The new Washington
Outside now? Radar, temps
and more: Weather Wall
Follow us on Twitter (@capitalweather) and become a fan on Facebook
Posted at 11:00 AM ET, 01/11/2008

Come Join the Fun

By Jason Samenow

Wow!!! This is my first time on the blog and I learned more about meteorology and weather reading this than I have in the past 45 years [referring to Matt Ross's "Where's All the Snow?" feature]. This could become addictive.

- Lester Burnham on our comment board.

Thanks Lester, you've captured perfectly what we're trying to accomplish with our new blog. We hope you continue to find our content addictive, and if it gets stale, let us know.

I'm new to this blog but there is some definitely interesting stuff here. I'm a local Washingtonian who loves when it snows...

- Laura

Welcome, Laura. As a snow lover, you're in good company here.

Lester and Laura were among several new visitors who bravely posted comments this week. At our old site, (CapitalWeather.com), we had an active community of commenters, most of whom have migrated with us here. They've gotten to know each other, share a deep interest in all things weather and love chatting about it.

So if you're new here and reading comments inside our posts for the first time, please don't feel intimidated by some of the weather wonk jargon being tossed around. You don't have to be a weatherman to know which way...

Seriously, we have an open door policy at the Capital Weather Gang and it's a big door. It welcomes visitors from all directions, and all levels of knowledge, and there's room inside for everyone. We also encourage you to tell us what you like about the blog and what improvements you'd like to see. (Veteran visitors: we know you miss certain features from the old site; we'll address as many of those as we can in the coming weeks...).

So who else here is new? Or who is not a new reader, but someone who traditionally lurks? Don't be shy. This blog is for everyone and our comment boards are our lifeblood. Veterans: You are our bread and butter; keep commenting, giving us feedback and making us vibrant and strong. But please also welcome new commenters with open arms. Our very high confidence forecast is that they will enrich our community.

By Jason Samenow  | January 11, 2008; 11:00 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Forecast: Briefly Damp & Warm
Next: Mediarology: Got $5 Billion?

Comments

What is a good way to get into amateur meteorology. Sounds like it be an interesting hobby.

Posted by: Interested | January 11, 2008 11:08 AM | Report abuse

Could we possibly receive two separate winter events from the gulf late next week after a long dry spell?? The 06 and 12z GFS seems to think so! I'll believe it when I see it!

Posted by: Augusta Jim | January 11, 2008 11:44 AM | Report abuse

I'm still having a hard time getting used to the new site, the old one, all the information I needed was on the top or right hand side bar... I'd read the post when I have time, but the quickly accessible information is tough to find at first glance.... are there any changes in site, or do you recommend another site to get quick data.
- Tim

Posted by: Tim, Alexandria, VA | January 11, 2008 11:45 AM | Report abuse

With this new format, I'm kinda confused where to post and where to look for new comments.

Posted by: TJ | January 11, 2008 12:42 PM | Report abuse

Hi, I LOVE this new blog. As a kid I was so fascinated by weather I joined a meteorology club. We used to meet in Silver Spring on top of one of the high-rise buildings there. I also once did a weather forecasting project as a science project and got invited to speak to the local association of meteorologists.

As a native washingtonian (who later to moved to Minnesota and back again), I have always been fascinated by this area's interest in snow. Anyway, as a new reader, I am glad to see you all here!

Posted by: downtown worker mom | January 11, 2008 12:48 PM | Report abuse

Margusity is already out with a map for this storm. Kind of early, as he notes. But he paints a stripe of 3-6" up the I-95 corridor from DC up to New England, with 6+ from Providence, RI to down east Maine. Calls for less S&W of DC.

Thoughts?

Posted by: GFP | January 11, 2008 1:26 PM | Report abuse

GFP:
I enjoy reading Henry's columns and have respect for this Accu. met. He certainly has more knowledge than most of us Blog contributors,including myself. Having said this.

I must say that I believe he may possibly be engaging in wishful thinking in this case concerning the southern extent of the 3-6 inch swath, unless later model runs give credence to his thoughts. You may have noticed that he gives a "low confidence" rating to this map. Most of the models don't throw enough qp into the D.C. area for any real acc., even if temps. were cold enough. The GFS indicates between .10-.25 (mostly east side of the city) falling between 2 and 7 p.m. Sunday. During this period, even though 850 temps. would support frozen precip., surface temps. should be around 40.

Perhaps Henry is thinking outside the models. That would be great, especially if it verifies!!

Posted by: Augusta Jim | January 11, 2008 2:21 PM | Report abuse

Re: Next Thursday's wx:

Howard Bernstein on News9 is currently calling for rain, highs in the mid 40's.

Posted by: Ivan | January 11, 2008 3:19 PM | Report abuse

Hey folks it is not a new blog. It has been around for years. They just decided to cast their lot with the Post. Now all you have to do is figure out how to find it on the Post website.

Posted by: BJ | January 11, 2008 4:22 PM | Report abuse

BJ: CapitalWeather.com will always get you here

Posted by: Jason, Capital Weather Gang | January 11, 2008 5:20 PM | Report abuse