The new Washington
Outside now? Radar, temps
and more: Weather Wall
Follow us on Twitter (@capitalweather) and become a fan on Facebook
Posted at 4:00 PM ET, 01/ 8/2008

PM Forecast: Cooldown Following Record Heat

By Steve Scolnik

Reports of winter's demise are extremely premature

Welcome back, friends of PM Update, and welcome to our new visitors, as well!

It's a fine April, er, early January day here in the Washington metro area. Yes, today's noon sun angle of about 29° was close to what it would be at 8 am EST in late April, but the high temperature was near the average for April 30. By 2 p.m., locations throughout the region, ranging from Culpeper to Charlottesville and Patuxent River to Winchester, had all reached 70 or higher. The official daily record was broken with 70 shortly before 3:00. Just west of I-270 here in MoCo, it's been over 70 for a couple of hours.

Unseasonable warmth extends all the way up into New England, where it should help boost the already expected high turnout in the New Hampshire primary. A cold front that was strong enough to produce tornadoes as far north as Wisconsin will move through tomorrow, beginning a cooling trend going into the latter part of the week and leading to the possibility of more winter-like conditions.

THIS EVENING

Increasing clouds and mild, lows near 50. This evening will be mostly clear and mild, but clouds will increase overnight with lows from the low 50s downtown to the upper 40s in the 'burbosphere. There's a 40% chance of showers by the morning commute.

TOMORROW

Chance of showers, clearing, cooler, high near 60. A chance of showers in the morning will be followed by decreasing clouds in the afternoon. Highs will be 58-62.

See Jason's post for the rest of the forecast, including a weekend outlook.

Stay tuned for a Mediarology feature later, including a TV tip for 8:00 tonight.

By Steve Scolnik  | January 8, 2008; 4:00 PM ET
Categories:  Forecasts
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Sunspot Sparks Space Weather
Next: Records Fall

Comments

Posted by: First | January 8, 2008 4:35 PM | Report abuse

I'm sure this has been covered in the below comments, but is there any way to include the 5 day forecast from the NWS at the top of the page. That was incredibly useful for me.

Posted by: Michael | January 8, 2008 4:37 PM | Report abuse

Hey Steve!
Good to see you from PM Updates new home!

Posted by: Mike from the Blue Ridge | January 8, 2008 4:41 PM | Report abuse

Out of curiosity.. what URL are you guys using to access this via your BlackBerry? I go to mobile.washingtonpost.com on mind, but I don't see a way to get to this blog! :(

Posted by: Jim in Blacksburg | January 8, 2008 4:41 PM | Report abuse

The new record highs, vs. old ones:
National 73/69 (1998)
Dulles 70/69 (1998)
BWI 70/69 (1930)

Posted by: Steve, Capital Weather Gang | January 8, 2008 4:42 PM | Report abuse

Another question.. the average high listed for DCA.. is that right? 40? I thought the lowest the average high ever got at DCA was closer to 44 or 45. All the data I've ever seen has said that anyway. And 37 the average high for IAD? I don't think there's many places in Virginia that ever have an *average* high below 40.

I hope this isn't AccuWeather's climate info, because it is notoriously incorrect.

Posted by: Jim in Blacksburg | January 8, 2008 4:44 PM | Report abuse

Am I the only person who miss the comments feed from Haloscan? It was so easy to subscribe to the feed and get all of the comments delivered to me.

I feel like such a dork.

Posted by: RichW | January 8, 2008 4:44 PM | Report abuse

Just wondering...Does the move to the Washington Post mean the demise of the Snow Lover's Crystal Ball???

There's apparently a wintry threat indicated for Sunday night into Monday morning...but Sterling is saying it's mainly along and west of the I-81 corridor.

Posted by: John Andre (El Bombo) | January 8, 2008 4:45 PM | Report abuse

CapWxGng:

I like the extended content on the new site. It will take a few day's getting used to, but do think it will be even better more sooner than later.

One question: Where is there a link to email team members? I didn't see it.

Also, what a motley looking crew! Josh looks like he's posing for Tommy Hilfiger and check out Ian Livingston DiCaprio!

Good job guys, and good luck.

