The new Washington
Outside now? Radar, temps
and more: Weather Wall
Follow us on Twitter (@capitalweather) and become a fan on Facebook
Posted at 3:15 PM ET, 02/14/2008

CommuteCast: Clear Skies and Diminishing Winds

By Ian Livingston

Warmer temperatures on tap for Friday

After the unsettled weather of the past two days, the sun has made an appearance throughout the region this Valentine's Day. Temperatures have risen to within a few degrees of 40 across the area, and a brisk wind out of the northwest that has added a chill to the air is now diminishing. The evening commute will be dry, clear and problem free on the weather front.

Tonight: Conditions will be mostly clear and chilly with light winds and clouds increasing towards dawn. Lows will range from around 25 degrees to the north and west of DC to near freezing in the city and southeast.

Tomorrow: Friday will feature increasing clouds during the day and by afternoon much of the region will be mostly cloudy. Highs will top out in the low to mid 50s in most towns, which is several degrees warmer than average for mid-February. A cold front set to arrive Friday night will be followed by a new round of cooler air for the weekend.

See Josh's forecast for the holiday weekend and beyond.

By Ian Livingston  | February 14, 2008; 3:15 PM ET
Categories:  Forecasts
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Partly Sunny, Partly Cloudy, Mostly Confusing
Next: Today in Weather History: Feb. 14 vs. Jan. 14

Comments

I used to love the old weather blog, the new post version isn't doing it for me. Sadly, I might be moving on soon....

Posted by: Jared | February 14, 2008 3:21 PM | Report abuse

Hi Jared -- Thanks for the comment. We'd love to hear what you don't like or what you miss.

Posted by: Capital Weather Gang | February 14, 2008 3:38 PM | Report abuse

i just checked NWS forecast for Sunday and it's now all for rain. No mention of snow. But as we all know, much can change over the course of several days .....

Posted by: weathergrrl | February 14, 2008 4:08 PM | Report abuse

Weathergrrl:
You live in the "wrong neck of the woods".

My forecast from NWS still calls for an 80% catagorical of rain and snow showers Sunday night and a 40% chance of snow and rain showers Monday night. Notice that rain preceeds Sunday and snow preceeds on Monday. The difference between partly cloudy and partly sunny explains it all!

Thanks again for your comments from yesterday !!

Posted by: Augusta Jim | February 14, 2008 4:25 PM | Report abuse

I'm tending to hear mostly rain for Sunday night too. Most concerned that any "mix" could dampen attendance at my dance!

Posted by: El Bombo | February 14, 2008 4:35 PM | Report abuse

El Bombo,

Do you go to the Ballroom every time they have a dance?

Posted by: Period | February 14, 2008 5:29 PM | Report abuse

Can I comment on the AAG graphics here? I love all the new pictures for the wx conditions, but the little rainclouds are ADORABLE. I believe that I read a mention here that the graphics are a CWG exclusive - can you tell us who did the drawings?

Posted by: ~sg | February 14, 2008 5:57 PM | Report abuse

These dances are big deals Mr. Period. We can't possibly stand for any precip on Sunday. Send up the cloud busting planes like the Chinese are planning to do.

Posted by: Comma | February 14, 2008 6:09 PM | Report abuse

Fine. I'll see you there.

(no I actually won't, but have fun)

Posted by: Period | February 14, 2008 6:18 PM | Report abuse

I truly appreciate your blog, so I don't want to sound ungrateful.. but the "Capital Weather Gang" stated "We'd love to hear what you don't like", so here goes:

1) I hate the lousy "Accuweather" radar map for current conditions shown in the left column. Besides having horrible resolution, it cuts off my community in lower Southern Maryland. (The animated radar map of Weather Underground that was utilized by your old blog was vastly superior.)

2) I get goosebumps from the annoying overuse of "on tap" to describe a future weather event. If weather is available "on tap", please pour me a long tall glass of sunny 70s, (and you can hold the ice).

Keep up the great work.

Posted by: Old Curmudgeon | February 14, 2008 6:45 PM | Report abuse

Old Curmudgeon -- Thanks for sharing. On the radar, the Accuweather image is a much clearer image than what we were showing on our old site, and it includes a time stamp. However, I can understand that you probably really liked that Weather Underground radar once you linked to the full size animated version on their site. Guess what? We loved it too, which is why the "Animate Radar" link underneath the Accuweather radar on our left sidebar will take you directly there. (We should probably do something to better identify what this link takes you to.)

Re: "On tap" ... We'll try to limit (but not completely eliminate) the use of this term.

Posted by: Dan, Capital Weather Gang | February 14, 2008 9:29 PM | Report abuse

Old Curmudgeon: Thanks for your feedback. A link to the Weather Underground radar you refer to (that you liked so much on the old site) is right underneath the AccuWeather radar (that you don't like). Just click on Animate Radar. So like the old site, that very useful radar is just one click away. We'll try to reserve what's "on tap" to visits to the bar :)

Posted by: Jason, Capital Weather Gang | February 14, 2008 9:31 PM | Report abuse

Re radar: I love the intellicast radar loop from the Great Lakes to the Chesapeake Bay. You get the (very) big picture this way, if you know your geography. In tandem with the local Nexrad, of course.

A.J.: You're welcome and i have particular interest in the W'Boro precip Sunday as I'm traveling home from there in the afternoon. Keep us all posted!

Posted by: weathergrrl | February 14, 2008 11:03 PM | Report abuse