The new Washington
Outside now? Radar, temps
and more: Weather Wall
Follow us on Twitter (@capitalweather) and become a fan on Facebook
Posted at 3:15 PM ET, 02/27/2008

CommuteCast: Chilly and Windy

By Ian Livingston

Mostly sunny and colder on Thursday

Temperatures have been mainly steady throughout the day, in the upper 30s to near 40, capped by partly to mostly cloudy skies and winds that have gusted as high as 35 mph, adding an extra chill to the air. A few widely scattered flurries or snow showers are possible through sundown. Since daytime highs have been well above freezing, expect any affected roads to be wet rather than icy, and most places will stay dry.

Tonight: Clouds will begin to break this evening and temperatures will be very cold across the area. Expect lows to drop into the upper teens in places like Silver Spring and Rockville while falling to the low 20s in the District and to the south and east. At times, wind chill values may fall into the single digits overnight as winds continue to gust out of the northwest.

Tomorrow: Temperatures across the region will be at least 10 degrees below average on Thursday (Ronald Reagan National's average high is now up to 50°). High temperatures are expected only in the mid 30s, upper 30s at best, across the area under mostly sunny skies. Breezy -- though slightly less so -- conditions will continue as well, so another day of mid-winter chill is on tap.

See Dan's forecast through the weekend.

By Ian Livingston  | February 27, 2008; 3:15 PM ET
Categories:  Forecasts
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Are We in a Snow "Drought?"
Next: News & Notes: Md. Snow, Va. Ice, D.C. Q&A

Comments

Possible 60 degree day to start next week!

Posted by: Jake in Reston | February 27, 2008 3:36 PM | Report abuse

...is it actually windy out or is the PWC Bubble doing its thing again? If it is windy it wasn't strong enough for me to notice it on my walk home from the bus stop.

Posted by: weatherdudeVA (Lake Ridge) | February 27, 2008 3:37 PM | Report abuse

its sun snowing...

Posted by: CJ | February 27, 2008 4:34 PM | Report abuse

As much as I want snow, and as bummed out as I am, I have to post this. This is directed mainly at the person that posted the "storm of the century" comment...

FEEL THAT
THE SOUTHERN BRANCH OF THIS SYSTEM WILL CUT OFF FROM THE JETSTREAM
AND PASS BY TO OUR NORTHWEST KEEPING US IN THE WARM SECTOR. THIS
WOULD MAKE RAIN THE PRIMARY PTYPE MONDAY NIGHT INTO TUESDAY NIGHT.
SOME OF THE RAIN MAY BE HEAVY SINCE THIS SYSTEM APPEARS THAT IT WILL
HAVE AN ABUNDANT AMOUNT OF MOISTURE FROM THE GULF OF MEXICO AND THE
ATLANTIC. HIGH PRESSURE WILL BUILD IN BEHIND THIS SYSTEM BY
WEDNESDAY...BUT A FEW SNOW SHOWERS ARE POSSIBLE...MAINLY ACROSS THE
POTOMAC HIGHLANDS.

Posted by: weatherdudeVA (Lake Ridge) | February 27, 2008 4:46 PM | Report abuse

the storm is still a heavy rain to mostly heavy snow on afew models, but just plain rain on most

Posted by: CJ | February 27, 2008 5:11 PM | Report abuse

So speaking of all this wonderful rain... what do you think our precipitation chances are on Friday?

Posted by: Period | February 27, 2008 5:50 PM | Report abuse

I was out fishing in Howard/Montgomery counties today and saw flurries for a good part of the day...didn't see quite as many fish though, haha.

Posted by: arnoldkh | February 27, 2008 6:30 PM | Report abuse

the 18z run had tempertatures in the 70's and severe weather, but the more reliable 12z had a snowstorm... I have no idea...

Posted by: Cj | February 27, 2008 6:38 PM | Report abuse

Regardless if we get rain or snow next week, we need the moisture bad, especially if summer is gonna be bone dry again.

I will have to say I am glad GFS shows the storm again. Augusta, I agree with your thoughts on the GFS. This winter, GFS is like a "mokey throwing darts at bullyseye". We can thank La Nina and our other good old buddy, NAO for its unusual inaccuracy this winter.

Everyone has fallen for the GFS trap this winter, especially those of us who love snow. It is hard not to get excited when GFS trends in our favor, I myself am trying to take it with a grain fo salt these days. I'll have to admit, its tough to not post when I see a snow possibility,(however remote it may be)

I'm thiking next week will be our final at bat in the ninth inning for snow this season. Lets hope we hit a home run or better yet a grand slam.

GO SKINS!!