P.S. Any thought's of adding a female to the gang to provide a woman's perspective and possibly attract more lady's?

Posted by: PC | January 8, 2008 5:01 PM | Report abuse

from NWS on snow chances early next week around here...

NEXT STORM FCST TO EVOLVE OVR THE FL GULF COAST AND TRACK NE ALONG
THE ERN SEABOARD. THERE COULD BE JUST ENOUGH COLD AIR TO MAKE THIS
ONE A CHALLENGING PRECIP TYPE FCST. USED AN ENSEMBLE MEAN APPROACH
DUE TO POOR CONTINUITY ON THE LAST FEW GFS RUNS. THE BEST CHANCE FOR
ANY WINTER PRECIP ALONG AND WEST OF THE I-81 CORRIDOR.

Posted by: steve takoma park | January 8, 2008 5:05 PM | Report abuse

WOOO! First WaPo post for me.

A. LMAO Mike-you have an imposter!
B. Snow around 81... MONEY!
C. I love the Washington Post.
D. Very nice site... Cool FAQ too...

I love you guys.

Posted by: Chase, Luray (THE Valley King) | January 8, 2008 5:07 PM | Report abuse

Howdy.

I like the site but miss the easy to read 7-day forecast that used to be at the very top of the page. I know that this wasn't as accurate as your typed forecasts, but it was a useful tool. Perhaps you'll consider bringing it back someone else on the page?

Just now someone in my office said "it's supposed to be 70 the rest of the week" and I recalled reading otherwise on your site. But, now it requires me to click through "after the jump" to get that info instead of being able to see it on the top of the page.

Posted by: old site user | January 8, 2008 5:08 PM | Report abuse

Has anyone else noticed that the text doesn't start until the bar on the right goes away...
Can we fix that? It's really annoying.

Posted by: Chase again | January 8, 2008 5:15 PM | Report abuse

West of I-81 for snow? The latest GFS doesn't even seem to show any precip as far west as the east coast as the storm reaches the mid-atlantic latitudes. It looks much further east than earlier runs.

Posted by: GFP | January 8, 2008 5:28 PM | Report abuse

Mike is right...avg. highs out at Dulles dont go below 41...thats the avg from Jan. 7 thru the 25th...and there's not much doubt that the WaPo's contract/agreement with accuweather is keeping the NWS five day out of the picture and may well be the erroneous source. I totally agree that SOMETHING should be up there, but it doesnt have to come from Sterling. It should come from Dan and Steve and Jason, etc...oh and the freakin windows are open here in LoCo and Baby ARC loves it! She thinks its April.

Posted by: Dulles ARC | January 8, 2008 5:32 PM | Report abuse

**************
Scatter-shooting questions and answers

To those asking why our records and almanac data may be different than other sources , Go here, our FAQ on the issue.

To those questioning the 5 day, 7day, NWS forecasts: We discussed it in comments this morning, but we felt more reliable information can be found in our morning forecast posts (which we are not extending to at least 4 days everyday). While it may be an extra click away, we were unhappy with the quality of the NWS product and the confusion it created. As always, you can see a graphical 7-day just a click away at the Post's weather page , now with a link to us!

PC, ask the gang link at the top of the page.

Chase, I was not able to reproduce your text not loading problem, so maybe it was just a bad connection? I know that the sidebar is sometimes screwy loading, but that will get worked out of the next few days.

Posted by: Jamie Jones, Capital Weather Gang | January 8, 2008 5:40 PM | Report abuse

Re: Average highs/lows
As explained in the FAQ, the displayed high/low for DC is based on the period of record since records began at National Airport. However, the generally reported climatological "normal" is based on a 30-year period, the most recent of which is 1970-2000. Based on that reference period, the "normal" high for today is 43, and the lowest it gets is 42.

Posted by: Steve, Capital Weather Gang | January 8, 2008 5:43 PM | Report abuse

so very weird to see everyone's face on all the posts. :)
i feel like pm update was off for a month.

Posted by: .jeff. | January 8, 2008 5:49 PM | Report abuse

have we lost the good old 7 day forecast page?????? :'(

Posted by: ak | January 8, 2008 6:01 PM | Report abuse

o hah
jst read through the other comments. i'll miss the convenient link :(
i'm still getting used to this web page color.......its so.......bright&white.
really great that its now connected to the WP though.

