The new Washington
and more: Weather Wall
Follow us on Twitter (@capitalweather) and become a fan on Facebook
Posted at 11:00 AM ET, 02/28/2008

At a Glance: The Scoop on Forecast Icons

By Jamie Jones
ataglance.jpg
At a Glance forecast from last week.

Since our move over to washingtonpost.com just over a month ago, we've had a good time getting used to our new digs and meeting the neighbors. Along with this new location also came a new set of readers and some more opportunities .

We also made some changes, and stopped doing certain things, which upset some of our long-time regulars. We heard pleas, requests, and in some cases, anger. One of the biggest gripes was our page did not provide a snapshot view of the forecast for the next several days.

While we felt we did a pretty good job providing you with our latest detailed thinking, and washingtonpost.com already provided a good resource, your voice has been heard. The blog once again provides a quick, easy to understand "At a Glance" forecast by the National Weather Service at the top of each page, with a quick link to Capital Weather Gang's latest detailed forecast.

Continue reading for more information on how to read the new At a Glance forecast.

As you can see, we provide a forecast for each of the next six days, including an icon to describe each day's weather, the probability for precipitation that day, and the day's predicted high and low temperature.

freezing_rain.png

Weather Icons: The icons change to reflect the probability of precipitation. For example, a single rain drop is shown with low percentages, while a three-drop icon is matched with high percentages.

AtaGlanceTemps.jpg

Temperatures and Probabilities: Below the weather icon you'll find the probability for precipitation on that day. If the probability is less than 20%, we just show three dashes ('---'). The predicted low (which usually occurs in the morning) is shown in blue, followed by the forecast high in red.

Fair Use: The icons were created specifically for this blog based on an initial set of icons created by Jan Schreiber (formerly of http://www.jschreiber.com). These icons maintain the same open source licensing of the originals, so you are free to use them (as long as you provide attribution back to us).

By Jamie Jones  | February 28, 2008; 11:00 AM ET
Categories:  Capital Weather Gang, Forecasts, Technology
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Forecast: Another Bundle-Up Day, Then Warmer
Next: CommuteCast: Chilly Conditions Continue

Comments

The "At-A-Glance" is pretty cool. Thanks for putting this up!

Just one complaint that you guys can't do anything about. For some reason, the school has blocked whatever website the "at a glance" is located on, so I see just a big blue box. They also did it with the list of other weather blogs. It has messed up the way the site looks, so I have to scroll for a while before I get to your forecasts. Ugh.

Posted by: weatherdudeVA (Lake Ridge) | February 28, 2008 11:55 AM | Report abuse

I like the forecast icons. What I'm starting to not like is the 12Z GFS for next Tuesday's weather event. I'm not a snow lover so the consistent inland path of the closed low doesn't bother me too much.

The cut-off nature of this low, though, is a little more worrisome. Add to its slow progress the anticipated strength over eastern KY/TN and the Miller A triple point that shows up in SC and persists all the way to the northern Chesapeake bay, and things become very troubling. I haven't figured out how to get the latest ECWMF take on this system for balance but if the GFS verifies and it's been pretty consistent the past 3 runs or so, Tuesday could be an extremely active weather day with severe and tornadoes in the SE and maybe even here in the mid-Atlantic. I'm especially concerned about the Charlotte NC area since I have a house down there and it is the beginning of severe weather season in that part of the country.

Posted by: Steve Wasko | February 28, 2008 12:28 PM | Report abuse

Thanks for adding back the at-a-glance week forecast! Although the post's other site has a good one, it's nice that you guys can provide a "one stop shop"!

Posted by: ShawnDC | February 28, 2008 12:49 PM | Report abuse

I've said it before, but I'll say it again: I love the new AAG icons! (Am I the only one who has noticed that the icon for ice looks like the cloud has fangs? ;-) I didn't really use the old AAG, and didn't miss it when it didn't move over to wapo. Now I like the new AAG so much, I check it all the time.

Posted by: ~sg | February 28, 2008 2:24 PM | Report abuse

Nope, you're not -- talk about winter's bite! :)

Posted by: to ~sg | February 28, 2008 3:20 PM | Report abuse

@weatherdudeVA (Lake Ridge)

I had not seen that the sidebar elements were blocked, that is unfortunate (and a bit humorous to me). They are clearly the combination of multiple data-streams, so they are handled a bit differently than most of the site content.

We have long-term plans for a change that will fix that issue, but again, those are long term plans, so bear with us in the short term.

And while not specifically mentioned in the post, Dan had a HUGE role in getting the new icons to where they are now, so be sure to think kind thoughts as you enjoy them. I know I do ;)

Posted by: Jamie Jones, CapitalWeather Gang | February 28, 2008 3:46 PM | Report abuse

As you may have noticed, I'm concerned myself about this Tuesday event as it is poised to interfere maximally with the next Clarendon Ballroom Tuesday night swing dance!

We had a nice well-attended event last Tuesday, but I'm getting mighty irritated with these big rain events which seem to be "timing" for maximal impact on Tuesday night and weekend dance events. Otherwise my big complaints deal with these persistent cold-weather, damp-weather patterns which seem to be dragging into our imminent meteorological spring. It's getting high time that I wish I could start shedding the bulky winter outerwear! Especially with no palpable snow threats on the horizon.

Posted by: El Bombo | February 28, 2008 4:43 PM | Report abuse