The new Washington
Outside now? Radar, temps
and more: Weather Wall
Follow us on Twitter (@capitalweather) and become a fan on Facebook
Posted at 11:45 AM ET, 02/ 9/2008

A Stitch in Time & Weathermen at Channel 9

By Jason Samenow

As Channel 9 (WUSA) meteorologist Howard Bernstein stitches his busted face back together, the Channel 9 promotions department is reportedly stitching up the profile of Chief Meteorologist Topper Shutt based on input from you, our readers.

DCRTV.com, a blog covering local media, reports Channel 9/WUSA meteorologist Howard Bernstein "got busted in the face - walking into a door while on a live shot" Thursday. Bernstein blogged about the incident, lamenting: "I felt stupid and embarrassed. I was wondering if I could just run into the bathroom and get a band-aid on and just persevere. Once I saw the damage that was inflicted, I knew that I wasn't going to be on TV [that day]." Bernstein ended up needing stitches, but fortunately was able to return to work the next day.

Bernstein's colleague Topper Shutt is reportedly being featured in 20-30 second on-air promos based on his selection as the top local evening forecaster by Capital Weather Gang (CWG) readers. While Shutt ranked highest with CWG readers, he ranked lowest with the CWG itself despite a pretty respectable 7/10 average rating (the vote was close). Thanks to long-time reader Mike from the Blue Ridge for the tip on the promo.

By Jason Samenow  | February 9, 2008; 11:45 AM ET
Categories:  Media
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Forecast: Mild, but Wind & Cold are Coming
Next: Photography: Virga Dawn

Comments

Is there a video somewhere of the commercial?

Posted by: Peter | February 9, 2008 6:32 PM | Report abuse

Is there a video of the commercial?

Posted by: Peter | February 9, 2008 6:37 PM | Report abuse

Peter, I checked everything I could and couldn't find it on the net....though heads up, the 3 times(yes, I saw it again tonight) that I have seen it has been during the
9 News broadcast.....ok, come on, someone else has to have seen it, you guys got me feeling like one of them weirdos that have been abducted by UFOs!
FYI-Watch out for the probing ;)

Posted by: Mike from the Blue Ridge | February 9, 2008 7:14 PM | Report abuse

Mike FTBR: I have heard that the probing only occurs to routine Channel 9 viewers, which is why I won't watch even though I'm dying to see the commercial. ;-) Seriously, there must be a way to thank Channel 9 & Topper for publicizing CWG!

Hey, Topper - we know you're reading CWG now, we appreciate it, can Channel 9 please post your ad mentioning CWG on the web???

Posted by: ~sg | February 9, 2008 7:25 PM | Report abuse

I have sent Topper an email asking him & the powers that be at the station to consider posting a link to the promo on the WUSA9 website. I hope they do consider it; it is only a matter of time until someone records it and puts it on YouTube. It would be better on their own website.

Posted by: ~sg | February 9, 2008 7:43 PM | Report abuse

That is two local reporters with black eyes. Dan Hellie supposedly got his in a basketball game but it looked like he had been in a bar fight.

Posted by: JT | February 9, 2008 8:51 PM | Report abuse

Yep... The Topper spot is pretty cool. It's like "The Capital Weather Gang readers at Washingtonpost.com have voted..... " lol

http://youtube.com/user/wusa9newsnow is their YouTube channel... DEMAND IT!

Posted by: Chase, Luray | February 10, 2008 12:20 AM | Report abuse

While Howard recuperates...why not let Kim sub for him???

Posted by: El Bombo | February 11, 2008 10:56 AM | Report abuse