Posted by: ak | January 8, 2008 6:08 PM | Report abuse

For kicks and giggles......I left open the last haloscan post.......I just posted this from the old site:
___________________________________________
"Last"
Mike from the Blue Ridge | 01.08.08 - 4:50 pm | #
____________________________________________
I'd post the properties but then someone else would go there and ruin my work! LOL

Posted by: Mike from the Blue Ridge | January 8, 2008 6:16 PM | Report abuse

Steve:

So the average high/lows since the move to DCA are actually lower than the ones when the station was in downtown DC? That's pretty crazy, I would have thought given the general warming of the climate that the DCA high would be higher than the 30-year high.

And what about IAD? I don't think the reporting station change phenomenon applies to IAD - so where does 37 come from? I know most people would kill for an average high in the 30s! It seems to me you have to go to Pennsylvania to get those kind of temps.

Posted by: Jim in Blacksburg | January 8, 2008 6:53 PM | Report abuse

Bummer! When you were capitalweather.com we had the best of both worlds. A quick view of today's and the week's weather at the top and all the commentary and thinking down below. Now I can't find what tomorrow's weather without reading dense prose.

Nothing under Current Conditions. Forecast button takes me to more prose.

Like to read the prose, but it's Web page ABC's, you gotta give people the quick view too!

Posted by: Anonymous | January 8, 2008 7:38 PM | Report abuse

Unfortunately, I'm off to Weather.com unless you guys can spiff up this Web page. I'll come here to read weather thoughts now and then, but day to day, again, I'm off to Weather.com.

Posted by: Laura | January 8, 2008 7:40 PM | Report abuse

Please bring back the 5 day weather outlook at the top!!! It was really useful.

Posted by: Melissa | January 8, 2008 7:53 PM | Report abuse

Hey, there was a p.m. update today - took me until now to find it. Guys, the parallel posts are killing me! One of the things I loved about the old site was its linear approach to posting. Please keep an eye on comments & page hit counts to determine how many simultaneous multiple posts the site can really support?

Posted by: ~sg | January 8, 2008 8:43 PM | Report abuse

Jamie: I too have the problem in which text from posts does not begin until the bottom edge of the right-side nav bar on all pages, but I expected this from previous wapo.com problems. I use Firefox and only have the problem at home, not work; Firefox at home has both AdBlock and NoScript, so I blame one of them.

Posted by: ~sg | January 8, 2008 8:46 PM | Report abuse

~sg:

Some people were saying AdBlock was at fault - try disabling it perhaps? I have had no problems viewing the page on Firefox at work, or on Safari on my Mac here at home. I don't have any addons to Firefox at work, so I'd assume the advice about AdBlock possibly being at fault is correct.

Posted by: Jim in Blacksburg | January 8, 2008 9:42 PM | Report abuse

Jim in Blacksburg: I also believe that it's AdBlock, but I'm okay with the elongated space until I get to the text...worth it to avoid the ads. Thanks much!

Posted by: ~sg | January 8, 2008 9:51 PM | Report abuse

sigh...I agree with all the grumblers. Where's my easy five day weather that I can click to anytime AND read informative comments in a quick check? This sure isn't like the good old days!

Posted by: missy | January 8, 2008 10:54 PM | Report abuse

AND there's no snow for Sunday! (more grumbling)

Posted by: missy | January 8, 2008 10:56 PM | Report abuse

@Laura: Weather.com over CapWx? You must be smoking something illegal.

As for SLCB, see the FAQ! It's still here, and even with a makeover:

Posted by: jtf | January 8, 2008 11:29 PM | Report abuse

Wow...I like the setup,will take a bit getting used to, but thats just like anything else new. The last two days have been great, I fished both days. had a high of 71F today. The early sunset though reminds us all of how this is early January, and cold weather is pretty much imminent. Just have to look forward to next for the cold.

Posted by: arnoldkh | January 8, 2008 11:50 PM | Report abuse

Agreed, bring back the 5 day.

Posted by: Michael | January 9, 2008 1:04 PM | Report abuse