Great.

Posted by: Anne | May 23, 2007 9:03 PM | Report abuse

Don't take him back. Look at this list...Carpenter, Cote, Bergland, Zednik, Beech - which one(s) made ANY impact the 2nd time around? Right - NONE. Zubie would be no different. When a team gives up on you once, what's going to motivate you the second time?

Posted by: alpca3877 | May 23, 2007 10:36 PM | Report abuse

i am a member of the "bring zuby back" coalition. he is a premier power forward in this league. if he came back for a reasonable price, he would certainly fulfill a current gap on the RW.

Posted by: capsfan618 | May 24, 2007 1:47 AM | Report abuse

While Zubrus was invisible many nights, you can't say that about Kris Beech. He "visibly" coughed up the puck for a breakaway just about every game...

Zubrus is not a bona fide second liner for a Stanley Cup challenging team. And that's what we're trying to build in Washington. I'm glad DZ got stubborn on his contract extension ... stay in Buffalo, please.

Posted by: Cerealman | May 24, 2007 8:42 AM | Report abuse

capsfan618:

Not sure what games you were watching, but Zubrus isn't a premier anything.

Zubrus = Loser. Glad he's gone. 'Nuff said.

Posted by: Premier What? | May 24, 2007 12:45 PM | Report abuse

He wants to stay in Buffalo to be on a winner? This was the year for Buffalo to win it and they did not. Next year's team will be no where near this year's due to free agency. Good luck.

Posted by: CT Caps Fan | May 24, 2007 12:58 PM | Report abuse

It's funny how "Caps fans" react when someone says they may want to stick around their new team. Before Zubrus left, they touted how great he was. When he left, they suggested how we might be able to re-sign him at end of the season. Now that he states he may want to play elsewhere, they say: "that's fine, we don't need him, why would we want him??"

You clowns are hilarious.

Posted by: Anonymous | May 24, 2007 3:36 PM | Report abuse

MM,
Mellow out, dude.
If anyone is taking posts too seriously it seems to be you and 'jumping to conclusions'.

I used 'do you smoke crack' as a joke! It wasn't suppose to be serious.

It's laughable that you're defending an anonymous tool that posted about the Caps not having fans and not moving forward. You do realize this is the Capitals Insider?

Sorry, I'm sticking around for the CAPS with plenty of 'vitriolic remarks' and factual rebuttals. (MM, no reply or outrage to player's poll I posted?)

STH Section 409 Row E Seat 15
Stop by next season and I'll buy you a beer. I'm guessing it'll be when Buffalo is town?

Posted by: slappy | May 24, 2007 11:55 PM | Report abuse

Not as funny as a tool that thinks he knows what every Caps fan thinks and says.

Posted by: slappy | May 25, 2007 12:01 AM | Report abuse

Wait, the Caps had Bergland who was the first player to wear 11 after Gartner, didn't protect him during the expansion draft, then got him back? Why? I really don't remember him being that much of an impact player.

As for Zubie, I don't know. There were nights I wasn't impressed like opening night when HE DIDN'T PASS THE PUCK. Then there were other nights he looked like Wayne Gretzky when moving the puck around. A little too inconsistent, I'd rather concentrate on Briere, Drury or Gomez before Zubie.

BTW-Did anyone take notice that Brian Leetch retired yesterday, two years after the 30 NHL teams retired him. Great defenseman, but he just hit a wall in his career and was done. Here's to the hall Brian Leetch!

Posted by: Jarrod | May 25, 2007 10:11 AM | Report abuse

Slappy-

Thanks for the beer offer, mighty genteel of you and much appreciated. It won't be when the Sabres come around. I'm a Caps fan.

The crack comment didn't read like a joke. Part of the issue with email/board postings.

I actually know who the anonymous poster was, and he didn't mean there were no Caps fans, just that there are more hockey fans in other places which ends up giving Dc a bad rap and affects how prospective players feel about coming here. He's a wings/caps fan and is well aware that visiting teams often have more fans at the games. It wasn't a swipe at the Caps or their fans, it was just a comment about how players feel when they go somewhere else and feel appreciated rather than anonymous in Dc. I agree with him. If i were a player I'd think twice about being in Dc vs Colorado, for example, though i'd likely stay in Dc as I'm a hometown kind of guy. I was kind of surprised that Halpern left. I thought he'd make a career of it, especially since he was Captain. Anyway, back to the point. everytime my friend checks out the insider its some time when a bunch of folk are attacking people for not being 'positive". THis time it just got my goat. I keep trying to bring back friends that strayed, and it hasn't worked yet.

As far as the poll, I've lived in few different places and have travelled quite a bit. Personally, i think Buffalo sucks and wouldn't want to live there at all, so the poll didn't surprise me. Regardless, after being anonymous for years I bet it was nice not to be.

So did we just kiss and make up?

Posted by: MM | May 25, 2007 2:27 PM | Report abuse

hes good down low, but takes too many holding penalties and misses too many open nets...stay in buffalo

Posted by: n/a | May 25, 2007 5:28 PM | Report abuse

MM,
It's all good. Any fan of the Caps is cool by me.
I wasn't disagreeing with most of your points. I just don't like the constant, broad generalizations that its all bad here and 'the Caps fans' are clowns, etc by a some people.

It's easy to ride the negative wave when your team is losing. I prefer to recognize the bad but focus on the positive. I learned it from watching Dr. Phil special "I love myself, I'm a Caps fan".

Posted by: slappy | May 26, 2007 12:29 PM | Report abuse