The new Washington
and more: Weather Wall
Follow us on Twitter (@capitalweather) and become a fan on Facebook
Posted at 7:46 PM ET, 01/ 9/2008

Meet a Major Meteorologist

By Steve Scolnik

Attention winter weather weenies

It never rains, but it pours. The DC region, home to more meteorologists per acre than probably anywhere else in the world, is host to two major meteorological meetings on the same night next week.

The DC chapter of the American Meteorological Society is presenting winter weather expert Paul Kocin at their January meeting next Tuesday, the 15th. Kocin, with Louis Uccellini, is the author of both the Old and New Testaments of winter storms, Northeast Snowstorms (Volume I: Overview, Volume II: The Cases). He was formerly the winter weather expert on The Weather Channel. Kocin and Uccellini are also the developers of the Northeast Snowfall Impact Scale, which aims to do for blizzards what Saffir-Simpson did for hurricanes in conveying the impact of a storm.

The meeting is open to the public. The cost: absolutely free, unless you wish to partake of sandwiches, chips, cookies, and soft drinks, which will be available for $6.00. The meeting is scheduled (weather permitting, of course :)) for 6:15, with the presentation to begin at 7. Location is American Institute of Architects (AIA), Board Room, 2nd floor, 1735 New York Avenue NW. RSVP by Friday (see the meeting announcement linked above) only if you want to eat.

Kocin is a very entertaining and informative speaker and the PM Updater would be looking forward to attending, but he has already paid up to be brainwashed by those evil climate scientists at the MIT Club Great Climate Change Debate the same night. Our previous offer to host any TV meteorologist at the event is still in effect, provided seats are available. RSVP ASAP.

By Steve Scolnik  | January 9, 2008; 7:46 PM ET
Categories:  Winter Storms
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: PM Forecast: Not as Hot
Next: Forecast: Unsettled Through Next 48 Hours

Comments

Jeeze this layout style and lack of 5 day forecast is killing me. Not to mention the plain old black and white color scheme isn't too exciting. And what's with the random supplemental posts? These were never necessary before so why start them now. I thought this was a weather blog for forecasts, not a weather blog for news. If I want weather news I'll hit the EasternUSWX forums.

Sorry CapitalWX, I hate to complain but this whole changeover may have been a bad thing to spring on long time CapWx readers without at least a bit of a hint before hand.

Posted by: Havoc | January 9, 2008 9:07 PM | Report abuse

First let me say, congrats on the step up. Being offered a spot in a big city newspaper has got to be exciting. I do miss the old site though. It had your own personal style and substance, it was YOURS. This belongs to the washingtonpost. Now it feels like you're trying to reinvent yourself.

Growing pains I guess.

Posted by: TJ | January 9, 2008 9:16 PM | Report abuse

Congrats on your new digs...but I have to agree that this site is not very user friendly.

Posted by: steve takoma park md | January 9, 2008 9:28 PM | Report abuse

I only have two issues:

1. Please change the font. I hate it. :)
2. The text column is way too narrow. Make it wider like the old site.

That's all that really bothers me. Although I do find white boring.

Posted by: Peter | January 9, 2008 9:42 PM | Report abuse

Please bring back the ability to subscribe to comments!!!

Posted by: RW | January 9, 2008 10:03 PM | Report abuse

Thanks all for the feedback. We will be gradually adding features, including a graphical forecast at the top, links by category, etc. The site will evolve. Try to be patient as we grow. We think the blog will grow on you :)

Posted by: Jason, Capital Weather Gang | January 9, 2008 11:23 PM | Report abuse

Now I am enjoying all the angst on the transition. Nice sky this morning and tonight, and very different. Got to see those early clouds blow off; very neat.

Posted by: GV in CP | January 10, 2008 1:51 AM | Report abuse

The new site looks fantastic -- Congratulations!

Posted by: Rebecca | January 10, 2008 9:53 AM | Report abuse

I'm a long time capitalweather.com user because I enjoyed the personal touch and the wonderfully detailed weather explanations that I couldn't find elsewhere. The page was simple and easy to follow. There seems to be too much going on now that you are with washington post. Simple is Better! That's what made you different and great.

Posted by: Eric | January 10, 2008 3:23 PM | Report abuse

your response to every single growing-pain comment has been courteous and considerate. We may have to deal with a few differances on the site, but no-one can fault the wonderful attitude of the Capital Weather team. Well Done, guys.

Posted by: Etta | January 10, 2008 5:09 PM | Report abuse