The new Washington
Outside now? Radar, temps
and more: Weather Wall
Follow us on Twitter (@capitalweather) and become a fan on Facebook
Posted at 7:58 AM ET, 01/29/2008

Alert: Rain Arrives Ahead of Schedule

By Jason Samenow

Pockets of freezing rain to the north

Latest DC area radar loop, courtesy National Weather Service. Refresh page to update, or click here to expand.

A batch of steady rain has developed in the metro area this morning and will continue for the next several hours. In some spots, temperatures are cold enough that the rain is freezing on contact with the surface. This prompted the National Weather Service to issue a Freezing Rain Advisory for areas north and northwest of DC (including Frederick, Anne Arundel and Carrol counties and Baltimore) until 10am:

A FREEZING RAIN ADVISORY MEANS THAT PERIODS OF FREEZING RAIN OR FREEZING DRIZZLE WILL CAUSE TRAVEL DIFFICULTIES. BE PREPARED FOR SLIPPERY ROADS. SLOW DOWN AND USE CAUTION WHILE DRIVING.

Areas near freezing now will rise above freezing by mid morning, around the time the rain will temporarily end. By afternoon, most areas will be well into the 40s heading towards 50 -- with more showers possible towards evening.

See Matt's post for the forecast through the weekend.

By Jason Samenow  | January 29, 2008; 7:58 AM ET
Categories:  Alerts
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Forecast: State of the Weather -- Snowless
Next: Readers' Choice: Topper on Top

Comments

Could it be our winter is warm this year because of La Nina. I remember winters when I was younger, we didnt get much of any snow. One winter, I remember wearing shorts over Christmas. Then the next winter, it snowed a LOT.

Our above average temps are those 2-3 day stretches of unusually warm weather affecting the overall average as you guys posted a week ago. By next winter, at least La Nina will shift. Maybe La Nina cycle is a contributing factor to our unusually warm stretches.

I myself am a snowlover and its a bust for sure. I'm not ruling out a good snow before the winter is over, however, odds are lower then usual.

Posted by: ChrisfromVA | January 29, 2008 8:22 AM | Report abuse

We had a little freezing rain this morning in Wellsville, PA. Probably less than a tenth of an inch on my asphalt driveway around 8:30 am. I saw 4 abandoned cars on my 12 mile commute through hilly back-roads, one of which I got out to make sure it was abandoned as it had slide down an embankment a ways. Give me snow over ice any day.

Posted by: Brandon in PA | January 29, 2008 10:08 AM | Report abuse

Chris...The pattern is pretty typical La Nina....progressive...without anything locking in....However the brief warm periods have been above to well above average versus the colder periods which often have been around or slightly above normal.....so the warmth has won out and I believe will continue to do so. Agree with you about snow...keep your expectations low.

Posted by: Matt Ross, Capital Weather Gang | January 29, 2008 10:12 AM | Report abuse

ChrisfromVA: We're enjoying a typical La Nina winter. But as I posted earlier it's not terribly, unusually mild. We're having the usual albeit short but sharp cold spells from time to time. The cold air is coming in dry and warm air advection is establishing before precipitation arrives. Our rare snowy spells are tending to arrive as "clippers" from the west rather than as big southern storms. That's why we're not seeing very much snow. One concern is that our rainfall is somewhat low here. This week's two storms will help. (It's possible thst early rain arrival could also mean early rain departure.)

Posted by: El Bombo | January 29, 2008 10:12 AM | Report abuse