The new Washington
Outside now? Radar, temps
and more: Weather Wall
Follow us on Twitter (@capitalweather) and become a fan on Facebook
Posted at 11:05 AM ET, 02/ 6/2008

Alert: New Record Highs

By Capital Weather Gang

The warm before the storm?

New high-temperature records have been set for the day at all three area airports. At 11 a.m., Regan National was reporting 71 degrees, which breaks the record of 69 set in 1938; Dulles was reporting 68 degrees, which breaks the record of 66 set in 1965; and BWI was reporting 69 degrees, which breaks the record of 64 also set in 1965.

See Dan's post for the full forecast through the weekend, which includes a threat for severe storms later today. If any severe storms were to develop, damaging winds would likely be the biggest threat. Isolated tornadoes are possible (but not necessarily probable) as well.

By Capital Weather Gang  | February 6, 2008; 11:05 AM ET
Categories:  Alerts
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Forecast: Second Shot at Record Highs
Next: CommuteCast: Showers Likely, Maybe T-Storms

Comments

Any chances that the weather will cool down in Febuary?

Posted by: Joey DC | February 6, 2008 11:31 AM | Report abuse

Augusta Jim,

It does look like some winter precip might affect our area in 150-165 hour. Crazy!! Its so warm, It would be nice to get 3 or 4 inches. I'll take it. I'll also take our last warm day. I am a snowlover but I also love this balmy weather. Its been giving me the itch to head to the beach.

Posted by: ChrisfromVA | February 6, 2008 11:43 AM | Report abuse

I agree with you completly Joey I dont no this weather seems kinda odd this year

Posted by: Matt Jones | February 6, 2008 11:59 AM | Report abuse

The SPC has lowered the tornado threat for now, we're not in the 10% range anymore, although there is still a 5% threat from a line immediately west of DC, north into southern PA, south to Fredericksburg, and west through the mountains:

Posted by: weatherdudeVA | February 6, 2008 12:17 PM | Report abuse

light drizzle in capitol hill...

Posted by: madison | February 6, 2008 12:43 PM | Report abuse

On the BWI climate summary from LWX issued at 12:35 AM, the record high for today is listed as 70 in 1938.....as opposed to the 64 you mention....which is correct?

Posted by: Howard | February 6, 2008 12:59 PM | Report abuse

What a beautiful day (sans sun). Glad I decided to be *cough* sick *cough* today.

Posted by: Havoc | February 6, 2008 1:01 PM | Report abuse

Howard: See this link.

Posted by: Capital Weather Gang | February 6, 2008 1:06 PM | Report abuse

I just came back from Cancun- it was weird getting off the plane. Doesn't feel all that different than where I was vacationing!

Posted by: Snowlover2! | February 6, 2008 1:55 PM | Report abuse

Doubt that winter precip in the 150-165 hr. range happens.

After the cooldown on Sun/Mon., temps immediately rebound to normal highs. In fact, extended forecast shows the remainder of February to remain at or above normal temp-wise.

We'll certainly see the occasional snow flurry/shower and some chances at ice, but I'd have to say that the chance of seeing a measurable snow of above 3 inches the rest of the season is not very high...and by President's Day, the chances begin to decrease significantly.

Posted by: Ivan | February 6, 2008 3:07 PM | Report abuse