The new Washington
Jump to CWG's
Latest Full Forecast
Outside now? Radar, temps
and more: Weather Wall
Follow us on Twitter (@capitalweather) and become a fan on Facebook
Posted at 6:15 PM ET, 01/ 8/2008

News & Notes: Geek me out!

By Steve Scolnik

Tracking weather while in transit; Science of cold on PBS tonight

As if your cell phone didn't provide enough reason to ignore the road while driving, DC-based XM Satellite Radio announced Sunday that they will debut the first-ever real-time in-vehicle weather tracking system at next week's North American International Auto Show in Detroit. The system, called NavWeather, will provide weather geeks as well as normal folks "immediate alerts on developing weather conditions, such as hail, tornado and storm warnings, mapped to the driver's specific location and driving route."

The "Threat Matrix" technology was developed in conjunction with Baron Services, Inc., a major Doppler radar and storm tracking provider. Baron already markets WxWorx, a mobile weather application for marine and aviation use.

Too Warm for January? Chill Out on PBS

The PBS science series NOVA begins a two-part exploration of the science of cold tonight at 8 pm on WETA-TV 26 and WMPT-TV 22 locally; the second installment airs next Tuesday. Absolute Zero is the "story of the harnessing of cold and the race to reach the lowest temperature possible." Among the topics covered are "the invention of thermometers, the origin of the ice business in 19th-century New England, Clarence Birdseye's fishing trip that led to the invention of frozen food, and a couple of cold-inspired scientific races towards absolute zero that ended in Nobel Prizes."

A teacher's guide, including viewing ideas and classroom activity, is available on the program's web site.

The show is based on the book, "Absolute Zero and the Conquest of Cold", by Tom Shachtman.

By Steve Scolnik  | January 8, 2008; 6:15 PM ET
Categories:  News & Notes
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Records Fall
Next: Forecast: Temperatures to Fall, But Not Too Far

Comments

Anybody else having serious problems viewing this site in firefox?

Posted by: Solarspark | January 8, 2008 6:59 PM | Report abuse

Solarspark-- If you have ads blocked in Firefox it can cause problems with how the site displays. Also, if you're using Noscript you could experiment with flipping it on or off.

Posted by: Jason, Capital Weather Gang | January 8, 2008 9:57 PM | Report abuse

Hey, Jason's post is bold! Woo hoo! Adblock is more likely the source of the problem than NoScript, but NoScript does allow users to toggle a button to allow specific scripts to run. I've got all the scripts enabled right now (even one called jbjonesjr.com, hm, that one really worries me! ;-) and the page still renders oddly, so I blame AdBlock.

Posted by: ~sg | January 8, 2008 10:06 PM | Report abuse

Jason - thought your name looked familiar. I remember you from Glasgow, but I don't think you went to my high school, so I'm guessing you went to TJ.

And to others - use the standard HTML tags to put your post in bold or italic.

Posted by: Jaradel | January 8, 2008 10:34 PM | Report abuse

Jaradel-- Welcome. Yep, I went to Glasgow. Then to the Potomac School in Mclean for high school.

Posted by: Jason, Capital Weather Gang | January 8, 2008 11:19 PM | Report abuse

Missed the PBS show, drat it all.
I am using Firefox 2.0.0.11, with ad-blocker on, and don't see any problems...
Didn't somebody post a link about that sunspot story a day ago..?.. oh yeah, me.
Change happens and we learn to live with it,and then we die. I miss the clean layout and bells and whistles on the old site, but I guess I can live with it as long as the content remains the same. I will hold you to the promise to restore the radar links.
I realize it is early days, but can you tell us what the change has done to stats on views? If a hundred times more eyeballs are getting here, I suppose its worth the pain.
thanks as usual.
A loyal fan.

Posted by: GV in College Park | January 8, 2008 11:57 PM | Report abuse

GV - Glad you're here. I'm going to get the links up as soon as I can.

Posted by: Jason, Capital Weather Gang | January 9, 2008 12:26 AM | Report abuse